Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week. They might welcome back to TV Reload. My name is Benjamin Norris and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors and casting agents, plus the talent that we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that you are currently watching and gives you a better insight into our television industry and our streaming services.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: On the podcast, I have another farmer from Farmer Wants a Wife twenty twenty two. It is Farmer Harry, who looks set to find a match in the series finale on Monday night at seven thirty. This year, as we know, five new farmers joined the series to find real love. In another exciting new season of Australia's favorite bush fairy Tale, which has been a really decent season on Channel seven and seven plus. Farmer Harry has been a joy to watch this year with his genuine nature and family values. I will say some questionable death moose, but to make up for that, some smooth talking Harry is a fan favorite, and I really hope he finds the right girl to join him permanently on the farm. We will talk his connection with the girls, why they didn't use his real farm, if he needed his mum's approval, what the relationship was really like with the producers, and why a swarm of leeches left the cast and crew screaming. However, let's get started with today's guest. I'd like to welcome Farmer Harry to TV reload.
Speaker 3: The Only twenty three. Why are you trying to get a wife?
Speaker 4: It's been months since our five hard working, lonely farmers began their search for true love. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 3: There was he go back to me teenage years and Jesus, it was pretty fiery and rocky along.
Speaker 1: The way Farmer Benjamin and Farmer Page found out of their search for love.
Speaker 3: He going into it. I wanted to be true to myself.
Speaker 4: Going oh Harry, I'm Harry. Unfortunately, only not being out in a film at home was just another victim of COVID. I think you just got to let love find its way and you'll know in your hearts whether it's working or not. Whoever it is, I don't necessarily want them to put their life on hold for me.
Speaker 1: Hi, farmer, Harry, how are you?
Speaker 4: Howdy? Yeah? Good, thank you? How are you?
Speaker 1: I love that you've started with howdy. That's so farmer esque. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I picked it up from some fairly friends. I reckon, That's how I got it. I never used to say. It wasn't until I reckon last year, and they'd always entered the pine with howdy.
Speaker 1: I wondered whether or not Channel seven had said to you from now on, you're a farmer, and farmer wants a wife, always saying how do you do? Everyone?
Speaker 4: And you know what a couple of times I stopped saying it because I was like, oh, I'm just really living up to the you know, the cliche. I suppose.
Speaker 1: Well, congratulations on getting this opportunity. How have you gone watching the series so far?
Speaker 4: Thank you? No, it is I do see there as an opportunity. I would like to start off with saying that, like, it's been very interesting. In all honesty, I definitely cringe when I'm on the old TV. I don't know, I like, oh, I was like, they need to add captions on. I just mumble the whole of them time the hell like I always talk like that, but the embarrassing. But I think for me, it's been more fun to just watch the other farmers and see their little stories and watch along for that, because you know, I did hear like kind of what happens on their farms when we catch up, but you don't really actually see it as a whole other thing, I suppose, So that's it's actually been very sweet kind of see how everyone else's story has progressed throughout the whole, the whole thing.
Speaker 1: You know. When I first saw you, I was like, Harry's twenty three. Does farmer want a wife? Or does farmer need a few more dates under his belt?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, I've heard that a couple of times. Believe it or not.
Speaker 4: It's funny.
Speaker 3: I think people say that, And I don't.
Speaker 4: Know if to me it's I don't really get caught up on age or anything like that. I think it's more like your life experiences that kind of tell you when you're ready to settle down and just your approach to life. And I've always kind of said, you know, I get told like you're only well the filming I was twenty three, Like you're only twenty three, like why you're trying to get a wife and stuff like that that I think for me, Like, you know, your twenties are the know, meant to be the best times, and like why wouldn't you want to share those best times of you know, someone that you care about.
Speaker 3: I suppose.
Speaker 1: But is it different in the like in the country and regional areas, Like are people still getting married, Like back in the day people would get married, you know at eighteen and nineteen, you know, he's twenty three too young to get married out in regional areas.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Like my dead partner, I'm pretty sure she's married. Yeah, there's I know a couple of people married about you. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I want to say, I know a bunch of city people.
