Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: As he's in space. I hadn't realized it was only two years ago. Australia actually launched his own space agency.
Speaker 3: With very little fanfare. I don't remember that being a big thing in the country.
Speaker 2: One of the last countries in the world not to have a space agency. You've all seen everyone up there. He's thinking it were flying up there. You like public holiday today for certain states, but two years ago inside maybe there is something in the old space Oh, Nigeria got their space program ten years ago. Australia two years ago.
Speaker 1: Well, what's the British space program doing? I hadn't hear much about the British space program.
Speaker 2: Command to Tim, we've had actually had to go on the space station.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, I'll have to take your word for a Commander. Tim is not a famous name to me.
Speaker 2: Great British space name, though, isn't he? Yeah? He Tim? What is his surname? And the only reason I remember Tim is four years ago he went up to it, became the first British guy to go up to the International Space Station. And I remember he was doing a thing and one of my kids school was selected where they had like a four minute window where three kids could ask him a question.
Speaker 3: I've heard about this, so why they're orbiting over? Then it's like a Ham radio.
Speaker 2: So the whole school special assembly. They're going live to the International Space Incredible, right, So I asked the kids later on, you know, I was so excited. I was like, what was it? Like? What was it like? God? Then he was talking about what he's doing up there? Right, and then it was his speciality was apparently he was going up there to sort of do some scientific experiments up at the International Space Station. The kids said, right, Ruby went, it was so underwhelming. For four weeks they've been building up. We're going to chat to him. He's an astronois, the spaceman, he's British, he's tim science Okay, science fiction, they said. Basically he got he had some cress seeds that he'd grown up there out of a little cup. You know, little crest seeds. You water them and they grow, Yeah, little sprouts, that's all he was doing. Said do you do that in junior school when you're seven?
Speaker 1: Isn't that the first proto Russians?
Speaker 2: Right? Those Russians must have been working on all kinds of stuff up there. The British guy turns up for a were the toilets a block block? Mate? Can you have a look at that? And then have you got your crest seeds? Oh? Yeah? Whoa Tim? How are they getting on? If they watered them today? Tim old school and then he got this cris out of a looking like see through cup you get by the water fountain at work and went, look, I've been working on this. And when everyone was like can we go back to classroom?
Speaker 1: You only have a four minute window to him, Yeah, that's enough.
Speaker 2: Okay. So if the bridge space astronauts called Tim, what's your austraining guy called? Is it? Who have you got going on?
Speaker 4: We've got Andy Thomas as our Astronautusts South Australian gentlemen. Yeah, Andy Thomas.
Speaker 2: I think that he's been up there, Yes he has.
Speaker 4: He's been a couple of times. I can't think which missions they were, but it was quite a while ago, maybe eight or ten years ago. I'd have to google it.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, then he catch a lyft because you haven't got your own space program. So when you catch a lift or somebody, you know.
Speaker 1: Like swing by Australia.
Speaker 2: And then we're going to take so yeah, they're taking her. How they're talking about how on the next thirty to fifty years there could be an Australian in space and even on the Moon. My question this morning is, right when the Americans land on the Moon, they hit a golf club, they got six signs, Alan Shephard, it was like forty eight forty nine years ago used to six sign and hit the ball two hundred Technically, I was reading about this right, You could in theory hit a golf ball if you didn't have that big suit on, but due to the lack of graviton and it would go into orbit six case, it would go for six ks to be up in the air a minute and a half. Imagine that. But anyway, because he had the big, bulky space suit and he sounds like me, someone's learning not very good at golf. He only is shanked a bit. He had it. The first two goes, he missed it because you've got the big, big space suit and they got gold globe in all.
Speaker 3: This, and I don't need a spacesuit to miss the golf ball.
Speaker 2: And then he hit it. It went about two hundred yards. And then this is what guys do. Five years later, another American takes his golf club up. They're thinking I hit it further than that. He does six hundred yards. So the record at the moment is six hundred yards. But what would an Australian on the moon, what would you be taken up? You're taking up a footyball.
Speaker 1: Or how fa you can launch a or chuck the.
Speaker 2: Cricket ball or whatever. You're definitely taking that. What else would Australians take up to the moon.
Speaker 3: Frisbee would be another good one. See how long you could launch a frisbee in the air?
Speaker 2: Yep, definitely to me. You know you are a nation of dog lovers. You know you've got your dog parts of that. There's a dog coming up as well. There has to be a dog, a little dog helmet, yes, little space suit you know with the poor You know you see some dog owners where the Kavoodo and they've got the big old winter jacket and on stuff like that. What do you think Ozzie's in space? What would you be taking up for a space trip to the moon. Let me know this morning, Christian Iconnell, Christian O'Connell show, Fantasy Black Box on Gold Commander Tim Peat. That was the name of the British astrot or went up there for like, I've been really disrespectful to the guy.
