Speaker 1: She's on the money. She's on the Money. Hello and welcome. She's on the Money. The podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Now, today we've decided to shake things up a little bit. It's Q and eight A and we'll be answering our community's most burning finance career and life topics. And boy oh boy are there talking about boy crack is to get to Well, maybe that'll come up. There actually is a question about partners at one point, So okay, I like, She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who.
Speaker 2: Just want advice, like, not financial freedom. We're now just working towards an advice style that.
Speaker 1: Could be and do it well. That could be a new pod girl we'll talk about in our lifestyle stunning. Now. My name is Georgia King. I'm a what am I a podcaster? General? No copyright? I don't even know who you are?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Maybe to go into pop culture that could be fun. Joining me as always is Victoria Divine V. Why are you so excited about today's Q and A episode is a bit different from us.
Speaker 2: I just think it's really fun, how fun to do a little Q and A. I feel like we should do more of these, I mean, depending on how this one goes, but being able to interact with the community is literally my favorite thing ever. So knowing that we just get to answer a whole bunch of community questions on an entire episode hopefully is going to be really relatable but also super fun for you guys to listen to as well, because we've both tried Georgia really hard to make sure that all the questions are kind of ones you probably were already thinking about, not necessarily just like left of field ones where people are giving their entire life story and you're like, that has nothing to do with me. So hopefully everyone can learn a little bit and you know, take away few hot tips that might help them financially.
Speaker 1: The questions are quite varied as well, which we love. And before we get into it, just a pig shout out to everyone who responded to my Q and a post in the group V you were impressed with the photoshop, Yeah, if I recall correctly, but no, we had such a great response and unfortunately not every question could be in here, otherwise we would be here until twenty twenty two. All Right, the enough chatter from us, Let's get into it. Our first question for today is from Christina, who has asked, how can you save for a house deposit and invest in shares at the same time. Is it better to take longer to save up and invest simultaneously or should you focus all of your energy on saving first Georgia poor Kenna lost us Ni.
Speaker 2: No, that's probably not the answer, and that's actually still my favorite ad like why not both? And the reason is because it's slowing down your goal and being able to achieve them. So, if you want to save for a house deposit, we all know that is one of the most overwhelming financial goals you can take on yourself, and to save up probably one hundred thousand dollars is going to take not only a significant sacrifice on your behalf, but a significant chunk of your time. And so when it comes to saving for a house deposit, when it comes to my clients, and when it comes to my friends and most people in our community, you often see people say, you know what, I'm not going to invest in shares while saving for a house deposit because that's going to slow down my goal of getting into the housing market, which I think is really reasonable and something we all need to consider. But the answer is actually based on your individual budget and your individual cash flow. For example, Georgie, if you said to me the I've got five hundred dollars a month that I can put into a house deposit, and I go, great, Gee, that's really exciting. You're going to be able to save and you know what time frame does that look like? You to achieve my goal, It's going to take ten years, and I go, Okay, fantastic, let's start working towards that.
Speaker 1: But investing in chairs, as.
Speaker 2: Much as I'm obviously very excited about it, is another asset that is going to take away your cash flow. And essentially, the more you're putting into the house opposite, the quicker you're going to be able to achieve that goal. So it's all about priorities. And I think that too many times people listen to Shees on the Money and listen to me and to you, George, and they go, oh my gosh, like, oh, I feel like I'm missing out because I'm not investing in chairs yet. You don't have to start today, you can start in the future. You can start at whatever time works for you. And as we always say, George, get out of personal debt before you start saving for a house deposit or start investing in chares, because investing in debt reduction is an investment in itself. But I don't genuinely believe that there is a straight answer to is it better to take longer to save up and invest simultaneously or focus all your energy on your savings first, because the answer isn't necessarily a financial one, but more a personal goals one. So if I said to you, Georgia, all right, well do you want to buy a house first or save for shares, you might go be all I want is a house. I want to get into the property market asap. And in which case I'd say, okay, well, your goals are more aligned to saving for a house to posit, maybe put the shares on the shelf for a little while, and once you've got your mortgage and you know what your cash flow looks like, at that point where we can start an investment portfolio. But if you go, oh, I'm saving for a house, but like, I'm really passionate about shares, and I don't mind if that goal of saving for a house takes me a little bit longer, then great, we can do both at once. But it's definitely down to what is going to suit you, what is going to suit your lifestyle, and why are we making these decisions? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Perfect, So, yeah, it just depends on your priorities, and you're welcome to do both at once if you like, but that may not serve you if you do have the priority of getting straight into the housing market.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, Like, for example, Georgia, I put purchasing shares on hold for a little while while Steve and I aggressively saved the rest of our house deposit because I was like, no, I just want every dollar that we have going into this house deposit so that we can get there sooner. And now that we have the mortgage, I'm now investing again. But again, everybody's cash flow and budget is going to be different.
Speaker 1: Love that, Okay, hopefully that helps you out there, Christina. Our next question V is from Julie. Now. She wants to know where she should focus as a woman in her forties who hasn't always made the best life choices, mostly when it comes to men.
Speaker 2: She says, I mean, i'd say relatable, but it's not relatable to me yet yet.
Speaker 1: So she's asking if she should focus on her super or outside investments. Her real concern is that she might be spreading her finances a little too thin and is wondering if it is better to focus on one area instead of multiple.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be a typical financial advisor and say, if you're in your forties and that's the situation you are in, speak to a financial advisor. I promise you it will be one of the best investments you make, because not only are they going to show you where to not spread yourself thin, they're actually going to be able to create a strategy that turbo charges your super or any of your other investments to make sure that you're achieving the financial freedom and the retirement that you want to. If you're in your forties, it's very likely you have maybe twenty twenty five years left of working, which is so much time.
Speaker 1: Like you have not.
Speaker 2: Left it too late. In fact, you have heaps of time to create this wealth and actually get ahead. So my advice would be go and see a financial advisor. But obviously that isn't the most constructive answer, especially for a podcast where we're trying to teach people financial freedom on their own. So I would then say, definitely weigh up what the difference is like with super it's an incredibly tax effective environment, but there are also caps on how much we can contribute each and every single year. And in a situation where you are saying you maybe haven't made the best financial choices historically, you're probably actually going to want to do a mix of both because if you are only focusing on, for example, superranuation and there's a cap there, that's not going to actually get you to your goal. So you're probably going to need to do a mix of both, which is actually really exciting because superanuation is something that is really easy to solve. You can go to the government website and compare all your different super funds and make a decision that is right for you. But then when it comes to outside investment, there are obviously plethoras of options that you could use. Like you could go for a platform like shares is where you get your individual shares. You could go and chat to our friends at six Park and you know, have it managed for you. You could go down the route of picking literally any different type of brokerage platform if shares are your type of investment. But again I don't know what your asset portfolio looks like or your goals look like all your time frame. So I think the most important thing here is if you feel like you haven't made the right financial choices thus far. There's no such thing as too late. And it's definitely about diversifying and getting some super stuff organized and also some other investments. But in the long term, we're actually looking at what we're trying to achieve for the future and then maybe working back from it.
Speaker 1: Perfect And if Julie does take you up on your advice fee of seeing a financial advisor, where should she go? Just quickly to find one?
Speaker 2: So there's the acid website where you can look up financial advisors. There is also a website where you can look up financial advisors in your area. Or if you have absolutely no idea, you can actually head to the She's on the Money website, so uniform and we'll match you with one of our friends who we know is a good financial advisor.
Speaker 1: Perfection, Hi bor, Right, So let's move on nowve to Rachelle. Hello, Rochelle, she wants to know how to sensitively approach and discuss your partner's bad financial habits.
Speaker 2: Oh, having that chat is a struggle for some of us. Actually, I would say it's a struggle for all of us, because no one likes having a chat that's.
Speaker 1: Awkward, Hey George, like, oh, no, thank you.
Speaker 2: Whenever anything awkward is going on, I bury my head in the sand and literally just ignore it, which is absolutely not the best way to go about things, which is probably why I shouldn't be giving the advice on this one, Georgia. But if you're going to do it, I would be organizing to have the chat and really focus not necessarily on their bad quote financial habits, but rather on what type of future you're building together, and highlight how important it is for you guys to be on the same team, not just mentally and you know, when it comes to goal setting, but also financially. And I also think to actually help you in this situation, it's a really good thing to reflect on your personal situation because as much as you might want to talk about your partner's quote bad financial habits, we're not all perfect. We all have things that maybe our partner gets a little bit frustrated by. So I think reflecting on how maybe we would want them to approach that conversation if they wanted to approach it with us, is really helpful. So not using accusatory language. I've talked about this before, being really gentle, instead of saying things like, oh my gosh, Georgia, you always spend all of the money. I can't believe you do that to like, hey, I just really feel like we don't have enough set goals that we're working towards together, Like I just don't feel like we are saving enough for X, Y and Z. And I think changing the conversation from talking about your current behavior to behavior we want to really start promoting is really important because no one wants to be told they're bad at something, but everyone can get on board with something when they find the motivation. So he said, do you, George, I really want to buy a house with you? I'm so excited to do that. You're going to go v I really want to do that too. I go, great, let's make a plan. How do you think that we could achieve that? Like, you know, how's your budget going? Do you think you could set aside a certain amount each week? I'm doing X, Y, Z and really showing that you're walking the walk, not just expecting one thing from them and doing another yourself. So always making sure that you're on the same page. Is not just about saying Georgia, you need to get on my page, but rather talking about maybe creating a new page together and both be excited about moving towards that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so have those joint goals. And the other thing I wanted to say Ve, as we do always say on the pod, is that if you're if you're just like I can't have this conversation, like it's too awkward, it's too embarrassing. Just blame it on Vickid. Yeah a podcast. Yeah, yep, she told me to do it. Sorry, Chol, I love you, Okay, So hopefully that helps you. Rachelle Now Rachel is the next one, which is fun similar. So Rachel wants to know about salary sacrificing v when you have a hex stet, So how does that work?
Speaker 2: And is there a risk that you'll be worse off for choosing to salary sacrifice if you do have a hex stet? Okay, So for anyone who maybe doesn't know what that means, we need to remember that our heck stets are repaid according to what we earn. So, for example, if you earn less than forty six thousand, six hundred and twenty dollars Georgia King, you don't have to start paying it off kind of money in but if you earn over that and under fifty three eight hundred and twenty six dollars George, then you'll need to pay one percent of your salary towards your debts. So, roughly speaking, the amount of HEX that you need to repay increases yzo point five percent with every increase of five grand or so to your salary. So you can find more information about that if you literally just google Hex calculator and you pop your salary in and it will tell you exactly how much you pay. But when it comes to salary sacrificing as well, for those of you who don't know, it's an option that is available in many workplaces where employees can actually opt for like a reduced taxable income that then gives you additional benefits. So it gives you benefits of like a phone or a car, or maybe you'll have a food and entertainment card, which I know a lot of people in health care have. And things can get quite confusing when you don't have a quote regular salary and you're taking some of your salary and other benefits, and a salary sacrifice allows you to do that. So basically, after defining both of those, if you have a hex stet and your salary sacrificing, it is very likely that you'll need to adjust your repayments and ensure that they actually line up with your annual taxable income and your total reportable fringe benefits amount, which you're actually able to just find on your pay slip very easily. And it's also really important to remember that you're going to need to inform payroll of your hextet, as they don't automatically just adjust repayments because they assume you've got it because some people have it, some people don't, some people are still paying it off, et cetera. And you don't make adjustments and your ends up meaning that you're only paying hex on your reduced income, because that could land you with a very nice tax bill come June, Thirsty or my birthday. Guys, So is there a risk of you being worse off? Yes, when it comes to getting a t ax bil. Nobody likes an unforeseen cost. But at the same time, it all will equal out. It's just going to be some good planning and making sure that is in place, But nine times out of ten, if your business offers salary sacrificing, they're going to have someone in payroll who's going to be able to organize that for you and make sure you are better off. So in this situation, George, we're not actually talking about like, oh my gosh, if you've got salary sacrifice, you need to contribute more to your hex. It's not about paying that debt off Quicker. It's actually about having the debt paid off in relation to your whole taxable income, because the tax man actually takes into account your salary sacrifices a part of your salary package, and otherwise you might find yourself in a pickle because it'll be calculated wrong, which we do not want to occur, Dorge, We don't want that. What if we say, you've got your your reduced income and then you've got all of your benefits which are they called free benefits, say from memory.
Speaker 1: So if that compiled actually equates to more than what you would be earning if you weren't salary sacrificing, does that impact your hexort a like would you have to pay more?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, at the end of the day, example here is say I have a sixty thousand dollar income and my work are like, okay, cool, you can salary sacrifice a cart to the amount of ten thousand dollars a year, and I go, great, no problems, I'll take that entire ten thousand dollars because round numbers and examples are shee. So then your income has technically dropped to fifty thousand dollars and your taxable income actually sits below that fifty three, eight hundred and twenty six. So you're going to end up in a situation where your take home money is taxed at a different rate than the money that you are salary sacrificing. But if I looked at your contract or the taxman looked at your contract about how much you're being remunerated, the total amount of remuneration you're receiving is to the value of sixty thousand dollars. So yes, tax would completely change because the ten thousand dollars. The reason we salary sacrifice is to get some more benefit out of our tax, which is really good. But HEX doesn't work in exactly the same way. So we need to make sure we don't shoot ourselves in the foot and end up with a nasty hex bill at tax time, which nobody wants, right.
Speaker 1: Okay, gosh, finance can be complex. Kind I love it. I know you do. My head's just spinning over here, but hopefully that helps you as well. Rachel. We are going to head to a very short break now, guys, but on the other side we will be answering plenty more of your questions, so please don't go anywhere. Alrighty b. We have returned, and our first question up is from Talula. She wants to know your thoughts on investing from overseas. So she is moving to New Zealand for the next five years or so.
Speaker 2: Cute country.
Speaker 1: I know, just cinder and the mountains. I don't know everything, honestly, jealous, never been one day, one day Okay, So yeah, she's moving there for the next five years. She's new to the investing game and she's wondering if it's smarter to start investing over there or to do it over here.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is a complex question. She's given me enough information to give I would say a very viable answer, which is very exciting. But if you're moving overseas indefinitely, the answer would be very different. So if you're like, oh my gosh, I'm in Australia for a while and I'm going to move back to Bangkok where I'm from, you know, long term, that's where I'm going to live, that's where I'm going to have kids, that's where I'm going to retire, Investing here might not make sense. And the reason it might not make sense is purely because of tax and the fact that you know, long term, I am an investor that has a buy and hold strategy. So I'm the type of investor who wants to invest for the long term to create financial freedom, and I don't want to create financial freedom in a currency that is going to have fluctuating currency exchange rates applied to it and be harder to access. So if you're moving over to New Zealand for five years and then you're going to come back to Australia, you absolutely can continue to invest in Australia using AUD. I mean you're more than welcome to start using a platform like chase EA's because Chaseea's was born in New Zealand, so I don't know, maybe you want to use it over there and feel all la legit New Zealand. But for me, if I was doing that, I think is the best way to answer this Georgia, I would continue to invest in Australia knowing that long term, I'm going to come home to my portfolio and there's no real mess going back and forward. So if you're actually in Australian and you're already using Australian based trading platforms, you're still allowed to use them while you're living overseas as long as you have a bank account here and you're still a resident of the country, which is kind of handy. You're going to pay capital gains tax as you usually would in Australia, so the tax doesn't change. You're just going to need to fill out a tax return form each year to make sure that you're meeting the compliance of that.
Speaker 1: Just on that vee. As someone who does plan on living in London at some stage of my life when y is this spicy cough eases up, what does tax look like like? Do I have to pay tax on a job if I'm working over there and on my shoes on the money where no? So how does that work?
Speaker 2: So you're going to pay tax on the income that is derived in that country. So if you're still deriving income from being an international podcaster, which I'm assuming is the plan, we can talk about this later, babe. But you'll pay tax in Australia because we'll pay you into an Australian bank account. But when you move to London, you're going to have to stand up a London bank account and you will have to adhere to their tax law and their tax rules based on the income you derive over there. Australia is not going to double your price.
Speaker 1: So okay, oh, it's nice of them.
Speaker 2: They're very kind to those tax people.
Speaker 1: Georgia, bless them. One more question, just selfishly superannuation? Then do you just I assume you don't get paid.
Speaker 2: No, they won't pupation, So Georgia. Moving overseas does complicate things, and this is something that if you are planning or moving overseas at any point, I do want you to consider. And that is because if you are not earning income like George, because you're a freelancer, you're going to move overseas and not have anybody paying you superannuation, which means you're going to have to consider whether you make your own repayments during that time so that in the future you're not behind. When you're in the UK, they have what's called a pension that is essentially their version of superannuation. If you move to the US they have something called a four H one K.
Speaker 1: If you move to New.
Speaker 2: Zealand, they've got key. We say that everybody is different based on their retirement planning, I guess for their populations, but it's really important to work out what that actually means for you and what your long term plan is, because again, if you're just going to move to London for a couple of years and not pay super, is that a smart idea or should you maybe even start now Georgia and bump up your superranuation before you make that decision so you're not paying for additional things while you're living in a really expensive city. So it depends on your situation and what's going on, but it's definitely something to consider because a lot of people that I actually work with have spent significant periods of time living overseas, and I mean it's very easy when you move to London to say I'm here for a year and then return ten years later and realize you've missed out on ten years of superranuation contributions, which means you have to do something pretty significant to make sure that you make that up so that you have a safe and comfortable retirement. So I think it's important to remember now so that you can either plan to pay it while you're over there, or maybe bump it up now so that you're paying superannuation in addition, so that when you do have a little bit of a break. This also works for maternity leave. You do have a little break, you can actually go no, I'm actually ahead of my peers anyway, or work out something different that works for you. But I don't want anyone to forget about their super while they are in a different country. Yeah, that is a good tip from me, because that's definitely not something that would come to mind first up, like I would have already. How did you for it? True said, I'm moving overseas. I'll be like, right, sit down, We've.
Speaker 1: Got a lot to go through.
Speaker 2: It's got a lot to go through. Take your mic.
Speaker 1: We are ready, all right, let's move on. V Sylvia wants to know your thoughts on peer to peer lending, which I don't think we've spoken about that on the podcast and if we have, I wasn't listening. So is it safe or is it just too risky? Is investing this way subject to any government guarantees? That's what she's asked. So, yeah, I have no idea what this is, so talk to me. So it's not guaranteed.
Speaker 2: Again, it's another type of investing, and I think it's an important one to tackle. It's not something I adore or but at the same time, I know a lot of our community do. And everybody picks different investment choices that are aligned to their values. So let's quickly talk about what P to P lending is. It's essentially lending that allows a person who needs a personal or a business loan to borrow money from an investor instead of going to some lender lack a bank. George. So maybe you go, hey, the I need to start.
Speaker 1: Up a business.
Speaker 2: I need five grand. I'm like, oh, I've got five grand in my savings. Hey, if you give me that five grand back in a certain period of time with an additional five percent, can we call that even? You go, yeah, that's much better. I much prefer that. And essentially the borrower takes out a loan and then repays it with interest over time, similar to any other investment, but you don't own anything. You essentially are not buying something. You're just lending money out like a bank would, getting some interest. Then you'll get your money back and maybe you'll set up another.
Speaker 1: Loan in the future.
Speaker 2: It's not actually like Victoria and Georgia lending five grand to each other setting up a deal. It's usually run through online platforms that exist to do this, and it's really important to ensure that the online platform that you choose is legitimate, which you can do by checking whether they're registered with ACIC or not at the Asset Connects Professional Register website, which will obviously link in the show notes. So there are benefits as investors because it just sounds fun and I know that a lot of people want to invest in things that they're genuinely interested in. Interest rates can actually be higher than other types of investing, which people see is quite sexy, and it's run through an online platform which makes it relatively easy to access and to actually manage. But the cons as an investor is, yes, it can be quite risky because if the loans are unsecured, that means there's a higher chance that you could lose your money, and you also may get a lower return than expected if your borrower can't actually repay that loan, So you're actually basing your investment choices on whether the borrow is actually going to repay it or not. And I think we need to remember that, you know, as much as everybody borrows money with good intentions, if you're lending to help small business I don't mean to sound negative, but lots of small businesses don't actually succeed, and people do borrow money for that, and it can actually be fickle to recover, and there aren't actually any types of government protections available either, So if you lose your money because of fraud or an error made by their platform, then it's very likely that you're not going to be compensated, which is not a good thing. I'm not the biggest fan of peer to P lending when it comes to talking about it on a podcast and advocating for it as a really great option to invest in to create future financial freedom, But it would be silly of me to say I'm not interested in it as a person who's interested in investing, So there are lots of platforms that I follow quite closely because I'm like, oh, that's so interesting, and like there's lots of like micropeer to peer investing platforms and lending going on, and there's bigger platforms that do exactly the same thing. But at the end of the day, I just don't think it's for me. As I've said a million times on the podcast, I'm a buy and hold, long term strategy kind of goal and this is not leaning towards that. But again, it's not the worst thing. If you're going to engage with this, just make sure it's legitimate and it's aligned to your goals. And it's also really important. Again, all I talk about is investing in risk. But it's interesting because a lot of people go, oh, I'm not risk averse, but it just feels safer because they like the idea of lending to small business. We really need to go back to our risk profiles and go yes, But is it actually more risky or not? Because more often than not, just because it's being talked about a lot, or it's really trendy, it might make you feel a little bit more secure, but in the grand scheme of things, it's actually worse when it comes to risk that you're taking on is it common. I have never heard of it. It's pretty common. It is relatively common. There are a lot of big brands that do it. I'm not going to name drop them now because I don't want to be advocating them, but yeah, it is a relatively common way to invest. I wouldn't say it's a way to invest. You know, it's not as easy to find out about as the ASEX would be or property, but it is increasing in awareness and it is increasing in popularity.
Speaker 1: There you go, I'm learning along with the listeners. Okay, next question is from Kylie. She wants to know how you can start to save when every cent from your pay is taken up, so she wants to know how to break the cycle. And she's also mentioned that she has no credit cards, just a mortgage, a car loan, and some bills.
Speaker 2: Okay, so first things first, Kylie, my friend, do not be hard on yourself. If you are just living paycheck to paycheck and you can't save, that is not the worst thing in the world. I am so grateful that you're in a position where you have a mortgage, you have a car loan, you have food on the table, and we I think underestimate how special that is.
Speaker 1: So often I think.
Speaker 2: We really do need to remember that saving is such a privilege, Like how lucky are we Georgia to live in a country where we have enough money to not only put food on the table, but to put some away, like we get to save it, like we don't need every single dollar that comes in. So I think it's a really good question. But I also want to normalize being in a situation where every single cent from every single pay is taken up. Like it's okay if that is you. It's okay if you've gotten yourself to that situation. But if you're in a situation where you're like, no, be like, I know that's the case, but I'd really like to start saving. I want to break this cycle. There are a few things that you can do. So first things first is budget and cash flow. Can you create a solid budget to make sure that absolutely everything in your budget and cash flow is of value to you. You're getting the best deals on your energy, You're getting the best deals on food and water and everything else that you are paying for. When you said you had a mortgage, have you got the best interest rate when it comes to the car loan that you have are you actually paying it off over time? Is there a balloon associated with it? What kind of rate have you got? Should you be considering refinancing that car? But once we've worked out ways we can save money from our budget and cash flow, the next is actually supplementing our income, so we can do one of two things to make more money. We can find ways to save, which is really helpful and usually the easiest, quickest win. The second is to find a secondary source of income. So you could either ask for a raise at work, take on more hours, or you can find a little side hustle. And we did a side hustle episode recently Georgia that was like not a side hustle episode. It was literally like how to make money without having a side hustle, which I thought was really helpful.
Speaker 1: Via the apps. Yeah, yeah, via.
Speaker 2: Apps, literally from your couch or as we said on the pod, George, other people's couches.
Speaker 1: Love that catchy.
Speaker 2: But you could absolutely check out getting a side hustle and getting a supplementary income, because if you're saying that every single from your current income is being taken up, a side hustle is going to mean that every single cent you earned there can be savings, which is really really exciting. So I don't mean to be that guy that's like set up a budget and understand your cash flow, but at the end of the day, that is going to be the tool that actually helps you achieve your goals and make sure that when you do have an increase in income, you're making the most of it.
Speaker 1: Thoughts be on like setting up a little micro investing account or something like that and having say thirty dollars or something that's not too significant pulled out of your income each week and just having that set aside to like build up and become this little, this little savings account without you really realizing it's genius.
Speaker 2: I think it's really great, And our friends at up bank actually have a round up feature which means you could do that in a savings account without having to have it micro invested, depending on your goals, depending on what's going on, but I think it's really important as well. Some people don't have the flexibility to just slowly pay, you know, thirty dollars. Like automating things is obviously going to make it really easy and make sure that it actually happens each and every single week. Because I know of all people that if I said you've got to save thirty bucks a week about yep, easy done, I'll do it. Am I actually going to transfer it every week?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. I'll probably like transfer it one week, forget for four. I have to transfer four weeks worth over It'll become a mess. So for me, automated banking is the way of the future Georgia. Yeah, and it helps me so much. But at the same time, if someone is saying, look, every single cent of my pay is taken up, sometimes they don't just mean oh yeah, like I just spend it all. Sometimes it's pre allocated in their budget and they actually just don't have anything to spare. But yeah, it's a really good idea to use features like the upbank feature of rounding up like or micro investing, because it all ticks away. Like on our Friday episodes, we sometimes ask Ryan where his aunt with his He's been investing on spaceship. He's been doing his five dollars a day to supplement his income, and that is building up. He has close to two thousand dollars in there now. Yeah, and even a day and he hasn't noticed it. So that's really lucky. But if you're not in that particular position, I think not being too hard on ourselves is really important. But then also just like what can we do instead of going, oh, I just don't know what to do, I'm telling you right now, check your budget, what are you spending. Have you actually made sure that you're getting the best deals on your utilities, your phone, have you done your refinances?
Speaker 1: What's going on.
Speaker 2: With all of that, And then we can talk about ways to increase your income.
Speaker 1: Brilliant? All right, Moving on to Jess, who wants to know if investing is a long term thing, then why is it okay to micro invest one thousand dollars or five thousand dollars and then pull it out for a new purpose, be that investing in a larger platform or putting it in savings. What are your thoughts on that question?
Speaker 2: Yes, So when you say why is it okay to micro investor thousand dollars or five thousand dollars? From my perspective, I mean you could use microinvesting platforms forever if you really wanted to, but they don't give you the option of taking the dividends out in the same way that a bigger platform would to create the income stream that you want to in the long term. They have all their dividends immediately reinvested because that's the way the apps work. So from my perspective, and I mean, micro investing apps are probably not going to like me saying this because I'm telling people to leave their platforms, probably a way I've never been sponsored by them, but that is okay. I genuinely see microinvesting apps as really beautiful education tools.
Speaker 1: I see it.
Speaker 2: As us dipping our feet in the market and being able to invest without having to put one thousand dollars or five thousand dollars on the line, because that is so much money. Whereas if I say to you Georgia, hey, I know that investing can seem really overwhelming, but microinvesting, maybe you try with your first five dollars, maybe you try with one cent on the Chasis platform. These amounts of money aren't going to ruin your life if you quote lost them. And I think that that's a lot of the apprehension that people have when it comes to investing. So I love micro investing because it gets you into the market. You get the app, you get to see what's going on in the market platforms like Spaceship don't even have any fees until you get to the five thousand dollar mark and you're able to invest money, see what the market's doing, follow the trends, see what they're investing in, and get really comfortable with the process. Once you get to that thousand or five thousand dollars amount, that's where you maybe want to take up a bigger platform. Maybe you've got your first five grand, you're like, oh, really want something where I have a bit more control, it's a little bit more monitored. I want to go to a more quote legit platform for investors, and that's where you might go, all right, it's finally time. I'm going to go join six Park and Victoria platform, and that is where you would then stay for the long term. Whereas you know, being fully transparent, you can't invest on the six Park platform with five dollars, it's not possible. You need a minimum of two thousand dollars to get good diversification up front. And even when you're at the two thousand dollars, which I think is brilliant, you do have less share selection and less etf options than you do when you have five thousand dollars. So it's important to remember the reason why you're investing, yes, investing for the long term is that if you were saying, oh, I use my micro investing platform to save one thousand dollars, then I pull it out and spend it. I think that is probably not the point of it. But if we're pulling that thousand dollars out because it's just been ticking away in the back, we've been doing some roundups, it's been incidental, we've been learning, then going and putting it on a bigger platform that is for the long term. It's a really good idea in saying that if your micro investor platform is not performing, I would absolutely be waiting until it bounces back so that you don't end up cashing out for a loss. So yes, I think it's one of those things where, yeah, it's okay to move platforms, but it's really important to remember that timing is everything when selling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Yeah, that's a really interesting question from Jess. I think because we can kind of confuse investing the messaging.
Speaker 2: That we Yeah, it's a really bad question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because you would think, oh, well, micro investing, how is that different? Like long term is the goal, but that's not necessarily the case with micro investing.
Speaker 2: So that's it's just how I see it and can see how the platforms work. And for the long term, yes, maybe you get to your goal amount in your portfolio, but you don't have the flexibility of taking certain income streams and working out what's going on with it. And I think it's it's a really easy way to start your investment journey, but for me, it wouldn't be the long term. And I guess that's why it's called micro investing. And it's not just small amounts, but it's like the start point, which I really like. And as I said, I love the platforms. I just think that there is a right platform for a right time, and not every single platform works for every single person. Like that's why there are so many. That's why she is on the Money talks about so many different ones, because you might adore shares Ese or you might adore something else, and like, that's okay. My goal is actually not one platform.
Speaker 1: It's to just get you invested.
Speaker 2: But if we're talking about a particular platform on a podcast, you know that they've been vetted by us. You know that we like what they've got to offer and the team are really good and they're legit, so I guess it just goes to show that there are lots of different options on the market and it's actually up to you to choose.
Speaker 1: Hundi p. I think we also did a whole episode on micro investing. Yes we did, my friend, I can't remember that far back, but that will be really helpful for you as well, Jess. Okay, let's move on be to our final question. This is no fun, okay, so esther she is keen to know some tips for people living in regional and remote Australia when it comes to finance.
Speaker 2: This is such a good one Georgia, and we actually have so many people in our community who are remote. And that's the thing I love about podcasts. You could be anywhere listening to our podcast. You don't have to be in the city, you don't have to be in Melbourne. You could be literally standing in the middle of Australia looking at bu Laru getting financial advice in your ears.
Speaker 1: Which I adore. And the thing.
