Speaker 1: She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: Hello and welcome to She's on the Money. The smartest podcast in the country, according to the Australian Podcast Awards Wiki d we took kind of goal on the wekend goal.
Speaker 2: Yes, incredible. I cannot believe it and I did have a little bit of a teary when we were announced TOARS. It was a deep movement, I believe.
Speaker 3: But it's not the award we thought we would win.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie. I'm pretty transparent. I did think we had a better chance in business, given we are like the number one podcasting business, not to brag in terms of listenership, obviously not in terms of business quality if you are ask the Podcasting Awards, but the smartest I think that's an epic compliment.
Speaker 3: We'll take that.
Speaker 2: I will take that and I'm going to run with it, and I'm probably gonna mention it to everybody meet like when they're like, oh, what do you do as a job. I'm no longer going to say I'm a financial advisor. I'm going to say I'm the smartest podcaster in the country. Because I'm just going to stretch the award to be me individually.
Speaker 3: That's what I've said as well. I'm like, hey, mum, you've given birth to the smartest person in Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm just going to really take this and run with it because I feel like if they give us an inch, I am going to take the mile.
Speaker 3: And why there is kind of a bit of a funny twist here because where are we currently recording from.
Speaker 2: We are currently Georgia Kings sitting on the floor in my home office. You have a beanie over a microphone that is not your regular microphone. You've got a good glass of red in your hand. Because tonight, I, because I'm the smartest podcaster in Australia, locked myself out of our podcast studio right before we're going to record.
Speaker 3: You did, But I mean that didn't dampen our spirits.
Speaker 2: We're not.
Speaker 3: We're ready.
Speaker 2: It feels we're innovaty.
Speaker 3: Well, that's it.
Speaker 2: So if you guys would like to see a photo of how George is recording the podcast, please head to our stories because I'm going to post it as soon as this pod drop.
Speaker 3: Now we'll get into this show now, guys. For anyone who doesn't know, my name is Georgia King. I'm a copywriter and journalism student. I'm also the smartest person in Australia and every Wednesday I dive deep into a financial conversation with Melbourne based Money with Victoria Define.
Speaker 2: Hello Georgia King, Hello smart person. Hello.
Speaker 3: Now Today on the show, we're tackling one of our favorite topics, by now Pay Later. But what we'll be doing in this episode is taking a little deep dive into why they aren't currently being regulated in the same way credit companies are. A recent ABC article revealed that a staggering one in five people using buy now, Pay later schemes mispayments and are racking up serious amounts of debt. Yet despite this, and despite serious concerns from consumer advocates, very little is being done to regulate this industry, leaving vulnerable people even more exposed to being taken advantage of. We are going to be getting into the nitty gritty of this topic and chatting through the state of where things are out when it comes to buying our pay later and what our listeners really do need to be mindful of. But before we get there, and before our money wins and confessions, I wanted to bring up a little bit of correspondence that we had from a few days back from a listener. People who listened to the show week on week will know that the last week Victoria's money win was buying children's shoes. It wasn't your money when it was.
Speaker 2: No, it was one of our community members' money wins. And they said that they had bought children's shoes instead of adults shoes and saved a bomb.
Speaker 3: And we were like, what a win. Everyone should do it. Forget adults shoes, they're are rought buy kids shoes. Anyway, Maddie got in touch.
Speaker 1: I'm a podiatrist in Queensland. I just listened to the podcast and you wanted some clarification on the shoes.
Speaker 3: Well, I just thought i'd touch base.
Speaker 1: And just say it's not about the quality of shoes with kids shoes versus adult shoes, it's more so about the amount of material in there. Kids shoes are designed for kids a day weigh fifteen, twenty thirty, maybe forty kilograms versu an adult who can weigh fifty all the way up to one hundred. The materials can't handle the weight of an adult, so therefore they can't support the foot as well. So yeah, that's the difference. Love your podcast, thanks so much.
Speaker 3: So there you have it. Guys, we were wrong, but a big thank you to Maddie for sending through that memo. If anyone else wants to send through memos, we love hearing your voices was a bit of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please send memos, jokes, corrections, Yeah, memories for being the smartest podcast in Australia. Literally everything is welcome. But I'm also just going to say that is not deterring me from buying children's shoes because the money win is always going to be trump actual you know, safety information for me. I get it. Money wins, confessions. Let's move along, Georgia. I have a money win that I have been telling everybody this week about. I also do the entire lead up to the story. I tell them how much else going to pay? And then I tell them how much actually we got it for. And I hope that there is shocked and excited as me. So now it is your turn to hear this story. Are you ready lay it on me?
Speaker 4: Cool?
Speaker 2: So, as you all know, I also have a financial services business, Zella, and in July we moved offices, which jokes on us was absolutely fruitless because we weren't allowed to even go into the offices. Aside from that, is now November, late November, and we are now allowed to be back in our offices. So I have been looking for a minimum of six chests of draws, you know, those ones that go under your desk, the domain of I'm assuming like really thin steel, have a lock on it, a little bit like a filing cabinet.
Speaker 3: Just classic office, classic office.
Speaker 2: Really chic furniture. So I've been looking for those for ages and I went online thinking i'd get a good deal. They range between two hundred and fifty and three hundred dollars per unit, which to me is an absolute raught and absolutely not within budget because eighteen hundred dollars on chest of draws just feels.
Speaker 3: Like it's lackluster. It's anti climactic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's for the office, and I just feel like when you have an office, you don't realize how quickly expenses add up and printing ads up and the amount of highlighteds I go through. It's actually insane. Anyway, So one thing led to another. I tried to find a discounted version online and I decided to take a leaf out of my own book and check Facebook marketplace and do you know what I found there? What do you find office straws for thirty dollars per set of office straws? You didn't, Yes, I did, And they are perfect and they are in as new condition, and they have two keys per office straw, which to me is just going above and beyond, like who keeps the spare key?
