Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Order Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money the podcast. Pousi Millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our money daries where I get the absolute pleasure of sitting down and talking to one of our incredible She's on the Money community members all about their money story. Let's jump straight into it, because this week I got an email and it sounded exactly like this, Dear She's on the Money. Back in twenty fourteen, I was making forty thousand dollars a year, living paycheck to paycheck and had little understanding of financial basics, but I did know that there was not much room for career progression in sports and community reck. So I did a complete one eighty and moved into project management in construction, and I am now on ninety thousand dollars a year. My husband has always worked in machinery and he had noticed a gap in the market in our community. When we were building our home, we realized we needed the machinery, so why not just buy it ourselves and then hire it out as a side business. I'm putting working nights and weekends in, but it's worth it because this business is projected to turn over four hundred thousand dollars in its first year money Diarist, Does that give you a little bit of wicklash? Like from forty thousand dollars a year to our business turning over four hundred grand, Like, b for real, that's so much money.
Speaker 4: It's pretty cool. And that's part of why I wrote in because I was like, Oh, my gosh, this is actually really incredible, and I kind of it was actually really nice validating it for myself as well.
Speaker 2: Oh it's so cathartic, Like I think one of my favorite things about money diaries. Is that reflection that the diarists get and I can see it like and I feel like our listeners can hear it as well. You know when you go through a diary and at the start they're like, yep, I'm here, and then we reflect on their money story and what they're going through, and at the end they're like, hey, I'm pretty cool, aren't I? And I'm like, yes you are.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It's a nice moment of growth to actually think about and be like, yes, we've done.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do that together. Now, money diarist, what grade would you give your money habits? If I asked you to give them a grade from A through to F, I would say A C, A C and she's turning over four hundred grand. Okay, no worries. Let's learn a little bit more. Money diarist, you started off making forty thousand dollars a year. We don't have a lot of context. Can you tell us a little bit more about your money story?
Speaker 4: Yes, so, as I said so twenty fourteen, ten years ago, I was out of UNI earning forty thousand a year, and that was on a contract sort of basis. So I went from job to job, living paycheck to paycheck. I wasn't bought up around business or anything like that, so didn't have a great understanding, I guess of how to spend my money, how to save my money. Saving money is also really hard on that amount as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, I say this all the time, and is it not wild just to like buddy in here a little bit, But isn't it wild that when you're earning forty thousand dollars you probably still put so much pressure on yourself. You're like, oh my god, I'm so bad with money. I can't save, I can't invest. But we didn't look at the bay of it, and that's that you don't have the cash flow to support those things. Like you're just doing the best that you can, but you're still thinking that it's just because you're not good at it.
Speaker 4: Like what Yeah, absolutely, And that was that was something that at the time, I, you know, it was like, oh, I can't save, I am still living paycheck to paycheck. My mom and dad, you know, gave me a loan for a new car, those sorts of things. And then now now sitting back and looking at it, I completely understand and realized that for what I had, I did well with that. But then when I made that sort of switch to actually start saving and learn more, that's what really changed for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really upsets me when I speak to people and they're like the like, I'm earning forty five thousand dollars a year and I just I can't seem to save or invest, like it's all beyond me. And I'm like, I get that, but to be really blunt, with the income that you have, life is expensive. There's not going to be much wiggle room left. And as much as that's not nice to hear, sometimes it's quite validating to hear because you're like, oh, it's not me, Like, it's not that I'm bad, it's something and so that we just don't have that wiggle room, or we don't have that cash flow, or that's actually just not going to work for our current chapter of life, and that is actually okay. I don't want people walking around feeling like they're bad at something when the reality is you're doing pretty good. And it was only on reflection that even you said, actually I was doing pretty well for not earning all that much.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And I was living in a metropolitan area at the time. I was still visiting friends and family in regional areas. So I still lived a really, really good life. I didn't go without what I needed to. It was just that I then had a moment where I turned from I guess, different priorities and wanting to purchase a house and wanting to get out of sharehousing. And that was kind of the switch for me that made me realize, you know, I had to make a few changes and had something to work towards.