Speaker 2: About living remotely is lots of our listeners might not even realize how expensive it can actually be to live in more regional spots in Australia. So I guess it's worth explaining a little bit about why that is, because I first thought you might go, yeah, but probably so cheap out there, and it's like, yeah, but do you know how much food is out there? And the first kind of quote opportunity cost Georgia is that people who live regionally might not have the option to work in high paying roles that larger corporations offer. For example, if you're living in Melbourne, CBD and you don't like your role, you can go work at another place Georgia. If you were potentially working for a bank you don't like that, you're probably able to go work in a different bank branch in the city because there are so many that are accessible. But if you live remotely, there might just be one bank branch, and if you're a bank teller, there's actually no other options without leaving your town, which really limits choice and actually really limits opportunity. And there's also the barrier of being able to afford access to affordable groceries like I know, Georgia, you and I love Audi, but that's not actually accessible to everybody in our community because often AUDI isn't actually available to you. So we say go shop at Audi. It's really cost effective, but a lot of our community are going to go they like AUDI, that's in another state. We can't even get to it, and even some larger supermarkets aren't that accessible for some of our community. Plus, produce in small supermarkets can be so much more expensive because of how far it's had to travel to actually be for sale on the shelf in that shop. So there are also multiple other factors and it's actually something that we are looking into doing a whole episode on, including conversations with our friends and family who live regionally, so watch this space. But in terms of financial tips, Georgia make the most of smaller, tight knit communities and set up a side hustle. Fewer people ge makes it easier to network. So if you're looking to make some extra casholer talk to people about any services they need that you might be able to help with. Babysitting, dog walking, lawn mowing. You can do it all, my friend.
Speaker 1: How do you mow a law in other news, have you ever done it? Go, let's move on.
Speaker 2: I mean I know the process. I know that my dad puts petrol in his law mower, and you can buy non petrol law mowers nowadays, but my dad says they're not legit, so I don't really know at this point in life. My partner who has a fascination with lawns can actually keep that, and if anybody else's partners is obsessed with lawns, as my partner, we should probably start up. But helpfully Georgia, if buying property is something you want to do, it's actually significantly more affordable to do so in a regional town, which is a nice benefit. But it can also be harder to shop more frugally in small towns too, because as I said before, they might not have huge supermarkets or audis. But think about every other item that you need to purchase, like shoes and clothes and hair accessories and literally make up. Everything needs to either come from online or you need to travel a significant distance. I et petrol, money and time to go and get those things. So I think it's more about accessibility. So I think when it comes to living remotely, just being savvy about your shopping. What can you order online? Can you do that remotely? Are the things that you could do in your community or online that could increase your income? So as much as I don't have a whole heap of hot tips. I hope that is helped and keep your ears peeled, because we do have an episode coming in that space.
Speaker 1: Honey, pe once again, I'd be really curious to hear from our friends who do live regionally and remotely. To hear firstly their struggles as we've tried to list that's what we've gathered, but there's actually not that much information out there at this stage. But also to hear their financial tips and how they manage their money when they don't have easy access to everything as we city folk do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Gee, straight under the bus for you today. You're going to post in the Facebook group and we're going to have a thread discussing exactly.
Speaker 1: That stunning love it. I'll accompany it with a little bit of a photoshop job. I right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think that'll be good. Could you photoshop us regionally?
Speaker 1: That would be really nice? Yeah, thank you, yes, done? All right, Thank you again to everyone who's sent in the questions. You're all bloody legends. And yeah, as we said as well, if you did enjoy the episode, let us know and we will look at doing a little second EP, maybe a third.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you like Q and AS. I've had fun answering these, and I think, gee, you had fun listening to them.
Speaker 1: I'd go with that. I was also surprised no one asked how Victoria does her hair. I thought that would come up like fifty today.
Speaker 2: I have it in a ponytail, so very simply. My friends, all right, they let's leave it there. Yeah, look, I think that is all we have time for today. So just before we head off, we'd like to acknowledge and pay respect to Australia's Aboriginal and tourist rate islander people's. They're the traditional custodians of the lands, the waterways and the skies all across Australia. We thank you for sharing and for caring for the land on which we are able to learn. We pay our respects to elders past and present, and we share our friendship and our kindness.
Speaker 1: And remember, as always, guys, that the advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or a financial decision. And we promise. Victoria Devine is an authorized representative of Australia Pacific Funds Management Proprietary Limited ABN three four one three two four six three two five seven AFSL three three nine one five one nurse see you next week.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: Bye guys, Bay Games.
Speaker 3: That was weird from two uh tony leave that in no