Speaker 1: Hey there, everybody, Welcome to not another crime podcast. I'm Georgia La, I'm Sammy Peterson.
Speaker 2: I'm a journalist.
Speaker 1: I am not going to tell you what we are job. That didn't make any sense. We are joined today.
Speaker 2: What we are joined by, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: And we are joined by today someone I'm a huge fan of, one of the great podcasters of our goddamn time, the great Joe. Welcome.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much for having me. And that's probably the nicest introduction I've ever had.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, what do people? Usually says this guy, he'd start by saying, what we're joined by.
Speaker 3: Those close into a normal introduction lot, we're joined by it.
Speaker 1: But so we've had two other people you're very close with, colleagues with the great Jackson Bailey and Joel Zammett. And I haven't told you this, but you were when I first did your wonderful, wonderful podcast Belloing the Death Star. You weren't there that time, and I asked both of them to come on, and then I think there might have been a thing where it was like, I'm not gonna ask. Remember, you're in a supermarket when k you what was this?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, so I was in I honestly can't remember which chain it was, but Sun not Spun. You hate a supermarkets, but if any supermarkets want to reach out, I'm pretty played more than happy to. Yeah. So it was like shopping and uh it was the week after I can't remember. It was Jackson, Joel one of them Movi being on the show, and then over the radio in the supermarket was an advertisement for Not Another Crime Podcast. I was like, I was like, first of all, didn't no podcast got advertised in SuperM No, that's.
Speaker 1: Awesome for a big deal, A big deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought that, Like, it must have been like a because I was surprised because it was a reading done by neither of you, which is also kind of.
Speaker 1: Oh that's interesting. Who was it done?
Speaker 4: No, it wasn't a voice I recognized, I got my voice. It was kind of Jackie some awful.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He was saying, if you want to podcast the alliance perfect with my beliefs, why not check out Not Another Crime Podcast?
Speaker 2: As I said, this is a nonspown podcast. Anyway, if anyone is willing to give us a shout out, will take Oh.
Speaker 1: But we're happy to be in super much.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It was like again like I was like, I didn't know this could even happen, but it did also feel spiteful. So thank you so much for following up.
Speaker 5: Welcome Sammy.
Speaker 2: This has worked perfectly. He doesn't realize we were following him around with the speaker.
Speaker 1: That's right, torturing in supermarket. It's actually huge for us. Yeah, but you are, I mean you've been podcasting for a long time, so you're one of the og podcasters in Australia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we will thank you, actually, thank you, thank you. I'm so sorry for what we've done to the industry. Yeah, so I started podcasting. I think our first episodes came out in twenty twelve. Yes, yeah, but we started.
Speaker 1: Did you start with plumbing the dead stuff?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: We actually we started the podcast network. So it was originally started at Literary University, which is the opposite of sponsor content because they kicked us out in the end and then knocked down the studio we used to record it, only to then rebuild a studio. It was crazy, felt how lost five.
Speaker 1: Redundancy package.
Speaker 2: They just did. They disliked you so vehemently that they wanted to burn all well.
Speaker 3: They had like a very awkward situation I think where they like, I mean, this is all just speculation, but basically fine alleged So allegedly, no, they podcasting like really took off. But in the spot where it took off was the time where they were like, hey, guys, you can't use this anymore. You're not anymore. Get out.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And then like within six months they were running like this huge story about like how podcasting is a new way of new media and also like there's actually like brand new podcasts coming out of Latrobe University and didn't mention us, but then we looked up the ones they mentioned and we were like, oh, we're like five times the best size, Like.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Glarin is not your car, Yeah, it's only for Shure. So you're saying in twenty twelve podcast started becoming a big thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we were really lucky. Where So me and Jackson were students at Latrobe. Joel Zammett was a tutor, which sounds like.
Speaker 4: A torrid affair, but it was actually it was crazy.
Speaker 1: The affair.
Speaker 3: It was crazy, and.
Speaker 2: That's today's story. Thank you for the introduction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, te Yeah, the crime.
Speaker 2: Silence, I love an exclosive.
Speaker 1: That's what we gave you a beer because.
Speaker 3: No. So Jackson and I started university after taking a gap year, so we were a year older, and Latrobe had also for some reason given Joel a job when he was like doing honors rather than the masters, which is apparently usually a no.
Speaker 1: No again, A great.
Speaker 2: University twelve sounds confused.
Speaker 3: Well, it was in a period of time where they were transitioning from like, hey, well like the arts university to like, hey, science actually gets us a lot more money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get more international studios.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well they built like my first year at the Litrope, they built a brain new science building and I was like, oh, this does about run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the phone is talking in your pocket?
Speaker 1: WHOA check it out?
Speaker 5: Check it out?
Speaker 1: Well that's a bit cool, it said international students, and then said check it out in production that I gave you check it out? Sorry.
Speaker 3: So yeah, basically, yeah, so they were getting rid of the arts program slowly, and like a couple of years before I started there, there used to be like a basically like a college radio station or uniradio station.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there was a audio studio there that was on par with what ABC were broad asking out of no one had used it in years. So Joel who was doing an honors on I can't remember. I think it was on Yeah, No, I think he was doing his honors on. Like it was either like new podcasting and the relationships formed, so it was like.
Speaker 1: Wow, like social relationships and yeah.
Speaker 3: Jumping into parasopic relationships, or it was just about parasocial relationships and podcasting was.
Speaker 1: Like a new team that was like interesting, and he.
Speaker 3: Was like, hey, let's restart the radio station. But instead of it being like a live broadcast, because that's god, what a lot of work. What if we do this new thing podcast which is basically recorded an hour of radio and then it could just be listened to whatever you like. That's okay. And then the first wave there was like six or seven shows started at once. Yeah. Yeah, so it wasn't just us, there was like it was like a unique group. So there was maybe like twenty twenty five students and then uh Jackie most of yeah Kylin Jackie Mission, Indy, Hey hey it's Saturday. But podcast. Yeah, he was saying it was.
Speaker 2: Huge, and it can because you can't see his face.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, So we started all of that and then maybe like a month or two in when most of those podcasts have released anywhere between one and four episodes. We had a meeting and Joel was like, Hey, this is going really well. All these shows good stuff. We have already hit our bandwidth limit with SoundCloud at the time, so we're just to continue this. We just need twenty dollars. And that resulted in ninety percent of the people quitting.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that that is the most unique student the story I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: We're going to get twenty dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So then we so one of the shows the like, So, the first show on our network that pretty much powered through all of that was me Jackson and another person that's still involved with the podcast but doesn't have a weekly podcast at the moment, Zoe Blotto.
Speaker 1: It's great, Yeah, so funny.
Speaker 3: So US three had a podcast called shut Up a Second. That show is also now still going, but we've changed hosts.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, I've yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: I haven't been asked on it, but I have heard it in the market.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so which he listens to everything.
Speaker 3: So that was the first show that was originally hosted by Me Jackson Zoey, and then from there, one of the other shows that we canceled was called an Hour of Your Life you won't get back right now where we were basically, and this was like real deep. You gotta remember it's twenty eleven or twenty twelve this point. Well, just like getting into like watching movies and being like, well we're going to talk so deep about it and like get lost in the universe. And then we did.
Speaker 1: What Green for.
Speaker 2: Someone studying there on it again it was way more like.
Speaker 3: Like still funny, but like we were like, let's try and get some answers or whatever.
Speaker 2: Again they're a UNI student taking yourself a bit too seriously.
Speaker 3: But then we did without twenty two episodes at the end of that run that will wiste stupid and that we talk, we're like, okay, hang on. There was also like six hosts of that show. Oh wow, so that got cut down to three, and then that became plumbing the death style, so like instead of just being like Shrek would be like the topic would be why Shrek Green? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Which you saw that from me?
Speaker 3: Which is it?
Speaker 1: Which is a great I think it's just such a fun idea for a podcast because you always say you're not a Star Wars podcast. But the questions are amazing. So, like I went on recently and talked about like does miss Petty actually love Kermit? Just yeah, and I just Stuart Little always comes out yeah chat yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Because we've been doing it for so long, there is definitely episode like if you go back and listen to the first episodes, which I would not recommend anyone doing if it was up to me, episode two hundred would probably be our first episode.
Speaker 2: When you know that when you tell someone not to do something, they're going to do it even harder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so we got to remember that also, like twenty eleven, twenty twelve, that was a long time ago. Now people spoke differently. Yeah, so yeah, So at first it started like us, I guess, like trying to satisfy the question in the topic, but then it just like now it's like.
Speaker 2: Chat shit.
Speaker 1: Answer yes always, that's so funny. But by the way, I had to say, when you look down at my stomach before I thought my stomach was rumbling for ages, I thought you were going to call me out on your stomach grumbling Your pocket was too. But I think I probably started podcasting in like maybe twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen, this.
Speaker 2: Is wild to me. I am The first time I heard the word podcast would have been about twenty fifteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which it was. It was kind of very I was with Stupid Old Studios they were called at the time, and me and Greg Fleet had a podcast together and it was very much. It felt like, you know, like pirate radio or something. Was so weird because we didn't really know what it was. You were asking on guests that would come on and go, where can I listen to this? Like the thing just so strange.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean, like even we've been around for long enough that I remember when I was still hosting Shut Up a Second, where Dave Warnekey as a guest and he was like, yeah, I've just come from starting my own podcast, do go on?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, well look okay, I hear you showing off and bragging about being like the first of the game. We might have only started in twenty twenty five, but we're in Wilworth.
Speaker 3: So yeah. Let me tell you, if any supermarket ever advertised any one of our shows, it would get shut down a medium.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because it's, yeah, like podcasters, so the market is so oversaturated, and I always talk about that and go, you know, so would be so hard to start on you and why I people bothering. Everyone's got their ones that we listened to, and then in twenty twenty five, so I mean I were like that, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's all crime one next time.
Speaker 3: Also, I will say that, like you can, there's ebbs and flows with podcasts because like ones that people go to, they're always ending, Like I feel like that every now they're like there'll be like a couple of months window where I'm like, oh, like four podcasts where I've just all ended.
Speaker 1: I know, I know what happened there.
Speaker 3: Hey, you've got a time it right. I guess there is still but.
Speaker 2: Listeners like us that's good, like subscribe, write in review and tell your friend.
Speaker 1: Well, what's your relationship like with true crime?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: Are you a true crime person?
Speaker 3: I a criminal? He's asking have I committed crimes? Yeah? But only cool chill ones. Yeah, so I never You're not going to believe this, but I've definitely dated people who have been obsessed with true crime point yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. So I've listened to a lot of the earlier ones through osmosis or just them playing all I was.
Speaker 1: Around in the supermarket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I will say that I was like, I've definitely I go through phases where I'll watch a lot of it on you Tube. Yeah, where I've got like a few like content creators where I'm like, Okay, well let's see what this horrible thing happened. Yeah, cool, that was interesting.
Speaker 1: It's really horrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But one thing that I think ties more into true crime, but it's still like mystery solving. Yeah, so rather than like grizzly murders and stuff like that, or like you know, tales of survival and stuff like that, which I do find interesting. Yeah, but like things like lost media and like real people just like going absolutely insane to just find like a missing episode of TV.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, yeah, it was like really.
Speaker 3: Drives people crazy. And I love that.
