Speaker 1: Good day before we kick off today's very special episode, which was recorded before a live audience at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival on April ten. It was amazing and because it was a live audience, there was some excitement in the room. Everyone was wonderful. I just want to put out like a warning. There is some language. It's more so early. There's a bit of a bit of a carpet bombing of a certain word that goes for about ten or fifteen seconds, and then everything kind of straightens out after that. There are also some references to Nazis, because hey, this movie has Nazis. But we had a great time. I really hope you would enjoy it. Thanks to everyone who came to the live show. We can't wait to do it again. But for now, you enjoy this one.
Speaker 2: But nine hundred years old you read your bookishood you were not?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Day?
Speaker 3: Oh dogs?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: Alright? Thanks English? Motherfucker do you speak it?
Speaker 3: Haven't a right now?
Speaker 4: You ain't seen nothing here.
Speaker 1: Hello moment, Welcome to the morcrel You ain't seen nothing yet.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the stage.
Speaker 1: Your host me Peter, the hell you?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 4: You came?
Speaker 3: I didn't know there's a Grand Prixon and a pandemic and you came. Thank you very much, Melbourne. It is great to be here. We gotta get pretty much straight into it, all right, are you ready to kick start? This is the very first one. Welcome, so you ain't say nothing yet.
Speaker 1: A movie podcast where I interview movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now.
Speaker 3: And today's guest is a dear friend of mine.
Speaker 1: I've worked with her on radio, on TV, from Roadulife to the Project and more recent on how to Stay Married. Quite simply, there is no one better. There is no one funnier. Ladies and gentlemen, Judith Lucy.
Speaker 5: I will disappoint you for that introduction. I cannot live up to that. Hello, Peter, Hell, are you what a delight.
Speaker 3: We're on stage with you? So this is amazing that you're here. It's incredible, It is incredible.
Speaker 1: I asked you how to Sydney Airport in the lounge before I even started. It was there's an idea and you when you told me that you hadn't seen and we'll get into it very soon this movie, I was like, you need to do it. And now in season four, you join us on stage, and it's gonna be very exciting.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 5: I do feel like you asked me about seventeen years ago, but here.
Speaker 3: We are finally all right, you gonna kick us off? Jude.
Speaker 5: I am so as a movie lover, Pete. You know I'm appalled at the notion of my three favorite films, so I will just give you a classic and two recent ones. Those three films are June.
Speaker 4: The Space Extends Life.
Speaker 5: Portrait of a Lady on Fire, and The Godfather.
Speaker 6: Come Up Girl?
Speaker 3: Have I said my name is Judith? Lucy?
Speaker 5: Have I said hello, I'm funny lady? And up until last week, I had not seen the sound of music.
Speaker 3: With the sound newz.
Speaker 1: Here's decades before Franz Dresher fell in love with mister Sheffield, Julie Andrews was a nanny who has set the straighten out and a group of unruly kids.
Speaker 3: Her name, of course, was Mary Poppins, but the year after that, in nineteen sixty five, she was an umbradoless nun.
Speaker 1: Sister Maria, who is set to straightened out another seven unruly kids after the mean girl nuns decide she doesn't have what to take for the nunnery.
Speaker 3: There she meets Liesel, my first crush.
Speaker 1: Frederick, Louisa, Kurt, Brigeta, Marta and Gretel. She dresses them in curtains. She takes him on the picnic on a mountain, a ride on the train, a bike ride, a change of wardrobe, and the sing along all on the same day.
Speaker 3: And I don't win to once. I'm calling bullshit on that, to be honest.
Speaker 1: She also meets the kid's father, the whistle happy disciplinarian, the widowed Captain von Trapp played by Christopher Plummer, a proud Austrian who just doesn't realize just how much he needs music and love in his life. Nominated for ten Oscars and bagging half of those, including Best Picture and Best Director, Robert Wise, The Sound of Music Lives Alpine, high in the top echelon of all time great films. Judith Lucy as a matter of interest, what is it you can't face?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 5: You jumped in there and Pete had to tell me, because I'm not really on social media that it was a bit of a thing that the mother superior says, what is it you can't face? But apparently people think she's saying cunt facts.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: I was deeply disappointed that she didn't actually say last. And I was also quite surprised because look, I went to a school with mercy nuns and they were nutty for it.
Speaker 3: Honestly.
Speaker 5: Every morning Sister Jemma would turn to us and say, come on, girls, it's time for our cunting assembly. So that was my there's disappointment with the film. Boy, times have changed, haven't they? Because the other thing, when I watched the movie, it actually said at the beginning warning depictions of tobacco. So I was also hoping that the Mother Superior might roll up a dooby, but also that did not happen.
Speaker 3: We have started hot, no doubt about that. I know several times.
Speaker 5: Three in the afternoon, isn't it frailing? And it's a Sunday, we all shall be in church.
Speaker 1: So I mean, when I tell people that you had not seen the sound of music, their jaws literally drop. I was shocked. I would have assumed it was one of your favorite films. You raise Catholic, you love movies. You were the host of a movie show for a time, so why maybe the only other one was Sampang who hadn't seen the castle. Sampang works for the guys who made the castle.
Speaker 5: He's a contrarian though year and he's shifty. You can't I can't trust Sampan.
Speaker 3: I've always said that, why have you not or had you not seen this? Look?
Speaker 5: And it is a reasonable question because I'm obsessed with nuns. I thought I was going to be a nun for about seven hours, you know, like every Catholic schoolgirl of my generation, I think. And it does have everything I love in a movie. Nuns, Nazis and romance. You can't go wrong, can you. And it's also surprising because the television was on in our household twenty four hours a day. It was like the fifth member of the family. I mean, to be honest with you. I watched so much television as a child. I thought the skipper from Gilligan's Island was my father. And we weren't just watching television. We were watching movies because my mum was a huge movie buff and old movies like and I saw all of those old musicals, you know, from Oklahoma to High Society, Annie gets your Gun and I don't now have a sound of music slip through our fingers.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: Mum was Irish, so she loathed the English and women, so maybe maybe she just had a thing for Julie Andrews. But so it slipped through the cracks anyway. And then I think by the time I was in my twenties, I started to realize that almost everyone else on the face of the earth had seen the sound of music. So then I just decided to kind of double down on it, do you know what I mean? I just decided to turn an oversight into some sort of triumph and go, well, I'm never gonna see it now, because I bet it's terrible. I mean in the same way that I've never set foot in an Aldie, and I feel like ship has simply sailed that I will never set foot in an Aldi. So that's kind of how I was about the sound.
