Speaker 1: I'm always always, sir.
Speaker 2: Be careful.
Speaker 3: Love those umboo.
Speaker 1: Let We'll use your head. They will tear you up.
Speaker 2: Lack a purple talk. Oh no, no, no, yeah, yeah yeah yeah, oh no no no.
Speaker 4: Hi. I'm Amanda and I'm Rumby. Welcome to its lay It.
Speaker 2: We're in a long distance friendship that started over twenty years ago when we were in high school.
Speaker 3: We'll be talking about all things life, love, family, anything and everything else under the sun.
Speaker 2: Delve deeper with us because in life, you know my layers. Oh no, no, no, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. Hello everybody, and welcome to a brand new episode of its Layered podcast.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 2: We are very excited. We've got a special guest in the build and we're gonna tell you a little bit more about them. So we've got Hilsey born Hilary Chipunza is one of Zimbabwean's most promising and exciting upcoming contemporary urban musicians who has already built a dedicated following across the globe using his unique voice, poignant lyrics and captivating vulnerability that's for sure. In twenty seventeen, Hilsey had a breakout year when he released Murora, an Impassion and stripped down love ballad that dominated radio and streaming platforms todate. The song is known as one of Zimbabwe's quintessential wedding songs.
Speaker 3: After releasing his commercially acclaimed Sicana EP, which we loved and which we shouted out on this podcast featuring chat topping collaborations with Shasha and Jimmy Griffiths, Hilsey continued to tour and perform within and out of Zimbabwe. After the success of Tisicana. Hilsey has now just released his latest EP, in the Building. Welcome to it Laid Podcast. Hilsey, you're in the building and our is laid podcast Building.
Speaker 2: We're great, Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 4: You have say it's hell in the building.
Speaker 2: If anything el say in the building, that's you know tagline anytime you sung the song. Yeah, we're so stoked to have you as fans of your music and your work, ethic and everything you're currently up to. Anyone who knows the in the building the anthem for us. I think Amanda and I were talking about it earlier before we started recording. Narrow is our anthem for the people.
Speaker 4: Jes listen to it.
Speaker 2: So before we get all into you know the music and all that. We just wanted to say, Hilsey, who is Hilsy? How would you describe yourself or how would those closest to you describe you?
Speaker 1: So Hill was he's an artist during the night, I would say, in a producer, and then during the day, I am an iOS developer. Sorry, I make apps for like iPhones. That's that's what I did, like for school. I'm also into a little bit of farming. I help my parents there out there farm. But yeah, essentially that's me. The closest to me actually call me mister Massin. So if you ever hear anything that says this is a mister Massine production, I actually composed. So yeah, that's that's pretty much who he is. I'm ah, it's kind of busy. If I'm not at the farm, I'm here like recording, or if I'm not here then you know, I'm on my computer making apps. But yeah, that's that's really about me.
Speaker 2: Wow, talk about faceated in all ways, Like, yeah, I studied computer engineering at u ce T, if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we saw the reference to long streets like yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I was I was at uc T and that's when pretty much like the whole hills my career started, I would say, because I was fresh out of high school, I went to send Faith it's a mission screen recabbict uh and most of the time it was just like corel stuff, you know, like choir Stretcher Union. And I always had a dream of, like, you know, I want to buy myself like a microphone. So I pretty much bought like the you know, your modern day podcasters set up like a young my condenser. And then I started just watching YouTube videos. So it's like it's either I'm in lectures or you know, like I'm playing around with the computer. So by the time twenty seventeen, I was actually I actually I was graduating years. So that's when I came up with Mura. And yeah, ever since, like pretty much people you know started recognizing me for like the music kind of thing. But yeah, that's wonderful.
Speaker 4: Shout out to the suspect.
Speaker 2: That's where my mom's from.
Speaker 4: What I do, what I do. How would you describe your own journey to music?
Speaker 3: I mean, you spoke about being in recapent honing, but since when Murroa came out to now, what has that journey been.
