Speaker 1: Here at two good Sports. We would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which we record this podcast, the Werenurie people. This land was never seated, always was, always will be. Set Den Girker, News Nouble Ran Jame Jelmy. It's a day we will never forget.
Speaker 2: It is the greatest day in Australian Games history, a history that dates back to eighteen ninety six. Australia has never missed a Games and yet we wake up today Georgie at our most successful ever Australian campaign because we have eighteen gold medals and it's been the most golden day that we've ever had. We've won four gold and two bronze to take our tally to just the most beautiful thing you've ever seen.
Speaker 1: We're still top three. We are still a top three superpower in the world USA, China, Australi. Australi in at number three with eighteen golds in total, twelve silvers, eleven bronze, forty one medals overall, we're above the host nation in France. If everything is looking, if the greens look greener today, dear listener, if the golds look golder, that's because they are.
Speaker 2: They are.
Speaker 1: We need to just truly emphasize how monumental the performances overnight have been.
Speaker 2: It's a shift, it's oh, it's a shift in how Australia are viewed internationally in field and track. Have I flipped it for today? Sure you are, because just the success that we've seen, and we're going to get through who won gold, because we're going to start off with Nina Kennedy.
Speaker 1: Oh in the pole vault, Nina, Nina nin.
Speaker 2: If there was any athlete outside of the pool heading into these Games where anything other than gold would have felt like a loss, yes it was Nina.
Speaker 1: Yes, one thousand percent. And tell me not to give ourselves anah about on the back. But I'm gona do it. Because who did we talk to in the lead up to these games as someone to watch because they were going to be one of the golden favorites? Ah Kennedy.
Speaker 2: So she's now won our first ever female field gold in Games history. Incredible?
Speaker 1: Like what the twenty seven year old from Bustleton? Am I pronouncing it right?
Speaker 2: She's from Busselton, Bustle, Western Australia and we will claim her. She's twenty seven years old. And the final went for an epic three and a half hours.
Speaker 1: Which, jellmy, you did call that this was going to be a marathon event. Twenty girls, there's a million competitors in this. You add warm up to that, I mean a marathon event. Actually went for the length of two marathons, so shout it all up.
Speaker 2: She was a reigning world champion, but she split the gold at the World Champs with Katie Moon. Yes, and she had become our nemesis because firstly, we love her because they both had a chat and they decided to split the gold.
Speaker 1: But we like her when it works for us.
Speaker 2: She is the defending champion, she is American, and it was her missing her final jump that secured the gold for Nina, and Nina went berserve.
Speaker 1: Oh, she went absolutely ballistic. But also Nina had to fight back to win this crown because surprisingly she failed to clear her first vault. It was four point seven was the height, which for her really is child's play, but she did not complete her first attempt. She stuffed that up, which meant that she was seventh in the field. However, then she bounced back very very strongly to I don't think she missed until the final, the final jump of four point nine. I think she was like straight away and that is where you know that she's a champion.
Speaker 2: And Nina Kennedy's one of those athletes where athletics has been her life. She started a little lasts at ten, was identified very young and she said she was lucky that she was a really talented junior because she was picked up by the Ais.
Speaker 1: Can't relate.
Speaker 2: And she's been really heavily supported, but she has had hardship Georgia and the fact that for the twenty sixteen Games, her family all bought tickets because at the World Champs she had jumped what would be a qualifying height, but then she didn't clear the height, so she never got to go to Rio. Her family did, but she had challenges going it isn't it isn't it? And then also going in Tokyo because she was West Australian, she couldn't travel everywhere anywhere and everything shut down. So she has had all of these challenges. Baiting the thing that I love about this she's never won an individual title. What it's always been split. It's always like she's never outright won the golden coming into this, she did interviews where they're like, you're the best in the world, and she'd say kinder because she's split it. But now it is outright gold for Australia and she has etched her name into the record books as our first ever female Champion of Field. And if you glance down the other end of the stage de France, there was another Australian on the podium and just the fact that there was Green and Gold competing at the same time. We'll get to Matthew Denny later because we've got so many goals to get through, but this in terms of bringing track and field, and we've talked about this Georgie. There's a reason why Australians loved the first week of the Games because you know that Ozzie is going to be there and around the medals in Nepool. It's just the way that we are. Yeah, all of a sudden, do we dare to think that this is Australia going forward? Oh?
