Speaker 1: Laura.
Speaker 2: Come on, hello everybody.
Speaker 3: Laura, Hello Mitch. Nice to be back here again with you.
Speaker 2: Great to be here, just us. Brittany Hockley is still in the African jungle today, Lee.
Speaker 3: Did you watch last night's episode?
Speaker 2: I did. I did get to watch britt.
Speaker 3: And still feel physically sick, like I feel I could have vomited last night watching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you didn't watch it.
Speaker 4: On Channel ten, We're gonna play a moment from last night's episode where Brittany Hockley had to she had to take down a nip, a pigsnip.
Speaker 3: Which I think would just taste like bacon, as Guy Wheatley said, I mean, look, she did very very well, but what she had to eat was revolting. And I do have a bit of a I have a bit of a bug bear with Channel ten and why they feel like it's appropriate to put the tuck of tar. I'm trials on right on dinner time, like I'm sitting down with my beef vindaloo and it's coming up, and then you.
Speaker 2: Have anim did you did they made Channel ten? Did the Bachelor two?
Speaker 4: Did you have any I mean your different nips we're eaten in that series?
Speaker 2: But did you have anything similar.
Speaker 3: Nobody ate my nipples in that series. Thanks that, Mitch. Really, no you don't. It doesn't not even mat No, you're own. Who else was going to eat them? There was only one Bachelor. Oh that's how it works for anyone who's confused. Many moons ago, I was on the Bachelor. I met my husband there. But no, nothing happens on the Bachelor other than just making out. Don't there's no there's no nip action in case.
Speaker 4: Okay, well Britt got great nip action and are going we play what happened?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, we're going to talk about it coming up next. Okay, it's wild, We've got that. I'm also on the show today. Your chance at a euro Summer. We've been doing this all week. It's like getting colder here in Australia. So we thought, let's get you on a business class flight. We'll send you to Europe. You'll go to all the big sites. You also get tickets to Ed Sheeran.
Speaker 3: I mean the best bit Ed Cheran and Coldplate. You get to see them live. Imagine.
Speaker 4: So give us fifteen minutes. So am I going to give you a chance at all that? Plus you'll eat at the best restaurant's hand select by the master chef judges. It just that and pigs nip in the same breath.
Speaker 3: Laura, It's what everyone could ask, what else is there in life?
Speaker 4: Thanks for guning in around Australia here thanks to chemists warehouse.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the pickup.
Speaker 4: It's just you and me, Laura. You know what could be the last day? Who knows? Because our lovely Brittany Hockey is in the African jungle for I'm a celebrity, get me out of here there doing an elimination a night at the moment.
Speaker 2: She could go tonight, she could win this weekend who knows?
Speaker 3: Who knows? But also she could dive of food poisoning. After what happened on last night's episode poisoning nip poisoning. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. So if you guys have been watching I'm slebty, get me out of here every Tuesday they do like the Tucker Time Trials, and yesterday it was it was a sick nick, not a picnic, a sicnick like the sickest, disgusting, most revolting food that you could think of. And britt did so not well enough, because she didn't get all the stars, but she did really well. The poor thing she had. She had one dish which was called the stomac and cheese. Stomac and cheese. The stomach, Yeah, yeah it was. It was a chicken stomach with rotting tofu sauce. That wasn't even as bad as it got. Okay, have a listen to this what she had to eat. I don't want to play anymore. You're good, you smashed. This is the worst picnic I've ever been on.
Speaker 2: I thought we put together a really nice on me.
Speaker 3: I'll help you.
Speaker 4: You going to read grete this, I'll help you. Chips and nips that is chips and nips, which is boviron liver, stink bugs and were savvy chips.
Speaker 3: And of course pigs nipples. No, it's worth one star.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, stewards that you need to eat.
Speaker 3: Actually literally legitimate nipples.
Speaker 4: There you go, there she goes.
Speaker 2: Smash.
Speaker 3: I think I have this. Okay, I'm so sorry, I've got it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I actually tried so hard I couldn't. Just the worst thing I've ever even I can't talk. Chips and nips, Hay, chips and nips, baby, and nips like pig nipples. It wasn't even the nipples. I reckon I could eat a pig nipple.
