Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to the Sitdown. I'm Viv Christy from Australian Tennis magazine and great to be joined by Matt Trolope of oz open dot Com.
Speaker 2: Hey Matt, Hi, Viv, how are you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm great, Thank you Great to be joining you again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's always good. Another episode of the sit Down this week and we got the chance to chat to one of the game's most esteemed coaches. Tell us what's in store for listeners today.
Speaker 1: We were lucky enough to talk to Wim Faset, who, as you say, is a superstar of the coaching world. He's coached the likes of Kim Kleister's, Victoria Azarenka, Simona Hallop and Angelie Kerber and we caught up with Whim. He talked about his current role, of course as coach to Naomi Osaka, as well as other aspects of the game. So let's hear what he has to say. Wim, thanks for joining us on the sit Down. It's great to have you here. I know it's very early on your side of the world. We thought we'd start with talking about your relationship with Naomi Osaka this year and what you make of her comeback season so far.
Speaker 3: Well, super happy. I was super happy to join Know Me again in October. It's it's a really fun project where the first part was already really great. We work together from from nineteen until the end of or the summer of twenty twenty two, so we had we had good success, but still I felt there was a lot more to achieve. Definitely, if you if we just look at her, I think the potential to be a lot better than she's ever been. I felt that that was very clear. And to have this this check a second chance, yeah, it made me really happy. But obviously see it was a start from zero again after giving birth and actually just starting a few months later, and that was definitely very very challenging. And yeah, her first match was was only six months after giving birth. That that was like super early. But yeah, we we felt we all felt she was she was ready to make a comeback. She was already in a in a very good physical state, and she was just very impatient to get to get going again. And we are now a few months a few months later, I think as a team we see we're actually very happy with the progress with her development. We see a big improvements like week by week physically, also on the court, I think she's she's really doing better and better, like day by day. Obviously we haven't had like the big success we were we were hoping for, but we all believe that that is just a matter of time. So we're we're just going to keep working as we have been doing and we really feel that, yeah, we're going to have a big success this year.
Speaker 1: What's been the highlight of your first four months back on tour together.
Speaker 3: I think I mean, first of all, the best match she played was the Switolina match in Miami. I think there kind of everything came back together. That was definitely also the way we wanted to play, and yeah, it was really fun to watch her play, Like you know, we saw already in practice how good she can play, but they're kind of everything came together. So really pleased with that. But just the journey itself is like is like a highlight. So just to know where she started in October and like where she is now, the way she looks, I mean, she's physically stronger than she wasn't in twenty two, even in twenty one, I think when she won she won the Australian Open, So I think the journey itself is for me the highlight.
Speaker 1: As you mentioned earlier, you did work with Naomi several years ago. What have you noticed is different this time around?
Speaker 3: She is now, first of all, a super professional player who is taking care of like every detail. I really feel that she has the mindset now that this is her chance to make the best out of herself and to show the people are true potential and also for her to find her true potential how good She wants to know how good she possibly can be, and she's willing to work super hard for that. And yeah, it's it's a player who right now who's really very curious about like lots of things how she can improve in different ways and kind of exploring a lot of things she's doing, Let's say current nutrition changed a lot, She's doing a lot of yoga and different movement kind of training, and yeah, just through different ways of training, exploring where she can improve.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting to hear talk about this whim because I think one thing we also saw that was a little different from Naomi was the fact she entered the two fifty level tournament in Ruan in France, which is a level of tournament. She doesn't tend to play that often. We both work with Todd Woodbridge and chatted to him about this, and he thought that this was a really good thing that she did, that was incredibly important to her career. And I wonder what the thinking was for Naomi to enter a tournament like that, because of course she can get wild cards anywhere, like she could have played the still Card tournament the same week. So we're just wondering what was going on there in terms of that scheduling change for her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, first of all, when she came back and in October when she started training again, one of her clear goals in this next chapter in careers to do better on the clay and on grass, and obviously for that, we need to spend as much time as possible on on on that surface, on those surfaces. And you know, she also made the decision that she wanted to play the Villagering Cup. She wanted to play, she wants to play the Olympics, so really busy schedule, and we, yeah, we still decided to play a tournament the week after after the Villagini Cup did what she played in Japan, and then, yeah, we thought it was a good idea too to go to Roan where you she might have maybe a little bit more chance to play more matches that unfortunately didn't work out. But you know, like just looking back, I think it was it was not easy just going to Japan for the bill the Chinking Cup, playing on hard, going to Ruan, have like a day of preparation back on bag on clay, and it was just it was just a difficult transition. But you know, like, yeah, she was very clear that she wanted to play a tournament on clay before we go to Madrid, and she wants to spend as much as time as possible on the clay, and we thought it was a good choice and I think it wasn't the bad It wasn't a bad choice, but at the end, with all the traveling, it was a little bit more difficult than we thought.
