Speaker 1: I heard podcasts, hear more Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app. Now, Okay, Britt, how do you feel about small talk in general? Small talk makes me feel uncomfortable because I always wonder where am I going to take it?
Speaker 2: And then I feel like I'm on the spot.
Speaker 3: I could small talk my way out of anything. I don't love it, I don't get anything from it. I'd rather avoid it, but it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Make me uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: The problem is this, Sometimes I think that I become the interviewer in a small talk situation where I always I just keep asking questions, asking questions, asking questions, and then eventually I ran out of questions to ask and waiting for the conversation to circle back around.
Speaker 2: But it doesn't.
Speaker 1: So I try and avoid it because and when I say avoid it, you can never avoid small talk. I try and avoid situations that put me into making small talk because I find it uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean, no one loves it, no one. There is no one that's like, oh, come, wait to go small talk tonight, like, but some people maybe don't really know how to avoid it or how to like escalate it to a medium.
Speaker 2: Talk or a yeah.
Speaker 1: But also some people are like super extroverted, and so they they don't even quote unquote making small talk doesn't touch the sides for them. I think I'm a hybrid. I definitely would call myself an extrovert in some things, but when it's new people and new environments, I'm quite happy to take the back seat if someone else is wanting to step into that.
Speaker 3: I've never seen you take the back seat anywhere anywhere.
Speaker 1: It's not what it is, no, But I don't enjoy it at all, Like I do really feel like it is a task to make small talk and to keep the conversation going. But sometimes I feel as though I have to, and sometimes they also maybe.
Speaker 2: This is in my own insecurities.
Speaker 1: I think as though it's almost expected because we work in a role where we talk all the time, so people are like, oh, well, Laura can do this, and so I feel as though I walk into some of those environments where it's like new people or it's a work thing, and I'm like I'm on and I'm singing and dancing, and I go home and a crash because I'm so overstimulated by having to put on a show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, the reason why I want to bring this up is because firstly, I think a lot of people like struggle to get conversations out of the small talk conversation purgatory and into something that feels a little bit more media or it feels like it's a back and forth. But there is a guy named Charles Jewick. Now he's a Politzer Prisman and he's also coined a super communicator. We recently interviewed him on our podcast Life on Cut podcast. He's brilliant if you want to communicator, if you want to learn a little bit about communicating, that is the episode to go and listen to. But I actually found an article that he has been quoted in and it was talking about how to get deeper on a first date. Now I found this so funny because some of these questions, they've called them magical questions, magical questions that take small talk to deep talk. If someone asked me these questions on a first date, I think I'd have to up and leave.
Speaker 3: So this article isn't just about generally taking chat to the next level.
Speaker 1: You know what, dates only it doesn't just have to be first dates.
Speaker 2: But is that what he is saying it's first dates only.
Speaker 1: It was about how to connect on a deeper level. But it was with people that you would be making small talk with. Right, So imagine going to a work party, you're making small talk, first date small talk, you're just in the getting to know each other phase, and then someone throws out one of these questions. I'm going to ask you what a coin to the five Magical questions, and you can answer them as honestly or you can tell me where to go.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Question number one, what are you excited about right now?
Speaker 2: My wedding? That's actually a good one.
Speaker 1: Because someone could get into more debt. What about your wedding?
Speaker 2: I'm not getting married for on a first date?
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Number two, if you could wake.
Speaker 1: Up tomorrow having gained any one quality or ability.
Speaker 2: What would it be to be able to fly?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 1: Okay, but that doesn't feel particularly deep. He's my answers.
Speaker 2: Don't ask me a question then tell me my answer is wrong. What is it about flying?
Speaker 1: Okay? Number three, imagine someone who you don't know asking you this, when's the last time you cried in front of another person?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I think that's a good question.
Speaker 3: I mean I cry all the time on the podcast in front of loads of people, like all the interviews that we do.
Speaker 2: You and I cry in front of each all all the time?
Speaker 1: Are you true?
Speaker 2: This is true?
Speaker 1: We do, but I mean like a real cry, like a oh my dog.
Speaker 2: I cry a lot in front of my dog. And then I say, don't tell anyone, okay. I won't critique your answer.
Speaker 1: Question number four, do you have a secret hunch about when or how you will die?
Speaker 2: Can we just stop down?
Speaker 1: This could be someone at a work party asking you these, and these feel deeply inappropriate.
Speaker 2: All the questions until now are fine?
Speaker 3: Asking someone about their like impending death is not okay when you don't even know that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, this one's going to really send you into out of space. How do you feel about your relationship with your mother?
Speaker 2: I love my mom. I have no trauma. Imagine ask it though.
Speaker 1: Imagine if you did have trauma and some person who's read a super communicator's book who barely knows you and wants to take small talk to medium talk ask you out of nowhere about your relationship with your mum. Okay, I'm sorry, I think that's small talk that has a purpose at a place, No, I.
Speaker 2: Think you can definitely. Look I'm not a polite surprise winner Charles.
Speaker 1: Sorry, but I do love Charles as well.
Speaker 2: Not criticizing him, but I feel like I'm good at this. I am the interviewer in every relationship I've got. When I went into the I'm a slebrity.
Speaker 3: Jungle, no one even knew my name, but I asked everyone every single thing about them.
Speaker 2: I genuinely love it.
Speaker 3: I think the key to it is all you have to do is find common ground.
Speaker 2: So you need to find a common interest with someone.
Speaker 3: Then the second you have that, they're going to feel more comfortable, and then you ask questions about it, but not that.
Speaker 2: You just have to ask like what is it about that that makes you excited?
Speaker 3: Or why? What is it about that that made you want to go into that industry? Or do you think you'll be in that industry forever? And if not, what would you do instead? There are so many questions that aren't like hey, do you have some trauma bond with your mom? Like that's crazy to me to ask on a first date or something to me?
Speaker 1: There are some things, yes, I mean everyone's heard the whole, like ask an open question that doesn't have a yes no answer, like that's kind of like one oh one of interviewing. But there are some things, regardless of how magical a question might be, you should not ask if you don't know someone well enough.
Speaker 2: There's a level, there's a level of.
Speaker 1: Depth that we just don't need with everyone because also no one cares.
Speaker 2: You don't care about if you're a stranger at a work party. You don't care what Sally's mom's doing.