Speaker 3: That's a lot. I feel like they are fresh as well. I was just in the office when we were meant to record properly.
Speaker 2: And they are honestly, they look brand new. And my friends, I got six sets of draws delivered to my office by two lovely men for two hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: So how much is that?
Speaker 2: In totally I think it was like ridiculous amounts of money. I can't do quick maths.
Speaker 3: One hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's actually sixteen hundred. I just didn't want to be put on the spot. But I've saved sixteen hundred dollars this week and I could not be more excited.
Speaker 3: That is that is a huge win.
Speaker 2: Check the Instagram stories for the pictures of the drawers, which are really lackluster, but I'm excited. So given we are all friends here. You should pretend to be excited for me. Sure, Georgia, have you got something to compete with that?
Speaker 3: It's not as good?
Speaker 2: Okay? Well, moving on?
Speaker 3: As I said last week, recently moved out and by the boys, exactly right. What's essential when you move out? Wineglasses are essential? But didn't have any. Was going to go to kmart, but didn't go to kmart, went to the op shop. What did I find? Six glasses? Really cute, really quirky, vintage twelve dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh, money win.
Speaker 3: Big fan of op shopping, always have been. And you know it's short, it's sharp. That's my money win of the week. Guys.
Speaker 2: Thank you Georgia King. I really relate to that, do you No.
Speaker 3: Let's move right along to our Facebook group victoria favorite post from the week. What was yours?
Speaker 2: Okay, So, given I get so much feedback about being mean to you, I am actually going to apologize.
Speaker 3: I think I get it too.
Speaker 2: I'm really sorry that I was mean.
Speaker 3: To you and she apparently mean to me.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we are actually like very close to being best friends.
Speaker 3: Because that strange relationship.
Speaker 2: I will adopt you as my smaller sister, as I would with everybody in our community. Actually, but given we are speaking about community, epic segway from me, I have a money win from our friend Melissa, and I actually loved this because it was quite tenacious. In addition to being an incredible money win, she said she bought her first house if by a letter dropped today. She'd been actively looking since May this year, which in home loan life is actually a really long time because that takes forever, but it also feels really disheartening. But she said she lost a whole heap of homes and I won't read it out because she wrote a very long money win, which I obviously read and a lot of people in our can comunity read this week. But she said that she had dropped a minimum of twenty letters and she only got one callback, and it was the house that she was actually buying. So she had put a letter in somebody's letterbox making an offer, bought a house. She saved thirty grand in real estate fees by skipping the middleman, and it's in her favorite suburb. It is her perfect house in a perfect location. It is one street from her sister, two streets from the school and the shops and it's in between both of their parents. She said, there's so much room for growth and she did it all on her own. And I actually love that because she got the perfect dream house for her that might not have actually been marketed in the first place.
Speaker 3: Well that's it. You never know if you don't ask, so hey, pop letters and people's letterboxes.
Speaker 2: Honestly, guys, the worst someone can say is no, and no doesn't mean bad. It just means no. They're not interested in your offer, they aren't offended by it. So I really love that. There was a very cute picture of her and I'm assuming her partner popping some champagne. I would love to know what your money win from the community is this week, because I feel like this week had some epic money wins in it.
Speaker 3: This week was amazing, Vie, but it is always amazing. My little money win is from Tenaya, who has a major money win.
Speaker 2: Not our graphics designer, graphic.
Speaker 3: Designer, the gorgeous also Tenaya. It's a different Tenaya, and she's looking gorgeous in the photo that she's added here. So she's always wanted a mirror with the lights kind of framing it. But she didn't say exactly right. Yeah, yeah, but she didn't have the money, and she's not really a makeup wearer, which I can relate to. I don't really wear it either.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie. Why do you want the makeup mirror?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: Okay, this is just me.
Speaker 3: Maybe she just likes the look of it.
Speaker 2: You know, they are really good vibe. Yeah, I'm here for it.
Speaker 3: So she found this mirror on her local buyer, sell and swap page, which I'm assuming is a Facebook thing for twenty dollary dues.
Speaker 2: That is very good. I feel like twenty bucks is like a purchase that you think about quickly but also don't feel too much, but at the same time you still do have to think is it worth twenty bars?
Speaker 3: Exactly right? Okay, so the reason it was so cheap was because there were a few dud light globes in there. But she messaged her partner asked if he could take a little look because he's an HBAC technician, which comes with your handy. Yeah right, so he's like an licensed electrician. I guess is what that means. And here we are. She's got the beautiful frame in the photo. It fits perfectly, and she saved herself four hundred and ninety dollars.
Speaker 2: That's an epic money win.
Speaker 3: It's a huge money win, especially when you it's something you really want and you know looks.
Speaker 2: Good, especially when it's so cheap. I feel like I love she's on the money for the community where we share all of our money wins and confessions. But it's also like, if you're at a point where you want to share it with the community, you've probably been telling everybody about it as well, just like my drawers, Like I've been telling everybody, And I was so close to posting it in the Facebook group, and I'm probably still going to post it in the Facebook group. I just wanted to tear it first on the pod.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I was just thinking with that mirror. We actually have one those in the pod studio, don't we.
Speaker 2: We actually do the pod studio that this week we locked ourselves out of. Thanks for reminding us.
Speaker 3: Let's move on to today's main topic, NAVI. One of the most common celebrations we have in our community is when people shut down their after pay or zip pay accounts.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love that for them. I'd also really like it on record that I've never told anybody in the history of ever to shut their after pay or their zip pay accounts. I think you guys have just like kind of read between the lines and decided it wasn't a good idea for you, and just you even saying it. Yeah, I literally haven't, and I just really felt like it's not necessary for that to be on the record. But I never gave that advice. I never said go and shut your after pay accounts. But I did say was maybe reconsider it if it's not something that actually helps you. Yeah, And I'm really glad that you guys are making decisions that work for you. I don't know, it's not obviously essential for me to disclaimer it, but at the end of the day, like, I really love that you guys are so passionate about shutting it down because the research that I'm sure you're about to read out order because you always come prepared and I just kind of free range zip Pay. Did you know that they made sixty percent of their revenue from consumers, almost all being account fees.
