Speaker 1: I'd like to acknowledge the traditional owners on which this episode is being recorded, the combo marry people. We pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Today I'm your host, Georgie Stevenson, and this is the Rise and Conquer Podcast. This is the podcast where we have mindset, self development and becoming your higher self mix soon with a lot of laughs, plus behind the scenes of my life running two businesses and being among Think of us as the perfect combo of brunch with your besties mixed with self development. No matter where you are in your journey, we're here to help you be curious, pull yourself out, and embrace radical self awareness.
Speaker 2: If you're ready to get into the.
Speaker 1: Driver's seat of your own life and stop letting life pass you by, then.
Speaker 2: You're in the right place.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, and welcome back to the Potty, Happy Friday and Happy Women's History Month a tea, Happy Women's History Month. We are so excited for this special episode for you today. It is part one of our four part Her Story series and we'll be talking about the Queen's Serena and Venus Williams.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited. I love them and in such a good episode. It's just so Saol produces, it organizes the whole thing. This was an amazing episode. No, I definitely a Tia.
Speaker 1: I want to give you a shout out and say such incredible work. Thank you researching and putting this series together. It has been it's so it has been epic to see you really like hone in on your Zoner genius and bring this to the podcast.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I hope everyone likes it so we can do more.
Speaker 2: She's like, please get those listeners, guys.
Speaker 1: So in each episode, we are sharing the stories of iconic women who have made history or who we feel are currently making history. So these women are trailblazers in their chosen careers and they're doing things differently, which you guys know we absolutely love. We then unpack certain aspects and values that they model in everything they do, and then we have discussion of how we can use this as an expander in our own lives.
Speaker 2: So what we.
Speaker 1: Really want you to start thinking about throughout this series is what legacy or impact are you leaving? Could you do things differently? Could you think outside the box. How can you push yourself out of your comfort zone and grow?
Speaker 3: But before we get into it, what's your weekly recommendation, Georgie, Well, kind of.
Speaker 2: Just piguring back.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well, actually kind of that's a great segue of what I just said of my recommendation to you guys this week is thinking how much of your life is just a comfort zone and where you are actually seeking discomfort to stretch and grow yourself towards.
Speaker 2: Where you want to go.
Speaker 1: Oh and this is actually one of my March intentions. I did a really about this on Instagram, because like, if we really look at our life, most of the things we do is routine and comfort.
Speaker 2: And it's normal. We are human.
Speaker 1: And I just had in our home home the other day where I was like, oh, I think I have been sinking, you know, comfort lately, and I really want to like step outside my comfort zone because I know that's where the magic happens. So I'm doing that within you know, the businesses, but also personally, which I've never really done or been like interested in. So for example, the weekend that just went, me and Tim went to house in house in Cabareta and I randomly I was very spontaneous to here, and I'm never spontaneous.
Speaker 2: I booked in horse riding. Oh I love that, and it was like I've.
Speaker 1: Never been horse riding something out of my comfort zone and just got like kind of, you know, a bit roke.
Speaker 3: So fun though, and it was so.
Speaker 1: Fun and I felt really like present and in the moment, and I'm not gonna lie, Like before we went, I was like a little bit nervous and I was like, Oh, I don't know how this is gonna go. And then we went and it was awesome. But I'm yeah, I've just been really thinking about this like theme in my life of like where I actually just choose the most comfortable thing.
Speaker 2: And how I can maybe share that. I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about you? What's your weekly rack?
Speaker 3: So this sound was damn to us on Instagram and I loved it and I'm obsessed with it. So I'm recommending So Weird a Real Sound because it's literally just a real It's a song that that is coming out next Friday. But I just feel like people need to listen to it. Now, what do you mean it's coming out next Friday. It's gonna be released next Friday. The full song.
Speaker 2: Oh what's the artist? Morgan Saint Jean.
Speaker 3: Okay, play it. Yeah, you're gonna love it.
Speaker 2: You want lucky girl syndrome.
Speaker 4: You have to listen to this. I tried you. It's a fine.
Speaker 2: How good is it?
Speaker 3: Oh my god?
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I just it's got forty four point four KX right now.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, send it to me over. I did yesterday. Sorry, I saw it was you and I ignored it. I did them. I'm not in my DMS. Got a texted yeah I know. Oh my god. I love that me too.
Speaker 3: So that's my recommendation. She's literally at Morgan Saint Gene on Instagram. So go listen to it till next Friday.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much to here.
Speaker 1: Also men Tea both one, Harry Styles, Yes, so we can't.
Speaker 2: That's not really a recommendation. That's just like a small flex. You guys should listen to its music. It's great. Jamie doesn't like him, but we do.
Speaker 3: Actually, I do have like a bit more tangible recommend Nation two Drive to Survive season five on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Oh you're still going good?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So good is a little fun and still in it? Yeah, of course the winner. Well, I'm just gonna put in a Netflix out of Bank. Season three is out. Oh wait, did I say this already?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: You told me postally. I was like, I feel like, guys, it's.
Speaker 1: Really hard to know what I've told you and then what I've told a Tia. It just merges into one. I literally had to be like, did I already recommend the no Froe thing? Because I can't remember I told you all the podcasts.
Speaker 2: It's like same people I am our only.
Speaker 1: That's what it feels like. Sometimes we're just like talking to no one. Anyway, guys, that's enough of that. Let's get into this very special episode. You guys are gonna love it.
Speaker 3: So today we're going to be talking about Venus and Serena Williams.
Speaker 2: I'm obsessed with them, me too. I love them so much. I'm so excited for this series, me too. Let'stal it it to YOUA.
Speaker 3: I thought I would start by telling you a little bit about them, and then we can also chat at the end about what we love about their stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's their story is just so incredible. It's next level, all right, get straight into it.
Speaker 3: So, Venus and Serena are the youngest of five siblings before they were born. It is said that their dad actually decided that they were going to be famous tennis players. And there's a rumor that he wrote like a seventy eight page plan of how he was going to get them to be professional tennis players, which I love.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, does anyone have like a copy of them? I mean it as I say, can we use it?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: I would love to know. I knew you probably don't have this answer, but like, why tennis?
Speaker 3: So he actually saw, just before they were born, or before Venus was born, a tennis player, I don't remember her name exactly get a forty thousand dollar check, and because they weren't well off, when she won that money, he was like, we're going to have two more kids and they're going to be tennis players.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. It's like me watching legally Blonde.
Speaker 1: Yeah and being like, what I could be smart and fabulous?
Speaker 2: What do you mean so good?
Speaker 3: So he actually started coaching four year old Venus on a court in Compton, Los Angeles, but tried to convince her to quit tennis when she was about eight years old because of how he saw junior tennis parents were treating their kids. He wasn't really happy because it was a bit toxic, a lot of pressure on the kids, and Venus refused to leave tennis and instead quit track, which was another sport she was pursuing at the time, even though she was really good at it, because she wanted to focus on tennis. Yeah. Love. So both girls grew up in the suburbs of in California, which, for those of you who don't know, it's actually considered to be an area of high poverty, so a very low socio economic status in the States. Their early playing careers evolved while competing on public courts in the housing projects. Although this was an area that was full of violence, gangs, and high rates of homicides, they prevailed to become two of the elite tennis players in the world, which we know. So in nineteen ninety one, Richard uprooted his family to enroll both Venus and Serena in Rick Mackey's Delray Beach Tennis Academy in Florida, where they trained six hours a day, six days a week for four years. Rick was very well respected and established tennis professional, so it was a massive deal that they had that opportunity. So it was also in nineteen ninety one that Richard made the decision to withdraw the girls from all junior tennis tournaments, which was very, very criticized because that's not really what was done or the conventional path to being a tennis professional.
Speaker 2: And what was his reasoning.
Speaker 3: So his reasoning was because it was a lot of there was a lot of racial hostility, is what he said, towards them from the other players, and he didn't like the pressure it was putting on the girls. When their coach was asked why he let that happen in an interview with The New York Times, he said putting Venus and Serena in a traditional development system would be like putting her in prison, which I thought was a very interesting quote. So in nineteen ninety four, so three years later, at the age of fourteen, Venus made her debut as a professional tennis player, which was very very young to be doing that, and the night before her first game, she was approached by Nike and offered a three million dollar endorsement deal. Now we're going to play a snippet of this scene happening from the movie King Richard. Keep in mind this movie is not an exact accurate account of events, but it was executive produced by Venus and Serena, so we do know that things like this did happen.
Speaker 5: That is three million dollars signature shoe signature lying. We want to build our women's brand around Venus Maker Marque Player. How's that sound?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 7: I think uh we actually you need to be pitching.
Speaker 5: Huh well, Venus, what do you think I mean that? That is a generous deal. It's a million more than Kapriotti got before she went pro, plus a real commitment to invest in the charity and outreach programs you and your family support. We think you're going to have a tremendous career and we want to help you build it starting today.
Speaker 6: It's yeah, maybe maybe maybe just have a minute, you know, just let the family absolutely no problems.
Speaker 5: Just just just to be clear, this deal is for tonight only. It's it's off the tablets. You just step on that court tomorrow than you talk about it.
Speaker 2: We'll just we'll just take a seat.
Speaker 6: You know, there's a heck of a seafood buffet. Okay, at level right, you don't want to hit one or two a lot of people.
Speaker 5: Just fix your face to the man, get out the door.
Speaker 2: What does he mean by.
Speaker 5: Let the man get out the door?
Speaker 6: Face?
Speaker 1: I want to know what he means.
Speaker 8: We're going to talk.
Speaker 7: About it when the man just let me get out the doll What is going on?
Speaker 2: What did he mean by it's one night only tonight only?
Speaker 7: Only worry about that?
Speaker 6: That's right, He's trying scarce and guess what, I'm scared.
Speaker 2: I'm freaking. I'm freaking terrified, guys.
Speaker 6: What what is going on? Three million dollars? What's the problem here?
Speaker 5: Rick?
Speaker 2: Let me see.
Speaker 7: They haven't even seen a girl play yet. Yeah, you know that.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's the point.
Speaker 2: They don't have to.
Speaker 7: Richard.
Speaker 2: You did it?
Speaker 4: Hey, you did it?
Speaker 7: Richard.
Speaker 5: Look I thought you were nuts.
Speaker 6: They're talking and the interviews and the nonsense, but look.
Speaker 7: You were right. She's a star.
Speaker 2: Look at what we won?
Speaker 5: This is it?
Speaker 2: Why is everybody so glum?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 6: Guys or seeing Please?
Speaker 5: Can you help me out here?
Speaker 2: You need to be talking to venus.
Speaker 4: V.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 2: I just want to show them what I can do. Okay, I understand it's a.
Speaker 6: Good offer, but this is not a good offer. This is an unbelievable offer. Guys. This is money that changes your lives, that changes your family's lives.
Speaker 7: What do we rick you asking this girl take all the hard way she's undere for the last to stop to me all the hard way she's undeal for the last ten years and accept the face offer to come through the door. You know that's not right, Richard.
Speaker 2: The draw is not even out yet.
Speaker 7: We don't know the girl is asking for an opportunity to compete.
Speaker 1: We don't even you know who she's playing.
Speaker 7: She don't care nothing about that. Venus Williams, do you care who you play? No, daddy, Venus Williams. Are you gonna beat whoever on the other side of that net?
Speaker 5: Yesdy Venus Williams.
Speaker 7: Do you want take this deal?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 7: Well deady is We're not taking deal.
Speaker 1: Let's go get some ny. Let's just put this in perspective. So she's fourteen, she's fourteen years fourteen, and she gets a three million dollar contract from Nike before she's even competed.
Speaker 3: Yes, and so the the condition of that was, like that offer expired that night. She had to accept that offer before she walked onto the court. Was getting an offer like that like unheard of? It was unheard of because it was the highest of junior had ever been offered at that point in time.
Speaker 4: Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then was it like a certain amount of years or something with Nike, Like was it a long contract?
Speaker 3: I think it was just a short contract. But the plus in getting off before the first game is that even if you lose, you have that money.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Whereas otherwise to then get endorsement deals after she'd played her first match, she would have had to have done a really really good job.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that she would have had then so much pressure to perform yeaheah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So she turned it down.
Speaker 3: She turned it down, and her coach and their lawyer were devastated. They were like, you've made a massive mistake. You should have taken the contract. We don't know what's going to happen tomorrow. Because I think they also thought she's fourteen, Like she's playing against women that are twice her age.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah, I hadn't thought of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So even if she didn't win, the fact she was there was a massive achievement. And in their heads they were like, let's just take the three million because we put so much money into getting here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 3: So after that, so the next day she had a professional debut against a player that was ranked fifty ninth in the world at the time, and she won that match. And then she played I apologized for my pronunciation of this name, a Ranster Sanchez Vicario, who was ranked second in the world at the time, and Venus gave her a run for her money. She started the game off winning, but then Vicario requested a bathroom break in the middle of the game, and that's Venus psyched herself out when I have heard about.
Speaker 2: This, Oh oh, I remember watching this in the movie. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So she was going so well and even now Venus is reflected on that as the game she should have.
Speaker 2: Won one hundred Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so after that bathroom break, she didn't score another point and actually ended up losing the game, but still amazing because she was ranked second in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And seven months later, Rebok signed a five year contract with Venus for a reported twelve million dollars. So she was fourteen years old signing a five year endoors name with Rainfow for twelve million dollars, which is just insane, and that was also unheard of for a newcomer to the sport. Couple of years later, Serena had her professional debut, also at the age of fourteen, and as the world got to see and know how good Venus was, the media's version of the sisters really put Serena as a lesser player when she started off. They said she's not as good as Venus.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So in an interview with Harper's Bizarre in February of twenty twenty two, Venus actually said, usually in one family, there's one good player and then the other one is not that great. And I think people told Serena she wouldn't be great. The fearlessness with which she approached the game was something I've always really admired. She doesn't accept. Second, she explicitly told me herself that she plays for first place.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I got full body shivers.
Speaker 3: It's amazing and it's no secret that these women have gone on to break records, but I thought i'd just rattle off a future really show the magnitude of their achievements. So both sisters have been ranked number one in singles tennis, Venus for a total of eleven weeks beginning in February two thousand and two, Serena for a total of three hundred and sixteen weeks beginning in July two thousand and two. Venus has won forty nine singles titles over the course of her career, and Serena has won seventy three. The Williams sisters are the only two women during the Open era to contest four consecutive major finals, from the two thousand and two French Open to the two thousand and three Australian Open. Serena won all four of these finals. The sisters are nonetheless personally very close. They've won twenty two titles when playing doubles together, including fourteen majors and three Olympic gold medals. I just I can't even comprehend.
Speaker 2: It's so so much, so incredible and what a team.
Speaker 3: I know, and I love that they have never let it ruin their relationship. Their relationship is still very strong. Yeah, So to end, I thought I would give a little fun fact tell us the all Williams final at the two thousand and one US Open drew a larger television audience than the Notre Dame Nebraska college football game being broadcast at the same time. So college football in the state is a really big thing. So for two female sports players to draw a bigger audience than the all male college football teams. Was a massive deal, and in fact, is part of the reason that the women's final at the US Open was moved to its primetime spot because of the positive effect that the Williams Sisters had on television ratings. CBS's four highest rated US Open women's finals of the last decade all involved the Williams sisters.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I even like reflecting right now. I am personally you know, I'm not a sport person. No, neither am I Tim is a sport person or kind of.
Speaker 2: I'm not a sport person.
Speaker 1: And I wouldn't really know any other tennis stars except the Williams sisters. I know, even and be interested in their story absolutely, and be inspired.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: I love them so much, and I think just it's so clear from their life how hard they've worked to get where they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let's actually let's unpack their story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, I.
Speaker 1: Think like the biggest theme from the Williams sisters is their determination and grit. Yes, for sure, because I like, we've both seen the movie. Loved the movie. Shout out to King Richard. It's amazing. Go and watch it. I just I remember watching that and then knowing that, you know, they had had a big help in the film, so knowing it was mostly you know, real events. Yeah, and seeing them, you know, play in the rain, and just like continue and continue and continue, and just thinking like, if you do want to do something, you can you just have to be willing to put in that like effort and work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and put in which is kind of controversial.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even saying that, just then I'm like, oh, I feel like people are gonna come.
Speaker 2: At me, watch your thoughts.
Speaker 3: I totally agree. Like for me, the ten thousand hours theory comes to mind.
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 1: So, like, I know what it is, explain it to the audience.
Speaker 3: So the ten thousand hours theory is basically this concept that if you do ten thousand hours of any activity, you will be at an expert level.
Speaker 2: And I talied it.
Speaker 3: And the four hours, the six hours a day for six weeks for four years, that actually adds up to about seven five hundred hours. And that was just with their coach, so yeah, not even before, not even before when they were going with their dad to the court every day. And I think it's also that concept of it's.
Speaker 2: Not always going to be.
Speaker 3: So easy, and you're not always going to have the motivation to do the thing, but you have to do it and remember your why, and it's not always going to be like glamorous.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think people get rose colored glasses when you see super successful people who've done these amazing things, and it's so easy to like look at their life and go, oh, they were probably rich, like they're in tennis, they're probably rich. They're probably super wealthy because at the time when they were going into tennis, it was very much like an elite. You had to be wealthy, you had to be white sport, so they had to have been rich, rich, rich rich black people to be able to get in there. But that's not the case. And it's just almost that reality check of like who you don't have excuses.
Speaker 1: It's actually reminding me. I have this like fun story. I don't know if I've told on the podcast before, but I remember having this realization in maybe grade eleven when I did decide I want to do law, and I didn't really feel you know, the typical quote unquote smart. Yeah, I think you know, my grades at that stage were like c's and b's, Like I would you know, a normal student. And I remember having this realization and saying, I wonder what would happen if I applied myself to my max effort. And I remember literally sitting down as like you know, a fifteen year old and thinking, okay, what could I do to get smarter? And I used to do things like as soon as the teacher would give us the assign because you usually had a good couple of weeks. And I remember, you know, I went to a state school, so everyone started like, come on before, Oh my gosh, she gives me exciting and I remember thinking, okay, what do I actually because my whole thing was in order for me to get into law, I needed to basically get a's across the boat of all my subjects, and so I would first of all get the assessment. I would plot in, you know, the dates of I had this big thing about drafts, so I used to get two to three drafts.
Speaker 2: To my teacher to look over to refine. Wow, because I.
Speaker 1: Thought, like, surely me handing in half a draft, and so a big thing I would PLoP in the dates of when I'm giving my teacher the drafts because I knew I had to get two to three in order to get an A, because that's just what I personally had to do. Yeah, And then I would go to the library and I'd hire out all the books about that subject, or if it wasn't in the school library because my school library had fucking notebooks, I would go to my local library, yeah, and hire out the books. And I would literally hire every single one, and I would love sit in the library for ages, get them all, and then I would start my assignment. And yeah, I would be that annoying student who would like, at lunchtime, knock on my teachers.
Speaker 2: Oh, your teachers, Yeah.
Speaker 1: My teachers, like I don't know what was it called, like staff, Yeah, the staff room.
Speaker 2: And being like could you look over this and give me some point as blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: And I remember them even being like I could just tell they were so annoyed by me. But I do you mean like I was so determined. No, I'm getting an A in this and I know things don't come to me as naturally as you know, some other children.
Speaker 2: So this is just what I have to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I remember having those thoughts when I was, you know, fifteen and sixteen, and then because I then did that and applied myself so much and did get an op that I could, you know, get into law. Then my brain went, oh, okay, that's just what we have to do. Yeah, And so I love in their story that it was like, no, I'm not saying I'm like the Williams sisters the resonate, you know, like it's like they literally just trained day in day out, like.
Speaker 2: That huge grit is. It's such.
Speaker 1: It's such a thing like if you don't know something or if you're not good at it, didn't you say Ed Sheeran?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Ed Schune did the ten thousand Hours. So he was not a great singer.
Speaker 1: I just don't believe that, I know, right, And Ed Sheeron is an angel.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love you, Ed, And if you're listening, come seeing to us.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So he wasn't a good singer, and he just practiced and practiced and practiced and he got good. And Sun actually spoke about the ten thousand hours theory in an interview a few years ago, and I want to share a snippet of that here.
