Speaker 1: Tions to land see and community. We pay our respect to their elders past and present, and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and terrest Raid Islander peoples today. Hello and welcome back to the Rise and Conquer Podcast. This is the podcast for ordinary people who want to do extraordinary things. Hello and welcome back to the Rising Conker Podcast. It is your host, Georgie Stevenson, lawyer turned to entrepreneur, business owner, new mum wife, all the things. Honestly forget my intro every time. Guys, welcome back to the show. I have a very exciting episode for you. We are chatting one of the things that it gets me every time, guys, and I feel like you're going to resonate with this topic. But before we get into it, a little recap. I had a lovely relaxing weekend. I actually had such a stressful week last week. Last week was huge, guys. Poor Atia was staying back late every afternoon, slave drive and away.
Speaker 2: I've had my whip out.
Speaker 1: No, we just have had a lot on so I feel like my weekly updates are always about work. But I oh, I had I told you guys about my pedal and pop collection. That is actually launching if you're listening to this in real time tomorrow the fifteenth of June is my Postcards by Georgie winter collection with pedal and pup. Very cute. You know my style. She's comfy, she's versatile, and you'll wear these pieces for seasons to come. So if you do need a bit of a winter wardrobe, a refresh makes you go check that out.
Speaker 2: And then also.
Speaker 1: Last week we announced that we have a brand new dessert range happening at Naked Harvest. So this is something we've been working on for yolks, honestly so long to perfect a like healthy dessert, especially because in n hah, we're really really strict on gluten free, dairy free, vegan, refined, sugar free, all those things, while still having added benefits that you know with stress and helping you sleep. And then it's got to taste good. We go through lots of samples and it's it's a big process, but we have got here. We're so proud. We are releasing a mug cake and moose. I think that goes live on Thursday. Oh my god, my brain, guys, my brain, So yeah, like all that was happening and so I really really deserved a little relaxing we can and honestly didn't do too much, just spend time with little Slivy and Tim. I mean Ivy. Oh my god, I call her Slivey. That's like an at home nickname. You guys probably think, what did she just say? But it was good, it was well needed. But I'm so excited about this episode. Let's get straight into it all right, guys, today we are chatting imposter syndrome.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: What does it mean about you? What does it mean in that situation? And how we can not get rid of it? Because I think imposter syndrome is healthy. An give me a little snoppet there, but how we can process it? That's so interesting. He's like, what are we talking about? I'm like healthy, No, I think it's really healthy. But first, what is imposter syndrome? So, guys, Imposter syndrome is basically when you feel like a fraud or a you know, imposta, or you feel not good enough or very out of your comfort zone when you were doing something new. And I feel like I have felt this basically every time that I have done something new, and I feel like it's like this feeling of who am I to do this? Almost like I'm not qualified to do this?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Is that how you would explain a post syndrome a dog? Before we started tear out tooth so smooth, guys, before we started recording, I said, to a tear, let's give you a nickname. I want to call you like a tear. You can call me g okay or georsh. What if you prefer what should we call a tear? Guys? Come, Actually, let's put something on our stories.
Speaker 2: I always go and they called me tee tow.
Speaker 1: No, that's a rudfic. We're not going t toowl like they just couldn't say your name properly. I don't know if we just landed up on te tail. A tear is a beautiful name, though, so maybe we just keep it. But if you guys have a great nickname for a tear, come to the story. Not a dog. I love a dog. It makes you sound like you do rap or something.
Speaker 2: Do rap?
Speaker 1: You know what? I often do? Though, I call people by their first name, like, for example, my partnership's manager, Jacinta, I call her j And it's still to this day. Every time I go, oh, Jay said this Cooper goes, who's J And I'm like jcinta. I've called her Jay the whole time. I love that, So we could call you A that's like pretty little liar vibes.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you know A Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right, I kind of like a butt. Come to our stories. We're going to put a little questions thingy. Let's give it to your nickname and be a nickname, all right.
Speaker 2: A dog?
Speaker 1: Until then, what would you say? Imposter syndrome is or feels like.
Speaker 2: Almost uncomfort but worse because I feel like you can get it confused with just being uncomfortable because it does happen out of your comfort zone. But I think it's a lot worse than just being a little bit uncomfortable, and it really comes down to you questioning who you are and almost like how do I even have the right to be doing this?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Why why are people listening to me? Kind of thing?
