Speaker 1: Get a Peter Helly here. Welcome to You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet?
Speaker 2: The Movie podcast, where I chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guests Comedian Mate friend of the show Luke McGregor.
Speaker 3: The first rule of Flake Club is you do not talk about fake club.
Speaker 4: Now. It was you afraid of you broke my heart.
Speaker 5: I admire your luck.
Speaker 1: Mister Bond, James Bond couldn't happening right now?
Speaker 6: You Ain't Seen Nothing New?
Speaker 1: What more can I say about Luke McGregor.
Speaker 2: This is his third time on You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet, and he is an absolute delight. It's been one of my great thrills in the last decade or so to see the way audiences have taken to Luke. He is such a smart, funny, generous and kind man and performer.
Speaker 1: You know e from rose Haven.
Speaker 2: You may have seen his sex documentary Luke Warm Sex, which was really rave, really amazing.
Speaker 1: You would have seen on all the panel.
Speaker 2: Shows Hughsy We've Got a Problem the Project, amongst other things.
Speaker 1: Also, he's doing some great work with.
Speaker 2: Charlie Pickering on the Weekly Now Luke Blow said, Luca has been on the show three times. I'll just let you know his favorite films before we hear some more from Luke. He initially kicked off with Ghostbusters, A Bronx Tale, and quite cheekly Sonic the Hedgehog, and then when he returned, he did Terminated to Judgment Day, Return to the Dragon, and Jurassic Park.
Speaker 1: I love hanging with Bloke.
Speaker 2: He's one of my favorite people in the industry, a great mate, and I'm bloody stoked be hanging with him today.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm lu McGregor, and my seventh, eighth, and ninth favorite films are Aliens. Apparently, she sign Alien once would be fucking do Lion King the animated One. Obviously you have forgotten me and Star Wars The Empire strikes back.
Speaker 1: I love you, I know.
Speaker 3: But up until this week, I had never seen The Godfather Part three.
Speaker 2: Made sixteen years after its predecessor, Godfather Coda the death of Michael Collione season aging Michael Collone Albacina, of course, suffering from diabetes and the ghosts of the past. Michael's desire to make the Collione family legitimate plays out in this epic. He hopes to do this by getting in bed with the Vatican. Surely dealing with the men of the cloth will be easier than the mafia men back in New York City.
Speaker 1: Be careful what you wish for.
Speaker 2: As interesting as the Vatican storyline is, the Godfather Coder is about family, about how you can never really escape the violent actions and brutal choices of your past. Trilogy mainstays Talia Shyer, Connie and Diane Keaton kay Adams have more to do here than either of the previous films. Newcomer Andy Garcia as Sonny's hot headed son Vincent.
Speaker 1: Is a welcomed edition.
Speaker 2: Fransivil Coppler's daughter and future superstar director Sophia Copla plays Mary Michael's daughter and Vincent's creepy crush, and has unfairly received mixed reviews for her performance. Nominated for seven Academy Awards. The third installment of the Godfather trilogy is often aligned, which is a bit of a shame. No, it's not in the conversation as the greatest film ever made, but most films aren't. If you love parts one and two, you really need to give the third a chance. Luke McGregor be honest, have you ever stabbed anyone in the eye with your glasses?
Speaker 3: They were the sharpest pair of glasses I've ever seen, Like that was like an ice pick. They went in like I am. You know, I wear glasses and I've never thought of them as a self defense tool. They were so sharp.
Speaker 1: Well, he must have done it.
Speaker 2: I wondered if he did a little bit of work on them, because otherwise, you're right, he would have maybe this bounced off the eyeball.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, they're in the neck. They're in the neck.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So they managed to pierce through his throat and then just bluttering around. I'm like, oh, surely there was another way of doing this that wasn't.
Speaker 3: I don't know it was. It was the sharpest purroglass I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: I would have liked to have seen the scene with him in the garage, just sharpening, sharpening, the glasses, sharpening something.
Speaker 1: You're not sure what, you know.
Speaker 5: He took the glasses off the guy's head and then shoved them into his neck, So my only thought was that he would He went to the went to Specsabers or something like that and bought the same glass as the guy had and then maybe checked, maybe you got some ballistic still or something to test them out to see if they were sharp enough to do the And he's like, oh, great, well this is gonna be fine. I've tested it on this sort of martial arts stummy that I've bought and they pierced right through, so I should be right to stab him.
Speaker 2: He obviously knew the part of the neck as well. If you know the parts of the body, the sensitive parts of the body to really to really attack, you can do some amazing things. Yeah, you know this, You've done your karate.
Speaker 3: We've both studied the arts and the blade.
Speaker 1: Spec we are assassins.
Speaker 3: It's it's on that.
Speaker 5: And again I don't know enough about human anatomy to know how a person would react to getting stabbed.
Speaker 3: But when in the you know when the assassins and the.
Speaker 5: The opera, yep, and he's killing people like, he's not covering their mouth when he kills them, He's just stabbing them, and they're like, and then they die silently.
Speaker 1: See the opera, you respect the.
Speaker 3: Perform That's true. I forgot about that.
Speaker 5: I hate it.
Speaker 2: We're talking movies. The same thing happens in the opera. Whether you're being stabbed or not.
Speaker 3: It's funny how in movies like this.
Speaker 5: I've absolutely watched a billion films that I haven't picked apart that have death stines that aren't realistic, but it's it's kind of funny how you like your suspension disbelief is obviously you know, when it's different than the director, all of a sudden it ruins it for you. Like, for all I know, maybe punch hit him in the lung and that takes all ther windowut of you, so you can't you can't scream or whatever.
Speaker 3: But in mind mind I'm just like schurely you go our or something.
Speaker 2: Complete with complete silence, silence, complete silence. Now, thank you for returning. You are now officially the most guested guests we've had on you ain't see nothing yet, I'm on it.
Speaker 3: Why I lucked out?
Speaker 5: Because I chose the Godfather, Someone's going to choose. Someone chose Harry Potter.
Speaker 1: Yet not Harry Potter. Think Harry Potter is it classic?
Speaker 3: Probably not yet?
Speaker 1: The books undoubtedly classic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, some people will have I think Ange.
Speaker 2: Bishop told me she hadn't seen Harry Potter, and my first thought was, is that is that worthy? Has anyone picked Alien Cursey we Beck, We did Alien.
Speaker 3: Okay, so she'll she'll have Aliens, Aliens three and Aliens Resurrection.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the this is the thing at some point, like while he's doing Star Wars, so Wiley will return.
Speaker 1: We didn't.
Speaker 2: We weren't able to organize it for this season. But next season he will come back in the Return of the Jedi. So that's where he's up to. But that does he go do the prequels?
Speaker 1: Does he do? He does?
Speaker 3: It's our infinite podcast content, I know.
Speaker 2: But I feel like by calling Phantom Menace a classic, yeah, it's a contaminating.
Speaker 5: That's true, because I mean it'd be like, I guess if like with Aliens, do you go see Aliens versus Predator? Then do you see Predators? Do you see Like there's a lot of some films have a lot of spin offs that maybe aren't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I feel we need to kind of protect the integrity of the podcast. I mean, there may be people listening to this going come on, it's got Father Part three a classic, but I think it deserves a conversation and I don't want to know what you think of it just yet because I want to come back and get all that. But there's three films your seventh, eighth, and ninth favorite films.
Speaker 1: Ah, In fact, it was Alien or Aliens.
Speaker 3: I chose Aliens just because I remember as a kid, just when Ripley was out in the in the machine, in the in the in that sort of mach suit forklift thing.
Speaker 5: I was just I thought that was so cool, especially after the first one where it was, you know, it's almost a horror film, and then the second one was sort of almost like a fight back and then Fighting the Queen. It was just such a cool sequel.
Speaker 3: Lion King.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to check a animated film in there, because obviously they had a huge impact on me growing up, and Lion King was probably my hes probably the.
Speaker 3: One I've seen the most. It's only it's only a film I've ever bought the soundtrack to on CD. And the other one was.
Speaker 1: Independent Films Back.
Speaker 3: I mean that was just yeah, my name is Luke. Everything about that film was cool.
Speaker 2: So that actually I have a brother in law, Luke, and it actually meant something to him that, like, you know, the most f miss guy in the world all of a sudden, and it was Luke Skywalker.