Speaker 1: I think it has to be. Oh, I think it has to be. You talk about a shift. It really is the most impressive thing I think about Nina Kennedy for me is yes, all of those hardships mentally, I don't think we talk mentally. We don't talk enough about how hard pole vault is. Mentally. Yes, we obviously know physically it takes a toll on your body. This woman has come back from multiple back stress fractures, so it's literally an event that has broken her back for her to get where.
Speaker 2: She is, and it's never fully healed.
Speaker 1: It's never fully healed. And you just heard that in the screen that she released when Katie Moon missed it and she knew that she had one gold and it was this guttural like she couldn't believe it. She was also celebrating with another Golden Girl, Jess Fox in the front row of the stud de France, who was there to watch her. And I am so excited for Nina Kennedy and I'm so excited that Australia will now know her as a household name.
Speaker 2: And we said this in the lead up when we previewed Nina God, I want to have a beer with her.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yeah, she's one of the girls. Well you call her a girl from Bassa, I'm like, I'm a gal.
Speaker 2: She's taking one of the girls. She's just got wonderful chat. And again you talk about the mentality of it. She's just said I'm enough without it. Yeah, she's just got that mental strength that we see with athletes at this level. And again, just find me a better role model.
Speaker 1: Oh and also, I would say, if you're feeling like a particularly masochistic kind of day, just watch her Instagram videos of her training. Oh my gosh, oh my goodness. The woman is a gladdy.
Speaker 2: Atina, we love you. The pressure was on and Australia screamed with you this morning. It was just unbelievable. But Georgie, we've just got so much more gold to get through.
Speaker 1: Keep the screams coming because our new favorite event that Jelmy and I we are armchair experts on the sailing. Don't you worry about that because we have another gold medal. Mattworn, who we have been talking about this week saying he's guaranteed a medal. He's in the final. What color is it? He's the defending champion from Tokyo.
Speaker 2: He delayed, final, delayed, delayed, enough win, what's happening?
Speaker 1: And going on?
Speaker 2: Gold?
Speaker 1: Gold, gold to Mattworn in the men's dinghy. Now, they had a few days out in the water in Marseille. They've had a few days out of the water in Marseille waiting for the perfect conditions. The twenty eight year old put himself in the perfect place during this gold medal race. However, the race actually had to be abandoned about seventy percent of the way through because the wind had dropped too low. So you're in position, your position, and you're nearly literally thirty percent of the race to go, and they say, Soul's boys, that's.
Speaker 2: The stay, and let's just do it again. Do you reckon? He was going about mental resilience.
Speaker 1: I'll get it, I'll get the wind back, I'll.
Speaker 2: Get that's got the portable fan.
Speaker 1: He's like, we can't do it.
Speaker 2: Come on, But he's not short of fans after that performance, again defending his gold medal that we did see in Tokyo. But he suffered from long COVID after Tokyo. It needed to take a break away from the sport. In early twenty two his bed ridden, struggling to perform the basic tasks, and he admits he even thought that he wouldn't get to Paris because it took him so long to get his fitness back.
Speaker 1: And I think for these this is why we say it again and again and again. But this is why we love sport. There's no greater story in sport than when you have to overcome adversity, and most sporting stories have that. So once again we are seeing an athlete who consider giving away his sport or maybe just not competing at this level anymore. But one thing, one factor, as it usually does happen, his family and for him, his wife also competes in this class of sailing, so oh high achieve its my goodness. So she would have been a big factor and a big driving force and motivating factor in him continuing on, and in most incredible scenes, she was on hand to celebrate with him. In Marseille.
