Speaker 1: Imagine, if you will, that you are in a place of great beauty.
Speaker 2: Some teenage boys.
Speaker 1: Walk past you, they yell out, they bitch tits. The world you see is a place of paradox of beauty and cruelty. It will cut you off at the knees then gift.
Speaker 2: You a pair of easies.
Speaker 1: And that, my friends, is why.
Speaker 3: You always always need a buck up.
Speaker 2: Ba ba ba ba KNITCHI wah.
Speaker 3: You know it's gonna sound very weird when people don't know you just got off a plane.
Speaker 2: From literally this morning, I got off a plane.
Speaker 3: Well they maybe they need to know that before you carry on with your little voice there, I think, do you like that that I'm so demure?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: This is like in high school when someone came back from America for two weeks and they had an accent.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: But I can't do the accent because although they don't care about cultural appropriation, they'd never be happier than if everyone's tripping around in a kimono.
Speaker 3: Welcome Katelin, mischief face.
Speaker 2: You know who's very Japanese?
Speaker 3: Who oh yeah, why so I just her size?
Speaker 2: She could shop there.
Speaker 4: And just no, no, not that part say hello, Sash, that's enough can ware. Anyway, I brought presents people that.
Speaker 3: Bring presents from holidays.
Speaker 2: And I did some vintage shopping.
Speaker 3: Did even she comes with her Gucci handbag. Folks look at that?
Speaker 2: How's that? Because you know there's no copies in Japan? So they say, well, so they say so, they say it was a legit boot in a car.
Speaker 4: Leg I went to the factory. I saw the guy with his hot glue gun.
Speaker 3: Handcrafted.
Speaker 2: Isn't it stunny?
Speaker 3: Is if anyone was to say, what's a Kate Lanebrook bag? There it is red and.
Speaker 2: Brilliant, little, bigly, not frilly a good way. Now you're okay, Now what so tassels?
Speaker 4: No brilliant big is like.
Speaker 2: When you think of Kate lane Brook.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, but if anything about women they like being called frilly and big.
Speaker 2: Wow, you're getting what is this? Oh my god? Folks has given me.
Speaker 3: Kalua the greatest, all the way from Japan, all the way from Japan. It is much a flavor.
Speaker 4: Now, pa is insane because as we know, Kalua is a coffee liqueur, and that chase it is tea.
Speaker 2: And it's not a good tasting one. Either.
Speaker 3: So this is something.
Speaker 2: So I thought of you and I haven't tried it. We haven't tried. It is going to be an experiment. And hang on, I'm going to give I give Sasha hers while you pour us drinks. Of course, yeah, okay, because Sasha French, I got you for me? All right? What are these? All the Japanese girls use them.
Speaker 4: They're patches that you put on your legs or your feet are tied. And apparently they're amazing, and you know you.
Speaker 2: You yeah, hot feet, Yeah.
Speaker 4: You get hot feet, refreshed sheet, very good, and also some cherry sauce.
Speaker 2: And also they.
Speaker 3: I'm just laughing at the sentence I get hot feet.
Speaker 2: Are they gorgeous?
Speaker 3: I think your boyfriend alt chuck those socks on your stinking hot feet.
Speaker 2: Your bit stinking they don't stink so free.
Speaker 4: You're such a It reminds me of I told you what my mom once said about gaming.
Speaker 2: Why do women love gay men? You know they're the enemy. You both want the same thing.
Speaker 4: And the more time I spend with you, oh my goodness, it's green.
Speaker 3: The much a klure looks absolutely awful.
Speaker 2: It looks like you wrongs. You've got me a bottle of it's a terrible dark green oil.
Speaker 3: It's taste.
Speaker 2: Ruined. Okay, hang it mm hmm. I can't taste the much at all. I taste it at the start, but not at the end. Who cares? Thank you so much for my presence. That a great novelty, you know what. I saw it first, and then I said, why didn't I just get it?
Speaker 4: You know, when you're traveling you just don't think you don't. And then I went, we drink kolure all the time. What better for our Japanese episodes then to drink much.
Speaker 2: I like that coffee. Look you up.
Speaker 3: I love a much, love a much. I love much of kid kats from Japan.
Speaker 2: You playing at home? Oh yes you can. We brought some back.
Speaker 3: You are a lot of things much a flavored considering you think it's a disgusting, well.
Speaker 2: Because you like the novelty of it. Pushing me, just pushing me.
Speaker 4: It's so amazing. I know it's annoying to hear people say, but let me this is a good tip for I've never been our listeners. Well I've been before, but not properly. I went on a cruise with We took my parents on a cruise and.
Speaker 2: The kids were little. I saw quite a lot of it. Yeah, we saw quite a lot, but it was not like this time.
Speaker 4: We had five days in Tokyo and five days skiing, and then we were.
Speaker 3: In Osaka and you hate skiing.
Speaker 2: I didn't go skiing.
Speaker 3: You sent us a pit lying on the couch like comfortable. And I have to admit, behind you it was the most beautiful looking scenery I've ever seen the same. I think it would even get.
Speaker 2: Me out there.
Speaker 4: It was so incredible enough for you to like go out there. No, I did go out there, but not skiing. But I did say, and you know I hate walking. I hate well, you know I have a good walk.
Speaker 2: I'm like, get if God wanted me to walk a car car, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: You heard of an e scooter, but I had rollerblades.