Speaker 1: I loved is great and I know that you're a big fan of Who Dares Wins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So during lockdown I remembered it existed and then found out that on YouTube there was I think it was the first episode, oh no, sorry, the last the last ever episode of Few Days Wins, and then like a compilation VHS tape that had been uploaded, and then I think there was one other random episode, and I was like, where's the other hundred? And then I was like, I'll just go looking, and then I was like I can't find them anywhere, and then yeah, I became a little unwell about it for a bit. I did manage to uncover like two or three more episodes, but I got to the point where I was posting in the lost media subreddit like being like, hey, here's what I've done. But it got to the point where the next step was to pretty much hit up producers of the show through LinkedIn and be like, hey, what's the deal with this? Either that or try and get in contact with Mike whitt Whitney, which probably Whitney.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, it got.
Speaker 3: It got, But because it got it was going to have to be through LinkedIn and my LinkedIn because of the podcasting, uh not super detail, not detailed enough that if someone got a d from me that they would take it seriously. So I kind of was like, I'll get back to that. I'll have to either really set it up and be like, well, I guess I'm doxing myself. Yeah, fine, like team up with someone that isn't like a public facing person. But yeah, I just never got to it. I have so many like unread dms on Reddit of people be like we are you white with the search, so like it got some traction. But yeah, like I love stuff like that, or like when just like weird stuff happens, not necessarily like wha, we saw a UFO whatever, but like and we'll get to it with the like a weird case.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well it's really fascinating though, that what people get fascinated. But I think who is such a funny one because the tapes would be somewhere, but also they're not probably at a TV station anymore because it was a show that existed so long ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well here's a crazy thing without Who Does Wins? Trump's not the president?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So Who Does Wins? Is a dare television show and it was one of the best of its kind. In fact, it was so popular but weird popular that it spawned. There was like an Indian version and there was an American version. The American version is called Fear Factor, which was hosted by Joe Rogan. Joe Rogan doesn't do Fear Factor. He never starts a Joe Rogan experience, which means that that whole manner sphere movement doesn't happen, which means that Trump probably doesn't win the prem like doesn't win the election.
Speaker 1: I'm furious that it's all Mike Whitney.
Speaker 3: And I mean you could go further back. If Mike Whitney didn't survive that one over in the Ashes, then he wouldn't have been a guy. So then it none of would have been.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was so funny when I think about that show, all the thing I always remember. I think I've already brought it up on the podcast. Yeah, is a couple in It was always in a shopping center. It was a couple in a shopping center and actually playing Mike Whitney. Mike Whitney held a fifty dollars note pine that problems the minutes right and and goes if you get undressed and hop in that slipping bag, I'll give you a fifty bucks or always fifty bucks. And people would just do it, and then he'd pretend to run off with their clothes and be hilarious. And so we always had these things planned and it would always be running off with something that belonged to them. Yeah, there was of ever giving anything back. There was Mike Quitney made a lot of money.
Speaker 3: There was like one that was like I think it was in the compilation, but there was one where it was just like a guy where he was just like if you undressed down to your jocks and then we're gonna body paint you, and then you just go shopping and body paint.
Speaker 1: It was a supermarket again, it was a shopping stea.
Speaker 3: It kind of had like high point vibes.
Speaker 2: That was always undressing people for fifty dollars on TV.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean he would occasionally it would also just be like there was another one where it was like, for two hundred dollars, you jump to the level three of the like, so we again thinks like, yeah, like high point vibes, I think that's probably and landing like a big inflatable mat. So they were just like teaching this like teenage girl. So it felt very much like I don't think you're old enough that you can consent.
Speaker 2: To do, which broke in my brain because for two reasons. One, I'm now also going to become obsessed with finding these because I need to believe that this is all actually true. And also that Donald Trump link, You've you've broken something in there I don't think I.
Speaker 3: Can ever, because like I I kind of like had a thought. I was like, I wonder if like this is again during the Who Does Win's madness, I was like, Ah, I wonder if Who Does Wins was like influenced by Fear Factor. But I was like, in my head, Who Does Wings is so nineties and fear Factor yeah, yeah, and that is that is true and fear Factor is like who Does Wins? Also is like that that that first type of that show, not the first to do it, but like to the point where fear Factor is like has said that they were inspired by the success of Whodaes Wins.
Speaker 2: That feel quite shaken.
Speaker 1: Well, this has blown your mind more than when the Great Jackson Bailey came on and said I won day. I wished that I had curly hair.
Speaker 2: And then he just had nothing will blow my mind more than that.
Speaker 1: He wouldn't explain it.
Speaker 3: I might have there's a photo of him when he's like seventeen and he has like shoulder length blonde, dead straight hair. No.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's it's wild to me that that exists or something that he said, Yeah, I just wish for it. One day it can happen.
Speaker 2: I well, brain's broken. I'm gonna have to sit the rest of this episode out. I need a minute.
Speaker 1: I need to touch some grass or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I'm so sorry that I've come to you with such forbidden knowledge, but you do have it.
Speaker 1: You do have a story for us today.
Speaker 3: It's very exciting.
Speaker 1: Is it a weird It's.
Speaker 3: A weird unsolved mystery that like there was no real victims. I guess it was more just like a weird thing that happened and the FBI got involved and no one could figure out what had happened or why it happened, and then everyone just had to move on.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, feels a bit like burn after reading.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's the Max head Room TV hijacking.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love it already.
Speaker 1: I don't know that already.
