Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order KERNI Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for people who want financial freedom. My name is beck Side and with me, as always is Victoria devine.
Speaker 1: Wan A surprise, h seeing you here, I have What do you do on a Wednesday? That's crazy? I didn't see this coming. How are you?
Speaker 4: Oh, this has never happened before.
Speaker 1: No novel idea.
Speaker 4: Oh absolutely so, V. I don't know if you know what the topic of this episode is today, but we are talking about how you can set up workplace boundaries. So I guess like first things First, how important is setting it boundaries with your employers?
Speaker 1: So yes, I did know what the topic of today was because I set the topic of today.
Speaker 5: I have had too many conversations with friends recently who have had their boundaries like exploited, and I get so frustrated at the idea that you know, people don't respect their team, especially as someone who runs multiple teams.
Speaker 1: I just go hold on, like what are you doing? So I thought the best way to channel my anger was into a podcast. More passion is going to be in this than I think usual, and I think it is so important that we talk about it, whether you're experiencing it or not, just so that we can advocate for ourselves, but also advocate for our friends and our family and give them good advice and tips when they need it. Obviously not unsolicited advice and tips, because if you've been following me on Instagram, I don't really like those. No, we're going to be talking about the typical nine to five, five day a week kind of vibe. But obviously different work environments have very different requirements. But we are talking about your personal boundaries. We're going to be asking the question, what are you comfortable with? How can you define them without feeling like you're letting your employer down, and all of those little things that make you feel as though you really need to say yes to your boss when you don't actually have to, because you don't actually need to do two hours of unpaid labor after work just because they ask nicely, You really don't.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of people are going to need this episode today. I feel like it is going to be really useful. But why is it good to talk about this?
Speaker 1: It's obviously good to talk about it because we don't want to be taken advantage of. But beck your job takes up maybe like eighty percent of your week, right if you're working five days a week, which we know quite a few people do a four day week now, which is very nice for them, and it's great if it works, but it's really important that you're not burning yourself out and letting more important aspects of your life go down the drain in order for you to appease your workplace, who technically should only be getting you for that thirty eight hours, but somehow they're getting sixty wild. So yes, work is obviously important. It is what provides you within income, which obviously is very important to live your life, but boundaries are also critical to focusing on other areas like maintaining your physical and your mental and your spiritual health. But if you really love your job, work can often be like an area of your life where all of these things are benefited. But if you're on the other foot and work is just you know, what you do to pay the bills and put food on the table, I think you need to be finding time for yourself and for other parts of your life that bring joy. And to me, that is super super critical, and I think so so many times. We need to actually understand that delineation. Because it is okay to have a job where you go, it's just my job. I do it during the day. It pays me well because I get my nourishment outside of that. It's actually okay as well. If you're like move like I see that you're talking about boundaries basically married to my job because I'm obsessed with it, that's okay. But what we want you to know is this is all about consent really and choice and being given the choice and being able to make it. Like so many times when I worked, you know, even corporately, I was putting in so many more hours than I should and once I realized why, I could strip them back. But then there were also those hours that I'd put in because they made me feel better. So I'd be like, all right, well, you know, not meant to be working on a Sunday, But if I spend an hour on a Sunday going through my calendar, going through my emails, I'm gonna have a better week. And for me, my mental health is so much better when I feel in control. And that was something where a lot of people would be like, I can't believe you're working on a Sunday. But I'd be like, well, actually, I'd much prefer to do that hour on a Sunday, said I'm setting myself up for the week. So we're not saying draw these hard lines and you know, don't do anything at all. Don't lift a finger. It's five pm, pans in the air, otherwise you'll be in trouble. It's more are you okay with that? Because like if you are, like, it's your choice. Like at the end of the day, we know that Australians put way more time, energy and effort into their roles than any other country in the world, and I think that that comes down to our loyalty and it comes down to our worker thick and all of that. But we also don't want to be taking advantage job. So that's what this podcast is about.
Speaker 4: Beck. Yeah, I totally agree with you. For me, I'm kind of like, you know, I love video editing, so I love a Friday night and it sounds weird where I just have like a red wine.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, No one's gonna annoy you because like, yes, exactly, it's so much fun for me to just like cut up some videos have a red wine.
Speaker 4: But just to clarify it, I mean, I know that I am choosing that, but basically, once it hits five pm, I go home and that's it. But I guess it's not really the case with everyone, is it.