Speaker 3: Of My next podcast is actually where haven't you been yet?
Speaker 1: So before we move on to your favorite films, and of course we'll come back and talk a lot about the sound of music, let's maybe play for those who also weren't aware of what went viral as far as what is it you can't face? Let's have a look at that scene and see if you agree what he's been said.
Speaker 4: You've been unhappy. I'm sorry, reverend mother.
Speaker 2: Why did they send you back to us?
Speaker 4: They didn't send me back? Mother? I left.
Speaker 2: Sit down, Maria, tell me what happened?
Speaker 7: Well, I I was frightened.
Speaker 2: Frightened. Well, they unkind?
Speaker 7: Do you all know?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: I was confused. I felt.
Speaker 4: I've never felt that way before.
Speaker 9: I couldn't say I knew that here I'd be away from it, I'd be safe.
Speaker 2: Maria, our abbey is not to be used as an escape. But is it? You can't face.
Speaker 5: I think you're clutching at a sweary straw there myself.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about June's this is the original or the recent.
Speaker 3: June on the original?
Speaker 9: Get out?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: Because yeah, I just wanted to mention a couple of recent films because June I was so excited, because how good was it to go back to the cinema when we couldn't go for a couple of years. So I had a couple of false starts, and I thought, oh, the Bond film will be great to see on the big screen, Little Bored and French Dispatch Love Wes Anderson. That movie didn't add up to a hill of beans. But then when I saw June at Imax. The only time I wasn't completely engrossed in the movie was when I was thinking, this is what cinema is all about.
Speaker 3: I lost my mind. I loved it.
Speaker 5: I think he's an incredible director. So yeah, that would that's the best thing I've seen recently. And Portrait of a Lady on Fire was my favorite lockdown film.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen that one. Oh.
Speaker 5: I cannot recommend it highly enough. French film, it's sort of it's a deceptively simple story. There's very little dialogue, there's almost no music. I loved it.
Speaker 1: And then of course the classic The Godfather, which is my favorite film. I say, I say you got Father and Godfather Part two of my favorite films.
Speaker 5: Well it's yeah, it's like which child do you kill? Because I always got on my case all of them, but we do won't go into that. Yes, Godfather one or Godfather too?
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 5: But and this is not a cherry story, Pete, but I'm going to jump in and tell it anyway. But The Godfather now has a particular resonance for me because my brother died quite a few years ago now, but the last words he ever said to me were I'll see tomorrow, baby sister. He was twelve years older, and we'll watch The Godfather. Fortunately then he died. But look, I oh look, if you don't laugh, you cry. Come on, everyone, it wasn't your brother.
Speaker 3: Pretend boohoo. But I really wanted.
Speaker 5: This is just a handy hint. I'm giving you for free because I wanted the next time I saw The Godfather, for obvious reasons, it to be special. So I thought, oh, I'll go and see it at the Arts Center with the mso doing the soundtrack and Peter was terrible. And it's terrible because has anyone been to one of those ones where they do the soundtrack. We'll see my beef with it is huge screen, beautiful print. You cannot hear a word of dialogue because it's all.
Speaker 3: So if you're actually there.
Speaker 5: For the movie instead of the soundtrack, it's a waste of everyone time.
Speaker 1: For those listening to the podcast, Jude comically play the violin. So, okay, I'm just gonna ask, did you enjoy the sound of music?
Speaker 3: Can I talk around that? I knew it wasn't gonna be a no, it's not it.
Speaker 5: I was struck by many things. Well, for starters. Even though I hadn't seen it, I felt like I had, because I mean, I am a movie lover. I've seen so many clips from it because it's such an iconic film. We all know the songs, and so the fact that I had seen so much of it already did not make those two hours, fifty five minutes and twenty seven seconds fly by. I will say that.
Speaker 3: So you checked out the running time I did.
Speaker 5: I did that quite a lot, and I actually did it in two sittings, which is very unusual for me. I will absolutely own the fact that I wept a lot while I was watching it. But was that the movie? Was that me getting over COVID? I'm not sure, and also trying to understand why my supposedly good friend Denise Scott had abandoned me in Adelaide when I got it, But that's a story for another time. Come and see the show. Hear me bitch about her on stage in front of her, So that was in there. Something that I was pleasantly surprised about was I did find myself thinking I would have sat on a young Christopher Plumber's face.
Speaker 3: And I didn't know.
Speaker 5: You know, I've never found him attractive before, so that was something. Then again, it is slim Pickens in that film, isn't it. Who else are you going to go for the creepy uncle Max?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I did want to know, did you find him sexy? Capa von Chabin? Obviously I sort of did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I sort of did.
Speaker 3: He's a little bit smoldering.
Speaker 5: But can I tell you my biggest issue with the movie, or the thing that I found interesting, Pete, was, you know, despite the fact that initially the kids don't really like Maria, despite the fact that the man she loves is engaged to someone else, despite the fact that she then returns to the convent and wrestles with the fact of oh should I become or nun or not, and then ultimately despite the fact that all of their lives are threatened by a bunch of Nazis, there is not a second of tension in.
Speaker 3: The film, not a second. It's remarkable.
Speaker 5: It's like this, you know, it starts off with all the kids don't like her, but these are a few of my favorite things. Now they do.
Speaker 3: Oh, the Captain's gonna marry someone else, climb every mountain. Now he's gonna amicably.
Speaker 5: Break up his engagement. You know, it's just it's just there is It's amazing to me because a lot happens, but they're not interested in the story at all. It just sort of lurches from one side to the next with the occasional oh look a lovely mountain. And as you said about the captain, he starts off as this cold authoritarian and then the next thing, you know, he's just a happy go lucky guitar playing softy and it's just like, but there's no journey, do you know what I mean. It's just like someone flicks a switch or sings a song, and now the plot has moved along.