Speaker 2: And something had to change. Like you might have absolutely loved working in you know, smorts and community wreck, but at the end of the day, sometimes there are caps on careers, and if money and finances are a really big priority to you, you do have to sometimes do a one ad. At what point did you come to that realization you were like, I actually need a whole new career, not just like to work harder at work.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, it was a couple of years ago now just nearly two years ago, and I was talking to my partner at the time, who's now my fiance state, which is super exciting.
Speaker 2: The congrats I did see the ring thank you. She's cute.
Speaker 4: So I was kind of thinking, you know, we're wanting to raise a family, we're wanting to start businesses, and I came to the realization with the job and career I had at the time, I wouldn't be able to do those things the way I wanted to. So that may work for other people and that's fantastic, but the way we wanted to live our lives it wasn't going to work. We then kind of that down and he was often like, you know, you're fantastic at organizing things. I've never seen someone with a checklist and a red pen strike through a list like you do.
Speaker 2: I love that. That's like the biggest compliment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was. And I was like, actually, you know what, I am good at that. Thank you. And he was like, well, let's look at how you can make a career out of that. And so project management was a sort of a perfect fit. I guess I'd worked in management previously, so a lot of like transferable skills that I could bring across and then yet did a one eighty and here we are.
Speaker 2: So what kind of study did you have to do to get into project management? Because I feel like I sometimes hear that people have these roles, but I'm like, did you have to go to UNI? Did you have to do a certificate like or did you just apply for the job and be like, hey, did you see that I crossed things off in red pen like what's the career path there?
Speaker 4: So I was really lucky in that the company that I'm now working for, they had in their ad we're looking for project managers, but happy for people that are looking for a change, and we're willing to train you.
Speaker 2: Oh how good is that?
Speaker 4: Yes? I jumped on it and submitted my application, had a brief phone conversation which then actually ended up with them saying, look, we've actually just employed someone with thirty five years experience.
Speaker 2: Of course you have.
Speaker 4: And I was like, okay, that's understandable. I'll cop that. Compete with that, it's definitely not. And they said, however, we would like to offer you like an assistance sort of role so that we can have you on board and then train you up so that you can then move into a full project management role.
Speaker 2: Oh how good is that? And you know what, like, from my perspective looking at that, that maybe is even better. Oh.
Speaker 4: Absolutely so for me when I made the change, I didn't have to take a pay cut, I worked less hours, I didn't need to work weekends.
Speaker 2: How good is this? You're selling the dream.
Speaker 4: And I was then getting trained as well. So for me, I'm enrolled in a diploma of project management. But there's others here that have a certificate for in project management. So I think the thing is that there's varying levels of study. I think it's about finding the right company and organization to take you on and train you where you need it, because for me, the training on the job is far more I guess beneficial than anything on a piece of paper.
Speaker 2: I can attest to that, having been a chronic university gower, I know so much more just from doing the work. And like I know, he kind of feels like a rock and hard place because you're like, yes, Victoria, but I need the UNI degree to actually get in the door. And that's often the case. But then there are things like what you've just gone through, where they are willing to train you and they are willing to go through it, but you're not going to find it unless you're looking like it's not going to jump out at you unless you're like, hold on, like maybe this is something I should have a look into. Because how I asked you while you were still at your sports and community wrec job, Like, oh, you could probably just find a job in project management. They'll train you and you're like, not even have to take a pay cut. You'd be like sure, Victoria, Sure, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 4: And I think that was a big thing in that we had those conversations realized, like I guess where our values were and what was important to us, and then we started looking.
Speaker 2: So yeah, how good. I love that so much. So now tell me how old are you? What's your official job title and how much money do you earn?
Speaker 4: So I am thirty two. Official job title is contract administrator and I'm on ninety thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 2: Is that including or excluding superannuation?
Speaker 4: Excluding super?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: How good? So then it's like super on top. So girl, you're basically on one hundred grand a year.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh we love to see it. So tell me a bit more. So you've just gotten engaged. I peep are very cute. Ring are your big money goals at the moment? What are you currently working towards?