Speaker 1: I think I agreed, because I think it's more than just being uncomfortable and being out of your comfort zone. It's also the like you said, like I don't have the qualifications to be here, or I don't deserve a seat at this.
Speaker 2: Table, exactly like you feel a bit like a fraud, Like you're like, I'm cheating everyone.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is sitting around me by being here one hundred percent. And this has actually come up recently for me and I wanted to do an episode on it, and it's come up for me because as you guys probably have seen on my socials if you don't know, I'm doing another collab with Pedal and Pup.
Speaker 2: Wow, I love it. The clothes are so cute. What is that was like a sound effect that it was you? I feel like like.
Speaker 1: The applaud hand ready, guys, I hope I got the right button. Great, thanks a dog. So my Pedal and Pup collection is going live tomorrow if you're listening to this when this potty goes live. And I filmed, not filmed. I did the photo shoot for this a couple of weeks ago, and yes, just quickly. The color is so beautiful, guys. And it's a winter collection that's very much inspired by the winter locations that I dream about visiting. So you guys know, well maybe you don't, but me and Tim had this really amazing Europe trip booked right literally by you Si. Yeah, and then we didn't get to go because of COVID and then.
Speaker 2: We have a child now, so there goes that.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it's probably not going to be on the cards for years until Ivy Girl is a bit older. But like I just I love overseas winter locations, like so in the collection there's names like Aspen and like Colorado and yeah, so just beautiful winter locations and it's called Postcards by Georgie and basically just all the locations I want to go winter. But it's a winter collection, and it is a mini collection, so there's only about way say mini, but there's like fucking fourteen pieces. Anyway, if you don't know what I am talking about, go to my socials. I have so many social posts on that and I'm so bloody excited. But anyway, it goes live tomorrow. And we did the photo shoot three weeks ago, and as we were driving up the driveway to this beautiful house we were shooting at, I had my EA Ellie in the car because she was doing content for me that day, and she's like, how do you feel. Actually we were like driving this so we weren't even driving up the driveway yet, and she's like, how do you feel? And I was like I feel so nervous, Like I felt so nervous, I felt sick, and I just said to her, I don't know, like like who am I just feel like who am I to be doing a fashion collection? Like I just felt so out of my bounds? And I said to her, So I have done a collection with Pedal and Pup, But for some reason in my head, I made up this story that Pedal and Pup wanted to do it with me because I was pregnant, so it was like a bump friendly colle and I really made the story up in my head that it's like, well, they chose me because there was very limited people pregnant. There were my dog, g dog. There wasn't many people to pick from, so of course, you know, picked me, and so I don't know, I kind of put that collection as like, oh yeah, like I was one of the very limited people pregnant at that time, and I'd worked in part for a very long time and we had a great relationship, so it made sense. But that was the only reason why they picked me. So when they wanted to do a second collection with me, not pregnant, just you just for me, I just felt so like undeserving.
Speaker 2: So I note, I do love your style though, thank you are Tea.
Speaker 1: And well that's another big thing too, is like I wouldn't say I'm a fashion influencer, Like people would not come to my page for my style. Like I think I inject a lot of fashion in my socials because I love fashion. Yeah, and I wouldn't even say I have like the most standout style, Like I love basic things. I love things that you can wear over seasons, that are sustainable. Yeah, you know, my vibe has very much changed as I've become a mum. And yeah, so like there was this huge part of me. I was driving there and because I've been on a photo shoot with them before and there's like fifteen people. It's hair and maker, there's models, like you know the location when we shot, I just know it's like next level, and I just I felt like, oh my god, everyone's here for me. They want to do a collection for me, and I just felt so unworthy. So like I literally thought, oh my god, we're going to do the shoot and they're gonna be disappointed with me. I know, its a syndrome, sucks, I know, but it was so ridiculous. And then Ellie kind of said the same thing, and she was like, what are you talking And she said, She's like, I actually love that you said this because I think as an outsider looking in, I would have never thought you felt like this.
Speaker 2: No, never would have guessed no.
Speaker 1: And I and I think that's why I wanted to speak about it, because it is so normal and even someone like me who has literally done a collection, who has done this thing before, like I, all.
