Speaker 1: Now, look, I know it's been a while, but you've really let yourself go.
Speaker 2: Let me.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty we might be able to get visuals of this, but if I can give you a bit of a description of what Paul's wearing, I'm going to put it on. Yeah, he's got his creamy white arms out. He has well I want to say it's like the old school blue singlet slash wife beater, but it more looks like with those man tits, it looks like Donna's crop top. Literally have a nipple hanging out the side of your arm. I'm like, when did you get whoopy Goldberg tits?
Speaker 2: I do have an explanation. So firstly, you've got to driving a land cruise a seventies series, so obviously. But secondly, I actually had to have some surgery on my chest.
Speaker 1: So did you get light perception.
Speaker 2: Reast reduction about It's still fun though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trust me, from this point you've still got lots left our fine bags. Yeah right, okay, anyway, good break, good good times. Yeah, things were good. Things have had a good break went all round. Jesus bloody clocked up the Cays on the c barrow our back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you do some nice sort of hiking. And what else does siverery drivers do?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: We cut some stuff with scissors.
Speaker 1: My road trip, Missy Higgins got to run the.
Speaker 2: Playlist bet repeat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the rebeat and Sisters is good. I don't believe lack dancing. I know there's any or whatever.
Speaker 2: It's your economy been Like, I'm interested because my father and Laura told him to get an outpack and he got the non turbo. But I'm curious to know where you're sitting. They do a bit of towering and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting point you bring that up, because when I did the when I had the test the car, the fuel economy fuel economy was sitting in about ten liters per hundred k's. So this now, given I hadn't done really much highway driving before this road trip, so the first three thousand k's have been getting to work them back, which is about twelve k's. So I was averaging no shit like seventeen leaders per hundred k's and then yeah, and then when I was filling up, it was like it was saying I was getting I was getting. You know how it tells you how many CA's you'll get from a full tank. It was saying like two hundred and eighty, and then I think it was yeah, and then it rounded up to like maybe I think it got to about three point twenty at one point, and so I rang up my guy down there and actually I rang up super U and he's like, oh, yeah, do you have a bit of a lead foot. I'm like, mate, if I took this to fucking colder park, I couldn't get up to seventeen liters.
Speaker 3: So that's true, Yeah, that's true, or yeah, you should bring it in. I was like, oh fuck, I can't be fucked. I cannot be fucked bring in this car. And I don't have the time this time of the year. I thought to myself, I'm planning this road trip. I'm doing a lot of k's in it. Hopefully it's going to go down by then anyway, and you know, you do the kind of reset on it and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I managed to get it down to about after a lot of highway driving, about eight liters.
Speaker 2: I think's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Well, it was still like eight point something, let's say eight point five, right, I've been back for like a week or two, and it's crept up to about ten something, but it doesn't seem right because at first I thought I reckon, they'd calibrated it wrong. Almost. I was like, it's almost like this thing's doing it in miles instead of kilometers. It was so weird, but it was yeah, it was shitouse, it was shocking. They were just like, yeah, bring it in, bring it in. Actually, you know, one thing did happen to me. I was out in a place called crowdy Head. I bet it was yeah, and head is not that great in Crowdy Head, I can tell you right now. But so, it was a reasonably hot day. It was like thirty degrees and I unlocked the car. The electronics sort of unlocked it and stuff, so it sort of let me in, but the car wouldn't start, and I was like, what the what the fuck? And it wouldn't start, and so after I was just like, this isn't happening at all. So I took the secret emergency key thing out of the clip, I unlocked it like that and sort of reset it because it wouldn't even turn and the electrics off. And I called Siparu and they're like, yeah, it was. It was pretty hot. It was like thirty degrees I'm like, mate, your car's literally fucking called outback. It's thirty degrees mate, it ain't that hot. So yeah, believe it's sort of like bring it in, bring it in. But look otherwise it's fun.
Speaker 2: It sounds great.
Speaker 1: It sounds great. Half, No, I I generally like it. It's look teething issues, mate's teething issues.
Speaker 2: But it sounds very annoying.
Speaker 1: Did your father in law have problems with it?
Speaker 2: No, they've had no dramas with theirs. There is non turbo. They do a favorit of towing and stuff, so there has been perfectly fine. And they've got no idea how to use any of the features. So from that point of view, it's been all good.
Speaker 1: But did you say features You mean the Apple gar play.
Speaker 2: Literally, he didn't know it had it until I showed him the other week, and he's had the car for like two years.
Speaker 1: It's a wireless too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, the fuel economy is a bit odd, the heating thing is a bit strange. I'll get them checked out and I'll keep you updated. But look, I have to say as a highway car, it's still one of the best. Like, it's such a great highway car. The adaptive cruise control is amazing on it. We went up to Port mcquarie, fuck and hell, I know you bought your Ranger from that joint, but Port mcquarie and I got a few listeners of this show comment going, oh, how bloody goods Port mcquarie, Paul mcquarie is like a giant retirement village for fat old people. It's a craze for fat old people and everyone goes at this really annoying slow speed. It's like it's sort of not quite slow enough to toot and get out of the way, but it's almost, but it's very much a speed where it's like can we can we get a move on?
Speaker 2: It's you. I don't like your city slickers around there, Champion.
Speaker 4: No ungine too much of a Harry and Port mcquarie.
Speaker 5: I like, but no, you know, the thing I thought was strange about Port mcquarie, the RSL was great that there's like a little cafe on the water as well, which is really nice too.
Speaker 1: Are you talking about are you talking about Settlement city? You're talking about Yeah, you're talking about Panthers only the one and there's a there's a little bar sort of thing on the right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds about right. But I thought it was odd because there's like a lot of petrol stations, a lot of car dealerships for a city that's really not that big. I just it baffles me how there is so much economic activity. So they must have all just had a lot of disposable income that they're spending money on. But I don't know, it's just really fascinating to me.
Speaker 1: I think it's very much of a hub of what's around it too, because if you kind of look at anywhere from say Tari and then you go north of Port mcquarie, which would be fucking who knows, it sort of feels like a bit of a oh maybe because it coughs harbor, I don't know, but it feels like a bit of a hub catching yeah, between everything in between. So yeah, you're right though, you'll get like the big Bunnings and you'll get all the car dealerships. And I spent New Year's Eve there too.
Speaker 2: Wow did your party like it was nineteen eighty six? Yeah?
Speaker 1: My resolution was do not have New Year's Eve here again? But yeah, did you go away?
Speaker 2: No? No, not really.
Speaker 1: I feel like with that singler when I say did you go away? It's like talking about prison time.
Speaker 2: It was just six months, you know. Yeah, so it was fine.
Speaker 1: You did appear on a list next to Trevor and Jeffrey Epstein.
Speaker 2: So I did have a fine fifty over Christmas. And it's somewhat limited where I could go because it was the long wheelbase and at six point three or four meters long. It's sort of not as to annoy a lot of people because every time I parked it, I would be in someone's way, and often they were some woke sort of Tesla driver that would take issue with me driving that thing. But yeah, it kind of limited, but for a long distance drive it was so great. So did a lot of longer distance highway driving. And I can see why Americans love them. They find fifty is the best selling car in the States. And it's not hard to see ryan.
Speaker 1: Beast of a looking car, such a base like it's got such a great presence about it. It's kit it out well too, like that can't be ignored. I reckon for a long time Americans are really sucked when it comes to interior, but that cars kit it out really well tech wise too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do a really good job with them. There's a whole step of interesting stuff they've got on them, but forward, I just don't know how they managed to get doing this. But they had just stop selling them, stop delivering them because there was a remanufacturing issue. So basically the turbo hose was collapsing on itself and causing the engine to go into limp mo. Then they just had to stop delivering them. All these customers that were expecting them just before Chrissy, we're told, nah, he could come back later. So I know two guys that canceled their orders, like, nah, fuck it, I'm not going to wait any longer. I'll just go buy something else. So I'm curious to if anyone's listening to this. If you had fifty on order, have you kept the order based on them sort of fucking everyone around, or are you sort of looking for something else.
Speaker 1: I wonder what the wait times are like on those now.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, exactly, so initially there was there was a lot of white time, But I really don't know what the situation is if they've started deliveries again, and if they haven't, the wait time is just going to keep growing because no one's actually getting any of their cars, So I don't even know if they have a solution to the problem. So, yeah, it's a it's a bloody weird one.
Speaker 1: Talk about a bloody weird one. He did a bloody weird road trip with what's his name, Joe Achilles. Yes, are you guys fucking what? I only brief it just it was just a little fleing fling.
Speaker 2: No, we did a road trip and it was it was good fun and we meant to do a podcast episode with with Joe and I think recall you were a little sick, had the sniffles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had. I had the social media martis rest in peace with Anyway, enough of that, Sorry for our social activity is a bit low for for the next couple of weeks anyway, not the point. Yeah, No, we were supposed to do a little cute little episode with him. Maybe we can get him on the zoom sometimes when we're all together. Let's put him on the list, let's put him on the guest list. Just before you get into this, I think it's if you're going to do a road trip, i'd say do it in style, especially because the Melbourne to Sydney sitting to Melbourne trip, there's some there's some great scenery and there's some good toilet stops, but my point is do it in a in a luxury car, like did you have that? Was it the seven series?
Speaker 2: It was the seven series. But I just want to challenge your toilet stops because on the New South Wales side, the toilets are all like long drops, which I think is disgusting for a major highway. It's not like you're driving, so if you need to pull over, drop it's when you climb.
Speaker 1: Is that a little like a little position that you and did that? I'll tell you is what I've got a long drop?
Speaker 2: So it's it's when you need to go to the toilet. You pull over and you can see the cubicle. It's up on stairs and as you approach it, you have this horrific smell and you're like, I wonder what that is. You get inside the little cubicle, open the toilet lid and it's just a hole that goes down to a pile of shit and urine and that's the toilet. And it's like, surely we are a little more civilized than this on a major freeway.
Speaker 1: Why didn't you go to a macasin or something?
Speaker 2: Like that, I don't know where they are. I'm just driving. I need to go to the toilet. I thought I'll pull over, which I've done in Victoria there's actual toilets. Anyway, one of them had a glory hold.
Speaker 1: That I was did you pull over in that sieglet You would have got planed right out.
Speaker 2: But seriously, one of the cubicles. We'll get to the road trip in a second. I'm sort of sitting there looking at the cubicle. I'm like, what is that in the wall? And it was a whole bunch of toilet paper in a hole and I'm like, that is so. And then I walked around to the next cubicle and the hole went through to the other cubicle. I'm like, oh, I see what this is. Anyway, so we did a road trip from Melbourne to Sydney and the theory the hypothesis was is it cheaper, specifically for a road trip to drive a petrol car or an electric car? And we did this at the end of last year because we wanted to publish it with Christmas coming up and everyone doing road trips if they had an electric car, I wanted to show them what is the best thing to do. So anyway, we picked the seven Series because they sell a seven Series in petrol and also full electric, so we wanted to have the same car as opposed to just different cars. And of course we wanted to not be bored to death, so I thought picked something nice. So anyway, we left Hawthorne in Victoria. Both cars were at one hundred percent and we wanted to drive to Tarcata, which is the halfway point between Melbourne and Sydney, and that's four hundred and fifty k's away.
Speaker 1: Now, the car showed, can I just quickly pause you there when you started that little road trip of yours? And you so you started with a full charge and did did Joe what you like to call, brim his tank?
Speaker 2: He did? Now, right right to the to the rim.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. You've got to fucking stop saying. Oh, anyway, so we brim the tank like you're something special. I've thought about it. When I was filling up. I think I was in Tarkata or try Fucker or wherever the fuck I was. I'm like, you just fill it. Most people fill it up till it clicks a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Now, maybe you want a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of extra juice and check a little bit like why the tank.
Speaker 2: No, it's when you bring it. You need to bring the fuel until it is about to overflow, because if you go to the first click, the clicking in the hose is basically air coming back up the hose, and when it's a texted it stops the flow. So you can depending on density and how full your tank is, it might click early. So you need to have a visual indicator of where the fuel is, so that is called brimming it. So anyway, we bringed a bit and so tar cutters four hundred and fifty ks away and the electric VMW showed the driving range of five and fifty seven or something, and I thought, my drums will piss it in. So anyway, we're driving along, and while we're driving, we'll stopped for a rebreak at.
Speaker 1: The place with the.
Speaker 2: Whole and I've got a text message from one of the girls at the office and she goes, oh, have you had any issues with charging because the Optus networks down. I'm like, it's been charged yet, but I assume it'll be okay, and she goes, no, that EV network is down, and that was the charger we needed to use in Tarcata, and we were still about one hundred and fifty k's from Tarkata. So I'm like, well, let's just keep going and we'll see what happens when we get there. Anyway, as we're getting closer, my range is like dropping rapidly, and we get to Tarkata with two percent of battery range left, and so the car had lost twenty percent of its range effectively because it was going five hundred and fifty to start with. And thankfully that charger was working despite it being on the on the EV network. And just just for those playing at home who want a bit of a technical explanation about why an EV does that. Basically, when you charge it to full, it says it has a computer inside that says, well, my program deficiency allows me to do five hundred and fifty kilometers if it's driven within a typical drive and a typical driver is how they certify these vehicles for their driving range. So when you're driving on the freeway, there's no real chance for region or a limited chance for a region. In addition to that, there's an elevation change between Melbourne and Tarkata, so you are predominantly driving uphill, so effectively, instead of being in and around the city where you're slowing down and speeding up, you're just driving uphill. You're just using energy. So that is where you get that energy reduction. But the good thing is that when you get to Suton Forests down towards Sydney, it's predominantly downhill because you're going from an elevation of six hundred meters to zero and basically we're able to put twenty kilo eight hours of energy back into the battery during those descents. So it's got a long story short. We got to Sydney, we brimmed the car again right up to the rim, and basically found that it was cheaper to do the road trip in a petrol car that ended up costing almost twenty dollars less, and that was ninety eight rong unleaded put into the BMW and fuel was expensive as well as two dollars ten at the time. And also it was a six minute phil as opposed to two hours and eight minutes of sitting there charging.
Speaker 1: So does that surprise you, Uh no, not really, it's I mean I've sort of said it before, I think anyone and fuck it go back and listen to any of our John Kudogan episodes because he puts it brilliantly. But if you think for one second, like one you're buying an EV to save the planet and fucking reduce your carbon foot prints and whatever, you're just not cheaper running costs and all that sort of thing. I think time and time again this is unless you have a way to charge your car at home, you know, off peak and all that sort of stuff, I think that's probably the better way to do it. But oh, with Solar, I think were I've always said, I think we're EV stand right now in twenty twenty four are a commuter car their grades to sort of commute around cities and stuff like that. I would not want to do a road trip in an EV, Like yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: I'm totally with you on that, and look to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're not there yet, Like you've just kind of proved a point, like we're definitely not there yet where we need to be in terms of like charging infrastructure, Like the fuck A network went down and that was putting things into disarray, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like yeah, and look, the flip side is, you know, if you're driving in and around the city, have solar at home, and EV will always be cheaper than a petrol car to run in those circumstances. And I think that with the network going down, if you went to a petrol station, you would have been able to put fuel in your car, but you wouldn't have been able to pay with their post and all that sort of stuff. But you still could have paid with cash, which you couldn't do at an EB charger. But the other thing is that the charge right since we filmed this have gone up by almost forty percent depending on what speed you choose. And then I mean it is just going In the history of electricity prices, they have never gone down. And so anyone that thinks that when we move to renewables and all this sort of stuff that electricity will become cheaper, I mean they are absolutely kidding themselves. And that's the case. It means you're charging it's going to become more expensive. And then in addition to that, the government currently takes forty five forty seven cents per letter from petrol excise. So the second act disappears and we're all driving around in evs. Guess who they're going to come and start taxing, and that is everyone. So just because you charge it at home, that I'm going to let you get away with that. So yeah, look, I think that it is an interesting one. What I did find though, is that people get very triggered by this. You either had the people that are just like, yeah, I fucking told you evs are just shit. Everyone I told you. So then you had the flip side, which was people who love evs who were telling us about everything we did wrong or everything they thought we did wrong, to the point where some of the stuff was just fanciful. They were like, oh, you should have stopped here, here, here, and here, and it would have been cheap. And I'm like, yeah, but I already wasted two hours and eight minutes charging You want me to hour waste even more time going off the freeway and going into some town because there's some charger next to our hotel somewhere. Yeah, there's just a lot of Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, this is a fucking simple road trip. This isn't like some strategy plan where I'm trying to that'st find clues like, yeah, we're not a road trip level for this sort of stuff. Yet we're just not.
Speaker 2: No, And look as an EV owner. When it came to Christmas time, I had the fin fifty. I chose to drive that everywhere we went because there is no way I want to get stuck in a queue with other people waiting to charge and all that sort of nonsense. Even if I didn't have the Finn fifty, I would have driven my Raptor. There's no way I would drive an electric car during busy peak periods on longer road trips, because it is just a recipe for disaster. That's what my thought.
Speaker 1: Hey, you know what did you find it to be a smoother ride like? Because obviously it's an EV. I've always said that evs and luxury cars just go together so well, And to me, I reckon, that's at the moment, at this point in time, that's where the EV market is excelling. Is a luxury car game?
Speaker 2: Well, look not really. I mean the seven was lovely. It was really nice to drive. It was like thirty degrees. We had the pulled seats running, air conditioner was cranked, so it was all fine. But Joe and the seventh boardy, I mean it's the same car. It weighs six hundred kilos less, so the riders typically better, and he ended up using something like six leaders per one hundred ks, which is nothing. And I mean if you switch out his car for a Wrap four hybrid which uses two leaders per one hundred less and can run on ninety one run fuel as well, it would be even cheaper. Still, So I think that as a road trip vehicle, it's just a it's a no brainer. You know what you would have thought when yd brought the three and they had issues with a tether point in the center seat in the second row and they had to stop sail and fix it. Wouldn't you at that point have gone, Okay, I'm bringing a car into Australia. I'm going to triple check that there is a place where I can hook my kid up to in the middle of the second row, because it is a rule, and someone has just been dicked for this. Matt memo didn't get through the wizards at Tesla because the Model three is now no longer on sale and can no longer be delivered to customers, and the customers that do have a car now have doubts over whether they could actually keep driving it because they had this exact same issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they overcome this. So basically what's happened is Tesla have had to pause sales in Australia because their center Child's restraint to the point has not been installed. They've got the two end ones, but compliance in Australia says you need to have the middle one if you've got the middle seat. Now byd did this go about eighteen months ago and had to stop the sales, as you said, of the A three, but they managed to kind of clean that up fairly well.
Speaker 2: So did some really good crime coms on that as well. Say that again, you guys did some really good crisis comms on that at Big ID as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, thank you. Sorry, Hang on, what's that Emperor Mao take him out? Yes, sir, I just want to say so, I am here with the Alliance, Yes, locked into the regime. I'll take him out. That's the anthem, isn't It's.
Speaker 2: Not an inspected gadget.
Speaker 1: The Emperor Mao is just like on a big throne, like I'll get you next time, Marrik, next time. Yeah. The compliance thing is fucking how what are you doing? You're the most popular, well known EV company on the planet. Everybody knows who you are. You think your boys down at the Compliance Division would kind of check when they're launching the new thing in to Australia.
Speaker 2: You know, you know what as well? I reckon someone at the Department of it's the Department of hold on, let me read this out because I thought it was the funniest thing in the world. It is the Department of Department. No, no, it was the Department of Transport and Planning. Apparently it's on the Department of Transport, Agriculture Planning and corn Flags or whatever it is. But someone they would have gone, Okay, I have nothing to do every day, and they would have seen this come in and gone, oh my god, we have hit them other load. I cannot wait to stop saleon this. They must just sit there and go please, just don't have a top ten point in the middle.
Speaker 4: Jeffrey, Jeffrey, you're not going to believe what you fucking happened to you Teshler have made a big old cock up. I can't wait to fucking talk to the boys about this one.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, I am.
Speaker 4: I'm getting to getting only bit of a stiffy over it. I haven't seen you in forty years It's like seeing an old friend yish madey tishla fucked up. Oh Jesus, I was thinking, my bloody blow dust.
Speaker 1: That's how I imagine driver's sex will have. Guys wonder where that kupra took him over the holidays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he loves defending that thing as well, which is good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, loves it. Hey, listen, Chinese ev brand Zeka are coming to Australia. These guys are owned by well of the same people who own Volvo and Pollstar and is it? Is it the Geley group?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I was thinking when this news article came across my desk, this is just totally sidetracked. I once wrote a bit of copy for Geely Technically, yeah, I write a radio ad for Proton, Remember Proton?
Speaker 2: Was it the jump Buck Satria?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the jump I think it could have been the jump Buck or was there like a Proton three or something? That jumbuck was there, fucking ute, wasn't it?
Speaker 2: That's it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I felt like there was like a Proton three or something. I don't know what it was, but I remember Geely also own Loaders. Yeah, I've got a feeling it was. I was riding it because some of the chassis or some of the parts were designed by loaders. In this Proton something.
Speaker 2: Like engineered by loaders that had a badge on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was their big claim to fame. Anyway, Zeka coming to Australia. What do you make of these cars? By the way, Well, I saw.
Speaker 2: One at Munich Airport last year and we were driving in and I'm like, what the fuck is that? And it was the stupidly fast sedan thing that has a very inspired design from the Nis and GTR concert and it looked absolutely unreal and I started googling it. I'm like, holy crap, thisstening looks amazing. So they really are just all about this radical design and just having a look at what Volvo is doing with the X ninety and X thirty. I just think that whole group and what they're working on at the moment is just really fascinating. So I think it is pretty cool they're coming to Australia. I just love that we're getting so much variety now in terms of what's on sale in Australia. It means you don't have to just settle for the same thing that everyone else has. So yeah, I think it's pretty cool. I can't wait to see them here and take one for a spin.
Speaker 1: I agree. I think I'm looking forward to these actually, because competition is always a great thing. It brings prices down, it's good for the consumer, the more for us to choose, and a lot of people like go Jesus bloody Chinese cash. But I mean, these guys are bringing what looks to be an awesome I think it's I'm looking.
Speaker 5: At the.
Speaker 1: Zero zero one. I think it is kind of looks like a plot. I don't know, it looks mad, though it looks so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, Yeah, I agree. I am excited for their arrival.
Speaker 1: Okay, so everyone would remember a month ago that viral footage that went around. I think it was originally by car Well on YouTube, but the footage of the cyber truck taking on a nine to eleven in a drag race quarter mile. Not only did the cyber truck win, but it revealed that it was actually winning whilst towig another nine to eleven. There's an Instagram at account Court and believe it or not, I follow them. I think you'd think it's just something nerdy Pavelai would follow, but it's called Engineering explained, they've busted them, right, they've busted this to be a little bit of I guess a little bit of hohoha, a little bit of showbiz magic.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Jason of Engineering explained he actually runs a YouTube channel and he's famous for standing in front of a whiteboard and just explaining stuff in layman's terms, and he decided to tackle the issue with the cyber truck on the nine to eleven because I did see that footage as well. I was a little just confused by it all there, and when Elon Musk claimed that the cyber truck was quicker across the quarter mile than a nine to eleven while also towing a nine to eleven, I thought, my spidy senses are tingling, because there's a number of issues with this. A cyber truck across the quarter mile is moving at a rapid pace if it's as fast as a nine to eleven, Therefore it needs to have a trailer with tires that are speed rated, and towing a car at that speed is just a stupid idea. So that those things were alarm bells to me. And also they didn't reveal which nine to eleven it was, so Anyway, Jason basically debunked this whole thing and discovered that in the video, they only raced across the eighth mile, So quarter mile is four hundred and two ish meters, the eighth mile is half that distant. Then, when he delved a little further, he discovered that even if Tesla used the slowest Porsche on sale, which is the Carrera T manual, that the cyber truck, yeah, the cyber truck towing something and then towing a car as well, could still not be faster than the nine to eleven. And he basically laid it all out in perfect terms. And the lead engineer for the cyber truck saw this video and decided to reply in ad is two cents. And what he revealed, which I just think is totally ridiculous. He revealed that they only filmed it across the eighth mile, which we know. He also then revealed the reason they did into the quarter mile is because the trailer had tires that were only speed rated to eighty miles an hour, which is not fast enough to do anything of interest. And further to that, he said they simulated the quarter mile and that it would beat the nine to eleven. Now, there's a few issues with this, so they never actually did it, So simulating it is just nonsense, and then claiming it's faster when you never actually tested it is just stupid.
Speaker 1: One's cool. The secondary the other ones called actual practice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the second part is that being a manual transmission video that requires a driver that is expertly skilled in shifting gears fast in that specific car to achieve the optimum time. Now, if you're making a video where you're claiming you're faster than this other car, you have a vested interest in the driver of that car being just a little bit shit. So I mean, why would you not just pick a PDK nine to eleven where all you have to do is press the brake and press the throttle and everything else just happens. And the reason is it would not be quicker. So they've absolutely ripped it apart, and the engineer then self incriminated himself by basically admiting they never actually tested it.
Speaker 1: This kind of falls back to my theory of I think the people who love this car, who love the cyber truck, do not give a shit. I mean, the fact is it's done its purpose, whether it was a quarter mile or like a half quarter mile whatever it is an eighth mile.
Speaker 2: Onn't what was it an eighth past that class to make.
Speaker 1: You it's kind of irrelevant because the whole shot of it is, it is what it is. It's sort of honest to an extent. But yes, the whole quarter mile, Oh, we simulated it and it fucking still works and it would beat the nine to eleven. That's ridiculous. That's you kind of enclaim. That's basically a hypothesis versus practice. That's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: It's really fast as it is. It's like it is the acceleration figures for that vehicle already out of this world. So why would you then go and make up this shit that you know isn't true and then just play it like it's just so stupid.
Speaker 1: On the I think it's marketing. We're in a visual world. People like aren't in consumers of this, Like, fuck, do you know who drives a cyber truck? Farrell? Farrell drives a cyber truck. He's his super producery. He was part of a thing called the Neptunes. He's quite a famous muso and he's also now like the head creative director of like Gucci or something like that. So that's your audience of a truck is someone like Pharrell. They just want their friends to go check out my car. It can beat a nine to eleven until a nine to eleven, even though it's not really true, true, it's showbiz true. That's enough for an influencer. Do you know what I mean? That would just I'll just flick their hair and carry on. But interesting one to kind of go, guys, you've just been shot on and sort of that engineer probably should have just shut his mouth a little bit. By the way, do you know should we just finish out with a couple of question to you from the gram?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Let's go. Okay, these will be rapid fire questions, so let's not think too hard about it. Should be easy for me.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: This one's from Marty Party. Do you think petrol vehicles kept installed in good nick would be lucrative in twenty or thirty years as an investment? Are I mean? Yes, obviously it depends of what car, right, But yes, yes, depends.
Speaker 2: On the car. But I will definitely have some in storage.
Speaker 1: This one is from Mitchell sup Brother falcon Or Commodore and why I'm going to say Commodore, I don't know. I feel like I've got a greater affiliation with a Commodore the great Australian car, right, I mean they look better, they drive faster.
Speaker 2: Gushing, So it depends on the era. For me, there were some eras where falcon were better than Commodorees and vice versus. It really depends. I do only have HSV's at the moment, but I will look to change that in the near future.
Speaker 1: I still reckon that XU six is an amazing forward.
Speaker 2: By the way, x six tuber or the six.
Speaker 1: How is Donna's New Year? Let's throw that to Pavla. That was from Liam. How was how was Donna's New Year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sweaty, that's no fireworks? All right?
Speaker 1: Am I ever a pair of lee We'll go out with a bang doll on. You know it's weird. Started off this episode saying Paul's on the zoom with the blue wife beater singleer where his man boobs look like Donna's croup top. So obviously where you are there would have been a window. So the sun has gone down, so all I can basically see is you're faded over time. There's like all I can see is like this big Croatian cheesy smile and those creamy kind of arms that haven't seen the light of day in a long time. It's like, yeah, I can barely see that pair.
Speaker 2: Of duns have just come out. Don't worry that safety's on. It's okay.
Speaker 1: Someone called doctor Chris Brown. Those swans are sick. What is that under your arm? Is that Donald's vagina? Anyway, It's actually so this whole episode you've gently faded out. It's like an episode of Law and Order. I'm just waiting for it to go for executive produce a dig wolf.
Speaker 2: It's a metaphor for this episode.
Speaker 1: Yes, this question comes from Doug. Should we import Oh, should we import the larder nivar again?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I reckon. I'm just sick of I don't know, just especially with all this Hindraus stuff that's happened since our last episode. And we'll talk about that in the next episode. I just am sick of people being told that they can and can't do it. And the reason it won't get improported is there'll be some safety idiot that just says you can't have it. It'll be the same safety idiot that's off the sale on that Tesla. Yeah, it'll be some stupid rules someone put in place, you know anyway, But yes, I think they should, but they won't.
Speaker 1: From Henry, give your thoughts on the new Gi Yarus. I like the Gi Yrris. I don't know. I'm guessing he's talking about the one that's out right now.
Speaker 2: I added an automatic transmission, and okay, yeah, I think the interior looks a bit stupid, but I am very keen to drive it because of the seating position which is lower. And I'm very keen to see what that auto transmission is like as well, because maybe it was it was fine, but just an auto in that, if it's good, should actually really give it a bit of a reinvigoration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm keen to drive it. I like to see. I love the manual in it. Personally. I think it's good. The prices are coming down on those those og Gi yarisis as well, which is good to see. I'm worried because I feel like this will be like when they just stuck the auto in the Golfer and there was no manual. It's just like this one comes from Oh, This comes from a regular listener intrigues coop. When's the ah, this is a good one. When's the new line of merch coming out?
Speaker 2: I did see a little tease.
Speaker 1: On your Yeah spoiler it is out and we'll talk about that in a second. And are we getting are we getting GTA style merch as well? Where we can organize that, we can get into that. We'll talk about it.
Speaker 2: There is there you enjoy your creativity there? I was quite thank you.
Speaker 1: You can tell I was too much of a fractionary bo mcquarie. This one again comes from in tree coup. What's the best card to buy? Unto sixty thousand dollars that you see being a future collector car? So I don't know if this is new or old. Actually he does say new or old, So maybe we can do one of each. Let me see sixty thousand dollars old, I mean I would still go fuck, they've got their problems, but I'll still go a nine nine to six. I reckon you could get under sixty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'd be going down the path of if we're talking new. We just spoke about it for the gr yars. I reckon that car in ten or fifteen years time will be the most bizarre thing to have on the road and it will be cool withst car to have on the road.
Speaker 1: Do you reckon? You could get the new Type R that's probably.
Speaker 2: About seventeen three grand.
Speaker 1: You cough up an extra ten grand and that'll be a fucking classic, or I may just do that, give the Type R. So look, merch's out, Merch's here. We've got a lot of it, So big ups to Gus from Machines Plus for that legend. We are going to announce something in the next episode. We've got a few things to announce actually coming up, some exciting stuff for everybody plan this year. And yeah, two big things which we will announce next episode. In the meantime, if you haven't subscribed to this podcast, if you haven't shared it with your fucking mar or your mechanic or people in the know or whoever, please do and give it a five star rating and leave a little silly comment so Pavel gets a chuckle and that would be amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bloody, And then contact at the Drivers Show dot com today if you want to shoot us an email you.
Speaker 1: I'm going to put that photo of you Indian bloody man busy singlet up on the Socials, by the way, and I'm going to tag you in it and I'm expecting a shower. See if you put that one, if you game enough to put that on your own brand, actually better not Joanna Greggs on it a dribble bib she already does.
Speaker 2: Well. Thank you around for listening. Hopefully we'll have our next episode out sooner than the rather extended that over Christmas.
Speaker 1: But anyway, thanks for listening to Ron. Catch you next time.