Speaker 1: Will Anderson is one of Australia's most experienced comedians, and his wisdom and understanding of his craft reflects that he's become so accustomed to the stage that he now writes his shows not on paper, but live in front of an audience. After more than twenty five years in the business, Will has trained his mind to filter pretty much everything, his thoughts, his feelings, and his day to day experiences through the lens of comedy. In fact, he can't even look at the bookshelf in my recording studio without turning it into a bit. Will shares how his process has developed over more than two decades of practice and explains why the nights when he's not in the mood to perform are the most important ones. My name is doctor amanthe Immer. I'm an organizational psychologist and the founder of behavioral science consultancy Inventium, and this is how I work a show about how to help you do your best work. In Will's new book, he talks about two distinct states of stand up comedy, creation and recreation. So I asked Will to define both of those states and how he approaches them.
Speaker 2: Thank you for asking that. By the way, I appreciate that because to me, that's the most interesting bit of the book, and I don't think it's something that anybody else is going to ask me about it really is. I may have come to the right place just for this question alone, because to me it is the most compelling idea in my life, which is I constantly wrestle with this, which is I So I'm not sure that I have a strict definition. The way that I describe it in the book is I talk about, you know, stand up comedy is the example that I use. I think it has broader ramifications, and I think you know what we'll do is we'll explore that a little bit more. But for me, just do your stand up comedy as the starting point our way into it. I talk about the idea of creating stand up comedy. When you're first working an idea, presenting it to an audience, getting the feedback of it. That's a state of creation. You are coming up with the idea, you're exploring the idea, you're seeing where the idea might go, and then eventually stand up comedy a lot of the time becomes a process of recreation, which is essentially it's the equivalent of focus grouping your material being a stand up comedian, because the more you do it, instead of being in the moment that night and trying to make the joke work there for that audience, what you tend to do is start a process of going, well, this is the wording or the way that I've said this joke the most times where it's worked the most time. So therefore, coming into tonight, if I word it that way and I present it in that way, it is most likely to work tonight based on the previous information that I have. So for me, the process of creation has always been so much more interesting than the process of recreation. And as I have developed as a performer, developed as a stand up comedian, what I've really tried to do is how can I keep that process of creation alive when you are by the very nature of having done the thing a lot of times, Because it's not like you can constantly be if you are doing the same show, if you're trying to present this story, this routine, this emotion, this journey for the audience, it's not like you can do it completely differently every night. That would make no sense at all. There is some process of recreation that is entirely necessary to that process. But how do I engage with the creative process, the process of being in the moment and creating on the spot and having that one on one conversation with that audience from the night. How can I infuse that into the necessary process of recreation.
Speaker 1: You describe yourself as an observational comedian, and I would imagine that your powers of observation and listening in terms of what is going on in your world has changed over around twenty five years of doing stand up comedy. What does that look like for you now when you are creating new material.
Speaker 2: I think that probably early on it is something that you are consciously doing, and then there is a time when it becomes unconscious or subconscious, like you know that you're not really thinking about the process of creation. Twenty five years ago, that creative process might have been I'll get a whole bunch of newspapers, I'll sit it down at my desk, I'll read the newspapers, I'll write jokes. My creative process doesn't look like that anymore. How do you write your book? How do you put together you show? How do you write a show? There is no answer to that, however, it needs to be done. That's how I do it.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: Some of it happens in my head, some of it happens in stage on stage. Some of it happens in a process of writing in the first place and then editing. Some of it happens in coming up with an idea and then going and researching and finding information. Some of it comes up with writing a routine on stage and then realizing that it's not working, so then taking it off stage where it's never been written down, writing it down, and then rearranging it. There is no consistent creative process. How does it get done. It gets done, and then at the end I can tell you how it got done, But there is I don't have a process to get it done. And in fact, what I've learned over the years is the closest I would get to having a process is they used to say about michelangel I think it was who said that the sculptures already inside the piece of stone, you just need to know which bits to get rid of, right, And that certainly probably is as close to a process that I have, which is that everything is examined through that critical eye. You know, my brain is constantly looking at every single thing that I do and picking it apart. But it's not all necessary for what I'm making. I have to work out which bits to get rid of to, you know, so the show will emerge, or the book will emerge, or the idea will emerge from you know, the clutter that is there. So constantly examining things is the process, but it is not a formal process anymore. It is a process that is just intrinsic to my being.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, I was struck by something you wrote in your book I'm Not Fine, Thanks, where you talk about you've essentially trained your brain to process your thoughts on life and the world through the lens of creating a show or creating comedy and I and it sounds like a lot of that process is now unconscious. But if you were to unpack it, like what does that look like day to day? I mean, does it look like being in a cafe in mull and Bimbi and just making notes on conversations that you've had with these eccentric people that you write about in the book, for example, or do they just come back into memory at the right moment, Like, what does that look like day to day?
