Speaker 1: Hello, Welcome to the tennis once again.
Speaker 2: I'm Zavean Muellerbuck your host for the week, Filipino for non world card alex Yala is the giant killer in Miami, adding Eagish Viertek to her star studded list of casualties. Fon Seca Fever Hard Rock Stadium was pumping every time javon Seca took to center court. This week, we're going to analyze the game behind the fame and Olympic overhaul Brisbane's pat Raft Arena. He's getting a major makeover. Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tyler joins us later and he'll be covering all the big tennis storylines at home and abroad. But let's jump on in joining me this week once again is Queen of the small stream screen. Well, you know when my head went to sembrace stream. No, the problem I have is Queen of the small Great sounds like you've got an only fans. Oh yeah, no, I don't good fans at home. She's just going to stick here, just crossing out smaller screen. We're gonna get on desktop of ste anyway about.
Speaker 3: You're good, Yeah, I'm a good thing.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: And across the table from me, we've got two coaching superstars fresh off the plane from Miami.
Speaker 1: Is to call Pratt and Simon Ray. Welcome, g great to be here, is it? He looks scared of me.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, Well, yeah, this is different. There's a different vibe. But I'm open to you know, a chat more.
Speaker 5: See.
Speaker 1: Okay, excellent. How's the flight home? Do you got? Who got the best seat on the plane?
Speaker 3: I got upgraded.
Speaker 4: Actually, I use my points, and when I got that text before, I was just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's only three things that are amazing at the airport. One is getting that text. Second is the gate upgrade. When you're about to board, you scan the thing that goes bomb bong, and you think you're about to be deported, and suddenly like, actually, we've had a better seat for you.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's ever happened to me.
Speaker 1: That's right. We'll keep with your smaller screen and maybe you'll get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We'll jump into the biggest news of the week. Wild Card alexandre Yala. She bet her third consecutive Grand Slam champion at Miami just overnight. Huge news. Yeah, not just anyone. Yeah, the eager amazing news, isn't it? And I went back and did a little bit of homework on Yala, and so often, you know, these outstanding stories that we see play out, there's some clues if we track back in time.
Speaker 6: A little bit.
Speaker 7: So Alex Yala two thousand and five birth yet, meaning she's turning twenty out of the game arras year somewhere in twenty twenty as a fifteen year old, though from a junior tennis perspective, she's ranked number two in the world. So so and pratty, you'll be able to back me up here. So often we see that that these elite talents are nearly always, not always, but nearly always some of the best junior players in the world. So that was certainly the case with Yala makes the semi finals of Role in Garros at fifteen in twenty twenty I'm talking the junior edition obviously, and wins the US Open at seventeen from a girl's singles perspective, and then we know that the story changes a little bit because then it is taking some time to have the big breakthrough which we've just seen play out in front of us this week. So in twenty twenty two, at seventeen, she's ranked two hundred and nineteen in professional tennis. Twenty twenty three, improves thirty spots one hundred and eighty nine, twenty twenty four, forty spots one hundred and forty three, and now twenty twenty five on the live rankings. So we know there's elite talent there, and maybe Pratty can give some insight into what that breakthrough kind of consists of. There's elite talent, then it takes some time, then the grind starts. Then it's kind of shoulder to the wheel for a number of years, and all of a sudden this week and you've outlined the quality of the winds, not just the winds, the quality of the winds, and she's away with a bullet to seventy five in the world and evidently going to go much higher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's your tape?
Speaker 4: Praddy definitely can back up Somei'm in there with the fact that you know, the junior results are definitely an indicator of future senior success. So the numbers there show pretty much are evidence that she was going to get there, but it's taken some time. I'll never forget I was watching actually at Roland Garrett's last year, she was playing against Taylor Preston. Taylor Preston was all over her, like destroying her. And the thing that stuck out for me was, I think her resilience, her resolve when she really didn't have an answer to Taylor, but anyway, she just hung there. She's stuck with it. Her attitude is amazing. So you know, I would say maybe you could argue training out of the Nadale Academy. You know, that's something that's instilled in the players there about you know, the work ethic, the resilience piece, and the belief piece. You know, if you keep working hard enough, then then good things are going to happen. So no, it's a huge breakthrough for her. And you know she's a sweetheart as well, so it's great to see one of the nice players come through also.
Speaker 2: More of those pleas and she's put Filipino tennis on the map.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, but look at the scalps. I mean, Madison Keys has been untouchable pretty much this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she's just like a little while.
Speaker 2: You know, she moved to me Orca at fourteen to go to the Raffa Academy and funnily Eno, I've got a picture here that he was floating around her graduating from the Raffa Academy. And then a special guests in the tenants was Eagershiartek. Her most recent scalp just nuts she.
Speaker 8: See to Tony Nadal was in her box today when she played, which is obviously Rafa's uncle. He coach really drives the academy these days.
Speaker 3: For a far.
Speaker 1: But yeah, wow, kingmakers the whole thing huge.
Speaker 2: Staying with Miami for a moment, I thought we jump into What's caught your Eye. This is a segment where every week we look at what has been happening in the tennis world. Praddy, what's caught your I this week in the tennis land?
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's caught everyone's eyes. Fonseca in listen just the it was phenomenal. The crowds were phenomenal. We're talking about Miami being northern Brazil, the amount of Brazilians they're selling Brazilian T shirts out in the merchant merch store. There's Brazilians everywhere. So anyway, in his second round match he was playing, I think he was out on gran Grandstand that only has three thousand people. Well, what happened was there were three thousand people outside waiting to get in, which was a security risk, so they actually had to shut the match down and the only place they could put it was in the Senate Court. So what happened is all the Brazilians that had lined up to watch the match were then told it's moving to Santa Court, that they'd have to buy a Senate Court ticket. So they went then went over to the Santate Court, started yelling, booing, and then they had to disrupt the Draper match, pull that off the court because the fans wouldn't stop. So it is just it's craziness, Like it's like we're talking superstar, absolutely SUPERSTI.
Speaker 8: Taste of it here right open. But that sounds even mourning, but it was nuts.
Speaker 3: It was nuts.
