Speaker 1: It's late afternoon and you've got three AI tools running at once, browser tabs, multiplying, and your brain just stops working. You're not burnt out, but something is definitely wrong. Gabriella Rosen Callaman is a leader at Boston Consulting Group, and she actually decided to study that feeling and give it a name. AI brain fry. Brain fry is not the same as burnout. It doesn't follow the same rules, and the things that organizations are doing to fix it, well, some are actually making it worse. In this conversation, Gabriella and I get into who is getting hit hardest, why using more than three AI tools at once is where productivity falls off a cliff, and what managers are doing, often unknowingly that is adding fifteen percent more mental fatigue to their teams. This episode really changed how I think about my own AI use, and I hope it does the same for you. Also, just a quick heads up, there's a little bit of background noise at the very start of this episode. Record it early so it clears up quickly to stick with us.
Speaker 2: Welcome to How I Work, a show about habits, rituals, and strategies for optimizing your day. I'm your host, doctor Amantha imber.
Speaker 1: Gabriella. Your article all about brain fry for HBr went completely nuts? Can you tell me what is brain fry? For those that have no idea.
Speaker 3: I'll start by giving you the definition that we used in the study, and then I'll break it down kind of in layman's terms. So we define it as mental fatigue caused by excessive use or oversight of AI tools beyond what one's cognitive capacity. And think of that as like a strain of your brain from over using AI in mentally intense ways.
Speaker 1: And how is that different from just burnout?
Speaker 3: Let me start by actually explaining how we came to do this study to begin with, which was we were really interested in what is the relationship of burnout to the use of AI tools at work? And it turns out in the literature that it's very unclear. So some studies suggest that when you use a lot of AI tools at work, it makes the workload lighter, it gives you more free time, and it decreases burnout. And then other studies suggest that when people are using more AI tools at work for a variety of unclear reasons and mechanisms, that may be increasing burnout, and it even happens to be the case that there's a whole literature studying radiologists and whether radiologists in part particular have increased or decreased burnout because of the use of AI tools. So we were very interested to study it, and in particular, as you may be aware, there is more and more usage of multi agents at work, meaning you're not just using one AI tool at once, you're using multiple agents at once. Sometimes the agents are working with each other. And what we found was that indeed there's this way of using AI very intensively. We're really trying to keep up with these tools and use a lot of them at once, and it's very cognitively intense, and it produces this experience that we call AI brain fry that does not have a relationship with burnout, doesn't increase burnout, doesn't decrease burnout. And then we did see that totally different type of AI use, which is using a I to replace repetitive tasks at work, decreases burnout. But we hopefully also started to advance the conversation about the extent to which burnout as a construct is no longer sufficient to help us understand the domains of strain that will be raised in the new era of AI work.
Speaker 1: I find that's so interesting the distinction. Now in your research, you look at the different types of roles or different functional areas within an organization, and interestingly, marketing people had the highest rates of brain for it. I think it was twenty six percent. What's going on there, Like, how are marketing people different from say, finance people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's a great question. The first thing I'll say is that it's possible that marketing is on the higher end, but maybe there will be other roles that spake higher in future studies. What we did see in general is that roles that are more operationally heavy, roles that are more technically heavy, seem to be spiking higher than other roles. And indeed, in marketing there is a lot of operational lenses that are brought to the use of AI, things like monitoring content, looking at optimizing content particularly, and like search engine optimization, you know, question and answer optimization. Marketing is one of the domains where a lot of the roles have been most disrupted by AI in terms of the specific skills and responsibilities. So in a way, it wasn't surprising to us to see that. I just want to be cautious in how we extrapolate from that to the level of certainty that we can get to.
Speaker 1: So your research found that it's about AI oversight specifically as opposed to using AI, say for automating or you know, offloading repetitive tasks. Can you explain what AI oversight is specifically like instead of day to day layman's terms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it means quite a lot of things. But if you've ever inn with an AI agent, you'll notice that you're going to give it a prompt, it's going to give you something back. You're going to respond to that. You are directing the agent at work. That agent might be responsible for actually delivering value, let's say some analysis or delivering code. Right, So, to the extent that you are then responsible for the output of that agent or that tool, you are overseeing it, and your domain of responsibility now extends to that agent. In a way, you could say that you are managing that agent as a manager. It's different type of management, but it is true that your sphere of accountability has increased. The activities include decision making, error correction, feedback, prompts, monitoring all kinds of interactions that are required in order to oversee that agent.
Speaker 1: And so in terms of the language around agents, so that could just be Chetchjpat or co pilot or Claude or Gemini as opposed to true a gentiki.
Speaker 3: Those are agents. So many of those it could be those things. It could be agents that are running other agents and you are responding to sort of the orchestrator layer. Sometimes some of the folks in the study talked about agents that are running longer processes and then sort of feeding back to them and they then have to go through and figure out what may have gone wrong at various points in the process, so unwinding it versus the more conversational agents where it's more one step at a time. But yes, all of those things could be under the umbrella of oversight and monitoring.
Speaker 1: And it was interesting because you looked at how many AI tools increase productivity, and then there was this productivity cleif with productivity tanked after I think it was about three AI tools. Why is two or three AI tools the optimal number? And what happens after that?
Speaker 3: For those who haven't seen the study, what we did was we asked people how many tools are you using at once, and it was open ended. Many people said one, many people said two, one person said twenty five, and then everything in between. And then we you know, we asked all kinds of other questions, including things like how much has AI increased your productivity at work? It happened to be the case there was a really interesting relationship between those two particular items, such that this self reported productivity increased through AI increased with multiple use of tools from one to two, from two to three, but then beyond three that self reported increased decreased, the point being there is diminishing returns beyond about two to three tools. It may vary by person. By the way, our brains are not all the same. I think it's important also to not like this is timestamped to January of twenty twenty six and to the generation of tools that we have right now. Oftentimes, what is a mean to work with these tools all at once is the tools have processing times, and so maybe it's the case that in the windows, where one tool is processing, you can go to another tool and turn your attention and then it's sort of like a triangle of rotation between the tools, and if there's faster processing times, maybe you can't do that. Another thing that didn't make the cut of the study of what we were able to fit into the publication that I'd love to share is that we saw a similar pattern of the peak at three for the sophistication of the users of those tools. So we have at BCG a categorization of AI sophistication that's really just about how long you've been working with AI tools, how well you know how to work with orchestrateor agents and autonomous layers, and it helps us see how do we learn to get better with the tools over time and therefore say things about like what's the limitation of someone's experienced curve or learning curve versus the tools, let's say, or some interaction between human and AI that's more fundamental. And what we see is that it seems to be that the most sophisticated users tend to prefer to be around three. So there are the folks who are hanging out, you know, maybe at the twenty five that I mentioned are probably not the most sophisticated users are probably folks who are still a little bit earlier in their learning curve. Obviously, they're not the earliest, but there's some wisdom that's coming into play around. It's not about like maxing out the number of tools you can use at once. It's really finding that sweet spot of productivity where it feels good to your brain. You have that feeling of mastery and yet you're getting that boost from the tools with the productivity.
Speaker 1: I think about my own use of AI, and it's really interesting, you know that you point out, Okay, this study is time dated to January twenty twenty six. And depending on what I'm asking my AI tools to do, and I'm generally more of a claud user, although I'll sometimes go into chat TOPT for certain things. Is that you know, processing times do vary. Like if I'm asking the AI tool to do some deep research on a topic and meanwhile I might have another tab or task open that is, perhaps I'm working with it to edit some content. Then I know for me, and I mean, I know how bad multitasking and context switching is for my brain as a psychologist, but I find myself doing it quite a bit. When I'm using the AI tools to help augment or save time on whatever it is that I'm doing, I'm curious is that something you can relate to in your gabriella And I'm wondering what behaviors have you changed around how you're interacting with AI since doing this study.
Speaker 3: One fascinating thing in the in the qualitative descriptions of brain fry, there was a lot of task switching that was mentioned as we ask people what does brain fry feel like and when have you experienced it? A lot of discussion of you know, I'm bouncing between browser tabs and what it feels like to go from tool to tool. I think that element of AI is very much connected to the broader issue of digital overload, which you know, we've been talking about for a couple of decades now. So for me taking breaks having like true no digital slots and I do at least twenty for hours breaks from the digital once a week. I think having breaks at work where I do phone calls instead of zoom calls and I'm away from my computer and just talking and doing the audio is really really helpful and restorative. I think right now where there is like a feeling of excitement and such deep engagement with the AI tools and a feeling of like, look at this magic that's very hard to pull away from. So the more we can be aware of the fact that just being engaged in this hyper busy way with our computers, with any kind of digital tool, there are brain networks we can't access when we operate that way, and knowing to take those breaks and take those digital detox moments, you will feel different, right, It feels different in your brain and your body when you step away from these devices phones too, like that the audio is fine, but the internet, the email, that's all part of the same thing is a very important part of my routine as well.
Speaker 1: Now you give some recommendations for what leaders and managers can do for their teams that are presumably using AI quite frequently. What are sort of the top ways that managers can improve this brain for our situation?
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you for asking. One of the most useful parts of this study was we were able to demonstrate these strong predictive relationships between manager behaviors, team practices and organizational factors and mental fatigue. And these factors were all AI related. So at the manager level, the two most important factors that we found on the one hand, when managers spend more time answering their employee questions around AI that predicted fifteen percent less mental fatigue for the members of their team, which is a huge number. And the way I tell myself the story of that is that this is a manager who's leaning into the inner personal time, the human relationships, the care and the support for the team. You know, in the best case scenario, these tools are giving us more time for that. They're giving us more time to feel connected, to feel that sense of belonging in community, and we're experiencing them together as a team. When the manager is showing up that way, that is having a sense of you know, slve, it's really showing this decreased effect on the mental fatigue of the team. And then the inverse of that came through as well, in the sense that there was a five percent increase in mental fatigue of the team. When the manager is setting an expectation that the employees should just be learning how to use the tools on their own. So when this is framed as like a solo mission, go out there, do this on your own, it's not about us doing this together, there is an increase in the mental fatigue that the team members will experience.
Speaker 1: I find that so interesting. Now, how about some of the company messages that I'm certainly hearing, Like a lot of organizations sprout like you know, AI is going to make you more productive? Like what do those messages do to brain fry burn out, having higher intentions to leave your company? Like what messages should leaders be sending about AI?
Speaker 3: The message that had the strongest impact in terms of decreasing burnout in particular and mental fatigue was sending a message from that the company cares about work life balance. So this was a case where it actually is not a message about AI. It's really a cultural message of the value that's placed on having a workplace and an employee base that is fulfilled, that has a sense of that balance between who they are as a person and who they are as a professional. Having that come through as a strong positive pays off dividends in terms of the pros and the engagement and the productivity that we're seeing in the data. In terms of the AI story, what we did see in the study, which is important to know and important to take forward, employees who felt the sense that their workload was going to increase dramatically because of AI were more vulnerable to this mental fatigue, and there could be lots of reasons for that, but the goal shouldn't be to tell the story that your work's going to get heavier because of AI. And I don't think organizations are intentionally telling a story like that, right. It's more about how do we emphasize the positives that will come for AI. How do we emphasize the sense of there is a lot of creativity that can open up. There's a lot of new domains of building that you can do as an individual. There's a lot of lift that you can get through this that you things you have not been able to do before. Lean into those domains of it, and really watch out for unintentional undertones of this is going to lead to that increased work which people, when they hear, will be more disposed to that mental fatigue.
Speaker 1: I think that's so interesting because something that like I certainly hear the wellbeing message from ladies and I even remember, I mean, this is going back a couple of years ago when AI was I guess you know, when it was pretty early in the journey for a lot of businesses, and I remember speaking to achieve people officer at a big global firm, and they'd been copying a lot of flak in the media for having very high workloads and having very high levels of burnout. And I remember talking to her about her strategy and she said, well, AI will solve that because we'll implement it, we'll train people, and then they'll be able to do essentially I'm paraphrasing a normal forty hour work week, and I really see that kind of a story playing out. In fact, I can't even think of a client that we're working with or an organization that I've read about that has implemented AI. They've trained people, and now there's like there's hard data to show that employees are working less hours, Like, have you seen any examples of anyone that's doing this well as opposed to just saying the right things, because I feel like there's a bit of a gap there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I think what's coming through and I have seen this in real life as well, but I think it's coming through more in the data In a way that I can stand behind statistically, is that there is this cluster of use that's really about replacing these repetitive tasks, these tasks that people don't want to be doing, and the people who are doing that and choosing to use the time in ways that are creating enjoyment, positive experiences at work, more connection. That's what we suffer, this particular population in our study who had that decrease burnout. I hear it when people talk about, for example, even folks who do a lot of interviews, whether it's customer interviews or media interviews, and they talk about not having to transcribe anymore and the extent to which they can really just focus on the conversation and lean into that and enjoy it and it doesn't have to suck hours of their time. Those sorts of tasks and the way people talk about what means to have that time back and have that depth of interaction. Those are the stories that I think about and I think are where I'm seeing the really big lift and so much low hanging fruit by the way across organizations to find those moments and those stories and that left and I think sometimes you know, our job in helping organizations is really identify those moments where the lift is going to come from finding that work that can be easily automated and where the time given back will energize, right versus like be filled with something that you know will deplete.
Speaker 1: Now, you might think of brain fry as just a personal problem, but that is not the way to think about it. It is also a leadership one. Coming up, Gabriella gets into what it actually looks and feels like when you're in it, how to build self awareness around your own cognitive limits, just like the way a runner loans their breath, what leaders can do right now to check in on whether their team is suffering from it. Plus, we also get into the ten twenty seventy rule that most organizations are completely ignoring when it comes to AI adoption. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way you work can live. I write a short weekly newsletter that contains tactics I've discovered that have helped me personally.
Speaker 2: You can sign up for that at Amantha dot com. That's Amantha dot com for.
Speaker 1: People listening that feel like I reckon. I am experiencing brain fry every single day. Like, what are the first thing or things that you would suggest that they immediately start to do?
Speaker 3: Okay, So the first thing is I got the funniest text, Actually, my husband got the funniest tax from a friend who had read our piece on brain fry and was like, I'm kind of loving my brain fry right now. Like I'm just like, I know I'm having brain friend kind of loving He had like all his cloud browsers open and he was like building a website and he's like, oh, I'm kind of loving it. So I want to just recognize that, like these tools can be really engaging and exciting and often we get to the point of brain fry because we're enjoying ourselves, right, So it can be really engaging to see like how much you can build and how fast, And so the point is not to deprive ourselves of the excitement and the engagement. And to my friend, if you're listening, like you go enjoy yourself and you know, don't deprive yourself of that. The goal though, is really like this is giving us opportunity to develop acute self awareness of our own intelligence as we come to meet this new alien intelligence.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So I really think it's like this is a deep self awareness that we can develop of our own brains that's brought on by trying to understand artificial intelligence and starting to understand just as when you go out to go for a run, you start to learn your breath, you start to learn when am I out of breath? When do I need to slow down? Those are the things we have to understand with our own brains as we're using these tools. We want to operate in an optimum. We don't want to make mistakes at work, right, And that was one of the things in our study that's at stake clearly with this is we need to be able to work sustainably. We need to have our attention and our working memory intact for the whole day, for all the tasks that we have, for the task outside of work, for our families, right, we want to be in good shape for all of those things. How do we pace ourselves? How do we start to feel that sense of brain fry coming on? Take a break, do something else, have a digital detox, Start to figure out how many tools can you reasonably work with at once. It's probably not more than three. Two, maybe just fine. One could be just fine too. Find that for yourself and really, like use an opportunity to learn more about yourself and your brain and your cognitive capacity. I think it's a beautiful opportunity for the self discovery of like, really the most important organ in the body, right, the organ that determines how we experience Alibliefe itself. And if this is the technology that's going to get people excited to learn about it, then amazing all the better.
Speaker 1: I do love that idea of just building in more reflection into your day about how are you feeling and how is your brain feeling. I remember yesterday I'd had quite an early start and then I'd been working on sort of quite cognitively intense work. I've been using AI throughout the day, and I remember at about like four o'clock I said to my husband, I think I'm just I'm done for today, like my brain is done. And sometimes I have that self awareness and other times I don't. But I think it's like what you're saying is such a good reminder to just go. Like at the end of the day, we are responsible for our own behaviors, and you know, hopefully you do work in a workplace where when your brain is feeling a little bit fried, you can just stop. I would love to know, like, for leaders, how can they do a formal or an informal audit of their team to go is my team suffering from brain fry right now?
Speaker 3: I think that, as I mentioned before, being that source of support, helping the team know and see that you are there with them, You're learning it with them, You're there to help them. You know there are no dumb questions. You will ask those questions if they need to be asked as well. At the team level, really important that it not feel competitive, that it not feel like it's all about who on the team is using the most versus other people on the team, that it'd be more about the team pushing one another to help drive the skills together. As you can do that as a leader, you can embed tools within your team processes, so it could be tools that you're using to help digest what's happened that week, to help drive research that the team is doing. Doing team trainings together is a great way, or have team members teach others about how to use the tools. These are always to help bring the team together around the tools and to know that there are new ways that we're all adjusting that are different from the old forms of work, and keeping an eye out and open door to listen and to hear about it and to just learn about what it's feeling like and looking like as every new generation of tools arrives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think The issue of metrics is so interesting. Like I remember in your article it mentioned meta essentially counting how many tokens staff had used, and the more tokens the better. Essentially, what are the right metrics that companies should be looking at when it comes to a good and impactful use of AI.
Speaker 3: We're in a stage now where the emphasis is on really getting the most out of the tools, not from a quantity of activity perspective, but really from an amount of value that's being generated, right, and so how do we think about the quality of the outputs and the value of the outputs, and the value of the engagements and the experiments and you know, we like to talk about that in our world of course, as learning as the rate of experimentation. Those are all great ways to try to capture how this is being metabolized effectively through the organization. Any kind of change in an organization has a toll. So before we want to roll something out and have lots of people using it, we want to be really thoughtful and strategic about how and why, and so being really careful about how we design around all of this is the other piece of what we see happening right now in the phase that we're in now, and the more we can carefully design how work should be flowing, where it should be locating, how the tools should be used, how many tools right on, what spans of control those types of questions, the more we can make sure that the changes we're going to roll out will be to the right people and the right ways at the right time and kind of minimize that change burden that over otherwise will create more inertia than forward momentum.
Speaker 1: Love that now. Something I'm experimenting with on how I work is finishing with what feels cliched, but some rapid fire questions that I have for you, So if you're out for it, my first question is which industries will feel this in terms of brain fry and the associated problems the hardest. Do you think in the next twelve months?
Speaker 3: Okay, So in our data set, the brain fry risk was greatest for the most operational and the most technical, and so I think that it would be the roles that tend toward those things the most. But I think that it will be more about whether the organization is making the right design decisions around how to be using the technology, regardless of industry. These are avoidable challenges, if we make smart decisions around the design, if we learn quickly, if we help empower employees to take pauses, have leaders who are there to answer questions. I think it's actually more about creating cultures where those things are possible, making decisions that are driven from the right outcomes, driven from a desire for sustainable productivity value creation.
Speaker 1: What is a non negotiable that you have in your life to protect your own cognitive capacity?
Speaker 3: I mentioned the digital detox. Another one is time with my family, So I tried to have dinner with my family and do a bad time. I'm every single night with my kids, very grounding, centering about the things that matter most to me. And you know, I think one of the main drivers of resilience in my research across large populations is self compassion and as you well know, part of what that means is keeping it in perspective. And there's nothing like you know, kids to help me keep things in perspective.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that very much. For light, what does a healthy relationship with AI look like?
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty three, my lab that I was leading at the time did a study to predict who would be most inclined to use AI tools, and it came down to a high degree of optimism and a high degree of agency. And that's what I would point to an answer to the question is that the more we can be optimistic about how we can use these tools to advance our goals, to advance our purpose, to advance the things that we want to accomplish, and the more we can lean into our sense of self efficacy and agency that we are in the driver's seat, the more that we can use them to our advantage and really get the most out of them as individuals, as leaders, and as organizations.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's the single biggest mistake that organizations are making with AI adoption right now?
Speaker 3: We have seen over and over in our research that the formula of getting adoption right is ten twenty seventy ten percent. A way of to get right is the algorithms, twenty percent is the data and the tools, and seventy percent is the processes in the people side of things. What organizations often miss is that seventy percent and the focus on people. So really focusing on the people side of getting people to find that high agency, high optimism mindset to engage with the tools to use it in ways that authentically advance their goals, their purpose, that give them that sense of lift that we talked about, to have more time for connection, for belonging, for purpose, for creativity. Those are the things where we really see this like unfair advantage opening up and huge opportunity.
Speaker 1: And finally, if you had one minute with the CEO of a large company, what would you tell them about brain fry?
Speaker 3: I would say AI is completely changing the psychology and behavior of work. Brain fry is a proof point of that we need to learn quickly and use all of this information to redesign work for the benefit of our employees, of our leaders, and of our bottom line.
Speaker 1: Love that, Gabriella. Thank you so much for coming back on how I work. I love dat chat the first time, and it's just been so great to dive into your research about brain fry. I've been thinking about it so much since I read that piece in HBr, So thank you for continuing to just put such great work into the world.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me back of such a pleasure to be with young.
Speaker 1: So when you think about the most sophisticated AI users, they're not actually the ones with the most tabs open. The people who figured out AI are the ones who figured out themselves, their own cognitive capacity, their own pace, their own version of two tools versus five. So it's less about the technology and more about self knowledge. Now, if you are someone who ends the day with a fried brain and no real sense of why, try treating it like Gabriella suggests, like learning your breath on a run, notice when it starts, and take the break before you actually need it. And if you enjoyed this chat with Gabriella, I reckon you'd enjoy the first time I had her on How I Work, where we talk all about thriving in times of uncertainty. If you like today's show, make sure you hit follow on your podcast app to be alerted when new episodes drop. How I Work was recorded
Speaker 2: On the traditional land of the Warrangery people, part of the Kohen Nation.