Speaker 1: You are now entering the court of Judge Gina Leano.
Speaker 2: Even the closest of friendships are not immune to a lost connection through distance. When there's more than a disconnected at stake. You come to my courtroom. I am Judge Gina, and my decision is final. You better be ready to hear my ruling.
Speaker 1: A friend is someone you can call upon in the good times and bad. But when is it time to hang up on a friendship? Marley has brought Tilly to Judge Gina's courtroom for final say over her phone etiquette. He is seeking a public apology from Tilly and one thousand dollars to compensate for the time Tilly has taken from him.
Speaker 3: My name is Marley Bandello and you would know me best from winning Big Brother Australia twenty twenty one.
Speaker 4: My name is Tilli Whitfeld. I'm twenty three years old. You may know me from the twenty twenty one season of Big Brother, or from social media, or from tattooing freckles on my face and copying a TikTok.
Speaker 3: I have come to Judge Gina today because I have had such an issue with my relationship with Tilly around her terrible, awful, disrespectful phone etiquette.
Speaker 4: Marley Biandolo has summoned me here because he has issues with my phone etiquette and he's pathetic and thinks that hanging up without saying goodbye is an issue for some reason.
Speaker 3: I want to get to the bottom of this phone etiqutte situation. I need a formal apology from Tilly, admitting to all of her wrongs, all of her disrespect and rudeness. I also want to be compensated a thousand dollars for all of the time she has taken away from my life that I can't get back.
Speaker 4: I want Judge Gina to agree with me, because this is a completely pathetic reason to bring someone to court and it's a complete waste of my time.
Speaker 1: Court is now in session. Please rise the judge Gina.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, Chilly and Marley.
Speaker 3: Judge Gina, Marley, you've got.
Speaker 2: A claim against your friend Tilly. Is that right?
Speaker 3: I absolutely do, Gina, Judge Gena or Gina.
Speaker 2: Judge Gina ginak So, Tilly, do you know about this claim or is this catching you unaware?
Speaker 4: I do know about this claim. Yes, this has been going on a while.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Marley, tell me what your case is about.
Speaker 3: Okay, So my case, Judge Gina, is about Tilly's phone etiquette, which is absolutely awful. Phone etiquette is something I think it should be a staple inhumanity in our lives. Phone etiquette, to me is up there with manners, pleases and thank you, and Tilly absolutely has zero phone etiquette when it comes to text, when it comes to phone calls, when it comes to saying goodbye on a phone call?
Speaker 4: Sorry, but how has this got anything to do with manners?
Speaker 2: If you respond yet, I just have to wait a second, Okay, So I'm just going to ask you just a couple of questions before we go on with that. How do you two know each other? And how often are you talking on the phone?
Speaker 3: Tilly and I met on Big Brother three years ago and we've been talking ever since. So I have been putting up with three years of absolutely awful, awful and rude, despicable phone etiquet from Telly.
Speaker 2: Well you don't have to, you know that.
Speaker 3: Well, that's why i'me I've come here today because I'm actually I'm trying to clear this up. And if we don't get it cleared up today and I don't get some sort of apology or some sort of I guess reimbursement of money, then our friendship might be going out the door.
Speaker 2: All right, Well that sounds a bit harsh. But so you met on Big Brother, but you're in Melbourne and Tilly is in Sydney, so tell me about that.
Speaker 3: So I'm over here in Melbourne and Tilly's over there in Sydney. But we have created a very close friendship. So we do stay in communication almost every day.
Speaker 2: Are you romantically involved?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not. This thing from did a.
Speaker 2: Shocking look on everyone's face. Okay, So you met on Big Brother and you actually one Big Brother? Is that right?
Speaker 3: I did? I did?
Speaker 2: Ye? Wow? Okay? And where were you in the in the firing line, Tilly? Were you evicted or what happened?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I was evicted twice.
Speaker 2: How far in were you evicted?