Speaker 2: We remember that in Tokyo he would have won gold and had no one to know.
Speaker 1: One there, had no one, and now he got.
Speaker 2: To celebrate the gold after going through the journey and having a partner with long covid to be so difficult because.
Speaker 1: You just see them. You're used to seeing someone at the peak of their physical ability, the peak, and then for someone to be bedridden, the person that you love, and now to see them back on that podium and the top spot on the podium.
Speaker 2: I've got girls Pump speaking of defending champions Georgie, it's your pet sport.
Speaker 1: What a segue. The skateboarding famously love it, all of it, all iterations of it.
Speaker 2: Never said other do not go back and check the records. But Keegan Palmer, the twenty one year old, is now a duel gold medalist for Australia.
Speaker 1: And I was watching this event overnight and I was watching the qualification round before they went into the final, and Keegan was behind. He was sitting in like third, and then he got up to a second and then he produced one of the greatest runs you'll see in the park event. And I thought, Keegan, have we wasted this? Have we wasted this on the qualification? Yeah, he's gotta save it, save it, freeze it, yeah it freeze it. I was like, let's give him the gold now. I needn't have worried because he had three runs in the final. We're very familiar with this event since Arissa True one gold just a day ago, but he kind of did the opposite of Arissa. Arissa saved her gold medal run for her third and last run. Keign pulled it off in the first. So ninety three point one point one he delivered in his flawless opening run and that was enough to win the event.
Speaker 2: And amazingly, he was like, I wanted to have a solid first run because I had so many tricks to pull out for the rest of it. Yeah, so it gave him the freedom to go, I'm going to have a crack at something I probably won't land. Heret and he didn't. Yeah, but it didn't matter matter. He landed on the top of the podium. And a shout out to the amazing commentators of the skateboarding. It's just been such a joy to listen to, but now so fun. The gymnastics is winding down. Obviously, the Star Powers have decided that the skateboardings for the snakeboardings for them, because of course we know that Tony Hawk was going to be their dev and booker Leon.
Speaker 1: Marshall, Oh, Leon Marshall.
Speaker 2: And Landon Norris or just chouting to the twenty one year old And this is the bit that I love. He could have chosen to represent America.
Speaker 1: That is one of my favorite things about this story as well. Jelmy, I've got it written here because he is based in San Diego and when you hear him interviews is thick. It is a thick San diego An accent. He sounds American and you're like, hang on, Hasso, how does this happen? But Keegan has always been very firm that he wants to represent Australia and loves to represent Australia because Australia is where he first learned how to skate. So just a kid on the Gold Coast, he learned how to walk there. He learned how to talk there. Not in that accent, but he learned how to talk.
Speaker 2: Peter risa drue just coming from the Gold Coast Goldie medals, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Coming from the goalie representing, and I think that he is honestly one of the coolest cucumbers that you've ever encounted.
Speaker 2: Speaks so well.
Speaker 1: He has that I know he's Australian, but he has that American talent. Like he's a journalist's dream. You want to chat to this guy because he's just like, yeah, you know, I pulled out the goligue and then I did that whatever the hell they're called with the I forgot the kick the kickflip thing. As you know, I've.
Speaker 2: Also never felt older. He drops dude in every second sentence, which again is why we're just so indeared to the skateboarders. And if Australia wasn't so successful in the skateboarding, would we love it? Potentially not, But now no, the vert and the vert for some more chances because two of our gold medal tally thanks to the skateboarding, and we won't have it said that it shouldn't be in the game.
Speaker 1: No, never, never, We love it so much. Something that is a sport that is absolutely ingrained in games culture, and I would say Australian games culture is the cycling a track cycling in particular, the Australian men's pursuit team pulled off one of the best goals of the Games. And considering we've won more than we ever have, that is saying something.
