Speaker 1: The Flex and Rooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 2: The Millennial pause like it's an inhale. It's the inhale, lean back lipsmack enter, I'll do it. Hello everyone.
Speaker 3: It's so like self congratulatory, like circle jerk.
Speaker 2: Or wang vibes.
Speaker 3: But alas today we're talking about celeb spell check.
Speaker 2: I let my feelings be known, which I always love to hear from. You get unabashed passion.
Speaker 3: Amped up about the most pointless of social issues, celeb spell check. If you're listening to this, which I'm sure you are, no shade. You know you're doing this for a reason. It started out really fun. Am I a fan of it? Now? No?
Speaker 2: Do I look at your stuff?
Speaker 3: No? I don't because I don't want to perpetuate bullying of any kind. I think bullies are silly and things come back. You know, calmer exists.
Speaker 2: I'm still down for bullyings, so light and shade, light and shade. No, I just want to be in a utopia.
Speaker 3: Anyway, we're trying to get to the bottom of who the heck celeb Spelchick is. If you are following flex Bummy on Instagram, you'll have seen that somebody DMed her a proposition about potentially who could it be a proposition?
Speaker 2: Not quite, but I get what you're saying anyway.
Speaker 3: So as I listened back to the podcast and realize we're using words in the wrong context, we yeah, I'll think about what you said.
Speaker 2: I'll dox you next time.
Speaker 1: Let's go flex and frooms.
Speaker 3: So I had an open for inspection occur in my rental property on the weekend.
Speaker 2: Had you like taken everything out or as is? Strangers were allowed to come into your occupied place temporarily to have a quick.
Speaker 3: Look fifteen minutes in the house unsupervised wool. As you can imagine, this was a stressful situation to find myself in. I am scared of people looking through my staff.
Speaker 2: Did you linger out the front? Was there a big line?
Speaker 3: So there was two inspections earlier though it was another on Thursday, and I hung out the front so I'd live in an area which like wouldn't be weird for me to hang out the front.
Speaker 2: You're scaring the hose, babe, Get out of there.
Speaker 3: The inspection was at eleven thirty five, and I walked out of the house of eleven thirty old. Better yeat out before everyone arrives. I walk out of my front door, all down the stairs people oops, And I had to be like, oh, hey, it's a great place, you're going to really love it. I almost considered, oh, you know, but there's a fudge ton of mold in the bathroom, but I thought I'll hold.
Speaker 2: A little treat for them to find out when they finally so.
Speaker 3: I got to see who went to and fro then and it kind of gave me hope, like everyone looked pretty legit. But then on the Saturday, which is the real heathen day, I was out looking at a different house. So I was doing an open for inspection or crossing, which was in the same situation as me. Obviously, three women had lived there, all of their stuff everywhere, retainers on the nightstand. It was like, if you ever think that your life isn't original, go to an open house where everyone's shit is everywhere.
Speaker 2: I had to do all kinds of things.
Speaker 3: I had to lock up my bedside table with tape, like tape it over. I had to put a blanket over all my unities and my bras because I don't know if I spoke about some on the show, but my Lululemon leggings got stolen out of the communal washing machine. The other day, I came back to click my stuff. Someone's taking my lou lemon legging no way, so targeted, really scary stuff. And yeah, it was like a very violating experience. Anyway, got back that evening, took all my stuff out, and the next day I went to put my perfume on.
Speaker 2: Perfumes are missing from the inspection.
Speaker 3: From the inspection, shut up, freaking out. It's the Saint James one.
Speaker 2: I really like this.
Speaker 3: Well, this is the thing. I freaked out, and I had a big day this day that I found out. On the Sunday, I was working all day, really stress full. I come home and I realized later I'd put them under some other clothes.