Speaker 4: It was actually nuts, like I'd never I've actually never heard of a situation like that before.
Speaker 1: I kind of love it.
Speaker 2: He's a good kid, and he said, really great here in Melbourne. Yeah, if we could just keep the security wrist to a low, but the fandom high.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 8: What do you think is next for him? Pretty from and Simon, Oh he's going to fly. I mean, Simon will break his game down. But I just you know, even in the first round match against learn A team, that match was phenomenal. It was three sets and it was a battle, and that come through the juniors as well. But I just love I just love how he enjoys the game so much, like I don't know, all the different moments where someone's challenged, it's almost like he enjoyed the challenge and he wanted the challenge because that's where he's going to step up.
Speaker 3: And you can talk about where he steps up, talk about it.
Speaker 6: I think Pratty makes a great point.
Speaker 7: You know, you can talk about the numbers and break down the game all you like, but that ability to walk towards I guess the pressure and the discomfort that that's so often the differentiated between the elite, the real champions of our sport and the rest of us. And I think that's an outstanding point that probably makes so to have a look behind him, well, I think that that's the first thing that I see when I look at this guy that want to have the spotlight on him and to back his big game, back his weapons against anyone down the other end. So he's he's okay to go down. You know, and we've seen some ups and downs, more ups than downs. But we saw him win that title on clay during the South American Swing, then go out first round. The following week. We saw him at Indian Wells lose to the eventual champion, Jack Draper. Then he goes to Phoenix, plays a challenger the next week, which is basically as strong as a tour event, wins that challenger in Phoenix, and then Pratty spoken to some of the circus in Miami that's followed him around there and speaks to the quality of Alex demon Or's win over him in fact, to get that done, and demon I think, backed up exactly what Pratdy was saying right on the camera. Nice to get a winner.
Speaker 3: I thought that was quite funny, found rude, but I was.
Speaker 1: Like having a large.
Speaker 7: I loved it on him talking about overcoming that adversity. But in terms of this guy's game, well, the top ten players in the world, okay, just looking at the top ten, they average one hundred and high one fifties, one fifty nine, one fifty fifty nine on second serve. Okay, that's normally the serve that you want to make sure you get in right. You don't want to cough up dog faults. This guy hits his second serve one hundred and seventy kilometers an now as an eighteen year old fourhand speed top ten average one hundred and twenty seven. This guy's one hundred and thirty two. And Pratty's heard me talk about some of these figures before. How about spin twenty eight hundred the best players in or twenty eight hundred. How many revs on the ball, So this guy's three thy fifty. That means he's not just getting you for speed on the foehand side, he's getting you for spin as well. Normally when you add one, you've got to take off a bit of the other. This guy's the whole package on serve. He's going after the ball on fourhand. He's not going to die wondering, And was spoken about his want to grab a hold of the moment and to win or lose on his terms dictating the play, you know, go down on the terms that he's comfortable with. So the Demon match in particular, if you want to get into that, I think it speaks to the quality of that win from Alex Deman or to kind of put a stop to all of that momentum that Fonseca had going into that.
Speaker 2: Context, Pratty wanted to ask, how many numbers does it take when Simon's telling you all the the numbers and stats, how long until your eyes glaze over pretty quickly?
Speaker 4: And I love the number. Yeah, I'm a bit of a stat's nut myself, So I actually really enjoyed listening to that good. But I think where he's going to make his biggest gains, and I still feel like there's a bit of a gap here is physically, how could I say he's a little soft in some areas where he can harden up, like you get that roots leaning, he needs to develop that real lean muscle mass, and then you know, when he gets towards you know, we've got to remember, you know, the Indian Wells and the Miami's they're the two week events, right and the Slams are the two weeks events, and it takes a toll on the body. So yeah, that's an area where it's exciting that he still has that growth.
Speaker 2: There, those little elements of growth. So if he was at five out of five on a ranking for every single element, they'd be nowhere to go. But by having those yeah, exactly, still heaps of time. So if he's already nailing certain things and he's got capacity for improvement and others, these kids can absolutely knock it out of the park.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 8: Yeah, But of a different question for both of you. So Alex obviously overcame Fonseca, yep, played. Well what did he have in the Fonseca match that he didn't have?
Speaker 3: Yeah when we watched him play yesterday.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm pleased you've asked that, Brie, because in the Demon match, you know, typically and this is probably will be able to speak to this again. This is often the case sometimes when you have identified as strength in an opponent, which in Fonsecu's case is the forehand was spoken about, that a lot what you may do down the other end is actually attacked directly into that wing. Okay, because a lot of times those players that have got dominant four hands, they love time on the ball, They love to be able to shift to their left. So getting into the technique and the tactics if you like a little bit more now, and their most dangerous forehands are hit from the center third of the court or even from the backhand side of the court. Demon in this match served a lot of times under pressure on the juice court straight out wide to the fonsecad four hand, drawing him to his right. The thinking there being if I draw him to his right, I'm going to increase my chances of finding his backhand on shots two, three, and four. Did a great job of that and the other thing. And we know about Demon's quality on second serve return, he really made a big inroads. We spoke about the speed of the Fonseca second serve, but Demon really in sets two and three when he turned that match around, he hardly won a point on second serve yeall Fonseca and Demon did it through a variety of ways, through mixing things up. He went back in the court a long way on second serve return. Other times he's standing right up or inside the baseline. So he changed the look that he was giving Fonseca. And we know about his ability to pinpoint targets on second serve return.
Speaker 6: Starved him of.
Speaker 7: Time and really made inroads, made Fonseca uncomfortable in that way in that match.
Speaker 1: Come what a journey? Anything else? Catch your eye over it? Many well?
Speaker 7: The only thing I would say any other thing I'd say on Fonsecer we spoke about success leaving clues. There's another number one ranked junior in the world, you know at seventeen, okay, number one ranked junior in the world.
Speaker 6: So for those tennis lovers out there listening in, take.
Speaker 7: A look at the junior rankings right now, because those players that are ranked top five, top ten in the world, and both the boys and girls, i'd nearly guarantee, stop short of a cast iron guarantee, but nearly guarantee your elite champions in the next five ten years are coming from that coke.