Speaker 2: You said that Keegan peaked too early. These guys had a world record in getting through to the gold Metal massage and you're like, guys, if you could just do that again, it would be a world record, and they did it and Georgie three West Australians among them. If you don't mind, Oh yeah, I knew, I knew you would be on a bad wa Here.
Speaker 1: She goes here, she goes. So the team Sam Welsford, Connor Lay, Oliver Bleden and Kell O'Brien the first Ossie team to win this event in twenty years. You may remember the scenes from Tokyo where a different iteration of this team but the same events. We were racing. The handlebars of Alex Porter fell off the bike. I remember that being like.
Speaker 2: Sorry, and he was putting his full weight as they do, leaning on the bars and it just came off. Yeah, something that would happen when your dad put together your tricycle, potentially not at games level, and it did cost them greatly, so they ended up taking out the bronze and it was something that their coach has said, we've been to helen back with this group. We had so much talent heading into Tokyo and people will forget what happened there, but we were such a strong team and we ended up coming third and they've had to rebuild in that time to come out and be well the best in the.
Speaker 1: World, because it is a sport where it takes generational talent and everything to fall into place for you to pull off these results. So there's an argument that they had that in place in Tokyo. They got bronze. Now they had it again. They found a new type of generational talent to win the gold and I think really Sam Welsford, part of the team, summed it up beautifully post race when he said I wanted it so effing bad.
Speaker 2: We need to do a compilation of Australians knowing that they're going to be on air swearing it's the Beep Games, It's the most Aussie sport of all. Can they bring it in for La because we would nail it.
Speaker 1: He didn't even double take. He was just like, yeah, that's the word I meant.
Speaker 2: I'm a world record holder and a gold man as of the last forty eight hours. I'll say what I like.
Speaker 1: So that counted one, two, three, four. Nina Kennedy, matt worn Keegan Bama and our track team.
Speaker 2: And if you thought our cyclists had good chat enter the arena, our first ever Australian medalist in the discus, Yes.
Speaker 1: Bronze, we love a bronze. Matthew Denny take about I've called him mister congeniality one. That is the only term I think that best summarizes him as a human. Because also, yes, Nina Kennedy, when she won her goal, she was hugging Jess Fox, she was hugging everyone. It was all very exciting. There was also gentle giant that came up to her and said.
Speaker 2: Did you win?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she was like, I won, and he gave her this big hugain like lifted her up, having only just secured himself a medal in his own event. And he's one of those guys that you just want to be his friend. We mentioned that on the podcast yesterday. In his post event interview, he got really really emotional though, Yeah he did. I think it was only just starting to sink in that he'd pulled this off.
Speaker 2: And he'd pulled off something again that an Australian had never done. So I think the gravity again has ever a bronze felt like a rose gold than what it did for Matthew Denny. He finished fourth in Tokyo, so he got so close to breaking that elusive medal and getting on the medal tally then, but he actually won the Diamond League final. And what we love about him and what I know you love about him, he's just a big, lovable Queenslander.
Speaker 1: He came out so we know, you know when the athletes get announced and they do their big run out and we used to like Noah Lyles, like just pretending he's like black panther basically right, yeah, yeah, everyone love me. What Matthew Denny did, He went, and this is a very niche rugby league reference, so I forgive you, dear listener, if you don't know this. He went, that's gold and he put his thumbs up and planted it onto his other hand. That is a footy show rugby league reference. And I thought, my god, Queenslander, he may as well worn roan instead of the green and gold.
Speaker 2: But his throw was sixty nine point three one meters in his second attempt, which is just four centimeters shy of his own personal be so he basically left everything out there. I believe it was a games record for the win. It was unbelievable throw by the Jamaican but which.
Speaker 1: Was seemed absolutely effortless and surprised everyone. He went from eighth to having a games record.
Speaker 2: They are the largest ballerinas you've ever seen.
