Speaker 1: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. We are on the cusp of a mammoth intergenerational wealth transfer, with boomers expected to leave behind two hundred and twenty four billion dollars each year in inheritances by twenty fifty. To make sure we're all as prepared as possible, today we'll be diving deep into exactly how inheritances work. We'll be talking through tips for managing large sums of money, and we'll be getting to the bottom of why things so often get sticky in this space, particularly when it comes to our loved ones and money. Is Georgia King, and joining me as always is financial advisor Victoria Devine. You deal with this topic and advise people on how to manage their inheritances often, so I'm keen to pick your brain. But before we get there, I know you wanted to start today's pod with a couple of words.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, yes, I absolutely did. I feel like this topic can go one of two ways. One way, you're like, oh my gosh, that's the biggest sum of money you've never had any experience within inheritance, which if that's the case, you're very lucky to have not gone through that circumstance. I know that a lot of people will also see it as very privileged, which absolutely is, Like it's a very privileged thing to find yourself in a position where you're inheriting a whole heap of money. But the one thing that I want to I guess acknowledge, especially as a financial advisor who specializes in this space, I deal with lots of young people I guess you would say millennials, George, who get inheritances like that is my specialty as a financial advisor is dealing with large sums of money and investing it so that we can create more intergenerational wealth. But the one thing I think we really need to acknowledge here is that it's devastating. It's really hard. It is so hard to get an inheritance, and if you are in a situation where you're getting an inheritance, it definitely means that you've lost someone close to you, and that person means a lot, and it is it's really upsetting, and I think that a lot of people who haven't been in that situation will be like, oh my god, it's so lucky that you got x YZ. But what you don't know is that that person would trade all of that money or all of the things that they've inherited to get that loved one back in a heartbeat. Like that is exactly what everybody would want, But it's also a space where people feel a lot of guilt. George, Yeah, people feel a lot of guilt. And a lot of what I do around inheritances is not necessarily just the investing like that part, George is really easy, but it's about honoring the person that has passed away and make it sure that you're putting that money to work so that it is working as hard as your loved one did for it. And I just feel like when we talk about inheritances, a lot of people are like, oh my god, so privileged. Yep, got that completely understand, absolutely privileged. Let's put that to the side. But the next big thing when it comes to inheritance is really acknowledging that level of guilt and acknowledging that do you know what, I don't wish an inheritance on anybody, Like if you've got an inheritance because your mom passed away. I want my mom. I don't want my inheritance. I want that And do you know what, it's a very lucky position to be in. I totally, but do you know what, it is a very interesting position to find yourself in. But the important thing about in inheritance is honoring the person that gave you that inheritance, because they're giving it to you because they can't be there anymore. So it's to them, I guess the next best thing to being with you. And from my perspective as an advisor, we need to acknowledge that first. Like George, if something happened and you found your self in a position where you're getting an inheritance, it's not wow, ge how much was it? It's wow, g how do you feel? Yeah, you're okay? Like there's often a lot of semantics that sit around in inheritance, Like it might be very clean cut, like you knew what was coming, someone had been very sick for a very long time, or had been very old and had this really great life and had a really good innings and you've got no problems about it. But you know, there's a lot of money there. But then on the flip side, there are situations where one day you might get a call and dad that you haven't spoken to in fifteen years has passed away, and their lawyer's calling you to tell you that you're the next of kin and you're inheriting their money. And that can be a really fickle position to find yourself in because you're like, wow, like I didn't talk to him, I didn't have anything to do with him. Why am I getting all of his inheritance or why am I getting his life insurance or whatever it is. But I think it's really important to work through that first. And for a lot of people, I feel like they think an advisor is a really good place to start. I mean, I'm going to be a bit biased, George, my background's in psychology, I reckon I'm a pretty good place to start. Yeah, definitely, But I genuinely think that sometimes just putting that money to the side for a few months while you get your mental health sorted and you talk to a therapist about what you want to do is going to mean that you make better investment decisions in the long term. It's definitely not about just quick seeing advisor get investing. Really quickly, like you're not making it work. Like if the worst thing you do is put that money to the side and don't make any decisions on it for twelve months, that's a really good idea. But let's get into the show, because I feel like I could go on about this forever and ever, because as you know, Gee, this is I guess what would you call it, like a sweet spot. Yeah, it's just sweet spot.
Speaker 2: It's pure Elli, it's your wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: So I could talk about it literally all David, let's get into the show. I know you've got a whole heap of juicy questions for me, but I did want to just preface it with that because inheritances, I think can be often seen as very transactional, when from my perspective and my experience they are from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly right, So thank you for clarifying that. I think it is super important. In terms of today's show, I've kind of structured it so that the first half will be us talking through how they work, what things we need to be mindful of, and then we're going to go into actually how we go about managing that money effectively, as well as like properties stuff like that. So we kick us off with exactly how inheritances work?
Speaker 1: All right, ge, So when we pass away, So say we passed away yesterday, all of our things are left to our loved ones, which, if we're super organized, we've spoken to someone like Lucy Percy, our state planning lawyer friend, and she's helped you to clearly outline a will and you have a detailed to date plan. So there's a whole heap of clarity when it comes to where your assets are going. Just just side note g Because someone mentioned this to me the other day. They're like, why did you say if we passed away yesterday. That's a weird thing to say. I was like, yeah, it is. I wouldn't want to like say, gee, if you passed away tomorrow, Like yeah, that just feels like, well, what if that happened? Like it just feels like that's very futuristic, like whereas you didn't pass away yesterday. So it's a very easy hypothetical. Yeah, there's it's like a hypothetical. There's no like wishful thinking in it by any stretch of the imagination. And I feel like when we're talking about people passing away, which unfortunately, as an advisor I talk about all the time. My examples are often past tense instead of future tents, and really that's a bit more of a respectful way to have a conversation about that. I know that that's a really weird side note, but no, that's interesting, is that Actually? Yeah, I will.
Speaker 2: I mean, you use that with your clients, So it's it's interesting for us as listeners to kind of get some insight into that, because it doesn't make sense if you were like, gee, if you died tomorrow, that's extremely negative and you know, quite shocking and scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, I don't ever want that to be like wishful thing. I wonder if other advisors do that. If you are an advisor and you do that, please to hear me and let me know, because I don't like it's not it's not in our training or anything. It's just something that I've picked up on over time because I just feel more comfortable saying it that way. I don't know, but I just wanted to preface it because I noticed I said it. Then anyway, good next one. Gee, if we don't have a will, which we've spoken about before. We did an estate planning episode recently and we obviously know how important it is to have a will, and if you don't know, or you haven't listened to that episode, please do. It is a really important episode. We also did want a little while ago Gee with Lucy Percy, who's an estate planning lawyer, and she is brilliant, like she she actually works with my clients, like she's not just a random estate planning lawyer that I know. She quite literally does most of my client's estate plans, and she is a wizard. But if we pass away and we don't have a will, all of our assets, if we have a spouse, will be past to our spouse, and then if there's no spouse, it will go to our children. And if you don't have a children, it'll go on from there to any living relatives left. But if you die without a will, we're is called dying intestate, which I think is really interesting because you often hear these terms thrown around and you're like, what is interesting. It means you die and you don't have a will, but the state absorbs your assets and then they look for the next of kin, and if they don't, all goes to the government, which is a very fun thing to think about. Because I don't think many people are like, well, what happens if you can't find someone to give my stuff to? However, inheritances do come in many different shapes and sizes. Just because you hear the word inheritance doesn't mean someone has gotten a million dollars in hot hot cash. It could be a property, it could be interest on super You might inherit someone's cash or cuz or some sentimental possessions, or maybe g some things that you don't want, those heaps of things that you can inherit. And IG have been very lucky historically to inherit some really special things from my grandparents. I have like some salad tongs that my grandma used that are silver, and I have a whole heap of like trinkets and jewelry and stuff that are really really special to me. So it's really important to also understand that an inheritance might not just be cash, because in my case, I didn't inherit cash or anything like that from grandparents because obviously that would have been divided up among the siblings or their kids. Yeah, direct children, so my parents, etc. But I ended up with some really special possessions. So if someone passes away. There are lots and lots of things to be divided up and organized, and you know, prioritized. It doesn't just mean that, Okay, George, you're going to end up with some cash. It could be an asset. It could be something really small but really sentimental. And to me, those things are some of my most important things. Like if my house was burning down, Jay, those are the things I would grab first. Yeah, after I'd grab my pets, pets, the solid tongues I love it pets and the salad tongues.
Speaker 2: Can you also inherit shares?
Speaker 1: You can inherit shares, And that's one thing that you need to be quite careful of because when it comes to shares and also property, you need to know the semantics of what's selling that asset means. And I've come into a few people before who are like, oh my gosh, I inherited the share portfolio. V need your help. Can we sit down and have a meeting. And I'm like, yeah, no problems, g sit down, let's have a chat. And they're like, I just want to sell it, not interested in shares at all. I'm like, Okay, no problems, let's calculate what that means in terms of tax implications. And you need to understand this because a lot of the time, if you're inheriting shares, they could have been owned for forty fifty plus years, which can you think of a compound interest on those shares over time? G very sexy, But when compound interest is involved and those things are increasing in value, you're very likely to have to pay capital gains tax, and we want to avoid that if possible, because often you might find yourself in a position where you're like, all right, so, g I don't really want to own shares, like this isn't what I want. It's not aligned to my values. But on the flip side, if I sell it, I'm up for a pretty hefty tax bill and I don't particularly want that. We're not just looking at what you want when it comes to an inheritance, also looking at what is in your best interest financially as well, because gee, if you have to give away half of the wealth to tax, do you want to get rid of it? Do you really want to do that or do we want to make a plan that makes the most of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, and other age limits when it comes to inheritances, as well, in terms of cash and shares and properties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are. So if you're a kid and you're under the age of eighteen, you're very unlikely to be allowed to access any of the inherited wealth, Like you're not going to be allowed to manage a property if you're twelve. But when they turn eighteen, g then all of that changes and you're treated as an adult. Except Gee, if someone who's put in the will that they don't want you to access that until a certain age, So they might say, all right, young adults, pretty crazy. I want them to inherit my property, or I want them to inherit this cash, but I don't want them to be able to access it until they're twenty five or till they're thirty. And that's actually quite common, especially when people have larger amounts of wealth that they know are going to go to younger kids. Gee. There's also clauses that some people put into wills, like, all right, it'll go to my son, I don't want him to access it until he's twenty five. But when he turns twenty five, if he doesn't have any addiction issues and he's all well and good, it can go to him. But if he is suffering from addiction issues, I don't want him to have access to a large amount of money. And the executor of the will is going to help organize all of this. But there are so many things and so much power that you have if you're writing a will, and I just don't think people understand. Like a lot of people just go, oh, inheritance, no problems. But I've got a couple of clients who I managed portfolios for and they're not allowed to access their portfolios yet because they're outlined that they can't have them until they're thirty. Really, a person who wrote the will wanted to make sure that they had established their own income streams and had a career and or started a career before they actually came into some significant wealth, which from their perspective is absolutely their wishes. And we are honoring.
Speaker 2: Those, yeah, one hundred percent. And with an executor, you just outline them in the will.
Speaker 1: Is that correct? Yeah, So you'll outline them in the will and they will know. And it could be someone that you know, or it could be someone like a financial advisor. So g For example, I've got a couple of clients where they've got a boyfriend, but they're not that close with the boyfriend yet, like it's a pretty fresh relationship, and both of their parents aren't around anymore, and they just didn't have someone to be the executor. And I'm actually the executor of rail, so you can nominate someone who is a professional executor. But in that circumstance, we'd also build into the will some fees and stuff like that. So when I'm working on that, then I will get paid from the state, which is from my perspective again, quite interesting. And I don't think that a lot of people consider that. They're like, oh, wow, I could just have my financial advisor do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean financial advisors would presumably make very good decisions with the finances, So smart thing to do there. But we've touched on this in the past, but let's go over it again. If someone you love, say your mum, for example, they sadly passed away yesterday and they left all of their wealth, all of their millions to the Lost Dogs Home, happens. Yeah, so can you dispute that if you think perhaps you deserve that's.
