Speaker 1: Good a. Peter Helly here, welcome to you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet the movie podcast, where I chat to a guest about a classic movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guest comedian actor podcaster Cameron James.
Speaker 2: The first rule of Flake Club is you do not talk about fake club.
Speaker 3: No, it was you afraid of You broke my heart.
Speaker 4: I admire your luck, mister Bond.
Speaker 1: James Bond, what happening right now?
Speaker 2: Don't see nothing here?
Speaker 1: Tom called today's guest the obvious next big Thing, and Cameron James is certainly living up to his end of the bargain. Known for his many collaborations with his great mate, the very funny Becky Lucas cam has been making big waves in the podcast world too with recent Yasny guests Alexi Teleopolis with their Finding Drago and Finding Desperado series, and some exciting news as the Boys have just received development funds for a new web doco series, Finding Yeasas. Camra is currently touring the country with his fantastic, brilliantly funny show Electric Dreams about his early adulthood dream of becoming a rock star. Check it out where and when, you can. Cam is obviously inventive, funny, can actually play guitar and hold a bloody tune. And I'm bloody stokes to be hanging with him today.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm Cameron James. And three favorite films are this is spinal tap, most go up to ten?
Speaker 3: Exactly? Does that mean it's louder?
Speaker 5: Is it any louder?
Speaker 2: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? The wedding singer?
Speaker 4: Get out of my van ale and T shirt before you changse the band and they break up?
Speaker 2: And no Country for old men?
Speaker 3: What's the most you ever lost?
Speaker 2: Go on Tosh. But up until this week, I had never seen parenthood.
Speaker 6: When you're slamming in the first and you're feeling something versus diarrhea diarrhea when you heard and when you're using the herd diarrhea, diarrhea, When you're slimming in the hole and you're truckle full of pham, diarrhea, diarrhea. When you're sitting in your chevy and you're sho feeling heavy diarrhea diarrhea.
Speaker 2: Kevin, Honey, where'd you learn that song?
Speaker 7: Last summer at camper Ah?
Speaker 3: That was money well spent.
Speaker 1: Yes, nine's Ron Howard directed parenthoods see's Steve Martin at the peak of his powers in his first film as a dad. Yes, before he was the father of the bride, before he was the patriarch and cheaper by the dozen, he was Gil Buckman, a Midwestern working father married to Karen Mary Steenbergen, reminding us that not all Karens are in fact Karen's. Gil and Karen are trying to navigate life with three kids, the emotional Kevin, the projectile vomiting Taylor, and the head butter of walls Justin. But it's not just about Gil and Karen's family, and it's what makes Parenthood quite remarkable. The ensemble spreads four generations of Buckman's, from grandmother Buckman down to newborns, from teenagers discovering themselves to toddlers solving intricate mathematical equations. Performances are uniformly brilliant across the board. Joan Wish wins the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress as Helen, the single mum desperately trying to hang on to her daughter Martha Plimpton before she runs off with that Todd Keanu Reeves, whilst also attempting to connect with their looft teenage son Gary, played by a young Waquin Phoenix aka Leaf. Written by lal Gans and Babelou Mandel, Paranod strikes an interesting tone, finding moments of melancholy around moments of joy. The worry of being a parent is always front of mine, from perfecting a kid's birthday party to the pressures of kids sports. There are threats of divorce, a discussion about abortion, black sheep lives in danger, sex, sex toys, pornography, unexpected pregnancies, and of course cowboy Gil Cameron James. Have you ever driven home with your pants full of foam?
Speaker 2: Well, look, I famously have ibs, so yes, I have.
Speaker 1: What is a different podcast? I wasn't expected to take a turn so quickly. I mean, some people might have said I didn't need to play the whole diarrhea song, but I think they're getting the full context.
Speaker 2: I did, you absolutely did. I also forgot. I've watched it twice in the the last week, this movie, and I forgot just then that they do the whole song so long.
Speaker 1: It is so long, and it is I don't know. I obviously I saw this when it came out, when I was fourteen years old. I saw it in the cinema and that was one of the big takeouts for us, and then more so when it got released on VHS, so we had access to really hone in on the lyrics and to find the layers in Kevin's diarrhea song.
Speaker 2: It's a great song.
Speaker 1: It's a great song. It's your amuso, yourself. You know, you recognize it the June. You must have thought pretty early on I'm in good hands here.
Speaker 2: I did. I mean, that's kind of at the beginning of the movie, isn't it. And yeah, it really does set the tone, you know, I'm like, I mean quite genuine. Now, it does set the tone for what this movie is, which is that it's kind of a bit shaggy, and it's a bit it's a bit messy, and it's about it's about the mess It's about the phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is about the foam and we've all had phone in that pants and it's about how we deal with the foam in our pants. Now, why had you had this been a movie that had like lingered over you, had you considered seeing it? Had you you know, most comedians of Steve Martin fans it was just one where you thought, jeez, I haven't seen Parenthood yet, why did you choose.
Speaker 2: Parentlem Oh, well, that was the thing that got me over the line with picking it for this podcast. I've always been a Steve Martin fan, and I think I've always prioritized silly Steve Martin over more dramatic Steve Martin. And you know, for example, Three Migos is like a go to movie for me. If I ever need to just relax, I'll put on that. I've seen it a million times. I love the jerky But there was something about trying to think about what it was that has kept me away from this movie. And I think it is the fact that it seemed like a drama. It seemed like more of a straight drama with you know, like you mentioned four generations of people going through their own trauma's intentions, and maybe I just didn't want to see Steve Martin do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, well, I think it's very it's a fascinating tone. And we'll get to this because I want to go through your your three favorite films. It's a very fascinating tone. I think it's a fascinating performance by Steve Martin In a movie that has I think, just fascinating performances all the way through it. But let's come back to that. Because you have nominated three fantastic films, you'll be not surprised to know that this is spinal tap has come up a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Of course, Yeah, it's to go to, especially for comedy people. I I said to you before we started recording this, I found this incredibly daunting to try and narrow down a top three.
Speaker 1: I had no idea of the horror I was unleashing. I just how do I start a podcast. Well, let's get provide some context of the kind of movies they like. Let's name it three favorite. Is that difficult? It turns out of this.
Speaker 2: It's so difficult because I think you you instinctively want to pick the most important movies, all the most serious movies. So when I first got this, you know you need three questions, three faves. I started going to the heaviest movies that I've ever seen. Okay, so I guess I'm gonna have to say The Master and I'll probably have to say Godfather Part two. And then I kind of went, no, you know what, you have to really think about what are the movies you would love to rewatch.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: That's how I'm defining it. And I decided to prioritize comedies this time around.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: So and also for the record, I want your listeners to know I nearly picked three different Adam Sandler movies. I nearly picked Okay, the Wedding Singer, Punch, Drunk Love, and Uncut Gems.
Speaker 1: Wow, and they're three or two of them are very much dramatic sam and puns. Strong Love is one of my absolute favorite films, and Cut Gems is just fuck. That's a tense film.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: I don't think I felt that kind of tension in the film that I was not expecting to feel that kind of like besides an amazing performance by Boston's own Kevin Garnett, KG is legitimately very good in that movie. But yeah, I wasn't expecting, you know, I didn't really know. I deliberately kept away from where it went and what it was, but that was genuinely the feeling I had was visceral.
Speaker 2: Oh he was, Yeah, I know. I watched it. I watched it so much in that first week that it came out because I was I just loved it. I got sucked into the world of it. I really lived in it. But anyway, I didn't end up picking it, so we can't talk about it.
Speaker 1: We can't fALS Yeah, I love is also amazing. So why did Wedding Singer?
Speaker 2: The Wedding Singer became my Sandler pick for this because I much like Three Amigos. I'll often put it on if I just need something comfort, watching something on in the background, if I'm doing work or doing washing up or cooking or whatever. I love it. I think it is so sweet, it's so beautiful, it's so funny. I love seeing Adam Sandlers sing it kind of honestly, when I watched that movie, It's the dream project that I would make if I was a famous actor. You know, where you get to be the funny guy, but you also get to sing and play guitar in a band, and then you also get to do the sweet stuff and get the girl at the end of the day, you.
Speaker 1: Get a history. Barry mud Yes, I mean because you I mentioned it in the intro. But you are currently touring Electric Dreams, which is about you're you know, you wanted to be, you know, a rock star. Rockstar. So I can see how this related to absolutely.
Speaker 2: I mean he gets to sing classic eighties tracks in that movie and then some original comedy songs as well. Truly, it's like the Dream Project.
Speaker 1: Did you see his down out specially imagine if you, oh, yeah, how good? I think either directed or just Paul Thomas Anderson had eyes on it.
Speaker 2: And I think he filmed some of it, Yeah, and then maybe helped with the edit or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you haven't seen, or if you if you're somebody who has maybe given up on Adam Sandler for whatever reason.
Speaker 2: That most of you probably you know it goes by the day.