Speaker 3: What does that as in people that haven't paid on time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, well, account fees for having zip pay, because they've got fees for having for pay accountants. Yeah, but on top of that, you know, they're a product that charges the retailer, so you would think that maybe they'd make their money from the retailer, when they don't. They make it from you guys.
Speaker 3: They double it. Do they make anything from the retailer?
Speaker 2: Do you know after pay has a percentage that they charged the retailer, which is all hush hush. It's very hard to find unless you are an after pay merchant, in which case you can actually find that information. But it's not easily available, which is crazy. And I just yeah, anyway, I will let you get on with it before I still or your statistics.
Speaker 3: Find that interesting because I guess the retailers would have the benefit of people who may not have already been buying their products buying them because now they can use after pay.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely, and that's kind of like the draw card of after pay for a retailer.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So, say I have a small business and I sell candles. The reason I would get after pay is because people are more likely to purchase from me and purchase a candle. And the reason it's beneficial to me as a small business is because cash flow is king, right, Like that is the same for you and I like, at the end of the day, the best outcome is having the maximum amount of money that we can possibly earn going into our bank account with not that many fees, I ate, not that many things in our budget that we have to you know, outlay. So the draw card with after pay is you pay them a nominal amount, which is usually a percentage of your candle. So say you pay thirty bucks and you're paying after pay four dollars. It means you get paid immediately. So the retailer or my candle business gets that full thirty dollars at the beginning, and then after pay they chase the debt for that client. So it's putting the risk on them, and you pay for that privilege, which is great because you have cash flow for your business. But then as a consumer, if you then over commit, the risk is enough to pay, which is why they have late fees and stuff like that, because they need to manage their risk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, we will get into that because I'm no, no, no, that was good. And so it sounds like the retailer wins after pay wins slash by now pay later schemes win, but the consumer doesn't. Necessarily win anyway, we will get back to that. Staggeringly, the number of buy now Pay Later transactions increased from sixteen point eight million in the twenty seventeen to twenty eighteen financial year to thirty two million the following year, which is an increase of ninety percent. It's basically double. So these companies are moving from strength to strength. And the kicker is that they don't have to operate within the same regulations that credit card companies adhere to, which means they have no legal obligation to make sure that people using their services can actually afford to use those services. Victoria, you always say that nor one plans to go into debt, and you also did a whole show in season one after pay but I was hoping as a little recap to start us off, you could talk us through what the deal is with buy now, Pay later providers, including how they work and what your take is on them.
Speaker 2: So most of you guys are going to be across by now pay later schemes because we talk about them all the time. But for any of you who don't know what they are, just want some more clarification, don't quite get it because they are quite complex when you start looking under the hood. A buy now, pay later scheme generally allows you to have your purchase now and pay for incrementally over a set period of time. It's quite helpful in this way because instead of forking out two hundred bucks for something in one go, you only have to put up with fifty dollars and then you can pay for the rest off over time. Now, Georgia, I was actually talking to you before this episode about how this isn't actually a new concept, so it might feel quite new because after pay is relatively new to the market. But I would like to just refresh your memories on our friend Jerry Harvey, who haven't own Harvey Norman, And I bet my dollar that you guys remember your parents or someone that you know purchasing a furniture package or a fridge, or a brand new TV or a kitchen age on his twenty four month interest free payment scheme where you got to take home that day and then pay it off, and he charged you an exorbitant amount of interest if you one didn't meet the payments or two went over the amount of time that the loan was four. Now, that was established by a company called Latitude Financial Services, which you guys would probably see a lot about in the media at the moment because they have become quite large. But I just really wanted to bring that up because I was also having a chat with my really good friend David, who I will probably tell you about in a couple of episodes because he's business He's going to partner with us soon and I'm incredibly excited. But we're having this chat and it just really annoyed me that everybody thinks that it's so brand new, but there have been people out there taking advantage of us for longer than we actually comprehended. So regardless of all of this, the appeal is to make it incredibly dangerous, and it can become quite addictive to buy things. So it leaves us in a position where we are paying for things that we either can't afford to pay back or we're not able to pay back over the longer term. Because during that period of time, while we might think, oh, yeah, I'll have fifty dollars next month to make that payment, we don't think about that payment again and pre commit that money to something else, whether that is going out for drinks with our friends or buying another outfit, or buying a TV from Harvey Norman, we find ourselves in a position where often paying it back is actually harder than we first anticipate it. That, of course lands us in a seat of late fees and fun fact, actually they're not all fun. After Pay charge their customers a total of forty six million dollars in late fees in twenty nineteen, which gives you some indication of how problematic these providers are for so many people. This is also the reason why I think that there should be regulation around these things, and we're going to get into that quite surely. In terms of what my personal take is, I think genuinely that if you are using these services, probably they can probably work really well for people. I think for a majority of people, especially in our community. Now, I feel like I really know you guys, it's probably smarter to save your money first, work it into your budget, and then make that purchase. But in saying that, I know there are going to be some people listening to this episode that go Victoria, I've been using after pay for ages and it's a really great tool for my cash flow in that case, fantastic for you, but it is really still important to be aware of the traps that these schemes can actually lead us down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they do tend to lead the majority down those paths. As we will get to Victoria. You did just say it, but you do think that by now pay later schemes should be regulated.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: Credit cards have to do work around mandated responsible lending criteria. They can't just actually approve anyone for a credit card. Historically they could, though they're no longer allowed to do that though. ASEK, which is the Australian Securities Investment Commission, licenses and regulates banks, credit unions and brokers to make sure they don't allow you to access credit if you actually can't afford to pay it back. And this is a really important piece because at the end of the day, if you're not mandated, like where are the rules, it kind of becomes the wild West. And I just don't think that that's fair on people because I'm assuming that for most people who sign up to after pay, they just assume that these companies, and I keep saying after pay, it's because it's the biggest one. There's after pay, this pay, there's open pay, there's so many different types of pay. There's a new one called Klana. Like there are so many, they have different branding. They all say that they're putting us first, but none of them, Georgia, are putting us in a position where we are having our credit scores checked, where we are being referenced and making sure that we can pay it back. For some of us, we genuinely don't have the financial literacy to be in a position where we say this isn't the right prodit such for us. We assume that because we are in Australia and the most Australian thing in the entire world is to have each other's back, right, we just assume that everyone will And that's sadly not the case. So although by now pay later schemes are wrapped up a little bit differently, they really are just another form of credit and a very very easy way of sliding into completely unplanned debt the moment, these guys can literally do whatever they want. As I called them before, it's the wild West, which in my opinion is pretty unfair. And as I said before, not everyone has a good enough financial education to understand whether this is helping them or hindering them.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the thing like, with the way they market themselves, You're not silly for thinking that they are helping you out because that's what they want you to think.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and it's really sad. But a Center inquiry in early September this year surmise that by now pay later platforms can self regulate and don't need to be mandated to do so. So lots of consumer groups are arguing justified in being worried about this, And I'm worried about this, and I definitely think it's a really big issue for Australians, particularly the younger generation, particularly the younger generations of Australians who are actually responsible for sixty one percent of all buy now, pay later transactions, and they're also the ones who are missing the most payments and racking up those late fees.