Speaker 4: So money goals at the moment for us, where the main aim is to have multiple passive income streams. That's that's the goal that will be broken down into a couple of smaller steps. But that's our end goal.
Speaker 2: How exciting and what do you like? Do you have specific goals for that or is that just like a holistic our entire life is working towards it. Or do we have like a list with some red pen that we can cross off goals?
Speaker 4: Yes, so we have a full I guess, sort of business plan that we're working towards.
Speaker 2: You've got a business plan for life as well. I love this, not for life.
Speaker 4: That one's actual business business plan for business, no real business plan for life. We're kind of it's just for us. It's a matter of like looking at where we are with work and then what we're wanting to get to with business, and then how that all fits together.
Speaker 2: Adore, I love this so much. Let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. I want to ask so many more questions about this business. How the heck you got it to be turning four hundred thousand dollars over in the first year. I want to know about investments, I want to know about debts, and I feel like someone like you has some really good money habits. So guys don't go anywhere, all right, We are back and our money. Darist has gone from being on forty thousand dollars a year to now being on ninety thousand dollars a year, and in her first year in business, is about to turn over four hundred thousand dollars money, Darist. Can we dive straight in to investments? So when you were earning forty thousand dollars was only two years ago. I'm assuming that investments felt pretty far off. But was that something that you spoke about or thought about or what did that look like? And now what does it look like today?
Speaker 4: Investment was always something that I thought was this, I guess grand dream that I could never afford. It was as simple as that. I just didn't think that that was possible. I then purchased my first house on my own, which was amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, No, you did it, Yeah I did.
Speaker 4: Now you bought your first hold on what was your salary when you bought your first house? It would have been around sixty sixty five Holy moly.
Speaker 2: So you're just like, by the way, I'm duying my own house and I'm on sixty five grand. That is iconic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I share house for a long time.
Speaker 2: Of course, sacrifice is what makes these things happen.
Speaker 4: Yes, so I made the most of it. I worked really hard to put everything aside that I could, and then happened to find the perfect little home just before the COVID chaos, which was fantastic. So I was able to get in there. Since then met my now partner, and that first home is now a beautiful investment. So that's my first actual investment, is my home.
Speaker 2: Okay, nice, what a little dream. I love that, So tell me a bit more. I've got to be a pervy, Like buying your first home is hard enough. You did it earning sixty five grand? Did you have a guaranteur? Did you you know, have somebody who taught you how to get into property? Did you have to save up a twenty percent deposit?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: I need to know the nitty gritty how'd you get in?
Speaker 4: So I went to my local bank and spoke them about first home buy scheme at the time, so I was able to get in with less than twenty percent deposit. I did have the full twenty percent deposit available.
Speaker 2: Of course you did. You're saying that, Oh No, when I earned last I didn't. I wasn't able to invest or safe girl, you were you were. You're deceiving us. You're really good at money, won't you?
Speaker 4: I wasn't. I wasn't, And then I became. I became more aware and I learned the tricks along the way. So I yeah, went to my bank and they were able to offer a first home buy scheme, which meant I didn't have to put in the twenty percent deposit, but still didn't have to pay lender's mortgage insurance. So the bank manager, she calls herself my local mum because my family lived ten hours away.
Speaker 2: That's so sweet, and.
Speaker 4: I remember the first meeting with her. She was like, no, we are not letting you pay lender's mortgage insurance. We will apply for the first home buy scheme. We will make sure you do this right. And that's how I did it. What an I can't the additional money that I had, which would have been the twenty percent deposit, I then, over two to three years, put some of that into renovations and increasing the value of the home, so icon it it's increased nearly two hundred thousand, nor what has ever three years?
Speaker 2: So tell me how much did you purchase your first home for? What's it worth?
Speaker 4: Now it was three hundred and fifty six thousand.
Speaker 2: Three fifty six and then it's now worth like five fifty six. Oh my gosh. And how much is left on your mortgage that one.
Speaker 4: I've got around two hundred and ninety left on that mortgage.
Speaker 2: Isn't that insane? You've got so much equity now.