Speaker 1: A money yes, and no, g there are a couple of things around that, and it depends on how I guess comprehensive they will in a state planning, you know, process was and if they've gone and seen a Laura and set all of that up, it's very likely that you might not be able to argue it. And I find it super interesting because I actually did have a situation. It wasn't me personally, it was another advisor that I used to work with. They had someone whose mother actually left I think it was like ninety percent of her wealth to the Lost Dogs Home and ten percent to the kids, and the kids were like, what the hell. They didn't know that that was the case until the mother passed away, because it was just in a will and that was her business. And you don't actually have to tell someone what is in your will unless you want to. Obviously, you're going to have to tell people if they're the executor of a will. But gee, if I leave you any money in my will, I don't have to tell you about that because I might change my mind later, who knows. Obviously, if it is completely leak proof, then you don't have a lot of wigal room. But according to Victoria Legal eight, if the person who made the will didn't have the capacity to make the will at the time they signed it, you could challenge it. Or if the will wasn't drafted and signed according to law, like there might be a little bit of a loophole if you're like, oh, like it was on the back of a napkin line, right, Probably probably not, so it needs to be the proper legal process. Or if one of the witnesses of the will are set to inherit something in the wheel, So that is an interesting loopholes. You might just be helping a mate out by signing it, but also creating a loophole of someone being able to challenge it. Yeah, it can be challenged if you were making the will under the influence of others. So for example, we've had situations and thankfully not with any of my clients, but you know, I have a lot of financial advisor friends where you know, maybe the kids are asking the parents to update the will while they're not well in hospital and they know what they're doing. Could be challenged then. Or if a person had a responsibility to provide for someone and they don't believe that they've left their fair share to that person. So for example, if they had kids under the age of eighteen and they've left absolutely nothing to that side of the family, and the kids still have school fees and the cost of putting roof over their head and stuff, and it's gone to maybe they're lack young mistress or something like. You could definitely challenge the will in that circumstance to say, did you know that they actually had kids that they needed to provide for? And that's probably not the most ethical of outcomes. However, if someone has gone to the trouble of making sure they have a watertight will, I also feel like sometimes it's not worth challenging, not not worth, but we need to also understand that, you know, you might not be getting what you wanted, g Like, you might feel like you're entitled to something. But I also think that when we go through a process like this, we need to check our entitlement a little bit and go what if their wishes are being completely fulfilled? Like a will is the wishes of someone who has passed away, and it speaks for that person when they're not able to speak for themselves anymore. And I just feel like sometimes I've seen situations where people are challenging wills and I'm like, mm, they really wanted that and not to get I guess too personal, but I have had situations where, you know, someone might have left all their money to the Lost Dogs Home and not to any of their adult children, and they've made that decision because their adult children weren't looking after them and they you know, maybe had really disconnected relationships and they hadn't talked to their kids in ten plus years, and they're like, do you know what, I don't want them to have that money. They don't have anything to do with me. And I often feel a little bit is the word iky like, when you hear that they're challenging a will and I'm like, well, you didn't even look after your mouth the last twenty years, but now you want to know. Oh. I don't know. I'm a big opinion on this, But at the same time, I think it's all about respect and making sure we're respecting the person that's passed away as well as you who is potentially inheriting something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, if anyone is interested in wills and all of that kind of thing. We did do an episode as you flagged earlier, V, so definitely go back and have a listen to that one. You also mentioned the tax implications briefly, V yes, sir, what's the goal there? Like what types of inheritance do we need to pay tax on? How does that work, what does it look like?
Speaker 1: So this is where you probably should get some advice, Like if you're inheriting a large sum of money and you need some advice, I definitely would get it because you don't want to get bitten with it later. But in Australia, g you'll be very happy to know there aren't any inheritance or estate taxes, which is kind of cool. But as I said before, there might be some tax obligations that you need to meet depending on exactly what you inherit. So for example, as we were talking about before, capital gains tax, like you might need to pay capital gains tax if you inherit a property and then sell it, but there are some exemptions to that. So for example, I know that if you sell it within the first two years, there might not be tax payable on that, But if you sell it after that two years but it was an inherited asset, you do have to pay capital gains tax. I would be going on to the ATO website and checking that because they do have a really good detailed summary of what that looks like. But I also think that it is really important to understand that even if you're in the middle of a grieving process, like as I said before, George, it is not the worst thing to just park the money or park the asset to the side and out of sight, out of mind for a bit while you go through your grief period, which I think is really important because the last thing you need to do is be making decisions on money and making really big investment decisions when you're not in your right mind. And I feel like, George, one of the biggest red flags for a financial advisor or anybody, right, even if it's your uncle John, who's you know in your ear and going George, you need to see financial advisor asap. You don't. You absolutely don't just get through that period and be okay. But do know the limitations of it. So parking it for six to twelve months non issue. But if you have a property, we need to make sure that you're not missing out on something if you've got that two year limit. So for example, we don't want to pay capital gains tax when it comes to inheritance. I've had a lot of people say things like, oh v I wish I'd known that earlier. So I think it's educate yourself and then park the money to the side, because we don't want to be in a fickle position. But that is just me. And then when it comes to g inherited shares, which you and I were talking about before, you're very likely to have to pay income tax on the dividends that are paid on those shares. And the same thing goes for property. If it is an income generating property like it is leased out and you have an income through having tenants in those properties, you're going to have to pay income tax on that because that was the obligation of the person who has now passed away. However, the sale of those assets is treated differently, so I would just be making sure that you're meeting your tax obligations and you know what applies to you. So if you're in that situation, have a chat to a financial advisor and they will make sure that you are doing the right thing. But as I said before, no need to jump on it. I guessap if you've just inherited.
Speaker 2: Something, Okay, before we head to the break fee, how important is it that we see a financial advisor. I'm assuming like the larger the sum of money or the larger the inheritance, probably the more likely it is that we should see an advisor just to make sure we are making the correct decisions. Is there like a monetary minimum that we should inherit before we see an advisor, Like if we're if we just in quotation marks inherit like ten grand or something compared to one hundred grand, they're very different sums of money. Should we see an advisor if it is that larger sum?
Speaker 1: Gee, I'm very pro advice obviously, and I do believe deeply in making sure that you get the right advice. But as you know, when it comes to financial advice, there are fees associated with that, and that could sit from anywhere between four to like eight thousand dollars. If you're talking about an inheritance advisory piece, like you're getting a statement of advice to make sure that that is okay. So when it comes to inheriting, and you use the example of ten thousand dollars, going and seeing a financial advisor might not be a viable outcome for you because it's like, well, you've inherited ten grand, are you going to go and use half of that to pay the advisor for some advice, Like I just don't feel like that is putting you in the best financial position, which is why I'm such a strong advocate of self education and making sure that you know what your goals are and what that ten thousand dollars could do for you, and how you want to honor that and how you want to work with that. But when it comes to something like one hundred thousand dollars G, we have so much power, and a lot of people will do something like they'll go, all right, well, I got this inheritance, I'm going to spend it all on a property. And I mean, you're not going to spend one hundred thousand dollars G unfortunately and get a property and wham bam, you don't have any kind of debt associated with that. Like that could be a house deposit for you, which is really great, But we need to think of the implications of that. And I'm very aware that a lot of people who get large sums of money are often like, oh my god, I could buy a house outright. But the thing there is, all right, gee, let's say you inherit half a million dollars, Like, do you know what I'm going to do. I'm going to go buy a property completely outright, like money win right. But with that situation, you're putting yourself in a position where you're not generating cash flow. Like you might own the property out right, but you're still having to go to work every day to make sure that you're putting food on the table, and you don't have the luxury of I guess financial freedom in that way. Like, yes, you might own your property completely outright, and that's a very sexy option, but when it comes to inheriting money, I just don't think people see the power in that as much as I guess I do. And so say you inherit five hundred grand and instead of buying a property, gee, you go and invest that in the share market. And you're like, okay, well, I'm young, I've inherited this money. I'm going to invest it in the share market for the next thirty years and create financial freedom for myself over that time. You're going to put yourself in a position where that five hundred thousand dollars will turn into about four point seven million dollars. So if you own your property outright, today, is that going to generate four point seven million dollars for you in the future.
Speaker 2: Look into this climate maybe, look maybe maybe if you're buying in Sydney, but good luck buying a property in Sydney for half a million dollars.
Speaker 1: However, it's really important to understand the implications of the decisions you're making, George, because if you put that money in shares and invested that that's now generating you in income, and that income later down the track can buy you a property. So it's all about good financial planning and making sure that we're making the right decision for you, because often people will we'll just go all right, well, I'm just going to buy a property outright, and I go, oh my gosh, Like I can see how that makes a lot of sense, and you'd feel very gratified and properties aligned to your values. But are you making the right decision for future you?
Speaker 2: Okay, I think that is the perfect place to leave it for now, viv. But on the other side of the break, we will be hearing your thoughts on what to do if you do receive a inheritance, and we'll also be running through the common mistakes that you see people make so don't go anywhere, guys, back into it. V. Let's get straight into the juicy stuff. Oh, I love the juicy stuff. If we are receiving a huge lump sum of money, how can we make the most of it and just not blow it?