Speaker 1: And how are those sprouts going? Did they grow into the full? Reckon?
Speaker 2: The Russians are still looking after is water crises, mung bean seeds. He's really contributed to where science understanding? Bossie's in space? Going to the article I read this morning, could be happening in the next fifty years? Or don't rush at Australia fifty years ago Americans went to the Moon. During the next fifty years, could we see in Australian on the moon? Where are we.
Speaker 1: Getting the money to pay for this space?
Speaker 2: Exactly? I mean America. That's why they're partner up with Elon Musk It's billions billians. Also, I was just looking at some of the names of the space shuttles that they've gone up over the years. Enterprise, Columbia of course, Challenger, Discovery at lant Endeavor, fast forward to Australia, the s S shit be right, all right? What what would you send up into space? What wouldn't Australian bring to the moon. Let's go to Anne, Good morning, Ann. What do you think I think there's nothing more ousy than a boomerang. Christian, You're quite right, that would look genuinely cool up there as well. What happened in gravity? Would it come back or just go?
Speaker 1: I think it probably might.
Speaker 2: It's hard to really know, obviously, but I just thought, well, there's nothing more ouzy than a boomerang, So I thought, were you going to go up there and give it a shot? I suppose, so you know what, I get a feeling. I know a scientific expert. Well, with the lack of gravity, I wonder if someone if through it and then there's another space mission five years later someone gets hit in the back of their space.
Speaker 1: Have you ever tried to throw a boomerang?
Speaker 3: We know, I remember taking one out and proper wooden one, and it's taking so long for it to actually swing back to me. But then the first time I properly got onto it and come cycling back at me, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not going to catch contigus for hunting, and that it's a probably sort of weapon as old as the spear. Yeah, but no, that would be amazing and that's a great idea. Thank you very much. You cool, have a good day, Okay, but is here just cut them off like that? Uh? Stephen, good morning. Obviously in the rush to Dale were to get tonight Stephen, good morning, Hey Christian stay step sorry mate, Sorry, sounds like you were breaking down the lines there. It's just so emotional getting to speak to.
Speaker 1: Us, Stephen.
Speaker 2: What do you think then? And as in space, what's he taking up there? Nothing more Australian than cracking a can and asked Bundy rum. Therefore you've got to have the eski as well, being wheeled down the steps of a lunar landing module, you know, and Escie being wheeled out there in a little kind of lawn chair to sit there and enjoy some Bundy rum.
Speaker 1: And then how do you get it under the helmet if you've.
Speaker 2: Got a beer helmet as well? Have you know, well those beer helmets with a straw. He can't forget to motorized this as well. Yes, yeah that's right, Steven, Thank you very much. You cool. Have a good day. Take that mate. Andrea, good morning, Good morning there you going, yeah, we're good. What do you think? Then he's on the moon. What are you taking up there?
Speaker 3: Sift forward?
Speaker 1: What are you going to surf on?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 1: Went fl Sorry, my dog's backing in the background. It's gravity.
Speaker 2: It was stage. I mean, this show isn't great with science that game, but I don't think that's how it works gravity.
Speaker 3: I guess like in this actual spaceship when it's like zero gravity in cyber spaceshime, you can float along on it. But when you're actually on the Moon, there's a little bit of gravity.
Speaker 1: Oh is there?
Speaker 3: Well, that's how they walk on the Moon and they they're bouncing. But I don't think they can just surf around.
Speaker 2: Because they've got heavily weighted boots. Otherwise they would just take off and go into orbits. So I guess if one of the Australian astaurant ever goes up there, if he starts surfing thing, is he not just going to go one giant for the rest of his life? The twenty years later, how is Dave? He's just about to hit.
Speaker 3: Something at the moment, you know, have that rope between yourself and the fin connected to the board.
Speaker 2: Let's get the particalities of this now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, then you'd have you'd have to have one that tighten in the spaceship so that you don't just you know, float off.
Speaker 2: Oh God, another the way we're all trying to work this through together so you can contact the space station SY in Australia.
Speaker 1: But meanwhile, the dog wants breakfast.
Speaker 2: What's somebody to turn about going? Is it feeding time?
Speaker 1: No, she's well, it's sexually getting to that point. No, she's looking at the bedroom window and deciding that there's something out there that she didn't like.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, all right, Andrew, thank you, thank you very much. Give us a call. I have a good day.
Speaker 1: Thanks you to
Speaker 2: Christian All Show podcast