Speaker 3: My parents named me after Luke Skywalker. Really, yeah they. I think it was a mix of Luke Skywalker and Luke from the Bible. I think it was. But yeah, they so they were big Star Wars fans, and yeah, I think that that helped lead to the decision of calling me Luke.
Speaker 2: They also enrolled you in Karate lessons. Did your parents hope that you one day would become a Jedi?
Speaker 3: I think they just wouldn't.
Speaker 5: I think they just knew this guy's getting teasted based on my appearance. Appearance the way to everything about me was. I mean, it's great because it's led to comedy later in life, but at the time at school, before I was doing stand up, all of it was a negative.
Speaker 1: It was all self defense.
Speaker 2: Well, we are glad you got through all of that and you entertained audiences both live on stage and on our screens, and we're all the better for it.
Speaker 3: This is do you tell your kids?
Speaker 1: Pete?
Speaker 3: First of all, thank you, That's that's all beair to say. Do you tell your kids that?
Speaker 5: Because I used to have a lot of teachers tell me school's the best year, this is the best years of your life. And I'm like, no, surely not.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure I've ever said they're the best years of your life, but I've particularly the kids. It was hard with my oldest because he went he did, he was in lockdown for the final two years right of his VC. So I kind of kept the idea that those years are actually kind of quite fun years socially. But so I've got another one, aid and doing year twelve, and I think he's well aware that he's pretty socials.
Speaker 1: He's having some fun.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I do try to positive reinforce the idea, like you don't get to hang out with your mates for the rest of your life necessarily.
Speaker 1: I mean we kind of work in industry where we kind of do.
Speaker 3: I guess yeah, because I find the post school years way better.
Speaker 1: I mean, everything's come up McGregor in the last ten years.
Speaker 5: He let's be honest, true, when I when I worked in, when I worked in when I first got out of Union, I started working in the government, and then super like, really was you catch it with your friends when you can. It's like, I did I miss them? I went from hanging out with them every day to not hanging out with them at all. Unless we really organize something, and then thank thankfully I managed to make comedy you know, at work. And then now I get to hang out with my mates all the time again, which is great. But yeah, when I was breaking in super innuation, absolutely I did miss them.
Speaker 2: I have fond memories of school, but yeah, I wouldn't claim they were the best years.
Speaker 1: Of my life.
Speaker 3: Cool kid at school, I was not well, I was.
Speaker 2: Not cool in inverted commas, I was. I mean, I was vice captain of the school. I had pretty popular a lot, I had a lot of friends. Yeah, I did have a lot of friends, and I am still friends with those like that. Those are my still my if you like, in a circle. And and yeah, so I've kept in touch with all my all my mates from school and and you know, sometimes it's it's to.
Speaker 1: Do with the year level.
Speaker 2: You know, like I've seen, you know, you could have a year level above you that like that doesn't seem to be strong friendship groups in that year level. But we had a really kind of everyone seemed to get along that there was in other year levels. There was like genuine tension between what they you know, we called referred to as the skips and the wogs back then yah know, and then when in our year level, there was this kind of like really like I don't know, friendly. I wouldn't even call it a rivalry. It was like we kind of hung out together. It wasn't it wasn't a thing.
Speaker 1: It was a thing. It was like a funny thing.
Speaker 2: Like they would they would tease us about our ship lunches, you know, glad wraps and sandwiches. They've got like lasagneurs in their containers and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So it was kind of this out to day it was. It was I felt like I grew up in a good with good people around me as far as a peer group. Just on that.
Speaker 3: We had a guide our school who used to bring in a chicken, just a roast chicken from the supermarket, take it out of the packaging and.
Speaker 5: Put in the microwave without putting it on a plate or anything. Oh it's a zappa, and then eat it in his lunchbox.
Speaker 1: It was it's a bus move.
Speaker 3: It was about move. He made the microwave pretty gross for anyone else.
Speaker 2: I mean, I went to school pre microwave, but we didn't ever have a microwave available to the students.
Speaker 3: So with technology brings new problems.
Speaker 1: So let's talk.
Speaker 2: By the way, I think all those films have been covered, not Aliens. The original Alien has been covered by Kersey Weebeck on this podcast, while he did Empire Strikes Back. And our very first episode that kicked this whole thing off was with Tom Gleson watching The Lion King. So you can go back if you're interested in those films and listen to more. Let's get into this. This so in many ways controversial film France Ford Coppola. It's made in nineteen ninety, the year the Pies won the Grand Final, and it's sixteen years after Part two. It's co written by friends of all cop and Mario Puzzo. Albacina returns, Danketon, Tali Shaier. We need to know, Luke McGregor, did you enjoy Godfather Part three? The Coder the Death of Michael Collone?
Speaker 3: So I watched I watched an edited version.
Speaker 2: Did I is the version of French for Coppler has done recently, I mean maybe two years ago. Now there's four minutes difference. It's actually most directors cuts go longer because the studio maybe shortened. This actually was shorter, right, There's not a whole lot that there's some scenes that are just shorter. The main differences are the bookends, that it starts differently, the meeting with it. So this starts with Michael in the Vatican, and that came about thirty minutes into the original film, and it started with scenes of the lakeside house where Fredo was killed and kind of images of that, and then it ended with Michael saying, I think the same scene him sitting down, but him dying, which it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Have that in this.
Speaker 3: It was sitting alone. Yeah, it doesn't die.
Speaker 7: It was it was.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed it. I think the I think the other two, I mean hot take, I probably liked a little bit more, but this one was really sad in that it was.
Speaker 5: And what made it even more potent was the fact that you know his work, you saw him through the two films.
Speaker 3: Works so hard.
Speaker 5: It was it was weird, like he was trying to chase what I think was like happiness and security and family in an industry, you know, in a in that world where it's impossible, where it's so uh, you know, there's so much risk, and to see his I'm ationmer. We can do spoilers on this podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, spoilers, watch watch the film first, and I do I do employ you to watch this. It has been lots and been I've been guilty of saying it over the years. You don't really need to watch three. If you love the first two films, wats three and watch the Coder version.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 5: And you know, to see his daughter be shot at the end, when everything he's worked towards is taken away by a single gun shot on a staircase outside of opera, Like, no matter how powerful he became and how much how hard he worked, it just you know, just one random actla that takes everything away and then he just and then the film finishes with him sitting alone, old and like it was alf and nothing like it was it was.
Speaker 3: It was really beautiful, really sad.
Speaker 1: That's what I really liked about.
Speaker 2: And I think I think the word coder is an important distinction, you know, or something to kind of talk about, because this does feel like I think at the.
Speaker 1: Time, people were like, oh, what do you really need to do? You know, another Godfather film?
Speaker 2: Surely the story is told, but no, I think and in this day and age where Star Wars is doing all these spinoff series and and like this feels like, of course we want to know what happened to Michael Collier and the family. What what are the ramifications of being involved with this life. Michael's alive at the end of the end of part two, like what does his life look like? What does Connie's life look like? I really love that in this that Connie has more agency, Like she is almost a bit of the puppetmaster here. She is pulling string. She's, you know, kind of she knows what Michael did. I think with Freido, but she doesn't say that that loud. She even refers to a drowning. And that's the other reason why I think this film is necessary in a way, because to see the guilt that Michael still has, and even like the idea that that Mary's asking Vincent, is it true?
Speaker 1: Did Michael did my dad kill.
Speaker 5: When he breaks down in front of the priest and you just see it all sort of hit him and yeah, it's it's his decline, you know, it's his if The first and was the rise, and then the second film was sort of him sort of conquerting his position, and then the third film was his decline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's a really important part of his journey.
Speaker 8: This.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really really enjoyed it. But it's just so sad, and it doesn't make me wonder.
Speaker 5: I've always wondered with what you know with that life where it is you know it's this crime and you know you're doing things that are legal and people.
Speaker 3: Are dying, Like what do you hold on to to keep you?
Speaker 5: Because I feel like, oh, humans pursue happiness in some form or another, so what's their moments of joy?
Speaker 3: And and they're so fleeting, But I guess you're trapped. And I can't believe that. I never knew that. That line pulled me back in from Godfather Part three.
Speaker 2: I've mentioned this before, possibly on this podcast. It's maybe outside of he made him an offer you can't refuse. Yeah, he's probably the line that you think of the most. But I think after that, it's that line and that let's have a listen to that scene.
Speaker 4: New over th St. That's natural something. How can you do business with It's gonna meat market?
Speaker 9: Like, I'm a businessman first foremost, I want to no further comfort with him.