Speaker 4: Yes, so so much. So it's just that.
Speaker 2: Equation that is so cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ready for even when we ever need it.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. I'm so excited for you because it just everything works out when you start to just care about your finances like this is really empowering because I think so many times when you're you know, you're just a girl, you're earning seventy grand which is a really normal income, and you just feel like nothing's possible, and then you hear stories like this coming out of our community. You did that on your own. You hadn't even met your partner yet, and you were like, Nope, I'm going to buy myrin home. I'm going to make sure I go through these situations. And I mean, as you know already, I own a mortgage broken company called Zella Money, and we do this every day. So, like I know, it's possible, but so many times we meet with people they're like, Oh, I just I don't know if it's going to work for me. Like this, Money Diarist has not only worked out how to get into her own home, she's unlocked a heap of equity. If she sold it over the last two years, she would have made more than two hundred thousand dollars, having started on a salary of sixty grand. Like that is wild and so so cool to me, Money Diarist, Let's get a little bit further into it. Do you invest in any other way or is it just property at this point? What are your thoughts on it? Is there a plan for the future or is it all about business at the moment?
Speaker 4: So no other investments at this stage. We have just built our first time together. So at the moment, yeah, first home is our investment. I have a whole lot of analysis paralysis with actual investing. I have to admit it. That is my next I guess personal goal is to look at that further.
Speaker 2: Our investing masterclass is about to drop on the thirtieth of September, so I'm going to give that to you and then there's no excuses like I'm going to teach you absolutely everything, because it sounds like you've got property down, Pat, but the investing side of things, Oh my gosh, I can't wait ten years from now you are going to be running rings around literally everybody.
Speaker 4: Thank you. That is yeah, that's my personal goal is just to get that part. I guess down, Pat. I just it's it's always been too much like I haven't known sort of, I guess where to start. I've you know, opened a tab and started reading and it's still open on my phone. So that's that's the next thing.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Analysis paralysis is the worst, right and then you think you're about to pull the trigger, and then someone meant something and you're like, oh, what does that mean? I need to start again? And as women, we just don't trust our intuition enough sometimes to just dive in and get started. I think you're gonna love it. I'm just I feel like our stars are aligned, like we're talking at the perfect time for you to then start the investing masterclass on the thirtieth with us, which is really exciting. But for everybody listening, obviously, I'll put a discount code in the show notes to make sure that you don't miss out. Either. I'm so excited about that. For you, tell me a bit more. Do you have any other debts?
Speaker 4: So for us, it's just first home, the home we've just built. And then my partner has a debt on his vehicle and that is it. Sorry, and one machine, one machine has a debt as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, sorry, all right, Well, tell me a little bit more about this home that you're building. What kind of block size is it? How much have you spent on it? Like what type of mortgages you got? Like, I'm just so pervy, and it is literally a privileged to be able to ask someone will the perfume money questions that you'd never ask them if you met them at the shops.
Speaker 4: No, I love it, and I'm all for it because it's actually really cool and I'm really like we're in a fantastic position that we've both worked really hard to be in. So where we've just built is a twenty seven hundred square meter.
Speaker 2: Block, Okay, how exciting.
Speaker 4: It is very exciting. However, there is a lot of mowing to be done on a block that size, and a lot of vacuuming to be done on a house that's three hundred and forty square meters.
Speaker 2: Do you know what's so funny? You just said that your house is three hundred and forty square meters and my entire block, like my house is on four hundred square meters. Like that's the that's the land size, babe. That's insane to me. How cool you're mowing my entire block?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yes, so like my first home actually fits square meter wise, fits in the middle center of our house, of our new house.
Speaker 2: Isn't it so funny? So tell me more about this. So you've got this beautiful, big block of land and you're building your home, Like, how are you funding this?
Speaker 4: So my partner had amount of cash to put in, so we've done that, and then we have a five hundred thousand dollars mortgage for that property.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, why is it only five hundred thousand dollars for twenty seven Like you've got to give me more context here, Like.
Speaker 4: We were able to put so much in that that's all we needed.
Speaker 2: What what's it worth?