Speaker 2: Of a sudden, it just hit you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it can hit you at really random times. And so I literally had to like put some hype music on and like pep talk myself and be like, yeah, like how fucking dare you say those things when you've worked so hard? And yeah, maybe you're not like a fashion icon, but you have a style and you know, people obviously enjoy that style. Otherwise your first collection wouldn't have sold out. And you know, I had to, you know, pet myself up. And the hard thing is imposter syndrome, like it always it always comes back. And you would think, by the time you have accomplished so many things, or you know, got to a certain level in your career, in your family life and anything, you would think, oh, but by the time I get there, I'm not going to feel these feelings.
Speaker 2: Because I'll know I'm worth it because I'll Yeah.
Speaker 1: But the hard truth is it always comes up, and for me, it's always when I'm about to go to the next level or achieve something pretty great that imposter syndrome seeps in and confronts me. So that's why I said at the start a tea that's like, it's actually a little bit healthy, because I think it's like I now can understand it and kind of get it before it cripples me and go, fuck, I must be going to the next level. Fuck, this must be really great. Otherwise I wouldn't feel like this. Yes, I've definitely felt like this numerous times in my life. So I really felt like this when we were starting Naked Harvest because again I was like, who am I to start a business? You know, I'm an influencer. I don't start businesses. I work with businesses. Who am I to start a business? And I think it's when you put yourself in a certain box and you give yourself like a label, a label, and you give yourself like I'm an influencer, I'm this. I'm like I just said, I'm not a fashion icon. I'm not a fashion influencer, Like why am I doing this? And I think when we can stop labeling ourselves and kind of strip it back, and I think, like lean into this idea that we are always evolving. This is I'm about to go off on a ramp. But do you guys remember back in the day, and like, do you remember back in the day where influencers would like jump on their stories and say they wanted to pivot and do something different and almost have to apologize for it. And the only reason why I bring it up is because I did this, did you?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: When I was so a lot of people, I really leaned into the like I'm, you know, a law student, I'm going to be a lawyer. So a lot of my youtubes it was like day in the life of a law grad and everyone kind of knew me as this like fitness and health girl, who was you know, going to be a lawyer.
Speaker 2: And very career, very balance it with your health kind of yes.
Speaker 1: And so I also had a lot of people give me feedback of oh, I love following you because you actually have a career and you actually have a job. You're not just an influencer. Doing fitness health, who's got all the time in the world, and like, yeah, all these certain things that I then took their you know, comments and feedback and then put myself in the box of I am this certain person. So when I actually wanted to quit my job as a you know, family lawyer, and I wanted to go off and do something else, I literally put a YouTube I think on IGTV, like I could go back and find it, basically being like, hey, guys, I know I just finished my law degree. I know, blah blah blah, I actually don't want to do law. I want to do this. And it's like this weird apology video that I did because I felt so accountable to them. Yeah, and I felt so bad for evolving, and like how weird is that?
Speaker 2: It is so weird? And I feel like people do that to others around them too. Yes, Like obviously yours was on a way bigger scale because you had a following that you needed to in quotation marks apologize to for changing. But people who do that anyway, like if you're quitting a job and you're telling your friends like I'm changing industries or like it's this whole thing where where it's a bigger deal than it should be. Almost. It's not just like like, oh, I've got this new job, I'm super excited.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I think it really is that old mentality where straight out of school you pick what you're going to do.
Speaker 2: For the rest of your life.
Speaker 1: I know, do you remember feeling that pressure in grade eleven or twelve?
Speaker 2: But you know it was weird. I just got told in like grade eight, oh, you should be an engineer.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, is that white?
Speaker 2: Why did you? I was thirteen and they were like, you're you're really good at science and maths, and you seem to enjoy it. I would recommend this and that I carried that.
Speaker 1: I'm just laughing because I got told I should be an actor, like she's dumb as dog shit, but she's so dramatic. Look at me now, bitches. I'm sorry. I totally in troubled.
Speaker 2: You good and yeah, so you I carried that from thirteen to now.
Speaker 1: I still want to be an engineer. I was trying to say, I didn't think you were.
Speaker 2: No, I I've converted it to a minor guy.
Speaker 1: Good to know, thanks idea, yeah, thanks, I dog yeah, but one hundred percent, like we are told you're good at this, You're good at that. You should be this.
Speaker 2: This is what you're going to do.
Speaker 1: This is your one path, and this is what you're going to do for the rest of your life. And you better love it or like, I don't care if you don't love it, You're going to do it.
Speaker 2: You're not making money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was very much like my dad's approach too, And I think you you really, you get swayed. You get swayed by this, and I think that's why there's this weird thing that if you are doing something that's not only out of your comfort zone, but maybe in a different industry or maybe if you're pivoting or you're doing something new, we get this weird feeling of like who am I to.
Speaker 2: Do this exactly? And especially when things aren't a job your parents would unders stand.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's like me and Mel were saying the other day. She's like, I don't think my parents even still now understand what I do. And oh my god. It was so sweet. So her dad came to the warehouse and he was like, oh my like he was first of all quite shocked with like how big it was, and that like, you know, Mel had this whole team under her, and he was like, oh, Mel, this is so this is so good like I did, and like Mel's like, yeah, this is my job, like I'm a boss ass bitch and you could tell like he just didn't understand. He didn't understand. And then I think it was really great for him because he saw it was like actually a physical company, you know, like yeah, it's a warehouse and there's products and and didn't touch it and see it. You can touch and see it. But I think often, like you know, a job as an influencer or social social media, like people just don't understand and they don't think it's even anything.
Speaker 2: Even when I told people I was coming to work at a pot They're like full time, what do you mean?
Speaker 1: And I was like, yeah, that's like three of us I know. And yes, and the podcast makes money. Yeah, oh my god. This is such like a random side note, guys, but can I just say, if you're someone who listens to this potty and you don't skip the ads, thank you, because that's how a tea gets paid. Like, if you think about it, you guys get hours of free content and it's you've just got to listen to a little ad, so please don't skip me ideas like please, And so I think this whole episode like, let's normalize this imposter syndrome because I think we're all going to feel like it and it doesn't actually matter how qualified you are, you're going to feel it like regardless, and I think that's even it. Like I did a whole law degree and then you know, when I got my law grind position, I was like, oh my god, who am I to do this like this? And like it's it's ridiculous and honestly logically doesn't make a lot of sense, but when it does it ever, Yeah, exactly. Do you have any examples of when you felt on poster syndrometeria.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been thinking about it a lot, and I think it happened. And it's such a weird thing because you forget when you felt that way after you've moved past it. Yeah, but I think when I applied for this job, I felt it quite a bit because I obviously.
Speaker 1: You I have no idea about podcast you're like for the tech person at R and C. Now, literally like I listened to podcasts and I loved them, but back end didn't have much knowledge just to can't do attitude and even just like being in a completely different industry to what I was in, because I obviously had transferable skills and that is what I just had to keep reiterating to myself when actually making this application. But obviously a lot of those thoughts came in where it was like who am I to turn around and be like I'm the right person for your podcast? And even like sometimes helping on episodes, I feel it a little bit because I'm like, why would people want to listen to what I have to say?
Speaker 2: Kind of thing?
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my god, that's so interesting. Yeah, and that makes sense. But to me, like when I think of your interview, you literally walked in the room and I knew straightaway that you were right for the position. You didn't even have to say too much. And I just was like, yes, this girl her vibe and isn't that funny?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so weird.
Speaker 3: And I was there like I don't know what to say, Like I could definitely tell you were nervous, right, I think it's normal in an interview, absolutely, but yeah it's like when I, you know, read your resume and then just how you showed up and then also your.
Speaker 1: Bloody vision board, like you just see we're doing vision boards. If you guys didn't know, a Tia did a vision board for me as like where she sees the podcast in five years or something, and that honestly got her the job, like a physical vision board.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so much fun to make as well.
Speaker 1: I could imagine do you have any other times anyway? So go back and then how did you kind of combat We'll get into my tips of combating imposter syndrome? How did you do that? In that moment?
Speaker 2: I think for like applying for the job, it was very much just like recognizing my achievements through my work experience as well as the fact that I'm doing a degree in marketing that I just had to sort of lean on the very logical things rather than actually worry about getting rid of the feeling because I don't think you can very easy or I haven't found a technique that works for me to be able to just get rid of that feeling straight away. But I, because I'm quite logical, will just lean on I have these transferable skills, I have this experience, I've done these things in the past that are slightly different, And yes, it's a different industry, but I can pivot and also just always having I guess that attitude in a work sense when it comes to imposter syndrome of I can do anything that I put my mind to, so it doesn't matter because I will work harder than maybe someone who I think is more qualified than me.