Speaker 2: Two of the greatest walks. In fact, every night a heavy snow walk, heavy snow walk.
Speaker 4: I can't faie to you the magic of it. It's proper magic.
Speaker 2: Well you I could.
Speaker 3: I've got a glimpse of it in the background of you lying on the couch in the pic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just magical.
Speaker 4: And such of course had been the year before with her boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Anyway. Wow, for someone who said that heaps to talk about.
Speaker 4: No, I've got okay, so you know how I am.
Speaker 3: I hope you never get a job on Getaway your episode of Getaway? Is you going I hate walking?
Speaker 2: No? You know how? I love the things about Japan. Okay. It's as cheap as chips.
Speaker 3: As in daily life, there is cheap foods cheap, so cheap. Is the a com really expensive though?
Speaker 4: No, no it's not, no, not really, not compared to in Sydney, that shit old Sydney.
Speaker 3: Hey, Sydney buckets. What's going on with don't even I get an offer for a comedy room or to do a show and you go yeah, then you work out the math of the hotel room.
Speaker 2: You're like, I'm going to lose money, Sydney. It's crazy. Okay.
Speaker 4: So what's happened is this is bad for the Japanese people. I imagine who knows, but their economy is collapsed, oh dear. Something to do with the fact that Honda and Nissan or is the Americans called it. Nissan also get we're going to have a merger, right, They're going to have a merger because their car industry is being destroyed by the Chinese.
Speaker 2: Are they going electric or what?
Speaker 4: No, they brought in the first highbrid they were a bit early with it or the first electric. Yeah, Toyota is not involved in the merger anyway. The merger fell over while we were there, and gee, how exchange rate just went through the roof, so we were getting like nine yeen. So it was basically you one tenths everything. So you go out for a stunning.
Speaker 3: Temperaud on Yumo ten bucks love it?
Speaker 2: Ten bucks at the air? What at the air? I mean it had Marcher in it, but it was always March anyway. It was stunning.
Speaker 4: And also the other thing about Japan that is amazing is it's a high trust society.
Speaker 3: Everyone always has clean I thought you were about to say it.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what. My bits have never been never like whenever you like. The toilet's just constantly.
Speaker 3: Constantly, just constantly.
Speaker 4: You're constantly yeap Like did you ever see that movie Silkwood, No, with Meryl Streets. She works in a uranium factory and if you're ever exposed to the polonium at the end, they all the alarms golf and they put you in a sh and it's a shower like you've never had before.
Speaker 2: Like she's practically getting.
Speaker 4: That's what the toilets in Japan due to your your front bit. Although you can and you can press different bits.
Speaker 2: You can press favorite.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't have a favorite. I'm not really that into it, to be honest. I found it a bit much.
Speaker 3: I can never decide on what I want the hose. When I have to hose the garden out the bark and coat is away. Do I go the hard long one?
Speaker 2: Right? The wide spray? Okay? Well this is you would really have.
Speaker 4: I'm good at decisions. For me, it's all little pictures. And after a while we knew the pictures.
Speaker 3: It was on the pictures.
Speaker 2: One's a little bottom and the jets like right in the middle of the cheeks.
Speaker 4: And one is what's the girl one such it just has a different angle. I think it's intrusive. Yeah, it's intrusive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the wrong setting old hot feed over there.
Speaker 2: Dear feet were hot after she gave this a good hosing, a good silkwood hosing.
Speaker 3: Did anyone in your family enjoy the Japanese toileting?
Speaker 2: Oh they all love men love it, do they? Yeah? Men love it?
Speaker 4: Men are mad on that sort of stuff, So it's a little men love it because I think.
Speaker 2: Of your prostate.
Speaker 4: Because of your prostate, you enjoy things we don't like rogering each other up the bot part, What setting was that?
Speaker 2: What was the what was the image for that one?
Speaker 4: But you know, they's like it's there's a whole world of possibility. And also the toilets do this thing that when you sit on them, they make a background noise, which is disconcerting because it sounds like it's flushing, but it's not. It's just water running, so that outside you're not your part privacy.
Speaker 3: I think anyone listening to our podcast runs toilets of some sort. Can every single toilet in the world have music playing loudly for the comfort of everybody?
Speaker 2: Yes, well you can choose music or you can have the water sound. Anyway. My husband loved it, and he goes, I newly put one in in our bathroom. But the four thousand dollars no goodbye, normal one for four hundred.
Speaker 3: I mean, just listen to a podcast.
Speaker 2: Dreams so much for me.
Speaker 3: It's good lady to hear any sounds of a creek while she's on the duney. Yeah, he wants that beautiful.
Speaker 4: So high trust society is an amazing experience if you come from a country like Australia once was a high trust society. And I'm not going into the reasons why it's no longer. You can probably work that out for yourself.
Speaker 3: I think that involves a bit of a cook.
Speaker 4: But this is how a high trust society manifests itself. Now people have done stuff like this online and you can check it. Like they've done things that they've left a briefcase at the busiest train station in Tokyo, Shinjuku or whatever. They've left it there and two hours later they come back and pick it up and it's there.
Speaker 3: Crazy, right, But this was just so amazing.
Speaker 4: Once you start noticing it, you're just like literally not one person when you're getting on these trains. How many people live in Japan thirty million or something, millions millions, millions of people on these trains, so busy when you're in New York, when you're in Australia, there's always messages, please look after it. In Europe, look after your belongings. There are pickpockets on the train.
