Speaker 1: That is why this concept of a scoreboard is so important in your life, because if you have the right scoreboard, then your actions will align around the right things. But if you have a broken scoreboard, you will take the wrong actions.
Speaker 2: If you find yourself feeling like you never have the time and energy for the things that are really important, then this episode is for you. My guest today is sakhiel Bloom, the New York Times best selling author of The Five Types of Wealth and managing partner of SRB Ventures.
Speaker 1: There's no such thing as holding something in life. You are either a buyer or you are a seller of that thing.
Speaker 2: And it is really easy for relationships to be the first thing that goes like. What are some practices that you have found have served you, particularly in those really busy and hectic times.
Speaker 1: The number one practice I have is a rule, which is.
Speaker 2: I want to know Sakhel's number one rule for strengthening social connections. Find out in this episode. Welcome to How I Work, a show about habits, rituals, and strategies for optimizing your day. I'm your host, doctor Amantha Impa. I want to start by talking about the concept of a broken scoreboard. Can you tell me what does this mean?
Speaker 1: This is the idea that what you measure in life really matters. We don't often think about how much impact the things that we are measuring have on our actions on a day to day basis. But you don't have to look very far to realize that impact. You know, think about the person that puts on like a sleep tracker ring or one of those wristbands, and then all of a sudden, they're like the most annoying sleep person in the world. They're like, Oh, I can't go out because I need to optimize this. My sleep score will be screwed up. All of these things Suddenly your actions start falling in line with the thing that you were measuring. Peter Drucker, this famous management theorist, said, what gets measured gets managed. That's the idea that the thing that you can measure becomes the thing that you optimize around. It's the thing that you sort of myopically hone in on. That is why this concept of a scoreboard is so important in your life, because if you have the right scoreboard, then your actions will align around the right things. But if you have a broken scoreboard, which I'll argue we do, you will take the wrong actions. And that was really the realization that sparked this entire journey for me was the idea that we were only measuring one thing to sort of sum up our life in our worth, and that was money.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of a time this is a few years back, where I was at a conference in Vancouver and I met a really senior executive from Google and he was telling me about hum and his family. Obviously, they have a chaos work at Google and they're famous for it, but he said he took it into his personal life and every quarter him and his wife sat down and they set personal okayrs, what is your process for setting the right metrics in your life and with your family?
Speaker 1: I think it all starts with figuring out what your priorities actually are. I would say that that is the first biggest picture exercise that people need to think about. Very few people really take the time to think about what is the life you actually want to build. So the question that I like to ask myself, which I think everyone should ask, is to sit down and say, if a third party were to come in and observe my actions for a week, they were to come in and just watch me for a week, what would they say my priorities are? And the recognition there is that there is a big gap between what you would say your priorities are and what your actions show your priorities are.
Speaker 2: How often do you personally reflect on that, like in the last year, because it's always interesting, Like I don't know, when you write about concepts and some of them just kind of seep in and they become you, but some of them you still have to deliberately realign. So I'm curious, how does it work for you right now?
Speaker 1: I do something I call a think day about once a month. But think day is the idea of carving out one to two hours once a month to go to a new, new open space, a coffee shop outside, et cetera. Bring a journal, bring a pen, and just think on some of these bigger picture questions of your life. Reflect on them, allow yourself the space to see the bigger picture, and then to make course corrections along the way. I find that every single time I do it, there's somewhere that I've gotten a little bit off kilter, fallen a little off course. And the truth is that those tiny course corrections are very impactful in the long run. There's this concept in aviation, the one in sixty rule that for every one degree error in heading, a plane will miss its eventual target by a mile for every sixty miles flown. So the idea is that small deviations and course are amplified by distance and time. Your life is no different when when you are slightly off course, it is going to have a big impact over five, ten, fifteen years. So making yourself have a ritual or a habit to create the space and to identify these course corrections that need to happen so that you can execute on them, that's been really impactful in my life.
