Speaker 1: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom, finding financial agreements? What are they who needs one? And are they actually worth it? My name is Jessica Riki and I'm not a copywriter, but you should know me by now, and I am joining as always Miss Victoria Divine.
Speaker 3: Hello is Jessic Goddici?
Speaker 4: How you going?
Speaker 3: And you want a Wednesday episode?
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I always feel like I have big shoes to fill on a Wednesday, but today it's goologized.
Speaker 3: Georgia apparently has a lot to do, and you are helping the team out to make sure this podcast gets in their ears every single Wednesday, and it is very much appreciated.
Speaker 2: We love it. She's in demand, she's a busy woman. But today you're actually not going to hear too much from me because talking about binding financial agreements, I'm not a copywriter. I'm also shockingly not a lawyer.
Speaker 3: You don't know? Sorry, so you didn't lie on your application to She's on the Money when you were trying to get employed by us?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not.
Speaker 3: I did know that, and I'm not a lawyer either. Jess. And while I talk about binding financial agreements all the time as being really important, I always say speak to a lawyer, because that's what you absolutely should do. So Jess, what are we doing today?
Speaker 4: We're gonna see to a lawyer.
Speaker 3: Oh not me, a real lawyer. So we are lucky enough that Lucy Percy from Head and Heart Estate Planning has agreed to come on the podcast today and answer all of our perfect questions. Jess. I had a really beautiful conversation with her earlier and I can't wait.
Speaker 4: For you to hear it.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited. Let's it jump straight in.
Speaker 3: We're jumping straight into this, Lucy, straight into the deep. And can you tell us what's a binding financial agreement and why do we need one?
Speaker 5: Okay, So, a binding financial agreement is, as the name suggests, an agreement, a contract between two people. It's going to operate in their lifetime. So the key thing there is it's not going to cover you after death. And we are contemplating people in a relationship and they want to set out the guidelines and have some certainty about what is going to happen to the assets that they create together and what is going to happen to the assets that they own or control or create separate from each.
Speaker 3: Other, which I think is really important. And obviously, like as a financial advisor, I talk about these all the time, but at the end of the day, you're the authority in this area. You are literally an estate plan lawyer. So putting people's things in order is your bread and butter that you work with every single day. But what kind of assets are we talking about? Are we talking about things that you've already done? Like what if I went and bought a house before I met Steve? Like, is that something we'd put in there? Is it only the stuff that we do together?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, So it can be things that you have accumulated before you were together, or things that you do while you're together. I think there are most of the people who I refer to get funding financial agreements are in a situation where they have brought different assets to the relationship. They're doing their estate planning, but quite often they're living in one of the properties that the other has accumulated prior to the relationship. And it's not as simple as saying you get out what you take in, because someone might have often contributed to the mortgage repayments or capital improvement and so or you know, if there's been a really great capital growth, do you want that reflected in some way. There's also tax benefits to living in the property that say you might own as opposed to your partner, and so, you know, it's a little bit tricky then saying let's just walk away with what we bought in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that that's a really important conversation to have as well. And I know in now she's on the money community, this is a bit left field, sorry, Lucy. But we've had people say, oh, I just tell my partner to transfer money that I use to pay my mortgage off just named as rent, so that they can never claim anything towards my house or if we break up, they can't say that they paid half the mortgage.
Speaker 4: Is that true? No, not at all.
Speaker 3: And I'm really smart and I was like, let's actually ask a lawyer this question.
Speaker 5: No, there is no one size fits all approach to what's going to protect your asset. And quite often it might be a BFA in conjunction with if you're owning property together, you can have property agreements, joint venture agreements. Will you need a blanket approach, and a BFA is a piece in the puzzle. Most areas of the law can cut through what you are purporting to do and they're actually going to look at the facts of what was happening. And I think the other point to make with family law, when a relationship deteriorates, it is not so much about what was yours what was mine. It's about what sort of dependency has been created.
Speaker 4: Between the two people. So even if we could put a line in the sand about.