Speaker 3: And what is a young person? What is class as a young person?
Speaker 2: It is someone under the edge of thirty five. But I didn't really want to say that because if you're listening to this and you are older than thirty five, like you're still young and heart my friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now there is like a little bit of light at the end of the bud, is there? Tunnel world? Sort So ASEX said in this report that the previously announced regulatory changes will come into effect in October of next year. Can you talk us through what will likely be happening.
Speaker 2: So, yes, a few changes are going to go ahead, but again I'm quite opinionated, as you guys know, and I don't believe it's quite enough. So buy now, pay later schemes sorry, buy now, pay later. Providers will need to identify in advance what types of consumers their products are suitable for. So they are to quote Georgia King direct distribution to that demographic, which essentially means they are only to directly market to those demographics. But I would argue that that's kind of up in the air, like how do you directly market to someone who's over the age of thirty five not thirty four? So I don't know. But they're also going to be in a position where they need to consider the proportion of late fees that they're dishing out and review and change the design or the distribution of their product so that people aren't slugged with too many payments they actually can't meet. Now, let's be honest, this is better than nothing, but again quite opinionated. It's not enough.
Speaker 3: When I was reading the there was something about a code of conduct in there. Can you expand on that a little?
Speaker 2: Yes? So the buy now, pay later industry is in the process of writing a code of conduct. But self regulation isn't ideal either, as it won't cover all by now, pay later players but the ones who follow it, so it's kind of a choice. There are lots and lots of new buy now, pay later providers popping up literally every week, but what they're proposing at this stage only covers a total of eight businesses, and we don't yet know what that code even looks like.
Speaker 3: Hmm okay. I read as well that a massive number of Australians are taking out loans to meet what they owe after paid, to avoid those late fees stacking up. Would you say that's a good idea or just bad news?
Speaker 1: Look?
Speaker 2: I think it's bad news because it means these buy now, pay later schemes are actually getting people into debt that they can't service. And if you're in a position where you need to then reach out and get a personal loan and take on an interest rate on a loan, it means that you're clearly not making the payments for your buy now, pay later scheme. So for me, I think that's a really terrible thing. But at the same time, if you feel like you are drowning in by now pay later debt, it is probably a very good idea to reach out to someone to consolidate a debt so that you're not paying les fee after late fee and you actually deal with it properly.
Speaker 3: It is worrying that that is even a thing that people have to do, though, right.
Speaker 2: It's insane because arguably lots of these people who do get after pay as they pay kinda open pay whatever we want to call it, in positions where they probably wouldn't have been approved for a credit card in the first place.
Speaker 3: Which is why they should be regulated. Okay, so we have hypped on about the negative side of which there is, well, there's a lot going on in there. But are there any redeemable qualities to after pay and other by now pay later services?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a good question, and I covered a lot of this in our episode in season one, so if you want to go back, none of my opinions from that have changed. But after Pay has signed up to the AFCA, which is the Australian finance complaints authority, which is really important, but it's really not enough without the rules laid out by the Credit Protections Act, which we mentioned earlier. So it's essentially them signing up to take on a little bit more authority, but at the same time, it's kind of like, well, authority for what, there's no rule. This is the wild West, my friends. They also don't charge any interest, So if we're trying to pull out all of the good things about why now pay latest schemes, they actually don't charge any interest, which is a great thing if we think about it pragmatically. Fees only coming to play if you're late on your payments. And I mentioned in season one in our after Pay episode that I've actually got a girlfriend who uses these systems religiously. So she'll go on the Iconic, for example, and order five different dresses that she wants to try on, not wing she has something on the weekend that she wants to purchase address for. She'll keep one of them send full back, and she's only ever been charged, you know, fifty bucks to do that. She doesn't get charged to the full them out in that situation. Yes, she's using it really responsibly. She has an income where she could pay that debt if for some reason she didn't send her package back, But to me, that's arguably a very big risk. But she uses it so that she doesn't have like seven hundred dollars going out of her account that then arguably needs to be refunded. So for her, it's a cash flow tool, and I think it works really well for her. But to me, those people are so few and far between, and I haven't asked her recently, but I'm not sure if it's caught up with her at any stage or made her do any impulse purchases. Another thing that I will say is that these providers can genuinely be a really good short term solution for those in need. So I've spoken about it again on the other podcast, But sometimes people genuinely need these for medical services that they couldn't have otherwise accessed, dental appointments, things for their children, in which case I think it's a fantastic service if you just don't have the cash flow. So I remember after that first episode, a number of people reached out to me and said, look, I'm on Centrelink and I didn't have the cash, but I needed to buy my daughter school shoes.