Speaker 2: I was reading on your LinkedIn Fate that you actually went on a think week, if I'm correct, and came back from that like quite recently. How do you stretch a think week as distinct from a think day.
Speaker 1: Technically was three days, but I'm calling it a think week because it was most of a working week. The idea was for it to be as unstructured as possible. I personally think the whole point is to create enough space that you are sort of able to think differently and more broadly. The way that we did it, I did it with my business partner was that we each proposed sort of a set of reflection questions, big picture questions that we wanted to think on. And the idea is that we would pose a question. We'd kind of have a session set up, say like a couple hour block, and we would just go out into some open space, bring a notebook, and we would pose the question, and then we would each spend however long hour two hours thinking and journaling on it. Then we would come together for some sort of meal and sort of talk through reflect on pressure test what those insights were that we had as we were writing.
Speaker 2: Could you share examples of some of the questions that you pised.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One of the biggest ones for me is what did I know for sure that just wasn't so. There are these things that we automatically assume are correct that we've been told our entire life, like we know for sure that those things are so, and in reality they are not. And making sure that you recognize those in real time and that you're able to change your mind on those things is really important. It's also very uncomfortable, so most people don't do it because it requires you sort of breaking down your own ego and your own correctness in favor of finding the truth. All of this is sort of about a long term truth seeking operation that you are trying to get closer and closer to the truth and your relationships and your work and your personal life in all of these areas. So that one I found to be really impactful because for me, it's sort of identified. I mean, one really major insight about how I've been operating and working that I think if I had continued to perpetuate and repeat, would have really held me back and would have harmed my life in a number of different ways.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm curious, So you were able to share what that was. If it's not too personal, No, it's.
Speaker 1: Not too personal. I had, for the longest time had the belief that my path to building something really interesting, engaging and big from a business standpoint around this platform that I've created in these ideas was to take a lot lot of different sort of swings and a lot of different bets that around the world and have sort of like a small amount of energy deployed across a bunch of different things. That sort of a venture capital portfolio, if you will, for those in the investing world, and that a couple of those would work out to an enormous extent. Most of them might not, or they would be small, and that would lead to a good overall outcome across the portfolio. What I found and what I confronted was just this idea that actually, when it comes to my energy and my attention, that was harming more than it helped, because being scattered across one hundred things just meant that I was going to do none of them well and make myself miserable in the process, And so it precipitated a pretty radical simplification of my entire business and life ecosystem. I will be going into much more of a season of no, if you will, when it comes to taking things on and really trimming the things that I am sort of actively engaged in and involved in.
Speaker 2: Accordingly, how do you make decisions then, with this new perspective around firstly, what to drop that you're currently committed to, and then what will you say no to that you'd previously said yes to.
Speaker 1: I have a couple of different ways I think about this. So the first one is, if you are currently doing something, you have to look at it as either I am a buyer of this thing, I e. I'm going to continue doing it. I think it makes sense to continue doing and investing my time, energy, and attention in which are your most precious assets. Or I'm a seller of it, meaning I would not buy this right now based on what my current ecosystem is, so I don't think it should continue to exist. I'm a seller of it. That doesn't mean that you can immediately exit it, but it means that you should start thinking about are there ways to exit whatever this situation is. The second thing I would say is I have a test. I talk about this in the book. I call it my new Opportunity test, and it is a really useful heuristic or if you will, for looking at new opportunities and very quickly deciding whether it's one that makes sense. And it is basically to say, if I assume that this thing, whatever it is, is going to take twice as long and be half as rewarding or profitable as I currently think, would I still want to go do it. The reason that's such a useful heuristic is because we tend to be overly optimistic at the outset of something new. We get the shiny object syndrome. There's a new opportunity. It's sitting off here. You're like, Wow, it's going to be so great. I'm gonna make all this money, or it's gonna be so enriching, so rewarding in all these ways, and we get into too many things because of that optimism. Podcasting is a great example. There are a lot of people who love the idea of having the winning version of a podcast. They're like, Oh, I love the idea of having a big podcast. Everyone listens to me, I get great guests, I have all these cool conversations, I get to travel. It's such a great thing, the winning version. And they asked that question themselves and they say, yeah, hell, yes, I want the winning version of this thing. But very few people are willing to do the losing version for as long as is necessary to get to the winning version. It's years for most people, grinding through the mud, crawling like hard conversations, you know, navigating, booking, all of the research, all of the challenging aspects. So if you are willing to do the losing version long enough to earn the winning version, it tends to be a great thing to then go take on.
Speaker 2: I love that as a perspective, something that you recently posted, and I was reading it on LinkedIn. I think this is from a couple of days ago. You said that you're optimistically pessimistic about AI, and I found that curious, Like, as someone that invests in AI companies and I imagine is using it a lot in your work life, tell me what you mean by that.
Speaker 1: I actually, you know this is funny. I think optimistically pessimistic was the nicest way that I could possibly have said that. If I'm being completely honest with you, I am mildly terrified of what the future looks like. Yeah, I have a young son. I have a three year old, so a lot of things that I think about the future are viewed through the lens of what his future is going to look like. And I have some pretty serious concerns about what that future looks like. Given what I'm starting to see, I do not believe that anyone has the incentive to think humanity wide about the implications of the technology that we are building. I see companies that have the incentive to go as fast as possible to generate the most profit, to get the biggest releases so that they can maximize profits. I see countries that have the incentive to go as fast as possible so that their geopolitical foe does not get the thing before them. Everyone is going to rush, rush, rushrush, rush, without ever thinking about what happens if the genie gets out of the bottle, and humans are notoriously bad at acting early enough to get out in front of exponential growth, whether it's with a pandemic or whether it's with technological expansion and growth. The other piece that's concerning to me is the idea of enormous job displacement that is simultaneously paired with a booming stock market. I can see a world where you have twenty to thirty percent unemployment of knowledge workers and a stock market that has never been higher because that unemployment has come in line with enormous efficiencies that have bolstered profits to an extraordinary extent. And I think that the unrest and upheaval that comes from a world where they're rich are so massively richer because they're invested in equities and sort of the middle class and lower income folks are all unemployed is a really scary prospect.
Speaker 2: I would love to also understand, like how you think about it on more of a micro day to day level, and where are the ways that you're currently using and experimenting with it in your own workflows to augment your own work and thinking.
Speaker 1: I do my own writing mainly because I love writing, and writing is how I think. Clearly, If I did not write these things myself, I would never be able to articulate them or have conversations about them, which is why I value writing so much. I will use AI as a brainstorming partner, as like a thought collector, as like a research assistant in a variety of cases. You know, I'm currently working on seeing if I can build like a sort of like a proper like book research assistant that effectively works twenty four to seven to kind of source and find me interesting things that I can incorporate into my next book. And the technology sort of exists that you're starting to get close to that world. My dad jokes about this. He spent his whole career as a researcher. He's an academic professor. How much time he spent like in libraries looking at old texts and research and then you know how much time he's spent paying research associates in people insistence to dig up all of these studies and all the sources and now it can all be done, you know, like effectively instantaneously, and so again, thinking through implications of all that is interesting. I think in the short term it allows for, you know, kind of a lowering of you know, the prerequisites necessary to create and share ideas that are a world positive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny what you say about writing. I can definitely relate to that as a writer that needs to use their writing to work out their thinking. And I was having a conversation with a friend of mine yesterday who's his a writer as well, has written many books, mostly through Harvard, and he was saying, for the first time in his book contract there was a clause that said you can't use AI to create any content in this book. More from a copyright point of view, is a writing quality point of view, But I find that quite intriguing. I would love to know when you're writing, because you're so prolific online with your newsletter and social media, Like, what's your process or what rituals do you have in place around how you do that, because it doesn't seem like it's scatter gun and just waiting for that spock to heit you.
Speaker 1: I don't have a schedule of stuff that's scheduled to go out for the next week. When you see me post on LinkedIn, ninety nine percent of the time, I wrote it right then and then posted it. And that's just part of how I work. I have a really tough time thinking far in advance on anything creative. I like to write about things that kind of sparked my interest, like the Think Week. I wrote a newsletter on that because I was flying home from the Think Week and I was like, Oh, I need to write down all these insights and reflections that I had. So what I think about from a structure standpoint is a little bit different than how most people think about creating content or creating sharing ideas. Most people think that that is about creation. I view creation as one of say four steps that are really in this process. The first step is consumption. It is to say that you actually need to consume at the top of funnel interesting ideas and sort of immerse your brain and interesting ideas through things you read, listen to conversations you have, et cetera. I am structured about that. I make sure that every single day I'm reading for at least an hour. I read thirty minutes first thing in the morning when I wake up, and then I read thirty minutes in the evening, later in the day in the sauna or just sort of quiet reading time. Read anything. I mean, I read everything from like physics books to books about history and geography, to just anything that's kind of sparking my interest. So that's sort of the consumption piece. The second piece is about ideation. This is really about the idea of like, I need to make sure that I have time to think, because that is when the ideas are kind of intermingling, connecting, sparking these new ways of thinking about them. Sometimes the ideation is individual on a walk. Sometimes it's a conversation trying to bat things around with someone. But again, I am structured about that I have time during my day when I am just thinking, you know, when I'm like going out on a walk just stewing on these ideas. Then comes the creation process of being able to sit down and really think about turning those ideas into something that I can put out into the world. And then the final piece is sort of thinking about amplification. It's like where all does this go out? Generally speaking, I think about writing a newsletter, and then we think about taking it from the newsletter and how it goes out across different mediums in video or written format. But it sort of depends on the given situation.
Speaker 2: Something I heard you did and I think I heard it in a YouTube video and I'm not sure if it's in the five Types of wealth. But you talked about when you were growing on Twitter or x several years ago that you formed the I think it was called the one hundred K Club. Can you tell me about that?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, So when I was just starting to write on Twitter. This is men of twenty twenty. I first started writing there, I was starting to have some traction. I was writing about business and markets and finance. I was still working in my full time day job as an investor, and maybe late twenty twenty, there was like a small group of people across sort of like technology investing, entrepreneurship that we'd kind of become friendly with from just you know, interacting on Twitter. And I got a message from one of them saying, Hey, like going to make a group chat where we can kind of like share what's working, what's not, support each other, you know, just like generally people that are trying to grow their platform on Twitter, and we can share ideas, so I said cool. We ended up forming it. That was late twenty twenty, and it ended up becoming an enormous, you know, sort of like force multiplier on all of our efforts and our ability to grow and reach more people. And all of those people have now grown their platforms but also just like their businesses in a variety of different ways. And we all still have the group chat. It is still active, it's still there. We still interact in there, not about the same stuff that we did in the early on days, but it has been a really cool thing and a great lesson that having a community of people who are sort of in the trenches with you on these journeys can be really impactful.
Speaker 2: Well, some of the tactics that came out of that group, I guess in its first year of existence that really shifted the needle for you.
Speaker 1: It was very focused on sort of the nitty gritty, so you know, one of the big ones was like how to craft a kind of hook to a tweet that was most likely to grab people and drive the highest number of like clickthroughs and impressions. There was a lot of how to convert people to subscribe to your newsletter. At the end of these kind of longer form Twitter posts, you know, the types of content that were really getting shared, you know, whether like visuals versus no visuals, the sort of like pillars and archetypes of the types of content. It was pretty nitty gritty in terms of the things that people were focused on, because these were like real business operators or invest that liked to get in the weeds. It wasn't just like, oh, good job, you know, pat each other on the back type thing. It was very much like sharing best practices. Everyone was kind of in their own domain, so no one was competitive with one another, at least not beyond a friendly level. It was really really useful.