Speaker 1: You've seen the bureau weetson.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it was wonderful to watch. Matt Denny also did note that anyone, any of his detractors in the lead up to this, anyone who'd ever doubted him. He had this phrase for them, which I think should be etched up on everyone's maybe body, but definitely stadiums around Australia, which was just eat it, Eat it. Anyone who's ever doubted me, who didn't think I could get here, eat it. Because he's got that bronze medal and he's already put Brisbane twenty thirty two in his sight, so hopefully we see him for another two games campaigns.
Speaker 2: All I'm saying is that the parade where the athletes come home, he'd be the one you'd make a b line four to give a high five, because you just feel like he would give you all of himself. He would just be someone who's so present, he's about the people. And it's just a win for the good guys, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It really really is another win for the good guys.
Speaker 2: How is there more medals? There's more medals. There's still another metal. There is our friend Jemimah Jemima, doctor Jemima.
Speaker 1: You may remember, listeners, we have already talked about Jemima Montag because she's secured bronze. Our first Athletics gold of this event in the twenty kilometer individ you Will Walk. She teamed up in a new event in Paris with a man named Ridy and Cowley, three time Games athlete, the marathon race walk mixed relay.
Speaker 2: Rolls off the tongue, rolls.
Speaker 1: Off the tongue and tell me if I ever ever did end up in Hell, if there was a real place called Hell, this would be what I would be doing. Because this this event, apparently there is alternate four to ten kilometer stints of a marathon distance, so each leg is.
Speaker 2: How sore her body is. Oh, and she's already medaled, and that's the thing. She was like, I needed a bit of a carrot, you know, she said to me. My coach said, I'm going to dangle a carrot for you. There's only been four track and field athletes at a Games to get two medals at the championship, and I think you're in for a chance. Then I thought, oh gosh, anytime someone dangles a carrot, the competitor and me just has to take over. So she's like, oh, do I really want this? And then the coach basically said, let's have a crack now.
Speaker 1: Reason, well the reason as well. I mean, let's just add to that history. Let's bring even more context to that because the only other Australian woman who has won two athletics medals at the Single Games was Railing Boil in Munich nineteen seventy two. Little no name, Little no name in the Australian history books. And now Jemima Montag has put herself there.
Speaker 2: And we talked a bit about Jemimah when she won her first medal of the game. Yes, but she is someone who gives a lot back to the community. As you said, she's working in medicine and also travels around to schools educating young girls on the fact that they should continue with sport and athletics. Yeah, and now she's got two shiny bronze to show to these girls, saying, if you stick with it, this is what you can achieve. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think that what does sum her up and that attitude of there is she is part of something bigger than herself, is that in this event, she also said, when I lost motivation to do it for myself and it was really hard, I thought about doing it for Ridz. So her teammate doing it for our coach who was going absolutely bonkers on the sidelines and just doing it.
Speaker 2: Bonkers, bonkers, eat it, eat it, Ridz love it, love it? Is there anything more Australia? Now we do need to touch on otherwise I'll develop a twitch. We're out of the medals and we're into some of the results from yesterday, and again we simply can't get through all of them because it's been a massive day. But Peter bowl, he was flying in the heat as he does. He came out and he was leading it after the first lap and then he just got absolutely overtaken.
Speaker 1: So this is in the eight hundred meters, the early rounds of the eight hundred meters. We have to mention it because I really think that all of our listeners would reach through their phones or listening device whatever they listened to us on and break something if they weren't, like, tell me, what on earth.
Speaker 2: Is happening with Peter the repper chargee. So we have another chance. And again as much as because he did run forth in Tokyo, there was that thought that the next progression for him would be can he possibly meddle? I mean, have I said that a few times? Sure? But he has had injury, he's had a broken lead up to the point where he wasn't allowed to compete and train with fellow athletes because of that band. So he said to himself and in the post race interview for this heat, the fact that a matter games, I'm really proud of that, and I think that again, am I tempering my expectation? Sure, but I'm still number one fan and we will wait to see what he does in the reper charge. And Australian's great at reper charge is what we've learned. We're really good at reperture. We love the reper charge, love the reperchange. Dang is also going to be in that reper charge. And because we started with the gold in the field, it would be rude for us not to wrap up the athletics with another little possibility of maybe and another doctors.