Speaker 4: Maybe four days five days out?
Speaker 2: Okay? So you forged a real friendship during the recording of Big Brother. How many weeks did that go for?
Speaker 3: So it went for two and a half months actually, And Chilly and I from the start we're best friends in the house and best friends up until the end, and obviously coming out and you've.
Speaker 2: Remained best friend. Yes, that's right, okay, and you stayed in touch.
Speaker 3: We did straight away, like you right away, it didn't stop.
Speaker 2: How long ago we're talking about twenty twenty one, so it's been.
Speaker 3: Two years almost three actually.
Speaker 2: Almost three es of phone calls that you two have. Do you catch up very often or is it always just over the phone?
Speaker 3: Well, for the most part it is because she being in Sydney and me and Melbourne. Yeah, it's usually over the phone.
Speaker 2: So how many times a day would you speak on the phone? Once a day, every second day, once a week.
Speaker 4: What do you think till I'm going to go at least every second day, probably second a.
Speaker 2: Couple of days.
Speaker 3: For a long time it was every single.
Speaker 2: How long do the phone calls go for? What are you ringing each other for? Do you talk about your love life? Do you talk about what you ate for dinner?
Speaker 3: Sometimes sometimes there isn't an agenda, which is also a part of this piece, Judge Gina. Sometimes Tilly will call me with absolute nonsense, soon to just hang up the phone and not really tell me about what the reason was for calling me.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you say, Tilly? Do you agree with that that you became really good friends filming Big Brother, and you've stayed in contact.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, I do agree. I don't think that I call to talk nonsense. Sometimes I call and I forget why I called.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that could be a nonsensical phone call. You could have mentioned you, But so what happened? Is that a bit like when you open the fridge and you can't remember what exactly exactly?
Speaker 4: Yes, like I crashed my car and then I forget why I called, or like something.
Speaker 3: Happened, And that's serious that Actually this is what this actually happened.
Speaker 2: You crashed your car and you called and you couldn't remember why you called.
Speaker 4: Well, this morning I called him and then a lady beaped me and told me to stop doing my makeup at the traffic lights. So of course the call was interrupted.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, and then what so then you were confused about why you're called? Is that what you're saying? All right, Well, you know you're not meant to be doing your makeup at the traffic I.
Speaker 4: Didn't know that was a thing till today.
Speaker 2: Well, it's actually illegally you're allowed to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I won't do that again.
Speaker 2: Do you agree that your phone etiquette is a little bit off kilter.
Speaker 4: Look, I don't really have an issue with it, no, because well you died.
Speaker 2: Because you're not on the receiving end of it, and that's your your way communicating. But I'm going to ask Maley give me an example, So.
Speaker 3: Got plenty, Okay, just start with one. All right, let's let me hit you with one, Judge Gina. She calls me about Obviously the call is something centered around her, which I have no problem around. I absolutely love listening to two funny stories about Tilly. But yeah, let's just say she calls me, she starts talking nonsense about some topic that's happened to her today, and we get to the end of the call, Judge Gina. And at the end of the call, there's usually a gradual process where you know, you start to fade out and you're about to say goodbye, all right, lovely talking to you, thank you for thank you for taking this phone call and listening to me. You know, there is absolutely none of that. No, no, no, I do do that. Yes, I definitely do that. But Tilly, what Tilly likes to do is Tilly likes to just say all right bye or just all right, bye, oh bye, gotta go or whatever, just quickly as like so abrupt and just hangs the phone up and I don't even have a I can't even say all right, goodbye, have a good day.
Speaker 2: But maybe that's because you've done the wrap up and she thinks, well it's over.
Speaker 3: Sorry. So no, no, no, not in this not in this circumstance.
Speaker 2: I'm saying you don't get a chance to do the wrap.
Speaker 3: Right, and she'll just hang up and go, Okay, what's that about, Tillie.