Speaker 2: How many one hundred and twenty four million. What in Tokyo, Japan? Oh? How many in Tokyo? Anyway? Whatever, you busy yourself? Take that? Do you want some ice for your feet?
Speaker 4: Fourteen fourteen point eight million, city of fourteen point eight million.
Speaker 3: Tiny, The city is very smallest.
Speaker 2: No, it's spread out. It's actually it's actually.
Speaker 3: The actual city city party is small.
Speaker 2: Smaller than No, I don't think so. I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Is that.
Speaker 2: I think it's spread because.
Speaker 4: It's not particularly high rise, not particularly high rise anyway, so constantly, once you're aware of it, you're like, this is just amazing. There's not a rubbish bin anywhere, which drives you crazy. So people carry their own rubbish with them and dispose of thoughtfully.
Speaker 2: There's not a cigarette.
Speaker 4: But we were in train stations happenes love us.
Speaker 2: Now they have to do it furtively.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of signs in the street saying no smoking now, which some people would find annoying if they wanted for perhaps to kick off. But so and they sell cigarettes everywhere. I don't know what's happening with that. But you can go into a bar and smoke in a tiny room the size of a closet anyway.
Speaker 3: Did you see all the drunk businessmen on a Friday night? Okay, keep that up on the internet. It's a great thing. And they will go our car absolutely maggeted after work. And there's all this footage of Andese men passed out at train stations.
Speaker 2: Nice to them. Everyone puts bottles of water around them.
Speaker 4: And in Osaka it was Monday night and they were all bars hospital night, and the girls who work at the bars would all come downstairs with them and got mas and got to Kazmer saying I'm waving goodbye, and the men would go lurching off down the street. And then as soon as they were out of I shot, the girls would start talking to each other and giggling.
Speaker 3: Laughing at him, laughing at them.
Speaker 4: But my son mocked me from my attempt at Japanese.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean fair enough. Did you hear how I said that? Then? I mean it was okay.
Speaker 3: I don't know what what were you Sayings?
Speaker 2: Is it you full formed character? Thank you? Thank you very much, mel Streams.
Speaker 4: And I know that's what I'm Sayings got to kazimas so lewis traveling with tree suns.
Speaker 2: They'll humiliate you.
Speaker 3: I mean traveling with them. They would say, traveling with mom humiliated me.
Speaker 4: Okay, they would, But Lewis started doing this thing where he would mock my accent every time I tried to speak Japanese, and then you know it starts off funny.
Speaker 3: Well, it's just like when my mom used to order food in an accent when she was ordering for the family. If my mom called her restaurant, yeah, what she'd order in a bloody accent.
Speaker 4: Which you're not going to audition demon state from correct. I talked you about my friend's dad who used to add a Chinese restaurant, go to crab Crawl. We'd always been like, not to the way, don't say crab craw.
Speaker 2: Anyway. What do we always secretly say to each other? What crab claw? Anyway? So, Lewis, have you got him there? Okay, call him.
Speaker 4: I'm just going to say this is what every time we spoke Japanese.
Speaker 2: Just Louis Lewis's buck up debuty. I think.
Speaker 3: So dramatic when we call.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure about the tea taste at the start.
Speaker 3: That's not good.
Speaker 2: The caller, I love you, it's really terrible. It's not going to.
Speaker 3: He answered his mom, I.
Speaker 2: Answer the phone. No, SA, she's calling. I understand why it's not answer. She's like a mother to him.
Speaker 3: I getting a teenage way to answer a call. That's a huge gay, you know, roment for the I know.
Speaker 2: His girlfriend gets upset because he doesn't answer the phone.
Speaker 3: Just text. What on earth couldn't just be a text? We always think that what what on earth couldn't be a text? Like when someone your mother's text it.
Speaker 2: I'll get to it.
Speaker 4: No, you know, there's some things that require and also sometimes you need the warm.
Speaker 5: Anyway, we just went to one hundred so quick.
Speaker 2: Your mother look to.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: You want as for an example, anyway, I can't forget him moved on dead to me.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to say this one thing to you.
Speaker 4: Yes, high trust society. So I would say it to the kids all the time. High trust society. You don't litter, You wait, you're very respectful, You wait for other people to get off the train before you get on. They just make you be better, and it's really exhausting. At one point I said better, I'm done with this country carrying a bag full of litter around until I can dispose bowing to people of Constant. I'm too big for them, too big, you too better. They taste in the mouth unpleasant, unpleasant. Anyway, this summed just perfectly what it means to live in a hydrast society, and we don't have it.
Speaker 2: So we went.
Speaker 4: We went to Harrodjuku, where the Harrodjuku girls are of Gwen Stefani fame. Right, we'd been there before the kids were little. Then we took them back now and it's a big scene on the weekend.
Speaker 2: It's fun.
Speaker 4: You know, there's some people dressed up, and there's lots of little Lamewys and kookie shops and lots of Lalita girls think.
Speaker 3: Some like cool punk rock or they love like heavy met Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they love that. They love you. Yeah. We did a lot of vintage shopping. I mean like a gig. Oh no, no, no, we didn't know. We didn't go to rock.
Speaker 4: There were a lot of rock bars anyway, this girl. So we were down in this train station and there was a Starbucks and Peter went, oh, I really feel like a frappuccino. That Constant quest to just get a coffee frappucino, whereas they've got all these flavors in Starbucks. I don't understand anyway, this is what happened in the Starbucks, and I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: It was a tiny little shop, so.
Speaker 4: It was probably the size of two bedrooms, right, crammed with people, everyone, every table full.
Speaker 3: So Starbucks pumps in Japan.
Speaker 4: There's no, no, not not particularly, but they've got everything's a chain, but they're mostly Japanese chained, so we're like, we're happy with that, and a lot of individual restaurants. Anyway, this girl comes in dressed really beautifully. She's got a little Chanelle's suit on and a handbag. They're very well dressed, and she's got shopping bags dangling from every wrist. She comes in, she sees a table, She heads straight for the table. She puts her shopping bag on the chair, she puts her handbag, her handbag on the table, She leaves it and comes to where we are standing like twenty feet away from her. She orders and waits for her drink while her shopping and her handbag is unattended in a train's station with twenty million people.
Speaker 2: Hang on, wait, wait, wait, hang on. I couldn't tell if that.
Speaker 3: Was like celebrating high trust or you're angry at her for doing that and taking us. I love it, you imagine, So did you steal.
Speaker 2: In the bow?
Speaker 4: You know that's my first thought because I'm not a high trust society it is your guccie.
Speaker 2: Bag had got to becazemas for the sulvanir bag. The tussles stower bucks girl. How's that just a concept?
Speaker 4: And so Peter and I were like, I don't think they widely travel abroad, but gee, they must get a shock when they come and they see how fat and dirty we are with our dirty bottoms.
Speaker 2: Amazing welcome home. It was just wait till I write my book.
Speaker 3: And I'm so happy you survived economy class.
Speaker 2: On the way home.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, that was really a woman of the people. That was really something. One of the flight atteen.
Speaker 2: Women of the people.
Speaker 4: Peter said to me, she doesn't think you belong here. This flight attendant was so nice to me. She kept bringing me extra little things.
Speaker 2: She could tell. It wasn't right. I said to Peter, do you feel like do you feel like you know how? You just bang on about high trust society banged on, banged on? Interesting? Isn't the language interesting?
Speaker 3: You have to speak up and bang on to I can over your tartles.
Speaker 4: Okay, banged on and now it's time for him to wake up. Go on, look hag On big really banged on.
Speaker 3: Very popular podcast r I p.
Speaker 2: Rip Rip with our friends. Okay, so go on, I forgot. I was going to start giving you a buck up.
Speaker 3: Oh you say high trust society. I want to celebrate cash society. I want cash back, Kate. What a few weeks ago talking my l A few weeks ago, I did a gig old school envelope in the hand at the end of the gig right, good paid gig like a garade, So you got award? I got a ward right, and I was it was in an envelope. I was like, this, kitty, it's like pretty and what.
Speaker 2: Right, let's just die?
Speaker 3: This is what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, I thought you were dude the usual in.
Speaker 2: Voice, what do you the money? Shadow? Hello? The money around? Can't you? I think I can't get the bank and it would take and the clear.
Speaker 3: Do you want to be my manager?
Speaker 2: That was really good, that cash.
Speaker 3: So I was shocked that they got the cash and I thank you. And I haven't had cash in ages. I've got a twenty or a ten here.
Speaker 2: And now no one has.
Speaker 4: And you know what that has side note, guess who's been put out of business as a result too.
Speaker 2: I am my guard, Oh my.
Speaker 3: God, gone on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know you used to see them all the time, and always fantasy always impairs and fantasize about how you hold up the truck.
Speaker 3: You look at them and go, I could take them on, Na, you.
Speaker 2: Can buy the whole company for twenty parts.
Speaker 3: So for the last few weeks of my life, I have been using oh cash, and there is something I know. I've earned it and it's real money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't feel real.
Speaker 3: No, everything feels free. It's like that was cash. But hello to our hospital workers, Hello to our cafe bart listening the looks I am getting love looks, No you aren't getting I am. I'm trying to pay with cash and they're like, are you s stilling me?
Speaker 2: Cafes No, cafes love cash.
Speaker 3: Not the ones I've been going to. I've been getting what are you going to?
Speaker 2: Ones in darbles. But they're trying to start a one world government.
Speaker 3: They've got to give you change.
Speaker 2: They don't mind. They love the cash.
Speaker 3: What's really shifted what I've been buying my groceries with cash. I have not done that. Yes, I don't think I've ever done.
Speaker 2: That in my entire life. And do you know what.
Speaker 4: Using the machine, use some self check social credit score, there's going to be a big glitch of two weeks where they're like, what happened to him in that time?
Speaker 2: Because they can track everything.
Speaker 3: Fine, I am paying cash. And let me tell you, you think you're young and your hip and you're cool and you're with Katelin and Brook, nothing will aid you more than fishing in money into a self shared checkout at Wallly's. I'm crouched over to it. I'm like, where does the fifty go? I'm pushing it. That's the wrong one, that's the one where it comes out.
Speaker 4: But actually that makes you seem young. No, they've got young ones wouldn't know how to do it. The old ones would all know how to do it.
Speaker 3: And then I'm putting it in the lady's looking at me like what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Playing with money? They love cash in Japan. Yeah, they love cash in Japan.
Speaker 3: Cash back, bring cash back. I'm the richest person in the worst back the second buck, two bucks for you too bad, two bucks. You don't have to be careful with coffee and all stimulants, right.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, a.
Speaker 3: Few months ago I had my first Vietnamese iced coffee.
Speaker 2: You remember, Oh yeah, that condensed milk. Condensed milk blowsion, the sugar explosions, the sugarshes.
Speaker 3: The coffee, the anxiety. There was a wild run.
Speaker 2: You said you had two hours of absolute peaking, running around a room. Yeah, alone.
Speaker 3: After the toilet, every five minutes going.
Speaker 4: This is the best thing I've ever had. Longing for a Japanese flash.
Speaker 3: I have a new coffee experience similar, but god, it was good. It's taking a wanky wanky Melbourne Cafes by storm.
Speaker 2: So not everyone has this. What is it?
Speaker 3: It is called a mont Black. You say a B B L A CS and you pronounced black.
Speaker 2: I'd say so.
Speaker 4: Mont Blanc is a famous mountain and a pin. It's not mont Blanc, which is a famous mountain called mont Blanc. Blanc has in white because it's got snow on the top of it.
Speaker 2: Proceed.
Speaker 3: These are the ingredients mont black Cold drip coffee about cold.
Speaker 4: It's cold drip more powerful, but it's cold drip like what the Americans do know the percola?
Speaker 2: No, I don't know. No, because and it's not weaker. Why is it cold drip?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But does it come out cold? It's cold.
Speaker 3: It's a cold drink like you're buying a can. No, I got it from a cafe.
Speaker 2: What are you asking? Well, I did proceed.
Speaker 3: I don't know, like filter ish, I'm guessing some sort of filter coffee whatever?
Speaker 2: Cream?
Speaker 3: Yeah, worm, whipped whipped No? No, okay, orange zest?
Speaker 2: What? Nutmeg? And sugar syrup? And it was so and it's small. Get that?
Speaker 4: Were you a Gloria Jean, No, that's a Gloria Jean coffee.
Speaker 2: Cool?
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was small too.
Speaker 3: It wasn't as big as a small when you say smallish like yeah that yeah, okay, all right, I loved it so much.
Speaker 2: Well that's a delicious dream.
Speaker 3: And I pinned off my face for three hours.
Speaker 2: Well, basically, I can't wait to tell the buck. Aside from the orange and the what was the spice? Nutmeg? Nutmeg?
Speaker 4: Aspide from that, you basically just made a Vietnamese coffee cream and sugar syrup.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I found my head made. That's what it was like.
Speaker 3: Overpriced and winking with expensive together.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll have one at the next show.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not shitting my pants in front of two hundred buckets.
Speaker 2: No, I mean a show in here. What did it make you put your pants? No? I mean I was in control.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, I was a busy boy. Let's just say I needed a Japanese dog. Really really, but I was a busy boy.
Speaker 2: Hang on a seat.
Speaker 3: I'm very sensitive to stimulate. Okay, all right, all right, right, your mom's dead.
Speaker 2: We're buck We're But I've got a message for people.
Speaker 4: You know, there's a saying. I think it's from the Bible. Actually must be, because it's got involving God.
Speaker 3: I should remember this as a Catholic boy.
Speaker 2: God makes it rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. Right, that's the gift.
Speaker 4: You know, people go through life and they go wide as why do bad why these bad people thriving or whatever?
Speaker 2: Because that is this life. Yeah, that's how life works.
Speaker 4: But here's some good news that I have learnt firsthand that even if you're a bad person, and I think we've established on this podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm not the worst. No, I know worse. Yeah, I'm not the worst, but I'm not a good person, you know, and I don't. I don't those people that want to align themselves with constant goodness. It's not why people say to me, you're so nice. I'm like, I'm actually not so. Don't it just anyway?
Speaker 3: Yes you are, you're kind to people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no I'm not. I find honesty very kind. Well I do cruel to be kind.
Speaker 3: You're not cruel to be kind.
Speaker 2: That's what honesty is.
Speaker 3: Yeah. People that think being honest is cruel, they're what issues they've got to deal with it.
Speaker 4: Well, see, you're one of my people, so we get on. You're not nice either, and she's lovely.
Speaker 3: She's the nice one out of Kate and I.
Speaker 2: Oh, like you know what that was? No, it wasn't you know what. It was like a cat watching a laser. She was just like so you could say she was.
Speaker 4: Trying to make it, but nothing would make sense of it.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't work as someone that's not nice.
Speaker 2: No, no, but it's not it would say not nice.
Speaker 4: Our industry is full of correct but well we're not them. But they all cloak themselves in that fate niceness. It's like whenever I meet normies and they say what's so and so like, oh, and I was like.
Speaker 2: Eh, really nice. And I have to lie on behalf of them.
Speaker 4: It's like when my girlfriend was a mistress, I had to lie on behalf.
Speaker 3: Of her secret going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, keep the secret going anyway.
Speaker 4: Whatever, we're not the business of the outing people for being assholes, or we'd be very busy anyway. My point is I'm not selling myself as a good person. And if you want to be find a good person, this is not the podcast for you.
Speaker 2: If you want some resilient, interesting.
Speaker 4: Funny here we go people, then this is the podcast for you. Up yeah for sharing it with your friends.
Speaker 2: Love that share it with your friends anyway.
Speaker 4: So God makes it rain on the righteous and the unright. And sometimes if you're a bad person, good.
Speaker 2: Things happened to you. And that's what happened to me. What happened all right?
Speaker 4: So when we were going to Japan, and you know, there was a five days skiing and there was a source of concern, moderate lip service concern from my husband.
Speaker 2: Well, what are you going to do for five days? I hope you're not bored? Do you know me? Would I be bored?
Speaker 4: Having five days on my ownis my Dear of Heaven.
Speaker 2: There was WiFi. Just have them at night. Oh yeah they came. Yeah, yeah, you're just having annoying.
Speaker 4: Anyway, stunning until Lewis took two days off skiing and then we hung out together. Anyway, But what the point was? You know, I'm writing a book this year and it's one of my many extra jobs I've got, and it's.
Speaker 2: A romance book. It's a narrative.
Speaker 4: And when I was going away, I'd say to my manager, I've got this, and my publisher, I've got these five days when we're in the snow.
Speaker 2: I'm not skiing. I'm just going to write.
Speaker 3: And if Stephen King movies have taught me anything, oh my gods, where writers right your dirty right in the snow. Watched that the other week and it's incredible, still unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Baits is, yeah, unbelievable, so great. But do you have you read the book Misery?
Speaker 3: The book he actually did a very long time.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you know in the book they change it to the movie, and the movie is actually more effective.
Speaker 2: I think they hobble him in that. She hobbles him in the in the in the movie, doesn't she she cripples by bashing his ankle.
Speaker 3: Ties ties his legs to a plank of wood. Yeah, rather ankle.
Speaker 2: In the book, she cuts his foot.
Speaker 3: Off, probably kill him. That had to change it.
Speaker 4: Well, because wasn't she.
Speaker 2: And then that's revealed that she's an a.
Speaker 3: Nurse revealed in the movie history of being hospitals like killing them or tormenting them spoiler anyway, that was me in the snuff.
Speaker 2: Spoiler imagine, dang you.
Speaker 4: I was about to enjoy that forty year old movie and they have ruined the ending. Anyway, So the whole time that we're in Tokyo and going on the trip, and even beforehand, I was like, I'm going to be writing these five days. It's going to be intense.
Speaker 2: I have to break the back of it. I'm sort of. It was on the back of my mind all the time, right in the back of my mind.
Speaker 4: And then so the first day that everyone went up to the thing, I was setting myself up. I was reading another book and I'm like, oh, this is interesting. Just to get juices flowing, Jesus, I did think about asking Sash, how would I get Ai if I put the character anyway, So the next day I'm like, I get as soon as they leave. They were leaving early to go to the snow. They were getting picked up, like at eight forty. I was like, today's my writing day. I get out my iPad that I've been carrying my carry on. I unpack it, I get my Logitech keyboard.
Speaker 2: I start typing. I put in the name of the chapter, and I'm like, that's weird. I was trying to write the and it kept typing TE and it wouldn't put the H. And I'm like, banging on the H. Banging on the H is gone. My H was gone?
Speaker 3: I go, My AH was gone. Can you see?
Speaker 2: I think my m was gone?
Speaker 3: Few. I couldn't we're tight here we go.
Speaker 2: I couldn't convenient tired. That's what when Peter came out, it was the first question the boys all had because it had been on.
Speaker 4: Everyone knew that Mum was writing. I was writing. The first thing they said was how did you writing?
Speaker 2: Go? And I said, I couldn't do any of the I pad and we were in the middle of nowhere in the snow. I couldn't just whip.
Speaker 3: There was zero sympathy in the studio sympathy.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying is it was the greatest.
Speaker 3: Actually could I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I couldn't.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't you know what they say the worst part about writing is writing writing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, people say I hate writing, but I love having written.
Speaker 2: But then there was one thing, just slightly. I didn't like that. Peter said to me, did you stand on it before?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't want to write. I just just say thought that. I but how magnificent magget. I was scared to tell my manager take that, publisher.
Speaker 3: I love yeahline, I'm sorry my arquie didn't work. Before we get to a text from mum, which is a Pearler this week?
Speaker 2: By the way, is it lean? Oh, it's a Buckwhitt. We've got a couple.
Speaker 3: Will choose one and another one we love will do next week Bucket send him over us to change names.
Speaker 2: We will tex No. Before that, Oh good. I want you to.
Speaker 3: Pick aside here in a fight that Cody and I have been having for ten years.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love this. Ten does his head in? Oh? I love it. Look at your eyes because you do. And you know what we've got.
Speaker 4: You know, I think we understand why Cody spends so much time running, don't we? Because him coming home to you. You've got cabin fever, always by virtual the fact that you don't leave.
Speaker 2: I only got pockets full of cabs.
Speaker 4: Eyes are just you're always looking for trouble to be starting shit up with Cody.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: I've never approved of a quality in someone more. But that's why that he's always.
Speaker 2: Running little shits.
Speaker 4: There are next you know what he's going to do next year, What run across Antarctica?
Speaker 2: What he can not handle?
Speaker 3: And he gets so frustrated when I put petrol in the car.
Speaker 2: Oh, you don't fill it out. I don't feel it. Oh no, Valo, meet Sasha Freench.
Speaker 3: You're the same.
Speaker 2: Ah you people.
Speaker 3: So when I fill up the car, he says, when do you know to stop? And do you know what my answer is, because it's the truth. It's just a vibe check. It's just whatever I feel like, that's what such. So I put the nozzle in. Here comes the petrol, and I might give it twenty bucks, thirty bucks, whatever I'm in the mood for, what I've got on for the day, what the weather is. There's so many factors at play. If there's a car behind me, are you medicated? Sometimes I am?
Speaker 2: Yeah, make a difference. When I don't make a difference.
Speaker 3: If I'm medicated, you can fill it out maybe, but yeah, so what Yeah, that's not the argument.
Speaker 2: No, but it's interesting now you're prob far right when it suits you. So he just I see his eye twitch. Yeah, I put a quarter in half a in. Why do you like going to put petrol in the.
Speaker 3: Cart like it's gonna eventually put you like you like putting petrol eventually?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but with a certain amount of output from you.
Speaker 3: So you go absolute full every single time you go to the servo chent op every single time.
Speaker 2: See, but you do not. No, I don't know, but you told me you've because I hear your voice in my head every recent time, and there are times I fill up now, But there are also times when I'm like a hazy boyfriend about it. Does he feel your car? Never you car he drives? You know your dirty little secret? Did you have a car accident? Sash? Your cars are banged up on my side when I pulled out. That's from years ago.
Speaker 4: Anyway, that's always the side I get in on the passenger side.
Speaker 2: I've never noticed. I think I'm with Cody. You're going to be with me? No, I'm not, and you know why, only because it's such a false economy.
Speaker 3: This is where you draw the line your yair and toothbrushes yew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this is the heel, this is the heill.
Speaker 4: No, you know why because I think for so many years I was so povo that I could only put ten dollars of petrol in my car, and you know, you eke it out. But then one of my great pleasures in life is filling up the not a pleasure, I don't like it, but I hate the job of it so much. I'm like, I want to do this job as little as possible.
Speaker 2: So when you leave the petrol station.
Speaker 3: When I used to leave Saturday night church with the family, I was in the best mood ever, like the Simpsons.
Speaker 2: Because he'd had it because.
Speaker 3: It's the part of the week where the next church is the furthest away it will.
Speaker 2: Be yes, yes, right, that's exactly right. So I don't have to. I just never want to be pulling into service stations to fill up my card on board. How often do you end up doing it in a week? Mate? Sometimes three?
Speaker 3: Tell him, I say, I you've got such an issue with it, you do it? And then he goes, does he do? Sometimes he goes another?
Speaker 2: I love it. I do love that last night, nothing more than when Peter tops up me tank and when he puts petrol in my car.
Speaker 3: Who does he go forward like whoo whoa, who whoo whoo woo whooah wooo whoa.
Speaker 2: He's high octane about a bad bad, bad bad as he's diesel rapid flow diesel. Hello, he's not going green? Oh no, he's no matcher match a flavored petrol.
Speaker 3: It's a text from.
Speaker 2: Mom, It's a text from Can we just reflect on this for a moment? Sure? One of the ironies in life that the dabbler has finally been he's been backed up in an argument by me Callisi eight and he's one of my daggins.
Speaker 3: Thanks, you're like a stalker because you write him little notes for me to give him. Can we get little gifts and nice stuff? You give this to Cody, write you're missing out on dabbler, and then they take it home to it.
Speaker 4: And then he's like, but look, he got backed up in the argument. But because he's only a dirty dabbler, he'll probably never have this moment of vindication.
Speaker 2: He just got back from South Africa.
Speaker 1: What was he doing?
Speaker 3: It's a awfu the chicken. I'm like, he has a job that involves a lot of travel, or this guy has got a secret family somewhere. There's no proof he was on the flight that was.
Speaker 2: I don't know what.
Speaker 4: About his points? He must be racking up points. You're going to have the greatest Does he fly bees?
Speaker 3: I'm going to say the wonkier sentence that anyone can. Okay, and like a thirteen year old girl when I say this, is everyone ready?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my husband's platinum. Oh he's a ploody dog.
Speaker 4: I don't even know what it means, but I know at schooled he's a plotty dog.
Speaker 2: And what does that mean? Can he can go anywhere? Not me? But like, but Connie, you're his husband, but.
Speaker 3: We hardly travel together. We we are together on a plane like once or twice a year if that.
Speaker 4: Well, yes that's normal, idiot, because we have the plan both buying a lot.
Speaker 2: But it's all just for work. You're not Megan and Harry as is what is it? As as eva as as ever as ever?
Speaker 3: Sorry, my husband's a putin and what does that means?
Speaker 2: I don't know what I actually don't know what it means. He means means just it's a lot of points.
Speaker 3: But it means he gets like the seat next to him gets blocked if when it's not sold out, he gets like all the good rows if he wants if he says, why would.
Speaker 2: That block a seat in business next to.
Speaker 3: He doesn't have to fly business even in economy, he flands.
Speaker 2: Economy or sometimes what is he me his work pays for it, the successful one in the relationship in his economy.
Speaker 3: That's why I love his secret husband.
Speaker 2: Is that to be terrible?
Speaker 3: I've met some men that fills the petrol take up all the way and Cody fell for it.
Speaker 2: Where's the interest in that? Exactly? Yeah.
Speaker 4: Never go out with anyone who's got the same skill set as you.
Speaker 3: That's so true.
Speaker 2: Never, that's why I'm married, yeshy smart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, water's plants, Yeah, that's it fills all your wholes. Hello, we have a text from mom from Oriana, Oriana, that beautiful name, Oriana Italian.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, in fact, I'm going to tell you an Anne Lange Brooks story.
Speaker 2: That's my mother.
Speaker 4: And I was waiting for the story when I was at school. And you know you don't know what you want to study. And I especially didn't my guidance teacher or whatever. My English teacher or whatever said you're really good at English, one that you study journalism. I didn't know anything about journalism. So I go home and I'd say to my mom, I think I'm going to apply for journalism.
Speaker 2: And mom goes, oh, you're going to be a real Orianna Falerci. And I go, who's Oriana Falaci? Mum goes, you want to.
Speaker 3: Be a journalist and you don't even know who Orianna?
Speaker 2: For LUNCHI is. I'm like, no, I don't know that is my mother.
Speaker 3: But who's a journalist?
Speaker 4: She's a journalist, some journalists, probably from the nineteen sixties, some Italian. But like she's screams, not screams, but bellows at me in Queensland.
Speaker 2: I was seventeen, like you, I don't know who. Everyone loves my mom, that's all. Yeah, everyone loves her.
Speaker 3: She filled the car up, wouldn't She's got to real fill the car up to its full.
Speaker 2: Not only does she fill it up, but she's got a supermarket docket. Yes, and you know, okay, can we just raise this what's going on with those supermarket dockets. They've been four cents off literally for twenty five years.
Speaker 3: What crank it up? Well, I'm sorry, but if inflation goes up, so does my discount.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't, I don't do it. I've never done that. I should too. I was alloyed.
Speaker 4: Literally, I went, I've got the back seat full of shopping. There's a docket in there, and I couldn't be bothered taking it out.
Speaker 3: You can just you know, you can attach your account.
Speaker 2: You're not attaching any phone. You're a cash person now, you're not attaching shep.
Speaker 3: The amount of things I don't do properly because I can't be bothered with one extra tar.
Speaker 2: But you have no loyal you're a cash person. Any loyalty now you're a cash person. You don't. Yeah, that's you know what. You're not a slave to the system. You're a cashy. Hear that you're a cashy. Reward points? Ye wish I've got that? Four things? I want a discount. Oh, I'm getting wrapped up.
Speaker 3: My husband is platinum Oreana text from mum Oriana Falaci and Savord for therapy the Calo.
Speaker 4: Down.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: The reason I love this text from him so much is because my mum did this. I would love to know if you did this or no, if Buckhead's mums have done this, Sash, I reckon, you've done it. Here we go, all right, Orianna's mum text that heard this, just letting you know that this is a bag of your hair from when it was long. You're a kid?
Speaker 2: Do you want it? And attached is a bag? Look at that hair? My goodness, why do you keep ship? Okay, you're one hundred percent creepy. You know.
Speaker 4: I've got ring boxes full of teeth and I've got envelopes full of hair.
Speaker 3: What happens to the hair? Doesn't it's something happened to it one Okay, I really have to be attached to a human to live.
Speaker 4: Okay, No, it's all deep. Once it leaves the scalp, hair is all dead.
Speaker 2: I get.
Speaker 3: I'm not thinking it's growing in the envelope, but like.
Speaker 2: Disintegrate eventually. No, I don't think so. Actually that's really interesting.
Speaker 3: Would be even weird if you put it in some sort of like jar and it's floating in liquid.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's so Once hair leaves, whose hair have you got? I've got lewises and I've got Sundays. I'm not going to tell you why I've got lewises or really sharp shot.
Speaker 3: Okay, well yeah, off.
Speaker 4: And then she totally ruined the conversation with cancer. She just brought up his cancer. Yes, hair, But one day Sunday came in.
Speaker 3: Did that start it for you?
Speaker 2: For the for Sunday? No, I think he'd already cut Sunday's hair. She came in one morning. You know, kids, if you don't get out of bed with them, they get up to all thoughts cut in air.
Speaker 4: And then she came in one morning in the dark and she said, shut my hair and weed. And I reached out and I could just feel like much more face than I could normally feel. And as I stroked the side of a head of a giant clump came out. We've got that the envelope, You've got Milo's hairsash, Yes, that's enough.
Speaker 3: How was how old was Milo when he went snipping?
Speaker 2: It would have been like two. Did he cut himself? Oh? Yeah, because he had long hairy Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the teeth, the teeth, that's even I think that's even more.
Speaker 2: I don't know, why do you do? What would you do with them? No? The question is what do you do with them? Well? What? But no, you can't get rid of them? What am I going to do? Throw them in the bin?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean what happened in the teeth fall out? When you're a kid in the tooth throw your child's tooth in the bin, you know.
Speaker 3: I think about, well, why aren't dad's allowed to do this? If someone went to a single dad's house and found that he had school uniforms, teeth and sandwich bags of the little girl's hair, he'd be arrested.
Speaker 2: But her mom does it. It's cute. Would you like me to answer? Go on, I think you know the answer.
Speaker 3: Please message us again and tell us, Yeah, did you take the hair?
Speaker 2: Collected the hair? Because Kate wants it. It's gonna add it to a bag.
Speaker 4: No, I don't carry I'm not a creep. I don't collect stranger's hair.
Speaker 2: Have you ever worn wigs? Yeah? The human wigs?
Speaker 3: No for for TV and stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, never human? Not in life.
Speaker 3: I've never worn a week Well life, are you drunk?
Speaker 2: Stop talking? I'm devastated with the match at Kaloa.
Speaker 4: The buck Up podcast is hosted by me, Kate Lanebrook and him Nathan Valvo. It's produced by the brilliant Sasha French Audio and sound by the magnificent Yak Lawrence. You might call him Jack and Dom Evans are We're lucky