Speaker 1: Can they all do less in the field, because coming up we will have Mackenzie Little and forty two year old Katherine Mitchell surprise packet of the Games competing in the javelin final.
Speaker 2: They've both made it through in her fourth Games.
Speaker 1: So obviously we will continue to bring you the updates of what is going on in everything in the track and the field on.
Speaker 2: The medals in the track, so why not at a javelin? Why wouldn't you? But Serbia were our arch nemesis in the basketball team minus twenty four to forty eight hours ago because they did eliminate the Boomers, but different result for the opals.
Speaker 1: The opals they got one back, they got one back. For US defeated Serbia eighty five to sixty seven, which means that they are going to play in a medal match for the first time since London twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: That's the good news. What's the bad news. It's against the USA. And this is the least fun fact that we've ever said.
Speaker 1: Go on, George Hippy the USA Jelmy, Remember, dear listener, this is a team that actually can't squeeze Caitlyn Clark into it will take her defect. Yeah maybe maybe.
Speaker 2: She Kaitlyn Clark from busso could work.
Speaker 1: Has a nice ring to it when you think about it. Because Team USA they are currently riding or in the midst of, a fifty eight game winning streak at the Games. It dates back to nineteen ninety two. So if you're doing maths, yes, that means that they have won seven straight gold medals in this event and the Opals will be taking on them in the semi final.
Speaker 2: Whatever you know what, George, today we made history that dates back to eighteen ninety six. Right, so who's to say, right, USA? Be afraid?
Speaker 1: Yeah, be afraid, you'd be afraid? Who's afraid?
Speaker 2: You? Should? Should be?
Speaker 1: Should be?
Speaker 2: Are the Sharks terrifying? Usually? But this time the competition is over? But my goodness, they've had such a strong campaign. It was their strongest ever finish in the in the men's water Apollo. They've never gone that deep into the competition at the Games. But it was a heartbreaking loss too after we just said this, this is not great USA.
Speaker 1: Whatever usay whatever. It was a penalty shootout they did very very well. All of our hopes now ride on the Stingers. And also just a psa everyone, if you're not following Tilly Kerns from the Stingers on TikTok and all of the social media, what are you doing with your life? Make sure you do because her game's content is ill it.
Speaker 2: Just to recap that is from a twenty four hour period at a Games four gold and two bronze for our greatest ever day at of Games to take us to our greatest ever gold tally at a Games of eighteen. This team have achieved the unthinkable and there are still days to go of competition and very real medal chances. We previewed and we got excited before the games, and sometimes as a sports fan you need to temper your expectations because you start to look through and you're like Nina Kennedy, she could definitely meddle. Like you go through and you go, well, that should be gold, that should be golden. Sometimes it just doesn't fall that way, but it feels like at this Games, if it could, it does. And today is a day in sporting history in our country. We will never ever forget. George.
Speaker 1: Oh, we will never forget. And also I think it's a day that in the future and this will be gelmy. I can already see it in the future when you havn't a bad day and you're just like, oh, what else could go wrong? I hate everyone, I hate everything. Remember that time that we beat everyone? Oh my god, Remember that time that we won four gold medals in the single day. Remember that time that we won eighteen gold medals at a Games and we still had four days left a competition. Oh that's this day.
Speaker 2: It is this day. And I'm really passionate about track and field athletes getting their jees and it's something that we're seeing on a global stage with docos like Sprint with You, Noah Larles really pushing going, we're the best in the world. Watch US, watch US, engage with US, sponsor US. And for Australian athletes that get their time in the that get their time in the sun once every four years or so, results like this. We know with Australians, we're fickle. We like winners. And do you know what we've shown this game? We bloody well? Are we bloody well? Are Anyway, We've got a preview the next twenty four hours that's coming up next. I'm a little emotional.