Speaker 1: No, of course not. And sadly it isn't the case for everybody. Like every year. I alluded to this before the Australian Institute Center for Future Work releases their report for Go Home on Time Day and their findings I think are kind of gross. So you know, I was like, oh, Australian's putting more time, energy and effort, Like it's not me being like, oh, what a flex? Like we all know how I feel about that. I think I've said before. If you have a full time job and somehow you're doing like fifty hours a week, like, that's not a flex. Like if someone says to me, oh my god, yep, like I work for this, you know, standard corporate role. I know they're meant to be employed for thirty eight hours a week. If they go, yeah, I do like sixty hours a week, it's like such a finance briefing to say, I'll be like, oh, wow, so you're not very good at time management then, like it's not a flex back like I know.
Speaker 4: Or you're neglecting a lot of your time.
Speaker 1: Oh you're neglecting other parts of your life. Oh, your employer's taking advantage of you. Like, no, that's not a flex. Let's reframe that. But that report, Beck found that the average working Australian is missing out on eleven thousand and fifty five dollars a year or four hundred and twenty five dollars per fortnite due to unpaid overtime WHOA. That equals around five point four hours of unpaid work that Australians are doing each and every single year. And because I am the drama, let's make this statistic even worse. This means that Australian employees are losing accumulative one hundred and thirty one million dollars to unpaid work every year. Why how we need some boundaries. I could do a lot with one hundred and thirty one million dollars.
Speaker 4: It wouldn't hurt to have an extra couple hundred every fortnight.
Speaker 1: But like, that's what we're doing, Like you're doing unpaid work, Like, why don't you just go get a job driving you know, Uber deliveries. At least you're being paid for that work if you've got the time. Clearly you do. And that's obviously very entitled and privileged to say.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: I just want to check that because I think some people will be like I have to, Like, my industry demands it, yes, but it shouldn't be, should it. You're being taken advantage of. It's not nice to hear that, right, No one wants to hear like, oh, you're being taken advantage of. They're like, oh, but like this is how we get ahead in my industry. Yeah, but why is that the case?
Speaker 4: Exactly? That's so that is so bad. So yeah, like it is kind of bizarre that, you know, the average Aussie is putting in the work but not really getting the reward out, which is probably why this episode exists, and this is why boundary.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I guess I have spoken about it before. I am an employer, and look, I know there are times that you might need to log on to do some extra man hours and you know, shout out to my team. They are legends. Like sometimes I will log on and be like, why are you online? Like I can see that you're online, like, get off the internet, and they're like, oh, I'm just fixing up such and such. And I try to advocate for them as much as possible, and I'll be like, beck, actually I really would prefer if you're not online, Like I know that you're just trying to do something, but like, I don't want to be taking advantage of you, And obviously I always try to re rate that. But my team also have really flexible working hours, so essentially they work the hours that suit them. Yes, they have a full time job, but if one of them goes, ah, I don't really feel like working this morning, have no client meetings, so I'm gonna start at ten, you do you? Yeah, they'll have to work later. So sometimes I have to be like what time did you start? Like is this you making up time? Like is this actually a choice and it's actually part of your thirty eight hours a week? Or is this you literally doing overtime? Which sometimes it's one or the other. But I think it's really important, especially as an employer, to respect your employees. Like the more that you respect them, the more that they respect you and your business. Like, to me, it's wild that employers just demand this level of respect because they're the business owner. So what I say goes and that to me, so itck it's like what makes you better than anybody else?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like, oh, ill are And like we work a busy job and they are obviously busy times of the year and my team gets that and I really try to make sure that they have a good work life balance. Like you know, last year during International Women's Day, we had a whole series of events and that required so much manpower, but like there was compromise. They got additional days off. Lots of places don't do that, and that blows my mind. And if my team need to go to appointments and stuff, or they want to take a longer lunch to catch up with like some family, or they might have a friend in town or something. Why wouldn't they do that? Like my team at adults beck get this, so I treat them like adults.
Speaker 4: That is wild.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's an actual insane concept for a lot of people that, oh, you're an adult, Well you know, do you have the capacity to take it to our lunch break? They might go yeah, yeah, because I'm going to work until seven tonight, or I'm gonna do this, or I'm going to do that. I'm gonna make it great. Like you're not taking the mickey out of me, but you're still having a good work life balance. Does that not mean that you're probably gonna like your job?
