Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Order Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money. If you are like the many households feeling the pinch when it comes to transport costs, you are not alone. The Transport Affordability Index by the Australian Automobile Association or the AAA, has revealed the average Aussie household spends almost five hundred dollars on transport each week.
Speaker 2: Five hundred bars. Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm just in the background.
Speaker 4: And where'd you come from?
Speaker 2: Five hundred dollars a week? That's what some people earn.
Speaker 4: Beck I know, I know that's so hectic. So today we're gonna give you all the tips and tricks you need to relieve some of that pressure you were feeling when it comes to your transportation cost fun. Thank goodness, I feel like that's a lot. I guess like when I think about tollers, you got your petrol, which is like a million dollars a leader.
Speaker 2: Now we're gonna break it down.
Speaker 4: Let's break it down. Joining me today is the woman who's all about helping you keep that hard earned cash in your pocket. I say it like this's some one extra, it's like another person here, but.
Speaker 2: I always dive in, like you write these beautiful intros after I'm like, this is what we talking about, and then you're like this is where you come in V And I'm like, no, it's not, but that's really cute.
Speaker 4: So to keep it a surprise.
Speaker 2: So who's with you? Wow, betrayed Vine, Molly BECKSI yed. Thank you for having me. Oh you're so welcome, thank you for being I'm excited to talk about transportation costs today mainly because once we started digging into this, I was so mad about how much we're spending on transport I did not realize that it was that much, and then when I reviewed my own budget, Beckett, is indeed that much, and it's just not okay.
Speaker 4: I know. So I can gather you were as shocked as I.
Speaker 2: I was as shocked as you are. I have had a little bit of time to mull it over. According to the report, over the twelve months to June the thirtieth, twenty twenty four, my birthday, transportation costs for the typical Australian household rose by ten and a half percent. That is almost triple the CPI increase of three point eight percent over the same period. It also showed that in the June twenty twenty four quarter, typical Australian household spent seventeen percent of its income on transport, which is now up from fifteen point nine percent twelve months previous. Who like a double whole, I mean, up from fifteen point nine percent. But beck I had never deep dived into the statistics around what transportation costs, and I feel like if I made this episode a year ago, I think I still would have been offended. At fifteen point nine percent.
Speaker 4: That is massive and also worrying, of course, So how do we break down those costs.
Speaker 2: So the report says that the average household spend on transport is four hundred and fifty eight dollars and eighty two cents, and forty six point two percent of that goes to car loan repayments for an average of two hundred and eleven dollars and eighty two cents, and then BECK one hundred and one dollars and forty four cents, or twenty two point one percent goes to fuel checks out. I don't think anyone's surprised by that one. We're spending on average forty three dollars and fifty eight cents on insurance. That's nine point five percent. Servicing and tires take up seven point seven percent or thirty five dollars and thirty six cents, which I feel like so many of us forget to spend on. So just a reminder, if you haven't got your tires checked, do it now. Registration, CTP and licensing is thirty two dollars and fourteen cents per month or seven percent BECK. And we're spending twenty dollars and ninety nine cents on public transport and two dollars and thirty six cents on roadside assist.
Speaker 3: Beck.
Speaker 5: I know, when you like start to add them all up, it really starts to eat away your budget. I know, and I feel like I've said this a million times, but we're so good at not zooming out when we.
Speaker 2: Look at car costs. I go, what's to fuel this month? You go, yep, one hundred bucks? And I go, great, Nor does that make sense? Move on? We forget to really budget in registration CPT what your actual license in your wallet costs?
Speaker 4: True?
Speaker 2: Exactly, because like you're not paying that every single year. Most of us are paying it like every five or ten years usually. So we forget that roadside assist. Did you remember that some of us pay that? Because I forgot that.
Speaker 4: I am shocked by how little it is, and I don't know why. It's because it's.
Speaker 2: About one hundred and twenty bucks a year on average.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, chat.
Speaker 2: And eleven dollars and fifteen cents on tolls each month, Beck, which I need to tell you about something. I'm in a little bit of trouble.
Speaker 4: What did you do?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm in trouble with the police. Beck.
Speaker 4: I would never have thought it's me.
Speaker 2: There's going to be a warrant out for my arrest. Do you want me to tell you why or should we just not tell anybody and leave it be on Lucy.
Speaker 4: That's cruel, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Okay. So I recently got a new car and did everything for it, but the thing I forgot to do was update my tolls. Yeah right, So obviously the toll company has been sending me in voices, but very complex, very I guess privileged position that I'm in. My car is registered in my business's name. And as you know, I've recently moved offices, haven't I Oh, which is exciting. So all of the toll letters have been going to my old office and I haven't swung past there in a little while to pick up my mail. So get my mail, beck And not only are their toll notices and I saw them and I'm like, oh my gosh, that's so silly of me. I need to pay them, put them on my desk. No worries. You would think that's where it ends. The police. I've sent me a fine for driving on toll roads without the toll licensing or whatever it is. Yes, I didn't realize that the police got involved in that.
Speaker 4: Well, I hate to break it to you, but I have had at least twelve of those exact same things.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I'm not going to jail. I'm not going to go to jail.
Speaker 4: I don't like this part of Victoria. It is a very Victorian thing. I never had this in Sydney.
Speaker 2: You were like I could not pay my tolls, and nobody would come trying to arrest me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or at least I'd be like, oh, you need to pay your tolls. And if I can't pay my tolls, it's because they can't afford my tolls.
Speaker 2: I felt like i'd been dibbitdobbed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because now it's like with the police, you at least ten times more than the actual time.
Speaker 2: I'm thankful that there's no demerit points. I just have to pay a fine. But like I just forgot to register my car, and like, don't get me wrong. Of all people to have not done something, it should not have been me, Like I should be better than this. I get it. Crucify me, but I'm just a girl.
Speaker 4: I'm just trying to make it in this.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just trying to make it in this world.
Speaker 4: I get it. Okay, I think we can say about listeners. Some of these costs, do you reckon We could obviously.
Speaker 2: Yes, Like I didn't come here to just have a silk about something and then walk away and be like, this is your problem to deal with. I don't want to do that.
Speaker 4: For my entire life.
Speaker 2: Purpose is to save people money and get them investing so that they can be rich. Like I want everybody to be rich.
Speaker 4: It's so nice.
Speaker 2: It'd just be so fun.
Speaker 4: Would be fun.
Speaker 2: You're all rich, Yeah, Like we can all be rich friends.
Speaker 4: That's the goal, all right.
Speaker 2: So I obviously want to start by talking about getting a better deal on two of the bigger ones. So your car loan and your insurance, those are like big hitting ones we're going to start with. And I know for some people, Beck, they might feel a little bit icky when it comes to asking for a better deal. Yeah, drop the ick at the door. We don't have ick. We want to be rich and rich people they ask for a better deal, Yeah, that's rich girl energy. Here's the thing. If you don't ask, though, Beck, you don't get so you can stay with your crap deal or you can get a better deal. When I put it like that, it makes you feel a little bit bad for staying with a crap deal, doesn't it that's my intention moving on. Great, No one's going to ring you out of the blue and be like, hey, here's a better deal for you, Beck, because that's just not what they do. And they're definitely not going to say, oh, we're going to cancel your loan or your insurance just because you asked. Sadly, So you've got nothing to lose, and here are the steps that you need to take. So start by doing your research. For car loans, compare interest rates, fees, and the loan term. Then for insurance, check out the premiums, coverage options, and the customer reviews, which I think is really important because at the end of the day, insurance I want to be the biggest waste of money ever, Like I want you to be like, damn, I didn't use insurance. Great, nothing bad happened, you didn't need to claim on it. Money win, life win. But when it comes time to claim, reviews are really important because if it's then a really fickle situation to claim or they're not nice to deal with, Like, we don't need that in our lives, especially when you're probably already stressed because you probably had a little bit of a bingle with your car. The more you know, the stronger your negotiation position. So just a quick heads up. If you're using comparison websites, remember that some of them are actually just marketing tools.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's true.
Speaker 2: They might be getting paid to promote certain retailers, which means they're not always showing you absolutely every single available option. You might need to dig a little bit deeper, do a bit more Google. You could be missing out on better deals elsewhere. And our community member Jess, I've pulled this from our Facebook group. She says, before you do your research, wipe your cash on your browser so that your history is completely clear on your computer, so that the Internet shows you new customer prices instead of current customer prices when you look at your current provider. Oh my gosh, smart girl, Thank you, Jess.
Speaker 4: That's really clever.
Speaker 2: Yep. And they often offer new customers better prices to lock them in, only to jack up the price next year. It's called loyalty tax. We've done an entire podcast episode on it. Look it up. I've heard stories of people canceling their current policy only to sign straight back up with a new one with the same company on the same day just to save themselves some serious cash.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Cool from my perspective. I don't know if this is ballsy or not, but like tell them you can do that, like on the phone, be like, either give me a better deal or I'm counseling it. I'm just going to sign back up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: True.
Speaker 2: You want me to do here, like make the math math? Yeah, Like, I'm not trying to be a dick. I just want to not pay loyalty tax.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like, I've been loyal to you. I've given you my money consistently for the last few years. And you're telling me you're going to give someone else a cheaper deal.
Speaker 4: It would be wise sentive to stick around. Yeah, like they get me.
Speaker 2: Imagine a company that said, beck join us, pay the market rate, and then every year we give you a little discount to stage, we give you a little treat we give you a little treaty tree.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would be way more centige.
Speaker 2: Exactly, I mean exactly, no, but like we could be look at how smart we are. But getting back to doing your research. Once you have all of that information, it's time to make the call. You can start with high I've noticed that competitor X is offering a lawer rate, and I'd really like to talk to someone who can match that. What we want to do here, Beck is kill them with kindness. If you go in aggressive, which you might feel because you might have realized that you're being taken for a ride. Sure, we don't want that energy on the phone. We don't want to bring that because, like used to work for a super company. If someone called you salty, will you happy to help them? No? No, no, no.
Speaker 4: I would go out of my goddamn way for someone who is nice to me. Yeah, exactly, who's immediately mean and I don't even know them. They don't know me, I don't know them. I'm literally just here trying to make a buck, exactly.
Speaker 2: So we're going to be polite, but firm. Kindness obviously goes a really long way. I adore the saying you catch more flies with honey, and it really rings true when you're dealing with customer service operator, So true, don't be dick, Yeah, I love that hard. Make sure that you mention your loyalty, but highlight the better deals that you've found. So, for example, you might be whipping out your pen at this point your introductory rate for new customers is much lower than what I'm currently getting as a very loyal customer. Or consider bundling. So say, if I bring my car insurance over in addition to my home insurance that I already have, can you offer me a discount? Make it worth their while? And remember, be ready to walk away, So that one is the hard one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, be ready to walk away.
Speaker 2: Sometimes the best deal is actually with another provider, and that's totally okay. You can say on the phone, thank you so much for your help. Beg Like, I know that you've said that you're trying your best and that that's the best deal you can offer. Unfortunately, I just think I can get it elsewhere cheaper. Like I'm sure you can understand that. Like everyone is just out to get the best deal from themselves. Beck just worked for the super company, you know, Like you're not mad that Sandra is not going to stay.
Speaker 4: I don't mind, you don't mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you're probably like sleigh, Sandra, like get that budget Greween.
Speaker 4: Because they can't say it, but they know in their heads, they're like, you can get a bad deal elsewheah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Like you know that that's a shitty deal. You know that that's not exactly what we want, but I can't tell you. Yeah, by the way, go down to this other provider. They're going to give you cheaper insurance. They're not gonna say that because I'd lose my job in no way, absolutely not. You can have a laugh and be like you and I both know beck catch up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love when you're working with like hospitality or retail stuff, or like something stinky happens and you say something that you know they can't respond to, so all you get back from them is like a little smirk and then they walk off. I'm always like here, here exactly, so we are going to be ready to walk away because we want a better deal. But do you know what, sometimes when you say you're going to walk away, look at that they have a last minute offer.
