Speaker 1: Now this is hard for me to understand because I am not a vapor myself. I am not a smoker. I've actually never I have tried a vape. That's a lie, but I've never smoked a cigarette. I have tried one vape ever because someone was like, it's blueberry raspberry pop and I was like, sounds delicious, so I tried it. There is a study that has come out Generation Vape, led by the Cancer Council, and it has found that more than two thirds of fourteen to seventeen year olds have used a vape knowing it contains nicotine. Wow. Now people are saying, teachers are saying, and a professor is saying that kids are becoming addicted to vaping. Kids in school they're turning up to their exams with nicotine patches because they are so addicted. They're going away to school camps with nicotine patches. Like don't forget to pack your pajamas, your runners, you're pillow, you're sleeping bag, You're nicotine patch for you school camper prolic so much is a study, So I mean it's not don't believe it.
Speaker 2: I just think like the bigger issue here as well as is that for so long, the way in which the vapes, the way they looked at, the way they were branded, the things that they were named, the flavors of them were so marketed to kids, Like, it's no surprise to me at all that kids are addicted to vaping. You know, there's so many rules and regulations around how small packets of smoking are able to be displayed, but vapes bloody everywhere.
Speaker 1: Okay, listen to this. This is gobsmacking. Quitline who we all? I mean, I have family members that have used Quitline before. It's the line they've been helping people quit smoking for thirty years. The call up, yes exactly. They have said that they are now getting callers for vaping as young as twelve years old. Quitline is getting twelve year olds call up because they're addicted to vaping.
Speaker 2: But also, I reckon kids would have no idea how addictive it is, and then it's once too far gone that they don't know how to stop and they realize it's probably a problem. Or even if they're realizing it's a problem, who knows.
Speaker 1: Nowt on it.
Speaker 3: But at that age, you don't know me you can get them anywhere.
Speaker 1: But it is actually illegal for I think it's under eighteen. So how are twelve thirteen fourteen year olds getting by that?
Speaker 3: One actually needs to build into the sale of these things. They're everywhere and they market them. You're so right. They look so easy to get and suasibly displayed. Yeah, and also even I'm confused. Do some have nicotines, some don't, some do some flavors that I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Sorry, guys, I just made a mistake and I need to actually correct that.
Speaker 3: I've just looked it up.
Speaker 4: Ease.
Speaker 1: Cigarettes containing nicotine are only legal available with a prescription under the current laws. Wow, so how are they getting?
Speaker 3: George is called on thirteen one oh sixty five. You're a school teacher, are you?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, I am, now.
Speaker 3: Hi Georgie. What's your take?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Oh, it's horrific, Like pretty much every every kid in every school. And I'd like to say, and maybe not every but at least eighty percent of students at most schools bakee realistically.
Speaker 1: And they vakee at school. So like, are they just walking around in their recess with the like music bar and abape?
Speaker 4: No, it's not like that. They're pretty discreete because it is like an instant suspension. It's more just like in bath rooms and us as teachers, like, we can't really go in the bathroom, so it's a bit of a gray area like that.
Speaker 2: It's almost like, I mean, far worse health consequences, But it's almost like where mobile phones came in schools and teachers didn't know how to stop kids from bringing them in, how they would have you know, rules and what were the implications of it. And now we've got vaping, which is a whole other thing that teachers have to try and police when they should just be trying to teach a kid.
Speaker 3: Well, mind, were ugi O cards? Well, I couldn't bring yugi oh or Pokemon cards.
Speaker 1: Into mine was a tamagotchi. Yeah, Like, we come from very different worlds, But what do you think we do about it?
Speaker 3: George?
Speaker 1: Like, so, if you see a kid vaping on school, it's an instant suspension. What if you suspect, like, I mean, let's be real, you can smell it. They all smell like some sort of bubblegum or some sort of dessert. What do you do if you're like, I know you're doing that. Are you allowed to search their.
Speaker 4: Bags or realistically we aren't as teachers, but we can pass that on to higher up an executive even they have the ability to do that. So yeah, it's really just like a quick offload because yeah, we don't have that capability on. Unfortunately, it'd be great too, because yeah, they walk in smelling pretty fruity, and it's like only leading to one being realistically, do you know, like.
Speaker 1: Do you hear whispers around the playground about how they're accessing these knowing that you're supposed to have a prescription and it's illegal. Where are they getting them?
Speaker 4: Yeah? H they get them from each other, and I'm sure they get them from I guess stores that just sell underage and are just looking for money. But like, funny you say that, I've got a good story like about vaping of when I caught a lot of apes. So working at a previous school I worked in, we were under the suspicion that they were vaping the bathrooms and we knew that they were.
Speaker 3: So after.
Speaker 4: They all went back after lunch, we went into the bathrooms and we researching. We couldn't find and we're thinking where we know they're doing it in here? They don't have them on them where are they? And we ended up lifting up like the top of the toilet and there was about thirty eights in about massive sandwich bag. And because like this in which bags are waterproof, there air lay's sealed in their air tight, they were just it was just a communal.
Speaker 1: Vape like yes, like an el chapper, like in the cistern of the toilet like that. How do you did you have to be to have toilet water vape?
Speaker 4: But it's it's air tight because it's in my sandwich bag.
Speaker 3: So I don't Jordge, is it true that they are like there? You had to install smoke sensors in the school.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, that's correct. We have to install vape sensors in the school.
Speaker 1: Oh they're specific vape sensors, not smoke sensors.
Speaker 4: No, they're vape sensors so they can pick up like the vapor and then yeah, it just sets an arm off as security.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's insane.
Speaker 2: That is crazy.
Speaker 1: Imagine that we have to do that now.
Speaker 3: Totally, it's nuts. It's like that's there you go, Georgia, thank you Mane. I mean it's so interesting, isn't that crazy? Epidemic