Speaker 7: You tell them from me that he can live or he can die.
Speaker 1: Vincent with your stop.
Speaker 4: Stage, Jersey State Believe and the NB I aportant off the ability record. You're possible, that's it.
Speaker 8: You always also, you can't be doing this. Not just when I thought I was out, they pulled me.
Speaker 2: Back in and then a diabetic attack, which I think is a I can lovely touch that. As powerful as Michael Coleone is, he's not immune to nature in a way and his own bodies capabilities.
Speaker 3: I always get reminded of It.
Speaker 5: Was really cooled hit that line too in the original, because all I've heard is the you know, the memes of all the references to it.
Speaker 3: To actually hear it for the first time was amazing.
Speaker 5: It might be in was it Ben Affleck that film Towns or the Town, The Town, and there's this he's talking to a guy who's sort of threatening him in a floral shop, I think, and Benefflex says, what you think you're the only guy with a gun, And then I always I always think about that watching these films, because they're as powerful as these people are. One stray gunshot and they're dead or someone they loves dead, and you don't need a lot of money to acquire one.
Speaker 3: In America.
Speaker 5: You know, they're just they're so vulnerable, but they must get a feeling of invincibility. They must start to feel like they're untouchable. And then and then this film sort of really beautifully just you know, rips it away from him one in terms of just his declining health. His body isn't doing what he wants it to do. And then to see his daughter, you know, which is the one along with his son, Ray of Sun John he's got left gone.
Speaker 3: It's just it's heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: Well, I loved about that scene as well as a lovely touch of having him say to Vincent when he yells at Vincent for it interrupting, which is a lovely It's consistent with the way the family operates. You may remember in the First Godfather, when Sonny talks during one of the meetings that he's having and Marlon Brando, you know, they shuts him down and apologizes and says to me, I spoil my family. Sometimes they don't know when to listen and when to shut up. And so that was a nice touch. What did you think of Andy Garcia as Vincent? So Vincent's dad's Sonny's son, but his mother is the bridesmaid that Sonny had the affair with right in the first like they go to the bathroom and they have sex in the bathroom, and then he visits her again during the movie, I think, just before he gets assassinated. So that's he's like the bastard son Light and that's why he hasn't had maybe a lot to do with with Michael up until this point.
Speaker 1: So what did you think of Andy Garcia?
Speaker 5: I means is amazing, but it was, it was really it was really interesting seeing him. Alputina's character had wanted to go straight and you had this other one who wanted revenge and was that same sort of hot head he was when he was younger.
Speaker 3: But what I was confused by was so he is cousins with Sophia Coppler's character.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So did Michael not want them to get together because it was gross or because it was dangerous or both?
Speaker 1: Thought, I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: And you know, because it's it illegal, it's illegal to have marry your cousin in Australia.
Speaker 1: Rights your Tasmanian discuss this on the mainland. It's certainly I think it's illegal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because and the risk is of birth defects, right, Yes, I think yes, which is a funny one because I do wonder if, like, if let's say there was absolutely zero genetic issue with marrying your your your sister or brother, whether it's solely to protect the offspring, is why assume that's what.
Speaker 1: It's Wait, weakens the gene pool, doesn't it.
Speaker 5: I think so, I don't know how any medical knowledge around it, and I've got two brothers, so it's going to be possible for us.
Speaker 1: You never know, that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, science is amazing.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I was a little bit confused by that because I'm just like, I wonder if that's as much of a faux pa back then and culturally as it is over here now.
Speaker 2: It is, because my instant reaction was, what was that's a bit gross? Yeah, but you're right, Michael. Michael doesn't necessarily it feels like he's saying it more from a protection point of view, like it's it's too it's too dangerous.
Speaker 3: You're bringing her into our world. Our world is too dangerous, as opposed to.
Speaker 1: Just yuck, no, Vincent, what you're related?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You related? Mate, It's it's gross. You can't.
Speaker 2: Everyone's talking about this behind your back all the family functions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's embarrassing. Yes, it's dangerous, but it's more it's more embarrassing.
Speaker 1: I like Andy Garcier, I like Vincent as a character. I like the idea that I think you touched on it that Michael starts out and got father one not wanting anything to do with the family business. And I like that.
Speaker 2: You know, Kay kind of brings that up later on and we'll get to those discussions soon. But I like that as opposed to what Michael was, because Vincent is Sonny's kid, like he wants in, you know. Michael's trying to get out and make the you know, and get out of the business. And he says, I don't want out, you know, I want in. And I think that's as a point of difference. He's really good and also he's really good at what he does, which is always attractive on screen. Let's have a listen actually to Andy garcia in action when he's with Bridge at Fonder, who plays Grace Hamilton, and we don't actually see after this, which is they don't explain in a thing about that, but she's probably understandable that she's had a pretty scary experience journalist is that she's a journalist. I suspect that maybe there's something in the original script that where this was was heading. But because it feels like setting her up as a journalist feels like that it could have been a plot point.
Speaker 5: It feels like you could delete her entire plot line, just have a you know, just have him in bed and then there's an attempt on his life and he stops it. Yeah, I don't understand what her role like. I think she's amazing actor obviously, but if you feel like her story was had no impact on the plot whatsoever.
Speaker 1: It really felt like they were setting up her up to be somebody in this world. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought I thought you'd have a I thought you'd be a main player in the story.
Speaker 5: I thought, or maybe she'd expose them later on, or like they'd fall in love and maybe her journalistic intiguity would go against opposing some she's fall in love with. I thought it was gonna be a whole.
Speaker 2: Thing, or maybe she was reporting on the Vatican deal ye shading this of it and then maybe you know, be a huge plates and had to kill her or something, you know, like something that that felt like it could have been a more interesting angle.
Speaker 1: But he's in bed with Grace.
Speaker 2: Played by Bridge of Fonda, and let's just give a shout out also to Andy Garcia's chest hair. I mean that's that is a dark.
Speaker 3: Beast like it's like a like another blanket on the bed.
Speaker 1: It really, it's like a weighted blanket.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then there's a two men break in and Vincent deals with it.
Speaker 4: Come on, let her go?
Speaker 3: Could talk?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: What did you say?
Speaker 7: He said?
Speaker 4: Kind of fucking throll? Okay, man, he's gonna cut a drop.
Speaker 1: Put You're fucking crazy, I know, but you have God got her?
Speaker 7: What the fuck do act?
Speaker 4: He got no choice? Man, the chick's gonna be dead.
Speaker 7: You hurt her and I kill you both.
Speaker 4: You give up that knife. I let you go?
Speaker 7: You could, he told me right there right, I want to do something.
Speaker 4: To convince you.
Speaker 1: Don't get fine, don't do any sudden.
Speaker 4: Let's just watch me, all right.
Speaker 3: Do you hear what I said?
Speaker 5: Okay? Oh, sh.
Speaker 1: Rap the nuts.
Speaker 3: Ahead, stop it, good boy.
Speaker 4: Sit down.
Speaker 1: I want to talk to you.
Speaker 7: It's a wise choice.
Speaker 1: Sit down.
Speaker 4: I want to talk to lose a mess.
Speaker 7: Relax, have a smoke, you smoke. Whose idea was this who's sench Come on, tell me who sent Take a good look at this guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so who sent you? Joey's O.
Speaker 2: No, Well, that coughing and splurring. He probably should need to do a COVID test.
Speaker 3: I think smoking kills.
Speaker 1: That's the lesson.
Speaker 3: That was the hanging fruit that I went for.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like it was a really cool scene, but yeah, she was sort of introduced and then you just never heard.
Speaker 2: From Reagon, maybe because we know, maybe it was a less I thought, maybe your own actress like that. She's the biggest, you know, starting and I forget because obviously she does single white female and she you know, I'm not sure that was before or after this, but it was almost by the time I had seen it. It was kind of distracting that it was her, at least at the point where like she's going to be somebody, and then when she's not and she's not really mentioned after this.
Speaker 1: It was probably weird, I.
Speaker 5: Guess it just it just set up a lot of stuff where you know, she was trying to get an interview with or trying to talk to Michael with the card and you're like, okay, so she just and they started to fall for each other. There's just a lot of things that looked like they were going to play out somehow, and then all of a sudden she's got, you know, this life changing experience, near death experience, and you're like, okay, has this going to what's this going to do to the relationship?
Speaker 3: And how is this? How are they going to be able to come back from this?