Speaker 6: Yep, right now.
Speaker 2: And when you're at a Grand Slam, go check out the junior's tournament.
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 7: Speaking in Miami, what else caught my Yeah, Victoria and Boko, who is a player that you know. Now there's another I think young player on the right. So I watched her play Pala Badosa out there in Miami. Now, she doesn't hold back on the ball. Just put a little asterisk next to her game. Okay, she's got some power and some weapons off both wings. She came within a point or two of knocking off Palabadosa. I think it was out on court one that day when I sat there and watched there's a Star on the rise.
Speaker 6: I think we've spoken about a Yala a little bit already.
Speaker 7: We've spoken about Fonsaka, So just adding Victoria and Boco was one to keep.
Speaker 6: One to watch in that same regard.
Speaker 1: Very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for bri. What's catching your eyeballs over there in Miami?
Speaker 8: Well, you know, I love Andreva, and sadly she was defeated by Annis, who has now since been defeated also when it's out of Miami. But I did quite enjoy a little bit of rivalry. Whether or not it was sportsmanship questionable, but Andrev did question a medical time out that Anasimova had during their match play because she had a blister and a finger, and she questioned it, and then Anasaimova did bite back on Instagram indicating that there was a blister and it was her middle finger, and it was very like, oh here it is, here it is. So I quite liked that and thought found it quite funny. And for I know we're also an audio, I am finding my rude middle finger up whatever you call it, the bird, So I kind of look whether or not Andreva enjoyed it, I'm guessing Anisimova did enjoy her humor with doing that on Instagram.
Speaker 2: I've got to have a laugh, I know. I kind of like a little bit of rivalry. You're gonna have the storylines school.
Speaker 3: We're not always so nice.
Speaker 8: And they're all friends, well most of them, right like we always see them when the cameras rolling, hugging and all that kind of stuff. So yeah, a little bit of you know, flipping the bird.
Speaker 4: Well, they'll be playing each other in you're in, you're out. They're both too high quality ways. It's great to see you in some over back. Yeah it is, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Can you just really stoke the flames on that rivalry for us? That's great when you're out there on the road. Yeah, I'll try cool so much.
Speaker 1: She needs to give her a few bissenes. Should let the banjo. That's the best way.
Speaker 2: I want to keep this high ring this Yeah, well really high brow, a high interest in like the and the tennis. You know what's really great at the tennis at the moment, courtside bars, they're popping up everywhere. We had one of the AO A few players. I think we started it. We did kick here, but the one in Miami. Jeez, it looked fun either of you courtside.
Speaker 4: But I've got a story on that one. So Kim Burrell was out playing a qualifying match wondering, and I swear it was I couldn't think it was that loud coming the music from the bar. It was off the chart.
Speaker 8: It's the chart for a punter, phenomenal for a player or a co terrific.
Speaker 4: I couldn't think, So I could can't imagine what the you know, the players couldn't think either. So actually, I actually I had to send a message into the referee and say, you have to turn this down. Yeah, it is way too loud, way too late.
Speaker 1: They did, Okay, they did, but it was I mean, it was pumping.
Speaker 2: People were talking about Indian Wells being the coachellor of tennis. Sounds that this one is music festival vibes. But I'll tell you what, there might be a few more middle finger emojis going up with that.
Speaker 1: And that's the fact.
Speaker 2: What's caught your eye for this week? Anything else from Miami folks before we roll on with the rest of the show.
Speaker 7: Well, I thought, you know, one thing for me, and looking at Miami rolling off the back of Indian Wells was just the toll that the sport is taking on some of the best players. And also perhaps how even now we're finding both men's tennis and women's tennis. So having a look at the finalist from Indian Wales and the men's game, So Jack Draper obviously the champion indi In Welles whole garun of the beaten finalist or the runner up, both of those men out.
Speaker 6: Opening match at Miami.
Speaker 7: Okay, then we're seeing things like four lucky losers. So we've got a story to tell about Adam Walton who was one of the beneficiaries of that spot, which is awesome, right, Yeah, But the fact that there's and I think this is actually a credit to where the sport's heading. So now, okay, previous to five or ten years ago, where you go into an event under an injury cloud and you roll up, you go through the motions, potentially you take your paycheck, you may pull out it for one down in the opening set and you're out of there. Now, what you're doing is you're saying to the tournament organizers, hey, folks, I'm not right. I'll grab my second round prize money. Thanks hub her catch as the seated player. But I'm just telling you, and I think it's the right thing. I'm just telling you, I'm not right. I'll take my second run. I think you can do that three or four times over the course of the year, and someone gets a run as a lucky loser. Yeah, that's a better show on for the customer, for the consumer, if you like so. I think that's working. But the talking point for me is, again, year on year, we seem to have the same conversation. Jesus is taking a toll and it's so hard to be And I think prabb you be able to speak to the coaching challenge of this, able to repeat your success week on week and again, I think that's another market for the very best players in the.
Speaker 6: Sport versus the rest of the field.
Speaker 7: Can you find a way to minimize the gap between your best tennis and your worst tennis on any given day? And that, for me, perhaps more than any other measure, speaks of the progress that you might be making your best tennis. Everyone's got a high level on their great days, but what's your bad level? And when that gap is small or smaller, that's indicative for me of real progress.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So what I mean when players are on the tour is what are the key things that really can take their toll the most? Is in combination to every or is it the travel, the match play, the training, Yeah, schedule schedules.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's a combination of everything. You know, Like it's a three hour time difference from Indian Wells to Miami, and whilst it might seem oh it's only three hours, it actually does take its toll in terms of your sleep patterns. The conditions were very different in Miami versus Indian Wells Miami, the courts were different, and then obviously you've got the humidity in Miami as well. So and it's really interesting the events in Indian Wells in Miami because the top players have the buys in the first rounds and so often they're not playing their first round match until sort of Thursday Friday, and I feel like the tournament actually gets really squeezed and condensed, so they actually don't have a lot of time off. And so for you know two one thousands, where it's like, oh it's a ten day, two week event, it's not like that at all for them. So yeah, I just think the matches get condensed, and and I think the fact that like you don't when you don't have days off, like if you're in a tournament, you're constantly on. There's no switching off. And I believe that's what takes its toll. And the best players, I think, manage themselves incredibly well with the people that they hang out with in terms of just taking away all the noise, because that takes its tall.
Speaker 8: Can I just bring up some other key things that have happened in Miami because I would love to get both europeions.
Speaker 1: We've already covered the court side bar. What else is there?
Speaker 3: I'm trying to bring it back to the tennis Tennis.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the shame of the show tennis.
Speaker 8: So this morning Arthur Fees or Arta Fees knocked out Zverev.
Speaker 3: Three six six, three six four. Novak is pushing through.
Speaker 8: He's nearing maybe completing his one hundred singles titles. If he wins Miami, we still have it, am I radicanu in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, is this Radakanu's re emergence? I mean she had this the first time, what at one thousand events, she's made the quarters three years since a USO open.
Speaker 1: When is there anything to watch there or is this a blip?
Speaker 4: I just think it's really interesting. Like the backstory on Radakhani was she tried a new coach, Bladdo Patnek, who had formerly coached Derek Castecino and a number of other players, very very good coach. So she had lost early in Indian Wells, had been doing training with Bladdo out there and then also in Miami, and then all of a sudden, the day before a match, there's no Vlado. So then I'm like, oh, this is really interesting, like who's now coaching Emma. So it turns out that Mark Petchi, your commentator, has been over in the box and Jane o'donna, who who had you know, works for the for the LTA, was there as well. She's been working consistently with her fitness training Attacker. But I thought that was really really interesting and I'm just wondering, you know, was she challenged by some things that Bladdo was working on and.
Speaker 3: It's worked for her.
Speaker 4: But I kind of feel bad for because he was he was out there grinding for the two weeks to into Miami and.
Speaker 3: Then all of that's gone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now he's gone that's so now it's like it's kind of clicking. So yeah, that that's a really interesting one for me. One really interesting one turn.
Speaker 6: Over of coaching stuff in that camp, that's for sure. Yeah, imagine you'd have.
Speaker 7: To look a certain way to attract some of the best coaches of our sports given the kind of track record that's existed there for a period of time.
Speaker 2: Is that the new normal? Like is there more churn than ever before or is it just there's more not to that.
Speaker 3: Extent, No, not.
Speaker 4: I mean Radakani is probably number one in regards to changing over coaches at the.
Speaker 3: Number one at something, don't you.
Speaker 4: But you know what, I love that she's doing. I love that.
Speaker 1: She's doing well.
Speaker 4: She's you know, she's a superstar in our game, and it's great to see her back doing well because she's been struggling with injuries.
Speaker 3: It's terrific. My last question to both of you, will novak win well?
Speaker 6: I think he's looking at goods.
Speaker 7: I think he's clearly been pretty dominant through through the opening and what are we now, opening week or ten days of the event, Sir Andy, back in the camp, through the through the hard court swing they were putting in the hours.
Speaker 6: You know, you can see Pratty's.
Speaker 7: Mentioned the really delayed start that the seeds have at those big events, and I thought, you know, just on a slight side, I thought some of Andy Murray's comments about coaching. I actually found that really insightful on his reflections from Australia, which if I'm just to summarize it was I became obsessive. I've got that obsessive nature anyway, and I just sat in my hotel room and obsessed over the next opponent, you know, trilled through hours and hours of video footage, and only by the end of the event that I start to realize, actually, this is not that healthy for me. I need to get in the gym, I need to go and hit some golf, but I need to find an off switch. Which was a really interesting refashion and the other thing which grabbed me, which you know I kind of applaud the honesty and the vulnerability.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 7: Communication and I'm paraphrase. Communication for me has always been the challenge. And I found that, you know, when you're the coach, and again we've got one of the world's best coaches sitting in the room with us, that there's pulling the team together as well, So he was kind of putting his hand up, going, I didn't do well there either. Like, you've got the physical performance coach to talk to, you might have the sports psychologists, you might have the analytics guy.
Speaker 6: To talk to, and you've got to pull those threads together. Hey, what time we leave in tomorrow morning? You know the left hands talking?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Right, do we need to grab dinner? We've got an issue here in the camp we need to address. And he was kind of going, that wasn't my forte and I wasn't expecting that to be. The caves and all eyes at times are on the coach to pull it together. I think Pratty does a phenomenal job of that of kind of managing the dynamics of the team around what the player needs. So I just thought it was really interesting reflection, an honest reflection from one of the superstars of the sport as to the different challenge that coaching presents as compared to playing.
Speaker 2: That's great, well, Pray, I know you do have to run off soon, but before you go, how was it over there? Seeing Stormy friend of the pod back out there? Kind of taught him at courts over the past few weeks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very exciting to have a back out playing, and I guess it didn't go well to start with in terms of winning. She was on court and she was a little bit rusty in Austin, a little bit slow, but that was to be expected. And then I thought in Indian Wells she actually played a really good match. Sam Stosa was out there because we obviously had the decision to make of who we're going to choose in the BJKA Cup team, and you know, Storm showed enough in the in the matches and the practices as well that she's you know, she's back at that level. So but she hadn't had a win because she lost first round in Inning.
Speaker 3: Well, so we get.
Speaker 4: To Miami and you know, the anxieties starting to get through the roof and yeah, so there was a change in the drawer that I meant to play Sigamund and her dad Mayer, they pulled out and so then they played Lynette and yes Cremska. Yeah yeah, so two good players and so yeah, so to get that first win, that was the monkey off the back. She kind of relaxed after the shakeout, yeah, and then obviously won a match and then lost to the best doubles team in the world, Taylortownsend and Senacaba. So yeah, it was awesome. So the fact that she there were times there where she didn't want to hear it that she was getting better every day. It was all about wins and losses. But yeah, got over that hurdle and it's awesome.
Speaker 1: It back and it's so good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So the doubles she's back, and now we'll start sort of chipping away at getting ready for singles.
Speaker 2: Yes, well we're two weeks out now from the BJK Cup in Brizy.
Speaker 1: How things looking for the team.