Speaker 2: Oh, in anticipation, that's okay, okay, but I felt frustrated.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna call the manager. I was going full Karen until I realized my error of my wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah it happened. Though, the idea of going into a house inspection of a currently occupied house is so apocalyptic to me. I've done that one time, maybe like seven eight years ago. Now. It was in Glebe. Not only was somebody occupying that property was still sleeping and it was like I had to be one of twenty people going up this small, tiny, one bedroom terror situation, Like you had to duck together the can. I were asleep in bed. They are whole sleeping, had no people. I felt like we were all Simms who were on free will MO but didn't know what to do because when we got to like the thoroughfare, we were just like just pivoting on our own access because we were like, there's nowhere else to look. It was so bad the sims in the house. It was just super scary. So never again. There has to be better rules for that. Honestly, I think there needs to be like a separate avenue of real estate that's accommodating for the fact that some people work full time hours and some people aren't comfortable with you just like putting their house on display. I think sometimes it does the house too much justice to have persons pre existing surgniture and stuff in there when selling it to a new person, Like I can't see the mold from behind the lallabo perfume.
Speaker 3: I know I'm bumming the price up with my items.
Speaker 2: Have they raised the price?
Speaker 3: Yes, gone up seventy dollars a week what Yeah, heavy to be glad to get you out of there, Oh for sure. And I'm a little bit of it, you know. I'm a current dishwashers are broken. Yeah, mold needs to be wiped. The most mind thing. I'm saying an email immediately so I will keep you updated with my next house move. I've got my two housemates prepared. We're currently on the lookout if anybody knows any good three person houses going.
Speaker 1: Flex and frooms.
Speaker 2: It has been a wayward desert apocalyptic mess in my DM's the last couple of weeks. It started with people speculating that I live in a windowless luxury apartment. That hit. That was a strange one, but I think it's set the tone for what's to come, which is suspicions that I flex influencer police, anonymous Instagram account celebspell check whoa big accusation. Do I know where it's coming from? Not quite. I did receive a message out of the blue, and I emphasized that because a lot of the people that I interact with on Instagram are people that have had a previous conversation with me. Because I try and you know, keep active, I want to respond to things if you're talking to me, I want to talk back to you. So it is very odd when someone is not a new follower but they've never messaged me before. I'm like, what's that about?
Speaker 3: What would be doing?
Speaker 2: Either? Ops? Anyway, this person messages me, are you slip spell check out of the blue, I'm thinking what I do? What signs are there? Now? You have to understand influencers broadly don't like slap spell check because they point out your typos, your inconsistencies, maybe the contradictions and what you said last week to this week, maybe the fact that you might have roasted that brand before you did the sponsor post. It's all up with the receipts, with the dates sledspell Check has been called out so many times by influence appears a ton of times, and people say sleves spell check is a bully, or they're you know, not being fair, or they're targeting particular people, or you know, they're painting influencers with a broad brushstroke or whatever it might be, or just maybe being a bit too nitpicky and creating an environment that's hostile and encouraging other people to also continued that behavior. It's neither here nor there, but the fact that people think it's me Number one, I won't deny it. Okay, I'm not gonna deny it, because now that I'm looking at it, I'm seeing some similarities. It could be me, could not be me. For all intents and purposes. If you have positive associations with the account, just say it's me. If it's negative, just leave it. Who did people guess? Because then you put it on your box? Who else could spellcheck be? So I did ask the Internet who they thought spell check was. If it's not going to be me, there were speculations that it just has to be some random girl who works in pr who has enough intel to know behind the scenes of influencer stuff and who has incentive to be so across everything like that. It's highly likely that they have a job where they have to monitor influencer behavior and that's why they're very quick to catch on to it. It must be someone who has aspirations of being an influencer and in doing so up this weird parasocial kind of like symbiotic relationship with them, where like you're not part of them, but you are among them. And then, oddly enough, the first non random person suggestion was you, and I was like, is that just like a brand association thing? Like now that we've said flex, you're like, oh, it must be rooms people, said Melissa Mason, who currently works at.
Speaker 3: L I think she's a freelancer. Yeah, but she's a writer.