Speaker 4: So we're waiting for final valuation. We are living in there, which is amazing, but it's looking like it'll be valued at one point four.
Speaker 2: Sorry, there's a bit of context missing here. So when you say my partner had a little bit of cash, Like, what do you mean a little bit?
Speaker 4: So he sold his previous house and all of that went straight straight this new one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, she's marrying rich guys.
Speaker 4: No, I'm just marrying a beautiful man.
Speaker 2: How good is that? I'm obviously joking, but it is so cool how this is all just working out for you. So tell me more about this business, because you mentioned we have a machine and it has some debt on it. Obviously, when you were building your home you realized that the machinery was necessary. Why not purchase it? Why not then lease it out after? Is this like, you know, a twenty dollar wheelbarrow from Buddings Or is this like, you know, a whole digger? Is this a crane? I don't know. You've got to tell me more about how this works and then how you worked out that you could lease it out.
Speaker 4: Yep. So when we first started designing the house and obviously a big block, we were like, well, there's a lot of landscaping that's going to need to be done, and we were like, well, we'll do that ourselves. At the time, his brother and his wife were also building on a large block and his parents were also building on a large block.
Speaker 2: Oh god, so much construction. And you wouldn't be short for conversation at family dinner, would you.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we will be shortly. We actually joke about what we're all going to talk about in six months time when everyone's done building.
Speaker 2: Oh, you guys will find another projects guarantee it.
Speaker 4: Yes, definitely. So yeah, we looked at it and we thought, you know, were between just the three of us building and you know, needing to hire a digger to do some earthworks or a skid steer to do something else. We were like, hang on, this is really really expensive in town, and if we do that and say we need it. We worked it out over a certain number of weekends and what it would come to, and we were like, why don't we just buy one? So again, there was some money from the sale of my partner's house, so we actually paid cash for our first machine.
Speaker 2: How much does a machine cost?
Speaker 4: So that was a mini excavator, so a brand new Caterpillar excavator, and that one, at the time I believe was forty thousand, and then it was about eleven thousand. Then for the trailer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, and so you need the trailer of the UC to move the excavator, yes, so to.
Speaker 4: Move it around. We we did buy a more expensive trailer because you could just buy a plant trailer where you can just drive your machine on and that's all its purpose is. However, we went for a different trailer that was say, a tiper trailer, so that people can also use it for soil, which you offer.
Speaker 2: He's a smart cookie, so you can move the stuff that you excavated.
Speaker 4: Correct, And you can also hire that trailer out as its own asset, whereas no one really needs to just borrow a plant trailer on its own, but someone wanting to do some gardening can hire a trailer.
Speaker 2: I see the vision. I get it. So you've essentially invested fifty one thousand dollars in this trailer and this excavator, and I'm assuming you've used it. Partner's parents have used it, other family members have used it, and now you're hiring it out. What does that look like? Do you advertise it online or is this a word of mouthing or like? How does that work? How does it go from we bought this fancy thing to other people are paying you for it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So it did just start out with social media advertising locally, we put some signage on the trailer and on the machine, and it just kind of went from there. We've actually stopped advertising for it at the moment because the second part of the business is labor Higher, which we've got my partner employed through so he's out of town a lot with that. So we've actually stopped advertising the equipment higher because we're getting enough with it to cover the repayments on our second machine.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love this. And what does it look like in the future. I know you said earlier on the other half of this episode, we have a business plan. What does that look like?
Speaker 4: So for us, I guess you know, more machinery, bigger machinery definitely is the plan to do that. We need a shed to store it all. So our first sort of goal at the moment is to open a second business with a workshop so we can do I guess heavy vehicle workshop, which also means that the machinery we have can be serviced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, you guys are thinking smart. It's not like so I thought you would say. So we're building a shed on our twenty seven hundred square meter block and I would be like, okay, smart girl, but she's going further than that. You've really really thought about this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have thought about it, and we have a really clear vision of where we want to end up. So essentially we're looking at the moment at shared rentals in the town we're in so that we can have a start, and then pending those first twelve months, then we would either look to them build a shed or then start like a second stream.