Speaker 4: Well, I actually disagree because I think, like, once the majority of the conversation is over, why would you have the awkward bit at the end, like I don't really good bit, just like oh yeah, well, I hope you have a good day. It was nice talking, ill I do like.
Speaker 2: To sit and grow up around Italian families, because we say goodbye in the kitchen, the hallway, the front door out and the driveway. We say goodbye about seven thousand times. You're not into the no you hang up first, and no I'll hang up first. No, you hang up first, I'll hang up for you. Don't do that.
Speaker 4: No, I don't even say bye to my mom.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what's the trigger in your mind that the phone calls over. You feel sensing the wrap.
Speaker 4: Up, like if I if I've gotten what I needed out of the call, I'm gonna be the driver.
Speaker 2: You're the driver in the call. You're there for the purpose once it's happened.
Speaker 4: Yes, correct, Phone calls have a reason. Once the initial conversation is over, there's no need to continue them the majority of the time.
Speaker 2: Do you communicate the same? Would you say you communicate the same with Marley as you do everybody else.
Speaker 4: Yeap, Marley's the only one that's had an issue with it. In fact, I literally called my boss yesterday to say I'm going to the hospital. I'm not coming to work. And I didn't say goodbye. Why not because it was obvious I was going to the hospital and I'm not coming to work.
Speaker 2: Did he say goodbye?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not sure because it was already hung up.
Speaker 2: Oh so you just said I'm going to the hospital. Clunk, I said Hi, I was crying. I said, Hi, I can't come to work the Salva. I've got to go to the hospital. She said why. I said, rash is are bad. Then a crowd a bit and you hung up?
Speaker 4: Yes, ok, okay, because I had to go. The conversation was done.
Speaker 2: But why is by not part of your agenda? Like why are you not saying bye? That is just like common courtesy.
Speaker 4: Well, I've just never really had to say goodbye. Nobody's ever had an issue with it or called.
Speaker 2: It up till right. Okay, So when when someone calls you, let's let's go from the start of the call. What's your etiquette when it comes to answering the call? Answer call? So spring ring? Okay, ready answer? What are you going to?
Speaker 4: Just depend?
Speaker 2: What are you saying?
Speaker 4: Maybe?
Speaker 3: What? What? What?
Speaker 2: Who says what? That's just sounds like you're pissed off? And are you pissed off? Are you annoyed? No?
Speaker 4: I just I'm just wondering. What, Like, I just get to the point what you've called me? What's Yeah? Okay?
Speaker 2: So if you called someone and they said what to you? What would you think?
Speaker 4: I would just tell them straight away?
Speaker 2: Okay, So you would just think they're cutting to the chase.
Speaker 4: I would appreciate it, Yeah, I would you.
Speaker 2: Okay. So do you realize though, that when you do that that it could actually make it sound like you're being terse or abrupt or impatient or don't have tolerance for this person by saying what.
Speaker 4: I think everything is situational. Like if the President called me, I would say, hi, mister President, how are you okay?
Speaker 2: But that's actually a little bit worse what you're saying now, because that just means that the people you say what to you don't have respect for. Because if you're saying you've got a different criteria depending on who it is, then that tells me that you know how to do it properly and you're choosing not to And it's selective. So when Marley calls, do you say what to him? Is that that way you answer the call for him? Usually yes?
Speaker 4: Sometimes yes, okay?
Speaker 2: And why just because.
Speaker 4: If it's someone you know, it's they're calling for something? Everyone, this is the rule. Someone only calls you normally when they want something. That's the truth. Sometimes when I call someone, I'm like, sorry for calling? Is this actually a good time? Because nobody actually wants your phone call normally?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Just you know, get to the point.
Speaker 2: Who's who are you talking about? Nobody?
Speaker 4: Well, like my grandma when I call her, she says oh, she doesn't say hi, she says are you driving? And I say yes, I'm driving. She says, is that why you called? Because you're bored?