Speaker 4: Yeah great, I mean, Kim Birell was consistent again. Qualified in Miami one around, had a close lost in close three three set match to COSTIUK and my joint just you know, again ticking away getting wins. She's in put Avada this week, still going strong, and Eila a little bit of an injury with her with her peck muscle at the moment, but she's due to be playing in Charleston, so hopefully she's all good. And yeah, we've got Allen and Storm the doubles, so a great, great pairing to be able to rely on.
Speaker 2: I mean the Bjkking Cup BJK Cup, BJK Cup is well, you know, it's an amazing tournament.
Speaker 1: You've been there for many years.
Speaker 2: How do you think this tournament fits into women's tennis or tennis at large and what's some of your favorite memories from the event?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think where it fits in for the Australians, which is awesome, is it's in the calendar. Like we actually, Sam and I had a conversation with Eiler and because you know, she'd had some injuries and listen, we understand if it doesn't fit. She's like, no, no, no, it is in my calendar that that's a priority for me. So the fact that representing Australia is a priority for all of our Australian women is it's unreal. It's unreal because they you know, again we spoke about the rigors of travel and the demands and you know, they've got to take care of their own individual rankings. It's not always ideal to fly back to Australia in April. So yeah, so I'm really proud where it's at for our Australian women and has.
Speaker 2: Such an individual sport. It's so great to have a team event that regularly go for us.
Speaker 8: It's great that we've got to hear again as well in Brisbane.
Speaker 1: Come what's your best memory, good or bad?
Speaker 4: My best memory is when we beat the US actually in Ashville, because you know, the the Americans are pretty cocky, you know, they think they're the biggest and the best, and so yeah, we put off We obviously had Ash Barty in the team, which helps a lot. But yeah, we went down to the doubles and we'd been sort of cat and mousing all week about who we were going to put in the doubles, and we sort of let the US team know that we if they came and scouted us. It looked like we were going to put in ash and Astrashama and however, last minute we put in but we'd be preparing her. We put in pre Hon and so pri and ash were playing the deciding doubles. They didn't They literally thought Ashra was playing, so that's kind of muddled all their plans and we won, and so yeah, it was so nice and it was probably more The celebrations afterwards are very quite memorable. Actually, Also, yeah.
Speaker 1: Are you sure you remember them? All?
Speaker 4: I do remember, and I don't know about our captain Elisia at the time, Let's just say she had a great night.
Speaker 1: Great night, rough morning, very good.
Speaker 2: Now, as I mentioned, you are about to run out the door and have something else where are you going tell us all about it?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm running out the door because I've actually got a Women's Coach connect and a virtual series that we provide for women coaches for professional development. So I'm on the panel for that one, giving my insights over the last sort of four weeks out on tour and how that relates to you back at the clubs as well for coaches.
Speaker 1: Oh that's great. How do people get involved in that one?
Speaker 4: Well, if you're a coach member, you can sign up and be a part of But it's all part of the women and Girls strategy with increasing amount of women coaches and providing programs for women coaches within Coach Connects.
Speaker 7: So yeah, and just as a kind of a parting tribute to Pratty, she won't say it.
Speaker 1: She's going to present her a thing. She's not dying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, just as she does.
Speaker 7: Hit out the door though, but being in Miami and kind of seeing firsthand again you know, Storm get the win, but then seeing the emotion on Stormy's face, sure, but on Pratty's face as well in terms of and it just reaffirms for me or reinforces for me the strength of connection between those two. And I mentioned the importance of getting some nourishment from a win and Pratty would have been really challenging storm On. Yeah, but where does the wind come from? Process Pross, But you know, the nourishment needs to come right, So it was really nice to kind of be behind the curtain in that regard. And what about the job that this woman's done with Kim Beryl.
Speaker 1: Because incredible a few years.
Speaker 7: Back Kim reached might have been a couple of years back now, Kim reached a career high at that time of one hundred on the button in the world right, and after that her ranking slid for a variety of reasons. Kim this week, I think is on the live rankings, I think is at sixty one in the world and chatting to Pratty in Miami that Pratty's not satisfied with that, but she wants to go higher again. Job that this woman continues to do with our best players and a couple of pivotal members of the b JK Cup squad.
Speaker 6: There, I just tip my cap. I'm full of admiration for the work that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that was legit.
Speaker 1: He meant every bloody work.
Speaker 7: You can when you when you're on the road, you can see the emotion and the connection and the way that Praddy has been able to challenge Kim and support her.
Speaker 6: And she's not finished yet. I guess that is what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: And it's so good to hear it from your words because you get it. So then we always thought you were good. Then to hear somebody why, Yeah, now we've got a little.
Speaker 1: Bit more contact. Coach, you cares.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and sacrifice too, right, Okay, ten or eleven days to Miami and it's hard my partner back here with three young kids, and no less of a sacrifice for Pratdy to go for three and four weeks and go again to Europe.
Speaker 6: And so I just want to applaud her commitment to a players.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll keep on keeping on on that note.
Speaker 1: But you're welcome.
Speaker 2: Found the button at last, Thank you very much, Freddy. JK Cup sales Tickets are available for the tie in Brisbane. Jump on a tickermaster. It sounds like it's going to be an absolute ripper. Thank you so much for joining us. Pratty, We'll let you go. You can head off to your coach's conference. After the break, we'll have Craig Tiley see Tennis Australia joining us and giving us his take on the world of tennis and the upcoming Olympics in Brisbane. Stick around, Welcome back to the Tennis special guest joining us now it is the one and only Craig Tiley, See of Tennis Australia and tournament director of the Australian Open. Welcome Boss, good to be here right again. I'm calling this segment career limiting moves save you.
Speaker 5: You know, I know you well enough that pretty much every time for you to career exactly, not just you know, a podcast.
Speaker 2: It's nine years later you have one. Take that company, man. So Craig, what have you been up to?