Speaker 1: I love that kind of thing, and that's honestly how I think about things too. Like I honestly felt like an imposter my whole law degree, because even though I got an op to get into law straight away, I just felt not smart enough because I wasn't your typical UNI student.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so what I used to do is.
Speaker 1: As soon as we got an assignment, I would go to the library and get all the books on that topic.
Speaker 2: I was like, you've worried all the books, get them.
Speaker 4: The whole ofa No, I would return them, but I would start the assignment like as soon as we got it, so like it could be four weeks before it was due, which I like.
Speaker 1: And so like you're saying, I would just go, well, I'm gonna put in the work, yeah, and I'm gonna make sure I deserve my spot here. Even though I didn't feel like that because I didn't feel like, you know, naturally smart or whatnot. So I'm like, it actually doesn't matter that I feel this way because I know I can put in the work and get to you know, where I want to be. Yeah, I think like something also I've realized, and I think it's it's honestly just about practice. And I think once you go through one impostera syndrome and then you get over it, and like you said, it's here, you often get to the point where you forget about it. What I really do is like think back to that time and go, well, if I did it, then I can do it now. Yeah, And honestly, like so it was some tips to get over imposta syndrome. Obviously, if you you know, wanted to do if you wanted to start a business, how you can kind of get there is maybe you do a small business course that just gives you some foundations, some you know, some some kind of I guess quote unquote qualification to then do that thing that just kind of makes you feel more stability. I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's just like a bit more of a physical thing to prove your.
Speaker 1: Yes, to prove yes. And like, for instance, I think back when I had this really weird thing when I pivoted didn't do law. I actually did when I brought out my ebook. So I brought out this ebook and like, now looking back, that was such a small project to them, what I've now done with things. But to me, it was like, oh my god, this is this huge thing and who am I to do this? And I was so in my head about it. And I actually hired a business coach and I, you know, I talk about this a lot in my manifesting course, where I hired a business coach and I was literally earning sixty thousand dollars a year and my business coach was like forty thousand.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: For six months, I would vomit. Yeah I did, like I felt. I felt six but sick. But yeah, it was like betting on myself and so that yeah, I remember, like I spent forty thousand dollars on a coach, but I think it was something ridiculous, like I tenxt what I then spent on a business coach, because it's almost like I was betting on myself and I was showing myself, well, if I do that, of course I can accomplish and it'll come back. Yes, it's going to come back tenfold. And that's like you know, money mindset. That's a whole other episode. But basically I kind of joke to people all the time that I honestly paid that coach forty thousand dollars for her to tell me I was good enough. Oh no, like I'm not joking, Like she was definitely helpful. Yeah, but like now look back, it's not like she taught me anything.
Speaker 2: Profound about Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was honestly more her instilling and each week me showing up to a call and her going of course you deserve a seat at the table.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: She was helping me be an authority within the space. And I think sometimes it honestly takes paying someone money and them, you know, telling you or coaching you, or investing in a course. And like I also joke about this with my manifesting course of in my course, you know, even though with the marketing, I'm like, you know, achieve your dream life, which is your dream car, or buying a property like all these like lavish you know, physical luxury items. But honestly, the gist of the course is I make you feel worthy, which you then attract those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And that's that's something that my mum's always said, is that sometimes there will be a certain person that you need to learn a certain thing from and that might cost a bit of money, but no matter, Like you could have someone in your life telling you the exact same thing. Yes, but you're just not gonna hear it. It's not gonna register because that is not who you're supposed to learn that from.
Speaker 1: Yes, one hundred percent. And that's why if you would have asked me, oh my god, so you wasted your money with this business coach, and I'm like, fuck no, look what I've now achieved. And it took you know, paying this person huge sum of money, but also her just telling me I was worthy enough, and I had to do that to get to this point. But the whole thing is, yeah, hearing the right things at the right time, and also I guess, feeling like worthy enough. So if you can do little things or maybe big things to help with the imposter syndrome and feel like you were worthy enough. So for example, you know, once I got my hair and makeup done for that photo shoot, the Pedal and Pop photo shoot, I was like, fuck course, I'm supposed to be. I'm not joking.