Speaker 1: Jelmy has wiped away the tears from her eyes, but they may reform. Let's be honest, because we have so much more athletics action coming up tonight.
Speaker 2: Jelmy, are they tears or sleep? Because at this point I can't remember last time I shut my eyes. I'm looking fresh. I'm so glad this isn't a visual medium because it has been a big twenty four hours but it's another big twenty four hours coming up because you have the women's for By one hundred meter relay round one as Tory Lewis, Ella Connolly, Ebonie Lane and Brie Masters. You remember Bree as our semi finalist if you don't mind. So this is a big watch. It's the first Australian's women's sprint team since Sydney two thousand.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited to watch this Gelby too. You don't usually see the Aussies in the relays, at least not in the finals, right or we haven't got used to seeing it, so I'm thrilled that we're even making a presence.
Speaker 2: If you're telling me there's a chance, we're happy to have it. There is more than a chance. Jess Whole in the fifteen hundred meters. Now, if you haven't watched the men's fifteen hundred meters final, we don't have time because it's not green and gold. But it's been called the race of the century, yes, so please watch it. The pace that they set, oh is just obscene. Please again, go watch it in your own time. But at three thirty five am, I will be watching. Dear Jess Hole, have a crack at the semi final. Go you good thing again? Has run the fifth fastest time in history in this event. Can she do it? Faith Kip Yagon. I mean, she's basically a formality at this point. But you're telling me there's a chance.
Speaker 1: I think it's a legit podium chance. Now what we all need to do collectively, Australia, Let's do it now. Set your alarm five thirty a m. So reasonable, so reasonable. This is a perfect perfectly average humans who like exercise get up at this time. Do you know what I mean? They're not average humans? But go, oh, you're so right, You're so right. The men's two hundred meter final starring our Noah Lyles. He's trying to do the double. It's happening five thirty tomorrow morning. You will not want to miss that.
Speaker 2: You remember that we've described that. He said the one hundred meters is my mistress, but the two hundred, the two hundred's my wife. And he tried his very best to be humble in a press conference until Curly was like, go on, talk your shit. That's a direct quote. And he said they're going to be depressed when I hit the bend. The other athletes are going to be depressed. That's how much I'm going to win it by. And when you do the doubles at a games in particular, you start hitting bolt levels. Oh yeah, I mean he's not there yet. Yeah, but in terms of track and field history, this is significant. Again, five thirty is the sun almost up? Of course it is. But you can flick at five thirty because in the boxing, guaranteed.
Speaker 1: Medals, guarantee, guaranteed, guarantee.
Speaker 2: But you're going to be seeing this as Charlie Senior, the twenty two year old.
Speaker 1: From Way Wait, wait, what the hell?
Speaker 2: Don't have much else going on? We run, we fight, sun's out, we swim a bit, we sail recycling. I hear, we're outdoorsy. We just we're athletic because there's not much else to entertainers. There's not much of a bar scene. But we are guaranteed a men's medal coming up in the men's boxing. And then also Katelyn Parker, who we've identified as someone you're gonna love.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, so just to put a little exclamation point on that, we'll talk about her more tomorrow. But we have another guaranteed metal chance in the boxing with Katelyn park Of, the twenty eight year old from Dromana, the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria. I heard an interview on ABC Radio with her neighbor, a lovely woman named Amelda, and the reporter asked, Emmelda, have you ever seen her like running up and down the street doing like the full Rocky like getting in the zone. Emelda, bless her, said only if there was an ice cream truck. That's all you need to know about Caitlyn Parker.
Speaker 2: That is all you.
Speaker 1: Need to know about her. She is in action from six to tone.
Speaker 3: Oh god, Melda, will you come on Ossie Teams tomorrow at four thirty five am. Their tears of a different kind from me. The Stingers face the USA.