Speaker 4: Or yeah?
Speaker 1: Insane to me, But I think it's a give and take relationship that needs to be had between employees and employers. And you obviously just can't take take from employees. And yeah, yes, at the crux of it, you are paying them to do a job, but they have lives. They need to be respected and when you show them that, to me, it's always come back in spades. Yeah, Like my team have always been so supportive of me, so supportive of you know, the business as a whole. And I think that that starts from the top, like it starts from giving them that respect to begin with and going well, actually, you know, don't be silly. We have a recording day that day. We can't take that day off, and that's fine. But if there's flexibility to be had and they need it, go forth.
Speaker 4: In yonder, I completely agree. It's great for everything stuff moral. I just feel like you're obviously a very good employer. My boss is the best boss I've ever had, and so I feel like, in general, it's not me, you're one of them.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't get weck full time. She actually loves video editing for aarn I've tried, as it worked.
Speaker 4: Yet well either way, I mean, we're surrounded by really good people, but there are some people out there that actually kind of have bosses. They don't really share that same perspective. They maybe have like an old school way of dealing with leading the team and stuff like that. It's really easy to say, let's set boundaries when people are like us and like my boss, But there are some people that don't have that. How would you suggest they set boundaries if they're in that situation.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's also a two way street. So I think about it. And I have managed larger teams than the team I have today, and I have had some really challenging circumstances where employees do take the mickey and you do have to kind of enforce boundaries and be like, all right, well, this level of flexibility that I've given you is you know, not just being taken for granted, but being taken for an absolute ride. You do need to turn up to work at eight am. Your hours are eight am to you know, five pm or whatever it is, and I need you to be there at that time and be present and not take the mickey. And you know, you can't just go, oh, actually, I'm just going to work from home today because I've decided that I can work from home. You know, my boss is pretty flexible when in your calendar is like an all hands meeting that everybody was meant to be there in person for I think there needs to be some level of like give and take, Like you've got boundaries. I totally understand it, but you're not the only person in this relationship. And so back to your question, I think there are heaps of ways to implement different boundaries. But let's go to a break. Actually, Okay, on the flip side, I'll tell you all about how to set them and keep them and maintain them.
Speaker 4: Good call. Okay, guys, we are back and V left us on a bit of a cliffhanger. So we've established that Aussies are putting in extra hours of work every week I mean some weeks. Hopefully not every week, but.
Speaker 1: Well for a lot of people every week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of people every week.
Speaker 1: Like it's the reality again, sometimes it's the hustle. Like I totally share it, Like we need to question the hustle.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Sevi, can you please sell us what can we actually do to protect our brains from thinking non stop about work and set up healthy boundaries?
Speaker 1: All right, Beck, we are going to first sit down and we're going to recondo our lives a little bit. What's but story for you? Like, what do you love doing? I want you to list all of that out and have a think about it. Is your friends, your family? Is it you know, Beck, you've really gotten into the gym. You love that, whatever it might be, let's figure it out and be really clear on that. Then we're going to implement actual physical things that you can do in order to make sure that your boundaries are clear to your employer so that you can genuinely enjoy these areas of your life that fulfill you. I think there needs to be also a clear delineation of not being rude, like getting up and walking out at five pm and being like, well I'm done. That's not going to win you any friends, is it. So I've got a list. We love a list. Would you like me to take you through it?
Speaker 4: Love a list?
Speaker 1: We love a list. I've got ADHD so I list every thing? So first things First, big suggestion is muting your emails or work notifications in general.
Speaker 4: Good one.
Speaker 1: I'm not good at this, so like do I say? Or as I do? I have so many work notifications. Please Also remember I'm the business owner. I'm also a control freak. That's like I need to know what's coming in and out at all times. Also, if something hits the fan, I need to be the first on it because that's my responsibility as the owner. Turns out, Beck, that's not your responsibility. If it happens after hours, you should be able to fix it within business hours. If it's a genuine emergency, it should be going to me as the owner or the manager of that and not pestering you. It's not your responsibility out of ours, right, Like unless I'm paying an on call fee for you, where it's like, oh, Beck, if something hits the fan and you know you need to spend three hours fixing it, Like, don't worry, you'll get overtime. You'd be like, slay, I love money, But that's not the case for most employees. Is that totally saying My team loves is that there are never any emergencies in marketing. So like my team user all the time, especially when I'm flustered. They'll be like, there's no such thing as an emergency in marketing. It's true, yeah, Like we use it all the time. Like there's no such thing as an emergency in podcasting, right, There's no such thing as an emergency marketing, Like, I do not care what your beliefs are that works for us, because I'm not conducting brain surgery that is a genuine emergency unless like I mean, you are actually a doctor and you're listening to this and you are trying to draw boundaries and like your on call, like page, you went off because you have to go do brain surgery. That's actually a different story than us. But if you're off the clock, you switch off like we can deal with it tomorrow. And I think that that has maintained really healthy boundaries between my team and I, but also my team and my clients. And you know, clients sometimes get out of hand. None of the ones we're currently working with, don't worry, but sometimes clients get out of hand, and they'll email you at nine pm and be like, hey, so that campaign that's going live tomorrow, we've actually decided to change the script completely. You go, well, actually, I'll get back to you at nine am after it's gone live and we can amend it then, because I am not going to have my team working at midnight to fix the script that you guys had already signed off on, Like I'm quite clear about that, because that is not worth the mental stress for my team. And also I know that we communicate clearly. We set boundaries with our clients. I gave them sign off weeks prior. This is not an emergency. There's literally nothing more draining and consuming when you are constantly seeing emails popping up related to work. So let's just make sure that there are practical ways of shutting off while you're in your downtime, because for most jobs, it's not an emergency.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also another person's sense of urgency, so whether that is you're manager or a client, does not constitute an emergency on your behalf.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So like, just because someone else is flustered about it and stressed about it does not mean you have to take that on. Go okay, cool, hold on, let's step back. Is this, in the grand scheme of things, actually an emergency? No, I'll deal with that tomorrow morning. Thank you so much for looping me in.
Speaker 4: It's so hard, so hard to let energy and not let it overtake you.
Speaker 1: In the moment. It's really hard. But I think that once we start to talk about it and learn more and go, well, actually, you're right. I get so stressed when I see my manager's emails coming through at nine pm. Turn them off. Yeah, you owe them, not anything at nine pm. The next is I want you to set the boundaries with your boss and your coworkers. So let's say you're outside of working hours and your boss decides to text you rather than email or send it on Slack and you feel like you need to address it immediately, you actually don't, so what I would do. We're kind like, we're not being rude here, We're not setting boundaries and then yelling at people for crossing them. Hey, no worries, Thanks so much for looping me in. I'll actually get to this first thing tomorrow morning. As soon as you start responding to work related requests outside of business hours, that kind of becomes the expectation, and employers are and do and will take advantage of this.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: Like at the end of the day, Beck, if I'm texting you at nine pm and going, oh, I really would love to xyz and you go, oh, yeah, yeah, I'll do it right now, Like I'll go, oh, Beck's fine to do that. Yeah, obviously, I'm not going to take it antage of you like that. Don't worry. But I think you texting and being like, yeah, that sounds epic. I'll get onto it tomorrow morning. Just a little reminder that I'm not working right now. I'm not in front of a laptop right now. You could be anywhere. It's your personal time, so it's personal information. The next is put on your email signatures I guess when you're available and when you're not. So Jess. In our team, we all know Jess. She's on the Friday EPs. She's really good at this. So if she's in a studio, she puts on an email like out of office that says, thanks for the email, I'm actually out of office today. I'm in the studio recording and I'll get back to you asap. If it's an emergency, here's Maddie's contact details and she can deal with it. So I like that she kind of sets a boundary but also communicates it. It's not just going, well, I'm in the studio, so I'm clearly not going to get back to my emails today, but she sets that out of office so that you know, if a client does an email during genuine work hours, they're like, oh, she's actually busy with another work task or another work thing. And to me, this is really important because if you've communicated this, then perfect. But the expectation is there, not on Jess to get back to them that day, Like you've set an expectation and it kind of avoids you getting home and feeling like you need to get back to everybody because you miss quote a work day, but Jess was working all day. It's just a different task and she didn't have time for it during that working period, and that is so fine. The next beck, do not disturb massive sign stick it on your forehead. But that's an option on your phone as well to turn on focus. So I use the focus thing on my phone all the time. And it means that if people text you, it will notify them that your notifications are turned off, and therefore they won't expect action until it's clearly at a time that works for you.
