Speaker 1: Cut, Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms, Catch up podcast Lex and Rooms. It's Flex and Frooms on cater We are here with you from three to five pm on week nights and FLEXI. As you know, I'm a Melbourne stan So I grew up. It's my favorite city.
Speaker 2: Isn't my favorite city in the world?
Speaker 1: I would say nostalgic wise, it's hard to it's hard to separate the upbringing from the city. I will say it's a bit flat, it's not enough undulating hills.
Speaker 3: Oh, I was like flat and way I like hills as well. Visually picking favorites, I don't know if I'm into that these days really, because if you said.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite song? Movie, food?
Speaker 3: I would have the same kind of response. Oh, it's hard to pick a favorite, and depends on it's a it's a very loaded question, yes, because you know when you say it, someone's gonna hold you to it.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's your face, What do you like about it?
Speaker 3: I would do. I would do the same thing if you said Melbourne's your favorite, you'd be like, well, there's heaps of cities in the world, all right, list.
Speaker 1: Them off least a few seconds and sist, let's do some comparisons. So, yeah, Melbourne's very flat. If you're from Melbourne and you've never considered that, I might just ruin your day. Something changes in your brain when you can see things from all different angles. I swear it makes you more hopeful. That's all I'll say. That's why you should come up to Sydney for a little sabbatical, little three months stint over summer, get a sublease, go anywhere. No city is way hillier than Melbourne. I'm just saying if I'm not comparing to two cities in terms of helliness, Oh.
Speaker 2: Was all we were doing? Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, got it?
Speaker 1: Just hills, no other vibes. That's just too complicated. There is an exhibit on.
Speaker 2: In Melbourne right now. It's called Melbourne Now.
Speaker 1: It's on until August. I don't exactly know what it is. I think I want to check it out next weekend. But I know that my friend m Nolan, who's a designer, has one of her designs there and it's got art there, and they have something that has really piqued my interest that I really want to try.
Speaker 2: It's a death simulation. What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Well, it's made enough headlines that it's all around the world. This is an article from The Mirror UK. There's a guy called Sean glad Well and he's created a death stimulator, which shows you simulator a death stimulator.
Speaker 2: What's the difference?
Speaker 3: Stimulator is like, I'm going to I'm stimulating you. I'm like the simulators moving around. A simulator is like uh like again, like when I'm putting you in an environment that gives you the impression that you're experiencing this thing. If I'm playing a farm simulator, I'm doing the activity of a farmer.
Speaker 2: I'm simulating.
Speaker 1: On a technicality, I will say I'm correct because it does shake you, this death simulator. So this is a guy and he's created this simulator. What does it kind of look like. It looks like you're behind a sheath and you're all on hospital beds and you're hooked up to monitors and you're also hooked up to a heart rate monitor. So if it gets too crazy at any point, you just put your hand up and they'll whisk you away.
Speaker 2: It all started. So he's an artist.
Speaker 1: It's called passing Electrical Storms, and it's all about guiding participants through a stimulated de escalation of life from cardiac arrest through to brain death. So then they get actors to come in and pretend like they're doctors, like, come over you. You get these goggles that show you what you like from above, and all of this stuff we.
Speaker 3: Have not read. The body keeps the score. Why are we doing simulated trauma?
Speaker 1: Someone said that, like on TikTok, they had gone on it and then said what their experience was, and they said they can see how it causes anxiety and panic because the borderlines on what death is actually like what happens is you're laying down, the bed vibrates, you flatline, The.
Speaker 2: Doctors come over the top of you. You can see yourself in the goggles.
Speaker 1: They try to revive you, it doesn't work, and then you float up past them into space and it keeps going. So I'm assuming this is some kind of visual experience. I generally have to come back and do it and explain it. I want to throw the server to our podcast because near death, near death experiences, I've heard a million of them. You see the light of the tunnel, you don't see out of the tunnel. Have you ever met someone who's had a near death experience? No, not that I know of, not that you know of. The only person that I know who has was my mum.
Speaker 2: She was kayak.
Speaker 1: She was whitewater rafting, I think, and she got thrown over the side and no one knew where she was and she was actually trapped onto the boat. And she said that she panicked for ages and then she just accepted it and then she got pulled out of the water. So, as you can see, there's a lot of near death experiences around the water with my family. As you will know if you're a regular listener of the show. It was just a year ago now that I had a near death experience in Bali swimming where there was red flags. Please remember, never swim near the red flags.
Speaker 2: It means don't go there.
Speaker 1: I'm like, when you're your Bondi beaches and your tamoramas and whatnot, what do I think happens just before you die?
Speaker 3: Well, before you answer that, what's appealing to you about this experience?
