Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast. Flex and Frooms on kit. Don't be quick for me, take your time, Edge Edge, I hate edging. Really, this spends how much time I've got? How much time do you usually kill yourself?
Speaker 2: Give myself? Yeah, I'm not getting into this. Okay, I didn't get paid enough.
Speaker 1: I didn't know you were frud She's like freaks. Actually, I'm no fruit.
Speaker 3: I'm no fruit.
Speaker 1: Don't start me sis. You are wearing a tangerine No when I'm bad? Did we talk about this last time?
Speaker 3: Went?
Speaker 1: When for me? Searching for content, She'll start to solict out with Brooki and I are wearing fine. The way she looks at us, it feels that there's so much disdain and judgment that you can't even accept the compliment. Last time she looked at Brookie and said this amazing like beaded intricate headband, and she through me looks her dead pain in the eye and said, you're wearing a headband with crusty microplastics and thought that wasn't offensive. She's insane. It was Get into the podcast. It's done. Let's get into the podcast. This is Flex and Frooms on Kata. Who knew would be debating body odor on the Flex and Froom show. But listen to this. It's a DM from Jade. They say, we've had a couple of really hot days lately and there's one guy in the office that has been lacking deodorant. Great phrase, sans dio. It got me thinking everyone has an individual scent, but why does everyone's bio smell the same? I'm gonna disagree off the jump off the dough bo. There's different strains, for sure. There's different strains, different mutations. And this is why I spent twenty twenty two and twenty twenty one arguing about hygiene on the internet, because I was being assaulted with different degrees of scent.
Speaker 2: One of the worst, I would say, is the dorito when someone opens their arms up on a tram and you just smell double cheese dorito.
Speaker 1: WHOA I'm like, I would say, what has to be worse than that is the kind of BO that you know has been cultivated over a lifetime. Like the sheets don't get washed, the bin in the room does not get emptied, the mess piles up and you can tell the bo's layered This is not just one day stink from last October. This shirt, they've worn it seventeen times since twenty twenty one, and it's gone back in the cupboard, back in the cupboard, back in the cupboard, back in the cupboard.
Speaker 2: It's scary light yellow underpits. I will say this person espouses that all bo smells the same. However, I had a friend in.
Speaker 1: A personal story, which is a fact.
Speaker 2: And he would eat a lot of yo chi, which is a yogurt chain in Melbourne, Okay, and he'd eats so much that he said his bo smell like yochi.
Speaker 1: Which like if you from Melbourne, this is very iconic.
Speaker 2: And I would smell his under arms and it smelt like a fat free yogurt.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of like it's how I imagine one of those probib you cult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was giving you cult. Okay, listen to this. Though, we can't use our personal experience as facts, as that one guy said, facts not feelings. So Brookie has done some research for us. Turns out men and women have different smelling bio. I want to want to cite that study, but we can keep going. Men more likely to have cheese scents females are more likely to have onion or greatful or remas. And I will say when I do eat onion, can smart coming through? I can smart coming through? Is this going to all others? Just going different body puts? Do you want to specify one in particular?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay? The research was done by Swiss researchers. Apparently none of these compounds are secreted by the body, but actually forming sweat on the skin because of the enzymes that churn out bacteria. And according to life Hacker it's an online publication, it can be quite difficult to detect your own body odors because the receptors in your nose shut down. I'm not dealing with it, please, I'm a star. How they shut down after smelling the same sense for too long? This is why you can't your house, Yeah, which is super dangerous other people's houses.
Speaker 2: This has been It's an exercise gear NIKEI one piece. It's been shoveled down into a bucket of exercise clothes for a long time. So if you want to smell it, it smells dank.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And I only realized costume change.
Speaker 1: I mean there's grub grabby marks on it. Yeah, you know me, I don't think anyway. I don't want to get into.
Speaker 2: This on air in case you say that I smell. No one's ever complained about me smelling.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's how it works. I really don't.
Speaker 2: The cheese and the onion, that's what I can vouch for.
Speaker 1: Onion. I can definitely vouch for onion. Look, why do you think I'm pedantic about my hygiene. I know how bad it can get. Okay, I know how bad it can get, and that's why you layer, layer, layer, leave no stone unturned. If something can smell good on the body, let it what I'm working on currently at belly button. I'm always cleaning at my belly button, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, little not with the fingo. Those cutuibs you can't use in your ears, straight down the gullet.
Speaker 2: When you put it, cotton bud in your if you put it in too deep, I will say FLEXI is there anything better in this life than having a three day I'm gonna say a depressive period, three day simfess in bed uber eats not my culture, and then you just get to experience your own scent and then wash it all off.
Speaker 1: I don't want to know what happens underneath. I don't want to I don't want to engage with me raw. And that's my biggest fear for the apocalypse. I don't want to see what this smells like. I don't want to see what the secretions do. We are a little bit of assistance. Remain hydrated everyone, flexen frims, flexen frimester, never miss a beat FLEXI.
Speaker 2: I was recently listening to a podcast. It was recommended by a friend of mine who is big into the psychology game, and it is by a woman called Glennan Doyle, and her podcast is We Can Do Hard Things with Glenn and Doyle. This is recommended to me to deal with criticism. Not often do I get criticism, okay, but doing a job like this, you're front facing. You are the CEO of your own company, and therefore you are pholden to criticism from far fun places. And she said, have listened to this because it will give you some interesting strategies that you can use when you're looking at comments on the internet. So I think, really anybody can use this when it comes to feedback from people in their family in the life, people that abuse you in traffic, and your boss a little different.
Speaker 1: Its four distinct categories.
Speaker 2: So Glennon has shared her sort your male rules. So what this means is that you think of all criticism you get as a mailbox, and in an ideal world, you would have somebody else in your.
Speaker 1: Team a mail room almost yeah, mailroom.
Speaker 2: You would have someone else who will sift through all of the comments you get, all of the feedback, all of their emails, and they will find stuff that's oither a constructive, which, as we know in this internet landscape, it's hard to know what it really is hard when you're self censoring. Maybe say five percent of criticism is structural. Then there's an x amount that is about your appearance, and that is a bana never necessary. Another bit is about your gender identity. Another one that can go in the bin. Sexuality. Another one that's in the bin. These aren't things we can necessarily change or want to change. And then there's personality, and this is a really hard one, particularly if people who exist online. She says that if someone is critiquing your personality, don't change it.
Speaker 1: So what I'm hearing is that five times out of five and a half, don't listen to criticisms and there's a point five where you could consider and even then you should be in it. No, but I mean her point was interesting.
Speaker 2: It was about modern times and particularly women in the workforce. A lot of criticism is about things that we can't change, and they're gendered.
Speaker 1: Did she mention criticism that's worth paying attention to. Yes.
Speaker 2: So that's a small amount. And I didn't really listen to enough podcast to guess the bit to discern where it is.
Speaker 1: I just don't listen to.
Speaker 2: Anybody who thinks your personality is annoying. And I thought it's a bit of me.
Speaker 1: You said Marc has played You said Mark As played Marcs.
Speaker 2: Anyway, maybe next week I'll listen to the rest of it and come with a few more tips.
Speaker 1: It's okay just.
Speaker 2: Off the dome, though, but just off the dome, like, have a think, if someone's critiqued.
Speaker 1: What are some areas where you should listen to criticism? Is that a serious question? For me?
Speaker 2: It would be how you make others feel. I think sometimes you can be really honest and not realizing that. You know, some people think honesty is the best policy, and they forget that sometimes you don't need to be honest about certain things.
Speaker 1: Well, being a victim to a people pleaser, that is some crazy stuff. A victim to a people pleasing I heard of that. No, broadly speaking, it's someone who's hell bent on doing something for you or showing up for you in a way that you don't need, and they make you feel really guilty about it. Oh, you're like, babes, please like let me out.
Speaker 2: You've got a lot of these, So I think that would be a nice interesting thing to talk about later. Little ways that people are annoying and ways to how do you say, diagnose them?
Speaker 1: And perhaps when we'll have a think about it together, areas of criticism worth listening to. Flex and frooms. Do we need willpower or just a phone that doesn't have social media? That is the question we're answering today on Flex and Frooms. We've discussed these final bosses of consumerism. A couple of weeks ago, we talked about how the mini bag trend just reads like maximum saturation. We're carrying these things that are meant to be functional and scaling them down so small that not even the basics can fit in it. Not even a lip gloss, not even a key, not even a phone. And so what's happened is that the marketplace has responded and said, don't stress, We'll just make really really small phones. And so people are going out and buying these tiny phones in addition to their main phone that they can use when they want to use their small bag. Can I get a who rah hoho rah. Now we've recently come across a new development, you know, in the e comm space. It's called the light phone, and it's designed to be used as little as possible. Listen to this meet the.
Speaker 2: Light phone too.
Speaker 3: This cell phone's most remarkable feat is what it doesn't have.
Speaker 1: It purposely lacks.
Speaker 3: Tools like a camera and Internet browser because in an increasingly online world, it's been uniquely created to be used as infrequently as possible. Beyond calling and texting, this phone can be used as a hotspot and an alarm. Tools for music, podcasts, navigation, and a calculator can be added to I swapped out my iPhone for a week and used this phone instead. I found that the tools it does have generally work well, and the ones it doesn't allow me to be present with my friends, family and surroundings in a way I'm simply not able to when using my iPhone?
Speaker 1: What do you think of this product? Would you ever try it? So for those of you who don't have the visual aid, it kind of looks like a kindle. It's a black and white device. It doesn't even like really give off led. None of the lot just is like this paper looking device. What do you reckon about the concept?
Speaker 2: For me, it's cool, it's essentially just a phone without social media or a camera.
Speaker 1: It feels outdated to me. It feels what's the opposite of progressive regressive? If phones can do stuff while they're in a phone that can't do stuff. You just need more self control, That's what I'm thinking. Also, it feels like, you know what, It kind of reminds me of when people take social media breaks but don't really think about developing better habits. So they take this break, they feel really empowered to come on and fall back into the same habits, similar to people who take work breaks because of burnout. You take this big break, you don't really think about making any changes or habits. I mean, you come back to this environment, you don't know how to manage yourself, and you fall back into the trap. My concern with the light phone is that it doesn't really address any of the current issues. You take away the source, but like, you're still gonna interact with social media broadly. And if you weren't gonna interact with social media broadly, then you would just take it off your phone and not buy a new phone to not use social media, correct. I think?
Speaker 2: So if I were them, okay, I would just go back into one of my drawers and pick out a Motorol eraser yep from twenty years ago, little three G three G moment, open it up and use it. I know there's a podcast I listen to called The Imperfects with Ryan Shelton and Hugh von Cyclinton. Maybe I'm not sure how to pronounce his name. And Ryan Shelton stopped using his iPhone and instead has a flip phone. And this is a big deal. He's always been He's a comedian and a creator. No phone, and he's loving it.
Speaker 1: Apparently. I've no doubt it'd be cool. In this instance. It feels like the unique selling point is the no social media thing, and you just have a phone that does what a phone is meant to do. Your current phone does that. It does you just delete the art that you don't want on the current phone you have. I don't know what do I know? You know, a bit of tape on the back of the camera. I would like to try it, but you know how like when you're testing a new thing just to see, you don't really use it like you would in your everyday life. You're doing an experiment, so you behave in an experimental way. Exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like people blue buy garment but don't run. Literally, I'm gonna sell it taken hand on he Facebook Markplace.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Apple Watches that we don't use mine's in the bathroom cabinet. You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast. For more, tune in de Cat on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.