Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of The Sitdown. I'm Matt Trolope, a rat an editor for oz open dot com.
Speaker 2: And I'm viv Christie, managing editor for Australian Tennis magazine. And Matt, why are we sitting down with Todd Woodbridge for a second time?
Speaker 1: Well, if we sat down with Todd a couple of weeks ago for an episode that you can go back and find in your feed, but we decided to make a special part two focusing on all of Todd's Wimbledon achievements and memories and milestones because this was a tournament that he dominated at. He's got his greatest historic achievements there. With Wimbledon on at the moment, we felt it was fitting to bring you this episode. We also chatted to him about an amazing piece of Wimbledon history he holds he's the last player at a Grand Slam tournament to defeat a player in a triple bagel. That's six love, six love, six love. Now I will just clarify I said in the interview this was the last time that happened. It's actually happened a few other times in Davis Cup matches, but yeah, this was the last time that happened at a Slam and just feels fitting that it was Todd that achieved it.
Speaker 2: And like so many Australians, Todd's tennis dreams were sparked by watching Wimbledon late at night as a child, which is where we pick up this fabulous interview.
Speaker 1: Todd Woodbridge, thank you very much for joining us on the Sit Down podcast. I remember you mentioned once that you specifically developed a game that would succeed on grass. I hope I remember that correct, all full success at wimbledem That was my goal, right, So I was going to say what inspired that and what did it involved? Was that your idea? Was that a coach that did that?
Speaker 3: Like, No, there was inspiration from watching so so I used to get up the middle of the night. I would go to bed seven eight years of age and I'd say to Dad, I'm going to bed, Can you wake me at ten o'clock to watch the start eleven o'clock And I watched an hour and a half two hours and then go back to bed and get up and go to school. I mean little taker. Put the heater on, sit in front of it and watch them come out in white tennis balls, all of that, and that was where I wanted to go.
Speaker 4: That was the dream.
Speaker 3: It literally was that whole thing of a dream. And to do that, Like I remember getting into the ais in Camber and you go, Okay, what have I got to do to have this dream?
Speaker 4: Ossie Serve.
Speaker 3: There was a perception of what tennis players were. We were good on grass. Clay wasn't necessarily our surface. But there are two different mentalities back then because you played on bad grass courts, not great grass courts that were all right, ball bounce sideways, it'd kick up. Go watch YouTube and see the old women and stuff. The ball's going here and here, and you needed to get forward and you had to be aggressive. That was our mindset and the clay courters in Europe a different mindset. They were rallied, they were moonballers. They'd sit there and they'd lob it back at you, they'd frustrate you. Well, games evolved differently from that now. But I made a decision I wanted to be better at Wimbledon than at Roland Garross very early on.
Speaker 5: Out of all those events and all those highlights, is there one in particular that sticks out to you?
Speaker 3: The most winning Wimbledon for the first time ninety three. The year before, we'd made Semis and lost to grab Brandenburg in five sets. The fifth set we had five rain delays and we lost at six to four. So you're coming out every two games trying to serve and keep momentum. I think we were serving second and they went on and lost an epic match to mac and Roe Stick in the final that year, and so all of a sudden, my mind, you're looking, we can do this. Mac and Roe Stick, huge names, you've got, you know, we're close. And then the next year winning and there's the dream and then the dream I spoke about a couple of times in these types of situations. The dream was you jump up and down, you roll around, you wave at everybody.
Speaker 4: It's that moment, right, and then you go to the side of the court and you sit down and you go, is that it can't be it?
Speaker 3: There's got to be more, There's got to be more euphoria, and you kind of actually then have to work out how you're going to do it again. I actually think winning at the second time and four fifth was even more rewarding. Each time you really understood what it took about about doing that. But the one thing about playing at Womland which is weird is that never ever did it feel like.
Speaker 4: You would offending anything. It was just always turning up. I'm going to win it again? Or can we win it?
Speaker 3: And the psychology of sport and how we all act as humans is incredible because I didn't do that anywhere else have a good result. Oh god, how are we going to keep our ranking?
Speaker 4: Singles?
Speaker 3: In particular, I've got all these points to defend and it's such a heavy burden. Never did that happen when I walked in at Wimbledon to play.
Speaker 1: That's so curious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we're a bunch of nutters. Well it worked for you, yes, not do it all year round.
Speaker 1: I don't know there was something about there. Obviously you weren't five times in a row, So yeah, that's no.
Speaker 3: I think I only know if I reflect upon my career, which I can do now because I'm older, and it's something like ten finals from let's say the first one in ninety three are retired in ninety five, made ten finals and one nine of them and lost one eight six in the fifth, And I look back, Wow, how do we do that and it's a week because it's a joint effort, but also to keep mentally fresh, injury free, turning up positive. And that then makes me reflect upon Nadal and a singles player doing what he did, and even a Roger at Wimbledon and Novac extraordinary feats of athleticism and human mentality.
Speaker 5: Well, we speak about your double success a lot, obviously, but we have to mention nineteen ninety seven Wimbledon, your run to the Semis obviously wins over people.
Speaker 4: Like Pat Rafter.
Speaker 5: Is there like something you took away or something in particular, I should say you took away from that career best run in singles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was an interesting time. So on grass I would always play well.
Speaker 3: The people that I would lose to would be the biggest, serving better grass quarters than me, bigger athletes, stronger, and that used to annoy me a lot. And I had a good draw in a sense that I played really well once in big moments. You know, I got Pat on court three, good court for me to play him on, dodgy court, right little slopes. I knew where the ball used to pivot off a little bit, so he couldn't get the clean return it gave me opportunities like that.
Speaker 4: Doesn't happen so much anymore. Every court's perfect.
Speaker 1: Well it's a new court three now, isn't it's at Yeah, it's a billiard table, so the ball doesn't move, doesn't do the same things.
Speaker 3: But I got lucky with the court drawer that day. Two his later, I played him on court two, which is the billiard table court, and every ball he could make, and it made it really tough. But the thing that happened to me there was that I always believed and knew that I could do it, but I always felt a little.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It was like a.
Speaker 3: Little car with a one stroke engine taken on the six cylinders, and you just can't beat them after a certain pier. They're too big, too strong. And I almost felt at the end of that year that how am I going to get better?
Speaker 4: How can I come back and redo this?
Speaker 3: And that was that's a hard thing to start mentally thinking about. You have to make major change, and so maintaining singles, rankings and things then became hard, you know, And you look at me now in this game, modern game, very difficult. I'm a skills player. I was a tactician and a skills player. I wasn't a fast athlete with masses of power. I had to do things differently, and grass gave me the chance to be able to do that most of the time. So the people that got me, say at Wimbledon were Sam Press a couple of times. I'd got him once, but Todd Martin and Wimbledon finalist Gosh ed Berg a couple of times.
Speaker 4: They're all hard.
Speaker 3: All guys would go through, you know, through the draw, so you know, poor me, boohoo.
Speaker 4: But was pretty good.
Speaker 3: But but that that was something I was very proud of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've got some quirky stats as part of your career. Okay, good, good quirk Well Vic found a really good one.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Sam Press.
Speaker 5: So that it was the first time he played at Wimbledon. That's the first time you played each other. Did you have any initial you know, I guess reactions to seeing him and thinking.
Speaker 4: Oh, this guy is going to be win the US Open.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Later that year he lost to him in the ninety seven semi but you actually, yeah, in his first ever match of Wimbledon was against anyone.
Speaker 3: We played on court nine second row, Tony Picard, who was Stephan Edberg's coach, big deal. You know, Stephant was the waiting opponent. He was out watching, and it was was kind of like we were the next era coming along of you know, maybe's and he hadn't done anything at that point yet. But we all when I say want a major, it was good. So it was a tough draw. I go out played just solid grass court tennis and get a win and then have to play Stephan Edberg on the center court in my next round get a set. So I'm, you know, a monngst good contenders at that point. But Sam, when I won the US Open later that year, I mean, his trajectory judgment sure, and mine kind of. But it's still pretty special to have had at least one win against him there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think that's what's cool about it is the first time he ever played at wimbled in a tournament. He wore going to rule he had to go through you first, and he didn't make it in that particular.
Speaker 5: Match, and you'll always have that.
Speaker 1: I was like, I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: I wonder if he remembers.
Speaker 1: And the other thing, I'm pretty sure this is right. You're the last player to record a triple Bagel, Is that right, I think so.
Speaker 4: Do you remember the match?
Speaker 1: Yes, very much so in the I think of Wimbledon in two thousand.
Speaker 3: And final round of qualifying against you and.
Speaker 4: Love, love and love.
Speaker 1: That's and it's extremely rare, just in men's tennis history. How did you do that?
Speaker 4: How did I do it?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: Again?
Speaker 3: It was a real grass court, true fast. It had been a little hot period. We're playing at Roehampton. I was still playing really good tennis, obviously, but I'm not in draws, so i'm he's there and I get through.
Speaker 4: Ordagrin had had a couple of really good wins.
Speaker 3: He'd actually been in a section that had taken out Dick Norman, the Belgium huge serving who's really he was troublesome for me. He actually beat me in the main drawer one year where he'd beaten Edinburg Cash and then I lost to him, and then he went on I think lost to Becker in the next round, so he could do massive damage. So I was glad to see him out. But Joan had this issue in that he wasn't really a grass court. He had a good run he got there. It was not a bad draw for me, but he had the wrong shoes. He had regular shoes. He didn't have the grass court with the dimple then to kind of get the extra grip. And the courts had got kind of burnt out, slippery and dry, and I could get him quickly into a piece, and he just kept sliding like a clay court and had no way to come back, and he lost all confidence, all grip on the court. And I was ruthless, and.
Speaker 4: I it's just ice skating. And he wasn't a cervolley at any kind.
Speaker 3: So he's staying back on a court that I just need to make a really short knife, a little backhand in there, and I could get in and rush him. And I played pretty flawless obviously to be able to maintain that for that long. And he and I he coaches now and every now and again he sees me and he looks at me, goes. But the funny thing was to that story too, is that later in that year, I think it was later in that year, I go to Stockholm to play the indoor tournament and I go to practice with him, and we should we play, said, and I go up for love, and he eventually wins a game. And there were people standing watching oh RH for him when he finally got a game, because everybody knew the story and he and he takes it beautifully. Actually, it'd be hard to do today, that's for sure. But again that's my point about surfaces. It can happen. You know, it used to happen to really good fast cat players on clay. I remember Terry Champion might have had his moment against Sergiebighera on clay where he wasn't great fast cat player, but you know it could happen.
Speaker 4: Very interesting.
Speaker 5: I love that story.
Speaker 1: You got to have the correct equipment and you've seen a lot of years and competed against some of the greatest, like we've talked about Sampress and Agacy and all those other people's. Ed Burg was another one who were the who was the best or the toughest player you faced.
Speaker 3: In your Again that's them matchups. But my worst nightmare of a matchup was Andre Agacy. Okay, yeah, it was just like everything I did just sat in his pocket. It's like, well, here we go again. It's all about those matchups. You know.
Speaker 4: It's funny.
Speaker 3: Do we talk a lot in this one about Pete Sampras playing Pete wasn't as scary as playing an Andre for me because I knew I could hang on to Pete, I might get to tybreak, and maybe I can luck out and win a tie break. And that was where he played too, by the way he would just sort of hit it around, then build pressure and try to break you. But he knew he'd never lose you serve, so he had confidence to play that way. But Agacy was such a clean ball striker and if you gave him anything to hit, he had you in trouble. And plus he was such a brilliant returner. So in that in that space, he was great. But in terms of the others of the era that I played, I came up when Ivan Landel was number one, played him a couple of times as number one in the world, and he changed our game from everyone worked hard, but he brought a different work ethic to it. And he was a ferocious and intimidating competitor. And when I was a teenager coming along, the locker room was an intimidating place. There were those guys did not make you feel welcome. You know Connors, Yvonne, you get to know them, but at the beginning it's intimidating. I don't think it's the same now. I think I think Federer changed that a little bit. Rap of their manner was different to how ones before used to hold hold court, so to speak, and how they went about it. It's very different, you know. In some ways, I love all of the opportunity we have to get content, microphones, under seats, everything everywhere. But it's actually changed the dynamic of the player to play a relationship because there was banter, there was ribbing. When you went round the net post, people would talk to you, they'd say, they'd swear at you under your breath. The umpires didn't hear it, didn't ignore it. But that cannot happen anymore. So there's this whole there's a cleanness to it that is antized.
Speaker 4: We're not getting away with anything.
Speaker 3: No, And I would love to see a little bit more of that, because it becomes more of this and this, of like that psychology, and that was definitely there. You know, as I tell the story about Pat Cash, I qualified for Wimbledon for the first time in main draw seventeen years of age. Unbelieve I get to play the defending champion. There's two locker rooms I'm in the number two locker room. I get brought up to the champions locker room to walk on the Santa Court.
Speaker 4: He doesn't even say oh to me.
Speaker 3: I sent him a I seen him a note for his sixtieth and I reminded him of that and why I am this young Aussie? My bad cash center cord at wimbled unreal.
Speaker 4: He didn't even say hello.
Speaker 3: And I still remember that vividly, like, Okay, this is going to be a bit different. And I think we played the match. He shook my hand and that was that. Because he was a Wimbledon champion. I was just some you know kid, scruffy kid coming along there was That was how it was like until you really proved yourself.
Speaker 1: Okay, so interesting. That is so interesting because that was that. Particularly if it was a Nussy to a Nussie. Now you'd imagine it's like Matt, nice to meet your good luck today and beat the living.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I just love that.
Speaker 5: You reminded him all these years later.
Speaker 4: Never let him forget.
Speaker 1: Did he know, no, no, no, the he was at that point, Todd, this was an absolute pleasure. Thanks for joining us today to chat and yeah, thanks to pleasure.
Speaker 2: Well Matt. Isn't it nice to be reminded of how much Todd achieved at Wimwooden And it wasn't just a different time in terms of how players actually plagued tennis, but I guess how they also interacted.
Speaker 4: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: But it's all water under the bridge now because we heard just the other night Todd and Pat in the commentary booth together side by side, which was fantastic to hear.
Speaker 2: We'll be back next week with another episode of The sit Down. Please remember to subscribe so you never miss an episode in your feed, and we'd love you to leave us a rating and a review. See you next week, Matt, See you, Mbib