Speaker 4: I was going to say it was the sauce. Yeah, Yeah, the sauce was revolting. But she also took a big nipple, like there were you know how some nipples are really big. She took one with the biggest aerola like, she went for the big brown one.
Speaker 2: I'm like the over the piglet teeth.
Speaker 4: But she was sitting there chewing, and can I just say, if Sky Wheatley sat there and was yelling, come on, babe, you can do this, I'd throw a pinnip at her face. That made it worse.
Speaker 3: It's just it's gonna taste like bacon. No, the whole thing was absolutely revolting. We were sitting on a couch trying to watch it last night. I think it was like seven pm.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I had to stop eating my dinner every time, Like the same thing was dry reaching in my own living room.
Speaker 2: I still love that.
Speaker 4: That audio we just play was still better than some of the interviews she was doing around camp We've had this week. I mean, I think I'd rather listen to pignips than Peter Kam or whatever is great.
Speaker 2: No, he's good. But you know they're all low on blood sugar.
Speaker 3: They've been living off rice and beans and pic nips, chips and nips. You would think at this point in the trial they'd quite enjoy the nipple. Yeah, I'm fine with it totally. They're all out of action, you know. It was Tristan was like, oh Dodger, I do want to say. Okay, So brit vomited with the pig nips and the terrible green sauce whatever it was. But Michelle Bridges only last week she's stuffed down three penises?
Speaker 2: Is that when she went home?
Speaker 4: It is that actually celebrated in Africa? You know how when the celebs leave the jungle they get given their favorite dish.
Speaker 2: Did she just get three men?
Speaker 3: I think they were like they were pig penises, because I think they would be big. No, they were like chicken ones. They were small.
Speaker 4: Why are you so invested in the size and diameter of different animals' penises.
Speaker 3: Because it would really change your experience, wouldn't it? Like if you had to eat a horse one a chicken one, I know which one I would choose? To pick the chicken. You would pick the three of them. She had to eat three, and she she took it like a champ.
Speaker 4: She really Oh God, the language we're using around this is not okay.
Speaker 2: Animals, animal dead, animals.
Speaker 3: That's also okay. We don't know what's happening. Every day someone's going home from the guys.
Speaker 2: We're live on the air. We really don't know what's going on.
Speaker 3: What I mean by that is every day britt like someone's going home. And we don't want it to be britt every night of celebrities leaving the jungle now, which is why, more than ever, it's so important for you guys to vote. Haven't put in your ten votes today, totally go to ten play and get your votes in.
Speaker 2: I'm also going to reveal something that I'm probably gonna get in trouble for.
Speaker 4: What have you done now, Laura, you and I are down as BRIT's emergency contacts to be flown to Africa if she's in the finale. You probably missed it before she left. She went, Guys, Ben, my boyfriend is in Scotland. He's a soccer player. He can't fly over. My sister's in Scotland. My parents work full time jobs. She goes, I've put Mitch, my co host down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who does she think is going to do the show if we're all not here? Also, I don't know. I don't think I can just get off the parenting duties that quickly to fly to Africa or a whim. If she makes it to the finals, that means you're going, You're fine, You're free.
Speaker 2: I could be in Africa eating nipples. Oh God, sign me up, get me on the plane.
Speaker 3: As you all know, there has been some very very heavy stuff happening in the news recently, and I think especially for parents trying to navigate this space and navigate such a heavy news cycle when you have little kids, how do you talk about big and scary things that are happening in the world, but also protecting your kids at the same time. And I know my husband Matt and I we've been having these big conversations because we've got two little girls and we think we don't want to frighten them, but also there is the opportunity or the possibility that they might come across something and how do you protect them from the new cycle. So we have Sandy Ray. She's a psychologist she's a friend of the show. She's been working the past thirty years in this space, and we wanted to ask you, Andy, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Basically, good to speak to you both.
Speaker 3: It's so nice to hear from you again. For so many parents who are dealing with this at the moment and trying to protect their kids from the scary stuff that's happening in the news cycle, how do you think we should approach these things without kids.