Speaker 2: Most of it comes back into memory at the right moment. Occasionally I'll make a note, and I tend to write every day, but like sometimes that writing isn't I most of the time I write without intention. It's observation without intention, and then it's choosing what parts of that that you need for particular projects. So I often have a whole bunch of writing, like I mean every like so like an average stand up show. And this is something I wrestle with in the book, which is the idea that I have trained my brain for, Like April twenty twenty was going to be twenty five years in a row of me doing new show, which means that every year my brain would have to process the year. And as I say in the book, you know, what does the world look like and what does my place in that world look like? That is essentially what my process is. That's what my shows are about. Every year. It is some variation of that. And certainly when that went away, my brain did not stop doing that. You know, my brain has been trained for a quarter of a century to work like that. It's your average show. If you want to do the math on it, you know, to kind of make it a little bit less airy fairy and a little under easier for people to understand. The average stand up show for sixty to seventy minutes, I am on stage written down on a piece of paper. If you wrote down every word would be somewhere between seven and eight thousand words. And I mean I could write seven or eight thousand words in a week really, Like it's not not a lot of words for me to be able to create. But generally when I go into like writing what I think the show will be, I will have a document that probably has more like seventy or eighty thousand words on it, and that will be where I start, and that will be the most interesting ideas that I've had in the last year, or the most interesting themes that I've explored in the last year, or a lot of the time it is just what, you know, what what is top of my mind? What am my most interested in? Like when I look at back at the things that I've made notes about or thought about during that year, what are the things that I find most compelling to talk about to share? And then so you start with a document that's that size, and then I start chipping away those bits of stone that don't need to be there, and then the show starts to reveal itself. You often find that you might think that you have seventy thousand words of completely, you know, non connected ideas, but once you get rid of the stuff that's not meant to be there, you realize that what you're left with is often incredibly thematic, you know. I mean, it's interesting with the book, you know. To use an example, I did not name the book. It's called I Am not Fine, Thanks, but I did not name the book. I handed it to the publishers and I said, I am happy for you to call it. You're the people who are experts in selling books. You tell me what you think it should be called. And they came back very quickly and they said, we want to call it I Am not fine, thanks. The truth is that it's a good name for the book because it is infused in every part of that story. Is this idea of that on a personal level, I explore being not fine, thanks, But when I talk about the world, it is very much through the perspective of I don't think that things are fine, thanks, And here is why I don't think these things are fine. So I did not sit down with that theme. I didn't have a piece of paper that said I am not fine, thanks, and then wrote a book that was thematic to it. I wrote a book, and this theme revealed itself from the book, and that is That is a very good example of mostly how my work tends to create itself. I write what I'm interested in and that I look at it, and it tends to have it often tends to have a cohesive theme that emerges from it. But I let the show tell me what it is rather than me try to impose on the show what I think it should be.