Speaker 4: Everyone from the city that I know is someone from the country that's made to the city. So but I don't know everyone else is like in the city, but you know, in the country, it's I don't think it's that uncommon, you know, for at least when you're in your early twenties to be completely settled down, because a lot of them are you know, high school sweethearts and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Thought, I want that too.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure. And look from watching the show, I think that you look like you're ready to settle down. I don't think that you're pretending to do anything. I think that this just seems like a natural progression for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, it did feel very natural the whole I just had so much fun with it, getting to know the ladies, and I guess, like it's funny people ask me like, oh, why do you think you're like that?
Speaker 3: But that's just who I am. It's my natural train of thought.
Speaker 1: I guess a big point that people are discussing at the moment is, you know, how are these farmers being picked to be on a show like this? Did you apply or did you get somebody who came after you and said you're a good looking rooster, you should be on Farmer Wants a Wife.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so my mates, well, growing up, we used to watch the show and it was always kind of the family drake at Christmas time that me and me brothers would end up Wants a Wife. So, like, my cousin actually sent me a snapchat memory from like five years ago, and it's me standing in front of the tractor at home and I'm smiling giving her thumbs up, and she's like, the caption is our next season if Farm wants a wife, Farmer Harry coming out here or something like that.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, it's always been kind of a family joke.
Speaker 4: And then you know, with those advertisements that come out that they post on Facebook and whatnot, my friends would just always tag me in it.
Speaker 3: So it kind of turmed from that that.
Speaker 4: They saw it was being tagged left and center on Bloody almost every post they put up, and so they asked, is you know, is that something you'd be interested in? It kind of went from there, I suppose.
Speaker 1: And also, you know, as you know, before we started talking on the official podcast, I talked to you about chatting to Farmer Will and Farmer Ben and they both revealed that they have a bit of a bromance going on. Are you getting in on some of that action?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I suppose. So I think we all get along so Bloody Well, you know, when we do our little farmer catch ups, it's pretty funny they have to kind of like tell us to shut up, all right, we're done. Guys like to wrap up the conversation because you know, we just want to keep talking and talking because we all get along so well. It was quite funny because once we're all in a room together, it's pretty hard to keep control of a lot of us.
Speaker 3: I'd say we had the handsfull, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: A few people this week talking about your farm not being a farm, which I think is in a real It's not even a big issue to me because obviously during COVID, you know, we were lucky to get any television made. Do you see that kind of commentary online? And do you think it's you know, a storm and a tea cup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I think, yeah.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, not being able to film at home was just another victim of COVID, and it's just, yeah, it sucked, but I guess, you know, like you said, lucky to even have the opportunity at all.
Speaker 3: And it's not like the girls missed out.
Speaker 4: It was still an operating farm and they I definitely still had them out there driving tractors and milking cows and feeding calfs and everything.
Speaker 3: They still got the full farm experience.
Speaker 4: And I think, yeah, I'm trying to just don't let it affect me that much. It's just that's how it is, I suppose, and people are always going to want to ask up about something, and.
Speaker 3: I guess that's just kind of just got to take it on the gin.
Speaker 1: I suppose did you have to say to like your family, keep this on the download, but I'm not actually filing, you know, I'm not actually filming on the actual farm. I'm assuming that you sort of have to play along. But do you expect your family to play along with that kind of stuff as well?
Speaker 4: Well, no one was ever expected playing like it was the first ten seconds, you know, it was. It was pretty obvious it wasn't It wasn't kai. I think anyone could see that, like where we film was a lot different to home. But yeah, like I said, it was never said that it was my farm. It was Harry. Ladies are working with farmer Harry, and so you know it was We never ever put out the idea that it was my property to begin with, so I never felt like little lying at all.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not a country connoisseur, so I had no idea. It looked like your farm for sure. You definitely sold it to me, and I couldn't have cared.