Speaker 3: So basically to give you just a quick overview of what happens, or at least like what people in Chicago saw on TV so on the twenty second of November in nineteen eighty seven, with TV stations in Chicago just after nine pm and the nine PM news, all of a sudden, TV during a sports report, the TV cuts to black, bit of static and then Max head a person dressed as Max Headroom and then after a moment, Max Headroom comes onto the screen Max Headroom if people don't know, which is fair enough. He was like a video DJ on MTV. I'm pretty sure, in like the late fake name yeah Max, like Maximum. Yeah. So it was like a weird situation where he was a real like it was a man in makeup in the actual MTV version, a man in my up but had like early CGI effects behind him to make it look like kind of like a sci fi movie, just like introducing the videos and stuff like that and hosting a show. It was meant to be like whoa, it's the late eighties, it's the future. Actually yeah, and they also I mean Max Headroom, which is unrelated to this mystery, but they also decided to launch that show in the craziest way possible where they made it like a direct to TV movie that was like a cyberpunk like origin story and like explains why he got the name Max Headroom and how he ended up in a computer and becoming like a fake guy.
Speaker 2: I don't say Max Headroom is a great drag name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is. Well, I mean yeah, I'll show you a photo of him because he I mean, like, if you're naming yourself Max Headroom as a drag like Whilest doing drag, you might as well just steal his entire Look, it's amazing. It's like slicked blat. Yes, that is not what I expected.
Speaker 2: He looks like a cartoon carricter, like Johnny Brovo. Y.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh that's fascinating. Okay, so there was a lot going on with Max Headroom. He actually had Maximum made room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's like an actual.
Speaker 1: Okay, kind of looks a little bit like the mask a little bit as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, blonde blonde mask bit Chohnny Bravo. Anyway, so fictional character they made a TV movie. The characters British or the TV movie was it was just all like all over his name, Max Headroom because he was a journalist and he was being chased by like a mob or something and he explain it. He drove into a car park where the Max Headroom was two point three meters and that was the last thing he saw before he got knocked into a coma. Yeah, and then they uploaded his consciousness into a computer. It's a very complicated you gotta remember. This is pretty much the equivalent of like, what if they just introduced a new guy for video hits? Yeah, yeah, yeah, and then they're like, what if we gave him the most complicated backstory?
Speaker 1: I love the backstory of films. That's like what didn't need to be that? It was also remember private Parts the film Oh yeah yeah, yeah about Howard Stern. Yeah, and it's like Howard Stern as Howard Stern, So he plays himself in kind of an auto biographical story about his life. It's weird because he plays himself and I imagine Max Headroom would have played himself in that wonderful film.
Speaker 3: Yes, so yeah, there's an actor that plays Max Headroom, but like Max Headroom the video DJ yeah the man insane. Anyway, So the hacking, so Dan Rohan is doing the sports report cuts the black Max Headroom appears, but it's not the Max Headroom. It's someone dressed as Max Headroom, and instead of having the CGI graphics behind them, they had just having a corrugated iron roof and someone is clearly spooning it to make it look like that.
Speaker 2: It's oh my god god.
Speaker 3: Then so static during it, no voices or anything, just that image just well it's video yeah, so it kind of looks like a guy's trapped in a TV I guess, but it's like low fire and weird, and it's interrupted the news and like people were.
Speaker 1: Like, what nineteen eighty seven, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Twenty second of November nineteen eighty seven. Wow the heck anyway. Then two hours later, on a different show, different channel, but still Chicago, at quarter past eleven, there is an episode of Doctor Who airing the Horror of fang Rock, a fourth Doctor Adventure just in case the same thing happens, cuts the black for a second. Static max Edrom comes back, this time for over ninety seconds, and this time, Oh, he speaks, yes, give it to me. So I don't have the exact dialogue because he's using like a pretty much like a vocoder, So it kind of sounds weirdly even though they interrupted max Headroom. M well, yeah, because they interrupted Doctor Who. He kind of sounds like for anyone who has watched Doctor Who or is like familiar, he sounds kind of like a Dalek. It's like really like synthesized, but he's saying insane stuff right, like kind of nonsense. At the time, the fictional character Max Edroom was being used to advertise new coke. So the guy picked up a can of pepsi and goes like oh and throws it and then says the new Coke catchphrase. Then at one point he starts singing like a nineteen sixties intro cartoon theme song, like humming It, but with this horrible vocode of stuff. And then he makes reference to that and then he goes, ah, they've got my files. No one noticed what that was in response to yeah, well now if it happened.
Speaker 1: Today, talking about it hedroom on the island.
Speaker 3: And then he he calls like, he's like, I've given you a new mystery, you nerds, and then it cuts to a slightly different angle where he says, oh no, sorry. Then he says, oh no, they're coming to get me. Then it cuts to a different angle where he's bent over with his pants pulled down hilarious. And there is another person dresses a maid, wearing a hat that covers her face. People assume feminine just because of like body shape. You'd never get any confirmation. He goes, oh, no, don't do it, and then she starts spanking with a fly swatter, and then she says she says something she calls him. She says like something something bitch also vocated yep ye, and then he goes He just makes like a weird groaning noise like ah, but like real synthesize cuts back to the doctor who. No one knows what the fuck happens.
Speaker 1: Seconds that's quite a long long time.
Speaker 3: So when it happened during the news, they could see what was happening Bolster, they were broadcasting, So when it comes back to the news reporter, he was like, you're probably wondering what just happened too, yell. But like with the doctor who thing, it was just people were just like, what is gone when that happened.
Speaker 2: Because there'd been no one in the studios or anything that would have just been automated to play eleven adopt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at the time, hacking was rare, and also that's quite.
Speaker 1: An operation as well to have that many things going on.
Speaker 3: So it had happened before. Okay, So the first time it was known to have happened was actually in Southern England. Uh, it was exactly, not exactly but almost to the day, ten years earlier.
Speaker 2: Ten years earlier, in nineteen seventy.
Speaker 3: Seven, is the first case that we're aware of and basically in Southern England, one of the TV show TV Networks was hacked. There was a four and a half minute voiceover so the image didn't change. Oh, there was just sound to put over what was going on, and it said look very funny and also drove people crazy. They were like, hey, we're really in We're from an alien race where an alien ambassador trying to speak to people. We're about to enter a new age of Aquarius. And then it just stopped and everyone was like, what the fuck. The people well, it's a hoax and they were like people are like, yeah, I bet you'd say it's a hoax.
