Speaker 1: Flex and frooms on Kada.
Speaker 2: This is Lexian Frminda and today on the podcast, I am sharing a very special recipe that my housemate made last week. I know that sounds kind of boring, but it's not. Ge it up a little bit, that's what I'm not meant to say that I'm boring or annoying anymore. But it's from a two guys called Fuck. It doesn't matter because it's about the EA. Yeah, it's the YA. I'm friends with them, but I always forget their name.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 2: It's giving. That's one thing I will never admit. Continue. I'm also going to talk about the worst Antarctic exploration ever. It's gnarly and I, like I'm an a K. Holler, can't stop thinking about it.
Speaker 4: One of those stories just got worse and worse and worse in the best way possibly. You think it's gonna get better, No, it never does. It never does. And ending on what feels like a punny way to go about it, the best way to end a conversation. I think I am proficient in doing so, you know, just like dialing it down in a way that makes everybody feel really comfortable.
Speaker 2: It's a gift also because I don't think this is in the podcast. I learned on the weekend Queen's Jubilee that if she wants to end the conversation, she moves her bag from one hand to the other one behind her back. Yes, yeah, yes, in mine, yes, and you are a queen, so let's end it there.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms on Kita.
Speaker 2: Something that everybody on the internet talks about non stop are red flags. Everybody's got raid flags about dating, like maybe he's a mama's boy, Maybe she always expects you to pay for the bill, Maybe he likes girls bikini photos. Maybe she is mean to her parents. I say the fourth one is probably one of the worst. Nothing more uncomfortable than somebody having an absolute, absolute bitch at their parents. Where is the decorum? Literally, you're making me feel awkward anyway. Red flags are very obvious. But something that I learned about on TikTok this week was beige flags. Yeah nice, you say that. You've heard this video. I'm just gonna play with everyone here. It's from a creator called It's Cato. She is an Australian person.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of dating app red flags. Doing the rounds again at the moment, But I wanted to address something that I think is a little bit more prevalent that I have coined beige flags signs you're probably very boring. First up is having an opinion on coriander, whether pineapple belongs on pizza or sauce, or chocolate.
Speaker 2: Belongs in the fridge or cupboard.
Speaker 3: It's it's not important, no one cares. Second is any reference to extremely mainstream sitcoms.
Speaker 2: If you're looking for the pam.
Speaker 3: To your gym, I just I'm just going to assume you have no deeper meaning, like reference the Mighty Boosh.
Speaker 2: You'll get out, you know.
Speaker 3: The next one is using puppies to hide your lack of personality. It's rude and look, I only want a dog.
Speaker 2: I don't even want you in that case, so just jog on using.
Speaker 4: The thing about red flags is no matter who you are, you're going to have a couple. That's just how the cookie crumbles. Beige flags, though, probably just as damaging. Harder to figure out. Yeah, because it's not that people don't have personalities. I do think it's a fundamental issue with the fact that men aren't really like socialized on how to present themselves. Online. They're just not given the handbook. They're not socialized to worry about presenting themselves to anyone or adding context around themselves. Absolutely, Internet, because like beige flags for women are like spicy marks, right, because anytime, and there's a lot of research around this, when women show their personalities context behind their personalities, it seemed to be really abrasive to a lot of men. So like, I can understand why women goes on an app and dials it down right, But men, I don't think there are very many contexts in life where they have to present themselves as anything but just a very particular archetype of whatever demography they're trying to fit into. So like you're a music head, okay, great, you do music head things, or like you like movies and so you name a couple. Christopher Nolan wants I love the American Psycho. They all say I love dark humor.
Speaker 2: Well, I think some men have it really bound. What about the men that like fishing? Yeah, they have endured years and years of scrutiny and being made the butt of the joke. What if you just really loved phishing killing animals? You're being targeted on ads on comedians pages. It's a really hell out there for the men. Yep, personal beij flag is that I have. I definitely relate. I definitely relate to the sitcoms. Don't quote a sitcom to me. If you watch Friends Growing, I'm going to think you're not cool. I agree with her. If you quote Mighty Boosh even that's kind of like I The thing about TV shows that I find is, what is the likelihood of me knowing the exact episode that you're referencing for us have an inside joke. It's very slim. You are like jumping over a massive cliff thinking you're going to find the other side, and you don't. You hate it when you're like, oh, you actually don't know that one dead end conversation over pick it right up. You're making it hard on yourself. So just stick to not talking about TV shows. That's my opinion.
Speaker 4: Do you know what I think is very ironic. I think the average person and not see you.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, I.
Speaker 4: See you getting tense. I think the average person is very critical about dating app profiles and their profiles also suck, Like I don't. I've not seen enough good profiles out there for everyone to be so critical about the red flags, the beag flags, the whatever flags. I think that if everybody took their profiles fifteen percent more seriously, the lance will change for the better. I think a lot of people are stuck between the insecurity about having to work for romance versus the reality them wanting to find love embarrassing to so when they all start mimicking the tomato sauce fridge cupboard thing, the Corey under pizza thing, pineapple pizza thing, that is them saying I'm.
Speaker 2: Just gonna do it.
Speaker 4: Everybody else does, so it's less embarrassing because I'm with the norm, like I'm doing what the populace does, which is not helping anyone.
Speaker 2: That is such a great point, and I completely agree Tea.
Speaker 1: You're listening to flex and Frooms on kit.
Speaker 2: I'm really struggling to breathe. Yeah, you said it was long COVID, though I don't know if it's long COVID or if I'm just like have I'm not fit anymore. It could be that I don't know what you like.
Speaker 4: Panting just in conversation doesn't feel like it a simply I'm unfit thing that feels like respiratory it was giving.
Speaker 2: You know, she's been in bread.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, a lot of our rats upond rats giving me this rat like appearance and general behavior.
Speaker 2: Anyway, No one talk about food, one of my favorite topics. My housemate Izzy is an incredible cook. She loves to cook. She's very domineering in the kitchen. She will admit the fault. She will admit the fault because I think it's a fault. The kitchen is meant to be a fun, happy place, isn't it. I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: I would love for someone just be dominating the kitchen, cook the food, make the food, bring the food.
Speaker 3: Fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually yeah, I like it too.
Speaker 4: Yeah. If it's a collaborative effort, then sure, be nice about it. But every good team has a leader.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Facts.
Speaker 2: Well, last night she made me the most delicious moossaka. Do you know what a moosaka is? I saw it on your story and I still don't know. So basically, it's like a lasagna, but with beef mince and lamb mince and eggplant tamato. Yum. It's so good. You would all loved it. Yeah, no soggy rice, because I've come in and made you food before, I've made you risotto, made you lack ghul ash, dry chicken, Yeah, dried chicken as well, chickney with the Ja sauce. But this one was special. I'll bring it in for you next time. We'll make it again. But it was from a cookbook called yah Ya's Kitchen. So yeah, our next door is this book. It's by two Melbourne guys and basically their whole story came about because a few years ago, and this is a bit of a trigger warning, their mum passed away. She was a victim of family violence. And basically when they were kind of like in the months and years since, the yah Yah they lived next to would pass food over her fence to them and they'd always put on their Instagram. They made an Instagram about it. So then this was a really nice way of like tying up that chapter. And the book is amazing. They sent it to me and it's got all these credible recipes, a lot of them are Greek from the community around them. And yeah, last night he made me the mousaka. And when I say this is the best muzaka I've ever had, I'm not mincing words. Nice it was delicious pun into. So recommend you go buy that book. Support these guys, classic local boys. I love that iconic. Yeah, y'are next door. It's a book, Check it out. I wish that there was like a taste ometer that I could give people my food. Why don't you make one?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: What can a million dollar idea?
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms on Kita.
Speaker 2: This is a spooky, creepy, scary, gory story. I'm scared. You're a spooky binch. Yeh, that's what you call yourself. Basically, I want to tell you a true story that happened at the start of the nineteen hundreds. Yes, so far before. This show was incepted not long before, but a little bit far before. Basically, it is the story of the most terrible polar exploration ever. So basic. This is a real life story that happened to some Australian men that went down and did one of the first explorations of the South Pole. And I love that.
Speaker 4: I tried to look at flags to Antarctica a couple months ago. They're only nine seats.
Speaker 2: Did you do it? It's a bit it's a bit of a just got Greenland, Switzerland or something that's pretty cold. Yeah, So basically I'm just going to read it to you. Sit back and listen to the story. I'm ready. The Far Eastern Party was a sledging component of the nineteen eleven to nineteen fourteen Australasian Antarctic Expedition, which investigated the previously unexplored coastal regions of Antarctica's west. Led by a guy called Douglas Mowson, the party aimed to explore the area far east of their main base, and accompanying him were two other men. Basically they had to ski with dogs along glaciers to try and like territory, really map out these areas that had not been explored before. Whoa big job. Basically what happened was when they were at the start of the journey, Ninnis, who's the last name of one of the guys, and the sledge he was walking with broke through a snow lid of a crevice and were lost. Basically, his little sledge in him fell down a crevice and was lost and they never found him again. But they saw two of the dogs were on one of the little shelves and they were like they had died, so their friend had gone. There was two men left. Next up This is when you're like, yo, okay, tap out. Literally, but I couldn't go back. Why not?
Speaker 4: Because they're too far. They were too far to go back. He see one thing about me, I'm always quiit literally.
Speaker 2: So now their supplies were severely compromised, and Mowson mets the two guys left. They did turn back west, but gradually they ran out of food, so they had to eat the dogs. Yeah, so I eat the dogs. And what happened next was a lesson for anybody here who's thinking about eating dogs or bears or polar bears, and that is to not eat their livers. So these men had to eat these dogs. And obviously they went for the liver because that's like a fatty, yummy part like you've ever had, Like, yeah, duck parp fai liver, I go to Hubert, absolutely delicious. They're eating it because it's like nice and yummy. Turns out it has way too much vitamin A, which makes you sick. So Mertz obviously was a bit greedy, went for the liver and it made him go like paranoid. Lost the plot. He's like running around the tent, smashing the tent, and that night he passed away at two am, like he like, you know, really like sends you. So then mercy scientifical term. So then it was just Mertz left still with me on the story. Yeah, but yeah, man left, he had to go back. He finally got backward. By the time he was back, it was so cold that like his skin was falling off, like like it is crazy down there. Basically he's five to live the tail. Yeah, it turned out that he got so much information that it helped them for years after to make about what cost Yeah, pts not down beer Marta. And this is also the consequence of being the first being the taste maker. Yes, it's like you gotta go through.
Speaker 4: You got to pay that path so nicely that anybody else who comes after you is like, now I know what not to do.
Speaker 2: So that's the story. But how amazing. And then he was knighted. He was given an oam. He couldn't pay me. That was a lot. Thank you for sharing, no worries. But see, it's incredible. Isn't it crazy to think there was a time when we were still exploring parts of the world. Well we're still doing it now. We don't know what's in the ocean yeah, that's not really the world in my opinion. What anyway, I digress, and it.
Speaker 4: Is flex and frooms on Kata as you know. So it is Australia's home of hip hop and R and B, but also just like Chitty Chatties with.
Speaker 2: The girls us being the girls.
Speaker 4: I since the world's opened up a little bit, I hate that phrase. I wish we had another one to whip out.
Speaker 2: But whatever.
Speaker 4: I've been noticing that my perhaps capacity is to socialize has changed a little bit. I think I'm a lot more open to like leaving the house and hanging out with people, and I think that makes it sound like I'm kind of some kind of introvert or like socially anxious person. It's quite the opposite. It's when I get into a space, everyone wants the flex.
Speaker 2: Experience, so I really do.
Speaker 4: I've been in events with you, you know, and it's very tiring and you kind of like, I just want to be not invisible, but just not on duty every time I pull up to the function. But as you said, while it might be irritating for me, I think it's more irritating for the people I'm with who have to kind of deal with me having to having to start and finish a bunch of the these conversations in a way that like is polite and kind or whatever. But one of my best friends, Sally, complimented me the other day on the fact that I do have an uncanny ability to end a conversation nicely without the person knowing that I'm trying to end the conversation. And it's very true though, because you can't. You can't hit them with okay, yeah, nice to you know, we're done. No, you have to wean them off you.
Speaker 2: How do you do it? It is but a skill. So here's the thing.
Speaker 4: I think the most conversations, everybody knows when it's done, but nobody knows how to politely finish and say goodbye. I think what people end up doing is giving too much context as to why they can't be in this conversation anymore, and it sets them up for failure. So you might say like, oh, I need to go find my friend.
Speaker 2: Then you need to.
Speaker 4: They'll be like, oh why, Like what, look is everything okay with her? I was like, oh, yeah, I'm just done here. So I do a few of the following things. The first is when they trail off their sentence, nod, smile, and.
Speaker 2: Say, well, it was so good to catch up with you.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna see you later, but like give me a cuddle, and then you do all the things that associate with a goodbye greeting. But they feel comfortable with that and you feel good to go. That is a perfect one, but you have to be an op you have to be an extrovert to do that one because it needs it's a very not a domineering way, but it's a very like active way to end a conversation.
Speaker 2: Do you realize you're outing yourself?
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm happy people like people don't know Listen, Like if everybody knew that I didn't want to be swarmed all the time, they would end the conversation for me. But I think most people under the umbrella of like, well that's not me, right, like flex has the capacity for me, and like maybe yeah I do, but everybody. If everybody thinks that, then everyone's like, but she has time for this. Anyway, The next best thing to do is the as they're trailing off in conversation, you start a sentence.
Speaker 2: You're like so, and you're like, oh, I gotta go to the bathroom. Do you know what the bathroom is, I got a pee. It just comes over you. Now they're helping get to the bathroom and you just let it. That's a that's a her one. I love that one. That one's one of my favorites. I need to see that. You know what we should do. We should do one of those hidden camera things. That's where we go to an event and we test out all those things, like we go to like a launch like Mary Poppins the other day when we went to that get a secret camera show people, we literally that'd be the best one going to Let's do it. It's a gift.
Speaker 4: That go to the bathroom one is fantastic though, because I think that, like what I used to get caught up in is saying goodbye to someone and not being far enough away from them and.
Speaker 2: They're kind of like, why did you go if you could have stayed.
Speaker 4: And the third one, which is the most important one, is the moment you get to a venue and there's like a lull between something starting some you know, a dinner and not everyone's arrived yet. Just go to the bathroom and sit down on the toilet and enjoy yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do that on Friday night.
Speaker 4: Don't need to start a conversation. Don't need to end a conversation. If you don't start the conversation, it's a gift. Are you going to end in conversations? Yeah, I've seen you interact with people. Okay, I don't know if I've seen it. You're not in like a social setting where like at work, sure, but with a bunch of people you need to say goodbye to you.
Speaker 2: I don't think i've seen it. I'm pretty good. I just say oh, okay, oh my god, obess God bless you bye.
Speaker 4: Yeah, watch next, God bless you by. It's no context less awkward than saying where's the bathroom?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Wow, it's intentional. I'm not lying. I'm not hered. I'm not lying either. I always need to pee, you know, my bladder is tiny, little particular particular. Al Right, Well, we can definitely do that secret camera segment. I'm absolutely blitzed for that. Definitely.
Speaker 1: You're listening to flex and frooms on Kita.
Speaker 4: My body is really sore because I'm trying to move. It turns out all the muscles start atrophying if you don't go for walks. Anyway, I told the Internet that I've been doing pilates for a little while now, and you would expect any kind of declaration of caring for yourself in some capacity would be met with like praise, like.
Speaker 2: Oh, gonnad that to an amazing Let tell me about it.
Speaker 4: I would say thirty five percent of people were like, what's next?
Speaker 2: You're gonna move to BONDI.
Speaker 1: What really?
Speaker 2: I swear down.
Speaker 4: They were like, oh, I hope this doesn't become a page that's not safe for me anymore.
Speaker 2: Baby, what are you sucking about?
Speaker 4: Like, hey, look, we already know people stay delusional on the internet, but this wasn't even like a whole announcement. I was at pilarates, took a photo of my feet and my reformer like it was very casual and in togration, could have been part of a photo dump, you know what I'm saying. And then like the response that came in, it felt like they had done something so intentional.
Speaker 2: Like this is that a health and fitness channel?
Speaker 4: If you're not about cutting calories and being skinny girls like Benny frankled, then don't come here. I could not believe it. I was like, you don't want to see a girly win that's absurd. It's absurd, but it makes I'm not surprised, not surprised at all. I think I'm intimidating now, wait till I can. I was doing what do you call these things? By bicep curls. The other day I go and do six killers either on, Wait till I'm bicep curling fifty killers?
Speaker 1: You know, sick of me?
Speaker 2: Wow, that is so interesting to me. It's so like an amazing progress. If you feel that way, you have a complicated relationship to health and exercise. Yes, because when you see someone do something and it makes you uncomfortable that they're doing it, it means that either you hate doing it, do you? But I think it was just projection to begin with.
Speaker 4: Like, I hope flex doesn't turn into an embodiment of something that makes me feel insecure.
Speaker 2: That's the new problem, baby. Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: If I become an Amazonian, you know, I'm fighting in the woods, I'm doing taekwondo.
Speaker 2: You know I did taekwondo as a child. Let's not get into it. And that makes feel uncomfortable. That is a weird thing for you to share with me. Yeah, to share with you that's weird. See, we keep going back to this. It's a relatability trap of our own doing, not my doing. People want me to be relatable so badly. Let me out of there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not my place, it's not my ministry.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to The Flex and Rooms catch up podcasts. For more, tune Inticata on DAB, or check it out right here on iHeartRadio.