Speaker 5: This is yours, that's mine, and there's no difficulty in you know, saying that was rent only it is about that dependency. And that's the way it is with a state law as well. So you know, you can say what you want, but the law is complex and dependency is a huge part of it, not just what was yours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's exactly why we need people like you were easy, because it is different for everybody and it is one of those things where we don't actually know. And I think a good example of that is if we feele or my male took all their time off to raise kids and then they went through a divorce twenty years later, it's not actually who earned what is it. It's very much based on who put what in and who put what in and what the dependency is, right, Like, that's what you mean when you say dependency right.
Speaker 4: Correct and missed opportunities.
Speaker 5: So you know, if we had someone who was entrepreneurial or built this incredible business and the other person was the stay at home or the primary carers, so exactly the case for my husband and I right now, that needs to be reflected. So yeah, definitely it is nuanced. And so you know, to add to that, you know when you said you know, it does make lawyers important, and so I would caution people against hearing the word BFA, typing it into Google, finding a bot and filling it out because this is an area of law where you need legal advice attached to the documents.
Speaker 3: Okay, important because at the same time, I am very lucky Steve and I have a blinding financial agreement. It's no secret, and we did go through a lawyer to set it up, but it was kind of a prerequisite of me saying you want to live with me, here's the deal, and thankfully he was like, yeah, okay, no problems, Like that's about you protecting your business and she's on the money, and you protecting Zella and everything that you've worked for. But in the same way, it was about protecting his income because he has a nice job, and I would never want to turn around and you know, bite him in the bottom. I guess you could say. But that was an easy conversation, I mean not super easy, but an easy conversation for me to have because I'm a financial advisor. Talking about money, talking about wills, doing all of that kind of stuff is just second nature to me. But at what stage does everybody need that? And how do we go about that conversation?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I think when we're talking about binding financial agreements, there are suppose three things that I want you to think about. If you your cell phone property and you are not sure if you were in it what we used to call de facto, but it's actually domestic, unregistered domestic relationship, go and get advice. If you are expecting an inheritance, or if you've had a business take off or an asset that has really increased, then that might be a certain time to do it. When there's a change in your earnings or your asset position. And the other trigger that I want you to think about is if your parents are separated, or maybe one of your parents's widows and they're talking about entering into a new relationship, you can share this knowledge with them and say, hey, I'd feel so much more comfortable if you asked about and did abiding financial agreements. So I always try and tell people absorb the information for yourself and then keep your ears peeled for your sister, your mum, your dad, your aunt, like share.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that one thing I've said on this podcast before, and I'm sure you're probably going to subscribe to this as well, Lucy, I don't mind being the bad guy. You want to bring me up and say, oh, Victoria, listen to this podcast. Victoria and Lucy were saying, we need a binding financial agreement. Blame it on us, Say we told you that you needed it to break the ice and have that conversation with your partner, because it is really hard if you're sitting down one night having some stir thriving like, oh, hey, Lucy, I was wondering, have you thought about a binding financial agreement. It's a very different conversation than maybe using Victoria and Lucy as an icebreaker, which I think can be you know, a little bit of a good stepping stone, So feel free to abuse that and use that however you like my friends. But we said before what you can use them for and how that works, whether it's a business or whether it is you know, inheritance. But can it be used for other stuff as well? So for example, if you planned on having a kid and it was agreed before time that you would take time out to look after that child, could you agree that your partner ends up paying you a sum of their income or puts it into super for you or something. Can that be in a binding financial agreement.
Speaker 5: Look, it's fantastic stick the people are having these conversations with their partner, whether or not that has a place in the actual agreement might not be appropriate. So when we write documents and agreements, we want them to be able to be really easily.
Speaker 4: Interpreted and applied.
Speaker 5: And you know, we don't want too many contingencies in the future that might not be able to be enforced.
Speaker 4: So it might not be in.
Speaker 5: Your best interest to have this really broad document that's trying to control everything.
Speaker 4: And there are some things that you're just going to have to approach as a couple.
Speaker 5: As life comes at you and what's appropriate at the time, But we really just want to take care of the nuts and bolts of your assets and things like agreements about what would happen if you had debts those Really, you know, it's like putting the rocks in the jar and then the sand might be all those things that you talk about and that flows through, but it might not all go in the agreement itself.