Speaker 1: Look, it's a really good question, I think, you know, there's a lot of people asking exactly that same question, And I think the very first thing to do is understand first of all the age of the child. You know, we speak differently than we do from teenagers, than we do to ten year olds, than we do to under five. So really we've got to you know, just and a very important point talking about under five as you do have is really understanding first of all their emotional repertoire. They may ask questions, but do not presume that they have the emotional repertoire to give a full on answer. So parents need to not be seduced into thinking, oh, my bright little child can handle anything. They're asking really incredible questions be quiet, really nominate, and contain your self because they don't know how to process. They haven't lived long enough to process truly the in depth answers that it may or may not require.
Speaker 3: Well, that's my big question is like do you just completely don't bring it up and pretend like it's not seeing.
Speaker 4: It on television, then they got questions. Then you wonder, well they're going to perpetuate it in their mind or they get nightmares seeing what they've seen.
Speaker 1: It careerts correct, So it's really important to use age. I don't think we ignore it. I think that's the wrong approach because we don't know what their little minds are thinking and what they're feeling. But I think if they you know, if they perchance happen to come across a new cycle and they see or if they catch you parents talking about it and they ask a question, by all means I answer that question, but be careful to answer in age appropriate language. And secondly, I think there's a couple of really important messages here that I want to distinguish. We talk about probable and possible. It is possible that things like this happen, But is it probable in the way that we live our lives in the way that our mommy and daddy and mommy and mommy and daddy and daddy for you to look after you, you know. And I think that's a really important point. And you know, for the parents to be mindful that every single day we hop into a car. Every single day people die in car accidents. It doesn't stop us from living and getting back in the car. So that's not an example for a five year old.
Speaker 2: Of course, that scared me. Worked on a eight year old boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so bear in mind that, you know, for parents to have a reality check also that we do live our lives often in very dangerous situations, but that's not how we manage our lives. So we absorb it, we understand it, and we you know, we manage the risks in our lives. And I think the other important part, other than probable and possible, I think is a wonderful analogy for children to understand. It's a moment that we can teach children that there are very good people in the world. Unfortunately, there are some sad people in the world who maybe aren't very well. And that's the way I would talk about who are you know, But it's our job to also look after people who aren't well. Sometimes they do things that hurt us. They don't necessarily mean to do that. But mummy and mommy and daddy a daddy here, we're all here. We live in a very safe place. So I think that's really the important you know, keep on with and the most important thing is not to saturate children with these media events. Absolutely turn off the TV. Use this time for either adolescents or young children as teachable moments about the love that people have for each other and the care and the commitment that community show each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, plays a lot of love in this world, a lot of love in this It's a lot of love to focus on. All right, Doctor Sandy Ray, thank you for coming back on the pickup. You welcome any time. Listen, we're going to change the pace. We're back after this on the pickup.
Speaker 3: Look, I need to tell you about something because I almost ended up at hospital yesterday, which was quite dramatic with our little girl Lola. Luckily she's fine, you know, no real big dramas, but it could have ended very very bad.
Speaker 2: What happened.
Speaker 3: So Matt, Matt was on his way home, my husband Matt with the kids in the car, and he called me from inside the car and he was like, hey, baby, can you come out help me get the kids? Lola's been weird. I'm like, okay, So I walk out the front and I go around the back of the car, and she'd been calling for me specifically, and I thought it was mostly just because at the moment, Lola is going through this weird thing where she doesn't really want Matt to do anything for her. She only wants me. So she wants me to do everything from wiping her backside to putting it a bed at the favorite one hundred percent the preferred parent. So I opened the door to get her out of a car seat and she goes, hey, Mummy, I've got a button in my nose. Oh, I have a button in my nose.
Speaker 2: Was she being serious? Was it a job?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I wasn't sure. And like she's also just three, so her speaking is not incredible, So I was like, what is she to say? And then I asked her again. She was like, yeah, fair enough, I got a button in my nose. And I was like, all right, just show me baby. She tilts her head back. Oh, yeah, she has our massive button that she's not just put into her nose. She's wedged it as far, because she's been sitting in the back of the car and the car seat the whole way way home from daycare picking a nose and trying to get it out, and she has shoved it all the way up inside into her sinuses, and baby, she's fine. She was quite heavy about it. She was like, look, mom, there's a button.
Speaker 2: Where was the button from? Was it her button?