Speaker 2: And I say yes, oh right, so there's got to be a reason.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly, you. I have plenty of favorites in my phone. I don't just.
Speaker 2: Pick up someone just to see how they are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah exactly. But like you would just say, like when you answer the phone, you'll just say how are you? Like you don't have to be like hi, oh not god, why how are you? Because the ringing part is the same high?
Speaker 2: The ringing part is the high. Yes, so why is the ringing part the high? Because you've already got my attention?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're established establishing communication.
Speaker 2: When you call someone in Italy, that's a pronto, which is ready the literal translation is ready.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Perfect.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I mean the thing is that Marley doesn't like it. He's come here and he's got an issue with the way that you're communicating with him. He says that you should have a little bit more phone etiquette. And in actual fact, if one of my friends called me and said what I would say, what's the matter? I would automatically think they were not in a good space. And if they didn't say goodbye. I would assume they're annoyed or in a hurry, and I would call them back to see if they're okay. That would tell me there's a problem. Do you not read that?
Speaker 4: I think just everyone knows my phone etiquette, so it's not an.
Speaker 2: Issue, Okay. I used to do business with a girl who was a bit like that, and I always came away from those schools uncomfortable and I never quite warmed to her because there was just a lack of warmth there.
Speaker 4: Well, if I talked to you, I would say, Hi, Judge, Gina, how are you? How is your day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, That's how I would talk to So that and your friends knowing that it's actually makes it a little bit worse because then when you speak to them and you say what, they know that you're aware of the proper etiquette and that you're not wasting it on them. Is that just familiarity breeds contempt in a way? You being contemptuous? Do you think or smart or is it an attitude or is it just you think that that's the correct way to do it.
Speaker 4: I just think there's a lot of times in life where you actually want to say and just do what you want to do, but you have to follow etiquette, and your friends are the one time that you can just be yourself. And it's not actually my way of being rude or anything, but I I'm just ready for the conversation to start, Like what do you want? Like, I just don't think there's need to with people that you know. I am aware of phone etiquette, but I also don't really believe in phone etiquette. I would rather just start the conversation.
Speaker 2: All right, Like I said, the ring is the fa Okay, So Marley, give me some other examples. So she answers saying what she doesn't say goodbye anything else.
Speaker 3: Well, let me just dig a little deeper into that. Judge Gina, when when in the past went till he has answered the phone and just said what I have just hung up on her immediately, and from that day on, I think it kind of shifted till his mindset about phone etiquette, which she did admit afterwards, because I just didn't speak to her for three weeks because of it.
Speaker 2: Right, So, but did she know that's why I was tell you? No, absolutely, she said, I can't talk to you because of.
Speaker 3: Your conversation went I just didn't talk to her.
Speaker 2: But did you make any effort to make her aware that you were not going to talk to on account of her phone etiquette.
Speaker 3: No, and I don't think I needed to. I think she completely understood right away, and I think she would.
Speaker 2: Only understand that if you had mentioned it to her in the judge.
Speaker 4: Please, can I give you some context?
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: We were fresh out of big brother, right, So we had been living with each other for.
Speaker 2: Two and a half sevens yeah, seven weeks seventy days or something. Yeah, but never on the phone. So suddenly you were connecting via other means.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So we were like pretty much just living with each other every day. He didn't have to do phone calls, didn't have to text or anything. And then we were on the call and I was obviously calling you back. That's why I didn't. That's why I just hung up. And then he messaged me, you rude little fk?
Speaker 2: What excuse me? Hang on? What was that a response to for hanging up?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: So you had a phone call, But this is how you've communicated prior to this. This wasn't something that started after your brother. No, you've always done this.
Speaker 3: And she's admitted to that.
Speaker 2: When Marley stopped talking to you for those few weeks. Why did it take you that long to call and say sorry? Were you aware of what was going on? Were you aware that he had stopped talking to you on account of your phone etiquette?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I actually said sorry straight away. He didn't accept my real sorry till three weeks.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he made you sit on it. Yes, it's correct, Okay.