Speaker 4: But as long as you're talking about it, it's a complete plan, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Lucy. So maybe that one isn't something we can add to a BEE, But what are some other things we could add to bfas that we need to be aware of?
Speaker 4: Great question.
Speaker 5: The main thing that I would like to see your listeners protect themselves against in a BFA is sexually transmitted debt.
Speaker 4: So maybe you have a partner gree it's yeah, a business.
Speaker 5: Maybe they've got you know, I don't think we talk enough about gambling addiction, ye, addiction common.
Speaker 4: Yeah. On my first day of work as a lawyer, my boss.
Speaker 5: Said to me, if there's ever money missing and you don't know where it is, it'll be gambling.
Speaker 4: And that has really held true for me.
Speaker 3: So disappointing. That's such a good like a helpful piece of information to be given on your first day. We're also like heartbreaking in a way because it's so common.
Speaker 5: It is so common, and I think that people are not aware of it, so you know, just be aware that that is sexually transmitted.
Speaker 4: Debt by nature is often something that will be hidden.
Speaker 3: And yeah, exactly, And it's so hidden and people say like, oh, well, it must be a certain type of person, or it must be you know, somebody else that wouldn't happen to you know, people we know, but there's no profile. And I actually have girlfriends, numerous girlfriends whose partners have essentially fretted away thousands and thousands of dollars. It's not uncommon. It's really like it's heartbreaking. But they'll say, you know, my partner lost ten thousand dollars or my partner, you know, actually spent eighty thousand dollars over three years. Like I have heard these conversations not from our community, from my friendship groups.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, me too.
Speaker 5: In my work, it's actually a question that I ask every single client, is there a history problematic gambling? I don't make the mask. I say, if there was, this is what we would do. And I think that having your debt a dealt withinner bare fey means that you can walk away. You know, ending a relationship is hard enough as it is. And we also know that for women who take on that debt, there's so much shame that they should have known better, done better, being smarter.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's not on your because you weren't educated. Not everybody has an army of lawyers when they get into a new relationship, Like you don't swipe right on Tinder see their profile and also their debt levels, like that's not how the world works. But Lucy, we've even had money diarists more recently who have said, oh, my partner had a gambling debt or a debt that they know even just illegal style debts where they have taken out credit cards in their names or personal debts and they've been left in lurch with that and had to pay it off. Like this is the kind of thing that you could be protected from. That's really important, Like these aren't little things.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 5: And I think also in this current economic climate where businesses are really suffering, you know, setting aside gambling debts, this is a reality there's going to face many small business owners, especially people with leases that are secured or we just really want to make sure that all of that is dealt within your BFA.
Speaker 4: You know that there's certainty that when you want to leave, you can leave.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that is so important because we're not just talking about oh, okay, protect the asset you already have. You might not have any assets and still really think that a BFA is something that is right for you.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So obviously, given you're on this episode, Lucy, we as she's on the money, think it's really important to get proper advice around these things. And not every single person in a relationship needs to get a binding financial agreement.
Speaker 4: Right, that's correct.
Speaker 3: So if we do feel like we need one, where do we go? How do we set one up? You said before, we shouldn't just go on Google and get a bot to do it. So Lucy, what do we do?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? So, I have a stable of lawyers who I refer to. Not all family lawyers do binding financial agreements, not all of them believe that they are enforceable in majority of situations, and not all of them are able to deliver it in a cost effective manner. So a binding financi agreement is only the output is only as good as the input, and so it's not a matter of simply filling out an online questionnaire and your lawyer will draft it. And so some lawyers really don't offer them because the time that it takes with a lawyer one on one to discuss the strategy what's appropriate, your partner will need a lawyer. So my recommendations to find a lawyer are Facebook groups. Your local Facebook group. I always think word of mouth referrals are the best.
Speaker 3: Couldn't agree more. I'm partial to a good Facebook group louse.
Speaker 4: True, Well, she's on the money is local to everyone.
Speaker 5: So I might share my list of there's a dozen family lawyers who you know comes up in a state planning all the time. And I'm like, this covers you in your death, this does not cover you in your lifetime. You need to do this as well, And so I have a list of names of firmsuit I.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, yes, we would adore that. I'll put it on a social media post and we'll also add it to our website so that people can always access them.
