Speaker 1: The Unplayable Podcast is probably presented by quantas the official podcast partner and the official airline partner of Cricket Australia. Once again this season, Quantus is proudsby flying Australia's cricketers as they take on the world. Hey, everybody, welcome to the Unflavable Podcast, Day five here at the SCG and Australia have sealed the Ashes win for one with a five wicket victory here and we're now sitting in the Bradman stand that to the left of the members here at the SCG. We've just been through the press conferences Steve Smith, Mitchell Stark, Ben Stokes, they've all wrapped up the series and now we're gonna try and do the same. Josh Anafinker here joined by Lewis Cameron. And it was a bit of a tricky chase for Australia. They only needed one hundred and sixty, but it was a bit tough for substages today, wasn't that.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Super tough, very nervy, kind of forty run partnership there between Green and Carry finally got him home.
Speaker 4: There was a runout of Manus Labushane.
Speaker 3: There was some DRS drama earlier with Jake the World that really set Ben's Stokes off, but overall a really nice it was a nice day. I mean it was quired gets the guard of honor from from Stokes who had been enraged not that not that long before, and and looked like who's you know they're going to come to blows with weather or who's seen to be infuriating. But all in all, the asher spirit was there and we believe that the two teams might have a beer. It might even be happening as we as we kind of speak. But yeah, as you mentioned, we've just got a beautiful view out over the seg turf. You've got families, you've got kids using little chairs as stumps, and it's a very nice scene.
Speaker 1: Yes, Steve Smith said that yours have invited England in for a drink. I think that was the case last time as well, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: But well no, the last time it was the invitation never never ever arrived, I think, or the door to the England change room never was unlocked, I believe is the Australian version of events.
Speaker 4: But hopefully they can let bygones be go by gones, all.
Speaker 2: Right, so it was flour one victory overall.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the chase, because Jacob Bethel was out.
Speaker 2: Forty three minutes into the day.
Speaker 1: He didn't add too many runs to his overnight total of one hundred and forty two, but he did finish with one hundred and fifty four, an amazing knock. We gave him lots of credit yesterday and yeah, he's certainly a player for the future. But in the chase, yeah, there were certainly some talking points. So let's start with a Jake Weatherold DRS decision, because there were a few. England had a few chances very early on Brighton cast with a couple of LB shouts and then this one around the wicket, a slashing shot from Weatherold seems to have missed it. But England go upstairs and there's a little murmur on snickoloo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, prior to that, like it wasn't it was pretty low quality cricket really, like it felt like maybe two teams were pretty tired, and I think Travis Heads dismissed them not long after that probably reflected that. But yeah, the stuff broaden Cast was buying, I don't want to say too loud because they're within his shots. I'm just going to lean into the microphone here, but you know that was that was some real played five tests in this series and not one hundred sent or where they're going at this stage. But yeah, he bowls and that ball to weather Orld was an example of that. It's a wild ball, it's a cut shot. It looks let's be honest, it looks like Jake Weatherold has towed that and the sneako shows that faint little murmur what Stoke said in his press conference just now, and which people who are listening to this podcast, they probably the type of people who have listened to social media. Sorry, go on social media and read articles about this kind of thing, and they'll see what Stoke says about it, Like I kind of agree with right, like he has basically said, we can all tell that it's out. The issue, as far as we understand, is well two issues. A the audio recording device. The technology isn't that good that there's a superior version. I'm not completely across the details of it, but this isn't the best technology. It's cheap technology, and the ICC won't pay for the more expensive technology, and the other thing is like, it's not that bad, right, Like you can there is a the ball goes past the toe of the bat and you can see a murmur and you think, well, that's it. Can't be anything else. He's not shuffling his feet at the time. But Kumar Damassin that even if you wanted to, he can't give it out because the rules and regulations state unless you're you know, you've got the thing marrying up completely and there's a spike above a certain amount of wavelength or whatever it is that you know, only in those circumstances can you overturn decision to give it out. So that would have been really frustrating for England because they were on the verge of cracking this game open and maybe you know, wrestling the score line back to three too, and the scheme of things like maybe that's not that big a deal, like they'd already lost a series.
Speaker 4: But I'll tell you what, three to two.
Speaker 3: Looks a whole lot different to four one, And you can understand why Stokes was so enraged. Do you want to go into some of the post antics.
Speaker 2: Of that, Well, yeah, I guess we should.
Speaker 1: Because Stokes had a long discussion with the standing umpire rasa after that was given not out. They could all see it on the big screen and they and that's probably heightened their confusion because the Bambi army was cheering every time the frame with.
Speaker 2: The murmur came on to screen.
Speaker 1: Murmur because it's not a spy because but it is definitely more than a flat lion, so there's something there.
Speaker 4: It was a deviation in the wavelength.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess you could say that. Yeah, picking of the.
Speaker 4: Wavelength was flatch and then it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: And so after a long discussion, we get to the next ball. It's basically a carbon copy cast is again wide, whether it again throws his hands at it again misses it this time definitely misses it.
Speaker 3: And then only because it was wider than the previous delivery. He couldn't he couldn't reach his bat that fast.
Speaker 1: And then whether all and Cars really come face to face. I think Cars is approaching whether or he has a few words to say, and Jake's not wanting to back down, so he sends a few words back in the other direction. Then Harry Brooke comes in for a look as well, before Ben Stokes and Travis Head also come in for a look. We also noticed that the non striker's end, when that ball flew through to the keeper, Travis Head threw his hands up as if he was appealing, so stirring up a bit as well from the non strikers, and Travis said, he loves it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, Cars, Cars was filthy and he was just looking looking for someone to be angry at. Really, Like, first of all, he kind of turns on Raza, and poor old Rasa is like, mate, it's not my decision. Well, I mean it was his decision in the first place. But you could understand why he couldn't have heard. I mean that that would have been a really tough one to hear it. You either hear it or he didn't. It was a tiny murmur. If Snicker was only just picking that up, you can understand why Rasa didn't. But Cars didn't see it that way. Stokes had to drag him away from Raza, and then Stokes kind of went back at him and tried to, you know, tried to pick up the threat of the argument.
Speaker 4: But yeah, Cars is just looking for someone to be angry with. And he gets in whether it's face, you know.
Speaker 3: Whether or just he's loving it right because he knows he's gotten away with one and he's just got this big, big, you know big I was going to say something eating grin on his face and you know that really annoyed him and it kind of set things off. Then next ball gets a ball on his hip, tucked it down the fine leg and I think there's some more words exchanged it all. It was all pretty head in the moment there.
Speaker 1: Thankfully drinks were called at that point and I think the umpires were pretty happy that they were because the teams were then separated and everyone could take a deep breath and move on. But I mean, as you sort of touched on, Travis Head got off to a bit of a fly with Jake Weatherall. But then Australia lost five to sixty. We could go through a few of those wickets if we want this. Travis Head one was a bit of a slog. I mean, he's had a bit of a slog. He's had a great series and he was trying to obviously finish it pretty quickly. Skyed at good catch from cars who ran around and then Jake Weatherill he was out a court by Matthew Potts.
Speaker 2: A strange one.
Speaker 1: He looked like he was maybe trying to leave it caught in two minds, a short ball that sort of ballooned off the periscope almost and then Potts came running in from what was it a fine leg in the air to take a good diving catch. I watch.
Speaker 3: I had to watch the replay back too, because I was like, I was riding it in my metropolt. I'm like, hang, where did he come from? Because the ball was outside his eye line just and he somehow kind of got it back above his kind of over his left or right should want to be shoulders back over to fine legs.
Speaker 4: So it was a stranger one, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: That was a bit bizarre and it means whether it'll finishes the series with two hundred and one runs. There's one not out there in the chase in Brisbane for comparison, Ben Duck at two hundred and two runs, so those two basically side by side. Steve Smith has continually said opening is the hardest placed about, especially in Australia at the moment, so it will be interesting to see if the selectors persist with whether or all beyond this series.
Speaker 3: You really hope, because I think I'm not sure if it's the first Test of that next year is against Bangladesh or the second, but it's there's a Test in Darwen, and that would be pretty special for Jake to play that one. Yeah, he hasn't quite nailed he's spot down, but I think he's just showed a lot and I'd be surprised if they deviated away from him, given it looks that like Head is all but kind of locked into stay as an opener, which is just a remarkable. If we sat in these chairs, you know, two months ago and said Travis is Australia's long term opener after hitting six hundred and twenty nine runs from that position, you know we would have laughed here. And also, I should say made six hundred runs and not won the Compton Miller Medal. So it kind of showed just what an incredible series Mitchell Stark had.
Speaker 2: But do you think he had deserved the Player of the Series.
Speaker 3: I reckon they made the right call only only because of Stark's runs. Not only because of Stark's runs, but the runs in addition to the wickets playing all five Tests, you know the context of stepping up in the absence of Josh Hazerwood. Pat Cummins only played one Test, Nathan Lyone only played one Test. That was just a phenomenal performance from Mitchell Stark. I think it's the highest wicket tally by an Australian international series since Johnson in twenty thirteen to fourteen. And in terms of all round series, you're up there with ye Johnson in thirteen to fourteen where he made about one hundred and fifty runs warning in five with that, with that amazing.
Speaker 4: Series, so absolutely a deserved winner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, going back to that kind of passage you played, what was that early afternoon, I thought England's lack of a frontline spinner really came back to bite them. You know, you might have said the same thing about Australia at times as Bethel, you know, romped to one hundred and fifty odd, like there was a lot of really poor spin bowling bold in this match. Bo Webster was probably the best spinner in this in this match. And look that says a lot because the guy I don't think I've seen maybe saw him practicing at once in the nets this series, but he basically said yesterday the less you practice them, the better you get at it. Like that's and that's fine for him, like he's not a frontline spinner Norse travers head. But I think it's a bit of an indictment on both teams, you know, they just misread this pitch. Like Smith later said that he thought the cracks would open up and earlier and come into play earlier. Well, that didn't quite happen. And yeah, I think hedging it would have been a safer pick honestly, to pick pick Todd Murphy, I think, instead of bow Webster of Cameron Green, but it's hard to argue with it given what Webster is on in this yeraries.
Speaker 4: I said, I'd get back to the wickets. How's that going for me?
Speaker 1: Well, Webs's contribution can't big night, of course, But I mean it was traditional Test cricket because the longer the game went on, the more prevalent spin was becoming, wasn't it. And I think a great example of that was Will Jackson's dismissal of Steve Smith. He's just bowled one of the greatest players of spin, bowling through the gate with an absolute peach and Steve Smith couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: I don't think Will Jacks could believe what he's pulled off as well.
Speaker 1: I hit the foot marks, spun an absolute mile and it's clipped a middle and leg stump. I mean he's not going to bowl a better ball than his entire career.
Speaker 3: No, And I mean he didn't bowl many balls that landed in those footmarks at all. And the one he did, you imagine if he had Nathan Lyon bowling on that wicket. You imagine even if you know Todd Murphy. Yeah, he's probably not as good as Lyne yet you know, he wouldn't be as accurate, but he would have been a real handful shold bit like this would have been if we're kind of looking at to the future for England. Doesn't mean they're punting on this Test, but you know, this would have been the one where should be Sheer could have played. You know what did Will Jacks give you with with the with the bat? You know, it was pretty pathetic really, and how he performed in the field was poor as well, So a really poor Test match for him overall. And yeah, it kind of opened the door, didn't it, Because that was when usmon Kawaja came out to bat.
Speaker 2: What a beautiful moment.
Speaker 1: Kawada got his one final bat here at the SCG, walking down those members' stairs and then over the sign painted on the outfield. Thanks was he number four nineteen standing ovation from the crowd and then yeah, as you touched on a guard of honor, which he said after play he didn't quite expect England would give to him. So that was a nice touch from Ben Stokes and the team. And although his innings didn't last long, there is a nice aspect that he got to walk off and then soak it in himself because if he hit the winning runs, I mean, it all gets lost in the end of the match, doesn't that.
Speaker 4: I suppose, and it would have been pretty nice.
Speaker 2: But he also got his moment there.
Speaker 1: He waved to his wife in the crowd, Rachel, who was crying, so he said he knew where she was sitting, and then he went down and said a prayer in front of that sign that was painted there for him. So a really nice moment and a really nice way to sign off an eighty eight test career.
Speaker 4: You are right though, because the moment only belonged towards it. Yeah, like it was all for him. I think that's that's actually a really good point.
Speaker 3: I really liked how Marnus, who was at the other end and beautifully I should say, you know, went over to.
Speaker 4: Him and hugged him.
Speaker 3: Like Marnus is almost like the he's almost like the uncle who just gets you know, a bit teary at every Christmas.
Speaker 4: Like he and I really mean that in a.
Speaker 3: Nice way, like he really feels the emotions of these things. I think back to a couple of it, like when Travis Head was walking off after playing that unbelievable innings in a Metabad, Marnas ran after him and kind of had that he wanted that moment with him, like he wanted Trapp to be not out so they could celebrate the winning runs together. But he just created that moment for himself and the team anyway, And it's important every team needs a manus Lavishet I think.
Speaker 4: And yeah it was. His innings was shortly. He could have been out twice.
Speaker 3: Really, like the if Ben Stokes hadn't been moved by will I mean another Paul will Jack's decision to move Stokes from slip to a bit of a wider first slip and then the ball woozy edge one exactly where Stokes would have been. But yeah, then Uzzi gets this ball from Josh Tungue that that kind of comes back a superb spell from Josh Toungue today, I thought, you know, it really reinforces what a talent they've gotten. You know, maybe that they should have played him earlier in the series, as we've been going on about. But you know, when manas Labershain then runs himself out, I mean I heard Alex carry on the broadcast kind of took responsibility for it, and that he said that the o's manus a couple of beers. I thought that was pretty kind from Alex's end, maybe a bit of shared responsibility, But I don't think there was ever a run there.
Speaker 4: And he was a badding beautifully like.
Speaker 3: He looked like the one who was playing the spin the occasional turnout of the rough almost better than anyone who was hitting through the off side. Beautifully, wasn't allowing Jacks or Joe Route to settle the way he was reversed sweeping, and I really on go to kind of depart when he did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think minus a Labashane always looks disappointed when he gets out. But there was an especially disappointed feel about today. After he was run out and the battles were taken off and the check was happening, he just stayed in position on his knees on the pop increase, and I mean didn't go back to chat to his partner, Alex carry So maybe Lavashane did blame Carry a bit for that one. But eventually the decision came up on the screen and everybody knew before it said out that he was going to be walking off there.
Speaker 3: It was like a man waiting for the guillotine, wasn't like on his knees, And yeah, it set up this really kind of hairy last last little period where all of a sudden, you know, Carrie and Green, you know the remember Andrew McDonald spoke earlier this year, is about promoting Alex Carey above or up in the order when Green was at five, so that they could keep him together because he likes They like the combination of those two batting together. I mean they could have run each other out, you know, four or five times, including twice on the same ball when there were there was a hairy single bit of a mix up.
Speaker 4: They finally went for it.
Speaker 3: Green's kept running way past the stumps and there's some overthrows and carry's all the way down the halfway down the wicket thinking not only can I get back for a second run, but ken Cameron Green basically run two and a half runs from how far back he was coming, and then he hesitated. It was kind of crazy stuff and it just felt like every single was really nervous. You go back to the weather or thing. If they've been able to make that breakthrough a bit earlier, and you know, if their new ball bowlers a bowl a little bit better, you know, things could have been really different, like this was a this was a knife sench Chase. I know it. It will end up saying that Australia won by five wickets and they had some decent batters in the sheds.
Speaker 4: But I'll tell you what if you got your bowler's niece.
Speaker 3: A stark bowl and coming out to bat needing to hit five ten runs, you know, all bets are off.
Speaker 1: And of course Ben Stokes wasn't there. He couldn't bowl either with that a ductor issue, and then Matthew Potts, ben Stokes didn't have the conviction to go to Potts who was hammered in the first inning, so he went mostly the spin and then Josh Tungue, as you touched, on three wickets takes him to eighteen for the series, an amazing return from only three Tests.
Speaker 3: It was basically last man's standing stuff for England. I mean there's been Stokes, you know, valiantly trying to play through this injury. He's lost three of his fast bowlers, you know, Carson Tungue were really the only frontline bowlers he had left.
Speaker 4: I mean, Jackson and Bethel and Route, we're just not up to it.
Speaker 3: Like that was just, you know, collectively, what do they They've kind of conceded sixty odd from round about twelve overs on a wicket that's turning a lot, you know, and they still Australia still were five downs, So yeah, they.
Speaker 4: Just ran out of troops at the end of Yeah.
Speaker 1: And if we can reflect a bit on the squad, I mean we were a bit surprised when they picked six frontline fast bowlers for this series. But I think if you go back and listen, Kane Richardson was saying that there will be one or two who break down. I don't think even he would have expected that their main three were going to break down. You've got to have experience bowling in these conditions. Mitch Stark has spoken about that a lot. He flagged it before the series as well, didn't Hey, So that has certainly let them down and left them, Yeah, very shorthanded when it came to the back end of this series, because I mean, yeah, with a few more troops able to contribute on the final couple of days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who knew here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, it feeds into this narrative about England being potentially underprepared and not really knowing who they were as a team.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 3: You know what Ben Stokes said in the press conference just now. He said they were in an initiating place as a team and they're basically what we've achieved in the first two two and a half years as a team.
Speaker 4: You know, it was excellent.
Speaker 3: They wanted to build on that and they want to grow and if anything, they've done the opposite. I'm paraphrasing him there, but I think that's a that's a direct quote. So they basically regress from probably over the last eighteen months. I think they've won five of their last seventeen tests abroad, I think there's ten defeats in their last eighteen test matches home and away. You imagine if Australia lost ten out of eating test matches full stop. You know, Andr mcdi Ronald is out.
Speaker 4: Of a job.
Speaker 2: There'd been ourgust review, wouldn't that.
Speaker 4: That would be? Yeah, honestly would be.
Speaker 3: And I reckon it's worth highlighting we have very high standards of our cricket team in this country and you know England for whatever reason, don't you know, and they've been allowed to know. I'm not saying that Ben Stokes is happy or Rob Key or anyone is happy without that gone, but the standard is a lot lower. And you know it's not for a want of trying with Ben Stokes like he's clearly I think everyone agrees he's the man to take him forward. You know, whether McCullum goes with him on that journey is an interesting one. You know, Stokes said that he has his full support if he gets asked by the ECV like he will one hundredercent back him and said he's a great coach, but ultimately the decision doesn't rest with him.
Speaker 4: So it's a been open that one.
Speaker 1: So England's next Test series is against New Zealand at home in June. Australia's next Test series is against Bangladesh, also at home.
Speaker 2: That's in August.
Speaker 1: And we had some great crowds here this week, didn't We Twenty five thousand here today which meant two hundred and eleven thousand for the match, which is an SCG record, and over eight hundred and fifty thousand spectators for the series.
Speaker 2: Great turnout from Yossie fans.
Speaker 1: The pink Test seats almost got to that mark of four hundred and eighty virtual sorry, four hundred and eighty thousand virtual pink seats sold. But there is still plenty of time to buy your pink seed if you haven't done that already, lou, pink test dot com is the place to go and buy that.
Speaker 3: My mum's already done it. She's got four for my little one, her, my partner and mum. So nice perhaps since you've got my sister as well if you haven't, mum get made as well.
Speaker 1: Please Yeah, so pink test dot com, dota you get your virtual pink seat and help out a really good cause.
Speaker 3: Lou.
Speaker 1: Let's look ahead now to Australia's next assignments. There's a Teachiny World Cup on the horizon. There's those tests in August, so a bit of a gap there, six or seven months until the next test assignment.
Speaker 2: And also they'll have the IPL. I guess they're playing as well, a few of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: I mean, while Ben Stokes is talking about having tough conversations with some of his under fault with some of his underperforming teammates as through, these conversations aren't so tough. I mean, the only tough element is, you know, probably McDonald and cummins saying Mitch Stark, hey, we're really like you to get to twenty twenty seven. Hey, Steve Smith, we'd really like you to get the twenty twenty seven. That'd help us a lot. It's basically how long can the careers of these veterans go on for because we're not seeing a whole lot of drop off, you know. I mean Quadra was probably the one over the last eighteen months that we saw some regression. There were probably those question marks over Nathan Lyne. Well, he bought beautifully in Adelaide. Yes he's done his hamstring and it's probably more of a for all of them. It's a physical concern. Can Hazelwood, can Stark? Can these guys keep backing up series after series into their late thirties. For Steve Smith, I guess it's a case of wanting to do it, like he basically said in his press conference just now, like if I'll wake up, I might wake up one day and just want to stop. You know, it's hard to see that for someone who is so invested in the game and who seems to have cricketers at the at the center of his life, how they manage him will be an interesting Like he lives in a different country now essentially, and you know, I think it's a good move to get the most out of a guy in the in the twilight of his career. So that's where things stand for Australia, I suppose. From you know, it's an interesting one. How they're bowling attack functions with you know, come and Stark, Caserwood, like if you can even if you can keep them going on, like you're going to need your nieces, your bowlins, your dogget's, rich Juie Richardson's, You're going to need them a lot more. And yeah, have have Nissa and Bowlin shown a new way forward for you know, your likes of Fergus O'Neil, your Xavier Bartlets, these kind of guys, because.
Speaker 4: You know, they those show.
Speaker 3: Those guys showed that if you can really accurate one twenty five one hundred and thirty, they're probably not as slow as one twenty five, but you know, around that one thirty mark accurate stuff and never missed, you can be a handful in Test cricket. And I'd expect some of those bowlers to maybe push for spots in the next few years. If we can't get guys like Bidmund Fidler, Joy Richardson, you know, if there's going to be a question mark over there, Duril durability, Yeah, we might start looking at some different type bowlers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's probably a good wrap for the domestic scene as well, because even though Boland was into his thirties when he debuted Niece as well into his thirties, and so they're not necessarily webs Webster as well, they're not necessarily looking to the next generation. They're looking for the best players to win the next Test match, which leads me to my next point about potentially when these greats of the game do you want to retire? Do they look to maybe make sure that it's staggered these retirements so that there's not a big gap like we saw at the end of the two thousand and six seven Extra Series, which left Australia, you know, reeling for a few years in the aftermath.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's entirely depend You can't keep, you can't carry these guys if they're not performing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at the moment they are, and they have been for the last four or five six years.
Speaker 3: I've kind of been thinking the last couple of years, it's like, and I'm one hundred percent sure you know, Andrew McDonald will be feeling the same. They'd be looking at these guys and going like, not many fast bowlers are any good basically past thirty four, thirty five, thirty six. Well they basically three in this Test match, Nissa, Bowl and Stark. I think they're all over thirty five. That's that's incredible really, So you know, long mate last for Australia and let's see, let's see what they can do in the next few years.
Speaker 1: A great series as well for Alex Carey twenty eight dismissals one short of the all time Test record in a series. That was Brad Hadden who took twenty nine in the twenty thirteen that's just series. But I don't think I hadn't had to stand up to the stumps as much so the fast ballers as carried in this series.
Speaker 2: It was just unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And Steve Smith called his performance this series incredibly and the best keeping display that he's seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent agree was Brad Hadden's in twenty thirteen or twenty thirteen forty Now it was the one England won in England.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so what that would have been?
Speaker 3: Johnson and your bollingers and probably the house might have made that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll have to double check that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. So incredible performance. Yeah, maybe the making of his career. And it's been a slow build for him. It looked a period there where Josh Ingviss was nipping at his heels, but his performances over the last twenty four months have been superb.
Speaker 1: All right, Lou, that's a wrap from the SCG Day five. Here Australia win by five wickets and they win the series four to one. Comprehensive victory across the board from Australia. It's been great fun bringing you the Unplayable podcast after every day of the Ashes series so far. Thank you to Quantas for sponsoring the podcast, and we'll catch up with you next time. We'll catch up with you. Not quite sure when it will be, but we'll have coverage of the T twenty World Cup of course, and whatever else next
Speaker 3: We'll st