Speaker 1: Laura.
Speaker 2: Come on, there you go the week? Have you hump day ladies?
Speaker 3: Hello everybody, how's your week in so far?
Speaker 4: Mitch?
Speaker 2: Oh good, I binge that Martha docu series on Netflix.
Speaker 3: Stewart, who doesn't know it's so good?
Speaker 2: Listen, hot take. I love Martha.
Speaker 4: Like, yes, she's a narcissist. She might have been a bit evil, but I am full on team Martha.
Speaker 2: Stewart.
Speaker 3: Well, she's like a narcissist that you kind of then you kind of fall in love with by the end, right, Yeah, yeah, and I think she also she's also softened. Prison softened her.
Speaker 2: I don't think it softened her at all.
Speaker 3: I think it's made her harder. Okay, did you not see the bit it's come out recently. So she was talking about a journalist who wrote some really horrible things about her, and then she said, well, thank god that journalist is dead.
Speaker 2: Now, Oh this is the moment. Yeah, this is from the docu series.
Speaker 4: This is when she went to prison and the journalist was writing mean headlines of horrible headlines.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: New York Post lady was there just looking so smug. She had written horrible things during the entire trial. She's dead now, I thank goodness, and she doesn't have to nobody has to put up with that crap that she was reading all the tile.
Speaker 3: So the journalist came out and was like, I am not dead, Martha. She used some choice words that we can't put on the radio at three o'clock, but yeah, she's not dead.
Speaker 6: But then Martha came out again and was like, yeah, I know, I just wanted to tell people she was dead.
Speaker 3: She did doubled down. Yeah, but I also think, like Martha, if Martha says you're dead, you should just lay down and pretend to be dead, because this is a woman who knows what she's talking about. I'm sorry. I think he's right, you're dead. It's more metaphorically she's dead.
Speaker 2: Hey, next, get this.
Speaker 4: It has been revealed which celebrity Elon Musk has made cry. There were rumors that Elon Musk made a very famous comedian cry and we didn't know who it was, and now we finally.
Speaker 3: I wonder who try to figure it out?
Speaker 2: I have no I really want. We could go on for hours. Give me a couple songs and I'll tell you. All right, wait, all right, we're going to pick up Happy Wednesday. Everyone it's the middle of the week. We've got to do this.
Speaker 1: You can't down.
Speaker 4: Pick up, put down is where I bring Britain Laura the big news stories of the day or the week, and they decide if we pick them up as if we keep talking about them because they're just that hot, or we put them down we stop talking about them because they're just so not It's.
Speaker 3: All the things that people have been talking about today at the office, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh my god, huge news. So pick up, put down, ladies.
Speaker 4: First story, Elon Musk making a bunch of Saturday Night Live cast members cry.
Speaker 3: Not shocked, but obviously put it down. I know nothing about this, so I can't pick it up or put it down.
Speaker 4: It's been a big story for about a year here. He hosted well over a year ago. This is before he was kind of like pro Trump. He was kind of cool tech genius billionaires.
Speaker 2: Ever, yeah he was. There was a period where he was.
Speaker 3: It was with Grimes, Yeah, yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 4: He hosted SNL and after that a whole bunch of cast members came out and said, oh my god, you know there was one host that's made his cry but will never tell you, who will never tell you who now that he's pro Trump and they hype Trump. They've come out and revealed that it's him, but also the celebrity that he made cry has owned up to it, have listened to these it's Chloe Finemans.
Speaker 7: I'm going to come out and say at long last that I'm the cast member that he made cry and he's the host that made someone cry. You're going to like go on your platform and be rude, like, guess what you made I Chloe Feineman burst into tears because I stayed up all night writing this sketch.
Speaker 2: I was so excited.
Speaker 3: I came in. I asked if you had any questions, and.
Speaker 7: You stared at me like you were firing me from Tesla and were like, it's not funny.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know, Like, what do you get out of adding him a year later, except just like trying to get a one up?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 2: I agree. I'll never tell you, guys when your jokes sound funny.
Speaker 3: You always fell us, and I never tell you when you make me cry, Mitch, but I will one day because I really.
Speaker 2: Make the press cry, pick up, put down, speak of crying. Jesus.
Speaker 4: I've seen the footage the Australian men's netball team performing a dance routine before their game.
Speaker 3: I didn't pick it up. Pick it up? Why can't they do a dance routine?
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 2: I was just adding some drama. Actually am all for it.
Speaker 4: The Australian men's netball team didn't even know it existed. Has divided fans. On the opening day of netball's Fast five series, they lip sunk and syncs bye bye bye.
Speaker 2: Good on the men calling it cringe.
Speaker 3: I just think that's called spatus baite. There's no part of them.
Speaker 6: That were like, hey, this will make us play better.
Speaker 3: People want a viral moment.
Speaker 6: They knew that if they did an end sync dance together in unison before the game, it would go viral.
Speaker 3: That's that's where we're at now, sport.
Speaker 6: Didn't you see the NURL player in America, the huge player on the weekend that celebrated his touchdown by doing the raygun dance. I saw that these are just moments that people know they can like capitalize on the moment.
Speaker 2: Go viral, pick up or put down.
Speaker 4: There's a boss going viral for banning employees from taking leave to care for sick kids.
Speaker 3: Do put that down. Put that down with a strong put down, Throw it down, smash it. Okay, give me the context.
Speaker 4: All right, A box has been slammed for unreasonable note. He passed it on an office noticeboard. The note said, calling out because your child is sick, I mean going home sick thinks in America is no longer a valid excuse to miss work.
Speaker 2: And will now result in a write up.
Speaker 4: We do not employ your children, and as such, their sickness is not an excuse for you to miss work.
Speaker 2: Go team, Go team.
Speaker 3: That just would not fly in Australia. Like what are parents supposed to do? Like if you get a call up from your daycare or from your school that your kid is sick, you have to go and get them. And this is the thing that every parent has to deal with, Like it's just part and parcel that just for me is infuriating, Like you have a responsibility to take care of your kids and you need your workplace to support you. I agree, but I'm going to be devil's advocate here.
Speaker 6: I understand why an employer could get frustrated if say they have four staff that all have kids, and for a week straight they've all had to go and look after their kids and the work is not getting anything done.
Speaker 3: I understand why someone could be like, well what am I gonna do? I'm still trying to run a business. But absolutely not you take I mean people aren't just taking paid leave. There's parameters around how you take your leave. If it means that you have to take a sick day, you have sick days they're there for a reason, or you have bereavement leave, or you have like care is leave, Like there are so many different types of leave that you can and can't take. It's not like someone's just going I'm an o'clock off early, still pay me for the day anyway. That just that's outrageous to me. Yeah, put that down.
Speaker 4: In Australia, fall and part time employees can take care as leave paid on family member.
Speaker 2: It's allowed and it's good.
Speaker 3: Look as they should well look talking about kids, I am facing my own situation in my household at the moment with my my daughter Lawla. She's three and let's just say she is addicted to something and I don't know how to break the addiction.
Speaker 2: Very early for an addiction.
Speaker 3: My brain wanted to say so many things there, but I'm trying to run a three year old addict.
Speaker 4: All right, let's just say but out of puree for the time. That's next on the show.
Speaker 3: Guys, I've gotten myself into a situation. So Lola is three years old now right, well, she's almost three point five, oh three point eight, she's going to be four in February next year. And we kind of missed the boat on weaning her off something that most people wean their kids off when they're a little baby, hard drugs. Never I was gonna say, like like formula milk. No, look, Lola still has a dummy. Not all the time, hear me out. I'm not a terrible parent, but she still has a dummy at nighttime, and we have tried to get her off this thing, but she is obsessed. She is dummy obsessed, unlike any other kid I have ever experienced. She is obsessed to the point where we tried to wean her off at last year at Christmas time, and for six weeks, every single night she just scream cried, and then I'd have to like lay in bed and pat her to sleep, and it was a nightmare. So I was like, have it back. So I broke the golden rule. The golden rule is that if you wean your kid off a dummy, you never ever give it back. You just stay strong. But it didn't stay strong. She got it back, and now her addiction is even worse. He's made a grave error.
Speaker 6: I'm going to say that coming from someone with no kids or experience, you've heard.
Speaker 4: A yeah, I'm ready to pass immediate judgment and I've never paid somebody called docs.
Speaker 3: No. But look, I mean a lot of people feel really strongly about this, especially things like dummies and bottles and everything else, and like there is a time limit that kind of goes on, and just like reserve your judgment. I know that she should be off it, and we're trying, Like we're at a point now where we're like, okay, you're four years old in February. We need to try and win you off this thing.
Speaker 2: Four years old for.
Speaker 6: A dummy, right, wretchy teeth and stuff, and like you can have speech impediments.
Speaker 2: There can be a lot of stuff pushes your teeth out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's affecting her speech a little bit. But she does have like a mad overbide that's actually just cruel. Okay, no, it is if you know what's doing it. You've just got to harden up and do what's best.
Speaker 4: So expensive, in the long run, you're gonna have to pay races. There's a lot of dental work for her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I know, but I kind of feel like at the moment, it's been the lesser of two evils, and now she's just like something that has become like a negociation tactic. Anyway, we're doing our best. We are about to introduce and remind her of the dummy Fairy. So I think it's time that the dummy Fairy is going to pay a visit to our house. Now, if you're not familiar with the dummy Fairy, the way it works is the dummy Fairy comes, she collects the dummy or he collects the dummy as it is in our household, and you plant it in the garden and the dummy Fairy leaves a lollipop or they leave a toy, or they leave something that's really special and the kid can choose like what it is that they want. And so I had this conversation with Lola the other day and I was like, okay, sweetie, like you know, the dummy Fairy is coming soon, we're going to do a calendar, we're going to do a countdown. We're reading a book about the Dummy Fairy. It's all very, very special, and she's starting to get excited about the idea about him coming and leaving her a present. And yesterday she runs into the bedroom and it's like three o'clock in the morning, so she's really excited to tell me that something that she's realized about the Dummy Fairy, and she goes, Mummy, I figured it out. She's like, if they're dummy fairy brings me presents, I'm just gonna ask for another dummy and then cackles with this evil Then you know they're too smart. It's too old. They can outsmart you.
Speaker 4: Like she's your fault man for like setting up those rules. You could have said anything, the dummy Fairy comes, take the fairies, and that's good. But you've said she gives you one gift whatever you was, grant you any wish in the world.
Speaker 3: I want more dummy. It's less amount of dummy, totally.
Speaker 2: Whatever your heart desires, the kid's heart desires dummies.
Speaker 3: This is what she had to say this morning about it. I thought maybe she'd forget and no, she hasn't gonna get me on it. She's she's convinced. She's gonna be sorely disappointed.
Speaker 2: I think I can hear you over. Yeah, I'm joking.
Speaker 3: I don't know how to negotiate this. I'm just gonna have to give us some tough stop negotiating. You don't negotiate with your child.
Speaker 6: We've spoken of so many children psychologists, and they all say the same thing.
Speaker 3: You set the boundaries and you tell them, or you can come over and try and put it to bed when she doesn't have one.
Speaker 2: When I do that, you've got yourself. Sorry, neither of us.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, No, all right, let's move along. Something I'm more in touch with. Well, I used to be dating horrific dating stories because we've got a couple of absolute bangers.
Speaker 4: I went on a date with the robot ones. I'll save it for next, But I did. I dated a No, he's a human, but I didn't realize he was half cyborg. It was a whole thing. I know the what.
Speaker 3: I'm so confused.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'll tell you next, don't worry.
Speaker 6: I feel like it's that time of year again, at the end of the year, where everyone comes out of the woodworks and talks about their worst dates.
Speaker 3: Like it's like the.
Speaker 6: Year where everyone reflects back and they're like, you know what, I'm swearing off dating.
Speaker 3: I'm going single? Yeah, I mean it never gets easier, I does it.
Speaker 6: But there are these internet threads going bonkers where people have.
Speaker 3: Been riding in their dates and they're so cooked. I have listened to one of these.
Speaker 6: She told him she was a vegan, and he took her out to a steakhouse intentionally.
Speaker 3: When she said, Hey, I'm a vegan, can we go somewhere else? He said, nah, a bit of metal?
Speaker 6: Do you good?
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I think that was an innuendo there. But if you're a vegan, you get invited. I didn't think about that.
Speaker 2: She also would still have to eat steak, so he was still a prick.
Speaker 3: But if you're a vegan, why did you even go, like just say no? Why did you say yes to the date?
Speaker 4: I went on a date once when I was single. This was years ago when I first came out. It was one of my first like guy dates, and I was dating this guy and we were on the like an open car park rooftop and he was shivering like I'm talking like shivering, and I wanted to get a look over the city to make a move to kiss him. And we're looking over the city like, you know, more fastera and simber, and I like put my arm around him, and he was hypothemic. He was shaking and cold to the touch, corpse like. And I was like, you're really cold, and he's like back to the car, and I was like, what's wrong?
Speaker 3: Is everything right?
Speaker 2: And I've got scoliosis. I've got a metal bean through my spine.
Speaker 3: Oh he was so it was literally freezing from the inside out.
Speaker 2: He's got a metal pole through his body. He's half cyborg. He froze.
Speaker 3: He's not, you know. I went on a date once where the guy it was literally a lunch date.
Speaker 6: I'm talking sandwich in the smoothie and the guy made me go and get twenty dollars cash from it at it's insane.
Speaker 3: I also went on a dinner date. He invited me to dinner, then he didn't eat, didn't drink, and then I paid for it. There's a lot of flogs out there. I went on a date once and I left to go to the were at his house and I went first date though, and it was he look, it sounds bad, but he said it was just for dessert, and that's what I thought it was. Anyway, I went to the bathroom and I came back out and he was completely stark naked, and there he was with two apple pies. And it was not what I wanted at all.
Speaker 6: The dessert.
Speaker 2: AI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he had it on him. Anyway.
Speaker 2: He says, that's the weirdest thing I've ever heard. And he's called reminded you of a horror date story. What happened to you?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't know if it's much of a date. It's definitely unique.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 8: I was on holidays and I met this guy and he's working his part time summer job hiring out kayaks and paddle boards on the side of the river. And we hit it off and we decided to go for a little bit of a paddle downstream. We inevitably started getting it on on the river bank. What a nice date, I know, so romantic, and thankfully for me, it didn't last very long because as we wrapped up, he proceeds to let me know that this whole time, there has been a brown snake under my head.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he didn't tell you and he didn't stop till he was done.
Speaker 8: That is so it was very focused.
Speaker 2: I can imagine. Yeah, they care.
Speaker 3: There was two snakes. There wasn't there was.
Speaker 4: I'm being told, apparently we have your husband, Laura Maddy Jay who's been listening.
Speaker 3: He's dated a lot of women.
Speaker 2: He's called the show Maddie Hope, he's not still.
Speaker 1: Hello, guys, how are we so well? This is when I lived in London. I lived in London for four years, just in case anyone was wondering, and I was on a first day. I met this girl on Tinder. We met at the pub, and I thought the date was going really well, like she was super chatty, super sociable, We're having great conversation. The only weird thing was she just kept going to the bathroom, but not just once, not twice, would go to the bathroom quite frequently in between drinks. And then I realized that she was actually indulging in how can I say the Devil's dandriff if you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean? She was having her own party. Yeah, we get it, we get it.
Speaker 1: A couple of those beers and then eventually after a little while, she was like, look. She owned up to it and said, do you want someone I can give it to you go to the bathroom, and I was like, no, I'm okay. You know, it's a Tuesday night and I think I think I'll pass. And then she took that really badly, so she then announced on the top of her lungs to the entire bar, going, oh, great, so my date's going to judge me because I'm doing this. He thinks he's better than me, and then started attacking me. And then after a little while I kind of tried to calm down the situation. I said to her, I think it's best if I leave, And then once again she stood up at the top of hers in front of everyone of this busy bar in London, saying like, well look at look at me now, who's an idiot? My date's walking out of me. That makes you feel really good. Thanks a lot for a great first date.
Speaker 6: How do you feel, Matt, that like someone needed that much help to get through a date with you.