Speaker 1: Well, first, I think it's about breathing and taking a step back from that money. As I said before, it is not the worst thing to put some time between you and your decision making. I feel like people feel a lot of pressure when it comes to inheritances, and for good reason. It is a lot of money. It is life changing, and I feel like, you know, I touched on guilt earlier, a lot of people carry a lot of guilt for not doing something, going oh my gosh, I've got this amount of money or I've got this thing and I need to make the most of it, and I'm not making the most of it. And you're staying up at night really late, and you're not sleeping because of it. Like, be kind to yourself. It is hard, It is not easy. I think that if you've never been in that position, you are in no position to judge someone who is going through that. So I think that giving yourself space to grieve and to process that, and to even just step back and pretend the money doesn't exist for a little bit and go, you know, what, what do I want from life? How is this going to work? Step back for a little bit, g and have a think about life. You know, you're in a relationship, you're really young. Do you want to get married? Do you want to have kids at some point? Like? What are your views on property? Is that something you want to buy? Like what does retirement look like to you in the future, and how are you planning on achieving that? And then after you're clear on your goals and what you want to achieve, then go all right, now I've got this asset that could help me achieve all of those things that I know I want to achieve, Like, your goals don't have to change because you've got an inheritance. I feel like so often people like, oh my gosh, I didn't want property, but then I inherited something, and I guess I have to buy it now because I just have this mass amount of money. Like that's not the case, that's not true at all. So I think it's about not making hasty decisions and then getting some advice, whether that is doing some research on your own. So then the next step, George would be getting some advice and doing some research and making sure that you're making the most of it, whether it is you know, five grand that you inherited and you just don't want it to go to waste, and maybe you're setting up a share portfolio for the very first time, or you are, you know, putting it into getting out of debt. I don't think that is a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination. Or if it's a larger sum of money or a house or a property, or a whole heap of shares or whatever it is, I would get some advice and create a plan and make sure that you are taking future you into consideration. Obviously a lot of people will be like, treat yourself, but I just don't want you to go overboard with that, because it's really like, an inheritance is really about future you, and there's a lot of power in inheritances to create future wealth not just for you, but for your future children or your future families. And I just feel like it's so easy to have money slip through your fingers.
Speaker 2: Which leads me perfectly to my next question, which is the common mistakes you do see people making when it comes to inheritances. I feel like people spending it too quickly. It would probably be at the top of the list.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, people do funny things when they're going through grief. G Yeah, I have seen a lot of people like a lot of money on fire because they are going through the throes of grief and they are not processing things properly, and they feel like maybe spending money is going to help them feel better. Spoiler alert, Monney isn't going to make you happy. It is not going to bring the person that you lost back. It is not going to make you feel any better if you're spending it on going out for lunch with a friend, or you know, doing something for yourself, which is obviously very important. But people do have a tendency when they get large lump sums of money to burn through it. Obviously, as I said, small indulgences here and there are not the worst thing to do. In fact, I encourage them, Georgia. But if you're finding yourself in a position where all of a sudden you can create financial freedom, or pay off your debts, or contribute to a deposit make sure that that is the right thing to be allocating that money towards, because sometimes what looks like the most logical answer is actually not the best financial answer.
Speaker 2: Okay, any other common mistakes you see.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, gee, there are heaps. The next one I feel like I've touched on throughout this entire episode, and that's making decisions while you're grieving and then regretting them because you felt either pressure to do it because Uncle John told you that you had to X Y Z, and you just felt a lot of pressure to make a decision. From my perspective, don't try to rush any type of decision, especially if you are particularly close to the person who has passed away. You have time take it, use it. It is your time to use. Another one is letting money get in the way of things that are important, like your relationship with your family. So often with inheritances, we let it get in the way of our loved ones, We let it get in the way of, you know, relationships that we've always held really close to ourselves. And when the topic of inheritances come up, it often gets really sticky, it gets really dramatic. People argue like money is the one thing that can completely divide a family. You know, you might have had a very close family and then a grandparent passes away and all of that dissolves because they can't get on the same page. So I think it's really important to remember who you are and what your values are. And as much as money is obviously something that can create wealth and freedom, I just think we need to not forget what is important and you need to know that you can be the bigger person. And it doesn't need to be dramatic. It can be very non emotional. But if you're going through that, I recommend getting some advice or talking to someone about that because it can be really, really hard. Gee, I have two more. The next one I have for you is not getting financial advice when you need it. So often people just go, oh, I don't need it, like it's not worth it. At the end of the day, if you're inheriting a really large sum of money, get some advice. If you don't take it, that's cool, but I promise you getting advice will make sure that you are making the right decision, whether you decide to invest in shares or just not do anything. And then the last one is something that I feel like I would do, Like I feel like I would just be incredibly generous. And I know that I guess that sounds like I've got lots of tickets on myself, and I promise you I don't. That is not the case at all. Just really like looking after other people, and I really like making sure other people are okay. And some people seem to think that they're Oprah when inheritances come up, Like you get a thousand dollars and you get a thousand dollars in ge you'll pay off your credit card. But I think it's important to make a plan for your money before going around and handing it out, because obviously there is a lot of power in a very large sum of money, but that power is going to diminish if you start giving it away or trying to help absolutely everybody with it. Like, obviously generosity is really important and I am all for it, but I think that we need to put ourselves first in this situation. And just because you can help somebody, I know it sounds terrible, doesn't mean you should be doing it.
Speaker 2: George, Yeah, it's tempting, it's age. Yeah, Okay, As we flagged before, you do have a background in psychology. Do you think there is a tendency to view inherited money as bonus money almost, and then therefore not treat it as cleverly as we could.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me through that?
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: Well, it's not mine. I didn't earn it. I can do whatever I want with it. I'm going to buy a boat with my inheritance. I deserve it. I've worked hard all my life. I totally get it. And you know what, if that's what you want to do. I am so not judgmental with the way people spend money, George. I have seen it all. I have been involved in interactions where people are talking about buying maseratis for their mistresses, and I could not care less. It is not my money, not my circus, not my monkeys. My job as a financial advisor is to help you make the best decision for you, and if buying a maserati, George for your mistress is the best financial decision for you, let me help you do that properly.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Obviously, Georgia, that one question to my ethics a fair bit and wasn't aligned to who I am as a financial advisor, which is why I now have my own financial advisory practice and I do whatever I want and see the clients that nourish me. However, a lot of people will see an inheritance as bonus money, but what we really need to see it as is an opportunity. It is an opportunity to put future you ahead. Is an opportunity to make sure that your life is completely sustainable and we are working towards financial freedom. Like obviously, inheritance could mean anything, and it could mean five hundred dollars or it could mean five million dollars. However, I think whatever it is, I just don't want you to treat it as bonus money. It needs to be respected. It's not money that you won. It's money that somebody worked incredibly hard to earn and now they're sharing it with you. And that, to me, is not a bonus. It is not something that you just throw down the drain. From my perspective, inheritances need to be respected, and that's I guess the premise I have, like every time I speak to a client, it is about making sure that we are respecting that money and we are respecting the person who earned it. Because you guys should know by now money is hard to earn, hard to keep, and if we have it, we should respect it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, And I feel like that would help relieve some of that inheritance Gill that you spoke about before as well. The money, as we touched on before, again, isn't the only thing that people can inherit. What are your thoughts on what we should do with inherited property?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, there are so many, so, so many options and there's no quote answer to this. Yeah, there's no like, oh, well, good, good question. Gee. People who inherit property should do X. Like there's no one size fits all approach to this. A lot of people who inherit property might actually be inheriting a really sentimental property which is very hard to part with. It might be the family home that you grew up in. It might be a holiday house that you have incredibly fond memories of and you've spent a lot of time there and you want to hold onto it for your kids and your future. And that's amazing. And as we've seen over the last twelve months in particular Georgia, property is pretty good investment, not bads. But we also need to make sure that we're making the right decision for us. Other people, they might not feel tied to it at all. They might want to sell it, they might want to get rid of it. They might want to hold on to it as an asset and lease it out or put it on Airbnb, or do something else with it. I guess the part that gets really complicated is where multiple people are listed on an inherited property, and then people have conflicting ideas on what to do with that property. So, for example, George, let's say we were siblings and we both inherit a property from our parents, and we're both in very different financial situations. Like you might be really financially comfortable, like you and your partner, George, you're completely financially free, You've got really good incomes, you're not worried. That house is really sentimental to you, and you just want to keep it because you want to go, you know, use it as a holiday house, you know, once or twice a year. It's not of any consequence to you. But on the flips, I might be in a whole heap of debt, and to me that property is a ticket to getting out of debt and setting myself up well. And so we need to come to a conclusion that works for both of us, because you'd be in that position where you're like, well, v I want to keep it. You know, it means so much to me. What do you mean? And I go, well, that's the ticket for me to get out of debt and create financial freedom. And obviously, from that perspective, it would be very hard to get on the same page. So if you can't come to an agreement, we might end up in court, which obviously ends up in usually having the property sold. It's never ever a cheap exercise. So if you can avoid it escalating to that, that would obviously be the recommended option. And there's obviously lots of options like I could sell my portion to you, Josh, or we could negotiate that over time, like there are lots of ways to do that, and I would be getting advice on it. But property can be quite dividing when one property gets inherited by multiple people.
Speaker 2: Yes, spy see, I did want to ask you a little bit more about family dynamics when it comes to inheritances, but I'm wary of the time. This has been quite a long episode, so I'm going to skip that question and finish with one that I think is extremely interesting, is it. Do you think vd that there is a danger in leaving your kids too much money? So celebs, for example, like Gordon Ramsey and Daniel Craig, they've been known to say in the past that they will not be leaving their incredible fortunes to their children. What's your take on that.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is such a spicy one because I'm so opinionated on this just because I'm like, that's not what I would do. But again, like it's their circus, it's their monkeys. They can do whatever they want. And I totally understand where someone like Gordon Ramsey is coming from because historically he said he wants his kids to work for their wealth and he wants them to go through the same I guess character cre eating process that he went through. And I totally get that. But I sit on both sides of the fence, right like, if you're not going to leave your fortune to your kids, where's it going? So I don't know where Daniel Craigil Gordon Ramsey are planning on putting their money, but it does have to go somewhere. Is it going somewhere? That means a lot to you. If that's the case, fantastic. If you're giving it away just so your kids have to work harder, I'm a bit on the fence about that, because with a good estate planner, with a really good will and estate plan behind you, that wealth can become whatever you want it to become, and you have the opportunity of creating generational wealth, like your inheritance or your family wealth is not just helping your kids. It could be helping you know, your kid's kids and your kids kids kids kids like it can create a legacy, and for me, legacy is so important. Like if you have the ability to make life better for others, especially others that you love, wouldn't you be doing that. So one of the things that you could do is, you know, say, okay, well we're not giving them a lump sum of money, but my entire inheritance will be invested, and the dividends from that investment will be divided among my kids as an income stream, so that they're never financially pressed. It might end up being you know, I'm sure this is not the case for Gordon Ramsey because he has lots of dollars gging, But I have situations where I've got clients and they have inheritances, and their inheritances are all invested and they get an income stream of like thirty grand a year from that investment. So all of the kids in the family all have thirty grand a year coming in. That would obviously take off some very significant financial pressure. Like imagine going through life knowing that at a base level you always had thirty thousand dollars a year coming in. It would mean that you are more likely to make good property decisions because you know you have that cash flow to fall back on even if you don't have a job. Means that you might be able to send your kids to a better school was in line with your values. Like for me, it's not necessarily about spoiling them with wealth, but having a structure that means they are supported because I'm just of the opinion that if I had the ability to support my kids in the future, I would want to. But I totally understand, you know Gordon Ramsay saying I want my kids to work for wealth. I don't want them to be spoilt. I want them to work, and I want them to have good work ethics. But I feel like with good advice you can achieve both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting, I feel like that one. I feel like the listeners would probably be quite divided on that. I feel like it is.
Speaker 1: Totally unrelatable, Like how many times are you like, oh, well, we've got millions and millions and millions of dollars? What are we going to do with it? Like I totally get giving it to the Lost Dogs home, but what are you going to do with it? How are you creating your legacy? And something that is really important when it comes to inheritances for me is legacy, Like what are you leaving behind? What does that mean? What is your impact on the world, Because impacts so much more than money, Like how you made people feel is going to be the thing that they remember about you, not how rich you were. And yeah, it's time to wrap it up. Hopefully everyone got a little something out of today's episode. Now that we're at the end of it V, I'm thinking that maybe it would be worth us dedicating an episode to kind of class issues almost in a way, because I'm also imagining people are listening to this and thinking, yeah, well, I'm happy for Gordon Ramsey and Daniel Craig, but my kids aren't going to inherit millions, They would be lucky to inherit thousands. So I think that's kind of an interesting piece of this discussion that we haven't really had time to touch on today. It absolutely is there's so much privilege that plays into it, and I think class issues is something we need to discuss because there's also so many barriers to advice as well. Like, you know, someone like Gordon Ramsey is going to set his kids up for generational wealth and they won't have to worry ever again, and there's just so much privilege that plays into that. But someone who you know has never created wealth and they're not going to get an inheritance from their parents, and they're working their asses off, but their kids are still not going to inherit anything. Like I totally get that, and it comes down to me to legacy, like what you leave behind doesn't have to be financial. But you're right, we do really need to break down the class issues because obviously there's a lot of privilege in being able to access advice as well, which is why I do what I do, George, which is why we give away so much free advice and so many free resources on cheese on the money because I just want people to have access to the advice that I know wealthy people can afford. Yeah for sure. All right, let's wrap it anyway. Gee, that is all we have time for today. So before we head off, we'd like to acknowledge and pay respect to Australia's Aboriginal and torrest Rate islander people's. They're the traditional custodians of the lands, the waterways and the skies all across Australia. We thank you for sharing and for caring for the land on which we are able to learn. We pay our respects to elders past and present, and we share our friendship and our kindness.
Speaker 2: And remember, guys, the advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or a financial decision. And we promise Victoria Divine is an authorized representative of InFocus Securities Australia Proprietary Limited ABN four seven zero nine seven seven nine seven zero four nine AFOSL two three six five two three.
Speaker 1: Okay, you You're getting better at.
Speaker 2: Those number two three off the tongue.
Speaker 1: See you next week, Guys by Guys,