Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week Airline. Welcome back to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors and casting agents, plus the talent we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that you're currently watching and gives you a better insight into our television industry and our streaming services today. On the podcast, I have one of Australia's most celebrated athletes who has braved the mass singer Australia and one over more fans with her emotional performance. It is Lisa Curry. While the Caterpillar had the panel stumped, it was high emotions when the gold medalist was second to be booted from the hit show. I think there wasn't a person in the audience that wasn't crying, and I for one had the tissues out. The country has been following Lisa's journey for decade, but with a family tragedy recently, we have all watched as she has tried to put her life back together. The show was an emotional way for her to express her emotion and it certainly looked like a challenge for her, and it appeared to be maybe a little bit cathartic at the same time. We will talk about the reasons why she chose to do the show, the upfront approach with Hughsey, how she felt singing without a mask, and if she's still second guessing saying yes to the whole thing. However, let's get started with today's special guest, Lisa Curry, who is ready to unpack her unmasking on the Mask Singer Australia.
Speaker 2: I couldn't be further from my comfort zone. The master back, bigger, better, maskier.
Speaker 1: Than ever.
Speaker 2: That mask I couldn't move around in much.
Speaker 1: Well may be able to work out which celebrity is behind each mask.
Speaker 2: I really loved my second song that I'd practiced.
Speaker 1: I feel like I definitely got your beautiful full spirit coming through way.
Speaker 2: Some really good singers on there. What the heck was I doing on there?
Speaker 1: So much riding?
Speaker 2: They came over on the pretense that might have been my son.
Speaker 1: Hi, Lisa, how are you a caterpillar?
Speaker 2: To you? Thanks? Ben?
Speaker 1: How are you feeling after watching the show back last night?
Speaker 2: Well, I watched it with about twenty friends. So they came over on the pretense that might have been my son on the show. But as soon as Caterpillar started singing, they all just started cheering and jeering me and they said, it's you. It's you, because I know my voice. So if we had a big night and it was so much fun. I had my grandson, my four year old grandson, sitting in my lap and he said, Grannie, that's the song that we sing in the car. He said, that's Grannie, that's Grannie, And it was so it was so much fun. And I think the most fun part for me was hearing Osher announced it was me. It was like better than any swimming race call that I've ever had. So it was fun. It was so much fun.
Speaker 1: You know what, Your supporters get so much joy out of your adventures. And it was only a little while ago with the Australian story where you talked about, you know, needing to get out and have some adventures. There is something quite joyous about seeing you succeed.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, yeah, I know I get the support and I love people. Is this what I've been doing, and I am a real people person and I've tried my best to with everything that I do try and leave a message of some sort so that people know that no matter what they're going through, they're not alone. And we're very understanding. We have a lot of empathy and it's what I do in my business as well, where we have over half a million women in our Facebook group pages on Happy, Healthy You, and we talk to them every day about you know, life in general and getting outside your comfort zone and looking after yourself. You're not alone, all that sort of thing. So it is, yeah, it's lovely to have the support. I was completely completely outside my comfort zone though I couldn't be further from my comfort zone than singing and you know, on national television.
Speaker 1: To be as emotional as I was watching the show seemed really out of left field. But I just want to say thank you for saying yes to this opportunity, as it really touched me personally. It provoked a huge response from everyone I know who watched it, So thank.
Speaker 2: You, really. I mean, I know Chrissy got quite emotional. I couldn't look at her. I couldn't look at her. I would have burst into tears and knowing that I had to sing again, I just wouldn't have been able to. So I had to, you know, I had to put on my other mask, which was being really strong when you don't feel like being really strong. And you know that's the case with a lot of people walking around the streets too. You know they're all wearing a mask of strength, and you know you laugh and have a good time, but then you feel guilty for having a good time. So there's lots of different different emotions and masks that we wear every day.
Speaker 1: I guess for some context, I lost my brother in law last year in October, and I've watched my mother in law really struggle with this, and I'm searching for a way in which I can say to her to be happy and wanting her to still get on with her life.
Speaker 2: It's so hard to just go back to being yourself. I think sometimes just getting out of bed and getting one thing done is a real success. So if you can just give her a really big hug from me, and I will do it. And I do know, like I do know, everything will be okay in time. It just takes time, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what's on your face. That's what was on your face last night. But to give you that context, it was so powerful. It was really powerful for you to be on a show and to continue to share your story. I think a lot of people who have lost or are suffering from a loss in a family got something out of your bravery last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's it's nice to hear. Thank you for that. It was you know, like I said, I needed a bit of joy in my life, and singing does that. Music can do that for you. My husband's and entertainer, so when I go to his gigs, you know you can sing along. You can have I've only just started getting up and having a little bit of a jig again because I couldn't. But singing is it is joyful, and I sing out. I think I represent all the people who think we can sing. We sing out loud, We sing in the car, in the shower, I sing on the mower. And then when you hear yourself back, oh maybe I shouldn't sing at all. I actually said to the producers, I'm not offended at all if you want to get somebody else, because that sounds awful, And they said, no, no, no, you've got to keep practicing, and you know, so I did keep practicing to the point where probably was quite reasonable for me. But even my son he said, oh Mom, that's actually better than I thought it. Like, the whole experience was just it was just one of the best things that I've done. It was so much fun.
Speaker 1: Well, that song by Tones and I really an emotive song for you. Had you had a relationship with that song prior to the mass singer.
Speaker 2: No, I'd never heard that song before. The producers sent me that song and they said, do you like this song? Would you like to sing it? And so I googled it and it was so fun. It was a you know, uplifting sort of song. You know, it was a cartoon. She was in a coombe and I have a comby and you know, the words were lovely to find the Sun on a cloudy day, and you know, it just sort of resonated with me and everyone else, and I thought, you know what, that's a that's a fun song to sing. So I was really happy about it.
Speaker 1: You've been in the public eye for most of your life and we have watched your highs and lows. Is it hard to have an audience or does it feel surreal to still have this audience that follows you after so many years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a long time, you know, forty years I've actually been in the public eye. And that was my comment to Melby last night when she said something. I thought it might have been a swimmer, and I said, I'm old. But to put that in context, what I meant was, I've been around probably more than she's been alive. So I didn't know if she even knew who I was from so many years ago. And I said to Abby that, you know, she wasn't even born when I was in the public eye, so I was unsure whether they would even know who I was. But I took the mask off. But I've had a great life, and I you know, I've just released my book, which has been amazing, and you know, I hope that I can write another book, you know, in thirty years time. I have every intention of you know, living a long life, but you just never know when your last day is. And as we know that from Olivia Newton, John Passing, and Judas Durham passing, we're all going to die at some point, you know, and we don't let last forever, so we do have to make sure that we wake up and have the best day that we can and find the sun on the cloudy day.
Speaker 1: Did you get a chance to chat with Chrissy Swan after the show? I mean, I know, she's so great with her words and what we got to see was quite powerful, But I don't know, did you appreciate her ignorre knowledgement of your situation?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course. And when she came over, you know, she was still very emotional, and you know, everyone came and gave me a big hut and we had a selfie together, and then Chrissy and Abby were singing. Those two can both sing very well. Yea, but yeah, it was just it was just really nice. And the panel I think are amazing, as much as I love the other panel as well. Mel and Abby and Chrissy are just just beautiful, beautiful people. And Husey, I mean, who doesn't love Hughsey. For whatever people have seen of Abby in the past, she's doing a really good job. She comes across so well on TV. And Melby is just she's a beautiful human being, and Chrissy is I just I love all of them. They're just great.
Speaker 1: There's some serious warmth to those women. The interaction though with Hughsey was really funny and honest, because that's got what we kind of expect from you in a way. Were you just on autopilot or were you secretly hoping you could have that moment with Hughsey The way that it played out, Oh, it just.
Speaker 2: Well, everything just happened. It just all happened so quickly, like you take your head off and my head just wouldn't come off. It just was kind of stuck. I had to sort of undo things underneath. And because that mask, I couldn't move around in much. I could use my hands as like little slippers, and it was like it was quite a heavy mask. I was weighing heavily on my shoulders, but trying to get the head off was hard. And then once you're out and everyone's so excited it so everyone's throwing questions at you, and it's like, oh, you know, it just all happens in the moment. It was pretty funny actually, And there.
