Speaker 1: iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app.
Speaker 1: Got anything good?
Speaker 3: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the weekend. Rio.
Speaker 2: Hell Yeah, good morning Patty, Hello, and happy Friday. Alex Cullen Boom. You sound surprised, Rio, you won't show on Monday.
Speaker 1: A bit shaky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's hanging on strong the money now and that's honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any reasons here, we all know that.
Speaker 2: Anyway, listen, let's get through then, double thumbs up, Alex. We do this every Friday the start of the show because you know what it's like on a Friday night. Families are on the counches. There's too much choice. What's good, what's bad. It doesn't matter what you want to watch. You've got to somehow get the vector of what you happy with, your partner, the kids. It's a compromise. There's actually too much choice these days. There there's too much stuff to watch on about eighty billion streaming services now.
Speaker 1: After them, I don't even know what I'm paying for. I've got some building.
Speaker 2: They're like, I've never even heard of this, and the kids have got some VPN now where they're watching Tunnel Bear or whatever it is on I'm shelling out now for a bear.
Speaker 1: So anyway, we call it double thumbs up.
Speaker 2: We go around the team, we talk about the shows that we're into this week. So a couple of things for me then kick off this week. Something to listen to. I talked to before about how I love the podcast SmartLess. Jason Bitlan went on and Sean it's a very funny show. The guests they head in a couple of weeks, Hugh Grant the funniest episode ever.
Speaker 1: Really, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I actually pulled over at one at one moment to rewind it and laugh again. Hugh Grant is a funny, funny guy, right. I remember I watching an interview last year with Jerry Seinfeld when he had that Netflix movie out and hughes in it, and he talks about how he had dinner with you, and Hugh just said, I want to be in the movie, and Jerry said to him, there's not a role in it. And also we have an auditioned. He goes, I'm an audition shoe run and Jerry said he's one of the funniest people I've ever met, was getting so drunk, and I put him in the movie just because he was just so funny. There's this grumpy and she is like that, but he is the way he talks about his kids and his wife.
Speaker 1: This is a funny.
Speaker 2: That is an outstanding hour, And no matter what you've got going on in your life right now, everyone always leaves a laugh.
Speaker 1: And that is relentlessly funny.
Speaker 2: I always Hugh Grant on SmartLess is the podcast and then a couple of things to watch. I spoke a couple of weeks ago you land up watching it as well, American Manhunt Bin Laden, and it realized there's three documentaries they've made under this banner of American man Hunt. So there's been Larden and then there's three episodes of an OJ Simpson. One now about eight years ago. There was a brilliant dramatization Oh J versus the people there was really good. However, this three parter is the definitive look at everything. Is interviews with everybody again and they've gone and found load more stuff, like with the search of Bin Laden. Just when he thought you're up to speed it, you're not. You learn so much more from it and It really takes you back to that time and place just after the La Riots and all the characters there. It's mesmerizing, absolutely brilliant.
Speaker 1: This is called O. J. Simpson. Cannot recommend that enough.
Speaker 4: Tough to be in the same series as a Summer Bin Laden.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: And then the third one my daughter doesn't watching at the moment, is about someone who disappeared from a cruise ship twenty years ago.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I've looked quite a mixed bunchout it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm out on that one. Ye, yeah, I'm out on that one. So anyway, that one's really good. And then the other thing is our very own. He lives in the city. Eric Banner on Netflix on a horse, Yes please. Eric Banner is like a training sheer ass. Yeah he's peppery, but he's aging beautifully. Oh my god. Both Sam Nil's in it as well. Both of them are pulling off that they're park rangers with American accidents. You just get two Americans, Nil and Eric Banner. It's called Untamed Murder Mystery in Yosemite Park.
Speaker 1: Good luck. It's flipping massive.
Speaker 2: Your boy, Eric Banner has got like Spider Man, but for eyes. He's on that big old he's on that big old Horsey sud He's like this, what the hell, there's a gunshot ricochet. Then you're like, Eric, special agent, see that because he's Eric Banners riding on that beautiful water.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he's come a long way from the castle, hasn't.
Speaker 2: He's out of a lovely log cabin.
Speaker 1: However, suddenly towards the end of.