Speaker 4: Awesome, Well, that's a really good starting shortcut. I have prequalified them actually only last month I was like, Okay, who does them? I am going to highly recommend working with a lawyer.
Speaker 5: And if you are at the stage where you have an asset to protect, then I think that you're at the stage where you just need to invest invest in this advice.
Speaker 4: I'm in a preventative area of law.
Speaker 5: Estate planning prevents fights, bfas prevent fights, and I think that, you know, I just can't stand by the value anymore than that.
Speaker 3: So talking about it being worth it, obviously, if you've bought a property and had that for a number of years before getting into a relationship, it's going to have been a really significant financial investment. So in my mind that means that you probably should be spending a couple of thousand dollars to protect that asset. Like it's kind of like an insurance policy that you're taking out in a way on your relationship, which seems a little bit morbid, but we know this. That's tell us, Lucy that fifty percent of marriages actually end in divorce, And while that's not a nice thing to comprehend, it kind of justifies why we are actually doing these things. So how much will a binding financial agreement set us back.
Speaker 4: It is going to vary so much.
Speaker 5: And I will say that when I created that list of qualified lawyers saying they did do it, they all said it is an expensive area of law because it all depends on getting your actual facts, how you truly live values of things.
Speaker 4: So I would say between three thousand plus and.
Speaker 5: Different firms will vary in price enormously, and so you know it is worth taking that half a day off and to ring around maybe the whole dozen on the list, and you will find someone in your price range and it will be worth it.
Speaker 3: And I don't know how you feel about this, Lucy, but I feel like when it comes to having a lawyer, yeah, you can absolutely do remotely, but it is actually quite important to have one in your state just because there are different rules and regulations.
Speaker 5: Well, with family law, I do not have any concerns referring people across the country.
Speaker 2: So a lot of them take that back to my friends.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, this area of Laura, I think has such a national focus. Wills it definitely state by state, but for finding financial agreements, the principles are national.
Speaker 3: Well, that is why you are here. And I'm not directing this conversation this time.
Speaker 5: When a client comes to see me, I always say that ninety percent of the work has already been done.
Speaker 4: All we need you to do is do.
Speaker 5: You research, talk to a family lawyer, have that first consult, and they will coach you through how to introduce this concept that you want a BFA to your partner. So literally they'll be able to say, in your exact circumstances, these are the top three reasons why you're reallyship is going to benefit from it. And so let the lawyer coach you in what to say. I literally say to people, do you want to practice talking about it? When I'm trying to coach them through running a will or something like that, I say, let's have that practice conversation.
Speaker 3: And it really helps, It really really does. And I think that helps in any circumstance when it comes to a sticky conversation or one that you're not super confident. Having role playing with a friend or a family member or your lawyer can be really really effective. But talking about all of this stuff makes it seem so much more common than it actually is. And according to a little bit of research I did before the podcast in Australia, Canstar says that only six percent of couples actually have bfas Lucy. Why is the percentage so low?
Speaker 5: I think that this speaks so beautifully to one of the things that I love about Australian culture so much, and that is that we are optimistic and we have a Shelby right attitude.
Speaker 3: So I love that in one I think so too because I also try to do some research into how many Americans have prenups, because this is similar in a way to a prenup, and the percentages did range too significantly for me to go, Okay, cool, this is what it was, but it was significantly more than six percent.
Speaker 4: I think that the.
Speaker 5: Second part would be that it is very true that binding financial agreements are commonly set.
Speaker 4: Aside by the courts, so they are not bulletproof.
Speaker 5: And again that goes back to they're only as good as the input and the lawyer that you use, and they're not appropriate in every single circumstance. But your lawyer will tell you that, They'll say, don't spend your money, it's not worth it. It's too late at this situation. The earlier you go and get advice, and the earlier you put this in instead of waiting for the event that makes you go, wow, like the pennies dropped, I need it, And then it might be that it's really difficult for the courts to agree that it was made in good faith and without a little bit of pressure.
Speaker 4: So a really great example would be your mum or dad has passed away and we know that.
Speaker 5: There's an inheritance coming of two million dollars, and you go, right now is the time I need a BFA.
Speaker 4: Of course your partner signed it.
Speaker 5: They were under duress, Like, but you know, if you go and do it at the start of the relationship, when we're not contemplating an exact circumstance, it's just going to happen more weight if you both went into it without that pressure.
Speaker 4: The very common one that just won't apply to.
Speaker 5: Your audience is when they're signed within a week or a couple of days before a marriage.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, but I think that that's really applicable at the end of the day because we might, you know, have a demographic of people who are going through that situation that go, oh my gosh, that's so true, like that's you know what I did, or that's something that I was pressured to do, in which case might not stand up in the way that you think it's going to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right, And I think then the next important point is don't do them under pressure. You can do them at any point in your relationships, so you know, take your time, go and get the independent legal advice. But I think that that statistic probably speaks to our nature, the uncertainty that they might not hold up.
Speaker 4: And also just that.
Speaker 5: I feel like people need to shift their thinking about all of these investments.
Speaker 4: And Cheese on the money, does this.
Speaker 5: So well, championship so kind no think championing in this advice.
Speaker 4: As an investment.
Speaker 5: And you know, we really need to start thinking about all of these things as just part and parcel of being a homeowner or in a relationship, and they're just the cost of doing modern day life.
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree more. And Lucy, we're going to take a really short break and then I'm going to ask you some questions about when bfas don't work and ideas for you if you don't want one, don't go anywhere. All right, Lucy, we are back. And before you mentioned that you don't have to have any assets to have a BFA, but you might anticipate some things in the future, so it might be worth setting one up to make sure that you're not doing it under due rest, which is very good advice. But if you don't have any assets and you don't think that there's anything coming in the future, does that mean that we probably don't need one.
Speaker 5: Well, and starting point is let's look at the nature of your relationship, and maybe you don't need one, but you want some certainty about what you're contributing to your partners asset building or if you're paying some of their mortgage, paying them rent.
Speaker 4: That might be why you want something.
Speaker 5: If you are not sure, if you're asking yourself this question, it means that you probably should get advice because if it's even a question in your mind, that to me is the trigger that you should.
Speaker 4: Talk to a lawyer. A lot of lawyers will give an initial consult.
Speaker 5: For either free or very cheap, especially if you're not asking them to draft information. And what I think is invaluable that you're going to take out of that meeting is understanding the trigger point when you will need one. So all of those roomors out there that are like don't leave a tooth at someone's house and then you're not a de facto partner And.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, is that true?
Speaker 3: Is that how we get out of it? Lucy, No, not at all. So you're saying I could have actively left a toothbrush at Steve's house much earlier than I did.
Speaker 4: You should have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, honestly, I should have made my mark earlier than I did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're so little. Yeah, sayings like that, they're just myths.
Speaker 5: But what you will find out from your lawyer is the parts of them that are true and what does constitute a domestic relationship And it's going to apply.
Speaker 4: To your assets in your BFA.
Speaker 5: But it's also really handy to know for things like you're super and although all these other areas of law, but I just think if you went and spent four hundred bucks on an hour with a lawyer if you're not.
Speaker 4: Sure if you need one, it's just going to be the best investment.
Speaker 3: I absolutely agree. And four hundred dollars can seem like a lot to swallow, but at the end of the day, if you're at a point where you're like, I don't know if I need a BFA and I'm moving in with this person or starting a relationship or whatever your situation might be you don't need to get one, but if you're really questioning it, four hundred dollars is a very reasonable amount of money to spend. To be told, don't worry about the three thousand dollar BFA. It's a very good amount of money to you know, have a bit of peace of mind and get some advice that is going to be tailored to your personal situation, because that lawyer is not just going to talk at you. They're going to ask a few personal questions, Understand what you do, your partner does, how it works, and they'll give you advice that's specific to you because unfortunately, Lucy, we can't do all that on a podcast.
Speaker 5: No, that's right, and it'll carry you through this relationship and future ones. You'll know, okay, this is the timeline, or this means are the circumstances about sharing a home? You know it's there is actually an amazing resource on a government website that I sent to my clients, and it asks questions like, if you live together, if you have a cleaning roster, that probably means you're not in a de facto relationship, but if you share cleaning, it means that you are in it. When you plan holidays, you know, so there's I'll share it for the group because I would get to put.