Speaker 5: You're happy happy, I'm always happy. Okay, we've noticed that a happy slam the happy Boss. Yeah no, no, it's a things are going great. Look, there's a lot going on internationally. If you just read about it with it'd be lawsuits and and and I think it's all positive in the sense it's positive. It's about a situation being better for everyone, better for tournaments, better for players, and we're a great sport together with football. Every single nation in the world we have a federation. Every single nation is the two top sports global in participation of tennis and football. I love saying that because it puts everyone else in their place, and it's true. The facts are there, but we suboptimize ourselves. You know, we have seven different governing bodies, each in many cases have different objectives. We have four shining lights and those are the Grand Slams every year in London, Paris, New York and of course Melbourne. And these are you know, these are amongst the best, not just tennis events, but sporting events globally. They can play a role in ensuring that one the players have a great schedule, the fans have a great narrative that they can understand where players go from A to B. The players are playing all the top events. The players have an off season. The players are compensated as best as they possibly we possibly can compensate them and more so, it's a pretty simple outcome. But the challenge we do is when you have so many different governing bodies leaning in is they're not spending time together to try and get to that outcome. So the things that are happening are probably going to be really good leavers to force everyone to get to a point that's going to be better for this.
Speaker 1: Well, it's been interesting.
Speaker 2: It's because you know, all these organizations, governing bodies have their own kind of priorities and things they're working towards, and because of that lack of communication, historically they almost been competing.
Speaker 1: But when you look at it, realize we're all rowing in the same direction.
Speaker 5: Well we are because we're trying to you know, and different objectives. You know, the International Test Federations the objective more growing the sports. They work close to the federations, the wt A and the A to B, the professional arm on the tour, and they have a responsible for all events. They have labor and management in the same under the same umbrella, and that's always really difficult because you've got the players and you've got the tournament. So that has worked. I think it works less effectively today than it did work when was set up. People would argue against that. This is my personal view, but but it's been managed okay to this point. But what we do. We all know this bigger opportunity. That's been very clear. We've the data is it's irrefutable the facts. This bigger opportunity if you can have all these major improvements, and some of those improvements involve breaking glass. It's not just an incremental involve breaking glass. And that's why there's this frustration amongst the playing group on things not going in the direction at that hope to go in. This frustration on the tournament side that you know, are we two crowd as an event, This frustration on the fans. You ask a fan what's going on today in tennis, and only those diehards really know. The fans do know. Generally, the general fan knows when they know when the four Grand Slams are happening. With the four Grand Slams are and then outside of that, it drops off a cliff as far as fan interest. And so we have to close that gap if we want the sport to keep growing. So everyone's in it for the right reason, which is great and the right objective, but it's just like everything human beings, the pane of change is greater than the pain of losing, So people to lose the change.
Speaker 1: Just writing that down to Embroider on a pillow. Very good.
Speaker 8: Speaking of change, Yeah, like moving a little bit more closer to home here in Brisbane. We had an update this week about funding that's been secured for upgrades to the Queensland Tennis Center ahead of our twenty thirty two Brisbane Olympic Games.
Speaker 3: Why is this so important for us?
Speaker 5: Well, this is this is the biggest infrastructure investment we've had since that we had Melbourne Park back in twenty ten I think it was. So it's fantastic. Great, we've got the Games in Brisbane and now that we're the Queenstantatas is a fantastic venue and to have one hundred and thirty million dollars of additional funds put into We do need a second court for the Olympic Games, but also for events that we're going to have up there. We do need more courts on the facility on the venue, which we would have had to have anyway. For the events that we're doing. We have some of our top athletes training up there as well, so we do need a facility that suits one of the best hype of formance environments we can create globally. We also do need which is currently going to be built into the scope. We are going to need at some point more seats in Powder After Arena, whether it be now or later, but that's some point that's going to need to come up. So that's going to come into that's going to build into a magnificent facility. We'd like to see the same expansion in Sydney at some point. We've seen some great investment by the South Australian government into Adelaide for a venue that fits really well for the events that we have there. We're now working with Perth and Wa government to get something there because we think that that's what that's missing for that. Now we've seen an upgrade in Hobot, we're going to see more of an upgrade coming up now with Lonsistance come online, we're going to we had an upgrade in Camera. So these all great infrastructure investments, but the size of this one is significant. So we're very excited about it and very appreciative to the current Queensland government and to the federal government for any role that they played.
Speaker 3: Yeah amazing. I just want to thank me for always believing in me.
Speaker 1: And yeah, thanks Mia to really put that well.
Speaker 2: Now also how before we move on, if you had a few hundred million bucks, what would you do to make Melbourney from better?
Speaker 5: I would find a parking lot for you and your tesla.
Speaker 1: I've been asking for.
Speaker 3: We need to hide that test.
Speaker 5: Does not respond to that one, No, but look for a start, We've got a great facility here. But like everything, you got to keep evolving, keep changing. And we've in many parts of the our three week event, we've reached capacity and we're not. We don't want to build a strategy of more people. We want to build a strategy of great experience for those people that come. And so that's you know we've got We've got opening week that will put more effort into the third week, put more effort into But but there's an opportunity for fans to come out and see Tennessee players, and we want them to be we want that to be not any memorable experience, but something that say they have to come back next year because that was so good. That's was my best experience. So, like everything, you got to keep evolving. So on the precinct over here, definitely we want to reduce the amount of temporary infrastructure we have to invest in multimillions of dollars a year we invest in temporary infrastructure to rip it down again. Just to rip it down again. It does not sustainable proposition. So, whether it be facilities for broadcast, whether it be more more I've said to the team it's I add another s. Actually there's three s's. We need more seats, need more shade, we need more space. And then this week we ad another screw. We need more screens, because screens translates to the virtual side of our business, this off site, so the off site fan, more screens, more opportunity of those screens for the millions of people that watch it, well billions now that watch them, that engage screens on your device or screens at home on TV. But yeah, so so, seat, shade, space and screens are the cash phrases for what we need here to invest more in.
Speaker 1: That's another pillow I need to order. Well.
Speaker 2: Sticking with the AO, dates have been not leaked, they've been announced for next year, kicking off with opening week on Monday, the twelve twelfth of January and men's final on the first effair.
Speaker 5: What have we got in store? Well, really excited about twenty twenty six. We finally now always sly we dominate January. Now we're getting to dominate February's for US next year. But and then there's there's a little football event a couple of weeks after in the US, but a big football event.
Speaker 2: So you're saying exclusive here the super Bowl will be played at Melbourne Park, No.
Speaker 5: That would be that would be good. There is there's something else though, obviously in Melbourne twenty twenty six are going to be a brilliant We've already spoken about some initiative or internally some initiatives that we want to really give to our fans and around making sure that we have more shade, more seats, more space. We're going to that's going to be something that we're going to grow. And there's going to be again two or three transformative initiatives that are going to completely wow fans. We're not going to announce those yet. At the right time we'll announce those and we want everyone's experience to be special and those fans that came on site this year, we want them to be able to even see more tennis. Yep, it's closer to the action. So we're going to create the site that does provide that bright enough for content out there for them to do that, and then to have more opportunities to eat, more opportunities to get and enjoy our retail, and more opportunities spend a lot more time on the precinct, and and again go away and say, now that's what I want every sporting experience to be.
Speaker 1: Love it well.
Speaker 2: On the tennis side of things, so the US Open, they were recently claiming they're elevating their mixed doubles by moving them into the there for opening week with some big name singles players playing in the doubles tournament. Are we doing anything to elevate our doubles.
Speaker 5: We're not doing what the US Open are doing. Look, I think that works very well for New York, it works well for the US Open, and it works getting some big names to play those two days. We already have that opening week, and we'll see more of this week. So Monday, every night there's going to be matches with the top players in the world. There'll be women playing with men playing, will be all the top players. They'll also extend into the afternoons. We're played on the stadiums, will play on MCA, we'll playing Rod Lea Arena so our fans for the opening weeking and to get to see great players play matches against each other. And that works really well for us, and we've seen it. We filled stadiums on that the Novak Jokovic and I, the Carls, al Karez, Alex Demna, all night, we fill stadiums and so so we're going to see a lot more of that and announce a lot more activities around that for twenty twenty six. The Mixed Doubles Championships that we currently have is thirty two draws sixty four players. Is really an important event for us to provide playing opportunities for our fans, particularly the end of the first week and the whole of the second week. So if we pulled out more matches on the second week and put them into the opening for the first week a game, we just crowded the opportunity. So we definitely want to keep it that way. Ozzie's a tradition done really well in the mixed Championship, so I cannot see us changing the Mixed doubles Championships.
Speaker 6: We're looking at ways.
Speaker 5: We're sitting down with the doubles players, both the men and women's doubles players and looking for ways that we can make even doubles more exciting. I'm a big believer in doubles. I think it could be that you Manu one of the most creative people in the company. You come up with something, but endorsement, there's a from your ego. But anyway, so yeah, so that's an important championship for us. What I'd like to do is what we have within it. There's many things I'd like to see in the game. I'd like to see us take away the let's I'd like to see us take away the warm up. I'd like to see us obviously do some different things with scoring. I've always advocated for only one serve, but that's pipe dream because that completely changes the game. But I think there's some things we need to do within the game that make it better. And then the way the game is played through through doubles and mixed doubles. Now we can really blow it out the water and you can shorten play shorter sets and and I'm not a fan of that. I the Grand Slams have a uniqueness where you played three out of five sets on the men's side, sled two of three sets on the woman's side, and there's an argument about you know, men and weren't being paid the same, and there's only three sets and five so that I don't buy that. Eedicts It's got nothing to do with the length of time on the court. It's got everything to do with the value that you bring to the sport. So so yeah, so I think we're in a good We're in a good spot. And I don't think I think if I asked Ozzie players what you want to do with mixed doubles and have the superstars play the first two weeks, we'll keep it as I think the ninety nine point nine standards, they keep it as.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think with storms take away where it was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so maybe you should ask them. That's good. That'll be good data for me because I've had an asked them what they think and they've all said that that they're like, what we've gone?
Speaker 3: Yeah, storm definitely back to that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah throughout Stormy. We've got your back.
Speaker 3: Quick. What's your next?
Speaker 1: My next question? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, so before Craig, you were CEO here and parking enforcement officer or whatever you're doing. Yes, you were a tennis coaching. Yeah, doing a bit, but I had no idea you were also a comedy coach. So Michael Costa, who is a former tennis player, which not everyone may know, but he's a correspondent, part time host of the Daily Show in America, stand up comedian.
Speaker 1: He's written a book, Lucky Loser.
Speaker 2: Tell us about your knowledge of this tone that I'm holding up after that?
Speaker 5: I did. I actually have read the book. He's done a great job with the book. And I've been a long journey with Mike. He's he's a bret In person, got a lot of talent. And even though he got I think to eight hundred and sixty eight in the world whatever it.
Speaker 2: Was, which as he says on the back is in parentheses, it's still better than you, meaning the reader of the book, which is a very good point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, any any player in their career got inside the top eight hundred. But I know he was on John Stuart the other night and it was very funny because he he introduced himself eight sixty eight whatever it is, and he introduced himself and and everyone laughed that that's the highest he got it. And then everyone stopped laughing, and he said to them he said, he said, I don't think you should know. You should laugh because I am actually the most famous tennis player you'll ever meet anyone else below that. So so it's very funny. He's very funny on our van trips coaching and raising. You know that in college tennis, he always used to be the funniest guy on the trip. And I and I actually do remember when we were in California, and I think it was in his junior year and we used to have these team challenges and he always was a laugh a minute with Mike. But he's also good tennis. But he did a good job on our team. And he always gives me a hard time about not playing him high. But he played where he should have played at the time, and and he but but we remember having a chat to him about and I said, you know, you're an opportunity for other career and comedy. But one of the things we did in Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica and we were playing Pepperdine University is I challenged the team and I said, each of you need to go out and who can raise the most money busking in the next two hours on thirst freet promenade Michael when got a American speeder and that's all he want. He stood in a soapbox and he went through this whole siloquy of a narrative and he raised the most money. So so, yeah, so I think I think it was it was something along those lines. I can't exactly remember what his comedy was, but but he was always it was a funny guy. But he's had he's having a great career, you know, and I'm very proud of him and what he's created and what he's done. The journey's been on is more difficult than it is becoming a tennis player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. Well you've done it right with your career too.