Speaker 3: She picked it up from daycare. They use it for arts and crafts and they stick it on posters and stuff and with a bit of blue and she'd taken it home in her pocket and shoved it in her nose in the car seat.
Speaker 4: So do you freak out? Like, what do you do as a mummy that situation? You go, Matt, get the tweezers.
Speaker 3: Freak So the other thing is Lola's not in an age yet where she's quite understands the whole blowing of a nose, Like if you tell her to blow a nose, she goes, but she's actually sucking she needs to. She doesn't how to blow out. She only always sucks in. So she's been sitting in the back of the car trying to blow the button out, and she was sucking it in further. So this button is so wet. Okay, it's so weird.
Speaker 2: So I love that.
Speaker 4: By the way, she hates Matt at the moment, so even she's just not going to tell him that she's got a button.
Speaker 3: Up, and she didn't even tell him, she just kept it secrets.
Speaker 2: Do do you freak?
Speaker 3: So I freaked out? Well I did, and I was about to get so I was like, Matt, get out of the car, take Marley out, and I'll jump in and we'll go straight to the hospital to get the button out. And it was only that my sister recently, So my sister's maybe it runs in the family. Her daughter had stuck a piece of lego up the nose of like.
Speaker 2: Her supern family tree.
Speaker 3: It's what we do. It's cute. And she when she got to the hospital and before they actually went and operated or they got tweezers to get it out, they showed her this technique, this nose blowing sucking technique thing that I think every parent should know because it is so effective. And I never got, like I did all the baby safety kids stuff. Yeah, and I never ever got taught this, so I ended up doing this technique that I called her. I got the information and I did it and out comes flying this massive yellow button. It worked, it works, it's perfect.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what's the technique?
Speaker 3: So you have to see?
Speaker 2: Could you do it on me?
Speaker 3: Can you stick a button in your nose?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Stick a pen in your nose. I'll stick a bottles okay, but it does ut stick. Sorry, I'm also my nose is not that big. Oh there's a pen, or I'm gonna put a SHARPI this is don't do this at home. I don't think you. It does require me putting my mouth. My mouth you bit in the end off that producer grace. So I'm gonna get a nose bleed. I need to put my mouth to your mouth to do it. That might be a bit close for the friendship.
Speaker 2: Didn't stop us at the Christmas party. Come over here, I've got a panel it in my nose. We'll put this video on the pick up socials. Now I sell.
Speaker 3: I' I have coffee breath.
Speaker 2: You don't you just I'm gay. We're not gonna fall.
Speaker 3: In love you might, okay, all right, sit down, you're talking to that No, I really have to put my mouth over your mouth.
Speaker 1: And want to.
Speaker 2: You don't want to.
Speaker 3: I don't want to. What do you mean I'm dying?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Sit down?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is really aggressive though, usually the thing that's in someone's nose pushing it deeper. Sorry, I have to go on the other.
Speaker 2: Side, okay, to purse my lips for you.
Speaker 3: Can you make it less sexual?
Speaker 2: Stop breathing heavily?
Speaker 3: Okay, so maybe close your eyes, describe, describe what you're doing. So I think that this is so important for every parent to know this. You have to if your child has something stuck up their nose, you block the other nostril, not the nostril that has the thing in it, but block the opposite nostril, so then your kid will have their mouth open, and then you put your mouth over the mouth.
Speaker 2: Do it the longer you pause had a purse, could just be quick?
Speaker 3: Are you ready? I didn't get a sealed. It wasn't sealed.
Speaker 2: Try again, can't put my mouth You've got this? Okay?
Speaker 3: Okay, get ready. That's on the other side of the room.
Speaker 2: I'm a wife work.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, wow, everybody I have made out with Mitch Jury. He is alive and that was beautiful. And also if you ever find yourself in a situation where your kid has a button up their nose, it's very effective.
Speaker 4: We're gonna post that video to it to the socials and we're going to get the Australian government involved.
Speaker 2: And that's an initiative that.
Speaker 3: You think we're gonna get a meeting with HR tomorrow when we come here, I think we've lost the show.
Speaker 4: Oh don't gag yack. I'm a beautiful man. People message me asking to yeah, let's go home. We will see you all tomorrow. Goodbye, see you guys,