Speaker 4: Where does this come from?
Speaker 2: Cocidence?
Speaker 4: Ha haha. Now, if you didn't take notes on all that, don't worry. If has made a handy little guide for you.
Speaker 2: And when I say I have, I mean my gorgeous graphic designer Georgia has Thank you Georgia. She's taken all of this information and put it into a handy dandy little guide that you can download.
Speaker 4: Guess what, Beck, Yeah for free?
Speaker 2: Whoa on our website. I love for you want anything? Nope, don't want anything?
Speaker 4: Name your trade yeah, Apple or something?
Speaker 2: Oh? Thanks?
Speaker 4: Well, if you want to find that, it will be in the True Notes. We can download it or you can download it on the website True.
Speaker 2: So. There are also some other ways to cut down your insurance costs. The most obvious is OPTI for a higher excess, which you can budget for. This means you'll pay more upfront if you end up making a claim, But if you've got your emergency fund sorted, it might be worth considering to bring down those premiums. Like, if you're planning your emergency fund, maybe have a look. Maybe you go, all right, well, I know that if I had one thousand dollar excess instead of a five hundred dollars excess, i'd pay less premiums over the year. Can we also, just like I guess sense, check this as well, Beck, because you might want to be saving that. But you don't have the capacity to have a emergency fund with an extra thousand dollars in it. Like, I'm not delusional, I know that that is hard for a lot of people. So if it works for you, fantastic. That's what financial freedom affords you.
Speaker 3: Beck.
Speaker 2: Financial freedom can sometimes afford you to go with the cheaper option, right, Like some people have to go with the higher option because they don't have that emergency fund. And I don't want people listening to this and being like, well, that's not me. I guess I fail. No, you don't, queen, Look at you listening to finance content getting.
Speaker 4: Ahead, Get a girl, get it.
Speaker 2: I actually think it was really important to sense check there. But that's definitely something worth considering if you want to bring down those premiums and then another sense check here, because I completely understand that not everyone has the cash on hand to pay their car insurance for the whole year upfront. But if you plan ahead, often paying in one lump sum could save you some money on premiums because they often have a lower rate, like overall if you pay annually instead of monthly. I think that that's just another reason why the rich get richer. So true these so annoying, right, I know.
Speaker 4: It's like if I could early a ford months a month, give me, it just.
Speaker 2: Really frustrates me. The economic inequality that exists, like it's the stereotypical example, right of a pair of shoes, Like somebody who has the wealth can buy their kid a pair of school shoes that last the whole year, because that pair of school shoes is like one hundred and fifty dollars, and like that's so wild for a lot of parents. But then over the course of the year they might go to Cama a heap of times because they're just like, I'm just buying school shoes from Cama. But like every second month or so, they break or they you know, fall apart, and then they end up spending more on school shoes because they didn't have that high entry price point to begin with. Yeah, like it's just again, the rich keep getting richer because they have the ability to invest in more sustainable options. And I don't mean sustainable for the economy, I mean more sustainable for them. Like that pair of school shoes might get three or four years of use out of them because they're just a good quality shoe, you know, totally v So it just really frustrates me that that exists. But apparently it also exists in the insurance world.
Speaker 4: Ah good, good, good good. We can't escape it.
Speaker 2: So then Finally, Beck, some policies have dry less payless options, which bet you didn't know that existed.
Speaker 4: Hah.
Speaker 2: And I also think is really exciting because you pay a lower premium if you stay under a certain number of kilometers each year. So if you know your average mileage, use that for when you're getting a quote, and it might actually make you get a cheaper rate. Kind of attractive, And don't hesitate to ask for a discount on low kilometers even if it's not advertised. They might offer it over the phone. Yeah, true, everything's up for negotiation, yes, and if they say no, I'm just going to negotiate with you from a different angle. I'm lucky to get me on the phone.
Speaker 4: I would cry immediately.
Speaker 2: So unlucky. I do apologize for anybody who does get me on the phone, except for that one girl at Boopa who one time said that my podcast was really nice. At the end of our phone call, she's like, I'm really glad that I could help you. Also, I really like your podcast, and I was like, oh my god, did you know me this whole time? It was really wholesome.
Speaker 4: That is so sweet.
Speaker 2: It was my favorite thing ever. Wow, definitely was put through her paces poor girl, like when she love your podcast. I was low key thinking like at least I walk the walk, you.
Speaker 4: Know, yeah, like can't even imagine. So there are obviously some good ways to save on insurance. Let's take a quick break and when we come back, we'll have more tips to spash your transport costs. Don't go anywhere, alright, V we are back. Should we tackle petrol costs?
Speaker 2: Yes, so this episode just don't use petrol.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I did cycle actually for a few months to work.
Speaker 2: That's a good money saving hat. Yeah, from Brunswick to I won't be doing that. No, if you can't do that, or like me, you just won't do that.
Speaker 4: And that's very valid as well, very very valid.
Speaker 2: So it's probably a good idea to talk about it because in that report we quoted earlier, the average household is spending over five grand a year on petrol. Beck, five grand, that's a whole family holiday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, seriously, that's on stuff you literally burn.
Speaker 2: Don't talk to me about cigarettes, not me, you Beck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love a c.
Speaker 2: We're not endorsing cigarette. That is dirty bit and you should kick it, and you know you should.
Speaker 4: Kick it, yes, ma'am. But I do not judge you. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I couldn't care less you make a decision about your body anyway. Choice Consumer poles surveyed this year found that eighty one percent of households were concerned about the cost of fuel. The other nineteen percent must be pretty chill to be honest, imagine not being concerned about five grand on petrol. Be for real. I feel like petrol is constantly over two dollars a leater these days. I don't feel like I'm spending less, which is so expensive. But the good news is there are some ways that you can save at the pump.
Speaker 4: Cool Like, I know a lot of our communities swear by this first tip. I get a lot of people recommending it for my bridge at.
Speaker 2: The seven eleven app well, because I feel I feel like the seven eleven app has a cult following.
Speaker 4: It actually is incredible. But also petrol spy.
Speaker 2: I love a petrol spy as well.
Speaker 4: There are so many of them, so how do you know the one you're using has the best info?
Speaker 2: Well, according to the A Triple C, they are about forty of them in total in Australia. Isn't that why I could not name forty? I could name the seven eleven petrol app. Yes, that's it. That's the only one I use, and they all run a little bit differently. So most of the state governments actually require petrol companies to report their prices and have their own data systems and government run apps, which is interesting. Then there are third party apps. Some of these run using the government data, while other commercial services use information that is community sourced, meaning you're relying on other motorists to update prices, which you might see in like the ways app, so you know how you can like track things in there. I find that really interesting conversation for another day. The ones that use government data seem to be the most accurate as it comes straight from the source. And this is a shame for us in Victoria as our state government is the only state that doesn't do this.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really nice. But seven eleven app, well you just lock it in, Yeah, and it's guaranteed. We love to see it, even with short notice. We're not being sponsored by seven eleven. By the way, I really love these sand which just had to disclaim that because I see under like a little bit of an ad. They've got nothing to do with this right now. Shocking, so I mean we should have approached them. Actually, that would have been good. Oh it's also I didn't know it.
Speaker 4: It's too late.
Speaker 2: It is too late. Even with short drive though, beg you might find significant price differences between different petrol stations. A Choice article highlighted a fifty two cent per liter difference they found in the same type of fuel between two petrol stations only five minutes apart. Those dogs, isn't it insane? So it's definitely worth using these apps to shop around and to save and put yourself in the best possible position. The Premiere of South Australia has even come out and said that their app has saved locals who use it about three hundred and fifteen bucks each in the last year. So if you're listening Victoria Government, it's me Victoria Divine and it's time to start your own please and thank you.
Speaker 4: And don't forget a lot of fuel retails in Australia are owned by supermarket, so it's always worth checking if your rewards cards can score you an extra deal. You know, back in the day you'd have those little.
Speaker 2: Yeah shop a Dockers that's all on the rewards. These episodes getting really long but I looked at the back of my supermarket receipt the other day back well, there was no deals on it here. I don't want to live in twenty.
Speaker 4: Four It is nice to get little Domino's ones, obviously, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So back to this, it's all about looking at your shopping habits and seeing where you can use some points and rewards and even cash back to maximize your savings. We saw in the community recently people buying gift cards on shop back to then use to spend on fuel genius is hacking the system. And you might remember us talking about the savvy queen from our community a few weeks back who was buying upsized a pole vouchers from shop back and then scanning her wool Is card for points and hacking the system completely for real.
Speaker 4: But what about the way you run and take care of your car.
Speaker 2: The one thing that they really didn't take into account is how much people spend cleaning their cars. I live in a city and I'm really lucky. When I drive home sometimes my dad will wash my car in their frontyard free for me money in But like I can't just like put my car in the driveway and wash it like I have to spend money cleaning my car going through like the car wash or even the day car wash that takes the two lot of coins you know I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: They forgot that one.
Speaker 4: It's another one. I've always wondered what the point is. I don't think I've cleaned my car in a while, Like do you do it for safety reasons?
Speaker 2: Like can you see in your windscreen?
Speaker 4: I can see it through my windscreen. That's all I need to do.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about this off air, But yes, servicing your car. I know it might not be the most exciting thing on your to do list, but a well maintained car is a fuel saving machine. Like at the end of the day, when your car is in its best shape, it's less likely to gos will fuel because of issues like clogged air filters and faulty spark plugs or low oil that my car keeps telling me it's scott Like, baby, you don't need oil, you're not cooking. Book in your.
Speaker 4: Service book in your service But also do try. There are so many things in my car that I've just done myself. For example, like it wouldn't start once I just change one of the fuel injector fuses, which doesn't make sense right now, but if you google literally you can do most things.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can change your windscreen wipers, like you can just go to autobar and eat them for like twenty bucks. You don't need to pay one hundred and twenty.
Speaker 4: Easy, easy fix it. I changed my headlights the other day to literally less than three minutes up.
Speaker 2: You're in coolant.
Speaker 4: You can do all of that stuff yourself.
Speaker 2: So we should do Beck's car hacks, and it's Beck teaching you how to do things you are seriously, I could diagnose it a few and then we can go from there.
Speaker 4: But yeah, try and pressure, of course I do.
Speaker 2: I've written that down as my next tip. So this is something that you can easily do yourself next time you stop for fuel and it's free. You can usually find the right pressure for your tires on the driver's side door frame, inside the fuel door, yeah, glove box, or in your car's manual or on the actual tires.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Think of having underinflated time like trying to push your bike up hill. It takes way more effort, which means your car is using more fuel. So top up your air for free to save some fuel genius. Keeping your tires at the right pressure and aligned can make a real difference. So you can help save on fuel by making sure that there's the right air in your tires back and also by not being Victoria divine and hitting the curb as often as I do. Ideally, yeah, because then you don't have to get your wheels aligned as often. Two birds, one stone.
Speaker 4: That's fantastic. And while you're ready to give your car a little spring clean, because extra weight does mean extra work for your engine as well, you're.
Speaker 2: Just carrying heaps of stuff around in your back I've never been in your car. I just feel like the backseat of your car is probably like a house.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say you could probably imagine what my car is like.
Speaker 2: No, in a bad way. I just feel like you'd be like nuts in the car because like you're always at different friends' houses, like going to different places. I feel like you're telling us to clean out our car, when if you did it, you'd be annoyed at yourself because now the handy stuff's not in your car totally.
Speaker 4: Every single thing I've ever needed is in my car at the moment, So.
Speaker 2: You see, I get anxious if there's stuff in my car, yeah, fair Like, Nah, the boot has to be empty.
Speaker 4: You would have a conniption if you my mood.
Speaker 2: And then I have nothing. When I'm out, I'm like, oh, I wish that was still in my car.
Speaker 4: Okay, so this probably seems negligible, But when I have like extra people in my car, I can see that the petrol kind of runs out a little bit quicker than it usually would. So if you have like junk in your car, or you just want to give it a good clean out, just keep it light, just keep it bright, just keep it.
Speaker 2: I love that while we're talking about what's in your car, maybe we should talk about the car as a whole, because you said it costs you more because there's more stuff in it. But like, I don't know if I'm throwing myself under a bus because I do drive a soccer mum car. But if you're not hauling around a soccer team every weekend, maybe you don't need the suv. Maybe it's time to like downgrade. Smaller cars usually mean better fuel economy. I've got a friend who bought the smallest car that they could find, thinking it'd just be for their husband's commute to and from work, but it turned out to be so fuel efficient and such a money saber that they've said a new rules. So whenever you're not driving the kids, that's the car you got to take, yes, And it's saving them so much money on their fuel and it's practically their first choice now, like so smart. I really like my car though, bex so like I can't bring myself to get rid.
Speaker 4: Of it, but I know, if you.
Speaker 2: Can, and you're a money saving queen, maybe.
Speaker 4: Do that and the cheap to buy as well. You tried to exactly exactly, but you can even consider going like electric if you had the money to do that. I mean, I feel like that.
Speaker 2: It's an expensive option.
Speaker 4: It's still really expensive option, but once you're there, I feel like things are cheap. But from that.
Speaker 2: Point, yeah, actually, do you know what? There's a video and I'm gonna find it and I'm gonna link it in the show notes, Queenie Tan did a video because she has a Tesla and obviously Tesla's like to me, a really bougie car, but she did the maths on how much the Tesla costs her and how much she's saving on fuel and how much her electricity costs her. I think it's an Instagram real video. I'll find it and I'll put it in the show notes. But that video taught me that you do save money, but you have to be kind of in it for the long haul. It's like pullding solar panels on your roof, Like it doesn't pay off in the first year, but over time it does. Maybe if you're not ready to go like full electric, you could think about like a plug in hybrid car could be the perfect middle ground. So you've got like the best of both worlds. You've got improved fuel economy and the flexibility of a petrol engine. Like how good?
Speaker 4: How good? I feel like we've covered so much today. So we've given you some solar tips, how to negotiate better deals on your insurance and loans, and the best way to use fuel map apps, and a few clover hacks to stretch your petrol budget even further.
Speaker 2: But I feel like the best tip coming out of this podcast today is like, don't us don't get yeah right, let's just put our big girl shoes on and be like, well, can you do a better deal for me? Yes? Like it's hard, but once you kind of like do it for the first time, every other time after that gets much easier. And I mean, in this cost of living crisis, it's all about doing what we can to keep money in our own pockets. I mean, I'm a fan of that twenty four to seven, but right now, I feel like people are feeling the pinch. So even if you only do a couple of these things to save yourself, like one hundred bucks or two hundred bucks a month, beck, that's like twelve hundred or two and a half grand a year. Yeah, Like that's a lot of money. That is so much money back in your pocket. And let's be honest, who doesn't want an extra couple of grand to work into their budget?
Speaker 4: Wouldn't hate it?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't hate it.
Speaker 4: I know in an ideal world these things would be accessible and cheap and affordable, But right now, exactly, we gotta do what we gotta do exactly.
Speaker 2: So we'll see you on Friday everyone. Now, I'm off to finally drop that opshop box that's actually been sitting in my car for a little while on my way home, So we'll see then.
Speaker 4: Bye, guys.
Speaker 2: Did buy shared on She's on?
Speaker 6: The money is generally nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you'd do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice.
Speaker 2: Tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 6: Victoria Divine and Sheese on the Money are authorized representatives of money. Sheper p T y lt D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFS L four five one two eight nine