Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 1: A few weeks ago, we spoke about Roman Empire core. How like you've heard it already. Apparently straight men or just men in general think about the Roman Empire heaps, and it was baffling to a lot of people. But then I did some self reflection and realized that Britney Spis is my Roman Empire. I think about it all the time. At the time, I didn't even realize that she was my screen safer. You can see the video on Frooms with three o's. Anyway, after I posted that very successful fifty thousand view video, I got a DAN from a woman called Ellen. She writes frooms and it's just two oh, so you know she's a true fan. Sorry for the caps, but I think I solved the universal female equivalent of the Roman Empire. The marriage wedding process.
Speaker 2: Whoa she writes.
Speaker 1: So this involves thinking about thinking about getting engaged, thinking about what your wedding might look like, pop culture and celebrity weddings, celebrity divorce and relationship changes, gossip about weddings, either of friends you've been to or seen on social.
Speaker 3: The whole cinematic universe is matrimonya because now that makes a lot more sense.
Speaker 2: I said, weddings, surely not.
Speaker 1: Okay, if your anti marriage and all that entails, Yes, she goes on, I would hazard. I guess that women would think about marriage in some form or another in the same range as men think about the Roman Empire.
Speaker 2: Eg.
Speaker 1: Some all the bloody time and others maybe not at all.
Speaker 3: Isn't it ironic because like, women didn't really have rights in the Roman Empire, so that didn't marry you to like be considered people, and then women are thinking about marriage.
Speaker 2: It's in sync.
Speaker 1: Honestly. Yeah, it's quite poetic. Said thanks for coming to my ted talk, and I said, thank you for giving me content, thank you for my brain or show queen incredible. Okay, So all growing up, I can't decide if I was a really girly girl or not. It's so hard to tell because you were funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so's like she's probably a tomboy.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, she was probably a tombo growing up, but I think I was curler.
Speaker 3: I was just what you've shown me is your adolescents. You seemed quite hyper fam.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, definitely maybe like when I was a little baby, like toddler vibes, a bit grubby, like I had horrible hair, like the thinnest hair, it's little fuzzy, like I wasn't giving like classical girly vibes.
Speaker 2: But you're also a toddlers a lot of pressure.
Speaker 1: I just wasn't servenge when you could.
Speaker 2: Dress yourself and be a sentient person.
Speaker 1: Then we started to eat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yes, you've always been a girly girl. Please continue to see the gay.
Speaker 1: The one thing that I always thought about with weddings was how I might have said this on the podcast before Bama repeated how embarrassing, deeply embarrassing it would be to have to kiss someone at the end of the aisle in front of my parents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the way this actually ate.
Speaker 1: Me alive and keep me up at night, Like I'm gonna have to kiss someone in front of my parents, And even now I think about if I'm thinking about a wedding, I'm literally thinking about the kiss, kissing someone I haven't even thought that I don't. Yeah, babe, let it keep you up. I believe in no PDA around parents, Like every time that I've had someone over, like, don't touch my knee. Yeah, but like we're friends, truly, are you the same? Get off me?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's real appropriate. But to be fair, because I love PDA generally. I think it's fun and funny, okay, But so much about wedding culture I find really cringey only because of my relationship to attention. I like feeling like I've earned my attention, so I did something with merit that warranted an applause, or I put a lot of effort into how I look, therefore you can acknowledge it and say you look good. Or I put a lot of effort into articulating or deciding what I feel, so when you commend me on.
Speaker 2: That, that feels right. Okay.
Speaker 3: But what I don't like is like I don't like hosting a birthday party because I feel like I'm pulling everybody here under duress against their will to ceprate. Weddings feel like an amplified version of that, because in my experience, a lot of the intimacy you share in relationships is private. You know, like when you're really building with someone, it's private. The conversations you have to get there, the romance, all of that stuff. It's all private and then you have a wedding and it's amplified times one thousand in the most stereotypical way that lacks any kind of flavor. Most weddings, I'm not even trying to be shady, are copies and paste of the last wedding. I don't think I've observed or been to any wedding that felt truly so unique and a proper representation of the people being married.
Speaker 2: Wow, and that's my issue.
Speaker 3: You're going to go there do cosplay performance art of your love and I don't know if it's a thing that you experience, but when people really try and show you that they're in love, it feels like they're trying to conceal something out. I'm like, maybe you guys really hate each other, because this can't be real.
Speaker 2: I believe you. It's enough.
Speaker 3: A paragraph vows to me seems so intimate that I don't know why you'd want to do that in front of strangers. If I'm really looking at the person that I think that I love so much that I'm trying to merge our lives together in the most permanent way possible, I don't want to tell that really intimate story of when I knew.
Speaker 1: That's true, but like I think, when you love someone so much you want to share it, there's like this desire to like hard post vibes absolutely launch.
Speaker 3: There definitely is a desire to hard launch, but you recognize I feel like weddings are really good at recognizing the superficiality of love, but not the stuff that the real stuff, like the the blood, sweat and tears type vibe of love when it's like, Okay, we didn't actually just like roll over and decide that we're good partners. It actually took a bit of conflict to get here, and so I feel like weddings don't acknowledge that. And I feel like that's why the divorce rate is so high, because people really start buying the lies they're selling to curate this perfect wedding. I know a ton of people who are really embarrassed by their ring, embarrassed by the way they were proposed to, embarrassed by the trials and tribulations they had to get to to get to the point of marriage, and pretend those things don't exist when it comes time to having a wedding, because it doesn't suit the narrative, and for the first six months you're on the high of the fairy tale. It's like the honeymoon stage times too, but in this period, it's not just you and your partner trying to make sure you're keeping the story straight. You've gone and showed you're one hundred nearest and dearest, how solid you are, and so now when the facade starts showing, it's it's worse because everyone's like, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: I saw you you.
Speaker 1: So love And that's what I think after weddings when someone breaks up after I'm like, wait, but you guys, legit seems so happy.
Speaker 3: Exactly because that's what was caught of you for the moment, and you're a performer. For me, I'm a performer. What do we do when it's time to perform? We can't get in a room without doing cheat chats. Literally, you know, we can't even help ourselves. So imagine a wedding where you put your hair in your makeup. You've spent ninety k to get this down. You think I'm not gonna put on a shine.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's why I need for the sake of myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm seeing like, Okay, the City Hall wedding has really had a moment recently with like especially like the woman in a suit type of viable, like the mini dress moment, which I love.
Speaker 2: I love it all. Personally, I wouldn't be wearing a mini dress.
Speaker 1: I think I'm gonna wear like Yeah, redacted.
Speaker 3: That's I've got more to say. Speeches mostly so lame again. You've got people who aren't good public speakers coming up taking a copy and pasted Pinterest speech.
Speaker 2: And they've done it before and they'll do it again.
Speaker 3: Or they tell the most embarrassing story that makes you look like a wilderbeast person making jokes at your expense on your big day.
Speaker 2: Hate it not on the big seating arrangements.
Speaker 3: The amount of times I feel as though I've observed people do seating arrangements and the logic behind, Oh, you take your most social friend and put them on the table with your most friends.
Speaker 2: Don't do that. Everybody.
Speaker 1: Everybody loses in that scenari everybody loses.
Speaker 3: You know, don't make people mingle based on what you perceive to be their strengths and weaknesses. Put them with people they know.
Speaker 1: Let them mingle on the d floor hundred percent, but don't create co mingling.
Speaker 3: Pre getting to know each other, so that sucks. Also when you've got bridesmaids and groomsmen. So let's say, for example, your you have eight friends, and so you have eight bridesmaids, but your partner doesn't have a lot of friends. So now you got Now your partner has to go find seven more friends.
Speaker 2: You have to so it's equal for the photos. Are you kidding?
Speaker 1: In that instance, you have to say sorry, you can only have the same amount as me. That's that's what I do.
Speaker 3: But I'm really excited to see and experienced weddings that feel like a really beautiful reflection of the people getting married from not just from the music, not just from their aesthetics, but the way they choose to do love because it's all feeling like talent show pageant. I really enjoyed getting that out. Thank you so much your.
Speaker 2: Mum doing speech. I don't want any speeches. WHOA really, I really don't.
Speaker 3: If you have something to tell me, I would love to hear it one on one. I would love take me out for dinner and then talk to me and say, like, this is really awesome. I'd love to see how you've evolved. I'd love to see how you've grown. I don't need the collapse of everybody else observing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, all right, I guess I won't be called up then for a little comedy roast at your wedding.
Speaker 2: Flex and this is why you've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 1: For more, tune in de cater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.