Speaker 2: We will be back with Sahil soon and when we come back, we'll discuss how you can use social wealth to vastly improve your life and his number one rule for strengthening social connections. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way you work can live. I write a short weekly newsletter that contains tactics I've discovered that have helped me personally. You can sign up for that at Amantha dot com. That's Amantha dot com. I love the sound of it. I would love to talk about social wealth, which was one of the five types of wealth that you talk about in your book, Like I would love to know for what's the biggest mistake that you see people making when it comes to social wealth, And perhaps maybe we need to define it in case that is not obvious, what it means to be socially wealthy. Let's start there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, social wealth is just about your relationships. It's about a recognition of relationships as an asset that compounds over the long run if you invest in those things. And that ties to the most common mistake that I see, which is thinking that relationships are just a static entity and not something that compounds, and not something that will pay the greatest returns and dividends in life. The reality, in the science and in our own anecdotal experience is that relationships are the single greatest predictor of a happy, healthy life. The strength of your relationships determines those outcomes. And yet they tend to be the first thing that fall by the wayside when we get busy. You know, you get busy in life, and you stop texting the friends, you stop calling your mom. You don't get that old group of buddies together for the annual trip, all of those things start to fall when in reality, those are the things that are going to contribute to the great life that you are trying to build. And so recognizing that and realizing that really anything above zero compounds. A tiny action done for a friend or a family member is something that is going to compound and stack over the long run. Showing up for these people during their time of needs, showing up when it's not easy. These people will be there for you when your life is in a tough spot.
Speaker 2: How do you I guess action the principles around social wealth when I imagine and particularly like with the insight that you shared around you had taken on a lot, a lot of different things that perhaps you are now going to draw and I just know you know what it's like being incredibly busy, and it is really easy for relationships to be the first thing that goes Like, what are some practices that you have found have served you, particularly in those really busy and hectic times.
Speaker 1: The number one practice I have is a rule which is when you think something nice about someone, let them know right then I am very good about that. I'm not great about replying to text messages or emails really promptly, because I'm overloaded most of the time. But I'm very good about sending someone a message when I think something nice about them, and that has a powerful effect of keeping you in touch with people, of creating this level of connection with people over long, long periods of time. I have friends and people that I don't see very often at all anymore, but we still feel really connected. Your one little hack is I have an iPhone. I don't know if anyone else does, but on the iPhone there's this like for you, sort of like photo memories feature, and once a week or so I'll go to that photo memories thing and I'll send the picture to people that are in it, so it'll prompt you know, some sort of memory from your life with friends, and if you just send it to them and say, you know, hey, great, like this was great times, fun time, whatever, it sparks a tiny little interaction with the person. You don't need to spend thirty minutes catching up with them, but it sparks a little interaction that just lets them know that you were thinking about them, and that goes a long way over long periods of time.
Speaker 2: When you like when you say, you know, when you think something nice about someone, you will communicate that, Like what's your go to? Like, you know, if we were friends, would I just like get an email out of the blue from you? Would I get a voice memory?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What does that look like?
Speaker 1: In practice, generally a text out of a blue yeah I'm not a great email or sometimes voice note if I'm driving or something like that, but generally speaking, a text just saying like, hey was thinking about you. I hope you're doing great, or you know, saw this thought of you, hope you're thriving. Something tiny like that. Not trying to force a catch up or a conversation, because oftentimes too then you like put a burden on the other person if there be they feel bad. It can just be super simple. I think it goes a long way.
Speaker 2: Tell me about the life dinner concept and how that works.
Speaker 1: Life dinner is an idea that I first came across from an entrepreneur named Brad Feld, who sort of recognized that when life starts to get chaotic and busy, there are a lot of things that start to naturally slip in a romantic partnership. Importantly, things like bigger picture catch ups about your vision for your relationship, for what your goals are, for the things that you're striving towards. And this life Dinner is an idea of creating a monthly date that is dedicated to those things. Its entire purpose is to catch up and talk about those bigger picture opportunities, goals, stresses, visions, etc. That the two of you have, both individually and for your command for your relationship. My wife and I have done this since our son was born, which is now three years in May twenty twenty two. Been an incredible ritual for keeping us connected when life got more chaotic than ever. There's the pushback that people like to have with this, which is like, you shouldn't have to do that, You should be talking every day. But once you have a kid and life starts to get a little chaotic, they're not sleeping a lot. You both have so many things going on that it can be hard to find the time to talk about what are our finances, what are the business things I'm excited about, what are the things you're excited about, what are the big picture goals we have for the next three years, And creating a monthly date dedicated to that makes sure that there is that touch point and does it in a fun way that doesn't make it feel like a chore. It's funny.