Speaker 4: So I was being very sorry.
Speaker 2: But you've continued to do that now because that's why he's here.
Speaker 4: Well, I just think this whole thing is just childish and pathetic, and I just can't believe that a grown man would not talk to a twenty year old girl for three weeks.
Speaker 3: Over you're going to play that card twenty year old girl, like you're not grown.
Speaker 4: That's the truth.
Speaker 2: So you're the grown up.
Speaker 3: Oh, twenty years old, you're not grown?
Speaker 2: How old are you now?
Speaker 4: Twenty three?
Speaker 2: So how are were you then twenty when you did twenty yep? Right, okay, twenty five?
Speaker 4: Twenty five?
Speaker 3: Am I grown at twenty five?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: You both? Yeah, I would say I think so too.
Speaker 2: You both can consent to your friendship. No, it's forcing you to be friends.
Speaker 3: And I think we understand how to say an easy hello goodbye? How are you you know we've loned our manners from growing up?
Speaker 2: How long have you been talking like this on the phone?
Speaker 4: Forever? Honestly forever? All the Yeah, since I was given a phone because back in the day you only you had to pay per second, had credit.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, So based on that, my.
Speaker 4: Mum only gave me like nothing. So yeah, honestly, goodbyes like are a waste of time, just like you're bringing me here.
Speaker 2: Okay. So Marley, what you're asking for is you want a formal apology from Tilly via social media of her admitting her wrong and expressing how sorry she is for extremely poor, rude and disrespectful phone etiquette. Is that? Is that your claim?
Speaker 3: Is that is correct?
Speaker 2: What about that Tilly?
Speaker 4: That just absolutely will not be happening? And I truly believe that other people will be completely on my side, like genuinely nobody else has ever complained.
Speaker 2: Do you agree that at least you should accommodate him he doesn't like it, and if you care about him, that's what you would do. Or is it your way or the highway?
Speaker 4: The only time I felt bad about it was when he was crying about it.
Speaker 2: He cried about such a liar, such a lie. I think, Okay, when was he crying? You know, you have to tell the chee because I want to.
Speaker 3: Hear it too. I want to hear the story too. Tell me when I was crying?
Speaker 2: So you actually got him, So you're willing to admit that you got him to a point of teas because he's just going to be so hard on him. So I think you need to be compensated. Actually, Marley, now that I'm hearing this absolutely long ago.
Speaker 3: Is that this is traumatic. To be honest, you know what, don't even go into it, Telly. You brought me to tears, and I need to be compensated for.
Speaker 2: This, right, Okay? Okay, Well, I mean, look, I think you need the formal apology via social media. What does that look like, Marley?
Speaker 3: What do you think that they could be in the form of a story on our Instagram? I would like assure it could be anywhere from fifteen to thirty seconds, but.
Speaker 4: That doesn't make sense. Then if you're my friend and you want me to accommodate to you, it goes both ways. Yes, And I think you'll look like a real sook at twenty eight years old wanting an apology over this on social media. That looks a bit weird.
Speaker 2: I think he just wants to bring it to a head. He wants it to stop. And the fact that your friends have never raised or pointed at your phone etiquette doesn't mean they like it. It just means they're accommodating you.
Speaker 4: My friends tell me they love it, right, It's true. They say thank you so much for not wasting my time. They like it. They like when I just get phone calls Hey, They're just like hey, and I'm like, what are for dinner? They're like chicken, okay, be beep done.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 4: They can run into the shops buy their chicken. No time waste.
Speaker 3: How but when you call your friends, how about you when you call your friends with an issue or something that's going on in your life, and then you do the same beep beep, hang up after you're done impiling all of this information onto a friend or myself, and then you just hang up on them.
Speaker 4: There's different ways of saying goodbye. For example, I could say ilism and they would know that. The conversation is I.