Speaker 4: Less, thank you. Yeah, it was. It was still great to get out there and the girls, Yeah, like I said, they didn't miss out on any you know, what they would have experienced at home. Really they were still out their milk and cows and feeding them and you know, drenching cattle at one point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 1: You also seem to have a really strong relationship with your family. Was your mom's approval something you know of a non negotiable? Was when it came down to picking the right girl, did you make sure that your mom gave you the sign off and gave you the ticket approval?
Speaker 4: You know, it's that's so funny you should say that, because like, yeah, mum's approval is really important, but my mom has it has a pretty different approach. She's never once told me in my life like this is what you got to do. She's always you know, Harry's happy, I'm happy. And going back to when she had to decide on that, you know, who would go on that overnight date, she actually kind of struggled with that because she's like she didn't want to make that decision for me because she was like, oh, it's Harry's Harry's girls and he wants you know, his life kind of a thing. And that's always been her approach is as long as we're happy. She's happy, and she's been really really good about the whole process really and even just going on the show, she was like, oh, like she was excited for me, but also, you know, you think about it, make sure this is something you want to do, because once you do it, your life will never be the same.
Speaker 1: I liked the relationship that you had with her will have with her, and it came across really well on screen. Every time she was there. You could see that you had a great relationship with your mum, which I always look for in relationships with my friends. You know, I think that if you, you know, if you've got a good relationship with your parents, it says a lot about you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think it does.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to lie.
Speaker 3: There was go Back to Me teenage years, and geez it was pretty fiery and rocky.
Speaker 1: But I think, oh, everyone hates their mom at that stage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think you do. And some days, you know, you wish that you were different when you were younger. But I think you can't really dwell on that because you can't really control that. You can only control what you're doing right now. You can hopefully only grow to become a better person. At the end of the day. So I think that's kind of where I've you know, I really got a lot of respect from Mum because she's done a lot. She's a bloody good woman, tell you what. She had a handsful growing up with us four kids on the farm and helping dad and then having her own job and then taking us to soccer or bloody swimming, driving us five hours to swim at for about a total of one minute in the pool and then come home. She's been great throughout my whole life.
Speaker 1: And all of your siblings, as much of a handful as you are.
Speaker 3: I think you just me some of them a bit more of a handful.
Speaker 4: I like to say I'm the craasy one, but Mum would probably say otherwise, I'm probably in the middle.
Speaker 3: There's definitely easier, but definitely a lot more stressful.
Speaker 4: I think Mum always says that raising one daughter was more it was more over handful than raising three boys.
Speaker 1: I think I made the biggest mistake. I always thought that I was the easy one, and then you know, as an adult, we're all sitting around the table, and you know, it was revealed that I was the worst of the lot. So you know.
Speaker 3: Oh jeez, that's a bad bloody way to find out. I suppose, isn't it, Like I'm the great raft?
Speaker 1: What's wrong with you there?
Speaker 4: That's always what the bad ones say, though, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I'm obviously deluded? Obviously making a show for television is quite an intrusive, you know, experience, especially when it comes to meeting women. How much did the production side of things get in the way of you building genuine relationships?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think I had a pretty I like it. Think I'm pretty laid back and nothing really phases me. And that's something I definitely learned pretty quick, is like you can't meet someone who you know needs to have structure in their life because structure just falls apart because all it takes is like one wrong turn on the way to somewhere and then you're back a whole bunch of hours or you know, a bit of rain to come that it.
Speaker 3: Stuff's the whole day up.
Speaker 4: So I think I was very big on I kind of I don't really watch TV or anything like that, like especially these show Like I don't really consume much of this stuff because going into it, I wanted to be true to myself, and I think because of.
Speaker 3: That, I had a bit of an advantage in that I didn't.
Speaker 4: Really know how it all worked, so I just took it on the chin kind of a thing, and just you know, I was like, Oh, I'm just going to be me and that's all I can do. And I think that approach kind of helped. And I think you do get nervous on camera, but by the end, like it only took a couple of days and you're pretty you kind of get used to having cameras and microphones on you. I think the only thing by the end that still freaked me out was the events, because all of a sudden, it wasn't you know, your two soundos and two camera guys. It was like thirty cameras and fifteen soundos and all this stuff was going on with it just being very like I felt very supported the whole way through too, like I had a great truth Like it was sad when it all came to, you know, the end of it, because I got along with them so well, and I really did feel like they were kind of rooting for me to find someone and be happy at the end.
Speaker 1: I think that's the best way to do it. Like if you're going to do reality television, you know, you want to be doing the right thing. You sort of want to be pointed in the right direction and trust those relationships. I think as soon the trust is broken, you know, that's when it probably becomes a much harder relationship to try and work through or try to be authentic, because you know, it's like anything really, you know, once trust is broken, something like this can be really difficult.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I suppose I guess, like you've got to be true to yourself and be yourself, because god, I can't imagine doing it any other way, because like it'd be so exhausting, Like it was exhausting be myself, but putting on a character, don't. I don't know how anyone could do it. Really, Like they're long days. I don't think people realize that, like twelve hours of footage gets to cut down to like thirty seconds. It seems like that has probably been the hardest thing to you know, watch is see all these things that we did and that doesn't end up on TV. And then in a way, it's kind of cool that like even when we're doing that stuff, just to care that everyone looking to making sure everything looked good, and you know, everything was running smoothly, knowing, you know, knowing that there's a pretty good chance it won't even end up on TV. It's kind of heartbreaking the to see things that you did and even moments you shared with people or you know, farm work that you thought was really fun with the ladies and it doesn't end up, you know, going to TV and people miss out on it. That is a little bit of a shame for it, but that's just how it goes.
Speaker 1: I yess interesting that you know farmer will you know, he's kind of like a model, Like he's the most beautiful looking man, you know when you look at all the photos. But you know, I think watching the show, you became more attractive as the show went on because you were so genuine And I think that that was what was interesting to me as a viewer, was that you became more appealing than some of the other farmers because you genuinely look like you're having a good you know, you just genuinely look like you're having a good time and happy to be there.
Speaker 4: I had so much fun, Like I literally like it was the funniest thing ever, real, Like, seriously, this was like a highlight. I was just I don't know, it's been explained to me. It's a little bit of imposter syndrome. So it kind of it's a good thing aboud thing because I was just like, it's a privilege to be here. Really, Like I was convinced, especially in I was like, they're going to realize I'm awkward with these girls.
Speaker 3: I'm awkward on camera.
Speaker 4: They're going to a big mistake, and they're going to say I'm going to get a phone call and they're going to say, look, carry we've thought about it and we just can't go through with you.
Speaker 3: You're just it's not quite right. Like I was just convinced that was going to happen.
Speaker 1: Because you've been fired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is like a once I life on Opportunity is the only time there's going to be like three hundred people that were going to making sure my hair is right and my outfits match and stuff.
Speaker 4: Because if I was dressing myself, it would I would wear it. I'd be wearing like blue and green with nothing in between. You know, I'd be breaking all the rules of fashion.
Speaker 1: Harry, the best thing about you was the slightly awkward moments, because that's what we want to see on television, we want to see, we want to see ourselves, and that I think we all are super duper nervous when it comes to meeting people, you know. So I think that just genuinely being all of those things was probably your best selling point where you're like, please don't fire me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I was.
Speaker 3: It was just it was just great and I just.
Speaker 4: Got along with the crew, like there was no one that I came up against the whole way through and I never want to see that person again, just like everyone was just just a ripper.
Speaker 1: Don't be like me. I'm still calling producers from a show ten years ago and pretending that we're friends, and I'm pretty sure they're like, you're stretching the friendship mate. No one cares.
Speaker 4: It's funny to say that, because I like, I was only catching up with my producers a few weeks ago when we were in Sydney, caught up with them and had had dinner with them and stuff like that. I still have a pretty good relationship with them. I think when we have a chat from the time to time, it's yeah, I think I've made lifetime friends out of it.
Speaker 1: I like to think do you get a chance when you're sitting there in a casual moment to give them suggestions on what worked and what you think works in this show and what they could possibly do in a future season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I have. I think, you know, you've got to be understanding. Like my biggest thing was they're not from farming world, so I can't get angry that they want me to do something. We It was a very two way relationship, Like I didn't know Dick about TV, and you know, they didn't really know much about farming, so you know, they might say, oh, Harry, can you do this. I'm like, look, that's not really something we would actually do, and they say, oh, that's great, Like thank you. We don't know, that's fine, don't worry about it, don't do it. You don't feel comfortable. That's not how you do something on the farm. Don't worry about it. And you know, just like i'd expect them if I was saying doing something wrong on camera that I'd want that feedback. So I think from that, you can only hope that you know, you improve it for the next time, the next batch of farmers that are coming up, and hope they you know, don't go through some of it. Well, you know, they don't have some of the struggles that you had, just because you know, you've educated the TV people, you know, on what works and what doesn't quite work.
Speaker 1: So well, it's kind of weird because you know, in some ways they want you to be very farmer esque and lean into that, and I don't necessarily see that being a massive problem. I mean, that's what the show is. I mean, it's not the worst thing in the world. And they're like, all right, to get on this horse and go on last, so you go, well or whatever it is, because they're trying to ham it up because you know it kind of it kind of suits the brand. So you know, why wouldn't they ask me to do that kind of stuff, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I look, I suppose I get that, but I think you've got to be realistic as well. I think for me, and I was very big on you know, agriculture is something I really deeply care about so much, like I live and breathe it, and so I was very big on I want to give people a little inside on, you know, how the farming world works. And I think this show is really just the tip of that Iceberg, and I hope that anyone that sees the show and you know, shows a little bit of interest in agriculture that they you know, they don't end their journey of ag from watching the show. They go out there and you know, like you could be into interior design and.
Speaker 3: You can get a job in agriculture. That's what I love about it.
Speaker 4: For me, I just agriculture is just, I don't know, it's my whole world. And I think in a way, even though a lot of people don't think about it, it's their whole world too. You know, at the end of the day, you've got to eat something and that's going to come from somewhere, and you know, it's ag that provides that. And I think the more people that are involved and have an understanding of agriculture. I'm very big on being transparent about the industry towards people and it's always a good thing when someone gets to see, you know, how their food and fibers produced. Especially in Australia, We've got you know, gold standards of the world being produced right here. And I'm really proud to say that I'm involved.
Speaker 1: In that absolutely, you know, and I think it I mean, I think the show could lean more into the more education on what it's like to be an actual farmer in Australia.
Speaker 3: You know, you asked me, there's never enough.
Speaker 4: I'd always I could always say, you know, they could lean more into it. I don't think you can ever be exposed enough of how your food is produced and how you know you will sparn I guess, and you know how you end up with nice winter jackets going in the summer now, it's probably I don't know what will products you use on pants, but I'm getting lost eye tract.
Speaker 1: When you ramble off and start talking about farmer stuff. I'm pretty sure they just plan ed Sheeran song in the background and fade you back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's literally what they do. I wouldn't be surprised they are. The farmers are just rembling out the farm stuff again.
Speaker 1: Once for the cutting room floor. You know, I was a little surprised to see that. You know, Tess said that, you know, she still needed to finish off a few things back at home, you know, on the Gold Coast or whatever. You know, she had to finish off a few things. Couldn't just pack up her stuff and move straight to the farm. Is it kind of a bit strange? I mean, I was a little bit annoyed with her at that point because I was like, come on, you're on farmer wants a wife? You know. You know that feel is if you bag the bloke. If you snag the bloke, you're moving to the farm. Was it strange to hear or have those conversations?
Speaker 4: And I think that's partly my fault because I don't think it's it's.
Speaker 3: Been shown, but I've been quoted as.
Speaker 4: Saying, you know, I don't my partner, whoever it is, I don't necessarily want them to put their life on hold for me, like I think, I just want their life to work for me is probably the biggest thing, and I'd rather it was. It did kind of suck to hear that, But at the same time, I suppose it's better to have the true and get to the end and find out that that wasn't ready to move with the farm until she'd finished UNI, I suppose.
Speaker 1: I think the other thing that everyone's talking about at the moment was it was a bit sad to see Farmer Benjamin and Farmer Page walk away empty handed. Are they maybe going to come back next year. Do you know if they're still single? Could they be back on Farmer Wants a Wife next year?
Speaker 4: I don't know. Well, they've already announced the next lot, so I don't think you're on next season. But no, I think I still, like I said to Page before she left, you know, she's made lifetime friends on that show out of us boys, and we're always going to be there for it. So I do keep in contact with her, And yeah, I can't really say much else because it's her life and I don't really feel comfortable spout enough from what she's doing on her adventures.
Speaker 3: You'd have to ask her.
Speaker 1: But very on Australian Harry, it's very un Australia.
Speaker 4: Sorry, yeah, but no, she seems to be happy with you know how it is, and she's got got mates out of us, so she got something.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 1: Will people be shocked by anything coming up in the season finale and the reunion, is anything that you can tease us with as to what we are expected to see in the last two episodes.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I think you'll just have to wait and see. I'm pretty excited just to see how decisions go for everyone else like I live through it.
Speaker 3: I'm keen to see how everyone else's decision day went.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I don't know. I'm a little bit like people like, oh, what's coming up? And I'm very big like just watch it, like I get a kick out of seeing what's going on, Like I don't want to know anything, Like don't you just get.
Speaker 3: Excited at the unknown? Like that? It's so special for me and I bluddy lived it, you know, part of it.
Speaker 1: All of you and will oh well if you will and Ben all find the perfect match. Could you get like a group discount on a joint farmer wedding?
Speaker 3: Might need to look into that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll take.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Harry, it's so lovely to chat to you. And something I always ask everyone who joins the podcast is what's something from behind the scenes, something that we didn't see that we won't see. That's kind of a behind the scenes secret of Farmer wants a wife? Is there anything you can tell us?
Speaker 4: Leeches, holy hat, leeches were everywhere, I think with it being quite a wet year, like every day we're getting attacked by leeches. I remember like having a really deep conversation with Gabrielle early on it was a very important conversation.
Speaker 3: And I could literally see multiple leeches crawling.
Speaker 4: Along the damn ground, climbing.
Speaker 3: Onto my shoe.
Speaker 4: And then after we finished film and we're all driving home in their cars and then I had like this weird like stinging on my leg and I cut down and as a leech on me.
Speaker 2: Cameraman, We're getting attacked by leeches.
Speaker 3: He it was buddy, it was how that was everywhere.
Speaker 4: It was funny as though, because it did mate for some pretty funny moments of screaming through the forest and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: It was quite kind of good to watch.
Speaker 1: And leeches is obviously not a code word for the first round of girls that you rejected from taking.
Speaker 4: No, the little lam things that suck your mind.
Speaker 1: Harry, It's been so lovely to chat to you. You know, it's been a fantastic season. The casting this year has been brilliant. It's just been a joy to watch. And you know, I really hope that you find yourself for missus and and this show really pays off for you.
Speaker 4: Thanks. Mate, really appreciate you taking the time the chat to me, and yeah, it's been great. The first time on a podcast hopefully started.
Speaker 3: My career, I listened to so many podcasts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then you become so criticalized a minute, I always get really critical. I'm like listening to podcasts all the time because I do them, and I'm like, I can't. Actually, the weird thing about it is that I hate the sound of my own voice, so I find it really hard to listen back. So here's a tip. Don't listen back to the podcast. You'll hate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't listen back to your own everyone now, yeah, that's yeah, that's not a bad idea.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for being so generous with your time. It was a good chat.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Geez, appreciate it.