Speaker 2: I could really relate to that when I read that in your book. Something that my husband and I do. We call it a relationship check in. I think that's our latest language around it. And we've got like we've got to set agenda of questions that we go through. And I think it's so important to have out time to actually reflect on what has the last month actually been like when we sit and you know, be present about it, and then you know again looking to the future and going well, what are we trying to create here and are we on track? So I got to say it's been very powerful for us as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I completely agree. I love that you do that too. That's great.
Speaker 2: I would love to know, Like I mean, there are so many different tactics that you talk about in the Five Types of Wealth, And something I'm always curious about with authors that do write books that are you know, full of different strategies is for you personally now And I imagine it's probably been like a good twelve month since you've submitted the manuscript, you know, before it was released into the world, Like, what are maybe the sort of the two or three rituals or habits or strategies that right now like are just a serving you best, and they're things that maybe have an inordinate amount of impact considering the time investment.
Speaker 1: The one one one method that I write about in the mental wealth section is probably the one thing that kept me seeing during this entire easy period of my life and book launch. I had always wanted to be a journaler in my whole life. I always had these grand aspirations of what journaling looked like, that I'd sit down for thirty minutes in like a candlelit room and write beautiful prose for thirty minutes. And life always has different plans, And so what would happen was January first, I would try to make a journaling habit. By like January fifth, I would have broken it and it wouldn't happen. So I created this idea of a one one one method as my solution to try to build a journaling muscle. An idea was in the evening before going to bed, I would take a blank sheet of paper like this, and I would just write down one win from the day, something that I felt good about one point of stress, tension or anxiety, something that I want to get off my brain and onto the paper, and then one point of gratitude. Takes two to three minutes, maybe five minutes max if you're being really reflective, and it creates an immediate feeling of calm at the end of the day. And as someone who often struggled to go to sleep when I feel that kind of anxiety build and tension, it has been an enormous life improvement, and so in particular during these times of life that feel somewhat unbalanced when you're really sprinting on something. It was one simple two to three minute ritual that didn't add you know, time or craziness to my life, that just allowed me to reset at the end of every day, you know, really operate from a place of strength.
Speaker 2: I'd love to know anything else that comes to mind, like in terms of those daily or weekly things that have just had an enormous impact and continue to.
Speaker 1: I ground myself a lot in the physical I write about physical wealth in the book obviously, but physical rituals for me have a big impact because they dictate how I feel I show up in the world. I think that physical wealth has ripple effects into every other area of life. It is a catalyst in terms of how you look at yourself in the mirror, how you feel about yourself. You feel like a winner. You start operating like a winner in your relationships and your work in your life. So I have always that during stressful periods of time like the one I've been going through, making sure that I can handle these kind of like daily non negotiables when it comes to my physical health have been really impactful. And so for me, you know, that's trying to make sure that I sleep, you know, seven hours a night, sometimes at six, but try to get seven hours of sleep a night. Making sure I'm moving for thirty minutes a day, no matter what. That could be a walk, but it has to be something I have to move for thirty minutes a day. And then from an eating standpoint, that I'm prioritizing protein and having only really whole unprocessed foods, just like making sure that I'm having kind of single ingredient whole unprocessed foods. If I do those three things, I feel pretty good. I'm keeping myself in check in line, and I feel like that has ripple effects into how I show up all across my life.
Speaker 2: Something else I'm curious about is now that you know the book has been out in the world for several months and you've done many interviews, and I'm sure I've spoken to many readers, what are the two or three concepts that have resonated most with readers? And I'm like, I'm wondering, you know, if there's been any surprises there.