Speaker 1: Well, let's have a let's have a look at the meeting of Captain von Tramp and Maria.
Speaker 2: Why do you stay at me that way?
Speaker 4: Well, you don't look at tall legacy, captain.
Speaker 10: Sir, I'm afraid you don't look very much like a governess. Turn around, hat of.
Speaker 3: It's the dress.
Speaker 11: You don't have to put on another one before you meet the children.
Speaker 2: But I didn't have.
Speaker 9: Another one when we entered the abbey.
Speaker 4: Our worldly clothes are given to the poor.
Speaker 2: What about this one?
Speaker 9: The poor didn't want this one? Well, I would have made myself and you dress, but there wasn't time. I can make my own clothes.
Speaker 10: Well, I see that you'll get some material today, if possible.
Speaker 11: Now, prolim Maria, I don't know how much the mother avers has told you.
Speaker 4: Not much.
Speaker 11: You are the twelfth in a long line of governesses will come to look after my children since their mother died. I trust that you will be an improvement on the last one.
Speaker 2: She stayed only two hours.
Speaker 4: What's wrong with the children, sir?
Speaker 11: There's nothing wrong with the children, only the governesses. They were completely unable to maintain discipline. Without her, this house cannot be properly run. You will please remember that for aim. Yes, sir, every morning you will drill the children in their studies. I will not permit them to dream away. There's summer holidays.
Speaker 2: Each afternoon they will march about the grounds, breathing deeply. Bedtime has to be strictly observant.
Speaker 11: Excuse me, so when they came, they conduct themselves at all time with the utmost or innocent acorum.
Speaker 2: I'm dressing you in commander, Yes.
Speaker 1: So, Jude, when it was the last time somebody asked you to twelve, well you did this afternoon.
Speaker 3: Oh well, yeah, that was that was just could you look great? Well?
Speaker 5: Also, when I applied to be Warren Beatty's secretary, apparently he used to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it wasn't a world away from a you know, Roger Raile's style.
Speaker 5: No, no, well, I think the film is very progressive in so many ways, Pete. So I wasn't entirely shocked by that, saying, yeah, it really broke down some barriers when it came to race though, didn't it. It's one of the whitest films I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: It wasn't Jerremoh Austria, were you surprised? Did you know that Nazis were involved in this film?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 5: I vaguely remembered there was Nazi involvement.
Speaker 1: Not in the production, in the in the in the story. What were your thoughts on.
Speaker 5: Rolf l Rolf had a touch of Does anyone remember the scene from Cabaret when they burst into Fatherland Fatherland? Well, it's a much much better fucking film, so you know, just watch it if you haven't.
Speaker 3: But I feel like you're not talking around it as much.
Speaker 5: No, that's true, but he could have come straight out of that scene. So he was very I thought he was like Nazi stereo type number one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny when I when I was young, and I should say I loved it.
Speaker 3: I love this film. I watched.
Speaker 1: I watched this film almost almost as many times I've seen Star Wars.
Speaker 5: Really, how old were you when you first saw it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Probably six? Okay?
Speaker 5: And I do respect you, Les, just to thank you.
Speaker 3: Was that for the twelve or was that?
Speaker 1: But anyway, So it's funny when you're when I do this podcast and all of a sudden, look at a film that I love that I'm about to talk about, and I'm wondering what you're thinking about it. Obviously you're thinking about sitting on this is a face. I didn't think about that, but you do look at it. What you said before about there's no tension is absolutely correct, But there's nothing really happens. Is the Baroness I used to always think was the I guess, the villain of the story. But when you watch it as an adult, yeah, she actually comes across as quite quite dignifying.
Speaker 5: I beg to differ Pete, because come on, she's been married, she's blonde, and she smokes, she's a slut and you can't trust her. I think that's pretty obvious.
Speaker 1: There's a there's a funny scene where they're all saying when he announces the marriage, and they all go up and they kiss her individually, and Kurt he whispers something in her ear and I it seems like a very strange and.
Speaker 3: He kept the one choke and said, you get out of here, you scamp. It's a very strange.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, obviously it's It's a.
Speaker 1: Fun thing when you watch it next. It's a fun thing to imagine what Kurt whispers to the baroness. I think it's call me Captain von Pants.
Speaker 3: Did you have a favorite kid?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: I hated them all. Oh well, Laser was hot. I can understand why she was a crust. But she's sixteen going on forty two.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, if.
Speaker 5: She's sixteen, I'm twenty seven.
Speaker 3: It was twenty one.
Speaker 5: Well, she was clearly older than sixteen.
Speaker 3: And Christopher Plumber was thirty five when they made this film.
Speaker 5: And something I did enjoy was the fact that he was only six years older than Juliandrews, which, especially in the sixties, when usually you know, the two leads were at least twenty years apart. That was something, But I did want to say the child I hated the was is Gretel the youngest one because she believe Gretel alone, Joe, I'm sorry, but she looks like a human lava. I really I just wanted to call the exterminator.
Speaker 3: But I thought this was interesting. Did you know I'm losing people?
Speaker 5: Did you know that some of the other people they considered for casting in terms of the children were Cherry Gar, Kurt Russell, and the Osmonds.
Speaker 3: And I put it to.
Speaker 5: You that it would have been a far more interesting film if those people had landed the roles. Imagine Kurt and Donnie and Marie k.
Speaker 3: Kurt Russell would have been amazing. That would have been phenomenal.
Speaker 1: So it's like I said, when you watch it, I have so much love for this film, but I think because it takes me back to when I was a kid more so than anything else. But there is there are things through the wrong, but it's basically the songs that hold this movie together is do you have a favorite song at least?
Speaker 5: Well, I'll tell you my least favorite, which was of course Adalvites I mean, come on, and the lyrics for that and what's small and white, clean and bright, which is obviously implying that only white things are clean, so it's racist. But the one that I particularly well, I've printed out the lyrics to my favorite one, Pete, which is of course sixteen going on seventeen, because I thought some of the lyrics really need to be read out, if that's all rightas do of course, your life, little girl, is an empty page that men will want to write on.
Speaker 3: How creepy is.
Speaker 5: That the word defiled just popped into my mind. Eager young lads and rogues and cads will offer you food and wine. Well I sort of disagree with that, because, frankly, if a man offers you food and wine, marry him. But she's also wary, of course, Pete of bachelor Dandy's and drinkers of Brandy's. Well, we know Brandy was the crystal myth of the thirties. And it's the final verse, though, Pete, that really makes it the feminist anthem that I love. I need someone older and wiser telling me what to do. You are seventeen going on eighteen. I'll depend on you, and I think that's just the beginning of a beautiful, coercive relationship.
Speaker 3: Ultimately and and domestic violence. So the lesson is never bring home a Nazi.
Speaker 1: Let's have a look at the scene where Rop delivers a telegram and things get a little bit heated, because it's interesting to watch this knowing yeah, even with the where the world is now Austria in annex, it's a there's a big there's a bit going on in this and.
Speaker 5: It's amazing that there is some tension. For a second, Sonore that everybody happened much.
Speaker 2: H h h What are you doing there? Or Captain von Trap I was just looking for I didn't see I mean, he didn't know you were hil Hitler. Who are you? I have a telegram for head dead Wiler? I am heard Dad Whiler. Yes, sir, yeah, all right, you've delivered your telegram. I'll get out, Okay, okay, Old. He's just a boy, yes, and I'm just an Austrian. What's going to happen is going to happen. Just beg. It doesn't happen to you, Max. Don't you ever say that again? You know I have no political convictions. Can I help it? If other people do? Oh? Yes, you can help it. You must help it.
Speaker 1: Hello, Then she says, how can I bring you back from that far away place?
Speaker 3: Yes? Pa, how does he manage to do that?
Speaker 5: Don't know you thinking she offered him a risty.
Speaker 12: Well, considering your characterization a minute ago, it does get pretty steamy, though, doesn't it.
Speaker 5: Because I also love the fact that you know Maria and the Captain.
Speaker 3: Realize they're in love when they're awkwardly.
Speaker 5: Jumping through a traditional Austrian folk dance. I thought, well, they didn't need tinder back then, did they? Nothing like a folk dance to bring people together.
Speaker 3: Did you one thing this before? Rolf was weird? There?
Speaker 1: Like he arrives, it's obviously tense, So to break the tension he goes into a hitless salute.
Speaker 9: I think.
Speaker 3: When in Rome, I think.
Speaker 5: That's another take home lesson from today. You're in a tense situation, don't you.
Speaker 1: Did you find as far as chemistry goes, did you find there was more chemistry between the Baroness and Captain von Trapp or Captain von Trapp and Julie andrews?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 5: That's a good question, and my lack of interest makes it hard to answer. But I feel like he and the Baroness were better sous to be honest, Yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Feels like Cata von Champ and Maria seem pretty I can't imagine says that Maria sitting on his face.
Speaker 5: I don't want to preempt anything.
Speaker 3: But are we showing the clips from the wedding? Yeah, we can. I do have that. Actually, let's have let's have a look at it.
Speaker 5: Because I well, I was particularly moved by the wedding. That's probably because only one man has ever proposed to me, and that was Stuart Cummings and I was in grade one. I turned him down because his family didn't have a pall and that's a decision I will regret for the rest of my life. But anyway, but what what bride to be wouldn't want to hear this as they were walking down the aisle, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously Anaconda hadn't been released.
Speaker 2: At this point.
Speaker 5: Is how lovely that your husband is standing there and people are saying that you're a problem of flibberty, but a demon and a headache. So I don't I don't expect that marriage to last.
Speaker 1: No getting trolled as you walked, And it's also been very much an organized thing.
Speaker 3: There's three hundred people in that chapel and they're all singing.
Speaker 1: They got together, they learned the song and they sung it at her most precious moment in her line.
Speaker 5: Yeah, why not just sing? You're making a huge mistake.
Speaker 1: There were some crushes on set, so you know. Apparently Louisa had a crush on Frederick. Frederick had a crush on Liesel. Liesel had a crush on Captain von Trapp. He was twenty one at the time. Apparently Christopher Plumber drunk quite a bit and that the only child he spoke to off camera was Liesel Charmaine car and they said. Charmaine said their autobiography that there was some flirting going on.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: He hated the film, of course, Christopher Plumber, and he referred to it as awful, sentimental and gooey and no wonder he drank his way through it. If I'd been Julie Andrews, I also would have drunk my way for it.
Speaker 3: Well, he said, working.
Speaker 1: With Julie Andrews was like rocking up to work and being slapped by a Valentine's card every day.
Speaker 3: Apparently they did.
Speaker 1: In the end, they were They were quite close by the end. As the years went on, they were very they were very close and friendly. But another fun fact was he was also drunk, apparently during the music festival, and artists drunk at festivals just a no go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm appalled to him discussing. Well, he was Amuso too, so of course he was pissed. Did you probably taken a couple of lines?
Speaker 3: Did you?
Speaker 4: When?
Speaker 1: I mean, when I was a kid, I kind of fail in love with Austria watching this, Do you have any sense of like, have you been to Austria?
Speaker 5: No? No, I haven't, but I felt like me. You know, I was talking to Denise Scott about it, because Scotty actually used to host like Singerlongs to the Sound of Music. I have seen Denise Scott wearing letterhusen on her way to hosting one of those things, and you know, when she said to me, what did you think of it? I found myself saying it was a lot of lovely scenery, which I feel like is one of the most damning things you can probably say about a movie. But yeah, I mean it did look beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they haven't been on the Sound of Music tour. It's a good fun.
Speaker 5: Those people will never buy tickets to see me. Ever again, I have just said goodbye to about fifteen audience members.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, has anyone come here today who actually doesn't like the sound of music?
Speaker 3: Maybe I've lost more like two hundred.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, has anyone coming and not seen the sound of music? Okay, there aren't spoilers I should have pointed out earlier.
Speaker 5: But there is no tension, so it really doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Also, what's what is interesting is the real life Nazis once the Von Traps, he's obviously based on a real story, a true story. They have changed some things so for instance that the.
Speaker 5: Pressure, they made it less interesting.
Speaker 3: They removed all the tension and discussed it's quite possibly true.
Speaker 1: Actually what we'd have said, because in real life what happened was the Nazis not only wanted the captain to go work work for them, but there was another There was an older Von Trapp who's been written out in the movie.
Speaker 3: His name was probably Gary, and they wanted Gary.
Speaker 1: He was a doctor and they wanted him to be a doctor for the Nazis. And they also wanted the Von Trapp to sing Happy Birthday that Hitler on the radio, and it's quite see what you've been joking, they're not really joking about the lack of tension.
Speaker 3: That actually does add tension, a.
Speaker 5: Great deal of tension. Yeah, so let's get rid of that.
Speaker 1: And then the real Nazis. Once the Von Traps fled, and they fled by train, they didn't go over the mountain because if they were actually going where they go in the movie over the mountain, they're going closer to Germany, right, And actually Hitler had a mountain side retreat, which is basically on the other side of that mountain. The real Von Traps would often be at a cafe and Hitler would be there having like smashed abo.
Speaker 5: Outside of the smashed Avo bit. I mean, that's fascinating. Why wouldn't you put that in a movie?
Speaker 1: And then in the end, so they leave and they did sacrifice a lot. They arrived in America with four dollars and the real Nazis in Heinrich Himlick, he's one of the upper Nazis. I think he worked in say he took over the house and when Hitler would visiting, he would stay in the real Von trap house.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, it's called Nazi information for you.
Speaker 5: I have been more interested in the last ten minutes than I was in two hours twenty seven seconds of the movie.
Speaker 3: And in Germany.
Speaker 1: Actually when they when the executive film executive, so they wanted to cut. This may not surprise you. They wanted to cut the film after the wedding. It was basically, the wedding happened, and then nothing else happened out. Yes, did you find One of the things I really noticed as an adult watching watching it was once they get married, it no longer.
Speaker 3: Is about sister Maria, no at all. No, she's done.
Speaker 5: Suddenly, it's in glorious bastards.
Speaker 3: That's a good point. It's a good point.
Speaker 1: I spoke before about the Baroness. I always thought she was the villain. You had an interesting take on it earlier. But let's have a look at some world class nagging going on from the Baroness and Maria.
Speaker 5: Oh this scene is mystifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well let's have a little.
Speaker 4: I want to help me, Baroness. I'm delighted.
Speaker 7: Ina, I really don't think I do have anything that.
Speaker 4: Would be appropriate.
Speaker 8: Now, where is that lovely little thing you were wearing the other evening when.
Speaker 4: The captain couldn't keep.
Speaker 9: His eyes off, couldn't keep his eyes off me.
Speaker 4: Come, my dear, we are women, and let's not pretend we don't know when a man notices us. Here. We have to notice everybody and everything.
Speaker 8: There's no need to feel so defensive, Maria, you are quite attractive. You won't captain would hardly be a man if he didn't notice you.
Speaker 7: And as I hope you're joking, not at all, but I've never done a thing today.
Speaker 4: You don't have to, my dear.
Speaker 8: There's nothing more irresistible to a man than a woman who's in love with him.
Speaker 4: In love with him, of course, to what makes it so nice?
Speaker 8: As he thinks he's in love with you.
Speaker 4: But that's not true.
Speaker 8: Surely you've noticed the way he looks into your eyes, and you know you blushed in his.
Speaker 4: Arms on you're dancing. Just now. You don't take it to heart.
Speaker 8: He'll get over it soon enough, I should think, men, do you know?
Speaker 7: Then I should go. I mustn't stay here. There's something I can do to him, nothing.
Speaker 4: Yes, please don't say a word about this to the Captain. No, I wouldn't dream of it. Goodbye, Maria. I'm sure you'll make a very fine nun.
Speaker 3: Just a sister helping out another sister, I'll.
Speaker 5: Tell you what chicks you can't trust him, especially when they have half a fishing net attached to the top.
Speaker 3: Of their dress. I love you are quite attractive. That was an interesting one. No sugar on that, No, no.
Speaker 5: Sugar on that. And she was saying that to her while she was essentially in her underwear, which I thought was confronting.
Speaker 1: I would have liked if she ever said, Maria says she at the door. She turns around and she says, Maria, I think you're going to be a fine nun.
Speaker 3: Now, fuck off.
Speaker 5: If she'd said, Maria, what is it? You can't say?
Speaker 3: Like I said earlier. When I watched it as a kid, I thought she was the villain. I really, I really.
Speaker 5: Thought she was like the and I think I think that's what they were gunning for as well.
Speaker 1: But I think when you watch it as an adult, you have you do have a different view of the baroness because when and we'll go into another clip now, which is when she says goodbye, and I always kind of thought, yeah, she was, she was the villain, but she handles this with I would say, a bit of dignity.
Speaker 4: There you are.
Speaker 8: I really must speak to cook about the venush nut. It is entirely too delicious for my think, and it makes you much too quiet at the dinner table.
Speaker 4: Was it the wine?
Speaker 10: The one?
Speaker 2: You have?
Speaker 4: No idea?
Speaker 8: What kind of trouble I'm having trying to decide what to give you for a wedding present.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know I'm enough, but I do want you.
Speaker 8: To have some little trifle for the occasion. The first time I thought of a fountain pen, but you've already got one. And then I thought perhaps a villain in the south of France, but they are so difficult to give trap.
Speaker 4: Okay, how do you feel about yachts?
Speaker 8: A long, sleek one for the Mediterranean or a tiny one for your bathdom?
Speaker 4: And where to go on our honeymoon? Now that is a real problem.
Speaker 8: I thought a trip around the world would be lovely. Then I said, oh, el so there must be someplace better to go.
Speaker 4: And don't worry, darling, Yes, chaol.
Speaker 13: It's no use.
Speaker 10: You and I.
Speaker 6: I'm being dishonest to both of us, utterly unfair to you. Until people talk of marriage.
Speaker 4: Don't say another word, chaok Please.
Speaker 8: You see there are other things I've been thinking of.
Speaker 4: Fond as I am of you. I really don't think you're the right man for me.
Speaker 8: You're you're much too independent, and I need someone who needs me desperately, or at least needs my money desperately.
Speaker 4: I've enjoyed every moment we've had together. I do thank you for that.
Speaker 8: Now with them, if you'll forgive me, I go inside, pack my atter bags and return to the Nawhere and somewhere out there is a young.
Speaker 4: Lady who I think will never be.
Speaker 3: A nun.
Speaker 10: Darling.
Speaker 3: I mean the double take.
Speaker 5: Ye, maybe Christopher Plummer was drunk there as well. Yes, the Baroness is actually quite classy. I think I actually quite liked her. And of course I liked her because she wanted to pack the kids off the boarding school. But no, I agree, she's actually entirely reasonable. Apart from that very weird scene you showed before. I liked it.
Speaker 1: And So Julie Andrews gets nominated for the Oscar.
Speaker 3: Not sure if she wins.
Speaker 1: It, Christian don't think she didn't. Christial Plumber didn't get nominated, did you? What do you think of Julie Andrews. It's an amazing performance.
Speaker 5: I mean, shoot, I'd love to know who did win that year. If anyone wants to google it.
Speaker 3: It might have been the sixty six Oscars. Okay, Julie Christy is it?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: Well, come on? And what was that for? Which is the film? And that is a brilliant film and an incredible performance. So no, pete, I really, I really didn't think it was a terrific performance. It's I mean, it's a it's your standard musical.
Speaker 3: Kind of look. I mean, I've never been in the music.
Speaker 5: Look, my equivalent is the Wizard of Ours. That's that was the film I watched probably the first time when I was sick, and watched it every couple of years and absolutely loved it and loved Judy Garland. What's Judy garl But so I think I would feel very much the same way if someone was attacking the Wizard of Oz.
Speaker 1: So my apologies, I mean, I guess that was the Mark Hamill that That'll be a whole different discussion we'll have. So we we uh scip a night at the time we were go I want to play one last clip, and this is the clip, almost the turning point, if.
Speaker 3: You like, of their relationship.
Speaker 1: Captain von Chabbi is about the boot Maria out for having that extraordinarily long day with the kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and can I say I'm having tiny tennis? Did you pack?
Speaker 5: That's I am glad this is the last clip because I'm starting to feel like I'm watching the entire movie.
Speaker 3: It was a trapture, all right, this is uh.
Speaker 1: They've come, They've come back and on the on the boat and they all fall in. Apparently, Gredel, you might be happy with this. She couldn't swim, and.
Speaker 5: I'm not happy because she clearly survived.
Speaker 3: She couldn't swim.
Speaker 1: So the idea was she was supposed to fall next to Julie Andrews, who was going to take care of her. But Julie Andrews falls on the other side of the boat, so one of the other kids ends up fishing her out and performing mouth to mouth, and then of course Christopher Plumber, Common Trap and sister Maria have words.
Speaker 2: Prodan, you want to stay here? Please?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I'd better go see what Max is up to.
Speaker 14: No flin, I want to took falanswer from your Yes, captain.
Speaker 2: Is it possible? Oh god, I have just imagined it.
Speaker 14: Have my children, by any chance been climbing trees today? Yes, Captain, I see and where?
Speaker 2: May I ask? Did they get these these play clothes?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 2: Is that what you call them?
Speaker 9: I made them from the drapes that used to hang in my bedroom. Dream They still have plenty of where left. The children have been everywhere in them.
Speaker 14: Do you mean to tell me that my children have been roaming about Sutspur dressed up in nothing but some old.
Speaker 9: Drapes and having a marvelous time. They have uniforms, straight jackets. If you'll forgive me, I will not forgive you for that. Children cannot do all the things they're supposed to do if they have to worry about spoiling.
Speaker 4: Their well, they wouldn't dare. They love you too much? They fear you.
Speaker 2: I don't wish you to discuss my children in this manner.
Speaker 9: You've got to hear from someone you're never home longing.
Speaker 2: I don't want to hear any more from you about you.
Speaker 9: Know you don't, But you've got to now take lisel child. One of these days you're going to wake up and find he's a woman. You won't even know her. And Friedrich, he's a boy, but he wants to be a man like you, And there's no.
Speaker 2: One to show your hand tell me about my son.
Speaker 9: Gheeza could tell you about him if you'd let her get close to you. She notices everything, and Kurt pretends he's tough, not to show how hurt he is when you brush.
Speaker 4: Him aside the way you do all of them.
Speaker 9: Louise, I don't know, but someone has to find out about it.
Speaker 4: And the little ones just want to be loved. Oh please, Catay, love them.
Speaker 14: Love them.
Speaker 2: I don't care to hear anything further from you finished. Oh yes, you are captain right now.
Speaker 14: You will pack your things this minute and return to the abbey.
Speaker 2: What's that it's singing? Yes, I realized it's singing, But who is singing?
Speaker 4: The children?
Speaker 2: Children?
Speaker 4: Every song? My to be like the wis.
Speaker 3: Rise from the lame to.
Speaker 1: Ludes, I mean, and then he turns in the cheer and I would say that scene, Judith Lucy for me had so much tension. I'm glad the rest of the film didn't.
Speaker 3: I couldn't have any more tension after that.
Speaker 5: She's feisty. I'll give you that page. But why watching some of these clips again? I think we can also for Lisay the Christopher Plumber, a master of the the double Tape.
Speaker 1: So the one scene that is tense, the last twenty minutes our post wedding in the Nazis are, you know, on their doors.
Speaker 3: The creeping out of the house is tense.
Speaker 1: The escape from the music festival knowing that the Nazis are there, but the searching for them in the in the cemetery, the nunnery.
Speaker 3: I mean, you would have been tense. Then drew.
Speaker 4: At you.
Speaker 5: Because I mean, even though it does become a completely different film, as you've pointed out, by that stage, you just kind of know that they're going to be okay, because that's how the whole film has been sort of structured, and that's I felt like that was the feel of the whole movie. So, I mean, it would have been fascinating if one of the children had been shot, really up to my enjoyment, baby, the captain had been taken, you know something. But no, by that stage, I thought, nothing bad is going to happen.