Speaker 1: I urge you not to give up on Adam Sandler. But I but that special is one of the best put together specially and one of the funniest, with a sweet little kicker at the end. Yeah. So he basically performs It's It's taken from lots of different performances, from club gigs to arenas. But the editing is like you're not missing a beat, Like it's not jarring at all.
Speaker 2: It's so sharp. Sometimes it even cuts in the middle of a song or a bit. You know, it'll cut between the Carolines, comedy club in New York to an arena in.
Speaker 1: You know, Madison Square, Madison.
Speaker 2: Square Garden, and it's amazing, it's so funny. Again, I've watched that a lot as well, and that's and maybe we're kind of tapping into something a little bit here, because I think the older I get, the more my comedy taste moves away from cynicism and moves towards sweetness. And Sandler is the embodiment of that. His early comedy is so snarky and annoying, and it's just about how much he hates adults, you know, authority figures. And then now I'm watching Adam Sandler become a guy who's happy to sing a song about how much he loves Chris Farley or you know, he's making films about families and his family and his kids. And so I think, yeah, maybe the Sandler pick and this movie that we're talking about today is a bit of an embodiment of me getting older and just enjoying sweetness and niceness a little bit more than I used to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's I agree. I mean I've always leant towards things that aren't particularly you know, even in my own personal life I'm not a confrontational person, you know, and I would rather watch something that makes me happy. Although were that said, I mean, yeah, actually, with that said, there's no dictast of cinema like Underground is a movie. There's like a Serbian movie called Underground, which is very close to being in my top four, and there's nothing particularly cheery about that. I love the Coen Brothers and we got No Country in a second. But yeah, but I do that those comfort movies for me, like planes, trains and automobiles for me, Oh yeah, is just one of the all time great joys, like listening to you what the wedding singer gives you, Planes trains gives them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's a great tone too. I think that's something. I love that movie, and you're right, it's the It has that mix of hard laughs, big jokes, big comedy moments, but then it's all capped off with sweetness at the end, and you leave feeling good.
Speaker 1: You leave feeling good. I'm not sure how you left the cinema when you saw No Country for Old Man. Hopefully, hopefully game you didn't leave feeling good. Hopefully you didn't have a swagger a springing your step No what are the amazing.
Speaker 2: No Country is? You know, this is a really hard one to pick because I wanted the Collens on my list, and they have every movie there is a different type of movie, you know, and I love them all, and I can never quite pick which one's my favorite. Some weeks it's Lebowski, some weeks it's Fargo. It was Barton Fink for.
Speaker 1: A long time, but never Lady Kills.
Speaker 3: It's never.
Speaker 2: Never been Lady Killers. Unfortunately, that's weirdly, that's the one I haven't rewatched much.
Speaker 1: Comen Brothers and Tom Hanks. How could they fuck this up?
Speaker 2: I know? But No Country, I think it's I love it because I love the West. I'm a sucker for a Western. I'm a sucker for that whole esthetic too, you know, like I could, I could watch any movie that's shot in Texas. I for some reason, I'm just I can't take my eyes off the screen.
Speaker 1: I agree. I mean, used to be old Hollywood, used to make the big westerns, you know, said John Wayne out in the West. But I love what they've done more recent where there's been modern stories told. Because the landscape is basically the same and you have the cowboys living there still. I mean, you know, they popular of Yellowstone.
Speaker 2: You know I love Yellowstone. I'm watching Yellowstone at the moment. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: I got so many people in the Yellowstone. But I stopped the episode eight and people are coming up to me going, thanks for getting into the yellow if you finished series four, and no, I'm still in the eight episode eight. So but another good one recently in a few years ago was Helen high Water.
Speaker 2: I nearly picked that.
Speaker 1: That is such a good film.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it. That's a that's a go. That's I've watched that a lot too, because.
Speaker 1: And that's a Yellowstone connection, isn't it. I think, same guy Sheridan.
Speaker 2: But I love that movie, you know, because they make the banks the bad guys. That's the thing about these new modern westerns is there's a great commentary about the government or the bank system more and it's all you know, it makes you feel smart. When you watch it, you kind of go, yeah, yeah, America is crazy.
Speaker 1: Thank god we don't live there.
Speaker 2: Ah yeah, but no. Country is just full of amazing performances and offbeat performances. It's funny in its own way, even though it's not laugh out loud, funny. You know, Javier by DEM's hair is funny. Woody Harrelson gets some great moments in there. I think, does Stephen Root pop up in that? I think Stephen he does.
Speaker 1: He pops up in every film, but he's the best best actor. I think he's one of those. I think there's a podcast. I haven't actually listened to it, but there's a podcast about the actors who you kind of like you kind of know their name, if you, if you, if you, you know, like I I would have to remember this, it's Stephen Stephen Rut And there's a like he'd be right up there with actors who his name might be on the tip of your tongue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, his name is always on the tip of my tongue. I love Stephen Ruth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 2: It's full of these weird, little offbeat character choices, but it's all anchored in reality. I think it's a really it's like a very special film. No Country for All Men.
Speaker 1: And the tension you feel, like when he goes into the general story at the start and the old man he's flipping the coin. Yes, you know it's not going to be good.
Speaker 2: I also think that Cohen's do such a good job with making a fictional story feel real by having coincidences happen and the fact that the main action, you know, like you know, the main guy dies, we don't even see it. It happens off screen, and then someone discovers his body later. And they do similar things in Fargo where it's sort of it makes it feel like a true story that's been eted for the screen.
Speaker 1: The first screen titler is based on the true story. I mean, that's one way of doing it.
Speaker 2: I think it's the best choice they ever made.
Speaker 1: It is so incredible because, like, yeah, why doesn't need to be It's part of the movie. You're watching a movie. They can do whatever they like.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: Let's get onto it now. The movie you are here to talk about nine to eighty nine's Parenthood, starring I've Got Steve Martin, Diane Wheez, County Reeves, Young Mac and Phoenix direct Ron Howard.
Speaker 2: Did you like it, Pete? I loved this movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm really I'm always up for people not liking it. Sometimes I'm more invested in others. But I am so glad you love this film.
Speaker 2: I loved this movie as I said, I watch it twice this week, once for this and once for fun.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, And I watched it twice as well, and I kind of almost a little bit the same, just going wow, this is like I hadn't seen it for a while. Yeah, So tell me when you saw it when you were fourteen at the cinema and did you.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not really aimed at teenage boys.
Speaker 1: There are so many quotable things in this movie, like the diarrhea song. Obviously. Yeah, I remember saying, you know, quoting Cowboy Dan is coming, Cowboy Dan is coming with my mates. And there are so many things. Every scene has a gag at the end of it, you know, like this, you know your grandmother's a Jeanieus. Why is she sitting in the neighbors car? Like this. There's so many good things and we'll kind of go through it. We'll play some scenes that talk about but like there's a start at the start like that. It's just a very interesting way to start a movie with the flash I mean, movies, you know, quite often start with a flashback. But I thought this was in nine to eighty nine, quite an interesting movie. You're at the baseball park with the young guy. You're trying to work out already, because you know Steve Martin's in it. You're trying to work out is this a flashback? Oh this is maybe it's Steve Martin. Yeah, but that works really well.
Speaker 2: Well that that's what got me hooked in, you know, because I thought it was going to be quite saccering a little, you know, I mean, okay, the two riders of this lowel Gans and Bubbaloo Mandel, who I'm a bit obsessed with both of their names.
Speaker 1: You might be obsessed with Bubbaloo Bubbaaloo, but they're great writers.
Speaker 2: And they wrote City Slickers as well, which is another great comedy, and it's very in their tone. This kind of opening where it's it's sort of teeters on being very saccaring and possibly too too sappy, but then it's immediately undercut by a very clever meta joke, you know, where the little kid sort of says to the usher, this is He basically says, yeah, we're I'm this is a flashback. This is a memory. You're an amalgam mover many different ushers that had to sit with me. I mean, that's that's when I got hooked in, just that moment of undercutting it all and having having the usher go yeah, agreat, you're having an existential crisis. I'm a freaking amalgam here.
Speaker 1: It's so great. And the apparently if you watch a baseball game, there's a guy who's like limping around and they shot they shot so many takes. I think they shot twelve takes that he actually did his hamstring. So when you watch it next time, you'll see a guy not actually sprinting the first base. It's so and then we get the diarrhea scene and we're off. But what, like you would know the amount of movies you watch and what you create, like dealing with this many characters. Oh my god, is in four generations. So you got the kids, you know, the adults, the parents, and the grand the grandmother. They do it so there's not one character who you feel like you don't know and you can't relate to on some level.
Speaker 2: That's so true watching it, I kept thinking with this film, it seems like it's the blueprint for all the sitcoms that came after it. And I know that it became a TV shows it adapted into it. I think twice yea they did.
Speaker 1: I think they had a shot pretty quickly after and it didn't work. And then more I guess more recently, maybe ten years ago, so they had a crack. I think it ran for about five.
Speaker 2: It did pretty well, and obviously Modern Family I don't think the TV show Modern Family would exist without this movie.
Speaker 1: Well this happens because I think Brian Grazer and Lol Ann's and Badlue Mandel and Ron Howard come to get together and say, I think there's a story in the things that we kind of deal with. And it's amazing to think now that was once a thought like this is this area hasn't really been covered like it's incredible because you Bodern family and house they married, you know, amazing succumbs over the years, but you like it just seems like such fertile area and now well drilled area areas. But this was like it felt it felt actually pretty fresh when it happened.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, I was trying to put it in context. Was there no were there movies like this that were just kind of not they're not there isn't really a story. It's just you're living in the lives of these people for a year. Maybe it feels like it's about a year in the life.
Speaker 1: Well, babies are born, so it's at least, you know, nine months, and then the lead up to that.
Speaker 2: So I'd say a year and maybe maybe there's something. There's some things that have been similar in tone, but this particular tome where it's it's not a hard comedy, it's not a hard drama. It's sort of that middle ground. I don't know if it did it exist.
Speaker 1: Comedy is leading into this felt like bigger, like bigger, more higher concept three precedes this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, you know that's so true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like bigger kind of create you know, Beverly Hills can't action adventure comedies are very big, great in the You're awesome, which you're awesome, But it's just kind of this kind of hybrid of a comedy, you know, almost maybe it's one of the early drama tis you know, That's.
Speaker 2: What I'm thinking. I think this might be, yeah, like the blueprint for the drama dye. And as I was watching it, I kept thinking, I know, James L. Brooks is maybe around the same time, and he sort of he's in a similar ballpark, but Ron Howard, James L. Brooks without these guys, maybe there's no Judd Apatow today. Maybe there's no you know those sorts of Seth Rogany movies that are just you know, slice of life watching a family hang out. Yeah, and you know, thank god because they're great. It's a really nice type of movie.
Speaker 1: Because dramai means a comedy that doesn't isn't as funny as it should be. Yeah, but this is like the comedy is really funny, really good, and the drama is really good. Like there's so much in this and it kind of gets a bit, you know, in a way, heavier as it goes on. So we're going to get to some of the heavier scenes soon. But I think Ron Howard's ability and the writer's ability and the actors ability to perform these and not like they have flashbacks, you know, feel like you're in the same film, Like is I think really impressive.
Speaker 2: I'm so amazed at the ability of these guys, of this cast and of these creators to have moments that are you know, heavy discussions on abortion or divorce budding right up against incredibly cartoony moments where Steve Martin is you know, doing balloon animals or he's having a fantasy about his son being a school shooter and stuff like that. It's amazing that they all exist within the one.
Speaker 1: Move absolutely, and I think they did. It's really clever how they've gone gone, Okay, we've got Steve Martin, how do we use Steve Martin? And I'm not sure if these if because I know Steve Martin, you know, spoke to Ron Howard and you know, like most actors, you know, do you know, leading men and women, they'll have conversations about tone and all that. But I think they found it really clever ways because this is like a dial down Steve Martin for a lot of this like this is not the Three Amigos Steve Martin or the jerk Steve Martin. This is a more dial down. But they have moments where he's let off the leash and it's it's at the party playing cowboy Gill. In fact, let's have a listen to maybe him as a as cowboy Gill party.
Speaker 6: Pardner, you're Kevin's father, You're not cowboy Dan.
Speaker 1: Right, they call me cowboy Gil as in Gil t.
Speaker 3: I saw cowboy Dawn.
Speaker 1: I didn't like to look on his face.
Speaker 3: It was like this, so I killed him.
Speaker 1: I blew a hole in them. This bit I was about this big you know what I think about it.
Speaker 2: That hole was about this bed.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 3: His guts were stilled out.
Speaker 2: All over the floor. As I was walking away, I slip around on his gut.
Speaker 9: A couple other people came by and they started slipping on his guts too.
Speaker 1: After I blow a hole in.
Speaker 5: Somebody and slip around on their guts afterwards.
Speaker 2: I always like to make balloon animals.
Speaker 1: See mind giving upstown on Calming. So it was actually always like watching totally a stand up gig there.
Speaker 2: I was texting my wife while I was watching this, and I was saying, you should watch you know, Parenthood. I think you really like it, if only for the because she loves Steve Martin. I think my wife would cheat on me with Steve Martin has a huge crush on And I was like, yeah, one of a very special moment is he literally does his stand up act. He does the balloon animals from his stand up act.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So they find that he's even like when he with the baseball that he does that kind of you know, the crazy kind of funny walk that he know he doesn't and they just found really fun moments for Steve Martin to be Steve Martin, but it doesn't jar when he goes back to being being guilt.
Speaker 2: Isn't that such a That's a huge testament to him as an actor, and it's something that maybe I'd never even thought about him before, which is that he is able to be a real human being, you know, because we're so used to seeing him be you know, this crazy, the wild and crazy guy, you know, but now he's like in this movie, he really taps into being a believable as a husband, believable as a dad, believable as a guy who's struggling with his relationship with his father and his own children. And then yet I also believe him as probably the funniest guy in the neighborhood as well. Yeah, yeah, it doesn't feel crazy to me that he would also put on a cowboy suit and entertain all the kids in the neighborhood.
Speaker 1: It's and what I like also his relationship with Kevin. You see so often in cinema the kids that are the trouble kids, you know, and they've all the kids have got their own kind of things going on, as kids do. And obviously Diane Weese's character. Helen has some stuff going on with her too, which you know, they kind of behind their backs talk about how at least that kids aren't as bad as Gary. Yeah. Yeah, but I really like that. You know that Kevin loves his dad and because there are kids, believe it, I'm not like that. Who actually, you know, I just like their dads and sometimes you don't see that. And I like that. You got Kevin, who's a kid somewhere on the spectrum we imagine, but he's but we see him. He's not just a kid on the spectrum. We've see him be funny. Yeah, the diary, he's caring. You know, he cracks up. His sister's being a funny kid. You know, he's been the funny brother.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. It's really it's a really nice, nuanced performance.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not sure you should have been expelled from the school. I think that would be probably handled it, possibly in a different way, hopefully in twenty two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, some things have changed.
Speaker 1: The kid makes a face. We can't have that in this school, but it is.
Speaker 2: I think it's pretty believable that the parents would be having that conversation with their principal where they don't want to take him out of that school. You know, they want they want to They think they can solve the problem themselves.
Speaker 1: And I love that, he says. Steve Martin says, we know there's a problem, we're aware of it, that we're going to deal with it in our way.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like their journey with their son is like accepting that there's some things that they can't do, you know, that they need to get help. Yeah, it's kind of like in a way, because I was trying to figure out what the message of the movie is, and I guess it's like about accepting help really and like reaching out to the people around you and letting them in and letting them guide you in some way. Like they all get a version of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think what really makes it work and what makes it feel honest is the idea that once you're a parent, you are always going to worry about your kids. And there's a scene it happens later in the you know, but we might as well play it now, And it's always been one of my absolute favorite moments in this film. In fact, it's a favorite moment of mine in cinema. It's the conversation between Frank and Gil. So Frank the patriarch of the family. He's basically just realize that he's the black sheep of the family. Larry has Is is a loser and he's in the scene when he realizes this. He realizes that he's back the wrong horse, you know, because he says, I'm not Gil and there's a look where was like, yeah, yeah, you're not Gil. So he goes to Gil and us for advice. This is Steve Martin and Jason Robarts.
Speaker 8: I never should have had four. You know, when you were two years old, we thought you had polio.
Speaker 1: You know about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mum once said something, yeah wow for.
Speaker 1: A week we didn't know. I hated you for that.
Speaker 8: What I did, I did I hate I hated having to go through that caring worry.
Speaker 1: Dang, it's not for me.
Speaker 8: And you know, it's not like that all ends when you're eighteen or twenty one or forty one or sixty one.
Speaker 1: It never never ends.
Speaker 8: It's like your aunt Edna's ascid goes on forever, and it's just as frightening. It's true, there is no end zone. You never cross the gold Lin spike the ball and do your touchdown there never I'm sixty four, Larry twenty seven, and he's still my son, like Kevin and your son the one and we get hurt, he's my son.
Speaker 1: It's is a great gag in there. Yeah, but it is like so honest. I mean, the idea of like basically, there was a point in time where I wish I didn't have you, you know, and this like this idea because Gil knows he's not the favorite, and there's a there's a weird relationship with his dad, and he's basically just letting him know why the genesis, the origin story of their relationship.
Speaker 2: I was surprised by. I mean, first of all, I didn't know Jason Robards was going to be in this movie. I love Jason Robarts. I nearly picked Magnolia.
Speaker 1: We haven't covered that. It's been mentioned, and I'm if Warhurst mentioned it's one of her favorite films, as you mentioned that, and and we haven't done Magnolia as a as the whole movie, but I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: You might need to do it over two episodes, it's too long. But but yeah, he's incredible and I think, I mean, I just love him. I think he taps into this emotional male thing which you don't see very often, where it's he comes close to saying something really sweet and really nice to his son, he never quite says it. He never sits, He never says like I love you, Gil, or you know you're You're the son I should have been focusing on. He comes close, but he doesn't, and it's the fact that he pulls back that makes my I nearly burst into tears. You know, there's a moment that comes after this where he realizes that his youngest son, Larry, is going to leave and go do another scam and he's going to leave his son Cool with them, which is already great. We will discuss Cool very soon yet, and you know, Cool says, is his dad coming back? And robuts just says, nope, you want to stay here with me? And he's like, yeah, I again, my heart broke, doesn't He's not being overly warm, but the warmth is there, it's behind, it's behind this male masculine thing. Yeah. It does it for me, dude, I love it.
Speaker 1: And for you to be feeling that when there's you know, nearly twenty characters that Ron Howard is dealing with it is. It really is quite incredible, and they do it with little moments like there's a bit where Gilly's being cowboy Gill and so everyone's enjoying it, and Jason Robards is looking over there and he's he's poor. His poor wife comes over it kind of like gives him a hag because she's enjoying it too, and he kind of just like looks at her and like, this is this is not funny, and it tells us one it gives us another glimpse, a reminder of the relationship between him and his wife, but also the relationship between him and gil Because if Larry was doing Cowboy Larry.
Speaker 2: Even know he'd love it, he would love it.
Speaker 1: And I think that let's actually play now the arrival of Larry where Larry rocks up. Frank is so excited and like this again, this has happening in reasonably early in the film, and it just is the what Larry says that each of his siblings is so is so perfect and informs us one who he is. But also this reminds us of maybe what they're going through as well.
Speaker 2: Gilbo Larry, how long has it been three years? About that stop wearing your turban. Yeah, my god, Susan, you look great.
Speaker 9: And you weren't my sister.
Speaker 10: Ellen.
Speaker 4: You were supposed to wait outside so I could introduce you.
Speaker 7: Well, why don't you do it?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 9: Everybody?
Speaker 3: This is my son Cool? Did he say cool?
Speaker 1: It is so good? And then you have the dinner the dinner scene or the lunch scene. Yeah, and he's explaining how, you know, Cool came into his life and he's had he had an affair and this woman came in and said, you take Cool. I just shot somebody and he says, you call that a parent.
Speaker 2: It's I was like, this is the role you'd want to play, right, I think it's so it's such a funny scene stealer.
Speaker 1: Of and it's Tom Holston did and played not long after, and he's so good in it. He makes every little bit of his scenes count.
Speaker 2: It's incredible. I mean, like, I mean, you're you're a writer, so you tell me, like, is it is it hard to balance all these types of characters. I don't know how. I don't know if I could wrap my head around it is. No.
Speaker 1: It's like I've written episodes where I know, you know, like for say, how to Stay Mary, where we know our family and we know how to deal with those characters. But there's been episodes where we would bring the parents in, you know, or have or have all the characters in a scene together. And there's a few people from the school who are going to be involved here, like we had a Trivia nine episode one and the like, and dealing and keeping an eye on all those characters over over twenty two minutes. It's tricky. Let alone, you know a feature film where you are trying to and I think they have absolutely executed it here. They're trying to give everybody an arc. Everyone has an arc.
Speaker 2: Everyone gets an arc. And it's also I mean, I don't know how you do it, but everyone gets to be funny in their own way as well. It's not like, oh, that's the serious character, that's the sad character. They all get. They're all funny in their own specific little ways to each other. They make each other laugh. They make us laugh. Some of them, like Steve Martin, he makes he makes us laugh because he's the voice of us who says little sarcastic asides. Diane Weese gets amazing jokes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in a role that you know is so dramatically paper, it's the sad one. Yeah, she's the sad character and she's still got gags in there, but also she makes she finds laughs. Yeah, you know in moments she truly elevates it.
Speaker 2: I'm such a big fan of hers. And the quote that I always pull up is Brad pitt quote about her. Have you ever heard that? Is around this time or maybe the early nineties, when Brad Pitt was in his like, you know, the hottest guy in the world must have been after God, I don't know, one of those movies that one of those movies that made him a hunk. Interview of the Vampire something, and someone said to him, who's the most beautiful woman in Hollywood? And he said Diane Wete. He was like, she is stunning and every she's so believable and I just every time I watch her, I can't take my eyes off of And that's how I feel when she is on screen. She is gorgeous, so gorgeous, but like so real. She feels so like, you know, authentic. I believe her as this woman.
Speaker 1: Well, this is where you know we've discussed before. It's came up. I'm trying to think of what roles but a Holy Hunter in broadcast news is a good example of someone who's who you feel an attraction to, and it comes from a place of intelligence as far as opposed to oh they're wearing a tank top, you know, and or that, yeah, there's there's flesh, or there's a blonde bombshell. It's not no, it's not that. There's something I'm feeling something yeah for this character, and it comes from a place of what they what they actually like as a character. Is like as a person, I kind.
Speaker 2: Of feel like that Holy Hunter lover and that, but also yeah, Diane and this, I'm like, oh God, I think I'm falling in love with her, Like I wish, I wish I could sweep in and marry her and raise Gary.
Speaker 1: Give me a crack of Gary.
Speaker 2: I could crack Gary.
Speaker 1: It's it's and the cool, go back the cool and we'll come back with to Helen and Julian Todden and and Gary. But that moment where you know he brings I mean, it's it's slightly weird, isn't it, Because I mean the one thing that I would say hasn't aged well in this and this is this is not a shot of parenthood because it's it's almost true of every movie that existed in you know, there's this, it's a very white cast. There's no like if you if you're making parentle now yeah, you know, you know one of the people who are probably married into the family is like totally yeah, it's it's more mixed racing.
Speaker 2: Well, even like the show Modern Family is an example, and that's still a very white show. Yeah, I've sort of diversified it up a bit.
Speaker 1: Yes, and this is very white and straight, like, there's not my diversity had all going on in this. But but cool is just I mean, just the fact they called him cool, Like just say this little every little moment has been thought about and considered by by the writers.
Speaker 2: I know, it's kind of the perfect comedy name. It's for the dipshit son to bring home, you know, like he's named his son cool. It's just a funny. It's funny, gay, it's so funny.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about it. Let's let's talk about Helen Julie. He's going out of Todd and Gary.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Again, I didn't know where Keing Phoenix was going to be in this. Yeah, that was a nice surprise.
Speaker 1: And oh my god, I mean there's just you know, so he's a bit lost. He's locking his door. You were locked bedroom door kind of guy. I didn't have a lock.
Speaker 2: I was always jealous of seeing that in movies and kids had a padlock on their door. Yeah, but I definitely would shut my door every time I went in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's he's walking around a brown tucker bag like paper bag. Yeah, with porn. We find out it's got porn in that. I'm not sure where he's going to watch these? Yeah, h video tapes by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah is he where's he getting them from? Why is he carrying them around town?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 1: It was like me, he got from the dodgy bloke in the milk bar under the counter. But for those who didn't quite spot at the three movies, I think he's apout the three movies that the cases are in.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't remember what was in the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, Dragnet and the Great Outdoors, Dragnet the film, the film, Yeah, and Tom Hanks and Tom Hanks.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never seen that, you know, so I've never seen.
Speaker 1: It's not one that I've revisited a lot, but I think it was pretty good.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it exists. It's a reboot of the series. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, comedy reboot of.
Speaker 1: The comedy reboot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bzar, I'd like to watch it, and I'd like to watch the porno that's in there.
Speaker 1: And Mildos or something, Yes, something like that. Let's have a listen to because this is truly a heartbreaking set. Again, this is talking about the comedy, which is always funny in this And then there's a moment where Gary asks his mum if he can call his dad, and and there's I could have played it. I could have played four minutes of this scene. It's better watching it because you you see Dian Weeze is not barely tries to talk him out of it, like has a little go because she knows the result is going to be inevitable and there's going to be heartbreak her watching Gary make this phone call. It's a one sided phone call, so you don't see Gary's father at the other end. The performance by young Joaquin Phoenix is incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he already had it, didn't He already have the ability to to be engaged emotionally in that way. It's pretty great when.
Speaker 1: You're watching it you're gonna go, oh, yes, yeah, by its river finished his brother, and then you watch it now and you're going to go, oh, we know everything else makes sense. Yeah, he was as good as he is. There's also another little little touch by Ron how when you watch it, when Dinies try, you know, Hallan tries to convince him not to you know that your dad's busy and you don't know him like I do, and he goes, no, I want her, and he asks for the number, and as he as she's giving him a number, he kind of walks towards the phone, which is further away, and the camera just pans back away from Diane Weese, almost from Gary's point of view, and then he ends up almost with shutterers between them, and it's just again, it's just a small touch. But I think you can underestimate and underrate a director who I think the tricks he's pulling off that's a really good or yeah, he's just like that. The emotional distance between gets further is in that moment, is getting further and further apart between mother and son until there's something in between them potentially physically, and that probably represents I think the father. Let's have listened to Gary on the phone to his father asking if he can come and stay for a while, which is normal.
Speaker 7: Well he'd be he'd be at work now.
Speaker 2: So that's.
Speaker 7: Two O sex five seven. No, no, yeah, yeah, Doctor.
Speaker 5: Lamkin there.
Speaker 7: His son. No, Dad, it's not Jewey, it's Gary.
Speaker 5: Your other son. Well, I need to ask you something. It'll just take a second. Oh, would it be okay if I stay with you.
Speaker 7: For a while a few months?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 1: Shit, humph.
Speaker 2: You didn't think it was just a good idea?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 7: I better go.
Speaker 1: We've spoken on this podcast about we did Love actually before Christmas, and we you know, Eddie Bannon tore it apart, and I can understand why he did that, and I agree with a lot that he had to say. But the one thing you can always said up for about Love actually is Emon Thompson's performance. And I think I think dying Weed's in this threat the whole film, but also in this moment, that that moment where in Love actually, where Emmon Thomas is living listening upstairs to Johonni Mitchell realizing that her husband might be having an affair like is like, I put that in the same category as this, like dionis not a lot of dialogue. But she's just listening and listening to your son call his dad, knowing he's going to be rejected and then for that to happen.
Speaker 2: And also she's listening to him call his dad because he doesn't want to live with her anymore. So there's so much going on, yep, inside her. She's been rejected by her son but also knowing that he's about to be rejected by his own father. Very complex, you know. I'm glad you. I'm glad you mentioned that that little Ron how a little you know, the pullback, because I think I don't think Ron Howard gets enough credit for being a good director.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think he kind of people think of him maybe as like a journeyman who does these big Hollywood things, you know, like he did Solo a couple of years ago, the Han Solo movie, and we.
Speaker 1: Came in to save that film. Yeah, yeah, which I will always stand up for. I think it's a very fun and I absolutely I would have it in my top six Star Wars films.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: It's another podcast.
Speaker 2: It's in my top six star Wars. But yeah, you know, Da Vinci Code's and Apollo thirteen.
Speaker 1: He's a bit of a mine. Yeah, but he has he's a little interesting. He did like rush rush, like he steps out of himself, can't you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is I think this is a proof to me that he's he's a really artistic director. This film, the ability to wrangle the cast, to make those little choices. You know, we've already kind of talked about how everyone gets an arc and everyone gets moments to be funny but also surprising. Characters can move you in this movie, and I got side, like blindsided by the grandmother, who just seems like a comedy character in this like a doddering old lady, and then she comes in with this amazing monologue how life's a roller coaster, and I didn't even know what was happening. I thought, Oh, she's entered the scene. She's gonna say some non sequiteur and then she'll she'll leave and we'll all laugh at this silly old lady. But she ends up saying the thing that sums up the movie's message, and I again fighting back tears. As soon as I realized I was watching the message of the movie come out of this lady's mouth. I'm like, oh, god, Ron, you did it. You got me.
Speaker 1: I love the fact there's respect for like. She could have been a comedy character in a mumbling. Could have been when with the back around the head Yeah I had the headbutting. Yeah, yeah, exactly. Oh that could have made it too cool? Yeah, absolutely, But Jesus, she's a source of generally fun, you know, I think in the in the movie. But let's have a listen to her. Her amazing roller coaster analogy.
Speaker 10: You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster. Oh, up down, up down.
Speaker 2: Oh what a ride.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what a great story.
Speaker 10: I always want to go again. It was just interesting to me that a rye could make me so so frightened, so scared, so sick, so so excited, and and so thrilled altogether. Some didn't like it. They went on the merry go round, don't just go to wrong nothing.
Speaker 7: I like the roller coaster.
Speaker 1: You get my rod of it.
Speaker 10: Well, I'll be seeing you in the car.
Speaker 9: She's a very smart lady.
Speaker 5: Come on, Taylor, your ears are ready.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: A minute ago, I was really confused about life, and then Grandma came in with her wonderful and affecting roller coaster story and now everything's great again.
Speaker 2: I happen to like the roller coaster.
Speaker 7: Okay, as far as I'm concerned, your grandmother is brilliant.
Speaker 2: Come on, Taylor, come on, hurry up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's so brilliant.
Speaker 1: How comes she's sitting in her neighbor's car? So yeah, I mean that is and this is all happening whilst I mean that conversation again, this is this idea of the melancholy and and and the last kind of happening kind of you know, concurrently sometimes you know, and they just had a conversation. If I'm not mistaken, they've just had a conversation about that. They had the conversation. Actually, I'm trying to think now of of the abortion conversation, you.
Speaker 2: Know, theola before the play and Gil. It's actually a really sweet moment. Gil is just watching Mary Steinberg and fix her kid's costume, and he just tells her he loves her, and then she she's she's like, yeah, but do you want to have a kid and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is the abortion conversation and then the school the baseball catch where you're going to realize is this has put me in a mood now where I'm like, yeah, and then he says I love you, which I think only until you're married or you're in a long term, a long term you know, relationship. Can you realize? Sometimes when I've watched it as a kid, I thought, yeah, well that's what married people did, they tell each other they love Yeah. Yeah, But when you've been with the part of a long time, you know, sometimes sometimes that takes courage to actually say when you're actually not on the best of terms right now. I know, yeah, to say I love you.
Speaker 2: I'm married or been married for seven years, but we've been together for fifteen and yeah. Sometimes days go by where you don't say it, and sometimes you're fighting and you just think, I need to bridge the gap here and I just need to say something incredibly nice so that we can move through it. And even though we're still angry at each other, I just want her to know that I'm still here and I'll be here, you know. Yeah, So it is sweet when you watch and again, I'm just getting older and noticing these things in movies and feeling moved by them. Yeah yeah, realizing that this is life and these things that when I was younger, I would have probably scoffed at or sneered at. Now I'm looking at and going, that's real life. This movie has captured moments of real.
Speaker 1: Life absolutely, and like to be honest these days, when they have that discussion and Steve Martin infers, you know, he says, you know, this means I'm going to have to work more, so you're going to have to find help somewhere else, you know. And she says, why don't you say what you're really thinking? And it's about having an abortion, and he says, well, that's a choice only a woman can make. Now, I mean, I love that. I don't love that's his viewpoint, but I just love that it's in the movie. And I'm not sure if Now in twenty twenty two is progressive as we are a writer, at least, I was making a completely really edgy but in the mainstream comedy it would allow their main character to have that viewpoint or to say that loud. Yeah, I think it's really quite it's really quite cutting edge.
Speaker 2: I think it's awesome. I loved it. I love that whole argument. I couldn't believe it. You know, you never see that anymore. It's always the leading man would be incredibly woke and progressive, but this was he has almost a conservative view when it comes to the gender dynamics in a marriage. And and she calls him on it too, you know, like she's amazing. She stands up for herself and she tells him he's a dick basically, and they have this big, real argument. It feels so real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I haven't.
Speaker 2: Had this exact argument, but we've had big arguments where you are lashing out at each other. Yeah, and it's that's what this felt like.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. And you mentioned earlier the flashback scenes or the flash sorry, the flash forward scene or the fantasy scenes if you like, of when the baseball scenes happens. Let's have listened to at least the first one where he gil puts his kid in and he sees that this could be the defining moment in Kevin's life. And he flashes forward to a bella Victorian speech given by a future Kevin.
Speaker 4: Now, it was my great pleasure to introduce our valedictorian.
Speaker 2: Kevin.
Speaker 1: But thank you.
Speaker 4: You know, when I was nine years old, I had kind of a rough time. A lot of people thought I was pretty mixed up, but there.
Speaker 9: Was one person who got me through it.
Speaker 2: He did everything right, and thanks.
Speaker 4: To him, today one of the happiest, most confident, and most well adjusted person in this world.
Speaker 7: Dad, I love you.
Speaker 2: I mean standing ovation, standing ovation.
Speaker 1: He's also projecting a world where Mary Steinberger's not even not even there.
Speaker 2: I noticed that too him, Like, why didn't they get steenberg And into this shoot? It would have been surely it would have been like an hour get her in.
Speaker 1: Just hanging out with Ted Jedi dat not with Ted dancing that day. But yeah, I think it's so funny.
Speaker 2: And that's immediately followed up by the the other fantasy where his son's become a school shooter and he's in the bell tower taking people out. It's got that's full Steve Martin off the leash moment.
Speaker 1: Well that's another moment, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got the bullhorn and he's kind of calling out to him and he starts singing the diarrhea song.
Speaker 1: The singer, though, is like, let's sing one of the old tune perfect callback, Like callback should always happen when you know they should come out of left field where you don't you're not you don't see them coming. Yeah, and the fact that he's seeing that this is this song that brought him so much, so much misery in the car at the start, is now how he's trying to reconnect with his son. He's shooting from a bell tower.
Speaker 2: Calling it one of the old tunes as well. It's so funny, like it's from the old country or something.
Speaker 1: Let's also this is a quick mention to the parent at the at the baseball game, whose son's obviously the star of the Clint Howard, Clint Howard, Yes, so good. Can we have a little this may be under no business. Let's have listened to I've lived through, been at sporting games where there's parents not dissimilar to this.
Speaker 3: You're nosy out there business, no, yeah, out there.
Speaker 1: That's all we need is And it's just it's just again, if you've got a small role, make that role as funny as possible.
Speaker 2: I know, and they do it and cass Clint Howard, you know, like that's that's when you know you're watching a Ron Howard movie. I think Clint pops up. I'm such a sucker for him as a character actor. Anytime he shows up in something, he's always funny. He always elevates it. He's got that bizarre look. He's so identifiable. Yeah, really funny. And I with you. I've I played soccer all through my childhood and my dad was probably more of a gill, but there were plenty of other dads who would just scream at us from the sidelines, and I always thought it was insane. Even as a ten year old, I thought, why are these grown men screaming at us?
Speaker 1: It's so I completely agree, and I've seen it as an adult, and I've seen it when I was growing up. In fact, one of my teammates had a dad who was famous for yelling at and usually mostly encouraging them, not always, not always even to us or to the opposition, but I will. The other thing it captures is, though, and I notice now as an adult and that my boys who have played sport and they've all thankfully they've all won at least one premiership beach is the joy that exactly if one had a missed out it would have been tough. One just recently lost to a basketball grand final, which is it's all character building, But the joy that it does give you, even if it's not a grand final, even if it's a tight game, the joy it gives you. I'm a massive Collingwood fan. I love going to watch Collinwold, always have, but I will take watching my kids in a game like over. It most weet unless it's a big Collingwood game, But there is a joy that So that elevation that Steve Martin has I kind of thought I understood as a kid, but now that I've gone through, I do know how it can actually just make your day, your week. And that's that springboards him into kind of you know, you know, a point where he's prepared to say I love you too to his wife.
Speaker 2: I it made me feel guilt for how shit I was at soccer because I just thought my dad had to really watch me for about ten years be bad at this game. He had to come along every week and be supportive and just know that he was watching failure. It must have been so heartbreaking for him because he's a good player. My dad's a good, you know, football player. But it must have just really upset him that I wasn't.
Speaker 1: I hopefully comes to your comedy shows and yeah, yeah, hopefully just quickly before we go back to Helen and told him not talking about Counta Reeves. And we haven't even talked about We haven't talk about this. It's insane. It's an insane film.
Speaker 2: Nathan and Susan, Oh my god, we haven't even talked about. Rick moranis.
Speaker 1: Rick moranis what the hell?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: It's a Canadian comedy god. And you know he's so good obviously in Ghostbusters, Yeah, and obvious hunging out rot the kids in those films, but done Little Shop of Horrors.
Speaker 2: I love I love Little Shop.
Speaker 1: It's this acod like Rick moranis is really funny in this. That relationship is really funny. It's not the one, it's not the one you kind of think about going forward.
Speaker 2: No, it's a it's a pretty restrained Morana's performance too. You know if he used to Seeing him in Ghostbusters where he's dialed all the way up in full geek mode. It's interesting because he's he's an alpha in this. He's like an intelligent alpha male. And even the way his wife talks about him is like it's like they're describing another actor. I find it so interesting. Yeah, she's like, he was so hot back in college and he used to go down on him in the car and then you kind of there's a bit of a disconnect with be going. She's talking about Rick moranis which makes it.
Speaker 1: So much more interesting and funny. And and by the way that the BJA scene, that is a perfectly executed scene. I wasn't gonna say, b J, we don't see.
Speaker 2: That, We don't see that great comedy cut.
Speaker 1: It is a great comedy cut. So you have the idea that Steve Martin Gill's feeling the tension. Mary Steinberger clocks it, and then she goes down on him, and it's just a perfect cut to you almost say the steam first coming out out of the the engine, and then you're kind of pan down you see the engine. It's a laugh there, and then it kind of just moves across and I think Gil comes out with you and he's's got a tissue to his head, he's obviously cut his brow or something. And then she Mary. He moves towards the camera Mary Steinberg and says she's embarrassed and apologizing. Enter the police. Police officer, what happened here? Steve Martin says, honey, why don't you show him?
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: That is again, comedy directors don't get the kudos they deserve. Yeah, and we're talking about a lot of the nice touches. But it's so easy to fuck up a comedy, get in its way.
Speaker 2: I know that it's honestly masterful the way that they handle that scene. I couldn't believe how funny it was. You know, it's twenty twenty two and I was cracking up jokes from nineteen eighty nine. But yeah, like Mirani's character in this, I think pretty will be underrated. Maybe it's kind of maybe he gets lost in the mix a little bit, but it's a great type of guy, the guy that wants his kid to academically succeed and be a genius. And I guess it's dialed up by the fact that he's actually just putting a lot of pressure on a four year old girl or something. You know that it is funny, but it's not played for laughs. It's kind of played a bit more of a dramatic Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean the very first time, I think you see then he's played for life. That is the reveal that the reveal that he's talking too. You know, he's very young, he's just three daughter, But I think it's still I think I think we're supposed to be laughing. But I think I like that Rick moranis doesn't doesn't overplay it. And again there's just all these little moments where in the writing they're's reminding us of everybody's story. When the idea when Larry, so, when Larry comes home, the chain reaction of that means that grandmother has to go and live somewhere else, And Nathan says, well, this would be would be a great multi generational influence on Patty. Again, it's just finding moments, whatever moment you can to remind the audience of You kin'd of have everyone to kind of have six big scenes to get their story across. Yeah, so you just have these little moments.
Speaker 2: They get a nice The moment where she tells him she wants to break up with him is played through the cards. Yeah, I think that's hilarious, really great way to do that too, to take what could be a really heavy moment and turn it into a comedy beat.
Speaker 1: And when she says, you know, when you she has the cart I'm leaving you, and he says, you're leaving me, and then.
Speaker 2: The next cart is yes, so funny, so good, so funny. It's so good and then they get the payoff where he does the big grand emotional gesture to her by singing whier birds suddenly appear in front of all her class. It's cheesy, yes, but it works.
Speaker 1: It works. I think it works, and I think they earn these moments because they have gone to like more interesting areas as as the movie has has played out, and we'll talk about the end soon. I'll tell you the best performance in the movie is young Justin, Young Justin, who is the youngest of the Backman kids. So when you watch it again, look at every scene Justin's in. You could not get a better performance out of a two year also took one at a team the only full frontal nudity scene in the film. Yeah, yeah, you could not. I've directed it, you know, some episodes of television, and I've directed young young people, and I swear you could not. From his physicality to his expressions on his face, how I would like I would love to top to Ron how and say how did you get that? That's like and it's luck and it's it's like in a bottle. You're asolutely right and sometimes use this. You put a camera on and you kind of wait, for him to because there's a bit where he's in that scene where Rick Randas comes in and they talk about the you know how powerful he is at sex and and and and then the DJ stuff, and then he comes in with the bucket on his head and rams the wall and he rams all and then he said he's gonna come back from all and he's feeling a bit dizzy, and then his hand as gently goes up against the wall.
Speaker 2: It's like he steadies himself.
Speaker 1: He steadies himself.
Speaker 2: It is it's really funny.
Speaker 1: It's a perfect Now I'm not saying there are other performances that deserve more attentionent but if you watch it, there's not a single frame that he's in that it's like, oh, that's a kid. That's just the kid, you know. That's that's the best they could get out of him.
Speaker 2: He gets, you know, and you can tell he's taking direction too. There's a part towards them where he's looking at a poster of it's like that iconic poster of all these little babies with their bums out, yeah, and he's looking at it, and then he starts looking at his own bomb, yeah, and kind of touching it and like, oh, that's that's a kid taking direction. They would have told him to do that, and he did it.
Speaker 1: At the play. That's my sister, Yeah, my sister. It's it's it's incredible. Before we get to the end, I want to go back to. I do want to go back to because I haven't spoken about County Reeves and that's yeah, people will be yelling at for doing that. This is like this is pre Bill and Ted's I think, is it is it?
Speaker 2: It must be around this around that time. But he's certainly in that he's in mode. Yeah, but it's really really good. I did not know he was in this movie. I also love Martha Plimpton. Didn't know she was in it, so that was a big surprise to have them both be as great as they are in this. They they got my favorite arc in this whole story because it's so teenage. That intense love you feel for your first proper boyfriend or girlfriend. You think it's world ending, like I need to be with this person forever. I will move out. I want to live with them. I want to I'll sneak them into my home. I'll get a haircut for them. You know, you do feel that intensity and and you know, as Diane Wee says in the movie, it's probably not gonna last, but it's what she wants, so I have to support it.
Speaker 1: You know, that's such a such a sweet moment. And I mean when they get the I'm not sure if you ever recorded your love on a Kodak camera and a Kodak I mean, it's I mean, I said, I don't think this film is dated much at all. Like outside of the diversity, I think most of it holds up really well. I mean there's always stuff like there's videotapes and all that, But that was a reminder the but the it reminded me of the you know, going before you could take a photo on your phone and see it straight away, like you the courage it would take to make, you know, to record your love on camera and to take it into you know, same day photos, day photos to get developed. The developer scene a copy of the guy that both has heard about it. So he's having a look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone's look.
Speaker 1: I was looking at photos and I would be sending somebody else to pick up those photos. Otherwise I'd be wearing a very heavy disguise.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I've never taken nude photos and certainly never had them developed or anything like that. But gay good. But I did. When I was a teenager and I had a girlfriend, we sent each other sexy text messages. And this is in the era, the nokiat era, where you type the text first. Then the next thing is you select the number that it's going to.
Speaker 1: Oh it's dangerous, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Her name started with M, which is very close to mom. And I sent a particularly graphic text to my mum and I felt my whole like soul leave my body, you know, and my mum rang me and she was crying. It was very similar to this scene in the movie where she was crying. I just didn't I can't believe I had to see that. Why would you use you know, what would you send that? It's it's it's truly mortifying to reveal, like to have your parents find out that you're a sexual person in that way, and to.
Speaker 1: Find like again the performances dining watching is so funny. You can see his face in this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that. I'm going to save this one from my wallet.
Speaker 1: And I love that Keanu is not in that scene because it makes sense. You wouldn't when you realize what's happened, you would have been taking your boyfriend to have that conversation.
Speaker 2: But he gets He gets to do a lot more in this movie than you'd think. You know, he gets the really sweet moment with Gary, he gets to connect with Diane by you know, fulfilling in the father role essentially for Gay.
Speaker 1: Well, this is each characters got their own art, but they've also got a little connections between them. Like even with that, you know, in that family, like there's something happening between you know, Helen and and you know Martha Plimpton's character Julie, and then there's something happened between Helen and Todd. There's a relationship there that develops. There's obviously Helen and Gary. You know, there's Gary and Todd, and there's you know, Gary and Julie. It's it's all. It's so there's it's so interconnected in such a beautiful and seemingly effortless way. Even though we know that things this would the storyboarding that would have gone on and the mapping out of the of where each character was at each time. Bubba and they worked hard, they worked hard on this, and then they got the rewards because it's a great film. Let's ever listen to Keanu Reeves in a wonderful performance of Dying where he's in the kitchen after he's just chatted to Gary and revealed that well, he's been slapping the salami.
Speaker 4: He was afraid there was something wrong with him, you know, like he was a per route or something.
Speaker 1: I told him that's what little dudes do.
Speaker 9: We've all done it.
Speaker 4: That made him happy.
Speaker 7: Gary was happy.
Speaker 4: Man, he even smiled.
Speaker 10: I never even knew he had teeth.
Speaker 5: I guess the boy Gary's ads really needs a manner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, hm, hm.
Speaker 1: Depends on the man.
Speaker 2: I had a man around.
Speaker 4: He used to wake me up in the morning by flicking the cigarettes at my head. Hey, asshole, get up and make me breakfast. You know, miss buckman, you need a license to buy a dog or drive a car. Hell, you need a license to catch a fish. But don't let any but memon asshole be a father.
Speaker 1: It's that good.
Speaker 2: It's great because it's a he's playing a comedy character in this. You know, he's essentially playing Ted from Bill and Ted like a real like browe. He has that surfa kind of accent, but there's still layers to it, and he still gets to do lovely stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Oh when when he would have read that script and you know, read the first half and go okay, I think I know what this is for the ride? Yeah, but then the read the moment where about his dad looking cigarettes at him, you know, almost took me back to Judd Nelson in the Product Club.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, what about you dad? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's done in a very different way. And then he has that little week on shakes himself out of it.
Speaker 8: So what was that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So nice? That's what I mentioned. A biology teacher. Yeah, I mean it's not one of the great performances. It's almost like they run out of budget.
Speaker 2: Who they get for that again, I'm trying to remember who the.
Speaker 1: I didn't write his name teacher down. It's the only performance that kind of took me out of the of the movie momentarily. He has this line where, you know, you know, it's it's a hard line, probably the make work because it's supposed to be a cheesy line. But when they're coming in from the car, dying wises thanks for taking me to the carnival, and he says, you thought that was the carnival that was my parents' house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I guess they wanted him to be a dog, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, like it fits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: It was just the only little performance that kind of took me out. This for a so true.
Speaker 2: They run out of budget.
Speaker 1: They got some poor link I think his name, yeah, Paul Link.
Speaker 2: He does fine work. But you know, that could have been That could have been God, that could have been you. You could have done that.
Speaker 1: I could I could have could have.
Speaker 2: Been you could have knocked that out of the past.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I'm not sure I could have gone such an IMPRESSI mustache and a ment. I would have been hanging out with dying weis, which would have That's not bad, that's good. That's a good couple of weeks. Another scene that I I I'd love. So you have the moment where Frank sits down with Larry and says, Okay, this is the plan I'm gonna I'm going to save you. Let's get the gangsters off your back. But you know, I'll take care of them. But then Monday you come to work for me, and it's like, okay, he's done that. And then and as he's leaving the table, he says to him, Okay, before we put the Frank Buckman, how about this? And he sells him on another.
Speaker 2: Hot tip from Brazil or something like South America, and no one.
Speaker 1: He's going to go the South America to follow this hot tip. He's going to leave cool behind. And it's like and and Frank just kind of nods and says, Okay, I love that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it could have been it could have been a big opportunity for the screenwriters to script in you know, the dad, you know, tearing his son a new one and kind of saying you need to stand up and be a father. But to make the choice to have him just accept his son's flaws and still be kind to him and let him go around and be an asshole, and but know that he's he's going to be there to take care of his grands. I think it's really lovely.
Speaker 1: One of the sometimes people do when they think of this film, if they haven't seen it for a long time, or if they haven't seen the film, they might view this as possible saccer and kind of you know, a film. Sometimes I think that the accusation comes from possibly the final sequence, which is some beautiful kind of music. And as a newborn, did you did you guess who the newborn? You didn't?
Speaker 2: I liked that there was a little mystery there, Yeah, for a few seconds.
Speaker 1: And there are actually a couple of newborns that was also littlest on the idea. Yeah, and you see the family together, What do you think of that?
Speaker 2: So I it's exactly the type of scene that I would have turned my nose up at a few years ago. But I really liked how the dialogue gets taken out so we can't really hear. You know, they're all in the hospital room together, they're all celebrating the birth of this newborn baby. We can't hear what they're saying to each other. The Randy Newman score is up, and we're just watching them for I think it feels like two minutes. We're just watching a family celebrate and have little conversations. We can't hear what they're saying. And I found myself kind of moved it because I was just watching people a family engage with each other the way they normally do, and they're having little laughs and they're kind of hugging each other, and there's a nice moment where Steve Martin's character is changing the nappy of his own newborn while he's just talking to his sister about I don't even know. Yeah, I think that's kind of nice that we're just watching them interact. It almost felt like a documentary for a moment.
Speaker 1: I mean when I saw it originally, I loved it and it gave me all the feels, and I continued to I did wonder how I was going to feel about it. Was it going to be too sugary? But I think, like I said, because they have all these moments and you are going through the trials and tribulations of a family, so and I don't think they're saying, oh, everything's good now. Yeah, this is like one perfect moment in time. Yeah. Yeah, And that's how we're finishing our film. This is there'll be something else that happens next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And that's a nice way to look at it. It's like a little freeze frame. You know, we can't hear them, it's just he is a nice moment where they're all happy. Yeah, and you're right, next week, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, Julie and Garry want to go back to his dad again.
Speaker 2: Kim jacking off you know Rick moranis will be an asshole of his wife again. Yeah, you're right. I mean, I think the fact that the movie has such big laughs in it earns the sugary sweetness. And that's fine.
Speaker 1: You know, I love it.
Speaker 2: Fine with it, I got. I can't stress enough. I did not think I was going to like this. I really loved it. I think anyone who's a fan of comedy should watch it. And I think if you enjoy the Judd Apatow model of film, this is like a precursor to it, and it's it's really cool to see. It's really cool to see all these comedy actors working within this tone. I think it's really nice.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure where this film would lay in my favorite films word time, but I think watching it a couple of weeks now talking to you about it, I think it's skyrocketed me too, somewhere in my you know, it may be top ten, top twenty, or I.
Speaker 2: Think when people ask me what my top movies, I always stress out, But this is going to become a go to mention. I think I'm going to say top ten for sure.
Speaker 1: Well, a couple of quick fun facts before we wrap up, Steve Martin was forty four when this was shot. He plays He mentioned this thirty five something. Executives, we're worried about that. It didn't seem to No, No, I didn't notice it. I don't realize.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's right. He is thirty five.
Speaker 1: That's a thirty five. I mean he's always he's a great Yeah. I think it was. You know, we used to Steve Martin by then, so you know his face is pretty young. But he actually didn't become a father unto sixty seven, only like ten years ago.
Speaker 2: Unbelievably played is very believable.
Speaker 1: He is extremely believable. I think I said maybe this was in the intrad this might have been his first role as a father, of course, playing trains and automobiles. He's playing a father, but we don't. It's kind is estrange from his kids home back to Chicago. Dame Helen Mirren said of this film she never ever regretted not having kids, something that she's been very comfortable with, except when she watched this movie and for a period of about twenty minutes she sobbed, just realizing when when Jason Robard said, the idea that you you know, you worry that you know, you always you're always a parent, You're always worry. She said, she sobbed, thinking that she'd never experience that that kind of phenomenon.
Speaker 2: I thought it was very so relatable. I don't have kids, and yeah, my wife and I won't have children, I don't think. But yeah, this movie made me kind of want to go through what looks like a horrible experience.
Speaker 1: It's the roller coaster. Yeah, it is the roller coaster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really relatable.
Speaker 1: Good on your Helen and another Helen. Helen Shaw played the grandmother and this was her final film. She died eight years later, Cracked the Ton. It was one hundred when she died two when she shot this, and she passed away nineteen ninety seven. Again, it was really great, even that moment where she's smoking the you know, pretend to smoke the cigar when you know.
Speaker 2: The dad's she has a helium. Gags, he gags.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Steve Martin has daughter in this, Allison Porter, when und to play Curly Suit. But it was also his daughter in Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
Speaker 2: Oh really, yeah, Curly Sue.
Speaker 1: That's the John Hughes, Yes, John Hughes movie. Funny enough. The Great Outdoors, one of the porn that covers is a John Hugh movie as well, so they are the fun facts. This is one of the movies that I loaded up with so many clips, more than they usually have, and there were there were another five or six more that I would have loved. We haven't even spoken about the buildo. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: You know that's the only thing I knew about this movie. I remember that from when it was on television when I was a kid. I think my parents were watching it. I remember that moment. It still lands. It's still really funny.
Speaker 1: And again go to grandmother, was mate. This podcast comes with homework. I really appreciate you doing it.
Speaker 2: Oh I loved doing the homework. And I also when I watched it. I watched it twice, and then I watched This Is forty by Jade Appatow. And now I'm going to watch broadcast News when I get home. I'm in the zone for this type of movie.
Speaker 1: We did Broadcast News with Brendan caw but pretty Christmas and I hadn't seen it. I thought i'd seen it. I hadn't. You're in for a treat.
Speaker 10: It is.
Speaker 1: It's so much fun. It's so much fun. Cam. If you get a chance to go see Electric Dreams. You're touring the country, go check it out. Very funny, getting rave reviews, selling out of the Malton International Comedy Festival. So get along and see Cam wherever you get a chance. Also, congratulations on the recent commission for Finding Ye Sus.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that is so you're not finding Kanye as such, but it's related.
Speaker 2: To this is the least he told you about it?
Speaker 1: No, I actually read about it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So it's a video game.
Speaker 2: Video game on the internet called Kanye Quest, which is a Kanye West themed video game, and the rumor or urban legend is that it was a game created by a cult as a recruitment tool for their members, and so Alexi and I are investigating whether that's true or not. We've gone pretty deep down the rabbit hole.
Speaker 1: And when can people see that?
Speaker 2: That will be on That'll be on YouTube on Auntie Donna's YouTube channel, which is called Grousehouse.
Speaker 1: They're doing some amazing stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'll be coming out, I think, you know, pro I'd imagine towards the end of the year. We're working on it at the moment, so.
Speaker 1: We'll keep an eye out for it. Cam, thanks for joining us, man.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Helln's fine.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed that. Cameron James, what a delight, what a funny man, and really glad. I'm and I'm always hopeful that my guest hasn't wasted their time and watched a movie they didn't like. Path from Judith Lussey, who I kind of knew wasn't going to like Sound of Music. Well I didn't know, but I had an inkling. But she was hilarious about it and we had a lot of fun in that live broadcast. But really, because I think, like I said, Fatherhood, I think it's skyrocketed back up into my favorite films. Really enjoyed it, the fact we both watched it twice this week. If you haven't seen it, some people do listen to this podcast without seeing the movies. Obviously there's spoilers all the way through. But if you are one of those people, and I really urge you to watch Parenthood it is. I think it's a beautiful piece of work, very funny. I'm a castaway Studios. Derek Meis is the man who puts all this together. Derek god A, have you seen Parenthood.
Speaker 3: Look, I sure have.
Speaker 9: Parenthood's got a bit of a funny story for me. I probably came out when I was about twenty three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which a bit of a weird time. I imagined, like parent because you hear the young and you kind of like get the sillyness of it, like I was fourteen when I saw it, or you watch it when you're older, and maybe you are a parent in your twenties, you're probably out, you're doing different stuff than you connect with it at all.
Speaker 3: I don't that's the thing. You assume it's a comedy. You were saying before, how it's a drama?
Speaker 9: Did you say drama d I've never heard that word before, but that's that nails it, and we weren't used to that, so I guess you go in thinking it's a comedy. Then I actually had a bit of a cry and I watched that film and I never really looked into why.
Speaker 3: I just thought that's weird at a comedy. Must be something wrong with me.
Speaker 9: Never right, And it wasn't until last night when I watched it again, I realized, well, it's not just a comedy and I'm a weirdo.
Speaker 3: It was touching on lots of different stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought I wonder what.
Speaker 3: I wonder what it was though, because it's too long ago, and I thought maybe maybe I.
Speaker 9: Saw myself as Larry Run Maybe I was worried about letting my dad down or something like who knows, yeah, weird father thing or whatever. But such a good film though across the board, so many things as a parent now it's a whole nother world of interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's timeless because I think it's a very honest look at at parenting. Obviously, it's a Hollywood film, and it's a mainstream Hollywood film, so there are things that pan out the way they do. Kevin of course was going to take that catch, but these things to have you experience those moments, and there is the rollercoaster of emotions that you go through as a parent. The constant worrying is I think what they got absolutely right, Like is Kevin, you know, is this something we need to be worried about? Or is this is something do we need to talk about? Kevin? You know? Like, I just think it really still rings true. Another really beautiful touch from Ron Howard and the writers. When he arrives, he gives that his dad Frank model car and it's the same car that he has. And then later on it's a bit of a foreshadowing going on because later on he basically try he takes that car with a view of maybe selling it to make the money. So it's just, you know, again, it's just telling us that this guy Larry, he takes more than he gives. He gives us tiny car and takes the big car. But of course people can email us at yasny podcast at gmail dot com. So reach out, let us know we want to do another live broadcast. Let us know what movie you'd like us to either do live or even in the studio, or who you would like to see us reach out to to ask as far as our guests go, and hopefully we can marry those two things up, but we would love to do My brain is ticking over as to a venue and a live another live event, because it was just joyous, the one with Judith Lucy. If you haven't if you weren't there, you can listen even if you were there. It was released a couple of weeks ago. You can find that a couple of episodes back. But also, what's this speak pipe? You keep banging on about Derek.
Speaker 9: The speak pipe is just a really easy way for people to just to open up a website and leave a little leave a little vocal message.
Speaker 3: Yep to us. So it's like sending an email, but you get to read it yourself.
Speaker 1: We would love to hear it from you.
Speaker 2: Not just.
Speaker 1: Read your thoughts, but why not put a voice to it. We would love to hear you on our speak pipe and we'll play it back and we'll answer any questions or thoughts that you have next week on the show. This is a big one and it'll makes sense both. It's an epic movie and a massive guess. He's a three time God LOGI win a man who's had an enormous impact on my career and my life. It's Rove mcmaus, my great mate, and this is a movie. When I asked him to do it, I feel like he's taking a bullet for the team. He's only a mate would do this. He has agreed to watch a movie that runs for three hours and fifteen minutes. That's right, that some A movie that some people would argue is the greatest film of all time certainly was released in the maybe the greatest film Year of All Time, nineteen thirty nine, Clark Gable, vivianly the sweeping yet problematic epic that is gone with the wind. That's right, Rove, and I tackle it for all it's glory and all it's shame. It'll'll be laid bare next week, and you ain't seen nothing yet. Gone with the wind, with roving matters until then, both for now, and so we leave all Pete Saint Mansel, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.