Speaker 2: Again, how cool are you? I love this? And so over the last like twelve months, you've built this up and now it's projected to turn over four hundred thousand dollars. Can it be real, pervy? How much of that is profit? So majority of that very nicey nice.
Speaker 4: I don't have the like percentages with me, which I should, and I definitely don't. So that is from so as I said, we've got the two streams with plant higher and then also labor higher. So the vast majority of that has come from labor higher. But we made the call and I guess the sacrifice to add that in rather than my partner being on a wage working for someone else, it's far easier when it's your own name on your shirt. To put in the hours, oh.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. And also sometimes you've got to do the dirty work yourself, like you've just got to start from scratch instead of hiring someone else and trying to manage it. Well, he's got a full time job. It's going to be so much easier at a scale, which is so exciting. So is the plan for that to scale? And maybe you not working your ninety thousand dollars project management job.
Speaker 4: This is and this is very very, very big picture and I don't normally put big picture out to the world until I know what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: So we're manifesting it. We're manifesting it.
Speaker 4: We are so big picture would be that we have enough machinery that we could potentially, you know, start a sort of a civil branch and having that would need a project manager.
Speaker 2: It would it would need your skills.
Speaker 4: Yes, so that's sort of I guess how we'd integrate my skills into them coming full time into the business.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I'm so excited. But I also know your skills are already being utilized in the business, Like you need someone who can organize everything, like even just down to when it's hired out when it's not hired out, the like the facilities, getting it organized to be serviced, like all of that stuff. I'm pretty sure you're in charge of that, aren't you.
Speaker 4: Yes, I am, so. I do all of that before and after my I guess nine.
Speaker 2: To five full time job, so she's working two jobs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I, yeah, work full time. I do on and off hire of machinery before and after work, so you know, I might be doing it on hire at six point thirty or seven o'clock in the morning, getting that out and then coming to work the end of the day, then finishing work, going doing off high, getting it back, making sure it's clean field, et cetera. And then I go home and manage our finances and you know.
Speaker 2: Pay bills and uh dinner.
Speaker 4: Yeah that the last six months, I've learned about payroll. I've learned about superinnuation and how to pay that. So lots of little things within that I've learned how to do.
Speaker 2: My Baz, how good. I'm so proud of you, But also look at how hard you're working to create this like epic level of financial freedom that you guys will have in the future. Like I cannot wait, please, message me and be like, the my business is now turning over a million dollars, Like I know it's coming. It's just going to be a short period of time before that happens. So I'm waiting for the message years go yes, how good. I'm so excited for you. I feel like you've got all of your ducks in a row. Tell me, what do you think your best money habit is?
Speaker 4: I think, honestly, for me, it's being across what's coming in and what's going out. So I'm very old school in that I will actually sit down, I will look at everything. I have finally set up my direct debits to have bills just coming out automatically, so that is good. But I do still have a sit down and look at everything and where we're up to. I sort of sit my partner down and go, right, it's finance date night. This is where we're at, this is what's going on. He's like, perfect, We're good for another few weeks. We'll chat about it. Then.
Speaker 2: I love that. I love that so much. What's your bad money havebit? Then? Is there one that you're like? This one always gets me.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's a bad habit. I think the investment part. For me, I really want to get on top of that. So for me, that's a bad habit in that I haven't started it to let it become a good habit.
Speaker 2: Oh that is so easy, and honestly, I've just fixed it. So like we are immediately in a plus because of that, thank you.
Speaker 4: But for me, I guess it's important for me to, you know, go and enjoy a coffee or brunch and take myself out and do those things. So I guess the worst habit would be that I do that once and then I'm like, oh, yeah, we should definitely do this more often. And then I'm like, wait a second, let's reule this back in and make it something to enjoy rather than just spending that money.