Speaker 1: Were some real really serious curve balls in those clues. Did you think they were well done or were even you confused listening to those those confusing questions that were supposed to allow audiences to guess that it was you.
Speaker 2: Well, when they do the clues package, that's when I've just walked out on stage, so of course my heart was raising, my legs were jelly, you know, I was ready to sing so and the crowd was loud as well, so it was hard to actually hear the clues. And even here at home last night, everyone was chatting and laughing, you know, through the whole thing. So I did see someone ironing which looked like a crowched rug, which I eye croacheder, and I'm thinking that iron was maybe an iron man, which is probably grand. Yeah, so I was thinking, maybe that's the connection. So but I have to watch it back again because I kind of I need to watch it on my own because there was so much banter, and once they heard me start singing, they knew it was me because of my voice, and everyone was high fiving and cheering and slapping me on the back and carrying on. So, yeah, it was pretty funny.
Speaker 1: Well, I laughed out loud when you said that you were starting to second guest saying yes to the show, But then talking to you this morning, you know, it sounds like you've really decided it was a good thing.
Speaker 2: Well, it was. It was fun, but I was very conscious of how I sounded like. I didn't do you know what I mean like this, Now that I've seen obviously two shows, and I was leading up to the shows, I saw the promos and I thought, wow, I had some really good things. Is on there? What the heck was I doing on there? But at the time, you know, I was very conscious of how I was going to come across and how I was going to sound, because they did film me in my rehearsal, and to be honest, I sounded like shit. It was really bad because you know you've got to get it right, and it's just it's like swimming at the Olympics. You know, you get one shot at it and you've got to make sure that everything works out perfectly. And so in my change room, I was singing in my head. I had my eyes closed. I was doing the actions, but then you have to put the costume on and you're sweating. It's heavy, the crowd's going nuts. I nearly missed my queue to start because I couldn't hear. And you just hope that everything works out well because you only get one shot at it, and if you mess it up, it's the moment's gone. Well.
Speaker 1: I can't speak for everyone, but I really like anyone being authentic, and I could hear the authenticity in your voice and in your singing. And whilst yes, you might not be one of the trained singers that's been hidden amongst these masks, you're performing has been the best thing we've seen this year, which might be a shock to you, but it was because it came from a place of genuosity.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, thank you. You're making me want to cry.
Speaker 1: I cried when you took the mask off and I watched you sing it, and I just looked at your face, and I mean, I'm in my forty so I grew up with you. I mean I had breakfast with you every morning. You're my mom sent me off to school with Uncle Toby's music bars, like I've been in your audience for so long. And yeah, I mean when you took the mask off and you had to sing without the head on, was that a different emotion again? Was that a different experience again? Having to sing that a little bit without the mask on?
Speaker 2: Yes, that was terrifying. And that's one of the reasons why I couldn't look a Chrissy Tips. I thought, now, don't get upset, don't cry, because I knew I had to sing again, and you can't sing when you're crying. You just can't. So I had to, you know, I had to put with that wall up, and I had to think, right, I had to do my job here and I have to sing again. But funnily enough, I actually really enjoyed it, even though it was terrifying. I enjoyed it because all I had to do was what I've been to sing for weeks and weeks and weeks. On end, I was a little bit disappointed that I went out, only because I really loved my second song that I'd practiced and I wanted the chance to sing that as well. But you never know, it might come out on my new album or something.
Speaker 1: Tell me what is it? I mean? I got to ask Ryan Maloney yesterday and he was disappointed with his second song. Can you tell me what that second song was going to be? What do we miss out on? Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was ain't No Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gay. Oh, I love that song.
Speaker 1: Love that song. Put that on the edge of the.
Speaker 2: Song that can go on the album?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's an EP? Is that like three songs or six songs? Three songs?
Speaker 1: Maybe you look it sounds like I should know what that kind of lingo is, but I am just that little bit too old to have no idea what you're talking about. But yes, definitely release an album.