Speaker 5: You scold work hard. I mean, you know, I don't know, there's there's no big secret. When does that working hard for you start? Like, what's the time frame? Is that going to kick in soon? Yeah? Probably sometime next year? Long lunches, I would shut up if I was.
Speaker 1: You've got to push about your career limiting moves.
Speaker 5: He was high when we started. He's falling fast a high yeah yea hig.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well okay, let's bring it back to base peeps to round us out for this week and every week we do our thing called Ace of the Week.
Speaker 1: Doesn't have to be tense related. In fact, I berefer it wasn't ure. What's the rest of the week.
Speaker 8: So viv Christie, who is in my team, and she's back from Africa.
Speaker 5: I saw the pictures and I'm.
Speaker 8: Really excited she's back because I love working. I think I was thinking this morning, I think she's one of my favorite people I've ever worked with.
Speaker 1: Ye in the corporate world.
Speaker 2: Did it even make the top ranked eight hundred and sixty two weeks?
Speaker 8: Is my anxiety? Yeah, but no, it's just so happy to have her back. She had a great break. She switched off as much as I could make her, which is great, and I'm just so excited to see her face today.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And the best place in the world to go have a holiday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've never been, but it's maybe.
Speaker 1: What we have to do it.
Speaker 5: Everyone needs to, Craig, it needs to be a bucket listing. I've been spoiled. I grew up and yeah, it's a bucket list thing. You have to do it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Well, hopefully that's my the week next week and Craig is taking me on his family holiday.
Speaker 2: Yes, another kid for the to feed. Keep very happy and you can catch me Christy on the sit Down one of our sister podcasts next week with fifth Very good. Well, yeah, Eddie's good to see her back in the office, Razor, what about yourself? Been sitting there very quietly last few minutes.
Speaker 8: Just that's because you've been taking Craig going on and on.
Speaker 1: You do talk a lot in the company line.
Speaker 3: We were supposed to share the questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gave you the first one.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 7: One was coming back from Miami, obviously along haul home and just how exciting it is to to see my three young kids again. And I made my debut on land a Tuesday morning and Tuesday sort of lunchtime early afternoon, my eldest had his first cross country. He's just started school this year, so I've made my debut as a cross country parent. And I tried to remain as well, give us the stats, try to be in the background, just observing.
Speaker 1: Your background.
Speaker 7: I was in the background, just observing, and he did well. My young fellows were very proud of him, but just lovely to be back with the kids again would be my highlight after being on the road for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: I thought you're going to say, seventeen hours of complete bliss and quietness in the air, But no, actually.
Speaker 7: That's what you're sounding very much like Anna there, and I've been paying for it since landing with that type of mindset on the home front.
Speaker 1: You'll continue to do.
Speaker 7: Paying for that couple of weeks of solid Yeah, exacxactly, don't you start exactly how bloody grew?
Speaker 5: Well, we all get it, exactly.
Speaker 1: What about you, Craig. What's your ace of the week?
Speaker 5: Mine was? I look, I don't remember much past the last twenty four hours. That's really concerned. It is concerning, but that's why. That's what's good about my life. So that if that happens, so I didn't never bother, that's good. You just move on this, move on and live in the present and look forward to the future.
Speaker 1: I forget about so nothing is anything happened the last night?
Speaker 5: Yes, I think, Well, last night I was at had a really cool function and in this job involves a lot of going in a stakeholder relationships, relationship building. But there was a thirty five year celebration of the Big Group. So Bruce and Chica, Bruce and Chica, Cuba and and it was it was a bit of a who's who of Melbourne in the event, but it was it was great to connect with everyone. But what was great is Eddie McGuire gave a speech and Bruce Keeper gave a speech and they both did an unbelievable job around talking about Melbourne, the place we live, the city we live, and why it's so important to have major events, why it's so important to collaborate on major events, and why it's so important to invest in major events, what it means for the city. Edie maguire gave a story about the Trobe and how it all started back in two hundred years ago or one hundred and fifty years ago, and so it was just really cool to hear the then thirty and then and then I love hearing stories of success and and Bruce and Cheek you came from pretty much working as weight stuff for Peter Rowlands to now building this multimillion dollar business that's having a massive impact on people's lives. So it was it was cool to be there and then to connect with all of Melbournian's and it's just a good reminder we're very lucky that we have, the city we have and the people we have in the city we have.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I saw a few picks on social and it looked like a damn good night.
Speaker 5: It was a good night. It was. It was a good night.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, I'll finished my ace of the week. I had a few to choose from, but I've decided to go with this one. Has anyone ever added the wrong person to a group text chat?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Are you once?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Exactly, that's right. Took you walked back from that one pretty well. It's good. The photo was not appreciated, but but I will say so in the States at the moment, Michael Waltz, who's the National Security Advisor, it's probably been, you know, in everyone's ease and all the news added the editor of The Atlantic and news magazine in America to a pretty contentious group chat with the Vice president, the head of the CIA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all these things talking about you know, war.
Speaker 2: Plans and all these things, and there's a journalistit in there, going this can't be true.
Speaker 3: Did you see he's just leaked the message?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the whole over the.
Speaker 8: Past twenty four hours, because they were saying there was nothing there talking.
Speaker 1: About hang on.
Speaker 2: It was like, actually, here's the timeline of that innovation that you were planning. And I just got to thinking about all the texts that you've sent to the wrong person. I'll be talking to you about Bree, but then I'll send the message to Bree and you know, part of it feels for them. But also if you if you've got a big, important job, just be careful. So that's words for you, Craig. Thanks, be careful.
Speaker 5: Listen to one word of it, but thank you for it.
Speaker 1: That's all right, you rarely do listen to it.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, thank you very much everyone for being a part of our show today and pratting for dropping it earlier that Craig you stole his seat, so thanks for doing that. Join us again next week as we hit the clay. Nipmccaba will be joining us from the WTA five hundred in Charleston. And in the meantime, don't forget you can watch this episode and every episode of the Tennis on the Australian Open YouTube channel. Hit like and subscribe. Make sure you never miss a notification. It's not just the pod, there's heaps of other tennis content there. Thank you very much team have a great week in tennis seven days