Speaker 5: You know, I'd be pretty pissed if someone told me, if someone knew there was Assassin's in the house and tom me to go get a water, like send me out his bait like sils And I talked about this on Rosehaven, like can you come back from someone jumping behind you in a robbery like using it as a human shield, which is essentially what he did. I thought this was going to be a whole thing, and then there's just nothing.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a great Norwegian film called Forced Desure and which is about which they made a remake and an American remake with Will Ferrell and Julie Luis Dreyfus.
Speaker 1: I think they call it Damn four or something, and which is pretty good.
Speaker 2: But the original Norwegian film is about the family on a ski holiday and they're having breakfast out on the decking of his ski resort, and this avalanche kind of comes down and the dad just gets up and runs, leaving his family behind. It's about them getting over and then then everything's okay and he is kind of walk back in and go.
Speaker 1: You know, that was a bit weird, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: It's about the family, and more so the moum his wife kind of going like, what do you do when your partner.
Speaker 1: Leaves you? She leaves you to die, but then you don't die.
Speaker 5: There's a whole section of our personality that most of us will never ever know, like some sort of life in this situation where you you know, might grab your partner and put them in front of you or something, or will you just run and leave them to save yourself, Like and even though we all I think we wouldn't do that, we'll never know because we'll probably never been, especially hopefully you hopefully never know whether you know, will never been a bank robbery or an avalanche or things like that where it's just like, you know, you hope you're not someone who saves yourself, but you know you might be dating someone right now who would happily throw you in front of her a moving bust to save themselves.
Speaker 3: But you'll just never know.
Speaker 2: Something about Andy Garci's performance. All Andy Garcia's films he does. He's got a great smile, and he can smile in the most where on paper it looks like you shouldn't be smiling. Yeah, you know, like when he's introduced. I'm not sure I you've seen The Untouchables, which is a film that I absolutely adore and love, and I've seen many times when he's introduced and Sean Connery is like racially racially abusing him basically, and he's just smiling almost throughout until he doesn't until he goes okay, that's enough and he takes action. But he's when he's threatening, he can still smile his way through it. There's something, really I'm struggling to think of another actor who who does. I think it's quite unique to Andy Garcia.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's he's one of those actors that looks like there's more going on. Yeah, meets the eye, he's Yeah, there's I feel like a lot of the the best of the best do it. But yeah, it just where it looks like this, you know, machinations playing out and small movements and things like that. It's one of the things I always wonder with writing is how you can have a You can say I want to keep this mysterious or this character mysterious. But the difference between a character that's mysterious and a character that just isn't very well written and has a lot of gaps. It's a tricky line to walk. But you know, an actor like him can can you can bring a lot to only a small amount of story or things like that. You get it because he has so much gravitas.
Speaker 2: And there's always a trick when you when you think you're writing, you do want the audience to have questions in their head. Yeah, yeah, Like you don't want the audience to be writing alongside you. You need to be ahead of your audience so they're kind of thinking okay. But I think particularly in films and like drama, I guess you know, you want to be thinking like who's That's why sometimes movies do start mysteriously and you're.
Speaker 1: Going to think like why are you doing that?
Speaker 2: And you're not supposed to know straight away, But there is a line of like where if you have too many questions, then it becomes confusing. You feel lost and then you kind of start giving up on the film. So it is a fine balance.
Speaker 3: It's I always think about how.
Speaker 5: With Lord of the Rings talk and spend so much time sort of flishing at the Law. But and then so his world feels like it's consistent, it has rules that you can sort of understand, whereas I read another book and maybe I won't tell the author, but I don't know bag them out. But I read one of their books.
Speaker 1: Where it was there'll be a Frankie fishbook.
Speaker 5: No, but there obviously I know you spent a lot of time with the Law, but it was it was the same sort of you know, magic, saucery, fantasy, that sort of stuff, but there was no It feels like they were making up what magic did and the rules as they went along.
Speaker 3: It didn't feel like I had any consistency.
Speaker 5: And you can you can tell even though you knew about the same amount of the world as you did Lord of the Rings. But Lord of Rings felt like it had a cohesion, a congruency with everything.
Speaker 3: I don't know it was. Yeah, I feel like you can tell when the author doesn't know what they did where they're going with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the elephant in the room when we talk about Godfather Pat three is Sophie Coppola's involvement. So she was a last minute replacement for Winona writer had gone to Rome, was supposed to film this and basically passed out in her hotel room through exhaustion. She was, I mean, weinarda writer was hot at this point. I think she just come off Mermaids with Share. Was dating Johnny Depp at the time. That was the famous you know, Whino Forever. Johnny Depp had a tattoo, were known Forever. Then they split up. He got to change to Whino Forever. We went delve too much into Johnny depths to relationships at another podcast it's another counter Worms, it's another podcast. But pulled out and because she was sick or what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just just was exhausted.
Speaker 2: France for Coppola is in a bind and then casts his daughter, who had I think I'm not sure how much I think she really even wanted to be an actual She had some interest, but like you know, I'm not it wasn't necessarily working towards that. Obviously, she becomes this amazing director. Most of the criticism of Godfather Pat three, a lot of it focuses I think really unfairly on her. She wins like razzies, you know which I feel like rais is a fun when you give them to like Sylvesister Lione, or you give them to you know, you know, Arnie or something like that. I feel like giving it to some very cobble under these circumstances is punching down a little bit.
Speaker 3: Did a good job?
Speaker 1: Didn't?
Speaker 5: It didn't because I didn't know any the history of the film before. I didn't know that she was known as someone who was a bad actor in it. Thought so to me watching it, I just thought she was great. And I think it helped too that she had she had really good actors around her, So even if she didn't have a lot of experience, it didn't.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I thought I thought she kept up with everyone.
Speaker 1: I thought it was I thought she completely it was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and I think I think it's not helped by the eakiness of the storyline. And in a way, because she's the one Mary's the one who is coming on to Vincent and being you know, like back in you know, we go back, you know, thirty years ago, it probably felt ickyer for audiences then you know, like they cousins. It's the woman, you know, coming on to the man. I think there are a number of things that would have led people to kind of be put off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like criticizing her rather than.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and knowing the nepotism of but Talia Shay is related here, you know, like to you know, in fact, Talia Shai Connie, who plays Mary's auntie, is actually Sep Coppler's auntie and in real life.
Speaker 1: But I feel like like.
Speaker 2: Coppler coups so much for like the nepotism of this, but like so many people in Hollywood aren't connected, Like Nick Cage is a Coppola.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you never kind of hear that a lot of these And there are absolutely people who've worked hard and reached the top just through you know, liking grit and blah blah blah, but there are also a hell of a lot of people who've been successful who are extremely well connected.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really I thought she was great, especially in the scene where you know Andy Garcia first you know, sort of breaks it off and she's really of like you really sort of feel her pain and that she was I thought she was brilliant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really I really liked her and thought, I think under the circumstances, yeah, I'm like I said, you're watching it claim without knowing any of this, and you really loved her performance.
Speaker 1: And I think.
Speaker 2: Once we even know the circumstances, she kind of came in at the last minute, which basically a non actor.
Speaker 3: Makes it makes it makes it even better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's a really strong performance.
Speaker 5: She's you know, these are some of the regarded these some of the people she's reading with regard to some of the best actors of all time, and I think she did a Yeah. The fact that she's able to keep pace with them on her you know, on this set of what I imagine was a very nerve wracking shot where you've got your dad directing and you're having to fill in the last minute.
Speaker 3: So she killed it.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 2: She probably thinks that various times that did we have to be related? God, do wonder if you took that character out? And this is not no reflection on a couple of bit. More so, what we're talking about before about the bridget Fonda's character that if you kind of go along that way, Michael could still have that conversation about like, you can't you got to give up this relationship. There might be because a lot of it is about family, So I'm acknowledging that.
Speaker 5: So it's almost that they were sort of forced into that, right because if he if he wasn't family, then he couldn't ascend to the top of the chain.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 3: He wouldn't have been able to take on.
Speaker 1: The role of yeah, as godfather and so.
Speaker 5: And so if it was his it was, if it was just a guy outside of it dating the daughter, that wouldn't have worried it needed to be both right that he needed to be in love and related for the for the stakes to be what they were. Yes, yeah, yeah, because if he was to say to someone to do this life, you have to say goodbye to that, like, he couldn't make that because he never did. She left him and he lost it, so he would. The only reason he was able to do it is because he that's his daughter and he said, I'll do this if you let her.
