Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch Up podcast.
Speaker 2: I need you to open up these ears and answer this question honestly. Do not falter for just a second. If you lie, I will find out and catch you.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: What is more damaging to observe online? In particular depressed wallowing like nihilism, core apathetic hotness or highlight reels, happy moments, toxic positivity? Answer it not you frooms? Answer it okay, hot and now listen to this.
Speaker 3: I am a little bit worried that I have sort of tik tooked myself into a corner. You know, I try to be honest and authentic. I think that that is really important. But I'm worried that in my efforts to be authentic, I have inadvertently created a persona and I feel like I have sort of become just this self depreciating like archetype. Life sucks. I hate everything until saying so.
Speaker 2: When I saw that video initially, and this creator, Oslo Boslow, is someone that I followed for a little while, and they make a lot of these kind of like again, self deprecating, self referential, like do I just wake up every day and go to work and come home, but in a comedic way. Okay, I just think their delivery is quite funny. But when I watched this video, I said, oh, isn't that ironic? Isn't that ironic that you have somehow taken what started off as this really joyful, like comedic, cynical content, and now it's actually making you hate your life? That is crazy. And so I was stuck in this like thought cycle about it because I felt really sympathetic when I saw the video, and I could see that people in the comments were like, is this not a bit? Is this not a bit?
Speaker 1: Are you okay?
Speaker 2: I can't tell? What do you need us to say in response to this? And then I thought the people hating on highlight reels, they need to see some of this, because this, to me is a much harder watch to be honest. What in a world where we had to choose between really honest and apathetic, cynical nihilistic behavior versus hyper optimistic toxic positivity. I think you know which one I'm taking.
Speaker 1: Optimistic?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, any old day. I love to see a person tripping and happy. I love to see a hotty yet hotter. I love to see mandem on vacation who Mandem gadem I just love to see people enjoying. I just feel like I'd rarely go on the internet see something having the best time and get secondhand cringe or any kind of feelings of like disdain for it. I'm like, this is so sick. I want to be happy, Like, oh, what gig is that? That's so cute. It's just like it's second nature for me to see someone, not see someone. But you know, when I often see enjoyment, I'm like, oh, that's fun, that's funny.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you get jealous.
Speaker 2: I get like, oh, I want to be outside, what are we doing? Like I get a comparison, right Mike could be or when I declined to go someone like, oh, dad really having fun. I want to have fun. But when I see someone commiserating, I'm like, skip, I know what it is?
Speaker 1: What is it for me?
Speaker 2: Personally? I just think and like it's gonna sound terrible to say, but like people are going through harder things. I just don't care in the sense that like, are you sure, babe, No, It's not everything. Like let's say, like, for example, I saw this video the other day of this girl being like, oh, you know, like I went, I saw this invitation online for a mixer for like swingers party. It was like, you know, girls, like local girls getting together to meet and enjoy and whatever, and she's like and I went, and like it just wasn't like what I thought it would be, Like nobody was coming up, and I just feel like, you know, I don't want to say say I was misled, but it just felt like they needed to be like more effort put into making sure we were each individually having a good time. Squirrel scirrel scirrel scirl didn't really like felt neutral about it. Then I actually see the event and I'm like, oh, oh, Like it was literally people sitting on picnic mats, Like what were you expecting? And like, obviously we're not having one homogeneous experience. But I just felt like, what was the narrative that you were trying to share. Was the party not good or you're saying we shouldn't go to it. Was it an observation of how you felt in space where people weren't inviting you into it, not that Like everything that I need to see in experience online needs to be helpful to me. And so when I think about the way that people observe the Internet and what often they're kind of like highlight reels are so damaging and we end up comparing ourselves. I'm like, what's also damaging is inviting us to wallow with like no purpose either, you know, like inviting us to shit on something. Inviting us to critique on something like that is not better. Yes, it can be more entertaining. I love seeing someone rant, it's funny. But in the grand scheme of things, for every like rant you see, I don't think we're scaled evenly enough that. I'm like, I think we could do with more like optimistic not just like toxically, but like the depressed wallowing. I'm like, is this really helping us? Or is it just giving us more tools to like whatever? The physical version of that noise is? How do you feel about wife? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What do I like personally?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: What do you think is more damaging to observe? For you?
Speaker 1: Give me one one second?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I know some people who are like this highlight reel stuff. Really it eats at me, Like I don't hate to see another person doing something that I'm not doing.
Speaker 1: I get eate it at that for sure. That sucks when I'm in a bad place. When I'm in a bad place, the fun times eat at me, and the negative things make me feel better because I'm like, oh, at least I'm not posting about it.
Speaker 2: Ah, but ah, like I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't like people that do post things like you know, people post like mental health. Here's the thing of me crying, Like I just think of beliheaded crying.
Speaker 2: I don't know those I see how.
Speaker 1: Knows the ones? Yeah, all the pizza posts. And she had a lot of crying posts too. This is the this is the reality, Like I feel like people that post this isn't what real life is on the internet, Like come from the right place. I want to say, it's pretty obvious that life isn't always exciting a vice all the time. How do I feel about it? I just mine's too convoluted because I post content that lives in an ecosystem, so I'm never I'm never looking at something purely from like an observation lens. I'm looking at being like, oh can I read post this? Oh what do I think about this? Like? Oh, what is the climate of the Internet that I now exist in? Like it's like a chef now notices everything in a piece of food. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You're rarely just like as a concert humor of this content that didn't hit.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I never just consuming content, never ever, ever, she said, highly strung, always on. Yeah, in a good way, on a hot way, in.
Speaker 1: A hot way. But I like I like nonsense. My favorite thing is to watch like a TikTok that's got like all these crazy noises and this random footage. It's the funniest thing.
Speaker 3: Ever.
Speaker 1: We'll post one on the page when this goes.
Speaker 2: Oh, we'll post a thousand anyway. Miss you already, Bye bye.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 2: For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.