Speaker 1: Do you find yourself constantly trying to ensure that people like you, maybe bending over backwards to avoid giving bad news or make someone unhappy. But what if the extra reassurance and the fear of being too direct actually causing you more harm than good. Many of us battle with some degree of people pleasing in our personalities, and the negative consequences can appear both in our personal and professional lives. To dive into this topic, we are joined by Laura Henshaw to talk about how she realized that her need to be liked was affecting those working under her. Laura Henshaw is a dynamic force in the health and wellness industry as the co founder and CEO of the incredibly successful Kick app and community. She leads a mission to reshape how people perceive wellness and their relationship with themselves, and Laura is having a massive impact with the Kick app currently sitting at over two point five million users and reaching people in over one hundred and twenty countries. In this episode, we discussed the ways that your people pleasing could be holding you back, how Laura changed her people pleasing behavior, and how she broke her destructive habit of reading comments from all the trolls. Welcome to How I Work, a show about habits, rituals, and strategies for optimizing your day. I'm your host, doctor Amantha Imber. In addition to her incredible success, Laura is a self confessed people pleaser, but she's done the work to improve in that area. In fact, she did that work with her coach, Jennie Martino, who helped her realize how her need to be liked was affecting her work.
Speaker 2: The biggest thing that comes to mind is when I met Janie. One of the biggest things holding me back in when I say reaching my full potential as a leader, I feel like we're always learning and growing, right, So I'm definitely not there yet, and I hope I never get there, because you want to keep growing and evolving. But something that was holding me back a lot was how much I cared about what people think or thought, and also my need to be liked by every single person. When you need to be liked by everyone that you're leading, if that's kind of something that and I didn't consciously put it as a KPI, but subconsciously that was number one before everything else, which isn't the best for anyone at all, because then you're leading at a lot of the time in fear because you don't want to let anyone down. You want people to like you. So giving feedback is incredibly difficult. Feedback is obviously incredibly important for people growing in their career, al so in being clear and where you actually want the business to go and taking control of it and executing the vision, the strategy, etc. But I was so stuck in thinking that that mattered. And I think for me, I have a lot of people pleasing tendencies, and I don't want to say that all women do not have that, and that's great, and I don't want anyone listening to think that, oh, because I'm a woman, I must be a people pleaser, because I don't think that's the case at all. But I think unfortunately maybe in gender stereotypical roles where more of the care is or expected to be, etc. And so sometimes it does come up. And so my people pleasing tendencies really leaned into that need to be liked, and so I've had to undo a lot of that, which Janey helped me work through, and I have just like the way that I'm able to lead now in comparison when I look back at that person, I'm like, oh, my goodness, it's crazy. Like I do identify still with with myself of you know, three or whatever years ago, two years ago, but I just feel so different, like I've been let free and being able to let that go.
Speaker 1: I feel like you've just described my twenty twenty four. I want to know for you, though, Laura, if you think back over the last three years and this big shift that you've made, what are some of those practical things that you did, all those mindset shifts that you had to make that had the biggest difference.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's such a good question, and it's great that you've also been on the journey because I think a lot of people have and will relate to this. For me, and one of the questions Janie asked me was and we work through this in one of my I think it was almost my first session with Janey, which was why do you want to be liked? Like? Why is that important? And is that actually what is important to you? And what we came out to is, no, I don't. It's not really about being liked per se, but it's about being respected. And I think that was kind of rooted in a lot of stuff. For me. I know we might touch today on imposter syndrome and kind of being a young female leader. So because of where my career started was with social or part of it was social media, and so for a very long time, I felt that I wasn't taken seriously. Well I wasn't. Actually I can not just what I thought. I was not taken seriously by a lot of people that I worked with.
Speaker 1: How did you know for sure?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean there were times when I was in rooms with people that I worked with that would describe so often Steph and I as the marketing girls, and it's like, no, we built this brand, we run this business, etc. There's been multiple occasions where that has happened in different ways, and I think at that time, I felt like I just had to prove myself. And I think because of that kind of I've definitely worked through that and now I know that like that's on them. I don't have to prove myself to anyone. But that definitely was a big cause of why I then felt that I had to kind of lead that way. And so for me, it was kind of thinking about, Okay, I need to be respected, that's what it's important, and then it's unpacking. Okay, how do you get respect with your team? How do you get respect with the people around you by being a good leader and knowing that you can still lead with empathy, because that's very, very very important to me. But I think it was also the realization that it is impossible to be liked by everyone because no matter what, like I know that you know, in running a business and everyone that's listening that does most decisions you make, there is going to be someone that's not going to like the decision. It's very very rare we make decisions where everyone agrees on it and is going to like the outcome, right, especially when you're running a business. And so it was also that realization that I was, well, I'm setting myself up to fail because i can't actually achieve this and I'm not driving the business. And in my role as CEO of if I'm not driving the business for then I shouldn't be in the.
Speaker 1: Role how then, because I feel like one of the hardest areas where this plays out is when you have to have those tough conversations and I mean I hate calling them to have conversations. I try to think of them as important conversations as opposed to difficult conversations because it changes the mindset. But they're hard if you've got a high need to be liked and you are delivering news that someone else is going to find tough or confronting or hard to take on board. How did you change your approach to those kinds of conversations.
Speaker 2: I think realizing that in going in to be liked. So there was one instance. I remember I delivered something to the team and Janie was there, and she said, because I had always thought like I have to do like a sandwich, I think this is something I don't actually got sandwich. I don't agree that I should be. I don't think it's the best way to approachings, but I used to. And the feedback I got was it was almost like I made a sandwich, but it was like with the thinnest slice of ham in the middle, which is what I had to deliver, and then it had like a hundred pieces of bread on both sides, so no one got the message no one's tasty because I put so stuff around it in the fear that of the thing I was delivering. What that then means is I think when you're delivering out of a place of fear. If you don't believe in what you're saying or feel that it's fair or whatever it might be, how the heck is your team going to find it also fair and believe in it back. So that's number one thing. But what I then was able to navigate through time was realizing the biggest I think one of the biggest realizations for me was feedback is a kindness. Being clear is kind That's the biggest thing. And there's a book I can't remember the name of it. I will find it once I finish this pod and I can send it through to put in the show notes. But it's fantastic And at the start of it there's a chapter around an employee that never gets feedback. They're the really likable person in the office. They contribute to culture Radical candor Yes, radical Canda, Yes Yeah. Who's the author is it Kim Scott? Yes? Kim Scott, Radical Candor. That first chapter made I recommend anyone that is struggling with this right now to read that. It made such a bigin for me because this person in this book wasn't giving any given any feedback because everyone was trying to avoid it because they liked them and they thought that would be best for them. And then when they were let go and they said, why didn't anyone tell me? It's like stepping back and actually thinking about that, why didn't anyone tell you? Because they were trying to protect you? But in trying to protect you and be likable, you know, to them, you then set them up to fail in their role. And if people are coming to work with you, I think I always feel like Kick, we're so lucky to have the team that we have, and for people to take time within their career path at Kick, you know, and for us to be part of their journey is a really special thing, and it's very important that we offer career growth and development for those people. But if we're not giving feedback on how they can improve or being clear with our expectations, that's not the best for them and it's also not the best for the business. And that's where another really really big lesson from Janney has come in on communication and the power of being clear that you can do that with empathy, and that's been a huge, huge lesson for me as well. And you just as I said, like that sandwich with the hundred slices of bread on each side. It doesn't help anyone. And you say it is hard. You walk into the room, you know you're having a hard conversation. You just need to start it. Once you're in the conversation, it's absolutely fine. It's kind of just that start part where you feel uncomfortable, but you're also assuming what the other person is going to do or how they're going to react. You don't know, and so I think we need to also give people the benefit of the doubt in that situation that though they might be aligned with this or they might take this on board, it's also their choice if they take it on board or not right, but it is as leaders it is our responsibility to share that with them.
Speaker 1: I want to ask in terms of this need to be liked and how you've kind of shifted that into you know, it's a need to be respected. I'm reminded of I thought it was such a powerful interview that you gave on the Imperfect I want to say that was late twenty twenty three maybe, but during that interview you spoke about how you read the comments online, all of them, and Steph, your business partner and best friend doesn't, and I remember being really surprised but curious. Has your behavior changed in light of, I guess, trying to manage your people pleasing ways? Or do you still do that? Oh?
Speaker 2: Great question. I'm very proud to say that I don't do that anymore.
Speaker 1: How did you stop?
Speaker 2: I mean, I working through all of this, and I suppose it's kind of separate to my leadership journey per se, but it'll write it it all comes together and links in. I tried to and have been on a journey to stop caring about what people I think. And Brene Brown talks about this a lot, and it's one of my favorite pieces of work that she has done when she talks about people in the arena and if someone is not in the arena with you, getting their butt kicked like their opinion. I've definitely put to this, But essentially it's like their opinion doesn't matter because they're up sitting just watching and observing. And I think what I was doing was thinking that. For me, it comes down to growing up. Something that I valued myself on a lot was being a hard worker. And so that's something that I'm trying to undo as an adult now because I think often what I do is I hide behind the fact that I work hard, because then I don't have to think about, well, hang on, what value do I add here? It's like, well, I'm a hard worker. That's the value that I add. But if I strip that back and I don't do that, which can lead to burnout and you can't work, you know, sixteen hours a day for the rest of your life every single day. It's too much, you know, ebbs and flows, and sometimes I'll be busy weeks and less busy weeks. But I have had to strip that back, and I think a part of that was there's a book called Burnout. It's fantastic. There's one page that's about the whip and I just related to it so much when I read it, and essentially what they talk about is and it's mainly aimed at women. This book. For a lot of people, we feel that we have to seek out this, like I was these trolling comments because the reason I was seeking them out is because I feel like I have to continue working hard, I have to continue improving, and so if I would read it, it was almost this fuel of the fire of Okay, I'm not good enough yet, I have to keep. In the book, the way they talk about it is it's a whip. I have to keep whipping myself because then if you pull back and what they talk about in the book, and you look at where you've what you've built, or how you in your career, where you've got to, and you know with what we've built with Kick, I look back and I think, Okay, the reason I have got here is because of the whip. So if I put the whip down and I stop fueling myself through all of these kind of horrible trolling comments online, constantly trying to be better and better and better, I won't have any drive and therefore I won't be able to continue to grow. Then it's been working through like that. Whip is not the reason that I have got to where I am today and unpacking that, but it has been really really hard to do that. And it also depends, like I feel like our confidence ebbs and flows, and I know when you think of like the most kind of corny Pinterest quote, it's like confidence is not a destination. It's a journey. I know, and I can see like the clouds around it. But it's true, right, you can never ever ever stop working on yourself, and so sometimes I will go through stages where I feel tempted to go and look at those comments and take them on board. But I have done a lot of work on myself to now have so many tools to not go and do that and know that how hard I work has nothing to do with how worthy I am as a person, and that I'm you know, capable of deserving of things. That's been really hard to work through, but that has been so important in truly believing like within myself to be able to kind of get through that stuff. And I definitely still have self doubt, but it does not control me like it used to.
Speaker 1: Like that sounds absolutely phenomenal what you've done, Laura. That is such a huge change to achieve. I don't know you, but I've feel proud, you.
Speaker 2: Know, thank you. It's very kind.
Speaker 1: How then do you know when enough is enough? At work? I mean, you know, you're like this amazing mascot for well being. You know, that's that's who you are, that's what kick is. Yet you're a business owner, you're a CEO, you do obviously have an amazing work ethic, and you've got friends and family. How do you know then when enough is enough on a day to day or week to week basis, well, I have.
Speaker 2: To start by saying sometimes I don't and this is something I'm absolutely working through. So I do not have this down pattern perfect. But for me, what I have learned is when I don't stop and I don't have anything outside of work, first of all, like the impact that that then puts me back in a fear driven mindset because one hundred and ten percent of my focus is on work. And so my full fulfillment in my life is based on what happens, you know, with kick and running a business, like the one thing that is guaranteed is that stuff's going to go wrong, Like that's the one thing. There's something else is guaranteed. There's gonna there's gon to be things that you're going to come up against that you maybe have never sold before or are really really going to challenge you. Like that is guaranteed, right as we know in anyone that's a business owner will also know that. And so because of that, if I have all of my eggs in the basket of work, I am them operating knowing that I have to keep going and going and going, because this is the only way I'm going to get fulfillment and if something goes wrong, controlling your emotional reaction within yourself and they're not going down a path of for me, really getting deep in that self doubt mindset, but also a shame mindset in that you know something might go wrong not go the way that I wanted it to. I now am much better at reframing into you know, this didn't go the way I wanted it to. Here's my learnings. I'm moving on instead of saying I am stupid, or I am dumb, or I'm not good enough, because what happens when you're in that mindset or I have found, is that it is so hard to get out of it. And once you spiral it might start in one element of your your work or your job, it will spread into every element of your life and less you and your work, and then it will start to spread out psy cancer unless you take control of it. And so for me, I know that if I have all of my eggs in the basket of work and I work every single day and don't take any breaks, that's kind of where I will be end up. And that's not the best thing for me, for the company, for anyone that I work with, because sometimes, like you know, back this has not happened for a long time, but I've had spirals that have lasted like six seven months, and that is so much time to lose because when you don't believe in yourself and you're trying to move a company forward, it's very, very, very difficult. And so that's been one of the biggest things. And then the other thing is is understanding. So having things outside of work is very important, but then understanding as well. If I push push, push, I'm not going to be able to show up as my best self the next day. My brain doesn't work as well. I get brain fog. I find it really hard to focus on deep work. I find it really hard to actually step back and actually work out what am I working on that's impactful, because you get so stuck in the weeds and just on this kind of wheel of got to keep going, got to keep going, and then you're actually again not making impact. That's what's important, right, and so it's stepping back and being able to do that. But it's definitely something like, as I say this, I don't always get it right.
Speaker 1: When you recognize that you're in a spiral. What has worked for you in the past in terms of breaking out of that, either quickly or slowly.
Speaker 2: I think it's understanding shame has been one of the biggest things Brene Brown. I reference her so much. She's just incredible. Her work is for me personally, has made such an impact. She has a book. It's got a red cover. It's essentially all about different emotions and the definitions Atlas of the Heart, so you know all of them. Amazing that I highly recommend that book to anyone that's listening because the way she defines and kind of speaks through shame really helped me understand what it is. And I think when you understand what it is, it is easier to call it out when it's happening. And so what I sometimes I don't do this, but what I try to do and what I find really works, is trying to step out from the situation and separate from myself, Like the way I'm talking to myself that I'm not good enough, because I know how it feels. And when I start feeling that way, I'm like, Okay, hang on, I need to look like what's going on in my brain? What's going on in my mind, and I'm able to take those thoughts and almost like visualize separating them from myself and then identifying that, Okay, I have not all of a sudden lost my entire brain capacity forgotten how to do my job and have just become, you know, not be able to do anything that has not happened. Now, while that's what I'm telling myself in my head, that has not happened, this is actually shame and I need to get out of this, and then I will reframe it away from you know, I am not good enough to This didn't go the way that I wanted. Here's my learnings. I'm going to move forward. As I said, it's easier said than done, and sometimes it does take a few days to be able to kind of separate that. But it's kind it's coming back to focusing on the present, because when you're doing that, you're just caught up in you know, what's happened in the past, and you're making stories up in your head. Trying to come back and cent to yourself and come back to the present and taking those thoughts out from that and working through them.
Speaker 1: How do you know when you're in a spiral like can you think of a time when I don't know you were last in it, or when it was particularly hard to get out of.
Speaker 2: How do you know how it feels in my body? I feel my chest is tight, I feel sad, and I feel like really demotivated and maybe not depressed per se, but just really down. And I know that that's not how I usually feel. Like our body tells us. We know, like how you feel is everything, And that's something that in terms of going back to the advice that Jennie has shared for me and what I've learned the most from her, like that's one of the biggest things, is going back to how do you feel? Like it's one of the questions that comes up out of almost anything that you're kind of working through, and so I know what that feeling is and I can identify that, and then it's yet working out how to get out of it.
Speaker 1: You spoke about not having all the balls in the one basket in the work basket. What actions do you take where you feel like it is leaning that way? Like, what are the steps that you've taken in the past to be more balanced? And I guess reduce the chance of burnout and being in one of these virals.
Speaker 2: At first, it's acknowledging that all of my eggs are in the work basket, which I'm in. Again, for anyone listening, it's pretty hard to do that, and especially when sometimes I think we get in this almost marta mindset of I have to all my eggs have to be in this basket? Do they? Why are you just telling yourself that probably that's usually what the answer is, But I think we have to do this, well why do you? Probably not, You're just in this spiral, And so I kind of step back and I look at, okay, what and especially for me as well, like one of my kind of hobbies per se is running, but running is also a big part of my work and making content, and so I've had to also be quite honest with myself because sometimes I'm like, oh, no, I've got my running, but it's like, well, no, running is also technically a part of my work because you know, we've got the Kick growing program and Kick and all the content that I create out of that. So I step back and I think, Okay, well, what am I doing outside of work to fill my cut back up? And one of the things I often find will kind of go off and I don't know if this is the same for you, that I will kind of first just put in the bin per se is social time because I think I don't have time to do that. And you also sometimes when you feel exhausted, maybe because of work or whatever, it might be the last thing you want to do is go out for dinner or go and speak to more people because you just want to be by yourself. But you actually need to get out and do that. And for me, it's been really really acknowledging that that social time that fills my cup like that is recharging. Even though it's with people and solo time is very important, connection is also a way to fill like up that sometimes I think when we get caught up in our own heads, we just put it off and cancel it because we don't think that we can show up. But that's actually what helps well for me recharge my batteries. So it's looking at, Okay, what am I doing, and it's what am I spending time on. It Something that I always love to think about when it comes to hobbies or just things that can take my mind off just the grind of the day, is what have I done lately? Where I didn't look at the time, and time just passed by and I didn't even realize, and I wasn't thinking about like, oh, I need to be productive after this, or you know, I'm only going to do this for an hour. I didn't even notice, and the day passed. I mean, I don't do a lot of it, but when I've done pottery before, that's something that happens. When I spend time with kids, like often, that's also what happens painting and reading, and so I try to get those things back in my life. But it's important to acknowledge as well that sometimes there are periods where work will take a lot from you. And it's accepting that and honoring that, because I think when we try and fight it it can just make it worse. But just trying to make sure we're really honest with ourselves. If we say I don't have time to do anything for myself, it's really asking like why and if you can trying to do something otherwise you won't show up one hundred percent when you get to work. Anyway, we will.
Speaker 1: Be back with Laura soon, and when we return, Laura shares the rituals and habits that keep her from overloading on work, why it's crucial to avoid responding from an emotional state, and her top tip for starting the week strong to ensure you actually get things done. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way you work can live. I write a short weekly newsletter that contains tactics I've discovered that have helped me personally. You can sign up for that at Amantha dot com. That's Amantha dot com. I am curious as to how then you stay disciplined with making sure that you do have time for these other non work activities, because I think you know and I say this as someone who I think could do with working less hours. It's kind of it's easy to say and it's easy to know, but then it's hard to do. And so I can share with you something that I have found quite useful because I agree with social connection. It's such an energizer. And I've got my family. I've got my beautiful daughter, a beautiful partner, and they're amazing, but friends are so important. I'm an only child, and so my friends are like family. And I have a little ritual that I generally do it on Mondays where I will just send a bunch of messages to my friends and get social catch ups in the diary, and I know that if I've got at least one or two friend catch ups that might be a walk, or it might be a meal or something else, then that's a good week. I'm filling my social cup. For you, Like, do you have any rituals or kind of little hacks like that almost keep you honest away from just overleading on work.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's such a good thing to do, especially at the start of the week. I think for me, it's scheduling in at the start of the week, Like that's the biggest hack that we can do for ourselves, because if you don't, you never set yourself up for success, because then you don't have any boundaries kind of in your day. You haven't set your routine up, and then you will every time. I mean, it's the same thing with moving your body, right. If you don't prepare, if you wake up in the morning and you don't know what workout you're going to do, you haven't got your clothes out, you haven't really allowed yourself enough time, and you haven't thought through it and planned. It is so easy to be like, oh it's too hard, I'm just going to keep sleeping or I'm just going to hit to work early or whatever it might be. And it's the same thing right with everything with planning. So for me with movement, it's making sure I've worked out where that's going to fit in my week, because if I haven't, the week will just override it. And doing that at the start of the week. And then also the social thing. I try and make sure I have one kind of social connection thing during the week and then one on the weekend as well. And it's making the effort to put that in right and sometimes I know and I can. Again, it comes back to how I feel in my body, like when I start feeling down and tired and that feeling like close to burnout. I look at a hang on. If I look back at the past month or whatever, I haven't done the things that I know can help me work through this. So I don't always do it, but that's a really good hack.
Speaker 1: I want to pick up on what you said before about Sydney, where you have to go to Sydney, No, you get to go to Sydney. Tell me about that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean that's perspective. Is everything right? And I think when we get caught up in the busyness of like, how many times do you ask someone how they're going and they say busy? And I really try not to do that because I like focusing on perspective and then coming back to gratitude. When I focus on gratitude, I'm able to be so much more present, and I'm just able to show up in such a better way than I do when I think, you know, the world is happening to me, instead of being like, no, I'm happening to the world. Like we're in control of a lot more than we think, and so so often we think, oh, I have to go to this meeting, I have to go to work today, I have to go to Sydney, and it's reframing that to no, I get to go to Sydney, and yes, you know, flying in and out in a day might be tiring, but what an amazing opportunity to be able to go and do whatever I'm doing there. And then I think, Okay, well, it's pretty awesome that someone you know cares about me enough to want me to go to Sydney and meet them. Because then when I go, I'm not going in this headspace of I don't want to be here. I'm exhausted, I'm tired, because that's going to impact the entire day. I'm going to have a horrible experience one million percent.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you about something you You wrote this really great post on LinkedIn, which I think it was something like ten things I now know to be true as a CEO, something like that. I'm paraphrasing, and one of the things you wrote. I'll read it out because I really loved it, and I'm curious as to how how you apply this day to day. You said, responding in an emotional state is never a good idea. Always take a moment, a few minutes, an hour a day, depending on how you feel and the response within your body, before you respond, Wait until you can get into a win win mindset instead of you versus the other person mindset.
Speaker 2: Can you tell me about that?
Speaker 1: How did you learn that lesson? Oh?