Speaker 3: The link for that in the show notes so that you guys can all access it. But I do feel like that could be really helpful. I don't have a cleaning roster. I have my cleaning schedule and that's just for me. Does that mean I'm in a de facto relationship Lucy, you're an independent woman? Independent woman? Or moving on from that, We've talked about it on the show before, and we've talked about it just before. You've said that our lawyer might be able to equip us to have these awkward conversations, and we said, blame it on Victoria or Lucy if you want to bring it up, but let's broach this. How do we broach having these kind of conversations with our partners? It's so awkward sometimes. Do you have some hot tips if we don't want to blame it on Lucy and Victoria or go directly to a lawyer.
Speaker 5: I think, I mean for the people who are planning to do this, I'm going to say that you are by nature responsible your planners, and I just think that if you broach it with your partner and they're surprised. I'm going to be surprised because you know, your listeners are educated and savvy, and I think that that should surely be coming through in their relationships.
Speaker 3: Too, So I would hope so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, So I think that Number one, don't assume that your partner is going to think that this is coming.
Speaker 4: From a bad place.
Speaker 5: They will probably already know you as someone who is a planner and responsible and they'll just be like, oh, yeah, that's just true to Victoria's style.
Speaker 3: It's going to stereotype you straight to type a my friend. They're going to see it a mile off.
Speaker 4: So don't worry about it.
Speaker 5: They already know that about you, and it's probably one of the things that they love about you.
Speaker 3: It's cute that you thought that they wouldn't see this coming though, Hey, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: They know you better than you think.
Speaker 5: And number two, I think when people want to have a conversation or and the other is avoiding it, I say to them.
Speaker 4: Just ask them what's the harm, Like, what's the harm in giving me half an hour and you know, or what's the harm in listening to this podcast together?
Speaker 5: What's the harm in us both having that free chat with a lawyer, that three fifteen or whatever they all do. I think if you can hold their hand and get them from step A to step B and then step B to step SEA, and if it applies, the lawyer will do the rest of the work. You've just got to introduce the topic and just don't be afraid. It's your future that's at stake.
Speaker 3: I agree, And I think that the other thing. I've said this on the podcast before, but it's something that's seen me really well through all good conversations, whether it is with my friends, my family, my partner, you know, people that I work with. I've always found that approaching things from an emotional perspective, not crazy emotional, but an emotional perspective instead of a accusatory perspective has really helped. So saying hey, Lucy, you make me feel like XYZ is much better than saying Lucy you always because it changes the tone of the conversation to hey, this might not actually be reality. This is just my experience, as opposed to just being straight accusatory of it. So maybe saying things like hey, I feel like this is something we should consider, not we need to consider this can be a really soft way of starting a conversation like that. That kind of promotes kindness and promotes a really soft and easy conversation, because I think that one thing that we easily forget in conversations like this is you've been ruminating about it, You've been thinking about it. Maybe you've already spoken to a lawyer, so you're ready for this conversation. Your partner might not be privy to all of that, so this might be the very first time they're hearing about it, So you kind of need to tread gently and kindly because they might not be in the right mind space. It might not necessarily mean oh my gosh, they weren't receptive to it. It might just mean they need an hour or two to go, oh, okay, that's the conversation we're having today. I thought we were just going to talk about our grocery list, or oh, I thought we're going to talk about going to your mum's on Saturday. So I think it's really important to approach the conversation really kindly and softly, remembering that you're obviously more educated and more equipped to have that conversation in the moment, and it's actually okay if they're not ready. It doesn't necessarily mean they don't want to have it. They might not be surprised, but don't be offended if they're like, oh what, I don't want to have this conversation right now because they just might not have the mental capacity, which I think is very fair as well.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I see it all the time in my estate planning practice.
Speaker 4: Nobody wants to.