Speaker 2: But also, look at the life you're building that's going to afford more coffees out more often. Like your lifestyle can also scale. I mean, we always talk about lifestyle creep, and that's really important to get a hold of if it's not in line with your values and you're not happy with it. But like when you earn more money and you're working as hard as you do, I do think that we deserve to enjoy it. I think that we need to enjoy the journey, not just becoming rich or not just becoming you know, the destination, Like if you've got that free cash flow, like you don't work as hard as you do to not enjoy life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would probably be my worst habit. Actually, now i'm thinking about it, is that I probably don't enjoy it enough for what I could. I think you know, as you say, we both have worked really really hard. We're putting in the hours, and I think it's nice to actually like, I actually, you know what, No, we do deserve to spend that money on us.
Speaker 2: That's like a stereotypical small business owner journey. And it's taken me many years to be able to step back and go, look what we've done. That's really cool and celebrate it because I think that a lot of business owners we work so hard and we put so much pressure on ourselves that even though it's an achievement, it actually feels like a weightlifted. So like when something happens and you're like, oh, finally that happened or I achieved this, you just feel light and you're like, okay, cool, I've got to carry on though, because there's some more stuff to do, and we don't give ourselves credit. And I think that it is smart to integrate celebration into that and go all right, well, maybe we should go out for a fancy dinner, or maybe we should you know, treat ourselves or set something up that's a goal that we're looking forward to. That's not a business goal because we have something to work towards and give ourselves a little bit of a break, but toxic small business owner things which I can definitely relate to my friend.
Speaker 4: It's nice to hear that that is not just me, because it is all very, very very you to me.
Speaker 2: So oh no, for years I didn't celebrate it. And it's not because I wasn't grateful. I was really grateful, but you just feel so overwhelmed and you just feel like there's so much more to do, and like that's great because I'm so motivated, but I just feel like, oh my gosh, I'm glad that that's over. Or you know, I remember winning an award in the next morning being like okay, cool, Like I should go back to work and my team will like that's so cool, and I was like yep, yep, but I've got stuff to do, and then they're like, why don't you care? And I was like, it's not that I don't care, it's that I'm stressed because I feel like this adds more pressure, Like the bigger I get, the more that I grow, the more that I feel like I have to prove myself. And that's not the case, right. The more I grow, the more I should feel safe in what I've built. But I think especially as women, we just put more and more pressure on ourselves and we go, oh my gosh, Now I set this expectation that I did win this, that people are going to expect more from me, or you know, now I have a turnover of four hundred thousand dollars, well next year. It would be really disappointing if it was less like we're just not good at celebrating ourselves and how if that can be?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is me. So that is that's myt it together.
Speaker 2: I'll be I'll be your founder friend and we can we can celebrate our successes together.
Speaker 4: And I think I think it's important to It's the same as I guess reflecting on where we've been and where we are now in that you know, it is amazing. It is something to celebrate and be proud of as well.
Speaker 2: I feel like it can also be a sidetrack founder conversation, but it can also be really challenging if you're experiencing this in isolation. So I am assuming that this is you know, you said in your money story, I didn't grow up around business. This isn't something that my parents had, and I'm assuming that not many of your friends have started businesses. It is really inspiring, your friends are really happy for you, but it can be really challenging when you're like, oh, wow, like I've got a business that's turning over four hundred thousand dollars. I'm probably not going to mention that at brunch because it's unrelatable, and you know, there are these pain points that you'd love to chat about with somebody, but also you feel bad because you're friend has just said, oh my god, mortgage payments are really really overwhelming, and you're like, oh, I'm just trying to work out how to pay super or I'm trying to work out how to do my best or you know, I just I've finally worked out payroll, like these are things that I struggled with. Because you want to talk about how well you're doing but not in a gloating way. I want to talk about it because I've got stuff to do and maybe I'm not doing this as well as I could. But often in a friendship group that doesn't have similar experiences, you can feel really like, oh, they're going to think that I'm gloating when in the reality, like the reality of the situation is I just need help. I just want to vent. This is really stressful. But because there's so much money often involved, you're like, this is really stressful, but they're not going to appreciate that. I'm not, you know, grateful for that.
Speaker 4: It is. It's very, very, very difficult, and it is a challenge that I have found obviously the last sort of six months or so, and it is, you know, conversations that my friends might be having are around you know, what their toddlers are up to, and what sicknesses are coming home from daycare and how they're dating.