Speaker 2: See, my husband is an entertainer, so he's on stage every weekend, and every now and again he comes and puts the microphone in my face, and I just like, no, no, no, no, I don't sing. I don't sing. I'm not singing, you know. And you know, with the sad passing of Olivia Newton John today, you know, Mark does Danny Zuko as well, and there's a great grease and every now and again he comes and puts the microhross come on, be sandy for me, and I can't be sandy.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 2: I don't sing. But maybe for a tribute to Alviya Old, I might try and give it a go at some point.
Speaker 1: Please, do I think if you put that the entry ticket, you are going to sell that out, girlfriend, like people will come in grooves and just remember us, people don't necessarily want to hear the best singers when it comes to entertainment. We want truth. We want honesty. There's more to entertainment than being a pitch perfect singer. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And sadly Judith Durham passed away as well from the Seekers. Now, I grew up with the seekers. And I saw her at a conference that I was at and she got up and sang, and I went and saw her afterwards, and I said, oh, my god. You know, it's amazing how beautiful your voice still is. Because swimming is something that you do for a moment in time. It's not something that you continue for the rest of your life. But singing you can sing forever, you know. And that's what I learned from her on that day, that singing is such a gift to have. And you know, my husband does it every weekend, so I get to listen to him every weekend. So maybe maybe I should find a little bit more confidence. And when he puts that microphone in my face, maybe next time I will stand up and have a go.
Speaker 1: Have you forgotten how many people in Australia rewatch your swims like the Commonwealth Games? My goodness, Like, I think I've watched that so many times in my life because it's so inspiring. It might not be music. But you have been immortalized on YouTube forever with people being inspired by how amazing it was for you at that time to get back in the pool after having your daughter and being able to swim. I mean still to that day, you are impressing your audience like.
Speaker 2: It has been a real journey. And luckily I was able to put it all into my new book, which you know, I'm still doing really well. And you know, I can at least my kids know my story. At least my grandchildren will oh my story, and I'll never have to wonder what granny thought or you know anything about my sport. And you know, I had such a great career. I loved it so much, and I only did it. I continued with my sport because I felt like I had more to give, regardless of whether you have children or not. And to be honest, if I could do, if I could have my career all over again, I would start tomorrow. That's how much I loved it, Loved every moment of it. Loved the people, love my coaches, love the you know, there's stress and anxiety and the jelly legs and nerves before getting up onto the blocks, and but there comes a time when you can't do it anymore, So just have to take on new opportunities. And that's what the singing the mask singer gave me.
Speaker 1: Well, there's more races for you may not be in the pool, maybe not singing, but I know and you can hear it in your voice. They've got plenty still left in you. Something that I always ask everyone who joins the podcast is what is something from behind the scenes that we as an audience did not see that we would love to know from behind the scenes of your time on the masting In Australia Season four.
Speaker 2: I had an ex sas minder who used to check the toilets to make sure there was no one in there. When he had to take me to your peak. There you go, and of course because I was so hot in the mask, he'd stick a tube in for me so I could drink some water. But then when you drink a lot of water, you've got to go to the toilet. So I was constantly going to the toilet. This poor guy had to sort of like scan the corridors to make sure there was no one there so I could go to the toilet. And in fact, I said to him, this is this is terrible, terrible thing to ask you. But I said maybe I should just pee into a bottle or something, you know, in the suit because it was too it was too hard to take on and off just to go to the toilet. So we had a cup on standby, but I didn't have to use it, thank goodness.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like you never want to see that person again as well, you know, someone that helps you out like that, You're like, thank you so much, You've been amazing. Now never, I never want to see you again because you know too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, look everyone, everyone and there was so accommodating, and you know, because I'm really friendly, I'll say hello to anyone. But it felt really weird not being able to converse with anyone, Like I wanted to say morning or how are you? But you can't even you can't speak, You can't look at anyone. You know, You've got to keep your head down, your mark. We had these like these hooded black coats on, so we looked like you know, space aged Ninja's or something, so no one knew who we were. Yeah, it was all very very secret.
Speaker 1: He well, I just want to say thank you so much for your time. To come and chat and unmask the mask singer with me and unpack a little bit of that. It was a fantastic experience watching you and being in your audience for as long as I have been, So thank you. This has been an amazing opportunity to chat with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you so much. Ben appreciate it.