Speaker 5: Do their will and no, thank you, And I say that my clients have a six month consideration phase. First of all, they identify that they have an issue, and then they think about it, and then they filter through all the different solutions they could have, and then they arrive at the time where they're ready to do something about it. Partner, the respect of having their own consideration phase and the strength of the document hinges on everybody doing it voluntarily.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I wouldn't agree more liter you. And I know deeply that it's always an event that promotes people to do these things, and that's not necessarily the best time to do them either, So speaking about making sure we're doing them voluntarily, and you said before that obviously if a BFA is done under fraud or dures, it's not actually going to stand to the test of time and the courts are maybe going to throw it out. Are there any other occasions where bfas could be completely null and void?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: If you are not truthful with the assets, that you won't when you go into the BFA. So if you're hiding part of the picture, then the BFA the context that was made in is just going to be irrelevant. So full and frank disclosure. It's also the best way to keep your lawyer's fees down, just you know, be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it make seems less complicated, correct, Yeah, we can get it right from the start, as opposed to you know, pushing out and reiterating and changing and going Actually we need an entirely new agreement. And I mean, I'd like to think that everybody has just little hidden emergency funds and apartments off to the side that they haven't told their partner about. But the reality of this is usually it's hidden debts, isn't it, Lucy.
Speaker 4: Correct, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: So yeah, if the information wasn't full and frank, if there was any pressure to enter into it, if you didn't get independent league advice, So if maybe your lawyer drafted it and they signed it without a lawyer explaining it to them, that's going to.
Speaker 4: Be an issue.
Speaker 5: There are a lot of circumstances where it can be set aside, if your lawyer hasn't drafted it to comply with the legislation, or if you've used a botch that you know, miss some bits. But the point that I want to make is that you are no worse off for trying. And if it is thrown out, what will happen.
Speaker 4: Is that you'll be in the family court and you'll be seeking a settlement that.
Speaker 5: The court will approve, and you're no worse off for having tried with a BFA first. Or maybe a part of it will be upheld, you know, maybe it will uphold it in terms of your parents' inheritance, but it won't stand up for the property that you built together. So yeah, that would be the key takeaway that with the law, unfortunately, nothing is watertight.
Speaker 4: But we still think that you're better off for giving it a go than not.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's super interesting and actually really positive because you're right, it's better to just have tried than to have not tried at all. So keeping all of this in mind, if someone listening just is not convinced that a BFA is the way to go. What advice would you give them, Lucy, talk.
Speaker 5: To your friends who have ended relationships about the reality of how simple that was or how difficult that was. Do they wish they had work?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Lucy, I think you know, you can listen to us.
Speaker 5: But it is those personal stories that I know move people from into decision or a fixed note.
Speaker 4: So yes, and I say, go and talk to so and so.
Speaker 5: Have you ever known anyone who has been divorced, Maybe it's an art maybe it's an older family friend, and.
Speaker 4: Just say what was it like? And you know, they put separation and divorce up there with the four worst life events, don't they up there?
Speaker 3: They do. They say it's one of the most traumatic events you can go through, which I'm not. I mean, I'm trying not to be dramatic on this podcast, but Lucy, I am always dramatic on this podcast. And I mentioned this statistic before that fifty percent of marriages and in divorce. You're saying that fifty percent of people who I am married are going to experience one of life's most significant traumatic events. Like that justus really not good?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Absolutely, I think that human need for certainty. We just can't get it when we're going through a separation.
Speaker 5: But if you have this element of your relationship taken care of, what happens to this debt, what happens to this asset, that certainty will just you know, carry you through so much through a really difficult time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I've said this before again on the podcast because I'm just getting to a point where I'm a bit of a broken record my friends. But one of the things that I really like about bfas or you know, setting yourself up from the very beginning, or you know, working out what would happen to your assets if you did divorce, is that you're actually in a really special position at the beginning of your relationship. Like everybody is really excited about moving in together or maybe getting married, or you're maybe really excited about the new relationship, and at that point in time, you actually want the best for each other. Like I want the best for you, Lucy, and hopefully you want the best for me, and you do respect that. Maybe I do want an inheritance protected, or that house that I worked my entire life for before I met you, I want to protect that, and you're very likely to respect that in the moment because we're so in love and we want the best for each other. But if we were having that conversation when we're in the middle of a divorce and Lucy are cheated on you, so you're bitter at me, you don't want the best for me at that point in time, and we're having a conversation where you don't like the other person and therefore feel like maybe you're owed something or maybe you don't actually want them to have a better outcome. So I really like the idea that we get to have this conversation about a binding financial agreement at the start of a relationship, if possible, or at any point that you're actually in a really good mind space, because it means that at the end of the day, you can go, you know what, whatever happens happens. We might not love each other anymore, we might not want anything to do with each other, but this agreement, like, I'm pretty happy with it because I wanted the best for you and you wanted the best for me, and we were both really comfortable with it at the time. And I think that for me, that's a really nice part of the process where it's not actually like, Lucy, I want half of your stuff. It's like, hey, we agreed to this, like when we just wanted the best.