Speaker 3: How many stars out of five?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 3: Can I read it?
Speaker 5: A line from Pauline Kale with a very well known American film critic. She described the movie as the sugar coated lie people seem to want to eat, and then added audiences have turned into emotional and esthetic imbeciles. When we hear ourselves humming the sickly goody goody songs, I feel I'm in Pauline's camp. Look for sentimental reasons and because I love you, Peter Hellier, I'll give it a six.
Speaker 3: A six. I said I was only five stars six five.
Speaker 5: You love this movie, loves the SATs.
Speaker 1: A couple of all fun facts before we go out, and so can I just say, Pete, I am very happy that I've seen it.
Speaker 5: I will never watch it again, no shit, and I would not have watched it but for you and this podcast, So thank you.
Speaker 1: As I say, this podcast comes with homework, and I this is this is the second longest movie we have done. This is just under three hours. There's one we haven't released yet. We did Gone with the Wind with Rove mcmanor. So that's that's what's coming up.
Speaker 5: And that's not a problematic film at.
Speaker 3: All these days.
Speaker 5: That will be an interesting discussion.
Speaker 3: Rolf was a walk in the park.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, there's a there's minefields there, but here are some And thanks for everyone who listens to the podcast and subscribes to it.
Speaker 3: We'd love to do a live show down the track.
Speaker 1: For those who haven't unless you listened to the podcast, it's basically this, but this is a live version. We've had recently Osha Ginsburg doing Roman Holiday, Charlie Pickering doing Sexualize videotape, Tony Martin had done.
Speaker 3: This is a fete.
Speaker 5: Yes, there was a movie Tony hadn't seen.
Speaker 1: We have emailing us saying, surely Tony Martin has seen everything.
Speaker 3: There won't be a movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: For those who haven't listened to the episode, Tony Martin never seen. Oh he has seen now Top Gun.
Speaker 5: Oh well, I'm genuinely really surprised. Yeah, and what did he think of it?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's stupid. It's a stupid movie. What I haven't realized is.
Speaker 1: When they're going to get attacked at the end, they're in San Diego at the Top Gun at the Academy and they get attacked, they have to go into a real sky battle. Who the fuck's the enemy? I've been attacked by Canadians. Really good point, It makes no sense. Here's a fun facts.
Speaker 3: Days.
Speaker 1: The day after the von Chaps escaped, Hitler shut the borders. They just got out in time. The real Maria had quite a sad life. Her parents died very young. She lived with an uncle who was very mean and an atheist, so he're actually becoming a numb wise and act of rebellion in a way. And she says she fell in love with the kids first before she fell in love with the captain, like she had never actually been kids in any way, shape or form. And when one of the kids gave her a kiss on the cheek, that's when she fell in love with the kids, and she fell in love with the captain later on.
Speaker 3: Human touch human very important. We all know that after the last.
Speaker 1: Two years, sister Mary was in lockdown for two reasons, to leave the house to sing on the mountain and to go to the shops. And she used to sing Julia and used to sing a super color fragilistic expellodosius to the kids. And they thought because Mary Poppins hadn't come out yet, they thought she was just making it up for them, dumb shits. And yeah, and this is the final fun fact, the real the reason the von Chaps have money. It was not because of anything von Trapp did. It's because his widow, his ex wife or his wife who had passed away.
Speaker 5: Oh I love the fact that we hear nothing, not a single thing.
Speaker 3: Did she just give.
Speaker 5: Birth to the seventh child?
Speaker 3: And when I'm.
Speaker 1: Done and bunchups, you're like, I'm over it then. And the reason that they live in there, that's an amazing house and they have money is her great her grandfather invented the torpedo.
Speaker 3: There's torpedo money.
Speaker 1: Her grandfather invented the torpedo, and her uncle invented the drop punt. That's a footy gag Win in Melbourne. But Judah Lucy, like I said, this comes with home.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys for coming out to see the very first historical inaugural edition of You Ain't Seeing Nothing Yet Live keep seeing stuff. For the Melbourne Comedy Festial, Judith Lucy of course is a must every comedy festim we should be booking Judith Lucy with Denise Scott still hiss.
Speaker 5: Still here on at the Art Center. I'll be skipping off to do the five forty five.
Speaker 3: In fact, Jude, you have to leave now because there are a Nazis waiting. Thank you very much. Thanks to everyone.
Speaker 5: How with the show.
Speaker 3: We'll see you again, keep watching movies.
Speaker 8: So long, farewell, and to night I help you people and the stoky same.
Speaker 2: So long.
Speaker 4: Yay, Well I'll be to say I do I do you to you and you and you.
Speaker 3: I'm still smiling.
Speaker 1: I am still smiling at that event, both live and then listening back to it with Judith LUSI thank you so much. It was a long awaited episode. We often got emails about when is that Judith Lucy sounding music episode come up? I promised it before we had recorded it in season one, and then it just got disruptions and delays, and dude, as I knew she would, finally came good in a pretty big way, above and beyond doing a live our first live podcast, we went sure if anyone was going to rock up. There were nearly three hundred people in the room. It was just it was so much, so much joy and love for comedy and movies in that room.
Speaker 3: We will do it again.
Speaker 1: We're already working on well, at least thinking about the movie and the guests that we might have at a live venue coming in soon. Hopefully we can do it around the country more and more as life gets back to normal. But thank you Jude, once again, just one of the one thing I didn't point out was the opening scene of the Sound of Music. And when I actually watched it, and I might to bring Derek from Casway Studios in here today. Derek, Hello, you've seen the Sound of Music many times? Surely no, God, you haven't seen it at all.
Speaker 13: Look bits and pieces, I reckon, I've seen enough bits and pieces to put it all together.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, Duke kind of felt that to a degree, and it was one of the things you do think about, is that opening scene.
Speaker 3: You know, the hills are alive, the Sound of Music. That's the first thing you see.