Speaker 8: Have you ever heard of this theory about the ten thousand hours theory? So that theory works right. So when I first started out, I saw Damien Rice in concert and I mention it in a song. I was said, I won't stop till my names in lights Stadium, Heights with Damien Rice, and literally like I watched him and was like, I want to do that. One day and wrote a million songs, did a million gigs and of ended up kind of doing a similar thing. But it literally came from writing a song a day, or two songs a day, or five songs a day, and just getting all these songs out of me, doing a million gigs, sometimes three gigs a day. We did six gigs a day one year at Glastonbury. But I think you view it as a dirty tap. When you switch a dirty tap on, it's going to flow shit water out for a substantial amount of time, and then clean water's going to start flowing and now and then you'll get a bit of shit. But as long as it gets out of you, it's fine. So with songs, you're gonna write shit songs at the beginning, you are. My songs were terrible, my rahps, like I've listened to it the other day. It's awful, But I got it out of me, And the more and more you write, the more and more you experience, and then you start flowing clean water and songs start getting better and better and better. And when you just you're on a good streak, you're writing good songs now, and then you're gonna write a shit song and that song it's out of you and you can move on. And it's the same with gigs, like you will always play bad gigs at the beginning. That's what you need to do. And then the more gigs you do, the better you'll get now, and then you'll have a shit gig. But that's all right because you've got it out of you and you've experienced it. So I just say, the more and more you can do, put in your ten thousand hours, and.
Speaker 3: I think it's just a testament to natural talent will only get you so far. Yes, and sometimes it's better if you don't have the natural talent because you start working harder earlier, and that just becomes like you said, how it is, it's the habit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you almost have that activation of oh fuck, I don't have the natural talent, so I've got to put in the effort. But that almost can be well, it will be get you there. Faster and be the thing that is your you know, determination and the reason why you then go achieve the things.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent.
Speaker 1: I love that and that seemed interesting. Guys, like, have a think about where in your life are you telling yourself you're not really good at something? Yeah, but you actually have put not a lot of time and effort into excelling that skill, even though you would want to.
Speaker 3: And I feel like you can only say you're not good at something if you've done ten thousand hours of it and you're still but you won't be, and then I'll believe you and then we'll say okay.
Speaker 1: But that's even like, you know, people ask in regards to me and Cooper starting naked Harbret, but how did you know how to start a business? And it's like I remember listening to probably thousands of hours of business podcasts, yeah, because I was like, well, I don't fucking know, so I've got to find out, Yeah, exactly, and just like literally stuff on Rich repeat and like listening to little tips and tricks and going, well, I don't know how to do this thing, so I'm just going to fill my mind with it. So true, and what would your sort of tip be to to get a handle of being a bit more gritty in life, because I feel like at the moment there's almost a stigma around. Obviously people need to look after themselves and not hustle all the time, but there's almost this flip where people just don't.
Speaker 2: Want to work hard anymore. I don't want to do we a week in Kabet. I don't need to work. You just need to work. Oh my god, I hate us, do you know what I mean? Though I know, and that's what I'm saying. This is I feel like this almost is like a.
Speaker 1: Taboo topic because I completely get that it's but that's the thing is, like, let's even play with this idea. Why does it have to be all or nothing? Why can there not be the duality of yes, I can work really hard and really care about this thing and then also find a balance within still having boundaries and serving myself. Like I feel that, I think like we're I feel like, especially if you're listening to this podcast, you're a conscious You're a conscious enough human to hold the duality of both and be able to listen to this podcast and not go, oh, they're just talking about, you know, toxic hustle.
Speaker 2: Culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, we're not talking about that. But also you know, it goes into how much we talk about seasons a tier, so true, like knowing when you're putting in the effort and having that priority and going no, I want that thing, and also knowing when to you know.
Speaker 2: Draw back. That's even like in the Williams Sisters.
Speaker 1: Story of I remember the part when like they wanted to enter competitions and their dad, you know, didn't Richard didn't let.
Speaker 2: Them, Yeah, the junior tournaments and he was like no.
Speaker 1: Like let's wait, we're still in a season of refining our skills.
Speaker 3: And I remember that like the coaches being like what they're fun? Yeah, like what is happening? This is not how it's done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's what I mean. I think it's allowed to look different for everyone.
Speaker 3: That's such a good point too. There isn't necessarily a set path, even though people tell you there is, yes, and it's like, you don't have to finish school and then do this and then do this and then do this if that's not what feels right to you. And especially what I noticed with the Williams sisters as well, is they were obviously the first ones or some of the first people to achieve what they did to get to the standard they were, and it's like there wasn't necessarily spot for them. And it's that resistance that you feel when you're trying to carve a new path, and it's like hiking. If you're not going on the path everyone else is gone. You're gonna have to cut some trees out of your way, but it's gonna be so good, and it also makes it easier for the next person. And just remembering that your journey won't look like everybody else's, it won't follow the same as everybody else's, and it's okay.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent, and like kind of going off that attia is like I love that. You know, quote unquote the Williams sisters didn't belong in tennis of how they were brought up, you know, like you're saying people who dependent tennis had a lot more money and all those different things, but it's like they still were so persistent and they're like, no, I'm doing this.
Speaker 3: Thing exactly, And it's almost like the persistence is what gets you there. Y, you just have to almost nag enough.
Speaker 1: Yes, It's like me with my teachers, Yeah, you just got to annoy them until they give you what you're I love it so much, but it is, it's so inspiring, and it's so true of people may even be listening to this episode and going like ten thousand hours, that's like, it's so ridiculous, it's so obsessive. Yeah, But for instance, like it's even this podcast, we're ordinary people doing extraordinary things. Yeah, And to do an extraordinary thing sometimes you need to do things that not other people are doing exactly. And so in this case it might look obsessive. But if you've got that vision and you're like, no, I'm going to do this extraordinary thing, be okay with people calling you obsessive, be okay with not feeling like you long, and be okay with like, I'm just gonna do the thing anyway, and trust that if I put in the effort, I will, you know, have the result.
Speaker 3: I totally agree. And something on that line that I've been thinking about a lot at the moment is the quote unquote goats of industries. When you listen to their stories, George, you didn't know what goat? So maybe I.
Speaker 2: Asked it's like, what is goat?
Speaker 3: So in case anyone else doesn't know goat is greatest of all time. So when you hear the stories of these ghoats, it just sounds of industries like like the Williams sisters or like Lewis Hamilton and Ed Sheeran, And you listen to the to their journey and the amount of hours they put in and potentially the way their parents maybe brought them up. It's very controversial and a lot of people will say, oh my gosh, I'd never do that to my kids. It's so toxic. You can't force them to do things like that.
Speaker 2: But like, look where they are now.
Speaker 1: This is so interesting that you say this because Tim literally says this thing where he gets annoyed. And Tim is very He's got a natural ability with sport. Yeah, like put Tim in any sport and he can do it. Like he's very what I'm jealous.
Speaker 2: Like coordinated.
Speaker 3: Yeah we're not.
Speaker 1: And he says all the time he wish his parents had put him because he used to do like just random sports all the time, Like he'd go from tennis to football to anything, just because he loved moving. But he didn't stick to one because he got bored. But he wished his parents were like more no, you're good at this.
Speaker 2: Let's stick with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Because he's like, like such a typical I cout a bit of pro he wished his parents almost forced him to do that because he already has the natural ability. He's like, imagine if I actually did the ten thousand hours, and he's like.
Speaker 2: I could do it.
Speaker 1: And it's so interesting because he's like, if i'm's good at a sport, we're fucking going hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She has no choice, no choice.
Speaker 1: So it is really interesting because it is like, do you want a normal life, yeah?
Speaker 2: Or do you want a quote unquote extraordinary life.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful and just like folding it back to what I was saying before, I feel like there is space for duality here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like there is space for you.
Speaker 1: To be listening and go, oh look, not for me, not interested, but maybe down the track something happens, or you know, maybe you were a child star and you're like it was pretty hectic and now I'm doing something different. But there is that duality and that beautiful balance of being passionate about something and having that determination and grit and going all in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and remembering it's not always gonna feel fun.
Speaker 1: Yes, Like, I think that's such a good point to tier of Like, imagine training six hours a day every day, hate it. How exhausted it would be physically and mentally mentally exhausted.
Speaker 3: Imagine like waking up and it's bucketing, and your dad's like, cool, let's go, and you're just like, are you Kiddy's rat movies?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I want to get some popcorn and watch some movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. My question is what sort of questions would you ask yourself before you decide to.
Speaker 2: Go all in on a goal?
Speaker 1: M Interesting, The biggest thing is having you know the clarity around that being your goal you want to go in like all in, and also like remembering you can always change your mind. Yeah, for sure, it's not set in stone. And I truly believe that's like me doing a six year law degree and then not being a lawyer.
Speaker 3: Like that's a lot of hours, probably ten thousands, probably getting close.
Speaker 2: Literally getting close if we include high school.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing is I would never regret that because it's so on my journey of who I am and I've developed so many skills for that. And also there was times where I was so passionate about that thing. It aabled me to be the person I am, so I think also realizing that it's like you can't fuck it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so true.
Speaker 3: I think I'd also ask myself how fulfilled I would feel if I went all in on that thing after I'd achieved it, and also if I'd be comfortable with the sacrifices I'd have to make to go all in on that thing, because you'd kind of be kidding yourself if you think that you wouldn't be making some sacrifices, like yes, you can have the duality and you can have it all, but there's still be a few things that fall away and really making sure that you're okay with that.
Speaker 1: I love that so much. That's a huge thing of like what are you going to you know, sacrifice, And I think that's even this is tying it back to a weird point of I remember when I was, you know, postpartum, and I got to like a year postpartum with IVY, and I like felt like crap physically, and I kind of just thought a year would go past and I would just feel like myself.
Speaker 2: And then I actually really looked at.
Speaker 1: My life and I was like, I still eat like crap. I still like I'm not putting in much effort into going to gym and making the sacrifices, and I'm still eating a lot of sugar.
Speaker 2: And like, I got really.
Speaker 1: Honest with myself because they're like, there was no sacrifices. I was doing the same things and wanting a different result.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is the definition of the sanity.
Speaker 1: And then so what was really beautiful of that is I got really honest and then I made some changes which are quote unquote sacrifices, like getting up an hour earlier, cutting out sugar, cutting out you know, certain foods for my thyroid condition, not for any other reason, and certain things. And I'm like, I'm feeling so much better physically. But it's so interesting because I was like, oh wow, I hadn't even thought about the sacrifice sacrifices. Yeah, and that's something now you look back, I'm like, thank god I sacrifice those things because I'm feeling.
Speaker 2: So much better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh I love.
Speaker 1: That's like a really random point. All right, So to finish a.
Speaker 3: Tear, Yeah, I think everyone should use their story, the Williams Sisters story as sort of food for thought when it comes to what you're leaving behind and the path you're carving out and if it benefits you in while you're here in this world existential I love it, and if it benefits people after you, and if that's a priority of yours, asking yourself, what is the legacy you're leaving behind for people or how do you want to leave people?
Speaker 1: And what are you like in your legacy? Like what are your values? What are you currently making a priority and do you want to change that?
Speaker 2: I love that. Just some thought provoking, some.
Speaker 3: Thought provoking questions, just some thought WOWO.
Speaker 1: Silly gals too, silly gals asking you some fun questions. It was so amazing hearing more about their story. You told it so beautiful a tea. Thank you so much for researching that and bringing that to us and guys, we hope this has got you thinking about your legacy, what you're leaving behind, what you're making a priority and enjoyed this episode because we love chatting to you about it. Thank you so much for listening to another episode of the Rise and Conquer Podcast. If you enjoyed it and want more, come connect with us on Instagram at Riseinconquer dot podcast and join our Facebook discussion group, a Rise and Concer podcast community. We're an independent podcast and we have a small team, so we do appreciate your time and support. If you have a spare moment, a follow or subscribe on whatever platform you listen to would be so amazing, And look, if you're feeling extra kind, a review on Apple Podcasts would be great.