Speaker 2: Will they leave us alone in America? Get out of America? In a semi final of the women's water polo, this team are so inspirational. There's so many stories about the women's water polo and if we can medal, it will just be unbelievable. And time for my flex about saying Maria Favod Sola and jalequal Clans. You're into the semi finals of the Women's beach Volleyball. You can watch that tomorrow at five am, So maybe get up at five beach volleyball, into a little bit of the Noah Isles, maybe into a.
Speaker 1: Bit of boxing, bit of boxing, and we'll just is there a better morning?
Speaker 2: Are Were you to see you after that for medals? Sure? Sure, sure, I'm I'm buzzing about all of this. This is just the most ridiculous day.
Speaker 1: I actually feel like it genuinely feels like weave one.
Speaker 2: It's also it's my birthday.
Speaker 1: It's not I'm not going to get it.
Speaker 2: Should be like just for something that we love to bring so many Australians together and joy and there's so much rubbish that happens in the news. This is the same as heavy stories, and this is just camaraderie and dedication and perseverance and what people can do when they dedicate themselves to something.
Speaker 1: And it's the chance for all of us who are watching it to sit back and go, I am so happy that they've dedicated their life to doing that. So I get to.
Speaker 2: Hear how many little Nina Kennedy's are somewhere going mumkin, I actually really want to have a crack at little Laths And we've talked about.
Speaker 1: Some of the amazing faces of the games, but someone because.
Speaker 2: We've had so many gold to look at Georgie, we have glaringly omitted from our commentary to this point, which is an oversight because they've been one of the main characters, and it's our fun fact.
Speaker 1: Our fun fact for the day, Snoop.
Speaker 2: Oh see, I was gonna go with Snoop Dog again. The fact that I just gives you an indication of where we're at. But our fun fact for the day is supposedly NBC's special commentator, Snoop Dragon, Snoop Liones, Snoop Dog, whatever the iteration has been. If you had have picked him in the early two thousands when you and I were listening to those two songs as someone that would be a face of a games, you would go probably not. And yet he is getting paid reportedly half a million US dollars I by NBC.
Speaker 1: Believe maybe unpopular opinion, but I actually think popular opinion he is earning every cent of it. I love seeing him at the events. I love how he dresses up. If you haven't seen him and Martha Stewart in full Equestrian tales, then bloody well go to it. And look at him in that tuxedo with the top hat.
Speaker 2: The fact that he's next to Martha's Stewart, they're both they crimps.
Speaker 1: I just love it.
Speaker 2: Really, he's a really od But the thing that I'm loving about Snoop is that a lot of the time he has specially made outfits, as you mentioned, and a lot of the time they're heroing female athletes.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent all of those T shirts. Like he's at the gymnastics, he's watching all of the America, the USA rugby.
Speaker 2: But he is famous for the dancing horses, the dressage, and if you're gonna look at one clip of Snoop today, it's him in full dressage kit dancing in front of one of the games horses. That's probably worth his half day salary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're so right, You're so right. It's honestly, I think he has brought so much joy. He's earned it because of the coverage that he has been getting NBC their coverage, but just the games around the world.
Speaker 2: I love it. There are so many of these little bits that Georgie and I are dying to talk about from the Games. But as you can probably.
Speaker 4: Tell, it's busy busy covering Australian events, So we're going to do a summation of the color around Paris that we've been furiously sending each other in me but haven't had a chance to talk about because that is a massive part of the Games.
Speaker 2: But again, as we take a deep breath, Georgie, Yeah, a deep golden.
Speaker 1: Breath, golden breath.
Speaker 2: It feels good.
Speaker 1: It feels good, you.
Speaker 2: Know, it really does.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I feel like that Harry style song, like I am the Harry style song. Golden. That's what I'm going to live my life today. That's how I'm going to go through life.
Speaker 2: Thank you yeah for joining us on green and gold, gold, gold, gold edition of Two Good Sports, your unofficial Games podcast. If you can't tell, just go and shake in Australian's hand today and say well done.
Speaker 1: Well done US, Well done US, well done us. We are winners and until we catch you tomorrow, be a good sport.