Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Order Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through. As this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money Podcast. Millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our money daries where we get to talk with one of our incredible She's on the Money community members all about their journey. Let's jump straight into it, because this week we got a message and it sounded exactly like this, Dear She's on the Money. I made a huge life change that on paper might sound crazy. I left my one hundred thousand dollar job in the city to move to the country, where I took a seventy thousand dollar pay cut. I was in a job I hated and now I work in education support, a job I'm genuinely passionate about. It was a bold move, but I couldn't be happier. For the first time, I actually look forward to getting to work every day. Plus, living in the country has brought unexpected financial benefits. We're saving so much more than we ever could in the city. It's proof that chasing passion over paychecks can be incredibly rewarding, both for your happiness and your wallet money. Darrist, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Hi, thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: First things first, that was so well written. I just know this is going to be a good diary. But also as seventy thousand dollars pay cut be for real, Like, let's be honest, where'd you get the balls for that?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it was a bit of a tricky one, but at the end of the day, money doesn't buy happiness, and that was the one thing that was the biggest change for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, what was the point? Like if I was crying, like walking out of the office being so stressed out, what was the point.
Speaker 4: It's so true, it's so true, but like so many of us feel so trapped in the cycle that we just can't change it. So let's learn more. First things first, what grade would you give you money habits if I asked you to give them a grade from A through to F.
Speaker 2: So currently I'd probably give it a CNUS. I'm not the best at the moment, but we are definitely not in the worst situation. We have been better with money in the past, but right now still just getting there with the big obviously the pay decrease.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course, Now tell me more. I need to know a lot more about your money story. Take me back and give us a bit more info.
Speaker 2: So going back, I would say with my parents growing up, both my parents are very work driven. My mum was in the defense Force. They worked really really hard for their money. We were quite well off compared to my friends and stuff, which I always just thought money was just there all the time because it wasn't spoken about, because you know, we were quite when then I had friends that were not as well off. They were living in house commission and all that, which was you know, it's great, and it was great that they had that option, but I found it a bit odd at the time. I was like, what do you mean you don't have a beach house down the road like New Sorrento. What do you mean? Like I thought everyone did you know'.
Speaker 4: Idle mean you just don't get it right, you just lived in your bubble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, what do you mean? Like you buy home brand fruit and you don't get like McDonald's every Friday night? What do you mean? Like I never oun?
Speaker 4: Oh my god? And do you know what is so funny? What do you mean you don't have a beach house down near Sorento? That is like I mean, and that's probably why you said it. It's like hilariously entitled, Like what do you mean? Like, oh, obviously like Sorrento, million dollar beach houses? Sure, why not?
Speaker 2: What do you mean you don't have a chalet up in Mount Hoforpe, Like what do you mean? Okay? Not really?
Speaker 4: Can I be adopted?
Speaker 2: Is that ad option? Like? No?
Speaker 4: I mean right now, I'm thinking, let's be honest, no wonder you could take a seventy thousand dollars pay cup, but we're going to learn more about that.
Speaker 2: We didn't actually have a chalet in matt Hope, And that was just making it be nice. Sorry, dad, where is it? And so that was like the growing up. But then I had my first child and I was a single mum, and then I learned how money does not grow on trees and it's not just endless there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wow, that would have been a bit confronting coming from a well off family to being a single mum. You're like, hold up, Like, my spending habits are not in line with the lifestyle I currently have.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. I'm like, what do you mean fortnightly payments? Here? I am waiting for my fortnightly paycheck. My friend even said to me, He's like, well, you've changed so much because you're just like I'm gonna wait to the next fortnite to get paid. And because I wasn't trying to borrow off my parents all the time, I was trying to be this strong independent woman.
Speaker 4: Yeap, which is definitely admirable, but it's stressful.
Speaker 2: So stressful. There was times I went to them and be like can you help me, like and they were like yeah, of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which is so nice to have to fall back on, but also like it's so nice to also be independent. It's hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The bank of Dad, I called it and he's like, bank of Dad will never forget. He has a list, an Excel spreadsheet of money that I owe him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's fair, that's a debt. We'll talk about that later.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. And then I got in a relationship with my partner that I've been with now for six years nearly, which took a big relief off my shoulders of having that other person there to help make ends meet and stuff like that. And yeah, so we everything improved from there, and there was some things along the way that kind of obviously we'll go into later of the debt questions that kind of made our money story have a little bit of an issue. But then we had more kids, and when I had my third child, that's when I made the career change choice. When I went on attorney to leave, I was like, I don't want to go back to work to that job. I want to move forward, and which I did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that. I want to know, like, there are so many pervy details I need to know. So if you'd gone back to that one hundred thousand dollar job, what would have childcare looked like? Like, I know, you've got like two young kids and then you've got a kid that's at school age, So like, what would have that looked like? Because that would have weighed significantly on the financial decision as well.
Speaker 2: Hey, oh what have like the phase of ridiculous? A lot of people don't realize how expensive childcare is and you only get I think a hundred subsidized hours or something. So I was having to drop them off at a certain time every day would be say seven thirty, They'd have to be there only after seven thirty, and trying to get to the city job would have been a nightmare. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, And so tell me a bit more about like this pay cut. So you've gone from working I'm assuming full time one hundred thousand dollars a year to obviously less than that. But are you working part time now or like what does your work life balance look like in comparison?