Speaker 2: And the yeah, so there's people going you'd say it was a hoax.
Speaker 3: Would yeah. Actually, the first time it happened in America was actually like it was like eighteen months before, so April nineteen eighty six. And that is another famous case because it was to protest HBO. Wow, this cable was cutting into satellite dish sales or something. So a guy who worked for like satellite dish sales caught himself Captain Midnight and he basically the same thing, same thing. He hacks into HBO and he's like he says something like Cable twelve ninety nine a month or something. This is Captain mid No and I think that's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Anyway, they find him because he's caught within the week bragging about doing it at work.
Speaker 1: I'm amazing.
Speaker 2: Feel like there'd be so few people who would want to do that, like they would have the message that they want to get across it spific and also to have the skills to be able to do that. I would think in eighty six fewer people.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the Southern England one, the culprits were never found, but they were like, weird this one they find him. Max Headroom happens, and that one's stranger because there's images, like the images and the fact that it was so there was no There was another one. I don't actually have the information about it, but basically the Playboy channel was also hacked. Again just audio, Yeah, come on, nothing sacred. This was also This is also around the same time in the eighties and look, this is going to be no shock, but someone hacked to play like Bible verses and be like wow, yeah yeah, yeah yeah. So the reason that Max Headroom one is so significant at the time is one it wasn't just audio, it was visuals. To know, never owned up to it. No one really knows why they did it. There was no clear message there was like it was just strange and like this footage you can just it is on YouTube because because they I guess I don't know if this would have been part of the plan, but because it was doctor who, that was obviously something that like people would take. Yeah, and also I guess the news like that.
Speaker 2: Would keep records of that if you watch it later.
Speaker 3: And uh, and also like you can find both but if you had lost the news interruption because there's no words said, but the one where he talks is so unsettling. It's just especially because it's like eighties TV, so it's like a little bit staticky. You're watching it on like a When you watch it, it literally feels like you're like your TV is could like trying to tell you a message and coming to get sort of.
Speaker 1: Does he look enough like Max Headrowe? Yeah, look like he really does.
Speaker 2: Like it's he it was someone as.
Speaker 3: It's obvious it's someone just but at the same time, it's not like really bad. It's not like it's just someone wearing a wig.
Speaker 1: They're wearing a full wow, which like I look at and go, well, there's so many people involved in that, Like there's someone filming, there's you know, other people involved, there's a makeup person there, there's so many different people.
Speaker 2: Whoever understands the broadcast technology to be able to.
Speaker 3: So the FBI And another thing that was really interesting is the FBI had just passed the law opping not doing that, the upping the penalty, because like the Captain Midnight thing had happened, and they'd been like, oh god, it's like it's not really hard to do, so people will do it. He got one year of probation and a five thousand dollar fine. It got up to one hundred thousand dollar fine five years.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: But it wasn't directly like it's not like it was like earlier that week check timeline, but it was like recent enough that people like maybe it was just like a funny like sticking it to the man flex like you never do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it is so interesting to me as someone who would like I'm not saying that I would do this, but if someone did that, the fact that they never told anyone is such a huge flex. Like I think to leave that mystery unsolved is just wild to me that that would exist as a concept.
Speaker 2: You think people are doing it to be able to brag about it and like the other guy did.
Speaker 1: Like a political point.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, exactly, it's just like but it is like late eighties, so people like it's just like counterculture. I guess it's like people could settle on leather, like like they didn't care about being known for doing this. They prove that they could.
Speaker 1: Was it Crystal Lily? It could have been Crystal because he's hilarious. He does larious. That guys hilarious.
Speaker 3: I've got like I can show you. And also I think it's probably you'll get a taste of how crazy the audience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, need to kind of put this on their Instagram as wow, oh that's way scarier than I thought it was going to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 2: It looks a bit like the puppet in saus Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yes, yeah, yeah, it's actually Billy the puppet. Actually it's the name of the Poppeteah's Cramer.
Speaker 5: Actually, Oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So you're just watching TV and then that happens and you're.
Speaker 1: Like Jesus Christ's terrifying and then also.
Speaker 3: Especially because like even like it's in that upload as well, but like the bent over and the spanking thing, it's sort of side and so even though you know it's rude, you're not really seeing anything. You're getting like it's not like you get full ars or anything like that. So it's also another thing where it's like.
Speaker 2: If you're not even going to give full ass the point.
Speaker 3: But then also at the same time, like that would be so scary for like the TV networks to be like, oh, he could have gone like full dick out exactly.
Speaker 2: That would never happen on TV.
Speaker 1: So what do you think the theories are a huge.
Speaker 3: They at the time, they sort of were like okay, because the two networks were like local to Chicago, so they're like, well, here's the two broadcast towers. If they managed to get into a high rise, it's in these couple of areas and had this type of equipment, they might have been able to do that.
Speaker 2: But so they don't even really know how someone did it.
Speaker 3: They're not like, it's not it's not like that. They then found it's not like that. I don't know. They were investigating and they kicked open a door and there was an empty car, get an eye and the mask. Well they knew.
Speaker 2: There was like a satellite that could easily be interfered with.
Speaker 3: They're just like, we think we know what happened.
Speaker 2: That's someone more concerning. You would think that people who are broadcasting TV know how someone could do that. I feel like it's different to you know, these days, being able to hack into like a banking online system or something. There's so many security measures and stuff in place for that. One of these naive to say, But I would think in the eighties broadcasting television is a much more specific thing that like, well, the technology.