Speaker 2: The first episode you realize why he's a little bit grumpy and he prefers silence, sadness. I was watching watching with the family and we're all obviously eyes forward. My two daughters go without even looking. That's crime right now.
Speaker 4: I went on, is it something to do with a daughter leaving home?
Speaker 1: Or son? Fictional? A fictional thing? Oh god, oh god, get it.
Speaker 2: Eric, there's face on that blanket for me to stare at the stars, washing every day under that shoe stoff for the same thing.
Speaker 1: Oh the pain. I get it, I get it.
Speaker 2: Emy. Christian O'Connell show on podcast about the things, the shows that we're enjoying at the moment, Patsy wants a few.
Speaker 5: Mate talking of Hugh Grant, heretic on a prime video. Chris had already seen it and he said, you have got to watch this.
Speaker 1: It's a thriller, brilliant.
Speaker 5: He is amazing in it. It's almost like a Jeckyll hide though. When I was watching it, because he's brilliant. He it's almost like you're watching his character when you see Paddington. Paddington is in, you know, you want to like him. He's likable and he's smiling and you think, oh, yeah, you just like in Paddington. And then there's this other side to him, where is a serial killer?
Speaker 2: And I mean that's real range you know the acts of Felix in Paddington too, But wait, he's also a serial killer.
Speaker 1: Wait? What was Paddington bando about?
Speaker 5: Folix name in Paddington that's my favorite trilogy. But he's so likable on the screen, and I found myself physically smiling watching it.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking, a serial killer.
Speaker 5: I shouldn't be smiling because I know he's about to.
Speaker 2: Do and that fall in love with Syraculus and marry them in President.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's brilliant, it is so so quit's incredible.
Speaker 2: He was talking about you know, I was mentioning the podcast that was in on SmartLess. He's talking about that how he used to get work as a leading man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said. Now he's that.
Speaker 2: Age in the way he looks only is basically psychopathic.
Speaker 4: You can no heretic.
Speaker 5: I highly recommend it. It's brilliant and if you do get the chance, go and see Annie at the Princess Theater in Melbourne. It's so beautiful. It's got like the godfather of Australian theater, Anthony Waldow in it. He plays is he Anny, No, he's Daddy Robbert. They've got a real Grudle in it who is absolutely adorable, and it's got Greg Page, the original Yellow Wiggle and wow, it was so beautiful. I took my fourteen year old and when I didn't tell her he plays the President and as he comes out on stage, I didn't tell Aud's and she was right into the Wiggles. She was part of Emma's army. Your kids, Alex, I'm love sure Wiggles. Yeah, And when he came out, Audrey did like this audible gasp and I thought, oh you maybe fourteen.
Speaker 1: He's still still that kids still there?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And he's just beautiful in it. And it's just there were lots of uhs right throughout and the dog is just so cute. Annie, go and see if you get the chance.
Speaker 4: It's brilliant.
Speaker 1: All right, we're going to take a break.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we come back with Alex and Rio's TV shows and what they're enjoying it on. If there's something that you want to recommend, share it with us now, text me O four seventy five three one oh four three.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast double thumbs up.
Speaker 2: We go around the team on a Friday, we talk about the TV shows that we're into the moment. It might be a movie or TV show that you watched this weekend. Rio, what's the f you?
Speaker 1: Mate?
Speaker 4: I reckon? I found movie of the Year for twenty twenty five Sinners. It was in cinemas. It's only now just made it to streaming. It's on HBO Max, it is in.
Speaker 2: I've seen nothing but outstanding reviews for this, saying it's the masterpiece.
Speaker 4: And I didn't think necessarily, Okay, it's Michael B. Jordan's great who is and hot just like the hottest man.
Speaker 2: I interviewed him and in the flesh and the person with what a beautiful man. If I could pick two men to ride on a horse with it'd be Eric Banner, Eric Banner up front, me and in the middle, and then Michael Jordan anyway too much.
Speaker 1: I should have kept it to my sound. Sorry. It's a good movie, is it. There's not just one Michael b.
Speaker 4: Jordan's, there's two Michael b Jordan's. Whoa he plays twin gangsters in sort of the Prohibition era and they open up an old duke joint that gets invaded by ancient Irish vampires.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, all right, you got me now.