Speaker 1: I got to say, I love the title. I remember I read that in your book, that it was the publishers that named it, and it's such a it's a perfect title, Like having read it, I can't imagine a better title for it. So I think that that is great. And gosh, I know how much obsessing goes into the naming of a book. I think it's one of the hardest parts of the project. I want to delve a bit deeper into the editing. So you're essentially cutting ninety percent of the material to get to your show. How do you know what is what is worthy and what is going to elicit the best real action from your audience, because I imagine largely you're creating this first draft of a show in a bubble instead of, you know, regularly doing test shows throughout that process. Like, is that a fair assumption?
Speaker 2: So the real answer is I don't know. That's the real answer. I don't know. I'm guessing. I absolutely am guessing. I'm constantly guessing, And anybody tells you that they're not guessing is lying to you, because everybody is guessing in the world. Now. Sometimes you have been guessing enough in your particular industry that you get better at guessing about how things might work than people who have not been guessing as often as you are guessing. But the truth of it is that I am aware that I am always guessing, and particularly with stand up comedy or comedy in general, it is a process of guess work, and sometimes you guess wrong and you dust yourself off, and next time you try to guess better. I don't know what's going to work. I absolutely don't know what's going to work. And I often say to people, if you want to see what I thought the show was going to be, you have to come on the first night. So This comes back to this idea of that process of creation and recreation. In the process of creation, I'm guessing at what I think the show might be. And then, of course, by then doing the show, you go through this process of the audience telling you, yes, that is what the show is. No, that is not what the show is, and then it becomes a collaboration between you and the audience what the show is. By the time I get to the end of the tour, the show is not the show that I started the tour with. So you know, you could look at that and go, well, I was wrong. I was wrong a lot. I needed some external feedback to shape, you know, what the show was going to be. It becomes a collaboration, a two way conversation between me and my audience. But that's not entirely how I write now, So that would be an unfair or misslee weight, because a lot of how I write now is through the process of these improvise shows that I do, where I very much go on stage with Will I will have perhaps written that seventy thousand word document and I'll have a sense of what's in there, but I certainly haven't. You know, he's gone this is a joke, or this is a routine, or this is you know where, how the structure of this piece will be. It's very much that idea of here are some themes that I'm interested in, or some topics that I'm interested in, and then I will go on stage and do these improvise shows, which are what it says on the ticket. They are completely made up on the spot. I talk to the audience, I open my mouth, I see what comes out. The way I describe it is like jumping out of a plane without a parachute and then trying to learn how to fly on the way down. But that is it connects with a different part of my creativity than sitting in front of a computer or sitting in front of a notepad in a cafe would, because there is an engagement with your creative brain that is unleashed by the necessity of an audience being there needing to be entertained. It is very easy to convince myself sitting in my office in the comfort of my own space that something is amusing. But the minute that you are out there in front of an audience, armed with nothing more than your imagination, in that moment, needing to entertain them, then your brain, by necessity, engages in a different way. So a lot of my creative process these days happens in that furnace of walking out unarmed in front of an audience and seeing what happens now, Then what will happen after that is I will then take those ideas back to the drawing board and play with them and structure them and see what worked or what I unlocked that I hadn't thought about, or a way that I attacked an idea that wasn't how I thought I would attack it, Or I'll find in the moment a connection between two ideas that wasn't obvious to me when I had them written down in front of me. So there is a structural creative space that I have signed myself up to. You know that some people, I imagine would find quite terrifying, but I find actually invigorating. It's my favorite part of the process. Again, I like the creation more than I like the recreation, and so for me, that's the purest of the creative state, you know, like I'm just there, me, a microphone, my ideas and audience and no nothing to lose. Yet I guess that's the other thing too. I mean, I think that audience, there would be people listening to this who would think that's terrifying you you know, Like, no, I'm much more terrified when a joke I think is good doesn't work, as opposed to at that point where I don't have any attachment to anything because I don't have a plan. You know, this is just purely you know, me working it out, like you know, being in the space where it's fun. You know, this is my brain is firing and I'm testing myself and I'm exploring my imagination and I'm trying to push myself to go to places that I haven't gone before. It's actually much more scary as you're then trying to structure something and put it together and road test it when it's when it's not working. When when something that you've just made up on the spot doesn't work, well, I had no attachment to it anyway, so I'm not you know, it doesn't destroy me that it's not working now.
Speaker 1: So will when you're trying to create a joke, how loosely or tightly are you scripting that? And the you know, the key points or things that you need to land on.
Speaker 2: I mean, eventually tightly, not at the start. I try to keep it very loose at the start. As I said, that process of picking apart an idea. So okay, So on the bookshelf behind you, I love it. By the way that obviously not everybody can see this, but there's a bookshelf behind you. There's what I'm looking at at the moment. Is my first observation is that, like me, you color code your books as opposed to alphabet ties or or you know. So I love that. So that's the first thing that I noticed. I also noticed that the bookshelf is different shapes, you know, there's different shapes and sizes like on that bookshelf, like you know, which means that there's only certain books that you could put it on different shelves because of the sizes of them, which affects the way that you would check the stack those books. I wonder if there's been a choice in the way the colors are arranged, if you've like designed it with the rest of the room, whether you like you know, there is a procession from like blue to red to orange to yellow. You know, you've got a doctor Seuss quote up there on the corner, like you know, and and you know, so for me, my brain just starts to look at all these things and pick them apart and just think, there's plants in the corner. I wonder if they're real plants. I wonder if in a room where you've got carpets, you've got plants on the shelves, are you're watering those? Like do you have to make sure that there's something under those plants that you don't have a spot there on the carpet that's going to get damp? Like what is this room? Like is this a place that you actually come to read or is it just like an office where you record that? Like is this the place where you read those books? Are those books they're in the background because you're trying to send some sort of signal when you do this podcast that like, look at me, I'm a person who reads books, and this is like my background, Like these are just I don't mean those any of those things as like anything other than trying to give you an example of these other thoughts that are constantly happening in my brain while we are, Like I'm having this conversation with you, but all these things are also happening in my brain at the same time. So initially that's how everything gets examined. So if I am looking at, you know, my observations of what it's like to live in the anti VAXXS capital of Australia at the height of a global pandemic, originally I have thousands of thoughts about that. It's about trying to get through the noise to try and work out which of those thoughts are compelling or interesting or even just a place to start.
Speaker 1: So I want to ask, like, on the on what you've been observing in the backdrop? Where where then would the humor come in?
Speaker 2: Not sure yet, Like maybe it would be something like yeah, if I was going to say this, it's like, okay, just for example, like and we're really just early on here as going, is it mean to put, you know, plants so next to the thing that plants are destroyed to make books, Like is that rude to the plants? Are there? Plants very just nervously there in the corner going I hope I never turned into a tree and then somebody's going to chop me down and turn me into one of these books. It's really like, you know, I mean, this feels a little inappropriate to these plants, like making them seem so close to these books. You know, it might be something dumb like that, or the idea that like literally on the other side you have you know, there's doctor SEUs, there's paintings of plants that match the pots on the other side, and I'm like, you know, like I mean to me the comedic idea of how that was arranged, Like the idea that That's one of the things we say I'm growing all the time is assume everything's on purpose the first time that you do something. Assume that every decision that someone has made, the fact that your jumper that you're wearing today matches the books that are immediately behind you, is that on purpose? Like imagine if it was on purpose, what would that mean comediically? Now, that might absolutely go nowhere, right, But it's just about exploring that idea, thinking about how can I tear this apart to see if there's anything interesting in there that I can then rebuild. So that firstly, it's about finding the ingredients, seeing if anything just appears to me, what is the most compelling thing to me, what is the most compelling idea that I am observing here, and then trying to get rid of some of the other stuff so that you can concentrate on that more and then try to create something humorous out of the observation.