Speaker 1: You know, the dimmer switch mentality really resonated with people, and that was a bit surprising to me. I wasn't sure if that would really click. This is the idea that, like your life, these different areas of life can exist on dimmer switches. They don't need to be on off. And so while you have one dimmer switch turned up, you may be focusing on one area during this season of your life. You can have the others turned down low. They just can't be off, and low is better than nothing. Low is actually infinitely better than nothing because anything above zero compounds. That idea has really been sticky with people, and I see people actioning on that in a major way, which is fun for me to see. Anti goals, I would say, is the other one that has really jumped out. You know, this is the idea of like you know, goals are the summit of the mountain, the thing that we all know. We set goals at the beginning of the year. Anti goals are the things that you don't want to happen in your pursuit of those goals. So my goal might be to become CEO of the company. I want to go achieve that, but my anti goal may be traveling three hundred nights out of the year, or allowing my stress and health to deteriorate in pursuit of the goal. I want to achieve the goal, but not if it means having these anti goals become real. They provide the really useful and helpful boundary and sort of guardrails in your pursuit so that you can make those course corrections on the journey to make sure that you're not running a foul of these things that you don't want to happen, so that you can ultimately win the battle of achieving the goal, but also the much bigger picture war of its impact on your whole life.
Speaker 2: You seem like someone that is constantly experimenting with new things and new ways of living and working. What is something that you've recently been experimenting with in terms of something that is helping you, like in work all life.
Speaker 1: I recently started reading to start my mourning for thirty minutes, and I've really enjoyed that. I would say for the longest time, I had kind of always thought about like reading for purpose. It's sort of this separation between tellic and atellic activities. You know. Tellic activity is an activity done for a purpose. An atellic activity is an activity just done for the sake of it, no real clear purpose. And I sort of decided that I wanted to have like thirty minutes of kind of atellic reading time to start the day, to just like open my brain up a little bit wake up in the morning, if you will, and replace the time that I previously would like scroll on my phone when I got up in the morning with just read. And I have absolutely loved that, you know, I like, we'll go downstairs, get my coffee, go and sit in my office or stand here in my nice spot and turn on some bright lights to help me kind of wake up since I wake up really early and just have thirty minutes of quiet reading time. I got this little time glass thing I don't know if you can see that. It's a fifteen minute time glass. So I flip it over twice and I just kind of like read whatever grabs me. And I have a bookshelf behind me that's got a bunch of books on it. I don't like finish the book necessarily. I sort of just try to grab whatever is grabbing me that morning, and I'll just sit and read, and when it's not grabbing me, I'll switch books. And it's really nice. It feels liberating to read that way too, in a kind of unique way.
Speaker 2: I love that as someone who kind of like my first reaction is wow, that sounds like, oh, that sounds so indulgent, But it's not, like, what a brilliant way to experiment with starting your day. I am going to give that a shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say it was indulgent if it wasn't at four fifteen in the morning, you know, so like it's hard to say anything is that indulgent At four fifteen in the morning. It feels luxurious, Like having my cold brew coffee and sitting and reading. I'm like, oh, this is really nice. Like sometimes I'm going to bed, I feel more excited to wake up at four knowing that I'm going to get to read something neat and just kind of like start my day that way.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Oh, Sachel, I've so enjoyed this chat, and I so love everything you put out into the world world. So thank you for choosing to spend some of your time wealth with me.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you so much for having me. It was a real thrill. I hope you have a great day.
Speaker 2: I hope you enjoyed my chat with Sacquel. I know that I am definitely going to be trying out that morning reading strategy to see what results it might give me. Now, if you want to learn more about Saquil, there are links to his socials and website in the show notes, and I highly recommend grabbing a copy of The Five Types of Wealth. If you like today's show, make sure you get follow on your podcast app to be alerted when new episodes drop. How I Work was recorded on the traditional land of the Warrangery People, part of the Cooler Nation.