Speaker 4: That is a big source of my anxiety, but it's good that they let people know that notifications are Have you ever.
Speaker 1: Text me after hours? It happens on my phone, So if you text me at like nine pm, yeah, it will like not send a reply, but under your messages it will have a littleation and it will say Victoria has her notification silence.
Speaker 4: Yes, I have seen those. That is really really good. I mean it should always be you can text me.
Speaker 1: It's fine. Like, I don't know if you guys know this, but I have ADHD and sometimes I get in brain dump mode and I'm like, far, it would be great if they did abc D E FG. And I'm not in the mind frame of going like, oh, it's nine pm. Probably shouldn't be worrying Beck. I'm just like, I want to get that to Beck so she can deal with it tomorrow. Sure, usually I'll just message it to you on Slack or whatever so that you know it's a work channel and you shouldn't have those notifications on anyway. But I think it's really important to remember that maybe they are just brain dumping. Maybe they're just going, oh shit. I do need to remember to get back to do that for tomorrow. But then I'll get the notification that says Beck has her notification silence, and I'll be like, great, well, at least the message was delivered. She can look at it later. Yes, Like that's fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I kind of like that.
Speaker 1: Next thing on my list, this is number five. Ye begin to be assertive and honest about the opacity that you actually have.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is like really.
Speaker 1: Attacking you personally, because how many times Beck and I try not to do this to you. But I know that if someone said, hey, Beck, have you got a minute, what do you say?
Speaker 4: Yes, definitely, I have several of them. Yeah, but do you no, not all we don't have.
Speaker 1: A minute, you don't and it's okay to say no. So if you've been working an hour overtime every day for the past week, I need you to communicate with your manager and express that you have plans like for five point thirty and that you'll be knocking off work at an appropriate time tonight. Like I know that you shouldn't have to articulate that, but like, if you've set the expectation, we need to reset the expectation in not a you've been taking advantage of me way like just go oh hey, like I'll be leaving at five point thirty on time tonight. Sorry, I've got a dinner and you can do that whenever you want, but like it might make you feel a little bit better about having to be like, oh I can't do this. Yeah, you've shown up, You've done your best at work that day, and now I need you to go and enjoy your cocktail in pace like really really important. But also I think the whole be honest about your capacity is really important. So if your manager, for example, is just loading you up and being like, oh beck, Also, here's another thing I think going they just wanted to talk about my capacity like, so happy to do this. That sounds like a really fun task. Actually, but I have ABCDF. Just looking at my week, I'm not going to be able to deliver all of those. What are your priorities? Do you want me to mix this in? Do you want me to make this the top priority?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What ones are actually important? Because nine times out of ten can almost guarantee that your manager has forgotten what they have allocated to you this week and you've just bitten off more than you can chew. But also it's a clear reminder to them that you cannot get the work done in the period of time that has been allocated. Maybe it needs to be reallocated. Maybe we need to stretch out some timeframes and be like, oh my god, beg, that is actually a lot of stuff. How about we just make it due in two weeks instead of one, Like, let's talk about these things so that you're not putting unnecessary pressure on yourself. Like I just remember my corporate days and being so triggered because I would have so many things put on my plate, but I'd never say no, and I'd never tell them that my capacity was too much, and then I'd be like, but they gave me all this work and I have to do it this week because they said it was due Friday, and like I'd stress myself out. Why didn't I have those conversations about like, oh hey, like I'm actually like fully booked this week to get Project ABC done. I know they want me to take on Project D, but like at what cost?
Speaker 4: Right? I guess it is really good to look through that list and see that there are actually so many practical ways of doing it without the anxiety of like a sit down conversation. You can yeah, literally just like pop your phone on, do not disturb or mute your emails, like things like that.