Speaker 2: We used to rights a fashion journal, rights a pedestrian. I'm like, that's a good one. Zara McDonald from Shameless podcast. That was one that came up quite a bit. These are all good guesses, but I think that, I mean, I don't want to give way too much now, so I'm gonna set out other names. I'm going to stop there. They were. Look, I think the thing that I found really interesting is that not only were there other names, but slept spell check did go on private since your posts. Yeah, and they do that every now and then. But I think they don't want to be found out because there was a time where Slove spell Check aka Flex had to deactivate for a couple of months because I got a bit too hectic. I did touch briefly on the fact that slip spell check did have to deactivate Instagram again, and I could imagine it's for a number of reasons that we will not know about I do remember them doxing influences for doing drugs, and then that kind of blew up in a weird way because it's like one thing for you to incriminate yourself accidentally and delete it, but then it gets amplified by this account who tags more people, and they tag more people, et cetera, et cetera. I also think that what started off as being like a fun place actually got to be quite like toxic, dangerous or whatever. But it's because people don't know how to self regulate. From my understanding, spell check provides the entertainment. You take it to your private spaces, have a bit of a giggle. It started getting real like Lord of the Flies and the comments there, people you know, being like, oh check my DM, I've got more gossip for you, or like adding in flavor, or like I used to go to high school with this person, I've got more information. It was like very convenient pylons. I don't know if I would feel better or worse about it if I wasn't so tied to it, like I've not been on the page. I don't imagine I know anyone who's really been on the page very often, So it's not like close to me, but I do think it's very tricky. When you decide to play Judge and Durik, you gotta accept the responsibility. You can't just back down when it gets too hectic, when people like you're responsible for platforming comments. And I think celeb cell check was like nah, baby, like, I didn't sign up for this, but I remember when they diactuated. They made a post and said it was in twenty twenty one. This account has become too big, too powerful, and too time consuming for me to enjoy running it anymore. There is no scandalous reason behind this decision. I'm not being threatened or sued or controlled in any way. I'll be permanently deleting the account tomorrow. Thank you so much to everyone who has followed and supported the page. Then they did, but then twenty twenty two when they're back, it's.
Speaker 3: A new celeb spell check, because it could have been different people the whole time. I have a big fat bone to pick with celeb Spellcheck.
Speaker 2: I really don't like it.
Speaker 3: I've never liked it, never had an interest in following it. I think it's gross, I think it's boring. I think they pick on women.
Speaker 2: I know that like in.
Speaker 3: Australia there's more female influencers than men influencers, supposedly. It really riles me up. That whole page and that whole concept. I just I think what you're saying about it becoming dangerous. I think it is dangerous. I think about it from my own perspective of like, I'm such a sensitive person that if I was ever on that page it would really really spin me out. And so I have so much respect for the people that have been targeted on it and are still okay and still do their job. Like I think people don't realize even if you're posting all the time, you're not a fair target. People aren't fair targets just because they're influencers and you're like, someone might do something that's really shit or offensive all this or that, but the punishment that they get from being on one of these pages, I don't know. It just really hits me in the wrong spot. Slow spell check.
Speaker 2: Do you think there was ever a time where it was just and it's spiraled out of control or the fundamentals of it you're not interested in.
Speaker 3: At the very start, that was funny because it was what it said, it was celeb Spellcheck.
Speaker 2: But then it just was calling out typos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just came dosing, like particularly women influencers, beauty influencers, and it's just an opportunity to pylon for people to be sending sensitive information. Like I'm getting angry thinking about it, and I'm not even in the remit, Like I don't think I would ever make the page, but it's still I could never support that. I don't even like jimmu or whatever. Dum dumoi M do you seem fine with it? Like what's your I'm annoying because I can't articulate what it is, what you don't like about it? Yeah, like I can't get into words right now.