Speaker 2: Hair and makeup and like I ten just like fix his life.
Speaker 1: I was like, looked at me. I was like, fuck, I look good today. But do you know what I mean? Like, it can be something small, it can be something big, but find what it is that just makes you. So maybe you're going to an interview and like maybe you dress like, you know a bit like boss lady or you just you show up. This is it. So show up as the person that you want to be in the future, but show up as her now, Like that's the energy you want to be into. Combat imposter syndrome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretend you're already there.
Speaker 1: Almost like fake it until you make it. Yeah, but we're not actually faking it because you deserve to be there. Yes, And honestly, we could even go like if you guys listen to the Expandeds episode a couple episodes back, like you know, maybe you need to listen to us stories or immerse yourself and content where someone has achieved something being from where you are and it's like we all start somewhere. I guarantee you that person that you look up to has felt these feelings and been in a situation where they are the exact.
Speaker 2: Same as you exactly, and like when you hear those stories, it sounds like massive quantum leaps. And even though sometimes it is a massive quantum leap, sometimes it's a lot of hard work. Sometimes it's a mix of both. There isn't necessarily anything that qualifies you to do something in your life.
Speaker 1: Guys, we are so sorry. There's literally a plumber in the next room, and so we're just going to keep recording because I feel like we've got momentum here. Yeah, so I apologize for the little tap to the.
Speaker 2: Other thing that really helps me with imposter syndrome. And I have a bit of a name for it. I like coined, coined. I actually don't know if I've coined it, but it's mine. I'm taking it. Is like recognizing your mountain of value is what I'd like to call it, And it's your life experiences and the people around you and the things you learn and the thoughts you have create your own mountain and value, and everyone's is different. So you might want to, for example, release an ebook on manifesting, and Georgie, you've released an ebook on manifesting, But because both of you have different mountains of value. There's nothing to stop you from releasing an ebook on manifesting just because your mountain and value is different. It actually might make it make more sense.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my god, I love to say here and one hundred percent you've coined this term and we're going to use it. I love it. Mountain of value. Well, that's even something. So before I release the Rise and Conker project, I you know, like there is there's a thousand manifesting courses, there's a thousand self development courses. But I was like, no one has because the way again that I like, you know, Mark and tell you about the project is every time I want something in my life, I apply this exact same formula that is like nothing I've seen in anything else. It's nothing that I've seen in anyone's other teachings because it's very not so much personal to me. But I just have been through so many you know, achievements and doing things that I've like kind of perfected this formula, and that's what I teach on the project and in the project, I very much say, you know, like this is how I do it. Here's some other ways how I do it, but always make it personal to you and what feels good to you, and I give you those sorts of tools. But that's so right, Like there's going to be like you can never reinvent the wheel exactly, all the wheels are taking, all the wheels are done, there's only four, so like you can never reinvent the wheel. But no one has your experiences, your life experiences, your qualifications, your personality, the way that you do things, So it doesn't matter if someone's already done it, or it doesn't matter if if someone has done something a specific way, if you were feeling called or if you're feeling really led to do something and you feel imposter syndrome, it's like you're meant to do this.
Speaker 2: You're literally meant to do it, and because you're going to do it differently, that's why it'll work for you.
Speaker 1: And because you're going to do it differently, that's why it's going to work for you. Love Mic drop Yeah, end of the episode.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: I think also, you know, like a big part of imposter syndrome is this worthiness component components huge. So I think if you constantly are in imposta syndrome and you're constantly in this state of who am I to do this? You know, I'm in a posta and a fraud star. I think you need to work on your worthiness component.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, I don't need to.
Speaker 1: Wasn't meaning you.
