Speaker 1: Carl Brager know you're listening to the Christian O Carl's Show podcast. I asked Jack yesterday. Obviously very hard sometimes sort of describing what the eighties was like to someone who's under thirty five. It was a very strange decade when you look back on it, But when we were living in it and more excitingly growing up in it, it was really exciting. It was amazing. It was a changing world. And one of the big movies of the eighties was The Karate Kid. And we're doing the letters Jay and Kay in our eighties out of the eighties today. I love The Karate Kid came out in nineteen eighty four, Patsy, Did you go and see this at all? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I loved it, loved it.
Speaker 1: Did your brothers all practice the crane kick on each other?
Speaker 2: Wax on, wax off?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's get into it. What did you make of nineteen eighty four's The Karate Kid?
Speaker 3: Jack, There's a lot to like about The Karate Kid. Yeah, there's a lot to like about The Karate Kid. Love Larusso's relationship with Miagi.
Speaker 1: That was a mentor that was great. You know, we got nominated for Oscar Pat Moriarty was he actually played mister Miyaki got nominated for an Oscar for that role.
Speaker 3: Oh really, because actually one of my points against Karate Kid was Miagi wasn't a great fighter. Him jumping the fence to save Laruso and apparently kicking butt against all the bad guys. He was so slow. He was such a bad fighter.
Speaker 1: What he was he was effective a fight comm ended with one telling blow. It was the worst movement from a karatea. Okay, he's an old dude as well, he's a janitor. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was so unconvincing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, it's a yoga character. This is mental.
Speaker 3: But even Yoda, I guess could use the force and make things.
Speaker 1: Like because he was a little green little fellow, you know, he's not roundhousing people.
Speaker 3: For the most part, I did like Miyagi though, love Miyagi, loved Laruso. My problem with the film way way, way too long. And I find this with a lot of eighties films that you have me go back and watch. They did not know how to edit.
Speaker 1: Editors didn't come along to the late nineties. You go back and watch an eighties moving now and find this a lot when I go to my kids, it's like, let's go back and watch it, and even I'm going, but every scene goes on too long.
Speaker 3: The first scene is four minutes. The opening titles is four minutes of them.
Speaker 1: How I reach you sound like you watch too much TikTok. You can't concentrate for four minutes. If you just said like twenty two minutes, four minutes isn't that long.
Speaker 3: It's four minutes of them driving from New Jersey to California. That's all shots of them along the.
Speaker 1: Road we think is happening.
Speaker 3: Come on, So I had to fast forward already in the first four minutes.
Speaker 1: And do you know what they should do? They should do a millennial cuts of eighties because there's lots of good stuff in the good stuff, but you're right, it's padded out with a lot of just nonsense.
Speaker 3: Full runtime, guess the full run time.
Speaker 1: I'd say probably something like one fifty.
Speaker 3: Two hours, seven minutes.
Speaker 1: Oh that's all right, that no, that's agree on this though you cannot. You cannot edit down the All Valley Karate Tournament. O.
Speaker 3: My number one place to edit was the tournament.
Speaker 1: The show.
Speaker 3: We know he's going to fight.
Speaker 1: One of those chilling lines in a movie.
Speaker 3: I agree. Great scene when we finally got there him Verus Johnny Lawrence was great. We knew he was going to fight him.
Speaker 1: What about this tournament? Oh my god, just hearing that makes me I'm the cinema going no.
Speaker 3: No, I'm sweet te lict.
Speaker 1: I got a problem with the problem with that.
Speaker 3: Wait, I agree with you, Normous. The fight between LaRusso and Lawrence is great. Why did we have to see the whole tournament, the qualifying rounds, the semi final four play just say, just make up a bit of dialogue that says he got into the final. We didn't need to see.
Speaker 1: Every every cranking up is cranking up the tension, tension, tension. No, he's going to fight at the Yeah, of course.
Speaker 3: We know it.
Speaker 1: But it's not just about the destination. What a journey.
Speaker 3: It had a lot of potential. Karate kid just needed to be a little more succinct and keep everybody in cage.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this. Did you like Daniel LaRussa. I couldn't stand him. I hated him. Actually generally hoped that he got beaten in the final.
Speaker 3: I thought his jokes were lame, a whining little key but I liked him.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, I couldn't stand him. I wanted Lawrence. I want him to be beaten Mercisley at the end.
Speaker 3: This is the last thing I realized watching Karate Kid. I know you did Karate as a junior, Yes, idiot. I always thought Christian like knows so much about Karate's always telling me like, tay means hand and kara means empty and it's the way of the empty hand. Everything you've ever told me about Karate has lifted direct line from line about the film.
Speaker 1: It was an impressional more movie on me. I just paid attention to the age of eleven to the Karate Kid. So Mark's out of ten.
Speaker 3: If it had been edited swiftly nine out of ten. But sadly it's a four out of ten.
Speaker 1: Woul you know it was too boring.
Speaker 3: I kept getting up and doing other things and then coming.
Speaker 1: Back to watch it, so you would have missed key scenes.
Speaker 3: I could hear him in the background while I did the dishes and that sort of thing my phone.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you just Chris like Cobra Kai loves It got me into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good show, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I love Johnny, the guy that plays Joey Lawrence. Johnny, my wife got a crush on him. Yeah, he still Isn't it very attractive?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: I would try I probably would try Cobra Kai because it's recent, you'd like it, and they've learned how to edit and make things compelling.
Speaker 1: Viewing for each episode is seventeen seconds long. The Christian O'Connell Show podcast