Speaker 2: Like, ah, this isn't relatable to me.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm like, I don't have kids, but can you teach me how to pay someone?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Please? I'm like, So it is very difficult and it is isolating, and I guess I'm not really sure, or I guess what's out there in terms of support around that.
Speaker 2: And the Business Bible community. My friend, I'm going to revive that at some point in the near future because we've just finished with our investing masterclass, but like, this is the support that should be coming out of the Business Bible community where you can be like, hey, is there anyone who kind of wants to be my accountability buddy? And you can text them and be like you got a payroll and they'll be like yes, are you got at super and you'll be like yes, be like cool, let's jump on zoom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what we need, especially as women. I think we need that in whether it's metropolitan or regional areas, regardless of where we're located. I think that's something that we need and to be around, I guess, and just having conversations with other women that are out there absolutely smashing it in business that would be really really you're reviving I guess for me as well in that you know what, Yes, we're all tired, but we can sit and whine about it over a wine and that's okay one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I feel like, sometimes, you know, I'll be like, oh, I'm so exhausted today, and then I'll be like, oh, probably shouldn't say that, because like, I'm grateful for where I am, but at the same time, like I am genuinely tiger, Like we all need a nap sometime. Yes, definitely, Money Diarist, You've just told us this epic story, Like it started with you making forty grand a year, realizing that that wasn't working. Then it got better and you were like, oh, I'm going to get this job earn ninety grand a year. Then I find out that's plus stuper and it's one hundred grand a year. Then I find out you're a genius and you've basically organized this business. You're turning over four hundred grand, your goal is to turn over a million next year. You're working everything out on your own. You do live regionally, which makes it even harder. You bought your first property earning sixty five grand. There's just so much about you that I'm so impressed by.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 2: Literally think that your worst money habit is that you don't know how to invest properly yet Yet you've built a business and you have more than two hundred thousand dollars equity in your first property. That you bought as a single female, Like you told me that you were a C I did. Are we gonna revisit that together or are we gonna sweep it under the rug?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: What are we doing about that C? Because now that people have listened to this, they're gonna be like that money darist full of shit.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's I would settle with a B, maybe a B plus?
Speaker 2: What would make you an A plus? Like, I'm happy for you to be whoever you want to be. I'm never gonna argue, but I'm also gonna question it, But like, what do you have to do to get to an A plus? Because from my perspective, you're killing it?
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think for me, like, obviously, if I can get investing down pat and have that happening, that for me, that would get me to an A. To have that part there and be on top of it, that would be my A. To get me to an AA plus would be having two businesses up and running.
Speaker 2: Oh no, biggie, yeah no, biggie, no pressure. I really like that. Just really small.
Speaker 4: Steps, small steps, baby steps.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love that, But I also love that to get to the A is really achievable and really easy and it's just about education and that's actually not going to cost anything. So that is very cool, and I'm very excited that I get to be on that journey with you, money Diarist. This has been honestly a pleasure. I'm so excited. It is one reinvigorated my excitement for you know, celebrating small business owners and helping them, and you know, it reminds me. I have a book coming out in November called The Business Bible, literally because I'm so wildly passionate about this, and I know that that is hopefully going to reinvigorate our community and like remind people why we're here. But I just have a lot to do in this space, and you have motivated me to like dive back in and go, all right, small business owners, what are we going to do? How can I support you? Because these are the conversations we need to be having. And you know what, our friends don't want to hear it sometimes, and that is actually fine, but sometimes we need to hear from a group of people who are like, all right, tell me about bass and I'd be like, oh my gosh, bane of my existence and this is why, and you go, oh, totally relatable. So Money host. It has been a pleasure. Thank you so much for joining me. I do hope that our paths cross at some point in the future. I know they will, and when you're turning over a million dollars, please message me. We need to know.
Speaker 4: It absolutely will and I look forward to doing.
Speaker 2: That, adore. Thank you so much. The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money showper Pty Ltd ABN three two one six, four nine, two seven and seven zero eight a f s L four five one two eight nine