Speaker 3: Love you so much and I've never heard you say that to me?
Speaker 2: She doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, clearly, it's not only phone Etiquette's what.
Speaker 2: Else do you say to say goodbye?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: And then yeah, okay, so that's pretty obvious.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's an obvious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's the It's just yeah, it's just going against the grain. You don't just have to say goodbye. Do you know how my grandma takes so much wasted time of me? Okay, I love you done?
Speaker 3: Sometimes your beautiful grandmother. Listen to the way she's talking about her grandmother. Let alone me.
Speaker 4: Yes. In person, I would give her a little kiss on the chair and then I would go yes. But over the phone, I'm not gonna It's like we have to write a love note to each other. It takes ten minutes to say goodbye. It's ridiculous, and I'm like trying to walk into work already late down her a favorite corner on the way to work, when her other grandkids might not even call her.
Speaker 2: So you don't like the pleasant trees or the you just want it to cut to the chase exactly.
Speaker 4: I'm just not having the like the really, oh my god, okay.
Speaker 2: Ask you for the station. People are just saying hi. It's like exhaling. It doesn't take any more time than by it's yes, that's it. But I think hello and goodbye so that people know because the sound of a phone being hung up in your ear you've cut them off. It's a little bit disrespectful. I don't think it's courteous, and I don't think it's manners. Is there any other way that you communicate?
Speaker 3: Yes, there's voice messages.
Speaker 2: The voice messages you're doing that, Yes, and Marley's go forever, which is why I wish I could hang up.
Speaker 4: I honestly wish I could hang up. Sometimes they go for five minutes, so twenty voice messages for like.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: You taught me fault.
Speaker 4: Mary, I have to go and like sit in a private spot and listen for ten Be sure you two.
Speaker 2: Run in love?
Speaker 3: Definitely, not absolutely sure.
Speaker 2: Arguing I'm telling you there is here.
Speaker 3: I feel bad for her, poor poor partner dealing with this. She she admitted that she deals. She does the same thing to him. I feel thanks.
Speaker 2: You go all right, Well, I'm going to make a decision now.
Speaker 1: Judge Gina is deliberating and will soon hand down her verdict. Please do not leave the courtroom.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, Marley, your case is about phone etiquette and you think that it should be a staple in human social interactive circulatory system. Is what you've said, And what you mean is that you want phone etiquette to be a direct correlation to the way you carry yourself in life, and just like manners, telephone calls should be an extension of etiquette and manners. Is that right, that's correct, Marley. You're asking for a formal apology from Televia, social media and financial compensation to the sum of one thousand dollars. Well, I'm not going to grant you any financial compensation, thank you. But having said that, I do agree that I think that you can actually give Marley a formal apology via social media. And in that apology, I would like you to admit you're wrong and express that you are sorry for your rude and disrespectful phone etiquette, and at the commencement of it you need to say hello or hi, and at the conclusion I would like you to say goodbye. So this I'm hoping will get you in a position where you can have some consideration. My decision is final, thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm very happy with today's outcome, I didn't receive the compensation, which, to be fair, Judge Gina, I guess I didn't deserve a thousand dollars, but hey, I did win the argument. Tilley now has basically admitted to her wrongs, but she won't completely win me over as a friend until she apologizes formally on Instagram.
Speaker 4: I feel so annoyed about today's outcome. I think it's pathetic that a twenty eight year old man she wants a formal apology on social media, and I just don't think it will teach me any lessons.
Speaker 3: I think Tillian I's disagreement has been settled once and for all. She couldn't keep just hearing it from me. She had to hear it from Judge Gena, and I thank her for telling Tilly straight that she is absolutely despicable with her behavior as in phone etiquette.
Speaker 4: Marley might think this disagreement is settled, but it's not done. It's not changing anything. This is a way of life, it's a lifestyle. All I have to say is okay, bye.
Speaker 1: This has been an iHeart production.