Speaker 1: Welcome to them, Christian no Common Show podcast, say hello to our special guest who's come in today. He's not plugging anything. He just responded to an invitation a couple of weeks ago when I was saying how much I love Paul Kelly and how to Make Gravy and he's going to be singing for us. But first of all, Paul Kelly, thank you very much for coming in on the show today.
Speaker 2: My pleasure. Christian's good to be here, so Paul.
Speaker 1: For many years before I moved here to Australia on the twenty first December, I used to love playing How to Make Gravy and not many people knew about the song, but I would always get a very big reaction in the UK. Want to know who this song was by? Because it's a beautiful and a rare, contemporary, good new Christmas song. I'm dying to know was a song not that hard to write because there's been so many Christmas songs? How do you come up with an original angle?
Speaker 2: I guess the thinking about it for a little while that was probably more the hard part. I remember thinking, oh, hell the hell am I going to write a Christmas song? This? There's how many out there, and I thought, what's the best way to write about the feeling of Christmas? And my next thought was, well, maybe the best way to write about the feeling of Christmas is to write from the point of view of someone who can't be there for Christmas. And as soon as I had that thought, I thought, you know that, the next one was, well, why can't they be there? And I thought, ah, they're in prison. Once that was that was like the key, and then the rest of the song sort of wrote itself from there. I realized. I realized afterwards, you know, that was sort of the most popular Christmas song of all time. White Christmas is the same thing.
Speaker 1: It's a yearning and long and isn't it. It's that ache of the heart that feels not just the people that are there, but also feels equally the absence of those that aren't there, and it's so powerful.
Speaker 2: I didn't think it would be a widely popular song because I thought, well, it doesn't have a chorus, it's set in prison. You know, nothing repeats, So I just sort of I thought, I thought, this is I like this song, but I didn't think it'd be like massively popular.
Speaker 1: It's also very uniquely Australian Christmas song because queens ain't gets mentioned in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also being hot on Christmas Day. So a lot of this song is about the phrasing more than the rhyming. I think it's more I listened to a lot of hip hop.
Speaker 1: I'd like to see a collaboration with you and M and M in the next couple of years, next Grand Final playing that a unique collaboration, very unique comedy of p K and eminem live at the sp That could be the next album.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what did that understand? That's that's That's an incredible though.
Speaker 1: How much do you know about the movie? Then? I'm reading a couple of weeks ago about how to make Gravy is going to be a movie?
Speaker 2: Yes, I know a little bit about it. I've been pretty much sort of hands off, but they finished shooting so that I haven't seen any anything of it.
Speaker 1: But is there a cameo? Do you get you could be a very menacing prisoner. Now I'm not one of the life is.
Speaker 2: Or something you know in there? Well Briggs is playing one of the screws, one of the guards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it should have been you, Ambriggs. Would have been fun and so what happens? What is Christmas for you? Then? Because obviously you're part of a big family. What do you got eight brothers or sisters?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's eight of us. It's sort of roughly scattered between queens and then Victoria, I guess our main event these days we have Christmas Eve where we get together and stumble the way through some carols.
Speaker 1: What a great thing to do. So you'll sing together, What a great thing to do.
Speaker 2: Mary, my sister made the song. She she plays piano, and my nephew down and I stumbled along with the guitars. Everyone brings a plate.
Speaker 1: Well does this sound as much as a Carol's bint? Candlight is great? This is what we should be watching. You should be streaming this live from Paul's. I paid to watch that. I bet that's great fun.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to miss it this year because I'm doing Carols by candle like.
Speaker 1: You double booked and double book this year.
Speaker 2: I have to tell the family story.
Speaker 1: Your poor family. The way is Paul, he's got a big gig tonight, he's working tonight. It's going to be fun.
Speaker 2: We're going to do how to make gravy and grow in Silent Night, which is putting my beautiful favorite Carol.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gorgeous him and all kind of. It's a beautiful song actually as well, isn't it so, Paul, thank you very much, have a lovely Christmas. Thank you.
Speaker 2: You have a great Christmas yourself too. Thanks Christian well, Christian Connells Show podcast