Speaker 2: And Mantini Trevison, she's obviously very very good on clay, it's a tough draw. More generally, how are you and how is Naomi feeling about her game on clay and what do you think that she does well on this surface?
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's a surface where she definitely can play well, but she needs to spend time and she needs to play matches. It's it's it's not the surface where she's automatically feeling super confident like she's on the heart. Therefore, I mean, she just hasn't played enough on that surface the last three four years and also hasn't had the success on that surface to be very confident. But at the end, she she also grew up on the green clay in Florida where she played a lot of hours. So she's she's not she's not uncomfortable in her movement and right now we see that she's she's playing a high level on practice on where we play points. It's it was a little bit more difficult, but I think you know, she's a she's a super athlete, and that that helps her on the clay. She has she has the power two yeah too, to still be playing very aggressive tennis on the clay and to to accelerate when the ball has has no pace. She's she's always been kind of a patient player. I mean, she's an aggressive player, always has been a player that has been building more of the rallies just instead of just going for the winner on the first shot. So she has a good kick surf on the second serf. So I think there's a lot of parts in her game that we fit really well on the clay. But it's it's definitely, yeah, a work in progress for the next for the next weeks, but also for the next years, you know, like her comeback is planned for the next seven eight years. So the more we can spend time on the clay, the more we can learn and hopefully also have the success that will only help her, like for the Olympic Games this year, but also like for the next year. So we're we see it as a big as a big learning or I also feel that her game will just develop more bye bye by playing on the clay. I think her game will will develop in a way that it will also help her on the hard courts better. So I'm very excited about this part of the season. And for sure, it's going to be very challenging because you're going to play players like Travis Son who's just like really good on clay, and they're just so comfortable and they know exactly what to play on which ball. But you know, it's we like challenges and we know, like we know her potential. I've seen her play good tennis on clay and I'm confident she'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Just listening to you talk about her, it sounds like that you're very excited with where she can go and what more she can achieve. That you feel like there's more to do. But I was wondering, where do you take a player who's already won four Grand Slam titles, has already been world number one, She's been the highest paid female athlete in the world. She's kind of already scaled the heights. What do you think is next for her?
Speaker 3: Where can she go next? For her, it's just become a better player and become a better athlete. I mean it sounds, yeah, it sounds maybe weird that I say that, but yeah, she has won her four Grand slams and she played amazing tennis. But like coaching her, I feel there's there's a lot more to do, and there's a lot just looking at her. You know, of course, they're they're really good players out there, like IgA and like Sablanca, Rebecquina Coco, like, I mean, there are a lot of good players out there, But just we look at her data and we want to, let's say, have much better data of her than we had in twenty two and twenty one. That's our goal to see like how good can she possibly be? And then I do feel that if she if she keeps making steps forward, that that's the result is going to be that she's going to win more Grand Slam or that's I mean, that's at least the goal, and that's where we as a team really believe in. But the most importan and it's just focus on her and yeah, showing her true potential.
Speaker 1: We recently caught up with Brad Gilbert and he told us that whether a coach is working with a player on the ATP Tour or the WTA Tour, the coach the focus is on simply helping that player get better, but others say there's a different approach to working with players on different tours.
Speaker 3: What's your view, Well, I don't have the real ATP experience doing my since I came on the tour in two thousand and nine, I have been only coaching at WIT. I do feel like I agree more with Brad where I feel like tennis is tennis and as a coach, what do you do? You try to develop your player and you know, like women and men, they're both playing tennis. You know, like and technically it's kind of the same sport. And then of course you try to analyze your opponents and find the right strategy, so that's that's also kind of the same. So I I don't think there's a there's a really big difference, you know. I think just yeah, coaching women, you know that it's it's let's say sometimes it could be a little bit more emotional, and it's it's it's how to it's it's also very important how to prepare the player before before the matches, Like I always felt that in my fifteen years on the tour. That's like putting them or bring them to the court with the right expectations, like what challenge is to expect and just to be ready for everything. So they're they're kind of let's say emotionally like very stable and and yeah, just just to to be ready for for all the challenges that day. I think that's just maybe a little bit more important than women's doone. As I would say, we.
Speaker 1: Both came to know you in two thousand and nine on the WTA tour when you were a coach to KYM classes. She was making her comeback as a mother. Are there specific requirements in coaching a player who is also a.
Speaker 3: Mom, I mean the coaching, the coaching is coaching. You know, you tried to make your player a champion, that's a ultimate goal, but obviously have you need understanding that that it's probably a little bit different than coaching a twenty year old like just traveling by herself. Right, So I do feel now with Naomi, not much has changed. She always had a good structure in her training and also at the tournaments where we start early in the morning, around eight or nine the latest, and then we just do all the work together until around two or three, and that's kind of how we've done it in the past and kind of how we do it now, and then she has she has the rest of the day for her daughter, and you know, it's it's it's obviously very important that the player has that's like, that's a good structure. But with home it was that guy in the past, and kind of with with Kim, we we did it more or less the same training early in the morning and the afternoon more off for the for the family.
Speaker 2: So hearing how you talk about coaching and preparing players, one thing that you have a lot of experience doing is coaching against Serena Williams. I just finished reading Ben Rothenberg's book about Naomi Osaka, and there was a part in it where he spoke to you about your success coaching players to victories against her. I think he've worked with six different players who have beaten Serena, which I think actually might be a record for a coach. So I wondered if you were maybe able to share with us now that she's retired, what is the secret to beating Serena?
Speaker 3: You know, that's honestly, it's a great that are super proud of that. You know, Serena, I mean obviously the best player all time, the best female player all time, so much respect for her. But yeah, I mean first step was always making the player believe that there is a chance to win. I think Serena definitely won a lot of matches before the match started and making I think making the player aware of like what was going to happen even before the match would start. You know, say, she likes to be a little bit late before the start of the match, so she she she likes to make you wait. There are a couple of other like things she would she would do before the match to really show her presence, and you know, I think just going on the court and like being there for the for the toss and seeing seeing readA on the other side is not easy to to stay calm like. So it's it's it's super important. That was the first step to be really like okay, knowing understanding what's going to happen, and then be fully prepared for that. And then yeah, tactically, of course, I've beaten Serena with I think, yeah, six different players, so all these players had kind of different different weapons are and different strengths and weaknesses, so it's always a little bit the yeah, a little bit personal. But there were I mean, if I if I would say like three things. It was obviously that she was struggling a bit with with a low slide where she has to move in the court and really getting under the ball. That was like the match lost to let's say Vinci. That was that was very clear that she that she was struggling with that balls at her body like from the return and also from a defense position. If you would let's say play the defense cross that would be a lot more comfortable than if you were able to play it like long at her at her body that she has to like get more distance to the ball, and I do feel in tight situations just the fall and was letting her down just a little bit more than then the back end. Like those I think those three were, yeah, were very important. And just mentally, she was winning so many matches so easy that like if you would just stay mentally like believing that there was always kind of a window where she was like going down a bit bitter level and that was I felt that was always the moment that, yeah, that you needed to be ready for. And because she wont so many that's just easily. She was also not too comfortable when it would go to a five all or a six all level because it was like she was not experiencing that a lot. So yeah, I mean I would say a lot of like all these things a little bit together. But I think on the other hand, most important you had to hope that she wasn't having like her very very best day because at her best, like you could have the best tactics doing those but I don't know, ten years she was she was unbeatable, like that's that's clear. She was far better than than all the rest of the game. Whim.
Speaker 1: You've had an amazing coaching career where you've coached multiple players to Grand Slam titles or finals. Do you have a sort of look back on tennis history and think I would have loved to have coached that particular player.
Speaker 3: When I when I started my career in two dozen nine, my dream is actually to coach or I thought the highest possible I could achieve was to coach Maria Sharpova. I think, yeah, she was, Yeah, she was such an interesting player. She was also like an unbelievable good player. But yeah, I felt like I would have been super excited to coach her and to make her, like, yeah, tried to make her a better player, and like especially the last yeah five six years of her career. I think that would have been like super interesting project for myself, and I think I could have been a val valuable coach for her. But yeah, that's you know, she had other great she had really great coaches during her career, and she always had like the best people around her. And but yeah, like that was definitely a player that I would have loved to coach.
Speaker 1: Here, Yeah, as tennis fans, I think we would have loved to have seen that too. So on a personal level, how do you balance your family life with your life as a traveling coach.
Speaker 3: I think I have a very understanding family. I think that that's the first one. But my children kind of grew up like they were born in the time that I was doing this, so so I think my oldest son, who's now eight, it was like two or three years ago where he actually asked me the question, like, hey, my friend says his dad is home every night, so he kind of thought that, like when dad goes to work, it's normal that he's gone for like three or four weeks and then he's home maybe a week or two. So for them, it's kind of normal. They haven't experienced anything else, and I think that's that's helping us. I think some some coaches decide to stay home when when the kids are very very young, and I think that makes it a little bit more different a girl. Then let's say suddenly the kids are three and four years old and then suddenly the father starts traveling like four or five weeks in a row. I think that's like a big shock for the family. So we yeah, like we we we we have done it since since the kids are born we're luckily my wife is at home, so she she can take care of the kids and bring them to school, pick them up, bring them to the hobbies, bringing to the tennis, the football. So the kids, let's say, they're they're having they're having a wonderful time even when I'm when I'm when I'm gone, when I'm traveling, And every year we tried to do at least one trip together, and like recently we did the Indian Wells Miami trip, which they have done already a few times, and they're they're super happy to be there and have some have some sunshine after the cold winter in Belgium. The most important spend spend time together and do lots of fun activity together.
Speaker 2: It's been really clear from talking to you today just how passionate you are about coaching. That's really come through in this chat. And I just wondered that, since you've done this for fifteen years and started back in two thousand and nine, what is it that you must love about coaching and walk tim motivated to continue? Like do you think it might be something you could still be doing in another fifteen years from now?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And when I started, it was obviously not clear like how my career would go, and also if I would get a lot of chances to coach like good players on the tour. So I don't think I imagined in two thousand and nine that I was going to be here in twenty twenty four and coaching someone like Naomi Osaka, and I never dreamed about that. But I think, like you said, everything starts with passion. And since the first time I picked up a tennis recket, tennis has always been, yeah, my biggest passion. I still loved to play every time, Like now me thinks it's very funny, but every time I get like she's still warming up and I get like five minutes to hit the ball, and I'm I'm like the happiest person in the world. And no, I think also like just my personality, I love to I love to I love to give, And I think the coaching role is like the the perfect role for me. Where I am I'm in the background, like trying to to help as much as possible and with my with my knowledge, but also with my passion and give the give the energy to the player and let her feel the passion as well. And yeah, just also with with the ambition I have to, yeah, to win Grand Slams and to to make the player the number one in the world if possible. But yeah, that's I think that's the whole package. Yeah, fits me really well.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Wim. It's been great to talk to you, and good luck for the weeks and the months ahead.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, both of you.
Speaker 1: So, Matt's some absolute nuggets there from Whim, and I loved hearing in particular that the player he would have loved to have coached was Maria Sharapova.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought that was really interesting, and yeah, it was just absolutely fascinating to know because we'd spoken about his success coaching players against Serena, but on the flip side, Sharapova notoriously struggled against Serena and I think lost their last nineteen matches in a row. So, you know, would if Wim had have been working with Maria, would he have helped her make a dent in that head to head I don't know, and that's something we'll never know, but fascinating to contemplate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, And what we do know is we'll be back next week with another episode of the sit Down, and in the meantime, you can listen to John and the team on the AO Show weekly this Thursday, and.
Speaker 2: For details on how to contact us, you'll find them in the show notes. And in the meantime, please subscribe, rate and review Good to see if you next week.
Speaker 1: Look forward to it, Matt oh mm hmm.