Speaker 1: We will be back with Will soon talking about what he does when he has a bad day but he still has to get on stage to perform that night. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way that you work, I write a short fortnightly newsletter that contains three cool things that I've discovered that helped me work better, ranging from software and gadgets that I'm loving through to interesting research findings. You can sign up for that at Howiwork dot code. That's how I work dot co. So let's talk about recreation because when I was reading your book and you know, you're obviously so passionate about the creation stage, thinking how do you maintain your enthusiasm for recreation? And you know, once you've got the show sort of iterated to a point where those jokes are scripted in their finest, how you maintain your enthusiasm? But maybe, like, let's let's work through that iteration, Like what do those first two weeks of a stand up show look like? For example, you're recording every performance and listening to it or watching it back, and what are you listening or looking for? What does that look like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I record every performance and I would say ninety nine point nine percent of those have never been listened to. What I have them, I have them all. The truth of it is that I know, like it's rare that I don't immediately know what worked or what didn't work. It's it's I guess that's just having done it long enough that I really have to go to the video replay to work out why something worked or did not work. Occasionally, if something works, it like it's rare. If it goes wrong, I almost always know why it went wrong. Sometimes. The thing that is harder to reconcile is sometimes people will laugh at something that you hadn't really intended to be funny, and that is more interesting, like on the night when you get a laugh on a line or a way you said something, if you've said something in a way that you've never said it before, and it works so much better than it's ever worked before. So that in part answers the question that brought us into this was how do I keep that process of recreation in it. I now get to a point where I will structure a joke or a routine in a way that so, for example, if I am going to tell the story of like moving to the anti VAXs capital of the world at the height of a global pandemic, say, this is going to be yeah, So I want to introduce this idea because this I need to This needs to be the premise at the top. So I need to have a joke that sets that's that up. Now, how do I set that up? What do I want to do with that? So here's what's interesting to me. I'm a man who believes in science and the scientific method. So this is how I'm just trying to run you through how I would explore this idea. Because what I don't want to do is start I know that at some stage I'm going to be making a little fun of, at least the ideas of some people in the community. I hope that I'm not making fun of the community itself. Like I very very much like to stress the idea that I separate the person from the idea that good people can have bad ideas and bad baboo can have good ideas. That's the worst one. But I want to set something out so Firstly, I want to make a joke at my own expense. This is just structural stuff, right, I'm trying to talk to you through how I would structure this. If I know I'm going to be making fun of other people later, what I want to do first is make fun of myself first, so that people are aware that I am first willing to laugh at me before I am willing to laugh at other people. So this is when I talk about structure. This is very important. If I flip them around the other way changes the entire tone of the show, tone of the joke. It's important that I structure those two things in that way. So the joke that I used in the in the show and the book is like, you know, I'm a white, middle aged Australian man. I've never been a minority before, right, So like, great, okay, people immediately get a real sense of who I am as a person. But be that I have an awareness of what the context of where that joke lives, of my place in the world. That like, the idea that I've never been a minority before is a privilege, is a luxury? Right, Like that's all inherent in that line. Then after that there is a period of like, there is a line that could be like, oh, you know, yeah, I've never been a minority before. I didn't like it. It's no good good ten out of ten would not recommend. Don't know how the rest of you've put up with it for so long. You know, I've never heard a word about it. Why don't you complain more? Whatever that might be. That line won't be scripted. It will be however it comes out on the night. It will be some variation of that. But in that moment, I will be listening to the audience, leaning into the if they really get that I'm you know, they get that I'm completely taking the piss actually out of white middle aged men in that joke rather than them, and they're on board with that. That could go for thirty seconds, forty five seconds. I could really lean into that. So that's the difference or how I try to combine both, like the idea of how I need something structured, here is this thing that I definitely need to do, and how I would like to keep that process in creation, which is I leave this next bit loose to be in the moment I know the intention of what I will do. There will always be some sort of riff off the back of it it But depending on the feedback I'm getting from the audience, it might be quite a short rift or it might be quite a long rift that I explore in the moment. So it's about having the thing, the structure of knowing this is the beat that I want to talk about first, This is the important stuff that needs to be said, And now here is a little room for improvisation, for icing, for flavor, for making it very unique to this night. If you came on this night, you saw this joke in this order, and then you saw the next joke in this order, but the little bit that you saw afterwards would have been different last night, and all be different again tonight. It will be in the same zone. It will have the same intention, but it won't be worded the same. It won't like so that I know that's hard maybe for people to get their head around, but it is a way I structure something is I think about what the important tent poles will be, and then I try to leave some room in that to make it unique to the experience that people are having on the night, so that I am trying to connect both with my recreative state, but also with my creative state in that moment and engage that.