Speaker 1: And I always thought it was almost like it happened really quickly, like the camera just after you know, the the movie logo, the film shit the fox, and then they swept straight into the hills are alive.
Speaker 3: But what I forgot, it's got these beautiful shots.
Speaker 1: Of the mountains and it's just like it's this wind for it, you know, like for almost a minute, I reckon, maybe even closer to two it's the wind, and then there's some birds you start hearing. It's you get closer down towards the ground or the mountains, and then some wind chimes, and then all of a sudden you hear the music. Starts kicking in and then it swells into Julie Andrews singing the hills are Alive. Yeah, it reminded me that what a studying opening sequence that was. And they actually shot it by using helicopters that would actually push Julie Andrews over, you know, and she had after about six takes it okay, guys, you know if I'm a bit pissed off now, like you've had enough, And they would shoot it by like flying sideways next to it.
Speaker 3: That's where you can see.
Speaker 1: I think they did the same thing when the kids are and the von Trapps are going over the mountain at the end you can actually see the grass obviously moving around.
Speaker 3: Because of the blade of the helicopter.
Speaker 1: But I forgot to mention my love of that sequence and the sound design of that on the live episode.
Speaker 3: But Derek, people can.
Speaker 1: Get in touch with us at yasny podcast at gmail dot com if you want to go on old fashion and send us an email, which we love receiving. But there's also a new exciting way you can get in touch, something called a speak pipe. What is his speak pipe?
Speaker 3: Derek, Yeah, Well, we've set.
Speaker 13: This thing up. It's quite simple. You just follow the link, which will be in the show notes or I think it's Speakpipe dot com forward slash yasn'ty, and you just jump on and leave a message. It's that simple. It's just like a fancy digital antering machine.
Speaker 2: It's online.
Speaker 13: Click the link, drop us a note.
Speaker 3: That easy.
Speaker 1: We've already had a couple, but let's say we were on new one. Somebody else has gone on to speak Pipe. Who's got on the speak pop this week?
Speaker 13: Vicky, Vicky cent us one. So are you ready?
Speaker 4: I am, Hey, Peyton Jerrek.
Speaker 15: I have to say my favorite episode was in Bruth. I hadn't seen the movie before I listen to that, and.
Speaker 3: I think I've watched it maybe over twenty times.
Speaker 4: I was hoping.
Speaker 15: Maybe you could find someone who hadn't watch Royal or Tenny Bombs.
Speaker 3: It's one of my.
Speaker 13: Favorite movies and I think.
Speaker 15: Thanks guys, love to podcast, keep it up.
Speaker 1: Thanks well, thank you, Vicky, And I got to say that is astonishing and espectal be very proud. Did Vicky to say that she hadn't seen in Bruce, which you did with Tom Ballard. It's one of my favorite episodes we've done as well. That she hadn't seen it before she listened to the podcast.
Speaker 13: Listen back to it, let me go.
Speaker 3: I want to be very straight on this.
Speaker 13: Let's go again.
Speaker 4: Hey, Pete and Jerk.
Speaker 15: I have to say my favorite episode was in bruth I hadn't seen the movie before to that, I think I've watched maybe times.
Speaker 1: I'm so nicky saying Nicky saying she had never listened watched in Bruges since well before the podcast, and there's watched it twenty times since.
Speaker 3: That's incredible. That makes me very proud.
Speaker 13: That's it.
Speaker 3: We've nailed it absolutely, and.
Speaker 1: It was it was I really loved that episode. That was one episode where I was very confident that Tom Ballard was going to really love In Bruges. I remember coming to the studio very excited. I do love that movie. It is absolutely one of my favorites. I think definitely a top ten movie for me. Also, the other thing that's blowing my mind Vicky. Literally this morning, I was thinking somebody needs to do Royal tannem Barms because I was thinking we haven't done a Wes Anderson film yet, and I'm a Wes Anderton fan, so I thought maybe Rushmore or Royal tannem Balms or Grand Budapest Hotel might be the ones you kind of focus on, even though maybe my favorite Wess Anderton film is The Life Aquatic with Steve's Zoo.
Speaker 3: But I think those that are.
Speaker 1: Three that it would be good starting areas, particularly Rushmore or the Grand sorry, the Royal Tanton Arms because they're the earlier work post Bottle Rocket. They are on the list. So what I do either when I have a conversation with the guests, it's usually is there a movie that you know you haven't seen? And they're very quick, you know, usually they're very quick. They have one and I'm either like, well let's do that, or we've already done that, can you choose another one? And then I send them a list if they can't quite think of one on the spot. But those movies are on the list and they would love to do Royal tannin Arms Vicky. So that is certainly hopefully it will happen at some point.
Speaker 13: It's got to find someone that hasn't seen it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely now next week on the show, very excited another Ossie legend. Following Judith Lucy, we can only follow up with another legend and This is not a legend of the comedy scene, but a legend of the music scene.
Speaker 3: The one, the only Ben Lee will be joining us.
Speaker 1: I've known been for many years and he's such a sweet guy, a funny guy, and obviously such a talented musician.
Speaker 3: He has a new song act called like This or Like That.
Speaker 1: It is a brilliant song following up from me He's born for this bullshit single from last year, Like This or Like That. Ben says it's about being a fan identity Beatles versus Stones, Navana versus Pearl Jam and Ben Lee versus powder Finger, which I.
Speaker 3: Love that he wrote that.
Speaker 1: So Ben Lee will be joining us next week. I was very excited when he chose this movie. Nervous and excited because Ben Lee nominated from the mid nineteen seventies, based on David Williamson's play directed by Bruce Beresford, starring Jack Thompson and Graham Kennedy and John Howard, not the ex Prime Minister, the actual actor.
Speaker 3: The Club.
Speaker 1: Yes, the movie based around the Collingwood Football Club. It's a movie that's dear to my heart. I've sent him many times, haven't watched it for years. I can only imagine there some problematic aging issues around it, but maybe not. Who knows what ben Lee will make of a footy film from the seventies. I can't wait to find out. That's next week, and you ain't seen nothing yet. Ben Lee watches the club until then. By for now, and
Speaker 11: So we leave old Pete save Van Salt, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.