Speaker 5: Say that all the time with a state planning as well, I'm not asking you to do anything that I'm not also signing up to. Yeah, exactly, I can't control what your lawyer says to you on the other half of a BFA matter. And you know, they might give you advice that says that you deserve more or that you.
Speaker 4: Know, paying rent is actually contributing to the equity. And I'm happy to roll that dice.
Speaker 5: Because we're just going to listen to the advice and take it as it comes. And yeah, I'm not asking you to do anything that I'm not doing too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that that's, you know, a really important point, because we're not recommending considering a BFA to put you in the best possible position. It's actually to put your relationship in the best possible position, which unfortunately some people just don't see it that way.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, that is so interesting. I honestly had no idea how many little bits and pieces there were to think about. I guess finding financial agreements are something that aren't that commonly talked about. I want to say, and they aren't.
Speaker 3: I mean they are if you're in the She's on the money community. We're all financially savvy people, but it's one of those things that we need to get nitty gritty on these topics. And Jess, I think my favorite learning from this was when Lucy said that, actually, if you don't have a toothbrush at your partner's house, it doesn't mean you're not in a relationship with them, which is a very common myth that people say, Oh, if you don't put a toothbrush at their house, you don't actually have a de facto relationship. Lucy busted that one. It is a myth, which is kind of sad for all of you who maybe have been doing that. But Jess, did you put a toothbrush at James's house early on or were you one of those people that just waited till you moved in together.
Speaker 2: No, I'm pretty sure I set up shop in yeah, please very quickly. I like my luxuries. The three in one shampoo, conditioner and body wash was really not going to cut it for me, so I made sure I came prepared.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, did you just take it to his house every time or did you literally just like all right, cool popping this one in your shower. Also, I have a toothbrush here. I've actually just cleared out one of your drawers. It's mine now, Is that what I happened?
Speaker 2: Definitely the latter one. I just moved in and set up camp pretty much. But enough about that. I will definitely make sure that we link that website in the show notes. That sounds like it's going to be really handy and worth checking out if you're interested in learning a little bit more, because you know, as we covered, there's a lot to take into consideration when you're thinking about BFAS And a huge thank you of course to Lucy for sharing her expertise and her knowledge. Will also have her linked in a show notes as well.
Speaker 3: Of course, and hopefully jess we can convince her to chime in more often on the podcast when we need a legal representative, which I think would be really helpful. So if you have any other suggestions or questions for Lucy, please shoot them through to our DMS or comment on our Instagram. We are always watching and always open to questions that you guys might have. But Jess as always. Albeit you haven't featured a lot on this podcast, I do have to wrap it up here, so as always, just before we head off, with like to acknowledge and pay respect to Australia's Aboriginal and tourist Raight Islander people's they're the traditional custodians of the lands, the waterways and the skies all across Australia. We thank you for sharing and for caring for the land on which we are able to learn. We pay our respects to elders past and present, and we share our friendship and our kindness.
Speaker 4: The advice shared.
Speaker 2: On She's on the Money is generally nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. Shees on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or a financial decision. And we promise Victoria Divine is an authorized representative of Australia Pacific Funds Management Proprietary Limited ABAN three four one three two four six three two five seven AFSL three three nine one five one.
Speaker 3: And Lucy's a legit lawyer. Guys like that wasn't fake news, Like saying Jess is a lawyer for example, see you next week. Guys, Bye the