Speaker 1: When you're well into a tour of a show and you're having a day or days where you are just not feeling like getting on stage and making people laugh for an hour, how are you getting into the state that you need to be at.
Speaker 2: I think it's might sound weird to people, but it's actually the opposite. It's the easiest when you're not having a hard when you're not having a good time. They people think that, I mean, look that this is an oversimplification, of course, because but life is hard more often than it is easy. I think for everybody. Really. You know, if you can only perform in perfect conditions, whatever your job might be, then it's probably a hobby not a job. You know, Roy and HG. You know, I learned something from them very early on. They were telling me a story that said they would often have you know, someone come up to me and say, O, my mates when they get together are funnier talking about sport than you guys are. And they said, yeah, that's probably true. We're just good at doing it when the red light comes on, And that is absolutely true. Everyone listening to this will have a friend who's funnier than me because they know all your stories and they can reference that time that you know, you got too drunk, or you know, whatever happened, and they're hilarious. The job of the professional comedian is to be able to be funny when the red light comes on, and so I often think the job is it's not about creating perfect conditions, for it is about your capacity to do it when the conditions aren't perfect. That separates the people who are hobbyist from the people who are professionals. And so, if anything, I find it Barry humphreyes it's a bit unfashionable, unfashionable to quote Barry Humphreys these days, but I think this is a great insight. He was once asked about, you know, what's it like to walk out on stage in front of three thousand people? What thought is going through your mind? And he said, ah, alone at last? And I think that's right. It's not entirely true, but there is something about being on stage in that moment where you cannot be thinking about anything else, you know, the very nature of having to do your job in that moment, you can get lost in the communication that you are having with the audience doing the show. You can't be thinking about whether you left the iron on, or the problems of your day, or what's going on in your life, or even the world in a way, and it's such a safe space, you know. Like Mark Maron quotes this, I don't think he was the person who originally says it, which is comedians become comedians so that they can control how people laugh at them. And I think that there is we all are aware that people are going to laugh at us, but when you're on stage, you're in control. I could be talking about the darkest things or the most desperate state of the world, but I'm in control of it. You know, for at least that hour, I am in control of it. And so the idea of whether you've had a bad day, or whether your life is falling apart or terrible, or whether the state of the world is particularly terrible. In some ways, they're my favorite times to do stand up and I think it's probably why I missed it so desperately when the world was going through such hard times, is that I didn't have that. I didn't have that hour a day where you know, I guess you know, I don't know if it was Rummed Us or you know Oasis who said be here now. But the very process of being a stand up comedian is this idea that it is mindfulness. I mean, you know at least that idea of you have to one hundred percent be in that moment, and you are at your best when you are in the moment. It's a conversation between you and the audience. I'm doing them majority of the talking, but I am constantly listening to the audience for what it is that they're engaging with. And it absolutely from night to night. This is the major variant that you will find in the show. The majority of the content is the same, but the way that it's presented can be incredibly different. Like, you know, the way that you would present the show to a Wednesday night audience in a beautiful theater, Say you're at the Art Center in Melbourne. You know on a Wednesday night. You know, people are sitting in comfortable chairs. They've paid, you know, a decent amount of money. There might be half of the crowd who own the everc shows at the Art Center. Is very different to the way that you would present those exact same jokes to a Saturday night, you know, basement comedy crowd, because the audience is different. The jokes aren't different, the presentation is different, the conversation you're having with the audience is different. You know. I use the analogy in the book about the audience being the ocean and the performers are the surfers. And you know, you can be a great surfer, but you can only serve to the conditions that are presented to you. So yeah, so