Speaker 3: You do you like?
Speaker 2: I genuinely think that if you are using it responsibly and using it as a budget tool, this could be a really great addition. But at the end of the day, you're seeing the amount of debt people are going into, the amount of late fees. That tells me that not everybody is as responsible as the people that message us and tell us that they are using her responsibly.
Speaker 3: Well, that's exactly right, and that's what the stats that we've gone through today show us. That a lot of people aren't using these responsibly, and that's something that we really need to call out and that after pay aren't going to be slapping on their billboards.
Speaker 2: You know, absolutely yeah.
Speaker 3: So my next question here, b is what you would say the role of credit cards within this conversation is, I know, to add a little competition into this field. Many banks have actually introduced no interest credit cards. So is that a better option for our listeners should they go down that route?
Speaker 2: I mean, you probably should do my budget and cashlow masterclass and never need anything again, but that's beside the point. So as an alternative to have to pay and other buy now, pay later providers, some of the big banks now do actually offer interest free credit cards, and they charge a monthly fee instead, which varies depending on the balance that you have on the car. So NAB, for example, have a thousand dollar credit limit, and you pay thirty five dollars a month with a ten dollar monthly fee on your balance, and say you had two thousand dollars on there, you would pay a minimum seventy five dollars a month with a fifteen dollar monthly fee included in your balance. And then for three thousand dollars, for example, you'd be paying one hundred and ten dollars a month with a twenty dollar fee included your balance. So similarly to a buy now, pay later program, let's call it a program. I keep calling it a scheme because it's a scam, a scam, but it's not a scam, my friends. But you won't be charged anything if you pay what you o off. The difference is that these cards can be used wherever a MasterCard or Visa is accepted, so they essentially give you access to a wider range of retailers, and they also have a continuous line of credit, which I'm not gonna lie is terrifying to me. Look we all know how big the big banks are, Like, I'll give you a hot tip, they're huge. So they cool quite seriously enter the buy now, pay later area if they really wanted to, Let's be honest, and they could walk all over the current providers who have the edge on being the first ones to do it. But banks have arguably an unparalleled access to finance in a way that After Pay and like just can't beat. So it would be interesting to see what they do in that space and how over the next few years they're planning on competing with them, because I know they arguably would be having these conversations internally because it would be really silly not to. I don't know if you guys saw the after pay share price skyrocket this year, what.
Speaker 3: Are we talking?
Speaker 2: Okay, so if we talk about it, I think that they peaked in a like late February at maybe like nearly forty dollars a share, and then in March, which is when a lot of people started buying them, there was like a little bit of hype around them, they dropped to eight dollars ninety a share ish, Like I'm sure it went lower, but that's just my memory of it, and now Georgia, they're up to close to one hundred dollars, Like, I don't know if they are a hundred dollars today, but I guarantee it would be around that. So they absolutely have shot up. But the reason they've shot up is because they're being profitable. And can we please remember how they're being profitable, guys, it's from your late fees.
Speaker 3: Ah, this actually makes me so angry. That is ridiculous, and I hate that that profit does come to the detriment of consumers exactly.
Speaker 2: And most of the consumers are people like you, guys in our community. So it feels like our job to share this information with you. If you decide to continue to use these things, that's fine. I actually just want to put you, guys in a position where you're making educated decisions, like there's no right or wrong when it comes to money, and I think that that is so important to remember because you do you like that is so fair. Your values might not be my values, but my values are putting you in a position where you're making an educated decision. And if you want to, just like one of my girlfriends, continue to use after pay because it makes sense to you, then fantastic. That company is doing great things for you. But if you were finding that those payments are spiraling you out of control and making you make really big impulse decisions and putting you in a position where you are not confident with your money, then maybe you really need to think about whether they are the right product for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's exactly right. We want you, guys to be as educated as possible. That's what our platform is for, so there's never any judgment in anything we say.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not.
Speaker 3: It's just us putting it out there and making sure it's as unbiased and true to what is the reality as possible.
Speaker 2: I guess absolutely, even though I seem to lack the ability to be non biased. But that is beside the point, my friends.
Speaker 3: The other thing I wanted to ask V was about a couple of articles I read in by now Pay Later Schemes providers services like after pay as founders talking about how the lack of regulation is a good thing for them because it allows them to continue to be innovative and like their leaders in the space, and they were painting it in this real amazing, empowering, like business savvy way. I was just like, Oh, this feels dodgy. What's your take on that.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie. I have epic amounts of respect for the after pay company. They have come from nothing and made an epic splash. They are not doing arguably the wrong thing. It is just the way that we are starting to use them and essentially take advantage of them in a way. So for me, yes, they can be more innovative, and that's fantastic for them, and it is really great. But I would then argue, where does ethics come to play in this? How does ethics actually play into the financial services space? What does that mean? How does that work? And you know, we shouldn't be putting our personal ethical opinions on things, but like, what's the baseline of ethics? Like the medical industry has a code of ethics, we don't have that for them. Why why can't they abide by the same legislation that I need to abide by as a financial.
Speaker 3: Advisor exactly the credit card companies have to do it, so why not them? I think it speaks to a lack of regard for the needs of the consumer. I think it's not good. But you guys are probably picking that up anyway. We'll move on here. This is a little bit of centavy and I think you did speak about this in our first episode on after pay Back in season one, But can it actually damage your ability to get a loan after pay and other buy now, pay later services.