Speaker 2: And I think I think it's super common.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think, you know, we could go into worthiness in a whole episode. But like Ata says, like no one has your experiences, your life lessons, and so if you're constantly not feeling worthy, it's maybe you need to see a therapist. Maybe you need to unpack the trauma, the you know, the whys of why you feel like this, because it's just going to keep coming up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, and especially if it's a very common thing or you find it seeping into a lot of different aspects of your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But I think also if you can feel imposter syndrome, if you can feel that feeling and then change it and rewrite the story. Yeah, like I said, when I felt it the other day at the photo shoot with Pedal and Pup, I you know, put music on. I literally pep talk to myself, like I said, affirmations, I had to rewrite the story. So another big thing is instead of feeling imposter syndrome and being like, fuck, this is not good and seeing it as a negative. Can you swap that and go, I must be onto something good. I must be ready for my upgrade. I must be ready to go to the next level and choose to feel those feelings instead of being anxious excitement, Like, can you swap those feelings around and really lean into that? Because I think any sort of growth or evolution, you're just going to feel like that. Like that is so natural, because anytime you haven't done something, you feel like a fraud, you feel like you're not good enough, and then you do it and you're like, h wasn't too bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And sometimes even when you've done it before and you're just doing it slightly differently black with your pedal and pop collection, you'll still get the feeling. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I had to work through my limiting beliefs and you know, go through rewriting the story all over again, like it's never ending. But also how great.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The other thing that I thought would be interesting to touch on is how do we know the difference between imposter syndrome and when our intuition is telling us that you're actually not in the right place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, great question. I think for me. Do you mean in regards to you feeling so anxious and nervous that this isn't the right choice?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like almost with my engineering degree, I had to work through like, am I feeling out of place because I'm different because i Am not the typical person to do this and I'm not that smart guy who did suicide seek subject at school? Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, every engineer looks the same once, be honest, and they're.
Speaker 2: All named Dan.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's so correct. I actually had a girlfriend in high school, Marianna who shout out to Marianna she won't listen to the podcast, who was an engineer, and she was just like sweet, really short, little Oh my gosh, and she was such a badass. And are seeing her at UNI with all like these nerdy guys who were just frothing her because she was so fucking hot, and I was like, oh my god, so sidetracked though, Sorry, all.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah sir, go back to just like this feeling of am I feeling out of place because it's imposter syndrome? Or am I feeling out of place because this is not my place?
Speaker 1: Yes? Okay, so the difference here is you would have felt out of place, but I'm guessing not have been excited about engineering. Yeah, you answered your own question. So free instance, with a pedal put photo shoot, I felt out of place. I felt undeserving, but I was so excited about my collection. I had poured so much love and energy, and either way, I knew I was going to do it. It's just if I in that moment felt like confident or not. So it's like, you still need to be excited and nervous, but for the thing, it's not just a total negative feeling, if that makes sense. Yes, So, for instance, I would in that scenario go, Okay, if I had all the qualifications in the world, would I still go and do this thing and love it?
Speaker 2: I love that. The best question to ask if you.
Speaker 1: Were the smartest person in the world are tire, would you still go and be an engineer? Does that excite you?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you do not care about the water pressure in parts? Guys?
Speaker 1: Is that an engineer?
Speaker 2: That was the moment I knew it wasn't right for me. I was doing a prack and the guys got excited about the water pressure changing in pipes, and I was like, Wow.
Speaker 1: This isn't what have I done?
Speaker 2: That was literally the moment.
Speaker 1: And that was the moment love. Yeah, so I would say you still need to be ask yourself, if I had all the qualifications in the world, would I be excited to do this thing? I love that. All right, guys, I'm going to wrap it up here. In conclusion, we all feel impostera syndrome. It is so normal, especially because I feel like, if you listen to this podcast, you're a go getter. You're out there living your best life, and this is going to come up a lot. But if you want to continue to push boundaries, if you want to continue to grow and evolve and be your bad self, you've got to get comfortable with imposter syndrome because it's going to keep coming up. And it is totally normal. And it's up to you whether you, you know, swap the narrative and actually make this really exciting thing love And just know all the people you look up to, I guarantee you they feel the exact same feelings. It's exciting. If you feel on poster syndrome, it's fucking exciting.
Speaker 2: It's a good thing.
Speaker 1: You're growing. Thanks, guys, thank you so much for listening to another episode of the Rise and Conquer podcast. If you enjoyed it and want more, come connect with us on Instagram at Riseinconquer dot podcast and join our Facebook discussion group, a Rise and Concer podcast community. We're an independent podcast and we have a small team, so we do appreciate your time and support. If you have a spare moment, a follow or subscribe on whatever platform you listen to would be so amazing, And look, if you're feeling extra kind, a review on Apple Podcasts would be great.