Speaker 2: I think, like a lot of things, it's sort of like it's conceived from a necessary place, like the influencer media landscape is a media landscape. I think we should be able to have access to it as we would with any kind of celebrity or entertainment news. I think that's quite fun and funny. But I think if Celeb's spell Check existed without the ability for everyone to create commentary around it, it would be a far more fair place. But I think it's because what has happened is that slop spell check has created this really fertile ecosystem for everybody to do the most heinous things in that place, Like this is where we go to pylon to be rude, to call in, to call out, and people get high off like being part of something right, and so they don't know or they're not considering that, like is this the most appropriate place for this to happen? Is it necessary? Does the punishment fit the crime? You know? So on and so forth. But I also feel as though, like it is really interesting to see how influencers often respond when they see themselves reflected back at themselves. Like I think a lot of the time it's a one way conversation where they put stuff or where we put stuff into the ether with very little consideration for how it gets perceived outside. And sometimes I think slop spell check applies fresh eyes to a conversation. Like you know, you'll see posts of certain people like using their clout to call out a small business or something when it's like you knew the channels, like just go through an email, go through something else. It's like you obviously know that, Like you have the privilege to do that, But what is the consequence of doing so. I think a lot of us influencers or operate with no consequence for anything, And I think the solution is not a celeb spell check. The solution is not having a bunch of people on the internet nitpick at you for every minor thing that you do. But it is also interesting seeing like when there is no sheriff on town, like how does like a punitive system evolve and how does it get addressed? It's very fascinating. I find. Well.
Speaker 3: The other day, I like, my local post office is so busy, and I walked up the other like there was a massive line, but I walked the side bit, which is like deliveries and pickups, thinking it was like a different alternative way, and I rock up and she's like you need to be in the line, like what are you doing? And I'd walk past everyone and I walked out thinking, holy fuck, it looks like I think I'm like eating up the line, which like maybe subconsciously I was. It was the weirdest. It's like when you do something and then you think about it later and you think, what the that was so crazy that I did?
Speaker 2: That was I thinking when you name check yourself it's from Okay, so them actually Radio presence sucked up.
Speaker 3: But there was one final thing I wanted to say about that. The difference between that and entertainment sites is that up until you know, five years ago, you had to put your name too a story. So when I used to work in this kind of shit and I would write about people, I tried to never do it because I was just not interested. But when I ever did have to write something that was like a little bit on the nose about what an influence I had did, I just take my name out of it and put written by like whatever the place I worked for was. And it was just such a fucking cop out. Like if you work in media and you're not willing to put your name to something, that's calling someone else out, Like you have a duty of care as slab spell check, as the writer of the thing. Like you are also operating in the ecosystem and adding your two cents, so you should also be able to be ripped. We've seen it when journalists have added people or done the xyz xyz, they do get ripped. But I think, yeah, if you're playing in that space. All that said, I don't want to do la la la, la la. I just want to live in a fun world, not interested in any drama.
Speaker 2: Let's chill and be vibes.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms on da.
Speaker 2: Like I have said time and time again, my dms are a wayward place. You don't know what you're gonna find when you open one up. What's the worst thing? Ah? Just like really racially insensitive stuff, but like virtue signally, Like my boyfriend says that insert ethnic group are insert slur? But like is he racist? My babies? Please delete me, please unfollow delete And then people drive the list Twilight memes, but the movie came out ten years ago. I've seen every meme, I promise you. Then there's this like viral footbear that everyone wants to send me. I promise you I've seen it. But every now and then we get a gem like today, this person Charlotte asked me this question to post to you his first name. Okay, that's a nice little tree. You know. I didn't do. I got a full name here, and I avoided saying it anyway. I digress. Would you rather live in a world where public space doesn't exist or where private space doesn't exist? Who? Wash? Then she goes on to say, for a bit of an explanation, I thought of the world where public space not existing, being similar to the COVID world in the sense that everyone would have their own homes private space, and they would only be able to invite people into their space if they wanted to. In addition, public space is such as stadiums, parks, restaurants, bars, clubs, airports, train stations wouldn't exist. Would also maybe encourage private forms of interacting with space, such as like a walking, cycling, or driving alone. I then thought of a world with no private space, being a bit like one big commune where everyone has designated spaces of living and working, but anyone could enter your space at any time vice versa. You could travel anywhere, and cool places such as museums, private attractions, palaces, houses, gardens would be accessible to everyone. WHOA isn't that hectic? Like my brain, All the little gremlins in my brain are like, okay, inspiring quick quick, rubbing their hands together. This is a real doozy. Please answer for me.