Speaker 3: I don't know it it was the whole thing. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's confusing and maybe that and maybe that was part of it why it was film was criticized this because it didn't have that. It wasn't quite as clear narratively exactly what was well.
Speaker 2: I think those two things going on. There's the whole Vatican deal, which you want something like that happening, and I thought it was a really interesting area to look at. Funnily enough, the Vatican, the Vatican owned the real estate the Paramount Pictures was actually on right and fanciful complot.
Speaker 1: That had no idea about this.
Speaker 2: I think he only found out maybe whilst a film we were after the old filming, or even since they have filmed, which is an interesting tip. It's not the most fascinating part of it, I think it is. I think when they start talking about you know when I love that, Freda kind comes up. And this is why I think actually starting with the Vatican deal is much better than leading with the Freda stup. I like that this comes into it. I think the first time, maybe I might be wrong, but the first time you hear about Fredo is when Mary asked Vincent about is it true that my dad killed Fredo? Yeah, it may come up before then, but certainly when when they're in Sicily, it's it becomes largely about that so I don't think you need it. I don't think Francis for a couple of needed to lead with it. I think it's such a big thing in the Godfather world. You know that Michael ordered the murder of his brother. Yeah, that you don't have the strong arm it into the story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, especially when they talk about family so much and then he killed one of his own.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 5: It was, I think, and I really feel like an asshole bagging at Godfather Part three because obviously it's you know, it's it's an amazing film, but I.
Speaker 1: Guess one of them, you're not the first person.
Speaker 5: One of the things that bugged me little is that it did feel like a lot of its threads weren't necessarily maybe as tightly connected as they could have been. Like it feels like you could probably take out the bad Can deal and just have him be at war with the guy in New York. Maybe he's trying to like they feel that there was like the fact that he had a bigger baddie and the Vatican. Actually, what I thought like ruined the stakes with what I thought was being set up to be the villain who you cared about, which was this is the guy who was running new things in New York and was all about that life while Michael's trying to be not about that life. That felt like, okay, that's going to be an interesting but then they just dismissed him and said, oh no, we've got a bigger enemy, which was the Vatican, which was just done in phone calls, and you had no personal stakes in these people.
Speaker 2: They were just Yeah, I think that's a really good point. I mean that shootout scene that the ambush is brilliant when he leaves, follows him out.
Speaker 3: And you're like, oh wow, I wonder how he organize that, and you're like, oh, he didn't. It was these guys. It was his precy haven't torried about since the start.
Speaker 5: It took a lot of the oh, like I stopped caring at the end, yeah, because I was just like, these guys have no connection, They're just these guys are just a business deal.
Speaker 3: They're a contractor.
Speaker 1: I think it's a really good point.
Speaker 2: And behind the scenes, France for a couple is frustrated that he only had six six weeks to write this Paramount wanted it out for a Christmas release. Oh my god, well nine ninety so imagine imagine writing and directing and producing these two watershed movies that are considered the absolute you know, at the top end of cinema, like the greatest film's ever made. They're in that conversation and then he under a third installment and they say, you've only got six months to write or six weeks to write six weeks.
Speaker 3: Knowing that he only had a month and a half to write it.
Speaker 1: That explains what I think this film is genius.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, because six weeks to write. I mean, what do we spend on Rose Heaven per episode? Maybe maybe two to four weeks i'd say per episode. The fact that he wrote this film that holds up as well as it does in six weeks, that's I mean, this guy's an absolute genius. Yeah, like if he had twice that you know. Yeah, I take back of my criticisms. Godfather p. Three is the work of absolute genius.
Speaker 2: And I imagine franch for Coppola wanted to get to Sicily. It feels right, yeah that they go to Sicily and they do this, Yeah, largely because of you know, the business that the Vatican and also you know, Anthony is performing, which it's a lovely two people who work in the arts. It's a lovely element to it, like having to go to your dad and say, you know, Kate does it, you know for him, but to say, you know, he doesn't want to follow in your footsteps. He he you know, he wants to sing. And this is how Michael would react to it because he never wanted to be part of the family business. So in a way, his son is taking after him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 5: That was a sort of unnecessary. It felt like there was an extra step there, and that Michael didn't want him in crime. And he's like, okay, great, well I want to be a singer, and Mike's like, I want you to be a lawyer as a safet him. Like, Michael, you're one of the richest people on earth.
Speaker 3: You can afford for your son to be in the arts. Okay, I don't know why you need him to have a backup lawyer job.
Speaker 2: You're not reading the papers checking out government funding for the like you're sweating on elections.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're he's gonna be fine no matter what, Like he could just live off. So that was like another extra element of I don't know why he's worried about him not being a lawyer when as long as he's doing something much lucky.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe he wanted that that connective tissue like kind of like because it would have put him somewhere in the middle, like not not necessarily dealing with the crime and not being part of the murky world of the crime, but still that's still connected to the family business where they can he can look after the family without getting his hands dirty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. That's that's true.
Speaker 2: I do like that he comes he comes around, and it's not doesn't become a real focus of the film.
Speaker 1: But he's fighting this. There's too many other things going on.
Speaker 5: It's quite a lovely moment when he just looks and it's lovely to see him proud of his suddenly. He did make that scene where he's in the sun watching his hit Harder, knowing that he was against it at first. But it's just it was just strange, I guess, because it would be like, you know, Jeff Bezos saying to his son, I.
Speaker 3: Don't don't be a singer.
Speaker 5: You know what if you run it, what if it doesn't pay enough, He's going to be okay, He's got you.
Speaker 1: He wasn'tying. It was not saying that.
Speaker 2: I like that they did start of the wedding, you know, it becomes a Godfather kind of tip of the hat and Johnny Fontaine being back, and I quite liked as well.
Speaker 3: Did I did I miss?
Speaker 1: Am?
Speaker 3: I remembering wrong? Did Harvey? Who was the lawyer?
Speaker 1: So Robert de Val did he?
Speaker 3: He didn't die.
Speaker 1: He did not die. There's a quick reference in this that he died.
Speaker 3: There is, Yeah, he just couldn't. He couldn't do the film, or.
Speaker 2: He wouldn't do it because of money dispute. There's a lot of right, there's a lot of dispute about cash going into this film. So al Pacino wanted seven million dollars, they were offering five million. Okay, he wasn't He was almost not going to do it, And Francois A Coupler said, well, would have started with a with Michael, And I'm I'm sure what happens to the rest of the film because Michael sounds pretty important.
Speaker 3: Still, there's a lot of minutes. Really it sounds like a bluff to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he really does sound like a bluff. But al Pacino agreed to do it, but Robert Devall thought he should have. He played Tom Hagen and he's so good.
Speaker 3: He's such a Yeah, his characters are love to him in the film.
Speaker 2: Yes, and George Hamilton plays the family lawyer here, but he doesn't have much to do and he's he's fine. He does what he needs to do, but there's nothing spectacular.
Speaker 3: It becomes sort of a non character.
Speaker 1: He feels like a character being written out. He put in the plug some holes.
Speaker 2: But Robert Devall basically said, it's a talk show where he speaks quite openly about it. He said he got off with one million, and he thought he should have been getting, you know, closer to what Bacino was getting, but they wouldn't budge.
Speaker 1: They would not budge.
Speaker 2: And and he said, if they had to come back and said, you know, three million, you know, like maybe you know three fifths of what Paceno is getting one fifth, then we probably would have got something done. But his view was that this was only to make money. Everyone was just doing this to make money. Why else do this film but to make money? Now, I'd also argue that of course every movie is hoping to make money. Yeah, yeah, But I do think I disagree in that I think there's more substance to this film than what that that suggests.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the studio absolutely by the fact that they you know, they rushed the director to write it. They tried to nickel and dime the actors. But yeah, I don't think I certainly don't think Francis for Coppla would because I'm assuming by then he was pretty financially stable.
Speaker 3: I think he needed to make another one of these. Bid him want too. Yeah, it's a shame too, because God, he was good.
Speaker 2: Didn't he was so good and it would have he would have this added and friends with a couple of Really was was disappointed.
Speaker 3: I really missed him in it. Yeah, he was such a good character.
Speaker 2: What if it did raise I'm not sure how much of it was the rewritten, but how much it raised the presence of Talia Shi and Diane Keaton because that was one of the things. I really enjoyed that both Connie and Kay had more substance and things to do.
Speaker 8: In this.
Speaker 2: And there's a there's a great scene which you might play where Kay talks to Michael about about well, what they mean to each other and the horror of their relationship.
Speaker 4: I spent my life protecting my son.
Speaker 8: I spent my life protecting my family.
Speaker 3: Let's be reasonable. Okay, that's a big thing, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Michael, reason.
Speaker 6: Backed up by murder.
Speaker 8: I dread you.
Speaker 9: I did what I could get to protect all of you from mars in this world, but you became my horror.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I think it's I think it's brilliant.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, she was. I don't get with brilliant.
Speaker 5: What bugged me to about that is it's almost like he's gaslighting her because he's saying, I do what I can proceed from the horrors of this world. And he he's the reason they need protection because of the business he's in. He was a real estate agent or something that they wouldn't need protection. He's he's he's he's brought the horror to their doorstep.
Speaker 1: What is it you?
Speaker 3: Yes, sir? And he's trying to say, or I did all this to protect you, so I wouldn't need it if it wasn't for what you do.
Speaker 2: It's but that's what's amazing about like, you're absolutely right, but it's great from a dramatic point of view. The murkiness of it all, like the murkiness of yes, you're right, what you said is absolutely right. Look that that he's the one who brings the horror in and Kay is absolutely right, and the murkiness is the whole way through and you cannot Yeah, this movie is really about I think the sins of the Father really and they're on this loop like once, and this was set up by Vita Collione like the original Godfather like and this is why I think, you know, that's that final scene and the original god Father three, you see him die in the chair by himself.
Speaker 1: It kind of almost mirrors Vito was with you know, he's a godson in the in the the orchard.
Speaker 2: But it's it's very similar the way they die. They basically die alone, and it's it's it's sad. I like that Michael doesn't necessarily going to see him dyeing. The idea is that death, that Mary's death is kind of death.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was because I thought obviously thought that was he was going to die in the opera, and when she died instead and then.
Speaker 3: He died inside, that was really powerful, I thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it's when he's sort of saying to her, I did all this to protect my family, Like it's almost like he's trying to convince himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah that this is this was worth it.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's yeah, that's really interesting like that, surely Michael's not is intelligent, Like, surely he knows and that's why he's trying.
Speaker 1: To get out as well. Yeah, he's trying to get it because he knows it's dangerous.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I think anyway he can.
Speaker 5: You can see it sort of you can see the sort of reasoning breakdown in front of the priest where he's he just starts crying because he knows that none of this was justified and it you brought this on yourself. He deserves to like I think the priest says, you deserve to suffer or something like that.
Speaker 2: But let's have let's have listened to Michael. Are they in the Vatican. I'm they're supposed to be in the Vatican.
Speaker 3: I think they're in there. They're in the Vatican or something.
Speaker 2: They're in a holy place, I think, very holy place. And it's a very very holy place, extremely holy place. And and Michael, finally the vibe is holy. Yeah, for the first time that we're aware of, confesses about the actions of he took against Fredom.
Speaker 4: Treating my wife God my son. Have you treated myself? I killed men and what it meant to be killed? Gone my son? Gone? Use go on my son. I kill.
Speaker 3: M m.
Speaker 4: I ordered the death of my brother. He injured me.
Speaker 8: I killed my mother's son.
Speaker 5: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 4: I kill boy for us.
Speaker 6: Your things are terrible and it is just that you suffer. Your life would be redeemed. But I know that you don't believe that you will not change.
Speaker 4: You got the episode.
Speaker 1: He does not hold back.
Speaker 5: It's it's amazing. And the sound mixing too, of the running water and the dur birds in the background, the bells, it's like it's quite a picturesque, beautiful sound scatter. You may be listening to to fall asleep to or something like that.
Speaker 3: But he's just saying, no music, no music, and it's shot.
Speaker 2: It's shot like they're in confession with the roses, kind of in the petition in between them.
Speaker 3: It's a good scene.
Speaker 2: It's really good, and I think it's also really done nicely that it follows a diabetic attack. So yeah, because you would wonder, okay, what what brings Michael to confess? But lu Priest I think recognizes a moment, an opportunity, you know, a moment of weakness and vulnerability in Michael that this this may be an opportunity for him to you know, confess.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that sort of near to death experience and you know, now whenever it's and also you know the fact that he's been told to try he can trust this guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's one of my I think it's one of my favorite scenes in all three films. Like it's I just think it's a great. Yeah, it's it's amazing.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed the first half.
Speaker 2: But when they do get to sicily and the more when it becomes more reflective, and this is where the coder element I think comes into it. I think Fancy for a Couple is right in kind of naming it that. I'm not sure how much people think about it when they kind of when they rewatch it, but I think it's worth keeping an in mind that this is it's almost like this is something extra. This is this is you know, this is this is what happens. You know the characters that you loved, that's not that you thought you knew their story. That wasn't that there's more and we need to discuss more. I want to go aback the k as well, So we heard that, yeah, the horror thing earlier. But Michael is in a reflective mood and he does eventually apologize to Kay.
Speaker 4: Forgive me.
Speaker 2: For while.
Speaker 4: Everything, Oh like, uh huh.
Speaker 9: Ah, I I need something a little closer. You couldn't understand back in those days, I loved my father.
Speaker 4: I swore I would never be a man my kid, but I loved him and he was in danger. What could I do? And then later you were in danger, our children were in danger. What can I do?
Speaker 8: You are all that I.
Speaker 9: Loved, valued most in the world, and I won't losing I lost you anyway, You're gone and it was off for nothing. So he has to understand that I had all different destiny planned, all right, that stuff.
Speaker 1: This is a nice reminded I had a whole new destiny planned.
Speaker 3: And him makes you saying it's all for nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know almost.
Speaker 3: The whole theme of the film is that it's all. It can all be taken away, and it's all. This was all pointless.
Speaker 2: It was Because Kay arrives in Sicily and she rejects she doesn't want the family tour that Michael kind of obviously he wants to show her cicily and and how the family are connected here and and and all of that, and and and Kay rejects that. But this is, I guess the moment where they there's some peace made and then there's we others.
Speaker 1: To be founded.
Speaker 2: The weird, slightly weird moment where she jumps into a car she expected to be taken somewhere and then it's revealed it's Michael and he turns around like it's a different movie.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden, it's like surprisingly play for full moments.
Speaker 1: You've never seen Mike coll as playful and as smiley as that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was such a surprise that, yeah, that happened. He did feel like it was from a from a rom com.
Speaker 1: And they go on a little too.
Speaker 2: There's another little furfy that's thrown hi where we think there's somebody with a gun coming up on a bike and they give k flowers. But then there's I think Michael actually asked for the forgiveness. I'm not sure before or after that, but it's around that the Pope gets voted. In interesting note, there's a we could have had a pope Siri apparently only got the eleven votes. Pope there's there's a Siri who got eleven votes when they were going through the votes. It would have been nice, and it's a lovely there's a great moment where the whole Vincent and Michael thing where he kind of anoints him. It's just a good moment where they he's having his dife better attacks and Vincent says, there's an assassin. Like Michael's at a pretty weak moment. He's reflective, he's almost he's confessed, and then they tell him there's an assassin, it's a Sillian assassin coming your way, and that he never fails. It's it's pretty it's I know, I thought that scene was awesome. And then Michael kind of anoints Vincent. And this is why I think Connie is a bit of a puppet master.
Speaker 1: He does.
Speaker 2: She doesn't want to let go of the power. She can see Michael's getting a bit frail now, so she's keen to get Vincent in. And when she comes in, I think it's interesting to note that she walks in and Vincent turns and says it's done. So this is obviously a plan that she had masterminded, I think, to get to get Vincent she's the one who introduced Vincent to Michael earlier, you know, knowing that I think that Michael would have to couldn't reject Vincent his family, you know. So Yeah, I think Connie's role in this is is really interesting.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, it is. It's actually I wanted a bit more of it, to be honest, I did.
Speaker 5: I just think he's so good. But it's also one of the things that confused me. Again, he only had six weeks to write it, so you can't blame him. But and it's still amazing, but the fact that you know it was Vincent, and that it was this guy who's every bit off, and then they all the way through the film, this sort of feels like there's this growing rivalry and then guys gone out of the picture.
Speaker 3: It gets shot.
Speaker 2: What's good about being in Sicily as well is that it does feel like a dangerous place. Even the puppet show that they went on was like quite violent, and there's kids watching it and there's puppets stabbing.
Speaker 5: And that was what was so good about it, I suppose, is it was this beautiful, picturesque, peaceful looking place and he realized, man, this these these to live, this life. You're just in constant fear of your life. Everything's a you know, every crowds of potential a murderer or every every open window becomes a threat.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's a probable way to live awful.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess being really really rich helps, but it's still.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I prefer like a more medium level income, well with no assassination.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where you can, where you can, you know, Yeah, date your cousin and and not feel like shame's from your uncle the dreamer.
Speaker 1: There's a nice there's a nice.
Speaker 2: Touch when they're kissing, you know, Vincent's hand, when he's basically loved that, you know, he becomes Vincent coll And and Kay, So Connie takes Michael out and we see him and the door shuts now on Michael as your Godfather is, which is just a nice tip of the hat to the famous ending of The Godfather. Did it feel like to you that this is sixteen years after The Godfather Part two? Did it feel that Michael Colline was sixteen years older? It felt to me like he was. It felt more like he might have been like thirty years older.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought it was a lot older.
Speaker 1: I thought it was quite late, Yeah, which it doesn't necessarily.
Speaker 2: That was more an afterthought because they don't really say when the film is set, so it could have been it could have been thirty years in the field.
Speaker 3: I guess it wasn't something I really thought about. I just thought he's older.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been through some shit.
Speaker 3: The reason if his kids are grown up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only reason I thought about it is because I thought al Pacino's performance got more Michael a little bit as it went on. I thought, I thought it felt like going from watching like young al Pacino in the original two films to watching center of a Woman al Pacino.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, just a little bit.
Speaker 2: But I think once I get to Sicily, I thought, I don't know, I really I really love that. Outside of that with rom Com moment.
Speaker 3: I also wonder if.
Speaker 5: You probably could have I wonder if you'd gotten rid of the Suns storyline altogether, whether that would have made a difference, either because he had a son who didn't want to take over the business, and he didn't want the son to take over the business, So that means in the plot you probably could have got rid of the Sun, just had the sister, so then he doesn't have anyth then he has to pick a new one, and that's Vincent, because he doesn't want his daughter to take over the business either. I wonder if the son even needed to be there in story wise, even though it made for a nice moment in the opera and things like that. But you could have given that, you could have I feel like you could have made the sister and the brother one character. Yeah, and it wouldn't have lost anything.
Speaker 1: I'm not you're saying, I think it works.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe that's becoming Maybe that's becoming too efficient and losing just what are some nice moments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's something about.
Speaker 10: That.
Speaker 2: Anthony feels even more removed from the family business than Mary does.
Speaker 1: In a way. Mary's still a rat, She's not necessarily trying to doesn't seem that harness any ambition to be part out of that world.
Speaker 3: I guess my my thinking is that perhaps that last scene with him by himself would have been more powerful if he'd lost his only Yeah, because he's still got one kids, wife, wasn't he there and that last thing, like, yeah, the fact that he's lost to lose the only one he loves instead of half so at the end is yeah, it was kind of I don't know. I just thought maybe maybe that would have been more powerful. Again, I mean I don't want to back out.
Speaker 1: I feel like, but Mary Mary shot accidentally, isn't she she is?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, going for her.
Speaker 1: Maybe it would have.
Speaker 2: Been interesting if she was shot deliberately, and then they also took out Anthony as like this is that they were aware of the hell they were actually putting Michael coy kids.
Speaker 3: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: Just kill both, kill both. Yeah, and then you're right, Michael, that does make that last scene or the more powerful.
Speaker 5: Because there's a line in here is then where he says they will go for the ones you'd love, or they'll come for the ones you something like that.
Speaker 3: I can't remember. Yeah, but maybe if they killed both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, powerful people should just just don't go to the opera. That's why I don't go to the opera.
Speaker 5: Look, go but in like a little bit of bulletproof booth or something. Yeah, it's frisky.
Speaker 1: Did you was it a surprise? When did you?
Speaker 2: You mentioned earlier that you thought, Okay, they're going to take out Michael, which I think that's what we are supposed to be thinking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's yeah, I thought that absolutely.
Speaker 1: And it's called a death of Michael.
Speaker 3: And you thought he's going to do on the stairs. Yeah, I thought he's going to die in the opera during a high note. Then he was going to die on the stairs. I just yeah.
Speaker 2: So when when it was revealed that and I thought, it's really well planned, I think, and I think Sophie A Copper does a really good job of, you know, taking that shot and you know Dad, I kind of heard somebody kind of bagging her performance in that scene. I thought, No, I've seen overly dramatic deaths and sometimes it is you're in shock. And I think her last words been Dad was great. Considering like Michael, this is like it's supposed to be the happiest night almost outside of more so than any moment we've seen the Godfather movies, including weddings and all that. This felt like this was supposed to be the happiest moment for the Collie owned family, like yeah, something that wasn't involving crime.
Speaker 1: It was a celebration, a celebration of how proud we have a son.
Speaker 2: Michael and Kay have made some peace, you know, and the families together and the past comes back to haunt them.
Speaker 3: It was Yeah, it was beautiful. I thought that seemed was great, really heart wrenching, but it was.
Speaker 5: It was brilliant. It's enjoying his moment of happiness. I'm assuming it became an inspiration for Angel and Buffy and how when he has a moment of happiness he turns evil.
Speaker 2: I mean, I haven't seen Buffy, but I can only imagine while the influence of these movies on and on and on. Of course, Luke, I mean Rose Haven took a lot of it's cues from The Godfather.
Speaker 1: It was that the original too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do wonder how much if I'd watched these films before writing Rose Heaven, how much I would have put into us, because I always imagine Chris mcquader is a Godfather like figure.
Speaker 3: Like a head of the family.
Speaker 1: She would be amazing, So I probably.
Speaker 3: Would have given her. I probably would have put a few more nods in there than I did.
Speaker 2: And of course, yeah, another Godfather montage done brilliantly. I think in the first one it was the baptism and as others get wax, this idea that you could be in the house of God whilst you know, ordering these hits to be taking place was the work of genius.
Speaker 1: In the original film, It's never too far away, and this is this is a similar thing.
Speaker 2: There's a certain religious overtone about the opera and then what they're what they're doing there, and the iconography is is there for everyone to see, and it's it's just great that those those murders, they're good fun.
Speaker 3: The classes in the neck. Yeah, that felt that felt like it was out of a like a B grade horror. It was. It was so so much blood and yeah, it was the only it was the only time.
Speaker 1: Just like, come on, did you.
Speaker 2: When he was going to him, when he was like, I need to whisper this injurious we knew something.
Speaker 1: We know why.
Speaker 5: And then when his body goes, oh he's clean. I'm sure this will be fine. Just yeah, like I'd be like, well, that's not happening.
Speaker 3: You can tell me.
Speaker 1: Like, it just didn't make any This is not a tradition that I'm aware of.
Speaker 3: It was very loosely. I mean, maybe you could have picked up a litter opener off his desk and use that to stab him. But the fact that he goes, I gotta whispering. You're like, that's fine, come on, real class, there's no problem.
Speaker 1: I'm going to kill him with a blunt and a plastic.
Speaker 5: That whole scene, Yeah, it was like if you just took that scene out and didn't know what it was from and guess what movie this is from, you would I think this is from one of the greatest trileges of all time.
Speaker 2: So some fun facts before we wind up. It's been a lot of fun. We have spoken about Severe Copple. I'm glad that you're on the same page as I am. In fact, you come to it a bit fresher, not having seen it and not knowing that the history behind it. With all that said, she did have to read dub twenty percent of her original dialogue in ADR. Apparently she couldn't pronounce collion. She was mispronouncing collione.
Speaker 1: I wasn't. I'm not sure why that wasn't picked up on the day.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, that's true.
Speaker 5: Like that, Benedict, come aback penguins, penguin Gate, Well, tell me about that.
Speaker 3: He can't say there was a documentary. He did, he did commentary for documentary. He couldn't say penguins.
Speaker 10: It wasn't a documentary about said animal. It was a documentary about I think about the South Pacific in general. I know, I'm completely terrified.
Speaker 4: Of the words.
Speaker 1: I don't go near.
Speaker 10: And the last thing you might expect to see here.
Speaker 4: Is penguins.
Speaker 10: These are Fjordland crested pengwins, named after this corner of South New Zealand. So why are these woodlands so attractive to pengwings? A fresh water stream through the forest makes a handy highway for a parent pengwing heading home from the fishing pot.
Speaker 1: That is, I had no idea that was the thing. Well, there you go, seve A Coppler, You're not alone.
Speaker 5: I had to dub over about I reckon maybe thirty five percent of my first season of Rose Heaven because I was mumbling, I wasn't talking from I end up going to.
Speaker 3: A speech therapist.
Speaker 5: I've always been a mumbler and stumbled on words and things like that, but that was the first time I saw an actual speech therapist too, because I was just having to do so much redubbing in idea and still wasn't sounding as clear as I could And I'm not certainly not prefering now when he stretched the imagination.
Speaker 3: But I was terrible on season one and some of its really hard to hear her.
Speaker 2: Everybody go back in wa season one of Rose. Yeah, let us know your tweet, Sophi a Coppler like no, so a couple of fun facts. Frank Sinaci, you may be aware, wasn't was really against The Godfather originally being made because he thought Johnny Fontaine was based on him, which arguably it was. But after the success of the first two films, he was actually keen to play Don Ottobello, who's like the older Don who leaves at the before everything gets bassed up and joins him in sicily, but then he said no because the money wasn't enough again money issues, so he went to Elo Wallack, who played Dontabello. Ironically because Sinacha got his role in From Here to Eternity, which is I think made in like fifty six or fifty eight, when Eli Wallack backed out due to pay. So swings in a roundabouts right, Schaefer, this is quite sad. Was an actress Sophia Coupler coming into the Last Monte for when not a writer Rebecca Schaeffer was due to be given the scripts and on the day is due to receive that.
Speaker 1: Script, she was murdered.
Speaker 4: My god.
Speaker 2: So it kind of feels like when that happened, you kind of go, maybe this role is cursed and we should just right up to the Bridget Fonder end of the you know, make her one of the characters or something.
Speaker 3: I don't know it he's just said about Superman too. Didn't they that that role was christed for a while or the actor that plays it all?
Speaker 5: Yeah, like it was either injury or career ending in some way, like they'd say the actor didn't. I think it got proved wrong then, because you know, Tom Walker ended up going on to play quite a bit in it. Lucifer I think maybe, and then obviously Henry Cavill's killing it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think it was. I think it was because it was that run.
Speaker 1: Of Christopher Reeves in this and then.
Speaker 3: One in Lewis and Clark Lewis and Clark D. Kaine and then Brandon Ruth and none of them.
Speaker 1: Really went on to write make more things.
Speaker 5: I mean, obviously Christopher Reeves was brilliant but tragically injured but probably would had a massive career.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and the final and I'm doing a bit more fun final. Sometimes not all the fun facts are fun. Sometimes it's a bit misleading, but the.
Speaker 3: First you call them all fun facts, including that murder one.
Speaker 1: One wasn't a fun fact. Sometimes you know you need to.
Speaker 3: Did you change the title then to facts facts? Some fun facts and some other.
Speaker 2: Facts should be a warning when when there's incoming not fun. The final fun fact and this is is fun. The Godfather films are the first of only two trilogies to have all three films nominated for Best Picture? Can you name the other trilogy?
Speaker 3: Do you have the trilogy for Best Picture?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is it star Wars?
Speaker 2: Not Star Wars more recent, more recent, more recent than Star Wars and the original trilogy at list?
Speaker 1: All right, very big, very big, you kick yourself. I'm sure Lord of the Rings, Lord of the Rings is correct. Look you get a you ain't seen nothing yet hat which we haven't manufactured yet or made. But if we ever do, first one's coming away.
Speaker 3: My head's ready, is ready, and you'll be son smart. Does the podcast have any merch? Does it not yet?
Speaker 1: Not yet?
Speaker 2: We'll have to look into if you want requesting merch. Yasney Podcasts at gmail dot com, where you can contact this for anything.
Speaker 1: We love to hear from you, Luke McGregor.
Speaker 2: This podcast comes with homework, and you have not only is your third return which makes us our favorite guests, but three films with hefty running times. You've probably invested ten hours of viewing for this podcast.
Speaker 3: And lowest rating episode each time, which is unfortunate.
Speaker 2: I wasn't going to bring that up. I wasn't going to bring that up. Did Derek tell you that? He wasn't supposed to tell you.
Speaker 3: That, But that was as soon as I came in, he said, mate, what are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Can you live?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Give us something?
Speaker 5: Gregor, Oh, no, happy to. I'm really glad I got to say him actually, because it was it was like when I first watched there was a period where I just went back and went, Okay, I'm just going to watch some old films. So I went and watched Rambow, and then I watched Rocky and all these films I had never seen before.
Speaker 1: I love that Rambo was your first one. I want to go.
Speaker 5: First person was Rocky actually right then Rambo. Then I went a bit of a Silvesters to their own binge. But then Godfather was always going to be there. There's a bunch of like now I'm going to go back and watch Scarface I think, and some other ones like that that I've never seen.
Speaker 1: Well, mate, it's an open door policy for your good self.
Speaker 3: And what was one you said that earlier in the piece that you loved.
Speaker 1: Oh the Untouchables.
Speaker 2: Yes, watch the Untouchable and watch Jean Connery, Kevin Costner. That's I mean, that's a Robert that's a good cast. Written by David Mammontt, directed by Brian Depalmer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, okay, that's on the list now.
Speaker 1: Suits by Hugo Boss.
Speaker 3: I'm in.
Speaker 2: I think it's Hugo Boss for such you it might be here any whatever, mate, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You are a great mate and a legend and we'll see you soon.
Speaker 3: Thanks havingbody looking forward to that merch droph.
Speaker 1: Well, that was fun.
Speaker 2: Massive thanks and props to Luke McGregor for sitting down and watching almost ten hours of Godfather films. Really glad he enjoyed it. Really relieved and glad that he enjoyed Godfather Pat three. If you haven't seen it, well you've had a lot of spoilers, but check it out. I watched it when I was in my teenage years and probably had already heard that it wasn't as good as the first too, and took.
Speaker 1: A lot of that baggage in with me, but I thought it was great.
Speaker 2: Okay, we've got a few more weeks left of season four off you ain't seen nothing yet. Some big movies and guests coming up. If you want to get on to us, you can write to you at yasny podcast at gmail dot com, or get onto our speak pipe through the links and you can leave us like an answering machine.
Speaker 1: Message.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, isn't it Derek Derek Mayer some Gasway Studios dot com.
Speaker 10: Hey, Hey, go yeah, get on that speak pipe, drop a message, say what you want, talk about your favorite movies.
Speaker 2: We can hear your voice and you'll become part of the U ain't see nothing yet family. Leave any questions you have, any requests for other movies or guests.
Speaker 1: We would love to hear from you. I really enjoy.
Speaker 2: We're going to organize a live show soon, our second live show. Looking forward to that. I'll announce when all that's confirmed. But coming up if some of the movies we got coming up include if you want to get ahead in your viewings, we have requested that we kind of put out some of the movies so they're not as rushed in trying to watch it. To listen to the episode, we're going to be looking at Lost in Translations soon, We're going to be looking at Puns Druke Love soon, one of my absolute favorites. And next week on the show Very Funny Man and comedian Ben Russell is hosting a new show, a pilot of a show that will be on Tenplay. He co hosted with Jennyfricka. It's called Time to Die. It's a fantastic concept. I've actually seen the episode they made. It's two comedians, in this case Tom Cashman and Sonya Diorio, and they basically have to write each other the worst set they can possibly come up with. Then they have to go out and perform in front of a real life comedy club those routines that are deliberately written badly. It's called Time to Die. It'll be on Tenplay. I think I'm abound about the twenty seventh of June. We'll have more details next week. But Ben Russell, who Very Funny Man, did some Hollywood tours recently the Melbanney International Comedy Festival and around the country that we're revolutionary as far as comedy is presented. So very funny man, great guy, and he's going to be discussing the nineteen eighty two Martin Scorsese classic, which maybe gets left behind when we talk about Scorsese films, we often focus on Taxi Driver or The Departed, but we're gonna be talking about the King of Comedy.
Speaker 1: If you haven't seen it, check it out.
Speaker 2: Robert de Niro, Jerry Lewis, Sandra Bernard's in it. It's an incredible film. If you saw Joker recently with work in Phoenix, this is a big touchstone as far as an influence that isn't Taxi Driver. So the King of Comedy next week with Ben Russell. Can't wait to get stuck into it. Until then, take care by
Speaker 10: For now, and so we leave old Pete see Van sal and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.