the bad day thing when life's tough. I mean, I think you know, they always say that comedy is tragedy plus time, although you know what did I think mel Brooks said? Tragedy is when I cut my finger. In comedy is when you fall down an open seer and die. But I like, bad things most often lead to good comedy. I mean, that's what the book is, right, Like, it's been funny to me that, like some people who've read the book have come to me with this attitude of like, oh, it's quite emotional and it's quite harrowing in parts, and it doesn't really feel like that to me. I thought it was funny, like all the things that are in there. Yes, there are some heavy topics that are discussed, and some tough things that I'm reconciling with. But the reason that all those things are in the book is because I thought I had a funny take on those things. There are things that happened. The book is dedicated to Irene and Winnie. Irene was my nan who died during COVID and I was not able to see her to say goodbye because of the restrictions. And Winnie was our dog that died very prematurely. And look, if I'd wanted to write a book where I wanted people to sit at home and you weep and you feel sorry for me, and like pull it people's heart strings, I have the skills to have written those two stories in a way that would have been absolutely tear jerking. And you know, I could have manipulated the people reading the book to have a reaction to that, you know I mean, and I'm sure the publishers would have loved it, you know, the big emotional kick in the book. But that wasn't my intention with the book. I didn't find either of those things funny, and so they're not in the book because I didn't have a funny take on them. I'm a comedian, like I'm a stand up comedian. But also, you know, when I'm writing a book or presenting things, I'm looking at, can I take this bad thing and have a comedic take on it? And so that is the way that I am trying to process these things. So yeah, I think a lot of good a lot of good comedy comes from, you know, bad situations. And I think it can be quite frustrating if you are the loved one or friend of a comedian, because quite often, I think we have an incapacity to sometimes recognize or deal with the inherent shitness of a situation, because there is a part of us that the O is going, well, this will this will serve me well later I'm trying to put you know, my doctor's telling me that I might have skin cancer and I'm like, okay, great, I'm taking notes, will be great.
Speaker 1: Now your book I am not fine? Thanks, is out now. I read it over the weekend. It's brilliant. It's so funny. I was I was on holidays over the weekend and it was my weekend reading book and I was sitting on the couch. Well my partner was also reading, and I'm just laughing out loud and feeling, you know, at feeling like that that weird feeling when it's like, is my partner wondering why I'm laughing out loud so often? But it was it was so great. How else can can listeners connect with you? Well, aside from going out and buying the book?
Speaker 2: Yes, I have a show on the ABC Car Question Everything, which is a new show where we're trying to put new comedians or people that haven't been seen very often on TV on TV. So all the old episodes of that are on ABC I Views, so people can go and check those out. That'd be really cool. Ignore last season because we had to make that in a lockdown, but this season has been really fun and great. We've got a studio audience again, so it's it's really fun. I'd really love people to check that out. And yeah, I have a bunch of podcasts. If they go to toe FOP t O f OP dot com, tofop dot com, then you can find links to all podcast that is the home of where they all are.
Speaker 1: Amazing. Will thank you so much for your time. I've just loved chatting to you and understanding your process. Having been a fan for many, many years, so thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's all right, my pleasure.
Speaker 1: I found it fascinating to hear Will's process for creating comedy after watching him on my TV and on stage for the last two decades. I really loved the moment in this interview where he took me through how he was processing or observing my zoom background, which is a wall and a bookshelf in my studio. And since that interview, I've been trying to take moments during my day where I apply that same level of detail and analysis to simply observing what I can see around me. It hasn't led to jokes that are as funny as Will's, but it's been an interesting exercise and has also been quite good at keeping me in the present moment. How I Work is produced by Inventing, with production support from Dead's Set Studios. The producer for this episode was Liam Riordan, and thank you tomt Nimba, who does the audio mix for every episode and makes everything sound so much better than it would have otherwise. See you next time.