Speaker 1: It is incredible.
Speaker 4: It starts off like a Tarantino sort of spaghetti western, then becomes this.
Speaker 1: It looks heavily steyinized.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's shot on real film. It's used the same the same exact same camera as they're used for Oppenheimer and The Dark Night.
Speaker 1: So it looks beautiful.
Speaker 4: There is a ten minute scene in there that is one of the most stunning, like scorchingly beautiful scenes you'll ever see in.
Speaker 1: So this is that's it. I'm sold. I'm watching it this weekend.
Speaker 4: You got to watch it. You gotta watch it.
Speaker 1: Brilliant and Alex, what have you enjoyed?
Speaker 3: Speaking of Irish rio, I have been right into this series called kin k I n.
Speaker 1: About the kinselling gangsters in k W A gang and Dublin.
Speaker 2: It is unbelieved Dublin, you say, hard to tell by the accent. It's so like come Mumbai, a drunk Scottish.
Speaker 3: Person perhaps listen. It was unbelievable. It changed me as a human being. It is that good. It's like ninety four percent on Rotten Tomas.
Speaker 2: It's got a Charlie what's his name in from Daran Devil, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, It's got Aiden Gillen who was a little Finger in Game of Throne.
Speaker 2: He's a great Irish accent, great Irish act. And there's also the guy who's because I've just started watching it because you were talking about it. It's very good. There's an Irish guy in that with a big beard who plays Joseph Kinsella, who is all Also when the recent Irish Mobland that I've been watching Tom Hardy, so hang on, he's working for two different Irish families when Pearce Brazenin finds them out.
Speaker 1: This so well, is it Francis McGee There might be Francis McGee. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: But I lived in Ireland for about of years. And I kind of know Dublin quite well to the north from the you live with a gangsta dig your TV pretty boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on the rough streets, earning cash, fighting on the cobbles passes.
Speaker 3: Coming back to help me, isn't it? No, it's amazing. So go and see that. It's really really good. It's on SBS on demand. I stupidly paid money to watch it on Apple TV.
Speaker 1: I've done that so many times.
Speaker 2: And then you go, wait the free one SBS one simple emails.
Speaker 1: Or to log in. What they do with that email?
Speaker 2: They do nothing with it because they're wholesome. They won't sell out details. They're just looking after our emails.
Speaker 3: In case you get from so annoying, begon and say it kin And also Round the Twist unbelievable. So Paul Jennings wrote the book, of course, and way back and I think the nineties two thousand they made a TV series on it, and it's wonderful with kids, you can rediscover these shows and Prime Video is running the old Round the Twists and it's just such amazing viewing. And little did we know that it was filmed here in Victoria.
Speaker 1: That's right, the Lighthouse is down the Turkey. You should take the kids there.
Speaker 2: Done absolutely bit of a road trip to drive down there as well.
Speaker 3: And starring Frankie j Holden as well, who I keep running into in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: It's really weird.
Speaker 3: I read it to him in the ten and then I read it.
Speaker 1: To him again. You're kidding Park We locked eyes weirdly. I was like, oh do I say good?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I chickened out and I didn't because I want my kids to meet him and say, hey, here's the dodgy Man.
Speaker 1: Your kids enjoying it. They're all under six, so what do they make of it? They love it because some of those episodes are pretty trippy. There's a really.
Speaker 3: Scary one with this scarecrow and they won't watch that one. Sort of fast forwarded those bits. But like there's there's amazing fantasy and wonder and it's Ozzy as well, which I really.
Speaker 1: Love, and it's got that to know Melbourne as well.
Speaker 3: Definitely, yeah, yeah, yeah, the Victorian film scene, so we're definitely going to.
Speaker 2: Go what a film scene around the twist Ramsey Street? Yeah yeah, you know you start there anyway.
Speaker 1: Ken, that's not Dublin Frankston.
Speaker 2: Those we're going back, But no, go and sit around to us, especially if your kids, you know they they love it.
Speaker 1: I promise no one. I've never had that phrase. Go and see it when it's a TV show. Where are your TV is.
Speaker 2: On?
Speaker 1: The cow shot up, Molly Mildren, don't.
Speaker 2: I And that's not zech ghosts.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast