Speaker 1: Hihart podcasts, Hear More Kiss podcast playlist, and listen live on the free iHeart app. Now, Britt, have you seen the trend that is currently going viral on TikTok and it is parents quizzing their kids on really toxic sayings that they probably heard when they were growing up, when they were kids from their own parents.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I sort of not gonna lie. I have seen it, but I usually scoop.
Speaker 2: Past them because the kid content is not hugely.
Speaker 1: It's not you, it's not in your sphere.
Speaker 2: But I've seen them.
Speaker 3: They're sort of like those scenes on like kids should be seen and not heard.
Speaker 2: It's that kind of stuff, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know what, I saw one of these about two weeks ago, and it was the first one that I saw, and the response was really really beautiful from the little kid, and it was kind of this gorgeous full circle moment from a mum who had obviously had a really rough childhood, who had probably heard all these things from her parents, and then she would say the start of a really toxic sentence that we probably have all heard growing up at some different point, and then her child had to answer them. Have a little listen to how this goes down. Children should be seen and happy.
Speaker 2: Go accent, Yeah, okay, I brought you into this world from the hospital.
Speaker 1: From the hospital.
Speaker 2: And the other one is stop crying.
Speaker 3: I'll give you kimmy.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's so sweet. It really is.
Speaker 1: It is so sweet. Okay. So I want to read you some of these other really toxic sayings that are kind of like make up these viral clips. One of them was I'm your parent, not your friend. Is the answer to that?
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't even know what the answer maybe, and you need to quiz me on me.
Speaker 1: As long as you live under my roof, you will follow my rules. But it says, you know, they let the kids answer it. Another one is when you get to the store, don't touch anything, which I think a lot of parents probably still say to their kids.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's toxic, breaking you bought it.
Speaker 1: And the other one is just wait until your dad gets it's home.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Some of these are probably worse than others. I think the one that everyone kind of knew where it was going was I'll give you something to cry about. One of the things that I have loved so deeply about becoming a mom is how much it can heal your inner child, how you get to parent in a way that maybe wasn't exactly how you were parented, or you learned from the lessons. And I tried to do this with my kids. I didn't get the same outcome. Unfortunately, now they didn't know the toxic sentences. But I asked Lola, she understood the assignment. I asked Lola things like I brought you into this world, and she would say so that you can love me, or so that kids can be loved. It was very sweet.
Speaker 2: And I asked Marley the same ones.
Speaker 1: And I said, I brought you into this world and she said to buy me toys.
Speaker 2: So goodwie. I really had a bit of a back that kind of like spun around on me.
Speaker 1: But I think it's really beautiful that sometimes we see these trends and TikTok things and usually they're exploiting kids, and this one just was a really beautiful, feel good moment.
Speaker 3: I mean, I totally get some of those scenes that they're problematic, but there are some of them that I'm like, that's fine, Like I.
Speaker 2: Don't see the big deal.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's because I grew up in a safe, loving home, and so when they were said to me, they weren't said with any maliciousness or violence or anger. I understand it's probably dependent on the home that you've grown up in.
Speaker 1: But I think your parents would have said children should be seen and not hurt.
Speaker 3: That they did say that the mum had four kids about eighteen months apart, each single one and get out of this, but she would.
Speaker 2: Say it more like she would never say it, as if we weren't allowed to speak.
Speaker 3: But it was definitely a saying that was thrown around, Hey if we were interrupting, Hey, kids, did it be.
Speaker 2: See not heard? But it was more of a I don't want to say in Jess.
Speaker 3: But Mum would have also said way too, father gets home, But that was more because we took the piece a little.
Speaker 2: Bit with Mum, like we pulled one over it. And it was more because Dad was a disciplinarian.
Speaker 3: We weren't like a smacking family or anything, but you just knew that, like Dad was the one that set the rules.
Speaker 2: So we could sort of like poor Mum when.
Speaker 3: I look back, like you're like, we really tortur like we were hard on her.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Some of these are way worse than others. I don't think any kids should ever know the ending of a center. I brought you into this world, so I can take you out of it.
Speaker 2: No, that's what I'm saying. Some of them, I totally get.
Speaker 1: Others.
Speaker 3: I'm like, we're being a bit like too much with it, you know, Cotton dwol Well.
Speaker 1: I just thought it was a really nice, feel good and maybe if you guys want to check it out, you can do it with your own kids and see how well your parents do.