Speaker 1: Does there have to be aggressive?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: And when we say b assotive, it's just more like, oh, hey, like we're not being rude or me or anything. I'd love to do that, but I have four other projects on the goal at the moment, like jump me to prioritize this one or deprioritize it. And sometimes if you're working in like a nine to five job, there might be multiple people giving you multiple different things, and like you don't know what I've been given by you know, analysa our producer versus Jess or you know, Gabby, you have no idea what's on my plate this week. So when you ask for something and I go, well, Beck, how important is it? You go, oh, well, actually it's really important for it's for this. I go, okay, cool, Now I need to like reschedule my week, and I might need to go back to Gabby and be like, Hey, this other important thing has popped up. Do you mind if I look at this other thing next week? And that's fine, But it's about setting that expectation, not just assuming I'll take on more. I'll take on more. I'll take on more. And that's where good diary management can come in. Yeah, like time block. If I don't time block, I would be absolutely cooked back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, And I think like it's good that you mentioned that you're not being mean or I think that a source of anxiety for a lot of people is that they might come across as like they're not as committed to their work. It doesn't actually mean that at all, does it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Absolutely not, And I think that that's where we need to talk, maybe not with our manager directly about boundaries, but even just the communication of it, like having those like, oh, Beck, I really want to do a good job on that, but I've got these other things on which ones priority. Because it's saying in a way without having to say it, I'm not going to be working until ten pm every night to get this done, so like when is it going to get done? And I think that that is absolutely fine, but at the end of the day, you need to protect your piece and a lot of employers not all, but as a business owner, I know that when my team is feeling refreshed and respected, they are so much more likely to perform at a higher level and deliver amazing outcomes for the team because they actually feel good, they feel rested, they feel excited for work rather than drained and overwhelmed and all consumed. And I genuinely think that that's what employers should be striving for because ultimately it benefits them absolutely, like you're telling me, and not all employers are going to agree with this. One of my employees up all night with one of their kids. They're overwhelmed, they are just so done, they had next to no sleep. You're telling me that the best thing for everyone here is that they still turn up at eight thirty for work the next morning. I haven't got any client meetings so there's no like real commitment there. You're telling me that it's not better to have my team member go do you know what, I'm going to drop the kids off to daycare, get rid of them because that was the worst night. I'm going to go back to bed till ten am. Then I'm going to go to work. I'll do some work later. You're telling me that's not a better outcome.
Speaker 4: Absolutely would be what are.
Speaker 1: You guys on if that's not a better outcome? Like a well rested employee who you know, comes in switched on, feels like they had that flexibility, feels like they were respected, is going to give so much more even if they're at work, you know, for a less period of time and they're making it up later.
Speaker 4: Like for sure, right, the feeling of being an equal and valued part of the team is so valuable. But I also want to like, no, this is you know, maybe not so relevant for me. But if there's a business owner listening out there, what do you think their takeaway should be?
Speaker 2: Dick?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so four business owners? Treat your employees like the adult humans that they are, Like, you're not employing twelve year olds because one that would be illegal if you are, you really need to probably look at yourself in the mirror, but also treat your employees just like the adults. They have lives, and they have good days and they have bad days, and yes, you need to show up for you between nine and five every day, but reward them when they are working over time, thank them for going above and beyond. Like I totally get it. You might be a small business and you're like, oh, this is so awkward, but like some of my teamwork over time and I actually really need them to, but I can't afford to pay them one. That's not cool. You need to work that out, but like, at least vocalize that you're grateful. At least I'd be like a lot better. Honestly, thank you so much. I know you don't have to, you know, I really really appreciate it, and like you again don't have to, but I think just feeling like you're valued is really important as well. And if they are going above and beyond, talk to them about that and just be like, I am so grateful, I really appreciate this. You know what, where possible, will remunerate them pay over time if that's part of it. But at the end of the day, they're going over and above for your business, for you, and that should be rewarded.
Speaker 2: Hm.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, what are you reaoning about employees?
Speaker 1: So for employees, communication is obviously the key. Like setting your boundaries, it can be hard, but from little things, big things. Gross start with really small boundaries. Manage expectations from the get go, though, to protect your peace, take the practical steps, but also just communicate with your employer if they don't respect you as a human being going through life, honestly, get a new job. Find someone who values you. There's lots of places out there. I know that that is the hard reality of it, because so many people will be like Betsy, it's such a good job. I'm getting such a good experience at what cost? At what cost?
Speaker 4: Absolutely so.
Speaker 1: I think we need to talk about that more and more regularly. But what we need to be doing is setting boundaries.
Speaker 4: I love that. I think that's a really good place to leave it for today.
Speaker 1: I do think so too. So have a good week, guys. We will see you bright and early on Friday morning. Until then, love you bye, guys.
Speaker 6: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 1: If you do choose to buy a financial product.
Speaker 6: Read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 1: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 6: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money. Sheirper pty Ltd ABN three two one IS six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine se