Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms on kit We're back Flex and Frooms Podcast edition. It's just as good as the radio versions, but not live.
Speaker 2: I think people want to go and listen to it live.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: I think people want to go and listen to our show lives like.
Speaker 3: A second assumptions or assumptions.
Speaker 1: Okay, alas, we've got a great episode coming up, as we usually do. I talked about my lip balm addiction through me. Was very surprised to hear that I am but a worldly person who would give in to my base needs with moisturized lips.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe it. I see it was an alien on earth, and I still am that person. True dichotomy. I talked about a woman falling down the stairs, not from the Netflix hit The Staircase, which I have watched.
Speaker 3: I don't know that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's about like a case a few years ago where like a woman fell down the stairs and died and everyone thought it was the husband. Ah, but then there was like all this research, like, but she fell at this angle and.
Speaker 3: She likes pewterhead, so he didn't push her. She just fell.
Speaker 2: Need to watch the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cliffhanger. So what is the stair thing that if not the show.
Speaker 2: Oh just this woman like my story? Yeah, oh this man prankd his girlfriend and she fell down the stairs.
Speaker 3: Okay, similar case.
Speaker 2: Actually exactly the same for the little lesser known story. Yeah, we'll stick around. Here's the podcast.
Speaker 4: This is Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 3: We're talking about coded language on dating apps.
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 3: What is it? I'm glad you asked so.
Speaker 1: Coded language are these specific phrases that people use to target or exclude a specific group without actually saying what they're trying to say.
Speaker 3: If you scroll through any popular.
Speaker 1: Dating app, you'll see the same kind of go to phrases all the time. For example, I'm looking for someone who doesn't take themselves too seriously.
Speaker 3: What does that mean? Please translate through me.
Speaker 2: That means I don't want someone high maintenance.
Speaker 3: Go on, keep going.
Speaker 2: That means I don't want someone who thinks that they are good, and I want someone with the healthy self esteem.
Speaker 1: I don't want someone's gonna call me out and stuff.
Speaker 3: It was just a joke. You're gonna be proficient in that. Don't want someone who's gonna hold me to a high standard.
Speaker 1: But you see how from that very specific phrase, it.
Speaker 3: Means all of these other things.
Speaker 1: And somebody would never get an app and say I don't want someone who's going to call me out. They're gonna say I want someone doesn't take themselves too seriously. Or if someone references, you'll find like average people who put a lot of reference to gym training. What are you doing on the weekend, I'm up early in the gym. What do you do for fun? I'm at the gym? Where what do you like to do? What do you like to do? Unwant I'm at the gym. Just say you don't want any facts swiping on you. People won't say that. They won't say my dating preference is someone's slim. They'll do all these coded references to hyperactivity. And I remember seeing this op ed once before of a girl saying that she is a fitness nut, fitness junkie. I think she mentioned that she was an olympian or something for shot put or interested in that. So quite big builded loves athletics and would match all of these guys who would also reference liking athletics, and they would be like, oh no, like we wouldn't be into the same things, Like you said you like the gym what do you mean by that?
Speaker 3: It is fascinating. And as for me, I'm a stickler for language.
Speaker 1: I think it's so interesting that we have all these words at our disposal and we just refuse to use them in the way that we're intended. Also, English just sucks. It's very confusing because you're in your duy lingo bent. Yes, I'm a multi linguist. I'm learning Dutch il She believed too. And so as soon as I recognized what was happening on these dating apps phrases people are using to signal what they wanted without being specific, I started doing the same thing I recently put on my dating apps. I describe myself as high maintenance, and I think the reason why I did that is because I was just getting too many people on the I wanna gellut and they guys are too seriously tip that. I was like, you got the wrong bitch, bab don't let these ash catch and fits fool you. I'm not fun, I'm gonna be a problem. I'm going to be a villain. I'm gonna expect things from you. I'm a stickler. Nothing gets by me, and I think these colors and the smile confuses people. So you hit them with the high maintenance, they weed themselves out and it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Has anyone messaged you saying what do you mean by that?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Hmm seuse, I think whatever you just from that, it's I'm fine with it. If it's like because she likes nice things, because she spends a lot of money, because she's a brat, whatever, I'm happy with it.
Speaker 2: Interesting because I feel like that's so contrary to put that on your page that if I was matching with you, I'd have to say, oh my god, that's funny. What do you mean by that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But I think it's only contrary because people think I'm taking the piss. Yeah, because I'm high maintenance. Like do you know what I'm saying? Like, I think that my lifestyle is not relatable. It's very high maintenance. The things I do, the places I go, the clothes that I wear, it's all high maintenance.
Speaker 3: If you know, like these are eight hundred dollars crocs.
Speaker 1: So when the Christmas praisy time comes, you know what I'm saying, Like I already told you I'm high maintenance, babe, don't get it twisted.
Speaker 3: You know what I think it is.
Speaker 2: I think you're twenty twenty two high maintenance, which is aware. I think there has been this stigma with high maintenance in the past, where it's been totally gendered, and it's been totally like, she's two thousand and one legally blonde. Like I think we used to live in a place where it was more like black and white in terms of how you presented and what that meant about you. Like I think these days bimbo era, bimboification is like the absolute I think height of being your absolute self, being high maintenance, loving getting manicures, pedicures, spending heaps of money on a chihahwa, Like, I think that's cool now, Whereas I think if you put high maintenance in there twenty years ago or ten years ago, I don't think.
Speaker 3: People would We went on dating apps ten years ago.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, But I think what you're saying I'm being contrary to is exactly the opposite of what I'm doing. I'm putting high maintenance because I am high maintenance. I think that women heater, women on dating apps do this thing or they want to be appealing to the most people for validation. I want to be everybody's type I want the most matches. I want to be attractive to all these people. I don't care for that cool, Like, I'm trying to.
Speaker 3: Weed out a very specific pool of people.
Speaker 1: Who I can vibe with, because I already know I can charming and fun and attractive. These aren't qualities I'm looking like. I'm not going on dates to prove that I'm charming to people. I'm trying to attract the people who get what's happening here.
Speaker 2: Wow, I've not heard of that approach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because but I also think people don't date intentionally, Like I just am not interested in giving people the wrong opinion or the wrong impression. And I think that because dating apps are so visual, like you mentioned before, there are very specific visual cues we put.
Speaker 3: To certain people.
Speaker 1: So like, I think that what I mentioned before about hetero girls, especially who date men stereotypically try to appeal to like the broadest range of people. Won't post the photo that's too quirky, too done up, to this, to that, And it's like, but then who are you If you're not trying to appeal to a specific type of person, you appeal to no one.
Speaker 3: And I remember.
Speaker 1: Reading this Okaycupid study that said that people who operate in the niches get more matches than people who are like stereotypically or attractive by mainstreams, because the way we view people who are generically attractive is that, well, they probably have so many matches.
Speaker 3: What's the point you find someone in your very.
Speaker 1: Specific niche Like, if someone matches me and they mentioned Twilight, it's a yes, I don't care what you look like, it's a yes, somebody matches me and they if I look at someone's profile and they filled out their prompts with specific information, like I don't want to hear that you'd like to have fun. I want to hear about the game you played, the book you read, the thing you did. And I feel like people don't do that because they don't want to be judged on who they actually are.
Speaker 3: They want to be.
Speaker 1: They want to present as the most agreeable version of themselves, and that is just like so far from the truth. So like I think when you say I'm putting high maintenance on the profile to be contrary, it's the opposite. I think people do like spicy marks to be contrary, because like everyone loves a girl who loves spicy mrugs.
Speaker 3: Don't they Nope, No they don't.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope to Youurasha a new era.
Speaker 3: It's been great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get taken out, you go to nineties places, you have a good time.
Speaker 3: They pay.
Speaker 1: I look pretty amazing. We have great conversations about like philosophy. It's great.
Speaker 2: Damn O, can I need to get on that.
Speaker 3: See it's all judgment until you realize it's getting into yeses.
Speaker 4: This is flex and frooms on da.
Speaker 1: I don't think I would describe myself to have an addictive personality. I do think I have like a very full on personality, but addictive is not one of those things. Recently, though, I figured out what my addiction is. We all have a few vices. You know what mine is?
Speaker 3: What lip?
Speaker 1: The things I've done, The length I have gone through to put lip balm on my mouth is second two junkie status. I remember one time I was sitting in gold class. The moybe had just started. I was fishing around in my pockets. I was like, my lips stram lipstram ut, fishing around, can't find my lip barm.
Speaker 3: I'm like God and I have a lip. Know what I did? I walked out of the cinema.
Speaker 1: I was on George Street in Sydney, walked out, went to the local convenience store. Didn't have any of the good stuff. Got an uber, What ordered an uber? And I was like, I have to get down to Broadway to quickly get some lip barm because I cannot have a dry lip.
Speaker 3: Thank goodness chemists warehouse across the way. It hooked me up. But that to me, At.
Speaker 1: No point did I think I'm doing too much, because all I could think about is that my lips are dry right now, and if my lips are dry, I cannot think. I cannot concentrate, I cannot focus. I need to deal with it now. I was thinking about how, for the longest ti I've been using this brand of lip balm, some other formulas change and it is drying my lips out, and I'm not.
Speaker 3: Sure if this could be.
Speaker 1: Like it's been a weather shift, so it's colder, I'm getting more wind chill, but the formula doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Then I started doing some research.
Speaker 3: I was like what, because I had heard it the grape vine that lip balm is a scam.
Speaker 1: Basically, as the saying goes, a lot of ingredients in traditional lip balm aren't made for long term hydration or moisture.
Speaker 3: They just put a.
Speaker 1: Coat of something on your lips to guard you against the you know what do you call the things in the air, No, the stuff, the wind, the elements, to guard you against the elements. But it's not actually putting in moisture, putting in hydration. It's just creating a layer between you and the air, which means that once you lick that layer off, you're back to square one.
Speaker 3: So I've been trying to do this exposure therapy or a bit less lip balm. It's not working. The hair I'm struggling.
Speaker 1: No, that is not hectic, and so I'm thinking lip balm might just actually be a placebo. And a placibo is something you give someone that is to deal with like the psychological impacts, not like the physiological imp So physiologically, if I wanted my lips to feel more hydrated, I would use a more hydrating product.
Speaker 3: I drink more water and just I keep reapplying lipp on.
Speaker 2: Bandaid is shitked that movie story is crazy.
Speaker 3: I would have the problem.
Speaker 2: We never picked you to do anything that wild, that is giving obsessive Yes, water vibe hectic leaving a movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, well, we're here now. I cannot sit through this with a dry lips. Wasn't gonna happen.
Speaker 2: It's crazy that you're okay.
Speaker 1: Maybe that is one thing about my personality. I'm a big fix it now. I would much rather just go fix it miss twenty minutes of the movie than go into this obsessive spiral about like, but I could have and I should have, and if i'd gone twenty minutes ago and so on and so forth, and then we'll just fix it now.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the absolute highest level of ascension in that scenario. You know what it is, think and then stop thinking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is so hard, but you can do it. I could try.
Speaker 2: Maybe not that time. Maybe you just did another strength at time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is fair. How cool is that? Wow?
Speaker 2: I love learning about things where you struggle. It's kind of true.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Flex and Frooms on KADA.
Speaker 1: Just a few days ago, we waddled ourselves to the Kudos Bank Arena do interview none other than the kid Laury, and let me explain to you just what that was like. We did not take the front entrance, no VIPs take the stage door, entrance, backdoor. Okay, so many layers of security. It was very very intense, masks on for safety. We were led backstage, we saw a few of his like security team, and then we interviewed him from a very small room that we transformed into the studio.
Speaker 5: Space hot.
Speaker 2: It was three yeah, as the best interviews always are.
Speaker 1: But most of all, it felt really exclusive and special because we weren't just chatting with him on some random day for some random time. It was the first time he was back in Australia for three years, and it was his second Sydney show in that time, and we spoke to him me hours before he was on stage.
Speaker 3: Was so intimate, it.
Speaker 2: Was really lovely. We even got a selfie with him, which was iconic. Anyway, first thing I asked him, how long have you been in Australia flax and for a couple of days ago. Hell yeah.
Speaker 5: What was it like being back?
Speaker 6: Oh dude, it was crazy. I think when I touched down it was like, oh, okay, I'm here. Then going past like you know, I mean, being in the city was like all right, like I'm here, But then going out like Waterloo.
Speaker 1: Newtown, get down, Cleveland Street like a second, a second.
Speaker 6: Sitting everything that's surreal, like you're seeing seeing all the streets again, all the street signs of wild.
Speaker 7: Where's the first place that you went to eat?
Speaker 5: Ooh? Those plays that.
Speaker 6: I wanted to eat was actually butter the Chicken say yes, yeah, I was like, I was going to go to the grounds when I was just hungry, want some chicken.
Speaker 7: It's an institution.
Speaker 5: Round the corner.
Speaker 7: They're going to love that. And then you brought your partner Katerina?
Speaker 5: Is that right?
Speaker 7: And this is the first time in Australia did she come to Waterloo? She did?
Speaker 8: What did you think she loved it?
Speaker 9: She?
Speaker 8: I mean it was it was good for her, I think to come.
Speaker 6: So I tell her a whole bunch of stories and stuff like that, and I just think putting like, you know, places to stories and.
Speaker 8: Faces to names, you know, I think all that was really cool and cool for her to see. It was cool for me for her to see it at least, you know.
Speaker 2: So yeah, because you totally I feel like when someone that you love comes with you somewhere, you see it through their eyes.
Speaker 8: And yeah, it was good. It was really good.
Speaker 5: I love it. Has She been surprised by anything. I'm always really intrigued wh people come to Australia for the first time, Like what are you seeing?
Speaker 6: Yeah she I mean I think she thought it was going to look look a little differently, like you know, it was like like city buildings and rain.
Speaker 5: Where not.
Speaker 6: So that was I think I was a bresciate. She was like, oh, this kind of looks like Europe a little bit.
Speaker 5: And I was like part of I know, like she's that Prague. Oh my god.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And what do you reckon Because you've been in LA for three years?
Speaker 7: What did you miss the most about Australia?
Speaker 8: What did I miss? I mean the food? You know, the food I mean in America, you know that stuff tastes like a little oh little ify.
Speaker 6: Like like plastic process Yeah, very very processed. So over here it is good to come back and get something that tasted really lovely.
Speaker 5: It's very BPA infused foods like classic it was.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they don't have like really many health regulations and stuff like that. Well from what I hear, at least, you know, like you go into a restaurant and oftentimes I'll have out the front like you could like these the products in this food could cause cancer.
Speaker 5: Just like, really, I'm dying at your own reason?
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah I would having to worry about that.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Yeah, love that because you lived in La right.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Did you ever go to Arawon Arawon? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, the most expensive grocery store ever of all time?
Speaker 8: Yeah, for no reason.
Speaker 1: We let a quick game. We know that you don't have a lot of time with us. Want to use it wisely? Or flop? Have you heard of the concept? Very simple? I'm going to say something. I'm going to ask you whether it's a bop or a flop.
Speaker 5: You say bop or flop and describe why. Okay, era bop le flop.
Speaker 8: I mean it's a little bit of both.
Speaker 6: I mean bob because it's good, flop because the prices are just unnecessary.
Speaker 8: And so yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: It's giving.
Speaker 1: All right heartbreak bubble flop why?
Speaker 8: I mean because it so good?
Speaker 5: Content feels terrible, not allergies.
Speaker 8: Allergies flop like like that? Why would that ever be a bar?
Speaker 5: I just want to know where your heads at.
Speaker 4: That's terrible.
Speaker 5: Coachella? Yeah, for what reason? It's just sick schoolies?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Okay, go on, did you have school.
Speaker 5: You won't missing out? Why is it? Why is it? A Bob?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 8: Kids have fun over there? Actually right, yeah, I always sad kids have fun.
Speaker 2: I think they're chain you up rabbits, Bob major b it's it looks very fresh than you have you Okay, Bob Russell Croke because does he own the rabbit?
Speaker 1: You just bopped Russell crost the non consentual.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, we can.
Speaker 1: Done one less controversial one Crocs bopper flop.
Speaker 8: I would say, but I love cross.
Speaker 7: We love it A bit of it. Sounds like you really do.
Speaker 3: Loves I wasn't.
Speaker 8: No, I know I do.
Speaker 5: I do love Crocs were selfies?
Speaker 7: Okay, point five camera.
Speaker 5: That's a capital B.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, that's an extreme bo.
Speaker 5: Okay, what's our last one? Okay? One for.
Speaker 7: Bob?
Speaker 5: Okay wagging school.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Bob, I did that. Well, no flop because you shouldn't do that. Because I did that, Uni, you shouldn't.
Speaker 5: Do it is Uni bopple flop.
Speaker 6: Where we are depends what It depends what you want to do in life. I think I don't think it's a barber A flop.
Speaker 8: I think it depends.
Speaker 5: That's a diplomatic King right.
Speaker 2: A big one that I I really want to know is we checked out your McDonald's meal.
Speaker 7: I haven't had it yet, but.
Speaker 2: We are avid McDonald's fans. We talk about it every single day on our show. I saw that there's no source for the nuggets. There is, there is, there is barbecue. It's barbecue.
Speaker 8: Yeah, quite an outrage amongst my friends.
Speaker 5: And how and barbecue is what you'd love, like in your heart of hearts.
Speaker 1: That's what you're going with every meal.
Speaker 6: I like, no, I like, I like tomato, sauce and a lot of stuff. But if it was out of barbecue and sweetens Hower you.
Speaker 1: So controversial, Well, that's all the time we have. Thank you so much for blessing us. Have the best time tonight.
Speaker 2: We'll see you when we see you amazing, Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: This is Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: I'm going to tell you about a little relationship dilemma. This is our segment where people send in their relationship issues. We're going to talk about them, and then we're going to give them a song to try and make them feel better because music can really like change your life, which we're going to also talk about later in the show. Essentially, This is from a woman and she writes to us, I sprained my ankle last week because my boyfriend pranked me when I came home from work. He popped out of the closet with a Mike Myers style mask on with a rubbing nights Michael Meyers. Pardon me, not Shrek Mike Myers, but the Michael Myers. Where is Michael Myers from Freddie and Jason. I think we was going to tell us Nightmare on Elm Street. Yeah, it's Nightmare on Elm Street. Anyway, he jumped out and I fell and sprained my ankles as he chased me down the stairs. He laughed afterwards. Fast forward to present day and he refuses to apologize to me. What do I do? We've been together since January of this year. Yep, it's not looking good.
Speaker 1: The thing I hate about prank coltures you have to pick your audience everybody you can do prank prank on and it's gonna be well received.
Speaker 3: I hate your.
Speaker 1: Boyfriend of the jump because number one, like I hate being scared for somebody else's gag, because like, your body can't process trauma very quickly, and so now you develop all this like physiological stuff. Your cortisol levels are rising, you can't sleep properly, you get nightmares. Or because someone want a cheap laugh, make it worthwhile? What's a really beautifully produced horror movie. Don't do gags with silly masks. The fact that he won't apologize. I hate it and it's been five months. Just break up, Just break up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean a sprain donkle hurts a lot, hurts more. But there is something to be said about seeing someone fall downstairs.
Speaker 1: It's pretty funny, no, See, I don't like seeing people fall down really, yeah, because like they.
Speaker 3: Hit their head, they break things. I don't like that.
Speaker 2: Sometimes the style of falling is hilarious, Like some people just have a funny.
Speaker 3: Way of falling.
Speaker 2: Never really, I feel like I have so many instances in my childhood where like I fell or like was swimming and hit the side of the pool and my parents like pissing themselves, and that it is actually quite scarring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if I was to leave this room and to see someone fall down, I would feel so bad for them because it's not just the physical pain, it's the psychological embarrassment that you can't recover from.
Speaker 3: It is a very.
Speaker 1: Embarrassing thing to do. Also, these love lines are getting more and more nonsensical because it all goes back to the original point. If you have to message in to too strangers to ask us if you could do something, if you should do something for your very unique situation, you already know what you should do. Just break up. Let me tell you the world is ending. And even if it's not. Can you imagine in thirty years time, if like recalling the moment where you were like, my boyfriend played a prank on me and I fell down the stairs and broke my ankle. Should I break up with him? No matter the answer, just do it. Do something, Make a decision. This default to other people to decision make I think it's so bizarre.
Speaker 2: Well, the segment's not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Oh I love the segment, but it all comes back to the same point. Make a choice.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast. For more, tune Inticata on DAB or check it out right here on iHeartRadio.