Speaker 3: Is very different Playboy hacking that happened because there was like a password system that was actually pretty easy to get passed, right right, right right that one that were like okay, everyone, yeah, we figured we know where the weakness was. But with this though, like I think they just had like microwave signals that were strong enough.
Speaker 1: To God and the FBI were involved, were.
Speaker 3: Involved crime, but then the statue of limitation was five years, so as of nineteen ninety two, They're like, well, even if we find out now, but then still no one came forward nothing.
Speaker 2: You'd be so tempted to but then worried that.
Speaker 3: We've changed firing squad time the only option.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Sammy, what's your theory?
Speaker 1: I feel like it must have been a point that was missed. I feel like there must have been a political point or something.
Speaker 3: I think because the short film is so like, ye, it's like we like if you watch it now again. Also on YouTube it's called like Max Headroom twenty Minutes into the Future. It's like a one hour film, but it's like really and Max Headroom, the character itself was meant to sort of be like anti consumerism and sort of be like kind of a comment on like, well, the way the world's going, So it sort of makes sense just for it to be weird that enough to prove the point to be like you're all mine controlled by TV.
Speaker 2: And it's just someone kind of yeah, showing off that they can sick into it.
Speaker 1: Is the person that played Max headro Ya Maximus head Rooms. Were they did they ever come forward and say anything like was there any actually yeah, wondering as a thing to.
Speaker 5: Be like, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: He was the one that released that song. It was on TV. Wasn't thank you? I wrote it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I have a theory.
Speaker 6: Whoa, oh my god, dis just made that noise happen with his tail. But this is very like this episode we're talking about weird speaking, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because I I just think it's so bizarre as like not having any clear answers but such a niche, niche thing to do.
Speaker 3: But it's also like really intense, like it's not just like again, I feel like that if it was just audio, people like, oh, it's like a weird signal overlap. There was an unfortunate like I have a few more examples of it happening, not like it's still over ten years ago, but in the two thousands there was a so in February twenty twenty, that's sorry, twenty thirteen, someone hacked into the emergency broadcast system and they played a message that the dead had risen from their graves and were attacking nearby civilians. Do not approach them, they're dangerous, go into hiding and tune into a radio station, which obviously, and again that was a thing of like, Okay, someone just figured out that past were they got into the emergency Hilaire is prank, Yeah, funny prank. There was another very unfortunate incident where a morning news report was replaced with three minutes of pornography.
Speaker 2: I remember hearing about the Yeah.
Speaker 3: That was at first everyone was like, oh my god, hackers. And it turns out that there'd been like a faulty cable and people repairing it and they just plugged the wrong.
Speaker 2: They just put it on an adult channel.
Speaker 3: They pretty much just rewired it so that the broadcast switched with an adult only.
Speaker 2: My imagine fucking up your job so badly that people thought it was like a planned political.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's funny that like stuff like that can like make the news even though it's just like a simple mistake, but it becomes like a like yeah, yeah, I worked at a cinema, Like that was like my job for fifteen years, and my cinema made the news one day because instead of screening Zutopia, they screened Deadpool, just because it was just like a that is so easy to do. Basically all you need to do is like so the way that movies work now that it's all digital and whatever, it's basically just like you assigned like the sessions will be there sort of it. It would have gone like Zopia Deadpool and then when that happens, you just assigned like the right movie to the right thing. It was just like, yeah, someone just chucked Deadpool and there's Utopia. Car Hey, buddy, I can't play right now.
Speaker 1: I'm doing a podcast, actually a podcast. He's very impressed with it.
Speaker 3: It's turned off. I really like it. Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's showing me. I haven't seen it a million times.
Speaker 3: And then like three A w came in and tried to interview people and like what about all that because Deadpool opens with a pretty hectic scene. Yes, and we're like yeah. It was just its like, yeah, that happens. I'm it sucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a huge political movement of like, yeah, you want to watch a Disney movie.
Speaker 1: I had I don't know I've told this on the podcast before, but I had a moment where you're like the v HS tapes like going down to get one, and Mum took me and my brother down to go and get one, and I want to go. I watched Spider Man's a new cartoon, Spider Man. I'm so excited about it, and they'd put the wrong the guy Jeff had put the wrong tape. Name him jeffiez of shit and he put it. He put a very very very graphic film in there, and it was so we kept running out to mum in the garden, going, Spider Man is not on yet, and she goes, he'll be on soon. Don't worry about it. It's not a cartoon. You don't worry about it's not to be a cartoon.
Speaker 2: She's thinking, it's like trailer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this woman put her in the film. She put her hand. She had a huge incision and she put her hand in the incision and started moving around in her guts. And me and my brother Michael was watching, going, I don't think this is no Spider Man. And it was so graphic. We would have been probably about twenty twenty five. Now we've probably been about I know, like was it six, like we were so young?
Speaker 3: Was it video droom?
Speaker 1: I don't know what the film was.
Speaker 3: What is that? A similar that has James Wood in it and at one point he gets pretty much of vagina on his stomach that he puts his hand.
Speaker 1: That's it, that's it.
Speaker 2: I am so I just found out what you knew what that was from that one description.
Speaker 3: David's first famous movie before he made the Fly. I love that movie.
Speaker 1: So okay, so I'm watching that with my brother. Unfortunately I need to it's a I'm sorry, I cold a vagina an incision.
Speaker 3: That's you did.
Speaker 1: Six years old.
Speaker 2: I think we didn't have a lessons anatomy.
Speaker 1: Not interesting. I get it.
Speaker 3: I'm a little curious, get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that that film, and it was so full on and you're like in the moment.
Speaker 2: But that's Mum saying no, just why.
Speaker 1: Mom still brings it up?