Speaker 1: I like immersive art galleries. I think they're really fun. One of my favorites is Mona. They've got a lot of kind of like intense audio sensory experiences. My favorite one, which is also so gross is obviously the fart simulator or the poor simulator who thinks of that, Like, imagine the kind of research you had to do. It's genius. I love art that like, if you're not an arty person, you can still enjoy it and still get a similar effect out of it. However, I would encourage people, if you have the time and the means to just go to galleries on a random day, to like try and get into the art practice and why because it helps you look at life in a different way, and I think you can appreciate art more. Like I've got a friend who makes art that's like sculptures, and I think if you were just looking at them, you think, oh, they're just like a random sculptures where you like put all this stuff together. But when I hear about an artistic process, and I've seen it firsthand, even the act of her creating this massive body of work across many, many years, it adds to the law of how you create these works. I just think I would like it because I haven't thought that much about death, Like I'm I'm not religious, Like I haven't really looked into it that much. I have always assumed that nothing happens like, I don't really believe in reincarnation.
Speaker 2: I don't not believe in it.
Speaker 1: I just like haven't been around that many people that believe in that kind of stuff. So I like the idea of practicing it out because I think we all think about what's it going to be like after I die? Like are people going to even be sad? I would love to know, like what are people going to write on the little cards to my family? What kind of flowers are we getting? Like are we gonna be using my playlist? And the death? Like am I doing an open casket? So I think it'd be a humbling experience to do this simulator. Go do it and then go to Chinchin for lunch, do you know what I mean? Like, then go and enjoy your life or what it is, Go and talk to your friends. It's a really great way to like bring up the topic of death because it's definitely I don't think we like talk about it, and for good reason. There's a lot of like super around talking about death, Like even now I think, so even now me talking about it, I'm like, oh, am, I like willing this into existence. If you believe in manifestation and you talk about it too much.
Speaker 2: And that's not how manifesting works. Well, I think it.
Speaker 1: Is for something, Oh yeah, like if you if you talk about something enough like you talk well, yeah, like you've said to me before, if you keep saying that thing about.
Speaker 3: Yourself, yeah, but that's that's like neuroplasticity. I think that the way you speak about yourself in particular informs the way you see the world. Right, so your brain can't tell the difference between reality and fantasy, and your subconscious mind is storing everything you've ever seen, smell, touched, herd experience, and is giving you and it's like processing the starter in real time. So I think it's a waste of your space to think so negatively or to say things negatively, because even though you may not consciously think you feel that way. Well, your brain is like, well, i've heard you call yourself silly or as many times as I've heard you call yourself smart and intelligent.
Speaker 2: So so this at this point, but it's like a random stab.
Speaker 3: But I do I do believe people should should think and speak really intentionally. But I don't want to scare people into thinking like because you said it, it's gonna happen, not everyone's like gifted.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, but it's like it's like in the same vein as touch Wood.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I think it's interesting because I used to be really flippant with the media that I consume, but hips the horror movies. I had like a small true crime era, heaps of sad music. I was like, I really want to go to a ghost tour type thing, you know, all of those kinds of things that you expose yourself to for a thrill. It's exciting to be interacting with things that are so unique and rare, but just knowing that your body can't tell the difference, you're not leaving that experience going I need to deal with that for a second. So you know how after you watch a horror movie, you see the most insane, traumatic things. You're scared, your cortisol levels are rising, you're grabbing your friend, you're shaking.
Speaker 2: At one point, you're actually like you're like really really scared.
Speaker 3: You don't want to say anything, and you just leave and go home and wonder why you're tense. The next day, your heap's anxious, you keep having nightmares. And so when I see this, when I hear about this experience, I'm like, Oh, that's really interesting.
Speaker 2: But I'm also like, is the payoff worthwhile.
Speaker 3: Knowing? Because that's next level you're putting. I'm assuming it's VR like you.
Speaker 2: I think it must be.
Speaker 3: So you've got a VR headset on that's letting you see yourself from a bird's eye view. As people resuscitate you, You're hearing yourself flatline. Everybody's freaking out. You go into space. It sounds cool, but I'm just like, I've got already layers and layers of stuff I gotta deal with, and a whole lifetime of extra trauma to experience. I don't think I can be playing around on a random Tuesday with three me going.
Speaker 2: Oh, put a die, let's die today.
Speaker 1: I will say I agree with the horror movie stuff, like I think I I reckon.
Speaker 2: I've said it like ten times on this podcast.
Speaker 1: But when I watched Black for eleventh eleven eleven, when I would watch Black Mirror in the holidays, over summer holidays and I just watched like three episodes in a row, it was not good for me. It sent me into a little mini episode of feeling shit. So yeah, I like the idea of being a bit more conscious, particularly about the scary stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we like gambling, but let's let's know that the risk is worth it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'll be going to the death simulator. Oh, you have to go if I can get it the next level.
Speaker 3: But I'm just saying, I'm like, I'm freaking out now.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, is it going to be worth it? Anyway? We'll talk about later. You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 1: For more, tune in de Caater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.