Speaker 1: Like, Yo, it's been a roller coaster because what's crazy is what people are seeing now is what I was seeing myself in twenty sixteen. So it's like I've been trying to paint this picture.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like, Yo, I'm this guy. You know, this is what I'm trying to do or where I'm trying to be at. So if anything, it's it has been such a rollercuster because sometimes you feel like, okay, fine, some people get it, but for the most of it, people you know, don't really get or they're not really seeing the vision. So it's it really has had its ups and downs. But I'm just so grateful that, you know, in life, any form of like success comes with like consistency. There's no one who is successful in life who's not consistent. So I'm just grateful I was consistent through and through, you know, and I can't really say I've made much or I've made much here. This is really like the beginning. But a lot of people give up when they don't, you know, get something in return. So I'm just grateful that for me, it was like Jim, you know, you do it like every day. It's like food, Yeah, you eat food every day, So I'm just at the consistency pretty much, you know, helped me. But you know, I cannot, I honestly can not like describe all the feelings like in one way or I can just say it's in a road and coster, you know. Yeah, but yeah, yeah, and I'm truly grateful for the journey.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, that's really really dope, And I think it seems to be a thing that I keep hearing more and most like, if you want to do something, you've got to be consistent.
Speaker 4: Even when people don't.
Speaker 2: See the vision or where you're headed. How was it like in terms of your family and friends, were they supported from jump or how did that dynamic work out for you in wanting to do music?
Speaker 1: So from a friend's perspective, I think my friends already knew that. Like I was a music head, used to know like all the latest songs that were out, you know, like and then when I slowly recorded my first first song, I think it was like FOLM full back, you know, like after writing exams, everyone wants to do something, and I was like, I'm going to record my best single. So people pretty much were like, now we're rooting for you. But at a whole. Obviously, it was something that's so foreign because like my dad is a doctor with a provasion, and he was just like, not the books.
Speaker 4: My bands.
Speaker 1: And I beg in the day. In the day, like he used to say, I could buy you any kind of textbook, no matter how expensive it is, as opposed to buy and you like, say like a PlayStation. You know, That's that's how hard he was like with education. So to me, it was like, okay, fine, I'll do this. I'll do the education side of things, and then later on I'll get to do what I you know, what I want. So after a levels, that's when I was like, I even he wanted me to go and study medicine and use it. But at the back of my head, I was like, nah, if I stay close to him, I feel like I'm not going to expand you know in terms of like music or just be myself and find myself. So that's how I thought, to, you know, go study computer science Cape Town. And that's when I, you know, essentially like built everything up so here and there they would hear. People would be.
Speaker 6: Like I want to ask, and I just brushed it off, just brushed it over. I'm like my dad will be like what it is and I'm like a oldes you know, you're just so it was really hard until I think I released a mine.
Speaker 1: So when I released her, my came back to ZIM for a holiday and then a lot of like you're like you sounding so sweet or whatever, and then my mom hadn't actually listened to the song, and she listened to it. She cried. She literally cried, and I was just like, Okay, maybe you might be onto something. So my mom was lokly tolerating at that point. And then I'll say after and now mura, I actually I have my dad in the music video. My mom as well, so they knew I was doing it like low key. But one day I just ended up picking up the core and I'm like, yo, I'm doing this music video and can you please come there with the farm. They're like okay, to do giars thin and I'm like yes, it's just it's just come through. So I think that's when, And that was twentish seventeen when they also knew I was graduating, So I think that's when I got like the official stem from my from my parents, but everyone else was upproving. But ever since then when I also got that low key parents or blessing. You know, that's when the music also really started, like you know, doing around and so now now and then I'm being like earrands with my mom. People are just like hey, I'm chatting, you know, like every day. She's also like, yeah, I greet them back, you know.
Speaker 3: Shout out to your parents real.
Speaker 2: For sure. We've spoken about this in other episodes, right, Amanda, about parents and like how it's I think it's really hard for especially African parents to grasp that we have dreams different to what they thought should be our dreams. You know, it's it's changed. Yeah, you know, I would.
Speaker 1: I saw this on Twitter one day where like, you know, girls are just sharing the experiences, say when they got pregnant versus like let's say they were not married, and then to a point where now like then versus now, and then it's like the parents are so inseparable with their grandchildren. They were so you know. But so I feel like it was the same with my journey because now when I'm out and I'm with my dad, he is like, okay, I'm doctor Shipunza and then all of a sudden goes rooms here but at first, but at first amount of friction that was there, you know, So I to add on to that, it's a hundred percent. I think our parents have like the best for us, and sometimes the best for us is and what they really envision the vision.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so you've just pretty much answered what I was gonna ask you next.
Speaker 4: What has it taken for you to make it this far?
Speaker 3: And you know, it sounds like with parents obviously there was that journey as you just described, But what do you think personally you've had to sacrifice to make it this fansim Babblian music scene.
Speaker 1: I think I've sacrificed a lot of time. I don't really I'm not really outgoing. So the music is out there, but it's for me. It's either like I'm in the studio or you know, I'm working on something else or even like so, I think another thing that attributes to my life being busy is I'm an only child. So you can imagine being an only child and your parents, don't you They're scared you might you know, not make it in school or like in the music scene as well. So the pressure has always been like at the back of my head and also like just showing a culture. You know, people are just like being persantly like nah, you're the only one you need to fight, you know, that kind of thing. So I think I've really sacrificed like a lot of time, like in the like in the music, like you're saying when you say like quality. So I think what differs, what differentiates me from other artists is I think a lot of people have like say seven people working on their music, Like they go and recorded someone studio and then someone mixes it and masters it. For me, it's like everything like beats I record, you know, I pretty much do everything in house, which has helped me as well because it's like it has maintained the vibes and the ethic as well. But I'm also getting to a point where I also want people who share the same vision, who are also as hardworking as I am, you know, pretty much like help me out with the work. So I do have like a few friends like a beatsmith we were also together, ucity, but you also make some of my beats and you master some of my stuff. I also trust him, So I would say I think the journey is really just you know, I've sacrificed so much time, even sometimes when friends are like yo, he was in Google you know December from Disember.
Speaker 4: No, you know, you know, like.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think that's for me. That's like the biggest sacrifice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know what, it's so commendable, Hillsy. You are honing your craft. Yes, you are knowing your music through and through and you can't you know, people say it takes what ten thousand hours? What is it to because you are literally putting that work and that time.
Speaker 4: In and it shows.
Speaker 3: It's evident, you know, So don't knock yourself, can descend, can wait?
Speaker 4: You know, and you can hear it.
Speaker 2: And we were talking about how we can listen to your music top to bottom, like we listen body of works are a body of work that you can just listen to, and not even the biggest artists out there are like, not many are able to pull that off, Charanty, you know. And also it definitely definitely shows. And you've also collaborated with some heavy weights, you know, Shasha Gemma, friend of the podcast and recently been featured on BBC Africa. Firstly, I would like to know who are your musical inspirations and then what is your dream collaboration if you were able to.
Speaker 1: To say okay, so by So, I listened to a lot of Chris Brown. I listened to hip hop. Let's just say hip hop. So two thousand and eight hours in form damn. That's that's a long time ago. I was in porn four yearn for and the crazy was just you know, Chris Brown and a Beyonce you know, Rick Cross. That that year of music for me. I think I still think that that's like the epic sound, you know, like I feel like all these other like songs that are coming out now are just really rooting from that year. So a lot of Chris Brown, a lot of Drake low Wayne sometimes when it comes to just like writing, you know, like saying you know, smart things. But mostly right now because Drake and Chris Brown are still releasing, I listen to them. Then, Like in Africa, I listened to Blackie, I listened to Nasty See, and then locally I listened to like underground artists. I listened to Young mccannie. I listened to another kid called Simdom. But if you literally just listen to the whole catalog, yeah, that's pretty much where I get, Like my sound in my inspiration from. But back in the day when I was growing up, my mom used to listen to a lot of Two Group and a lot of Ciboma Cabani. So there's also like a lot of gospel that's that is bagged, you know, like my music as well. So it's a bunch. But now I'd say for me, it's Drake and Chris Brown, and the goal honestly is to, yeah, I just have a song with Chris Brown. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Chris be loving as Africa's I will say, we can manefest that for you.
Speaker 4: It's gonna ask manifest for sure, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I also when I when I've been recording or like composing, my aim has always been to like I remember as far as like I was in high scrub, like how do I make my song or my voice sound you know, like this urban song it wasn't really about you know, I'm a rapper and I'm gonna make it beyond that. It was like the quality you guys are speaking of, Like I'm so I would rather sing crap and having like thequality I want someone to like say, playing American song and then if they press next it needs to be seamless with you know, like with my song Heal this song. So that's what I've been pushing for, like you know, beyond like just the message. So yeah, those guys or say just La inspires me a lot, like in terms of like music, because I just think that's that's like the end again. So yeah, hopefully I'll beat there. I mean, right now I'm speaking to Chris Brown's producer. He's actually been sending me beats, so we're working, but it's almost like I'm just one person away, and I just hope like to be like, hey, I see you. But yeah, it's only a matter of time and and I honestly just trust the process. I'm just going to keep doing me because that's what I've been doing, you know.
Speaker 3: So yeah, the key I think that is seriously the key. Do you do you enjoy touring, playing at live shows, meeting your fans. I know you said you like to keep yourself, but I'm sure when it comes to your music you do enjoy out there.
Speaker 1: I'm being like, I'm such I'm such an introvert, right, And what's wild is when you meet someone you don't you don't know where the you specifically is coming from which song and what message do they like, what do they perceive you as like in that moment in time. So it's a bunch of reactions from a bunch of people, all at the same time. So sometimes I get I hell, get overwholm because I'm also that kind of a person who if I get to a place, I want to speak to everyone. If someone says quite neany quite mean, I want to be there. But you're like, man, I honestly can't be there for you know, all of you guys. So yeah, but the moments that I cherish the most are so sometimes like I said, I'm into farming. I help my parents, so sometimes don't want to know my industry. You know, two more in Downtown getting like my parts and then you were like, you know, like one of the ones. I love those because like we can have a full orverisation without people disturbing or when it shows it's a different thing all together. I do love the you know, the tension or at least like the feedback. You know, people are happy because you're seeing you're doing something, So yeah, I love that. But yeah, and then yeah, I just need to do what I do on stage leander, but once once I get on stage as well, you know, when you just have something kicking, it's like diving into water. At first, you know, could dive and then all of a sudden, once you dive, you're in there. So that's what always happens. I'm so nervous before I get on stage. I'm like, any go over, you know, like the nerve pone just goes, or if people just start wearing bottles, you.
Speaker 4: Know, but nerves and nerves are good. People say nerves are good.
Speaker 3: Nerves show you care, so it's it's it's good. It's a good thing, and buse you hone them and still, you know, do your show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, it's And I think one thing also that I forgot to mention was so most of these things, or the music, I was in Cape Town because I have more of an online presence than a public you know, presence. So when I got back to ZIM, it was also like so different because in Cape Town, I was just like a normal you know, developer, wake up, do it. But you know it's so different. You know, I can't do that anymore. And I so it's I I've definitely adjusted, but I'm not yet there you know where I can be like, ah, this is me, you know, because all the time it's it's going to be someone And I love it because people share their personal stories. So some of them like you use I'm a fan actually so yeah as a proposer or so yeah, you know, it's it's those old gems that then help me and be like ah, if I get back in the studio, I'm like, I know who I'm doing this for. Beyond me, it's someone also the people that I inspire in like different ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a perfect segue because then I wanted to ask you what you want those who listen to your music to ganer most from listening to your music? So what do you want people to receive from it? Seems like you're making your music, you know your audience, you know who you're making it for. What do you want them to take away when they listen to your music?
Speaker 1: But that's that's that's a deeper question to.
Speaker 2: Be Yeah, we dont deeper.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah there.
Speaker 1: Well, So for me, I just want people to know that there's a real and authentic music or like authentic connections. You can genuinely connect with people through music because there are people who like, let's say, so Jakari. So, I don't know if you guys know about Jakari, but Jakari is like g Isy's producer is actually yes, so he's the one I did with. He moved on from La. He's not staying in younger but he yeah, literally is like you. I want to work with you. And I learned so much from him. And one of the things, at least what he said to me is like your music has so you know, like it is so as in you. You listen to a song and like and you want to be like, ha, who's this person? Or you want to know more about that person. It's like when you're drinking something that's delicious, mombertarities about yeah yeah yeah, right as opposed you. And there's some people there's something there's some songs or some artists who like you listen to it, but it's just at the top of your mind is what I just know, like is and that's it. So I think for me, it's it's it's that's so that's under the music that I just want people to know that genuinely you can make connections with music. There's people who I meet in the like tombajin Drew Father and they're like mister my saying, and they start telling me where I stay, you know, like all these things like they know me. It's like even when we chill, it's like this person genuinely gets me. So it's like I feel like I'm just another soul that just represents a million more out there and how they also feel. And yeah, like connections within music also genuinely, like you know, exist, So for me, I think that's what is also like keeping the music, you know, going, because people hear the soul. It's it's not about if the if the beat is a banger or you know, if there's bars or not. More than anything is just like the soul. It's soul for music, and you know, you can listen to it and you can just really feel online or you can start thinking about stuff. You can start thinking about your life. Music that actually makes you sit down and you know, like being another place. So I think that's what I want people to feel when they when they listen to my to my music at the end of the day, that's dope.
Speaker 2: And the vulnerability also shines through, the authenticity shines through. I absolutely get what you're saying about some music you listen surface level, like you just yeah yeah, but like when you get And it's funny because my sister is a huge Chris Brown fan, and she's like, there's something about Chris Brown when he just like sings and and I get.
Speaker 4: I get that.
Speaker 2: It's like even though yes, he does so much music, but he still has the heart and soul for it. So yeah, which is what I feel about Drake, Old Drake. Okay, I'm old. Let me not give away my age.
Speaker 4: I feel that way about you know, Old.
Speaker 2: Drake, Thank me later, Drake all that, Like I get that from him.
Speaker 3: You know, you've talked a lot about the work you've put in into your own music, the journey you've told us.
Speaker 4: What advice would you give.
Speaker 3: To someone who's aspiring to do music within Zimbabwe?
Speaker 1: I would say, so your goals first. I think that's number one. It's key because you don't want to be like a plastic pig. Paper is so a drill.
Speaker 4: You can you please take a moment to appreciate that back? You know what?
Speaker 1: I but do you do you do you understand what I'm saying?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: Like I think as an artist you need to like to find or find your sound to be like this is even if I don't know, if I jump on this other song, people can tell me this is, this is elsy. So I think it's like find your sound, you know, set your goals even if R N B S Wood, even if you know, just hold your skill, like be good at one thing at least like one specific genere tot. You know, people should get to a point where they know if he was he was on this, you would kill it. You know, those kind of vibes like cement you I don't know your work and if anything, you just you just keep working. For me and Ninny, I've avoided a lot of controversies. I've avoided a lot of things by just staying in the studio and just working. And so for me, I think the work ethic comes first as opposed to like these days, I feel like social media Instagram people also want to like work on an image at the same time they want to work like on the sound, and then they want to provoke someone so that like all eyes on them, And I feel like that's that's not music. When you're doing that, that's that's that's showbiz. To be honest, like if you're if you really want to be like master craft, like just getting the studio work and you you will get better. It's like it's like running. If you're going to run around, you would first day you're going to do fifteen minutes. Second day, maybe forty six weeks later you'll be doing like nine minutes. Did you understand? So I feel like a lot of people don't put the work in. They don't actually put the work ethic to be like I'm working. I'm working regardless of if this is going to be posted on ZIM celebs or not, or piece or not. I feel like it's just it's exercise and you do get better. You get feedback from that. So keep working. Set your goals and yeah, I just don't be moved man Like, set your goals and you know, stick at it and once once to achieve your goal, you go into the gyp to the next.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that on your BBC Africa interview about how you Know. I think there was a question around are you going to go into afrobeads or like that genre? And I distinctly remember you saying that while I may feature on a song for afrobeats or you know, I don't see myself going to say I'm going to pursue that genre. And I thought that struck me quite a bit because I was like, Okay, this is someone who knows what he wants and knows what.
Speaker 4: He his music as well.
Speaker 1: What you're laying is what.
Speaker 2: You're good at and he's And people don't like that, right, Like some people are like, oh no, you need to be able to just and it's like.
Speaker 4: No jump on the trends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you obviously do it for the music, and you obviously know what you're.
Speaker 4: Doing for me.
Speaker 1: So the reason why I say that, so, for instance, an example is with Chargy. The reason why I did Chargey was I'd actually listened to that Oaccelate song Oxceolate the Infinity Infinity right, and I was like, Yo, this is so nice. I want to make something like that. And I literally I made that, but obviously I was like, I want to make my own, you know different, my aphro beat version. However, with Chargy being successful, I can't then call myself the afro beat king. Do you understand, Like it's one song, I did it nice. It's like you're a soccer star, You're LEO. See if you can defends walked defend. It's like you you you have to have your liking. So that's why I was like, in as much as I can make the craft, I can work on it, and you know, I just don't have a deeper connection to it, you know. And and I would know. My ways is to like making a whole aprobat album as a verse that he's you know, do me a verse. I did a song for a deal love story that was very afrobaty, and it worked out because I just gave him the verse. But if you give me like a hip hop song and R and B song, I can tell you from start to finish how to layer it, you know, and and how so and and I'll know even if I like and if someone R and B they're in the US, they can resonate to this. They can see who to this person is actually full of structure. Oh wow, But we to bridge. So that's that's that's that's pretty much what I was saying, like one hundred percent, I could could make a pop song. I would make a so song, but only as a feature.
Speaker 3: Because so yeah, it's great that you say that, because even like GRIMBYA and I were saying with premiere with Gemma. We've never heard Gemma sound like that when she was on your like no, and you've just proven by saying this, and you you led that song for he shed the way she sang it, So you've just literally proven exactly what you're saying. You're not just saying these words and it's empty because we're just saying, oh my gosh, Jemma sounds so different, but it fits in with.
Speaker 4: What you're doing.
Speaker 3: So I love that you're able to produce and bring that out of her as well.
Speaker 4: Just speaks to your talent, It really does.
Speaker 2: Even Shasha, I think we hadn't heard her current album hadn't come out yet, and good Bye it.
Speaker 4: Was still Shasha still the voice.
Speaker 2: But I was like, okay, and now we got a lot more of the R and V R and B vibes from her in her latest project, I'm.
Speaker 4: Alive, Like do you understand?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 2: And I could lay lay but now currently repeats blank, I love blink, How you did like.
Speaker 4: That? That beats that progression? How you know that?
Speaker 2: And it's very yeah, like your music often leaves you wanting more, like I could listen to this again.
Speaker 4: I want to hear more. So yeah, and it's funny.
Speaker 3: It's funny you mentioned charging because I'm an afrobeat head, so Charge has.
Speaker 4: Been on repeat for me.
Speaker 3: But I am I see that, So you see all to say, you know, all the work you put in, all the intent you put behind your music shows, and the quality is unprecedented, and keep going like seriously obviously getting what you're trying to put our getting it.
Speaker 1: But you know, like such such an unpopular opinion. So I think I'm more of a producer more than I like an artist. So all these things just you're telling me the sonics and everything I pretty much arranged that, you know, as opposed to okay, fine, like yes you know you by right lyrics, you know, but I think most of the work that I'm even obsessed with. And this also comes to like I think I want to sign people now. I want to start, like you know, bringing other artists. But for me, my my biggest worry or concern was in as much as I have all this knowledge, I haven't really implemented it. So he'lls has pretty much like you know, implemented what I would want to envision. Even if I want to sign someone, I can easily then say yo, you know, I know these guys and I room have a podcast. I know dj A do from BBC. It's like, you don't just want to be signed and you're seated there, You're also expecting something, you know, that kind of a thing. So I feel like beyond that, the sonics are definitely helping me build this thing that I can then eventually, like you know, get to share with other artists and even when I record with them, I show them how I do it eventually so that you know they can also become someone. So yeah, I'm grateful that you guys are telling me all these things, are giving me this feedback because it's like, wow, it's really coming together.
Speaker 2: No, we see it, and as you don't, like we net my bars Long Street.
Speaker 4: I just need right.
Speaker 3: But you know, it's kind of funny you're coming to this conclusion that maybe you are more producer because all the things you talked about, like touring and sometimes being on stage. So maybe it's like now you know the whole craft, and now you're deciding I want to you know, appreciate the music and take a step back, and like that's not bad.
Speaker 4: Is that? Because now you know the whole story.
Speaker 3: So even when you're patting wisdom and people you sign up, you know there will no you know what's talking about You're not just yes.
Speaker 2: But that's what I'm he did, no, the whole premise, like he comes from once in a blue.
Speaker 3: Moon and.
Speaker 4: That was his whole Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I just wanted to say, So that's what. So, mister Maceine, what my scene actually means is massive in house, so it's short for that, so it's mass for massive and then the I n H is in house, so my scene so eventually, yeah, I just want to be mister Marcene putting on carriers, you know, like irmb artists, hip hop artists based off of like what I've obviously done best off my marriage. So that's definitely the goal. I don't intend, you know, like to make music the whole time. Again, the writing is amazing. I definitely say I love how I write, but I want to do it for a bigger start, you know, like I really hope that you know someone else from ZIM you know, who can carry on the torch, but in I want to be input on just you know, like writing for them and then you know they become a bigger artist. Because I've also learned that with the music industry, you build with each other and on top of each other, you need someone like with Narrow. I didn't make the beat for Narrow, neither did I know I was going to make it. But someone just send me the beat I listened to. I was like, oh my god. And it also like unlocked my you know, my writing ability. I was like, wow, I had so much fun with it. And that's how it should be as well. It's like, if I get onto this podcast, I should inspire you guys, or at least you should then have a different outlook, you know, with regards for like artists or musicians, and you know, it builds on top of that. At the end of the day, we are all inspired by you know someone, and I just want to do that that inspirational guy, you know, and beyond that, I think, now it's just the proof of work. I'm just building the proof of it. And then if you hear now do you usually assigned someone, you can also be like I would listen to that, to that exactly, I know, I know how this guy works, so yeah, vision and vision I will.
Speaker 2: Get that's job. No, hellsy, I mean this, this has been so much fun. Like talking to you. It's always great when you to someone and they match or exceed your your not expectations, but like what you thought they were and then they you know, exceed or super see that like you're just like okay, yeah, it's tracks like tracks. Why you know I like the music or you know I enjoy or connect with it, So it absolutely makes sense. Our final question, I guess would be any upcoming projects that you would like to share with us as well as your social media.
Speaker 4: If people don't, don't you know, so please let us know.
Speaker 1: I think I'm gonna work on an EP. Another on the aim for In the Building was again you heard on the BBC interview just to get on the Africa and Rollster. So just from the EP, I definitely have gotten like you know, proper shoutouts aka show my Jersey, Gigy, you know, the Chris Brown producer. Like, there's people who are definitely you know, they want to work. So for me, it was a question of should I do a deluxe of like in the Building with the with the narrow remix in there, or do I completely just study a new body of work. So right now it's I think I'm just gonna start a new body of work because I've already I already have songs that I loaded and impact beyond the sound. So I found my sound first. Now I've found my strategy as well, So I'm just going to be implementing that. You know, the numbers are amazing in the building and I want to double that now hopefully with more like international collaborations as well. And then with regards to my socials, uh yeah, it's he'll z h I double l z y nine one one. The nine one one is completely a random thing. People always ask.
Speaker 3: Me like.
Speaker 2: Emergency emergency, isn't it funny when we started out socials, you probably didn't even think.
Speaker 4: Then I'm like, I can't go back someone.
Speaker 1: The So so it's like my Twitter. I got onto Twitter heels he was already taken and I put it nine one one there and then yeah, Instagram came up. You know Youtubengo result I think are consistent robo so it's nine eleven on all platforms.
Speaker 3: You know, now you need to release an epos. I think that's just nine to one one.
Speaker 1: So together, you know what is actually supposed to recall eleven past nine? It needs to be nice. I was thinking of that, but who knows, you know, like I will see how I work with it. But one hundred percent, and a lot of people already call me ninet eleven like they're like nine eleven, we say nine one one, We say so like.
Speaker 3: Our people time the nicknames quick with it. This has been absolutely amazing for us. You know, we also love how seamlessly you you sing with our language as well, with Shana and English intertwined, because that is how rempublicans are and I think when you sing like that as well, it just resonates so much with us because that's how we speak, that's how we interact. And we are big fans and cannot wait to see all the things that are coming your way, all the manifestations, everything you talked about.
Speaker 4: We wish you all the best.
Speaker 3: We are absolutely stoked that she came onto our podcast and yeah, anything else, no, you've.
Speaker 4: Said it all.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you so much, Hilsey. If you haven't listened to his music, please check it out. It's on Spotify or wherever you guys listen to your music. Yeah, it's everywhere. It's it's well worth it, well worth it.
Speaker 4: Mumbo terra bas mumbo.
Speaker 2: You know, but you also thinks a lot of ballads too, Lady e B crooning, yes, yeah, no, Thank you so much, and thank you, of course, as always for listening to another episode of our podcast, It's Layered. If you have questions, hit us up. It's Layered Pod at gmail dot com. We're on Instagram, it's layered Twitter. It's Layered Pod. You know, you know, you know, and thank you so much. We'll see you on the next episode. Good Bye, no no no, yeah, yeah yeah yeah