Speaker 1: Christian Connell The Christian o'connalds Show podcast, Take an evening.
Speaker 2: Thanks are tuning in.
Speaker 1: This is the Christian O'Connell Show, and we're just about to do nineteen ninety five until about nineteen ninety five. That's tonight's and this week's Wonder Year. Well, once a week we go back to one year, look at what really happened in that year and what happened to you in that year, and it's nineteen ninety five. Took about the posters we all used to have on our teenage bedroom walls. What did you have up there, James and Frankston?
Speaker 2: It used to have cars. Yeah, for a lot of guys.
Speaker 1: It was just like the Magnum car Ferraris testers just cars, cars, guns n' roses and pam Na Anderson. You can age these, can't you. That's nineties, yea Christian. My first ever poster was the young Leonardo DiCaprio is Jack in Titanic. I had like a hundred posters in total load of my bedroom wall and on the ceilings as well. James Hunt. James Hunt was a very charismatic Formula One driver in the seventies. It was a movie where Chris Hemsworth played him. We came out a couple of years ago movie.
Speaker 2: Actually Rush about his life. Hemsworth has brilliant in it.
Speaker 1: James Hunt started a trend of long haired men on posters on my wall, which my dad for some reason got very annoyed by men with long hair on the wall. Just kept looking at them, pointing and going he get his air cut.
Speaker 2: Good old short back inside to sort out that. Simon Lemon.
Speaker 1: Christian I had just about every boy band, brass, new Kids on the Block, Robbie Williams, we just played also Moulder and Scully.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but a lot of people about the X Files ones on there. Christian.
Speaker 1: I used who had a big wham one? And I used to kiss George Michael good night before going to bed, and you originally got nothing from me.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go to the let's go to the lines. Colleen Christian loved the show.
Speaker 3: I had many posters of John Farnham. All of my posters had to be on the back of the doors. We didn't have blue tech. It was the old sticky tape. Oh yeah, so it became a closer to post a girl. I still have still have John finnim I'm sixty years of age. I have him on the inside of our study door. He's in black Speedos with the V.
Speaker 1: With with.
Speaker 2: Was it really the veal? Was it that little kind of birder belly and then.
Speaker 3: A little bit of a V that we can pretend. But he had the white T shirt on with the kend in Australiana signed because it was when they were doing that, you know, Australia.
Speaker 2: Can you do as a favor, can you take a picture of that?
Speaker 1: I need to see that picture of him and Speedos funs in Speedos amazing, Sinan.
Speaker 2: Who was on your bedroom wall A Bruce las Yes, me too?
Speaker 1: Enter the dragon or fist a few You know that one with the nunchucks under is right? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: The first one was the way of the Dragon when you had the nunchucks under the arm and.
Speaker 2: Then that scratch, that scratch across his chest. Belinda? How are you all good? Blinda? And I hope you're well. Who did you have on your bedgel wall?
Speaker 5: When I was thirteen, I had a shrine to hands me. It was oh yes, it was all walls, all feelings. You could not see anything except for their faces.
Speaker 1: Just their faces. Now it's like a serial killer's lair with their eyes all cut out. No, not that bad, all right, but a shrine all the This a handsome shrine.
Speaker 5: Then then I finally developed some music taste and sixteen year old me turned the shrine to slipnot.
Speaker 2: Wow gear change. But this is what it is.
Speaker 1: Been a teenager, isn't it? One minute you're into that, then the look changes everything. You go from handsOn to slipknot love it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, give me nightmares?
Speaker 4: Going to sleep with the mask?
Speaker 2: What slipknot want?
Speaker 5: No? I slept fine?
Speaker 2: Oh that's incredible. Hello.
Speaker 5: Remind Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: This week's wonder year is nineteen ninety five. This is going straight to the pool.
Speaker 5: Are you telling me.
Speaker 3: That you built a time machine?
Speaker 1: Hand of a door warrior? I tell you what any boss who sets anyone but not turning up the die of about it looked as if tax.
Speaker 2: And bears teeth. Oh won.
Speaker 1: We go back to nineteen ninety five the mid nineties. Nineteen ninety five, Paul Keating was the Prime minister. Average movie ticket price here in Australia was four dollars scorne up that a little bit, But that's actually that we don't even have movies at the Cimmer now.
Speaker 2: We can't go pod dollars, kha key, baggy jeans and moon rings were the height of fashion.
Speaker 1: And Brad Pitt was named the sexiest man alive. Beanie babies and POGs were all the rage.
Speaker 4: Hogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, remember those POGs? Do you reckon?
Speaker 1: There must be just thousands of land filled sites all over the world with POGs and beanie babies.
Speaker 2: Sadly just discarded in them.
Speaker 1: Ere Seinfield and Friends are all the most popular American imports shows all over the world.
Speaker 2: eBay launched.
Speaker 1: eBay launched in nineteen ninety five, and Amazon sold its first book.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: One of the biggest movies of nineteen ninety five was talking about Toy Story.
Speaker 2: This movie just know what all person for you. I love the Toy Story movie.
Speaker 1: Although we're all up to speed with them now, there have been so many great moments in them. They just did that really good thing of their were heartfelt and funny. They actually when the first one came along in nineteen ninety five, it was actually a really truly game changing movie. Wasn't the way it was just not The animation was incredible. We've not seen animation that lifelike and that good that made these little figurines, cartoon characters essentially very very three dimensional and human.
Speaker 2: And no one better, no one better.
Speaker 1: Than Tom Hanks as well in that it was supposed to be Billy Crystal was supposed to be the voice they wanted.
Speaker 2: He passed.
Speaker 1: I remember seeing an interview with him on David Letterman and he says the only regret he's got in his life. He was the guy that said, I can't see that working. Another great movie out this year. Mel Gibson in This Braveheart for one chance, just.
Speaker 2: One chance, gone back here and tell our animal. Then they may take our life, but they'll never take.
Speaker 1: Great got five Oscars Best Picture, one for mad Mell, as well for Best Director. Amazing movie. If you're ever interested in the history, uh the true story of what the Brits and I speakers on what they did to William Wallace, the Scottish rebel. What they actually did to him was so so bad. When mel Gibson found out, was like, we're not having any of that in the movie. Also, this TV showed you remember Gladiators. We had this the same year as well. Launched in the UK from America Huge on a Saturday night. Was it Saturday Night TV here?
Speaker 4: Yeah? It was a pointment viewing for us in our family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you have the pugil sticks and the travelator and hang tough and all of that.
Speaker 2: Jack, you probably remember this. She a little bit younger than Patsy and I Cheese TV.
Speaker 4: Jack.
Speaker 1: July seventeenth, Channel ten launched Cheese TV streading kids cartoon show that and Weekday Morning is at seven am by hosted by Rye Uping and Jade Gap.
Speaker 2: You must have watched this.
Speaker 4: Without fail every morning. Actually, remember entering a competition where you had to draw a Rye Beiner berry for the Rye beIN a drink And it was the first time my parents had to explain to me just because I entered the competition didn't mean no one, because as soon as we put it in the mail, I was dancing around the living room waiting for my Rye been a pact.
Speaker 1: We still have to explain that to a lot of listeners that until we pay you, you might have entered, you ever won it?
Speaker 2: So that show, did that knock off Agro before that? Different channels? Ah right, okay?
Speaker 1: And then in nineteen ninety five Windows ninety five him of the size of the monks that were coming was just huge.
Speaker 2: It was like that four Encyclopedia Britannicas just to get all that futuristic knowledge.
Speaker 1: It was called the Information super Highway then as well, do you ever that the Information super Way the world Wide Web? When we come back, then I'll ask Jack and Bats and I'll tell you what nineteen ninety five was for me as well. If you've got any memories about nineteen ninety five and what it was for you. Jackie Boy entering Cheese TV, what did you win?
Speaker 2: What was the prize?
Speaker 4: Just some ryebina a Riebena pack. I think it was a plush toy of a Riebena berry and.
Speaker 1: Only wish sometimes we were working in radio then, because you didn't have to try that art. Did you make in a show?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 1: Actually we did our big thing happening for the next ten weeks Ribena for Life.
Speaker 3: Christian Christian i'connell The Christian
Speaker 2: O'Connell Show podcast