Speaker 1: I Heeart podcasts. You can hear more Gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app.
Speaker 2: Got anything good? Hey? This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Now. Over the last four days there's been a ongoing mess legal bs involving Adelaide and the AFL and the player as it ranking, And yesterday on the show, we were talking about this when it looked like it was going to be a five game ban, and then the club worked starting to prepare statements and they were talking about Snoop Dogg and all kinds of other things, giving mitigating circumstances why that word was used. And I actually feel like we owe you are an apology rear because when I went home, I felt really bad because there are too many voices like mine, all the media commentators weighing in on this, and I can't speak for the a community. It's actually I want to hear your voices because you know four well the power of that word and those slurs and why there are bands in place for behavior like that. I actually felt like on the show yesterday we let you down. I want to know what you're taking is. It's not like, whenever there's going to be a gay story, we need to go to our chief gay correspondent, chief of Gay's Rio. But I actually think it's really important. Actually the most important voices in order of this are those in the gay community to tell us really how they feel, not how Eddie McGuire feels, or even me for that matter. So Rio, if you're happy to, i'd really know what do you think about this? But now the band is down to four games?
Speaker 2: Yeah, mate, thank you. It's been a I would say it's been an upsetting week. Like it's just on a just personal level. I've loved footy my whole life. I've followed the Swan's my whole life. I've played footy my whole life. It's just upsetting for a whole week to be reminded that there are elements of the game that maybe don't accept you or that don't make you feel welcome. And for I still have a very you know, that wide eyed view of footy like I did when I was a kid, Like I just love it on such a really deep, you know, almost childlike level. And to be sort of dragged back to reality for a whole week with this kind of stuff has been pretty upsetting, to be honest. But the most frustrating thing about it isn't the four weeks or the five weeks or the you know, getting hung up on you know, should we wait finals games differently to a regular game for this kind of stuff, because I think the whole conversation has missed a very important element of it. And it's not the football impact, the impact on Grand Final Day or the Adelaide Crows or rankin that's all anyone's spoken about for the whole week. I think there's a human impact that people just hasn't been talked about for seven days. And the reality is there are gay players in the AFL. Clubs are on record about that. There's a four Call, four corners sort of documentary on it that came out last year, The Gay Yeah, it was brilliant. There are gay players in the AFL that do not feel comfortable to come out and to be their true selves in the place that they work, playing the game that they love. And it's because of things like this. This has happened five times this year where these slurs have happened, and people wonder why don't people feel comfortable coming out? It's because of things like this. If there were you know, if you told me five people in our workplace had used that word at work, I would not feel comfortable being in a meeting room with them. I wouldn't feel comfortable, you know.
Speaker 1: Having they wouldn't employed, they fired, should.
Speaker 2: Be exactly, and my heart made That was just where my heart went to this whole week. Those players there that have to be sort of living a lie essentially and every day putting on a mask, trying to hide who they are, living in fear, probably because it's just such a hostile environment for them to step into, and for me personally, especially as someone who is really lucky. I mean, it shouldn't be lucky, but it is that I come to work every day and I can be my full self and I don't have to hide any part of it. And actually, the the monday after my first ever date with a guy, I told you guys about you were the first people I told It was the in between time waster, in between the long ad break.
