Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the sit Down. I'm Matrolope, a writer for oz open dot com and.
Speaker 2: I embraced you from the AO Show and brit.
Speaker 1: Why are we sitting down with Barbora Kritiko for this week?
Speaker 2: So Viv is still in Wimbledon, the lucky duck and she managed to sit down with her a couple of weeks ago before we even knew she would win the tournament. So you know what, I'm going to hand it over to Viv and let's hear what they talked about.
Speaker 3: Babora, thank you for joining us today on the sit Down. You're joining us from Wimbledon, where, of course there's a great history of Czech champions.
Speaker 4: How does it feel to return to this venue?
Speaker 5: Well, first off all, I really want to thank you for having me. It's very nice to be bard of bard of this, and I mean being back here in the in a banbladd on we have where we have a really huge histudy of another czechdennis players winning or editching a very very far I mean, it's it's great. It's always nice to be here because this tournament is very very traditional and.
Speaker 4: I like this.
Speaker 5: I like the history of the tournament, so I'm I'm super excited to be here and and started tournament very soon.
Speaker 3: What memories do you have of Wimburen from when you were growing up.
Speaker 5: That's an interesting question because when I was growing up, it was it wasn't really that much about wim blood On for me, as I mean, I'm not coming really from the family that is like a sports family, so it wasn't really that much about the tennis. It was more about the education in our house. So I guess it was a little bit a little bit later. And I mean the memory that I remember from Wimbladen is more when I was like sixteen seventeen and actually trying to play the juniors the juniors champion and playing year on court nineteen that is not here anymore, and playing my first round, losing the first round, and playing very late in the evening and it was already slippery, and I remember I was like running to the net and I kind of hit the ball, but I fell and I fell on my butt, and I was very so the next day.
Speaker 4: So these are the I mean, these are.
Speaker 5: That this is the very first memory that you know that I can remember of right now that's connected to connected to m blad on for me.
Speaker 4: Had you played much cross court tennis before that?
Speaker 5: No, it was actually actually first time here at the VIM button, but the only tournament I played before there was a rehabiton. And also I think I played there my first match and this was my maybe second.
Speaker 4: Can you check our listeners.
Speaker 3: Back to your start in tennis, you said you went from a very sporting family. How did you get started in tennis?
Speaker 5: Well, I started, well, I started. I started because I have two older brothers, and one of them went to play tennis. He went with his like schoolmates and and friends. And and I was little, I was like maybe three or four years old, and and me and my mom we went with him so my mom could look after him.
Speaker 4: And because I was this small, I went.
Speaker 5: I went with my mom and and I got like a like a little board okay, And I was like trying to hit the ball with the board like against the wall. So this is I think, I mean, this is this is how I studied. But to be honest, I don't remember that that's how I only I only have this, uh this from my my my family telling me.
Speaker 3: And who would you say has been the biggest influence in your career.
Speaker 5: Wow, so many people definitely not just one. I mean starting with my family, with my parents, with my brothers, going through my first tennis coach, uh, then practicing more in in Borno in a city that is like thirty minutes from the place where my parents live, and then moving to the National that is center later on. Then having a Jana Novotnas my tennis coach when I finished juniors, and then having other other coaches, so so many, so many people have been a big, big influence in my in my tennis career.
Speaker 3: And in your career You've had quite an unusual path in that you thrived first in doubles, then you had your singles breakthrough at Roland Garrals. How did doubles provide the foundation for that success?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Well, the doubles definitely helped. It definitely put me on the big big stages before like with somebody, like with my partner.
Speaker 4: So it was a little bit like.
Speaker 5: Better to to manage to handle and it I think it gave me a lot of.
Speaker 4: A lot of.
Speaker 5: Like just like mental mental help or mental support too to be to be able to uh, I mean put it into into the singles and to feel good when I was playing on a bigger stages, but I was there alone.
Speaker 4: When you want roll and garls.
Speaker 3: It was only your fifth grandsaon Mandrel. Did you surprise yourself at that point?
Speaker 5: Definitely, yes, definitely, definitely yes, because in I mean in check, I mean I've in Czech Republic. I never I never really felt like the the the player that's gonna that that it's that talented and that good to to you know, to make it and to win, to win a slam. So it was it was a big surprise. But also on the other hand, I was really really working hard during the during twenty twenty, during the COVID and really tried to improve and and finally get to the top one hundred and and then in twenty twenty one, everything everything clicked and so far this was this was I think my my my best best year.
Speaker 4: It was the best year of my career.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it absolutely was your best year of your career. Because you also won a gold medal that year, that must have been very special as well.
Speaker 5: Definitely, definitely that year was was amazing with all the results that I was able to achieve a loan, but also I was able to achieve with my with my with my doubles partner. So I mean, winning the winning the Olympic gold metaphor for Czech Republic was was was a huge thing, and it was very nice because we could really, I mean, we could celebrate it in the in the Czech house in in in Tokyo, and and it was just a different, different feeling and different, uh experience, to to share this with different athleasts from from different sports.
Speaker 3: What does that mean to represent your nation at the Olympics.
Speaker 4: Uh, any?
Speaker 5: I mean, for me, any representation of my country, if it's during the Olympics but also during the team competition is a huge honor. It's a it's a very it's a very big deal. I want to do well when I'm playing for my country. And and I mean, I'm I'm really I'm really enjoying that because when I mean, when I was growing up, I was watching Olympics, I was also watching the tennis team competition and be very really really successful. So I was hoping that one day I can maybe get that far and be part of the team. And and I mean, I'm really happy that I am and that also that I can represent during during the Olympics.
Speaker 3: There are currently eight check women inside the top one hundred in both singles and in doubles. Do you feel like a role model to some of the other check players.
Speaker 4: If I feel like that.
Speaker 5: No, But I think it's maybe the question on on the on the different different players and maybe more of the upcoming generation that are like right now playing playing junior.
Speaker 4: Are you close as a group on tour?
Speaker 5: No, not only no, I think it's I think tennis is very very individual, and I don't or me personally. I mean I was quite close with my doubles partner, I think, but I mean the rest of the rest of the players, I'm not really. I'm not really that that.
Speaker 4: That close, that close with them.
Speaker 3: Is it hard to have close friendships in a sport like tennis?
Speaker 5: I think it's just very individual. I think everybody is different, and I mean if somebody likes to have a person here that is the best friend, it's fine. If somebody doesn't, I think it's fine as well. I mean, it can get complicated, but somebody can handle that better somebody somebody not so very I think, very very individual.
Speaker 3: Wimburon last year, you came in, you'd reached a final long Grass and then you had to retire here in the second round. Does I give you added motivation for this year? Oh?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean the motivation here is obviously every single year, very very high. And I really want to do do well during the during this sert event, and I mean also any other tournament.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And I mean, but I'm not really.
Speaker 5: Like setting like really like high high goals because also this year I was quite quite injured and ale and it wasn't so far besides the Austrian Open a good season.
Speaker 4: So I just want to.
Speaker 5: Get the first win and and I'm gonna go from there and and see how far I can I can go.
Speaker 3: And you did start your year by reaching the quarter finals at the Australian Open. What does that tournament mean for you?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean for me, Australia is very special. I mean since the junior I it was you know, this is the country that is the that is the most far from from us from in Europe, and I always wanted to visit and I was always hoping that I can get there, and then doing Juniors, I was able to fly there. I mean the flight is not very nice, but I mean the country is amazing. I really liked Melbourne as a junior and I was hoping that one day in a pro I'll be able to come back. And I mean, it's great that I'm coming back. It's great that I was able to reach the quarters in singles this year. So far, I think it's the I think it's the best best result and I'm really proud about this result. And also I I with Katkabi won the doubles there twice in a row, and and also with uh some other like mixed doubles player or with the men's players, I want three times in a row mixed doubles. So for me to be honest, I have the most trophies from Australia. So it's it's it's it's a very very special place for me.
Speaker 4: Whe Rather it's trophies. Where do you keep them?
Speaker 5: Well, I have them so far right now, I have them in my in my parents' house. Ye, But when I'm going to get to the point when I get my own house, They're going to be in my own house.
Speaker 3: And just to finish up, when you look back at your starting tennis, what advice would you give to your younger self?
Speaker 5: What I would say, I think I mean for me like when I was growing up, I think I had everything that I needed. Like back then, I wouldn't change your thing. And for me, the most important thing was to enjoy and not to be really like pushed, to have the freedom to decide what I want to do and what I don't want to do. And I think I was able. I got that I was able to do that. So for me, I think this is the this is the most important. But it's individually for me. I think for a group of upcoming players, I think it's important to have fun, to enjoy the tennis, to be happy to go for the practices, to be happy to spend the time around the court. And I think to be dedicated to work hard and to I mean dream big and go for it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So obviously we've proved a good luck charm for critique of it, because you know, two weeks after they sat down and had that interview, she ended up winning the entire tournament, which was so incredible to me to listen to that interview back and hearing that her expectations were quite low about the tournament. She'd had illness and injury struggles earlier this year, and she'd said that all she was really hoping to do was with around and then see how she goes from there and hopefully it goes well. She goes on the wins, you know, her second grandson title, and it was just an incredible achievement. Incredible and I think there's a lot about her that I learned in listening to that interview that Viv managed to get is she seems to be someone who has been blessed with a very happy outlook and really positive outlook, you know, talking about her biggest influences, her family and brothers. And my favorite question for me was when Viv asked her, is there anything you would change or go back and tell your younger self, And she said she said she had everything she needed. She was really happy back then, so she wouldn't change a thing. She always had the joy and it's always about maintaining that joy and being happy and dream big and go for it. And I just think, you know, there's something in just being light and enjoying the present.
Speaker 4: And I just thought it was a fantastic interview.
Speaker 1: And she just seems so well adjusted and so down to earth. Was really it was really great to hear from her. And next Monday, Vive and I will be back again with another episode of The Sea Down, but in the meantime you could listen to bree J and the rest of the team this Thursday on the aoshow Weekly. Details for how to contact us are in the show notes, and please subscribe, rate and review. Thanks so much, Matt Sea, brie Bye,