Speaker 2: Ye one like that I've done is I was just the annoying little sister. My sister's four years older than me, so there were quite a few years there where I was annoyingly younger, you know, And we were on a plane and it was back in the day is where there was a choice of movies you could watch, but they will start it like there were say five different channels, and you what would see in the aeroplane magazine, like this movie starts on this channel at this time, and you couldn't just start watch any time exactly. So it was just after Titanic could come out, and so obviously I loved Leonardo DiCaprio and the Man in the Iron Mask, was on the plane and I was like, that's Leonardo DiCaprio's I want to watch that because I like him. And I was in grade three and Mum was saying, no, no, that's too you know, you won't like that. It's too grown up. And my sister had said to me, she's like, you want, and I said, I want to watch it with I want to watch watch it within she goes, you won't like it. Half of it's in another language anyway, and I was like, I really want to watch everyone want to watch it, and she said, okay, you can watch it on your own and I'll watch on my own and you're not to speak to me while. So I put on the channel that it was on exactly and I was watching it and it had been going for over an hour, and I tapped her on the leg and she was like what And I said when does it change to English? And she went what? And I said, you said, half it's in another language, but it's still in another language. I had put on the German channel. I was watching The Man in the Iron Mask, but in German, but because she had said to me, half of it's in another language, meaning there were subtitles I thought she meant the first half was in German.
Speaker 3: I really hope says understands you. I also had an experience when I was a kid where I went to go see the movie mouse Hunt. The projectionist played the Devil's Advocate instead, which is an interesting one because I was like six or seven.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, one with Lee Nathan Lean, Nathan Leane and Lee Mack. Yeah, not Lee Mac, It's not Lee Mack, It's Lee Evans or something like that. He was an old like he was a big medium back in the day, and then he retired from doing comed and he's he didn't trust America anymore because all the agents him off and everything. Yeah, anyway, so yeah, Evids.
Speaker 3: I think it was Yeah. So yeah, the Devil's Advocate was a weird one, and I got more traumatized, I think, by everyone in this because it was a pretty cinema was maybe like half full, so but a lot of families school holidays, and the opening scene of that movie is a court case about a teacher assaulting a student. So but to children, that was just like grown up language I didn't understand. But to the adults, they were like Jesus Christ, so like all the adults like freaking out in the cinema were an understanding, which then made them really scared, so traumatized that for a little while, my parents actually made friends with that local cinema. Thankfully it was small, and because I used to really like going to the movies and I was like six, yeah, and I was really scared. But then like the projectionist was like had come down to apologize to all the kids fred who he was. But then the projectionist then made friends with my mom and my dad. I guess, so like whenever we came to the movies, they'd let me upstairs to watch the first five minutes from the projection booth so that I could like make sure it was the right movie because I wouldn't go into the cinema. And but then I got over it. Thank you. I'm just give me the most fucked is a video.
Speaker 2: Has been a beautiful psychology session.
Speaker 3: I know so many feelings and I solved the video drome mystery.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: The drome. It's called video drome. Okay, I'm gonna watch it again. I've GOTTSD.
Speaker 3: But it's a weird one for a kid to watch because it's kind of a slow burn. It's like and it's like weird intense. It's not just like someone getting shot and you're like, oh god, horrible. It's like what is this guy's put his head in the TV water?
Speaker 1: Yeahs coming out?
Speaker 5: Oh god?
Speaker 2: Alright, would you like to know my theory on love?
Speaker 1: Right? Okay?
Speaker 2: So the V to me the story itself and then seeing the vision is giving like just dumb, you know, kind of UNI students, college students doing a prank that they thought would be funny. They're smart enough to know how to kind of hack into the system. The fact that it wasn't political, the fact that it involves, like you know, someone in a maid's outfit in spanking. It just sounds like kind of boys in their early twenties eighteen nineteen.
Speaker 1: It does, Yeah, it does.
Speaker 2: You said that like the kind of way they might have done it was something like SCIENTIFICI that they worked out how to do that. And you say, you and a group of UNI students who used a disused broadcasting at Latronia UNI that was then shut down because the whole UNI started doing science science. I think it was you and the people that started Sandspan's Radio, And I'm right, had.
Speaker 3: I wish I'm slightly too young for this will have happened, but I don't care. Ma.
Speaker 2: Math is not my strong point. It is giving absolute vibes of that exact thing a group of college.
Speaker 1: Students, and that's what we're talking about it now.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll take my I'll take my accusations away from you and your friends directly, but it is the same thing. It is exactly what it feels like. A group of college students who have access to some kind of filming equipment and you know, or even a studio. They work out that they can break into broadcast and they just do a silly boy prank.
Speaker 1: And you're a big fan of the top yeah, huge, actually huge fan of room.
Speaker 3: I mean, now that you say it like that, like I mean I once did something like super I mean super annoying. It was like worst possible time for done this to the poor staff at Big W high Points. So it was twenty four hour treading. Me and my friends were just like because it was like you jack off here, I'll give you fifty bucks, and then.
Speaker 2: I paid him fifty.
Speaker 3: So it must have been like music streaming and Bluetooth just being like the general thing had happened, but it was still sort of new, and we went and we were just in Big w and for some reason. Yeah, so basically I don't even know why I checked, but I found I was like, oh, that's funny, there's a Bluetooth speakershi, just to like, can fantastic connect?
Speaker 2: Sure, let's go with connect to.
Speaker 3: And then I didn't even play like anything that bad. I just played run Away with Me by Kylie Ray Jebson. But that has like a really obnoxious and loud intro, which and obviously I had no way of t how loud their music system was going to be, and it just blost, my god, I'm been at like eleven thirty PM or like the twenty third of December, so no one. And then I remember there was like an older lady there. I say older now, but like yeah, realistically she probably maybe like forty.
Speaker 1: Five yea.
Speaker 4: Horrible, oh retire lady right.