Speaker 1: Aria just came out in the studio off air, and I was like, Wow, this is amazing. I wish i'd known advance. I would have dressed up. I don't know you it's just an invite. So I've never been to a coming out party and it just happening in the middle of a radio show. But I felt very honored. I was like, but this is how it should be, you know. I felt proud and actually of the work environment that we are all parts of, where everybody's welcome and all voices are welcome. You should be hiding away any part of who you are. It's not like it's a choice or it's anything like that. It's like, this is who you are. Yeah, there was an amazing moment for you to come out like that, really in the mid of the middle of a show. But yeah, I just felt yes, and I do an apology rio is because I just thought, you know, we could talk about it from our point of view, but our point of view is irrelevant. You know, I don't speak for the gay community. You know what that's like. And I can imagine how this is incredibly hurtful. You're right, not that maybe the reduction from five to four just embarrassment of the AFL saying it's five games. There's precedent here, then a club going can we have three? And then what negotiating over this? And then I know, there's these medical statements that we're not going to see because obviously they're confidential. But surely there can't be any mitigating circumstances for using a word like that. What do you think about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I don't know enough probably about Isaac's personal situation to comment, but I find it, you know, very difficult to certainly think of a situation where we would make it acceptable. To be honest, I'm not particularly hung up on the going down from five to four. I know the precedents there and all that kind of thing. It's the impact, Yeah, it's the impact. I think, Oh, just prefer people to you know, this has happened. Can we have a conversation about the actual culture of the AFL and what are we going to do to actually improve it beyond worrying about weeks and punishments and stuff like that. I would love I would much rather Isaac have two weeks and go out to a gay outreach program and you know, talk to the homeless gay kids that have been kicked out by their families and he wouldn't use that word again or go talk you know, every single club has a gay element of their like a gay cheer squad. Go and hang out with the you know, the guys and girls who you know bleed for your club and who live for you and your club. Go have a chat with them for a week. Go hang out with them, and I promise you they won't use that word again. And I'd just love to see action and actually going out of your way to you know, involve yourself in these communities that really look up to you and and that are a big part of the football world get chunned a lot. I would love to see that sort of action and that sort of conversation happen so that you know, the sixteen year old kid running around, you know that might think they're gay or is gay and is watching this and isn't thinking, Okay, do I have to choose between chasing my dream and living a lion and hiding my true self? Like to me, that's that's much more important to me than the weeks or the Grand Final or the waiting or any of that. Yeah, that's what I'd really love to see come from this. And to be honest, unfortunately I haven't really seen much of that.
Speaker 1: Beautifully said rio you you're talking about that it's just not a safe space for people, is it, you know, and you look at like the AFLW that does appear to be the opposite, a very very safe space where I can't speak for it, but I'm sure you wouldn't hear words like that, you know, And then they wonder and scratch the hands away. Right while there are no openly gay payers. You see this week, an entire week, an entire week, this has been in the headlines. It's a terrible decision by a terribly run organization. At times it is rio. Thank you so much for giving us the real perspective what we need to hear this week. And you're right, there's a lot of mums and dads and kids listening to the show this week. You know, what would you be saying to them, because you know, right now you've got this opportunity. There are going to be people listening right now who are struggling with their identity and how they feel about and they would have seen this week and this huge kind of everyone on TV going, oh, it should just be one round or two rounds as Wokenes's gone mad. What do you say to that? If someone's listening, maybe like when you were like fourteen or fifteen, and you've got these really big, what feel like big secrets. What would you say to someone.
Speaker 2: I think this is exactly the reason why we need to have Pride rounds, Why we need to you know, have people I see people in comments getting pissed off because there are rainbow flags in the Swan's cheer section. They keep politics out of sport, blah blah blah. Well people are still saying these horrible words professional players five times this year. The fact that we're having this conversation, the fact that we're even talking about Isaac Rankin, is the reason we need to be having these rounds and be talking about these things. And I would have, you know, to any you know, gay players or kids out there, as much as probably a harrowing week this has been, I have you know, I've found a huge sense of community and identity and belonging within football and within my football club and within the Swans and all that kind of thing. So I would I still think it's the greatest game in the world and I love it so so much, So I would say, you know, it will get better, and you know, the more of us that are able to feel confident enough to sort of step out into ourselves. The you know, the easier it's going to be for everyone. So yeah, don't don't give up on the AFL as well.
Speaker 1: Thanks Reren beautifully said okay, we'll take a break back in a moment. Thanks mate. Christian O'Connell show go On podcast