Speaker 3: So I believe this is really just asking would you rather live in a socialist society or a capitalist society? I mean private social being the public in that everyone can go to any space. Everyone can go to a castle, a museum, da da da private like because think about it, if the private space thing is true and you're really rich, it'd be amazing because you've got your whole big thing. Personally, I'm going with the private space, all privates, no public spaces, purely because of the Internet, and also because I like having my things, Oh my little sacred space. I want to put the lock on my door. I don't want anyone bursting into any given time. Sure does that mean all spontaneity will be sucked from my life?
Speaker 2: And so be it? So be it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be chilling. It's COVID two point zero. I've got my little family in my house. You know, might get some lonely tough times, but then you just go on neopets or what not.
Speaker 2: Exactly. I was so tempted to answer aspirationally and say, oh, you know, be so good, have all spaces be public. But I'm only thinking about the good things that would come from that, Like oh, it's like everything goes like a party and like you never feel alone. But realistically, how life is built up now for me, I kind of like having my own space, my own things, and the option to opt in and out of being in other people's spaces and things. There's something all about like individual responsibility of your stuff as well. Oh it was I remember thinking about when Sydney in particular got electric bikes and it was meant to be this amazing thing for all all of us to use and enjoy and to take care of. And almost immediately why they're being thrown into the water, like this is why we can't have nice things. This is why I like to go out and buy my own electric bike because I wouldn' couldn't jump on a line with a broken seat. Again, I didn't want to do that. So private space is only wow. I mean, it might start charging door fee to come.
Speaker 3: Into your house when you even have your dinner party.
Speaker 2: Have me over, it's coming, babe, please, I'm still waiting for four O the dining chairs. Damn.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms, so.
Speaker 3: FLEXI as you know, I'm a tight ass.
Speaker 2: I'm learning that about you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just is what I am. I'm trying to grow out of it. I'm sure when I never come forward, I'm going to be more chill. But right now, the pennies be pinching. Well, it's good, and so therefore I have only one subscription service.
Speaker 2: That's oh no, that's not true.
Speaker 3: I have a few subscription services, but one of them that I've recently got, begrudgingly, of course, is Binge.
Speaker 2: Why begrudgingly? I don't like paying for things.
Speaker 3: Got it just by the fact that I work in industry where people need to pay for things in order to pay the creators. I'm out here wanting the freest experience.
Speaker 2: Possible, and you won't go out of your way to fish a log in from a friend or Oh I've done a.
Speaker 3: Bit of that. I'm on the family account for Netflix. I get course and double with Stan. But I just thought, yep, I've got to bite the bullet and get Binge.
Speaker 2: It's so funny.
Speaker 3: I live in a world where I think that I'm maintain and I can't afford things.
Speaker 2: Literally, you've got the budget if they you can accommodate.
Speaker 3: So anyway, I download a Binge because I wanted to watch American horror stories because my sister Olivia.
Speaker 2: Just the way that you said that American horror I'm like, is that a pun?
Speaker 3: No, that's just a type over the brain. My sister loves it. When I was in Melbourne last so I've just spoken about on the podcast, we spent two days in bed watching American horror stories. It was like a fever dream and I've been hooked ever since. And anyway, log onto Binge the other day and I see they've got Insight.
Speaker 2: Yes, show on a Binge, Like, what the hell? What is this?
Speaker 3: Cross pollination? Obviously I watched Examination more like it? Ya, how does that even work? I'm not sure because I'm pretty sure Binge is foxtail. Whatever it is, I'm happy for them to be yeating on each other. This episode of Insight, I'd had my eye on it for a few weeks months and I hadn't gotten around to watching it. It was called Reputation Rebuilt.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of this? No, I've heard of reputation rehab.
Speaker 3: Different, different, So this was an Insight.
Speaker 2: Do you know what Inside is? Yeah, but I haven't watched it. It's like four Corners.
Speaker 3: It's a live studio audience with the host who brings a topic. So this topic was when people's reputation is dragged through the mud, how do you repair? Yeah, the people that they had on were super super interesting. For example, it was mel Greek who was the dj emboiled in the royal prank called Scandal. Obviously her life was really changed by what happened. She was so brave to come on the show and talk about her. I think she's amazing. Like I walked away from watching that wanting to DM her and just be like, you are amazing.