Speaker 2: Look short answer, yes. When I put that first episode out, the Royal Commission hadn't wrapped up yet. So since the Royal Commission things have changed slightly. They've tightened up significantly, and you do hear stories of people being rejected for home loans because they have an outstanding Zippay balance, which to me is crazy, but it is so worth taking note of, even those providers who don't require a credit check, and it doesn't impact your credit score for anyone wondering about that. Lenders will take buy now, pay later purchases into consideration and consider them as a line of credit, because like credit cards, you're borrowing money you do not have, usually to fund items you do not need, which is why they should be regulated. This quite a heated episode, it has, and I'm just so wildly heated up about this because I genuinely think that so many of us using them convince ourselves that, nah, that's not me. I won't get out of control. I'll continue to use it and then you find yourself in even more trouble.
Speaker 3: Also, the psychology of this fee. I do have one last question, but I'm gonna sneak this one in as well. More than we are also obsessed with after pay. What is it about buying now pay later that really appeals to.
Speaker 2: Us instant gratification versus delayed gratification. I'm gonna ask you right now to look that up and put it in our newsletter. There's actually the have you heard of the marshmallow challenge?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's like these tiny children. They put in a room with one marshmallow in front of them, and they said, if you eat that marshmallow now, you won't get anymore when they come back. But if you don't eat that marshmallow and you wait when I come back, you'll get three more. The kids are like, oh, that's such a good deal, but some of them literally couldn't do it, and then eat the marshmallow and be like whatever, I don't care about The late ones like this is the best thing I've ever eaten, and some of them were really reserved. And then you know, sit back and just go okay, no problems, Like I'm totally taibe, so that would be me and I just sit back and be like, okay, cool, well, I want a total of four marshmallows, so I'm away for this. But everybody works differently. Everybody has a different personality. And some of those kids like kind of picked up the marshmallow, licked it, put it back to it down. Some of them like sniffed it and made sure that they actually didn't want to eat it. Like all of us have different levels of control, and that is human nature. But at the end of the day, by now pay later schemes are going to play into you as an individual if you are someone who really thrives on instant gratification, and that means getting the item now and not considering future you. That's something that you and I talk about all the time, and that is putting future you first, Like they are so important, they deserve your respect, and they deserve you to start putting them first. Because the sooner you start putting future you first, the sooner you're going to feel like you've been put first by yourself.
Speaker 3: Love that from you, Indeed, that was nice. The red ones are hitting the girls.
Speaker 2: Please don't tell anybody that we're drinking their red wine.
Speaker 3: My life is really hearty then as well, beautiful. I just wanted to add in there as well that like, it feels so much better when you save and save and save and then you splurge on that item that you've been so looking forward to, rather than saving a quarter of what it costs buying it then, and then you've got the item, and then you still have to continuously pay for it. It's like that is just not what anyone wants to be doing, so I don't know, just bear that in mind as well. But my last question here for u V is what would you love our listeners to take away from this episode and what do you want them to be mindful of when it comes to Buy now, Pay Later.
Speaker 2: I just want you to be mindful of your purchases and whether they're actually relevant to something you absolutely need right now. I don't think this episode should be taken as by now pay later programs are awful and terrible and going to destroy you. I think it's more please understand that some personalities aren't going to work. And I'm going to be really honest, and this is not me being on my high horse. It's just how I manage my life, and I used to be in personal debt. Like that's something that I've been through, So don't get me wrong. I know how it feels. I know where you've come from. But I think that if now you know, nearly thirty year old me terrifying had after pay, I'd probably use it really responsibly. I cannot say that twenty one year old Victoria would have used it responsibly because she racked up a personal loan and didn't pay anything off apart from the minimum repayments for a very long time. So I think future me in this situation is arguably more educated than twenty one year old me. But twenty one year old me wouldn't have second guessed it. I would have just thought it was a fantastic way to look really great every weekend.
Speaker 3: Which is why it is so risky. Yeah, I think everyone has gotten the gist of today's episode, but now it is time to move across to the listener question.
Speaker 5: I have a question about a friend of mine who I feel is getting herself into a bit of trouble with after pay. She always has the newest and best clothes and takes a lot of pride in that kind of stuff. But I'm worried she's taking it too far. I know she has no money, and I'm worried that it's going to spin out of control. As her friend, I feel I should intervene, but I'm not quite sure what to say. She hates talking about money and tells me that it makes her anxious, and I don't want to patronize her.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 3: This is a massive dilemma, Victoria. I don't think I quite know what to say. Have you got any thoughts to kick us off?
Speaker 2: I feel like this is actually a pickle? Is that a thing that we say in now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pickle?
Speaker 2: Can that actually become a sortem catch frase? Can that be a sort catchphrase?
Speaker 3: I'm open to it.
Speaker 2: I really like the pickle. We're in a pickle? How do we work this out? But genuinely, this is so something that I'm sure a lot of you have been through because it's very hard to not notice your friends new outfit or pair of shoes or bag, or the consistency of those things coming in. And whilst we can't pry on everybody else's financial situation, who knows, maybe Georgia King has a trust fund she hasn't told me about. I do think that caring about your friends is something that is really important and I always talk about, you know, the importance of being kind. But sometimes being kind isn't easy. Sometimes being kind is really hard, And this conversation could come off as you know, being really condescending, and it could be you know, your friend getting up in arms. And arguably, when you make someone feel uncomfortable, they get immediately defensive. So I think starting to have conversations with your friend around money and not going immediately to the issue that you want to talk about is probably a really great way. So, without being self promotional, start recommending that she listens to episodes of the podcast, Start talking about money more openly, Start sharing your money goals. Often when people are in situation where they're using buy now, pay later programs, they don't have larger financial goals, and that is something that if you do have larger financial goals, you're going to start thinking about more. So maybe recommend that they sit down and have a chat about, you know, the goals that they have, or like, what are you trying to achieve or you know, oh my gosh, something's in my way. And I really want to get rid of that, maybe talk to them about barriers that you've got so that they feel open to share their journey. There's something really special about showing your vulnerability so that your friend or the person you're talking about actually reciprocates.
Speaker 3: Well, that's it. You're kind of planting that seed, because otherwise it could seem kind of like an intervention and it could be quite scary, and you're right, she would totally go on the defensive. But I feel like this question kind of extends to like, if your friend has a boyfriend that you know is just bad news, and it's like, do I have that conversation with them or do I not? Like I feel in my heart like my values would tell me to speak to that friend openly and honestly. Depending on your relationship. If they are your best friend, then I feel like it is almost your role to do so. But at the same time, they're going to do what they want to do. But when it comes to money, I think just starting gently definitely getting involved with shoes on the money. I feel like our podcast, again not to be self promotional, but I feel like it is a really gentle way of having these conversations about money that we've not had before. And I feel like a lot of people have come to our podcast and to our community and have felt, oh wow, like money isn't so scary. After all, we're all going through this together.
Speaker 2: It shouldn't be scary. It should be just something that we talk about in the same way that we talk about loving dogs. Like I'm so open about that conversation. But at the end of the day, these are really hard conversations to have if you've never had them, kind of like speaking a different language and no one's comfortable speaking Japanese. If it's your first day, you might know how to say hello, but that is literally the extent of your knowledge. But the more you immerse yourself in it, the more you understand, the more you feel like you're empowered by that. And to me, I think it's just really important to care for your friends, and I think maybe preface it with that and just be like, hey, I really care about you, and I just wanted to point out that. I just feel like maybe that's something that isn't that great for your future. Yeah, And something else that I think is really important is not expecting a response from that person, like just put it on the table, drop it, walk away. It is not something that they need to justify or talk to you about unless they're really comfortable to do so. But I think the way I would approach that is, Hey, Georgia, I just really need to get this off my chest. I really want to talk to you about this. You don't have to come back to me with a response right now. You don't even have to come back to me or with a response at all. I'm not expecting it. I just want to let you know how I'm feeling. Because your friend's not ready for that conversation. You've probably been mulling it over in your head for the last week at least. They're not ready though, because they didn't expect you to say that, so don't expect them to come straight back. It's the same with any conversation, whether that's your partner, your parents, like, don't expect people to be as prepared for a conversation as you are when you've had all of the full time to prepare.
Speaker 3: I guess the moral of the story here is that we're both very supportive of having that conversation. She might not respond that well, but I think it is important as her friend to let her know that you're there. Assuming she's a girl. I'm not sure if she was, but yeah, I think that's the moral of what we're trying to say here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, And I think it's just about being kind to your friend and being kind to yourself. And like, my friends, if you're in that position and you're finding yourself in a space where you are spending unnecessarily, like let me be that friend. You don't need to do that. Like, at the end of the day, you're not putting future you first, and she's or he's or they are really really important.
Speaker 4: Hey, I'm a twenty three year old Kiwi and this is my military money diary.
Speaker 3: Now let's take a sneak peek into the financial lives of perfect strangers. It's time for money diaries.
Speaker 4: I used to be a terrible savor and a terrible spin there. I used to really like live in the moment, and I'd spend my money really frivolously, and I always would tell myself that the experiences made it worth it. But the problem was that I would just go on to debt without a second thought, and I seriously didn't think about how it would impact my future at all, and it kind of makes me a little bit sick thinking about how much I worked throughout my student years and how little I saved and I have nothing to show for it. But yeah, I've completely turned that around thanks to She's on the money, which is really cool. And I have a completely different attitude towards money now, which is security. And I guess coming from that place of financial insecurity of being a really broke student, like I literally would be skipping meals and I remember eating the most sad little meals of like playing potatoes because I had nothing else. And now I'm a lot more protective of my money because I know what it was like to really struggle.
Speaker 3: What does our peee money diarists do? How much does she earn and how much is in her accounts.
Speaker 4: I'm a legal opposer in the military, which is basically being a deployable in the house lawyer uniform, and I am a recent grade, so I earn about seventy two thousand a year. That includes a four percent contribution that my employee makes to kwisaver, which is the New Zealand fund that you can use for your first time or retirement. I have sixteen thousand in my kwisaver. At the moment, I have a three thousand dollar emergency fund, and then I have a fully funded sinking fund, which is about one thousand dollars for me personally, and I have six hundred of my main account and then five hundred in my long term savings, which has taken a bit of a hat because I've made a couple of big purchases in the last few months. I bought a new car, which was five thousand, and I had to get a new laptop, which was eighteen hundred. But that's the first time that I've ever been able to pay for things outright and not had to go on to debt, which was pretty cool because I'd been saving.
Speaker 3: What I have thought was on investing.
Speaker 4: I'm really wanting to start investing. I've never felt stable or secure enough in my finances to start, or even my own abilities to start. But yeah, Victoria, her passion for it has like really inspired me, which I'm sure she'll be happy to hear. So I really want to start, but I am finding it hard because I guess I've come from a place of real financial insecurity in the past, so it's quite hard for me to put money towards something that I'm not one hundred percent confident, and so I really want to grow my confidence in that.
Speaker 3: Does she have any debts?
Speaker 4: Just last year, I was still a really broke student and I had over five thousand dollars of debt, but over twenty twenty and thanks to she's on the money as well. I've paid it all off.
Speaker 3: Thankfully.
Speaker 4: I didn't have any credit cards or anything with interest on it. I just had an overdraft I had after paying lay by, which I closed for good, thank the Lord. I also had fifteen hundred dollars of a nine thousand dollars in visiline debt left to pay and just a little bit owing to people that had helped me out. But yeah, completely paid that all off, which is such freeing feeling, and I don't feel stressed about money now, which I'm very blessed and privileged to feel now. I just have my student loan which is sitting at forty three thousand, five hundred, which covered me doing my bachelor's and then my Master of Laws.
Speaker 3: What is her best money habit?
Speaker 4: I think my best money habit is that I've always been very minimalistic, like I really don't like owning a lot of stuff. I find shopping and having things quite overwhelming. And I live in barracks, so that kind of helps. Like I don't have a lot of space, so I don't often get swayed by sales or like unnecessary luxuries.
Speaker 3: I guess what's her worst money habit.
Speaker 4: I used to be a terrible savor, but that's in the past. I think now my worst habit was I have a lot of disposable income that I leave in my main account.
Speaker 3: Every fortnight.
Speaker 4: I put about fifty percent of my take hompaign into savings and student loan, et cetera. But then I keep that other fifty percent just sitting in my account, mostly because of that fear of being called out or unable to pay for things or help other people out. And I think that just comes from my history with finances. So it makes me feel more confident and secure having it just sitting there. And to be honest, there's a good part of it. It keeps me on track with my savings because I don't end up dipping into it. But I think I definitely could budget a lot better and probably save more if I just had a bit more control over it.
Speaker 3: What's her big money goal.
Speaker 4: I would love to hit ten thousand in my savings account. That would be a huge achievement because I've never saved more than five thousand. And I also just really want to start investing.
Speaker 3: And what grade would our ken we military money giroists give herself? I would say a B.
Speaker 4: I used to be like below a D like a Z right at the bottom. But I definitely have improved heaps over last year. And I think when I have a longer history of saving and start investing, then I will feel more confident and probably bump up my score a little bit.
Speaker 3: Victoria, our military money dirist, what did you make of it?
Speaker 2: To be my little sister? Am I allowed to open adoptions for siblings? Is that cool? Can the entire She's on the money community become my sibyl?
Speaker 3: I have one hundred and ten thousand little sisters, and I love.
Speaker 2: That, like little sisters, little brothers, little them's, Like I love this. I don't know if my little sister's going to agree with that, though, Like Alex, please let me know if you actually listen to my podcast and got this far into it, please like let me know if I'm allowed new siblings. But I really liked her, and I just felt like, such as she's on the money advocate, like girl, I love you. But what I found really interesting was that she was able to save, she was able to spend, but she still felt anxious about it because she didn't have a plan. So for me, the number one tip I would give her is create a plan around your money, because she said that she was leaving fifty percent of her income in her spending account just because it makes her feel safe. And I totally get that. At the end of the day, you should be managing your money in a way that helps you sleep well at night. But if you don't, I don't have a plan, you are not able to maximize how much you can save and invest. She said she wanted to invest, and I'm going to make a grand assumption. She lives in barracks, which is a very privileged position to be in just because obviously a lot of stuff is supplemented or paid for, because that's the way these things work. Because she's literally putting her life on the line for us, which is epic and something definitely worthy of recognition. For me, I think it's definitely really important to have a plan in place and without I feel like this episode's so self promotional Georgia King, but I'm actually going to send her a log in to the cash Flow and Budget Masterclass, because I think that is actually the answer, like the way it steps you through, And obviously I've thought about this for more than a year how to create it, but the way it will step her through creating a plan is going to help her make her money work for her instead of she just being a little bit anxious about it. No one deserves to be anxious about money.
Speaker 3: I think it's really interesting as well, how much she's changed over the last twelve months. Glass last year she was in five K of debt, She's paid it all off, and now she's she's got it all going on. I don't think I wrote enough notes of everything that she's got happening, but I think three K in emergency, six hundred somewhere, five hundred in her long term savings. She bought a laptop.
Speaker 2: I've written a lot of note she bought a laptop, she bought a car. She's, in no doubt like she is epic, and that's an a plus to me, Like you're an epic person, and I just feel like it is so important to celebrate those money wins and not be anxious. And I don't know, I just feel like that's so cool. Also, cheers for all the credit you gave us, friend, Yeah, like we don't deserve it. At the end of the day, if you're a part of our community, the most important thing that you can remember is that we didn't do this. You did this. So many people will be listening to this, and our information and our knowledge and whatever else we've got is falling on deaf years because they're not ready to make the change. If you are changing, that's all on you. You did that. That's why we celebrate you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, beautifully said fee. Do we think it's time to wrap the show. If you got anything else.
Speaker 2: To add I do just before we head off, I'd like to acknowledge and pay respects to Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people's, the traditional custodians of the lands, the waterways and the skies all across Australia. We thank you for sharing and for carrying on the land which we are able to learn. We pay our respects to eldest past and present, and we share our friendship and our kindness.
Speaker 3: The advice shared on Australia's Smartest podcast, She is on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She is on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. And we promise Victoria Divine is an authorized representative of Australia Pacific Funds Management Propriety Limited ABN three four one three two four six three two five seven AFOSL three three nine one five one. And a big thank you to Ryan John, our producer, for putting together today's show.
Speaker 2: Also Mad congrats. Ryan John has just been announced as the breakfast summer radio host on Kiss FM with Lauren Phillips, which is epic and like now we can say we know a.
Speaker 3: Favorite people here does that start? That starts next week?
Speaker 2: It starts next week? Ryan, We love you, But you know what else we love how she's on the money community. So if you'd like to join us where our community shares money, tips and tricks literally every single day, free of judgment. So She's on the money and join us on Facebook. If face looks not anything you can also find us on Instagram, where she's on the money a us also on TikTok. We're probably trying to get in all of the social platforms, but most importantly, we are on your team. The last thing I wanted to say, which we definitely should have said earlier, was a big.
Speaker 3: Thank you to everyone who voted for us in the Podcast Awards Listener Award.
Speaker 2: I guess absolutely that was a topic.
Speaker 3: We're in the top ten.
Speaker 2: I mean, we can't compete with Life on Cut because that's ourably my favorite podcast, and I get why it was number one. Yeah, but like we tried, and I'm so.
Speaker 3: Grateful you we got lots of votes, so we're yeah, very grateful. I guess, as we always say with you guys, and yeah, just really appreciated.
Speaker 2: Sending so much love. We are very happy campus this week. So with that, let's let's wrap. See you next Wednesday, friends,