Speaker 3: Now, maybe a little bit older, only because she turned around and saw me and my friends standing in the book section. No, that was the one thing because it was so loud. I think it was it shocked us enough a little bit for to be like not not like scared, because I knew it was going to happen. I just didn't expect to say loud, but I think enough that it like kind of reset us so that we were like we were just like whoa and like kind of looking and then she like turned around and looked as like can I help you? And we were like what's happening? And she was like what and what? We were like what and then she was like immediately it was like, oh, it's not them, like there is can I Well, they're confused like I am, and everything's loud. It's like thirty five Max.
Speaker 2: She couldn't hear it. She didn't.
Speaker 1: You can't go back into a big w unless the guy who's going to coach you throw it.
Speaker 3: But it was just like so funny because it was like so obnoxious and annoying of us to do, but it was just like something we definitely got away with it because like there was no way for them to be like, well, it's just bluetooth. And it was also like they didn't know how to turn it off. Yeah, yeah, I went to turn it off an accidentally, but like he was trying to do it subtly ended up restarting the song. So people like what is going on anyway, Practical jokes are never good. Always do things like this this victimless I was happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah great.
Speaker 2: This Max Headroom thing was definitely just dumb UNI students.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, because I think, like I like to think that now with the wonderful age of thirty five, that I would be grown up enough that if I had the capabilities of doing something like hacking into a live broadcast, I wouldn't do it. But if it was like if it was just presented to me.
Speaker 1: Getting spanked Max Hedroom, oh yeah with a cool.
Speaker 2: Vocals, putting his hand up to be the actor in again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if anyone wants to be made, please reach out.
Speaker 1: Thank you for coming on the podcast and telling us that he's so fascinating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, like, if you just search up the Max Headroom, you can see the raw footage and it's yeah, it's deeply upsetting, but in like a nothing bad is actually happening.
Speaker 2: You can imagine home and you account.
Speaker 3: Leven has the vibe of watching like the Ring tape from the movie The Ring. You're gonna to get a phone call now and say that I'm nothing actually happened, Like yeah, like it's not one of those grizzly videos. There's nothing. It's not like someone gets hurt or it's like moments before horrible disaster. It's just like there's no violence.
Speaker 1: It just really odd.
Speaker 3: It's just a guy with a weird voice doing weird stuff. Weird stuff.
Speaker 2: Dumb boys, I'm telling you, the dumb boys.
Speaker 3: I think that's probably why the FBI ended up dropping the Yeah, I like, it's just fucking.
Speaker 1: It was cute dropped interesting.
Speaker 2: But Simpson and Millhouse when they got over pranking most tavern on the phone, they moved to Max Droom on the TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, case sold.
Speaker 2: As we always say, at the end of the case, I think I.
Speaker 3: Might have actually solved this one. Sometimes the simplest answer is also the truest answer.
Speaker 1: Simons Razor, WHOA, I guess now, George, you have lots of stuff going on. You have a lot of podcasts. Can tell us that you can talk to the podcast?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So basically, yeah, I have four weekly podcasts, which is I would say three too.
Speaker 2: Many, but hey, as people sitting here that have two weekly, yeah, you got one.
Speaker 3: Too many, got three to So basically there's plumbing the Death Star, which is probably the one people might know me from We've Got thumb Cramps. Is you have like a very very insane video game podcast where the premise the premise is straightforward, but I think we've dug ourselves in such a whole of that one that it's like for new listeners, you're like, what is happening? He was here to listen to them talking about three games and they're yeah, Like, anyway, hey, if you want a podcast that will challenge you if you listen to it, thumb Crams big recommend. We also have a live show for that coming up in April in Sydney.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 3: It's the first time we've taken it into state. Technically, our first live show for that was in London, but it was like a secret show. It was a weird one. Yeah, exactly. It's definitely the first time thumb Grams has gone to Sydney for a live show. Yeap So that is in April. If you just head to thumb cramspod on Instagram ticket link. Is there the other two podcasts that it was baseless Baseless speculation and how Good's Footy. Basic speculation is basically just like we take upcoming movies or like look at a trailer and something and then just try and basically speculate what we think is gonna happen. It's also like one of those podcasts where like if we see a movie together, we'll just be like, well, let's just do a review this week the new Avatar movie, Let's talk through It. And Hood's Footy is just a weekly AFL podcast that will start up just before Round one, which was only a time of recording a couple of weeks away. But I don't know when this is coming out.
Speaker 1: It's coming like a week or two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, well, chances are the well, the football season starts first week of March, a big one, Plumbing the Dead Star and thumb Crams. If you like video games and if you like that podcast and you live in Sydney or for some reason you really like the podcast, yeah yeah, I mean like, I think we're driving a to e vent up there, so just jump message me. Miss your dress will pick you up. Thank you up on the way.
Speaker 2: And if people would like to audition for the role of made in your Prank video your personal.
Speaker 3: Instagram, Yeah, sir, you can find me on Instagram at Douche thirteen d us C H one three. I have a stupid last name, so I thought I just lean into it. Yeah, so Instagram is the best place to find me individually. Yeah, all my shows are also through like a that uh link tree on my Instagram. It's all there. Just to look it up, give me a follo of scroll down, just like a few photos at random at will. Whatever you want, Yeah, jump in the comments, if you jump in the company, just say whatever you want.
Speaker 1: Say whatever you want. I guess, yeah, go not's have.
Speaker 3: Fun with it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, where all are you to have fun of that? Thank you so much for bringing that story today. I feel very satiated by the fact that I solved crime and you stopped me thinking about Mike Whitney being the reason for Donald Trump being president for a while there I have just remembered. But that's all right because.
Speaker 3: I have been done that path before, and unfortunately there's no like oh Mike Whitney, I mean, like he didn't do it on allegedly. Thank you, Hey, no worries. Thanks so much for having me