Speaker 2: There's still time. Yeah, I don't know. It really hit me, but yees.
Speaker 3: Essentially, people came on and the host would play a little snippet of whatever they did. So there was another guy that owned a few cafes and abused one of the workers because they weren't working. They played that tape in front of the audience. But it got me thinking. Let's say you your reputation was dragged through the mud, and you're a malgreg and you've worked for twenty years in the industry, got your dream job, and then you do something that goes catastrophizingly wrong.
Speaker 2: MM, how would you react? I have no idea because I can imagine for a lot of what I see people get canceled for. It is stuff that could have been remedied by either doubling down and being like no, no, no, you didn't misunderstand me like I meant what I said, because there's a lot of that missing when people get you know, called out or called in for having an opinion that doesn't match with the norm. And it's like the canceling gets more and more intense when you backtrack and say, well, I didn't know what I meant, or I never meant to say that, or that's not how it came acros. You rarely see a double downer being like no, no, no, I said it, And here is me elaborating on why I think that way. I think there's not enough room for that. And secondly, I can imagine a lot of what goes wrong when someone gets canceled is they rush to remedy it. And with most things, it's gonna take time time for you to understand what went wrong, time for you to understand how much this is going to escalate before you jump in and decide to like stop the train on its tracks, before it's gotten to the stop all of those things. I feel as though, knowing the way that the internet works now, it's silence time and actual retrospection that is going to get you through it, because when people rush to address things. It's like we don't even know the full story yet, and something you're telling me that you're sorry, Hold on a second. Sometimes you don't need to provide context because a lot of what happens on the internet is wilful ignorance, people choosing not to see that this could be interpreted in a way that isn't offensive. What do you think it'd be canceled for? Because that's the thing that I can't get past them. Like I've already set myself up. I'm like not going to be a virtuous person. I'm one degree away from problematic. Like I've spent how many years on the Internet saying what I think because I think it? What are we going to do about it? Now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't even know in your peripheries.
Speaker 2: That sounds really scary. Let's stop talking about that.
Speaker 3: No, but you should definitely watch it, very interesting viewing.
Speaker 2: Insight on your eyes, getting minicle watching. Let's plan a practice. No, it's not in my reality, we're not doing that.
Speaker 1: You're listening to flex and frooms on KA.
Speaker 2: I come bearing some good news though, which is a rare, rare treat. But Scotland has just recently announced a two year rent freeze in response to what they're saying is a humanitarian crisis due to the cost of living. So for two years, no rents can be increased, which is amazing and obviously like landlords are not happy about it, but you know, it's neither here nor there, which reminds me that a couple of months ago, the Greens proposed a rent freeze. I'm not sure what the progresses with that, but imagine I was, I don't want to rent freeze. I want to rent reduction. I want a rent reduction.
Speaker 3: Also, I was having a conversation the other day with our friend Mickey b Yeah, and I was like, oh, like, would you buy an investment property?
Speaker 2: Dah da da. He's like, I don't believe in investment properties. Like what do you mean?
Speaker 3: He's like, I don't believe in houses is investments or places to keep your money because it totally fudges with the inflation of other properties.
Speaker 2: I had never even thought of it like that.
Speaker 3: I just thought, like, literally, our properties up, but I didn't realize, oh my god, that means it's actually worse for all of us. I know that's basic societal you know knowledge, but it's basic economics.
Speaker 2: But it's important because it's the same way how everyone's like, get a house, is it an investment? Like, yeah, if you can sell it, but if none of us can afford to buy them, then what kind of investment? Is it? Not good? It's not great. But that's how they kind of get you, like, we've created this corrupt We're not created, but we perpetuate a corrupt system. That means that, you know, my personal advancement is on the back of somebody else's displacement or disadvancement.
Speaker 3: Quite literal displacement. Yeah, scary vibes.
Speaker 2: It's not hot.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast For more, tune need Decater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.