Speaker 2: I mean, I've learned it many, many, many times. I think when things happen, it might be that I don't know, someone responded to something in a way that you didn't feel was fair, or you're in a negotiation and it's not feeling whatever it might be. Usually because it feels unfair, right, That's why we respond in that way, and the first response, like our automatic response is oh, I need to tell them, like why they've made me feel this way and why they're wrong and etc. There is no way, like in the art of negotiation or just generally approaching a conversation, that if you approach a conversation like that, you were going to get a good outcome because you're going in wanting to I suppose you're not really wanting to the other person, but that's kind of how you're approaching it, because what you really want if you step back, and it always comes back to this stow, which is again in the moment. And that's why I kind of said if it takes Amitted an hour or a day, because sometimes things will trigger us into a really intense emotional response, never ever, ever, ever respond in that time. It's I don't know any time in my life when I've responded in that while I'm in that feeling that it's been a good outcome, or if we have got a good outcome, it's just taken so long to get there. So step out and think, Okay, yes, this person has really maybe it's a contract negotiation, they've sent things through that have really offended you, like they don't see my value, I'm being taken advantage of, etcetera, etcetera. So it's stepping back and being like, Okay, they have responded in that way, so how I would have responded like that's but I'm not going to take it personally. I'm going to come back to what do I want to get out of this and what do they want to get out of it? And how can I respond in a way to pre that's closer to that outcome? That will often help the other person to bring down their guard, because if you go in with your guard and you're in this attack mode, they are going to straight get on the defense. And negotiating with anyone or having a conversation when someone is defensive is I mean, we've all been in those situations. It's really difficult. Is very very rare you will get anywhere right.
Speaker 1: How do you, I guess, almost take yourself down off that cliff's edge when you're feeling like that. To calm yourself down, whether it's over a period of hours or a day or more, I.
Speaker 2: Let myself feel the feelings. I think that's really important. I think often we feel or we're told that we have to. You know, we can't get upset, we can't feel angry. They're fine. Like, you have to honor your emotions, and often when something triggers you, it's just a I suppose indication of something you really care about about yourself. So I let myself feel the emotion, and depending on how hard I'm feeling it, then I just I know if I'm still like, if I'm still feeling that for a long time, I know that I have to wait a little bit longer. I find a good night's sleep will help me get out of that emotional state. Most of the time, but I wait until I don't feel super super triggered and I suppose attacked by it and emotional about it. I let those emotions. I honor them, I let them pass there. Of course, there are times when it doesn't pass, and that's when I actually be like, okay, we need to move forward, Like coming back to again, what is the outcome that they want? Like what's the best outcome for them? What's the best outcome for me? Like a win win mindset, and then like applying it to that, and it is it's talking to people about it, talking it through always helps because I think sometimes we can get in our head and we start making up all of these assumptions and all of these stories. You know, we always say, like the truth is, there's one person's side, the other person's side, and then there's the truth, right, and sometimes too, what might happen? They might have triggered something in you, and then you will then make up this entire thing in your head that makes you really angry and it keeps that emotion, But none of that has happened. It's all made up in your head based on how you think that personal respond or assumptions. So it's just being able to realize that if that's lasting longer, what that is, step out of yourself and then work through what am I trying to get out of this? And what do they want? But it is, as I said, it is much harder said than done, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I want to finish with asking. I feel like you're the sort of person you know, given how well well read you are and how thoughtful you are, that you know perhaps has different mantras or sayings or ways of being that perhaps a friend of mine at different times in your life. I'd love to know right now. What is a mantra or a quote or something like that that is serving you particularly well right now?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's such a good thing. I think for me, I'm still working through as I said, like working on confidence and removing self doubt is still something that I'm working on. It's a journey. So the thing that right now that I always come back to is that I am good enough and I'm safe, and that really helps me. Actually that I am safe part because I think I don't know what it is, but it just makes me feel calm when I say it and I believe it, which is you know what we want to do when we have a mantra.
Speaker 1: Definitely, Laura, It's made such a joy having you on. Thank you so much for sharing this last hour with me.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: I hope you love this chat with Laura as much as I did, and I know some of it really hit close to home, such as the need to be liked. If you want to learn more about Laura, I highly recommend checking out her podcast, Kickpod or the kick app. I've put links to both of those in the show notes. If you like today's show, make sure you hit follow on your podcast app to be alerted when new episodes drop. How I Work was recorded on the traditional land of the Warrangery people, part of the cool And Nation