Speaker 2: So I work part time. I work three days a week, which has been a great thing for me mentally and for my kids because I have the amount of childcare two days a week and we have fun if we go to playgroup, my toddler does dance and things like I missed out on with my eldest daughter because I had to work full time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you're also single, mum. Like, let's just remember the part where you were doing all of that on your own, and like, I feel like you were doing the best that you could with everything that you had at that time, right, Yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: I don't look back and say, oh my god, I should have done this or done that. I know I did what I could with what I had, and I'm yeah, it's harder, and I'll look back at it sometimes, Oh God, have done this with her. I'm so sad and a then, but look where we are now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent. I feel like we do that with everything, right, Like I look back and I go, oh, I wish i'd done XYZ earlier. It's like, well, be you didn't have the knowledge, then, you didn't have the understanding, you didn't even want that then, Like it makes sense. But like we're all just out here doing the best that we can, right, especially when it comes to kids. There's so many like shouldar would have couders, and I just think we are all just in the moment doing the best that we absolutely can. And you know what, that.
Speaker 2: Is good enough exactly right. There's no manual for being a parent. They didn't teach us this in school. I know.
Speaker 4: I'm still in shock that they let me walk out of a hospital with a newborn and no license for it. Like I couldn't even go and get a car without a license, and you're letting me have an entire human being like that. That feels illegal, But okay, I agree.
Speaker 2: To that so much Like what the instruction manual to get them to sleep?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Where is it?
Speaker 4: I don't know, but at three am last night, I really really would have appreciated having some sort of manual. But that is okay. I want to know. Tell me a bit more about you exactly, So what do you earn? What is your job title? And tell me a bit about what you used to earn and what your job title was.
Speaker 2: Then, So my current job, I'm an education support worker at a primary school. By the days that I work and the step that I'm on further salary, I earn about thirty k per year for the three days And.
Speaker 4: Is that pro rata from a fifty thousand dollars package or is that just like the role is only part time.
Speaker 2: That is pro writer for the hours that I work. Yes, so it's not too bad for what I do. I love it, but Previously, I was an accountant in work five days a week, nine to five life. Literally Dolly Parton was that song It's Made for You. Yeah, it was fain for me, and I spent my days at a desk, changed my desk answering e to people being quite angry and stuff like that, like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, thank you, no thanks, not for you, not for you. And now you get to work in a primary school with kids, being an education support worker. How cool is that?
Speaker 2: I love it so much. I actually just finished my first term. I cried on the way home because I was going to miss the kids for two weeks.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, you're soesome.
Speaker 2: Because like, what are the boys that I will students a look after? He actually gifted me some Pokemon cards because we bonded over Pokemon, so he went through his old cards with his mom the night before.
Speaker 4: Oh when he gave you some, that's so wholesome. Like, I hope that when my kids get to school they have people that care about them as much as you do, Like I want you everywhere, Like I just want my kids to go to school and have that type of relationship. Like that is so special.
Speaker 2: It is it makes my day every day there is hard days. I'm not going to say it's an easy job.
Speaker 4: There's days where I came home and like, oh what have I done?
Speaker 2: Why am I? Do we miss this? It's so stressful. But then they go in the next day and it's a brand new day.
Speaker 4: Totally, totally well. It sounds like life has changed significantly for you recently. Tell me a bit about money goals. What are currently your big money goals? What are you working towards?
Speaker 2: So I have a two step money goal plan. So first step is paying off our weddings. So we're getting married in November next year.
Speaker 4: Oh I had a November wedding. Good time for one.
Speaker 2: Oh I know, because it's not too hot, not too cold.
Speaker 4: In Melbourne, so yeah, perfect.
Speaker 2: And then it's to buy a house obviously after the honeymoon and everything like that. We're just going like, let's get there. We've got to improve our credit ratings because young me made some inquiries that she shouldn't have made on her credit file and they just sit there. They don't forget. Equifax doesn't move on holds on forever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, or at least seven years. Tell me I need to know wedding details when you stay pay off your wedding. Can we have some juicy dates on what's your wedding costing you? How did you do the planning? Like, weddings can be like ten grand or they could be like two hundred grand. What are we talking?
Speaker 2: We're talking about I think it. When I've done my lovely spreadsheet, it was about twenty five to thirty thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Oh that's pretty good in this economy.
Speaker 2: Oh and for the venue I got, Like, obviously I don't want to say.
Speaker 4: No, no, don't tell me like and it doesn't matter because most people won't know it anyway. So you've got a good venue, got a good deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's in the city. It's a special place where we spend a lot of time as a family.
Speaker 4: Oh, how good. You're going to have to tell me off there so that I can have a little bit of a look. See. But so you've got like the venue that you wanted. You're really excited about it. What was the biggest surprise when it came to wending budgeting?
Speaker 2: How much is Celebrate cost?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Really, I was shocked on how much some of them would charge you. I was like, I get what they do and all that and they do a lot into it. Once they sent me the contract, I was like, Okay, this is why you cost this X amount of money. I was kind of like, oh wow, that's really expensive and a photo boof. I didn't realize how expensive they are as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's so true. I feel like I wasn't shocked by my celebrant cost, but I'm not surprised, And I think it's just because I've had clients who were celebrants historically, but it can be anywhere from a couple of hundred dollars to like thousands of dollars, and like obviously the more experienced one is or the more you've seen them on social media, the more expensive they're probably gonna be. And like I really doubled down on the celebrant cost when I got married money Drest because I got her to be the MC for our wedding as well, because I remember being like, I just want everyone at our wedding to have a good time, Like I don't want to put the pressure on like you know, my husband's best mate to MC our wedding and not drink the entire night, not have a fun time in the entire night, and be like time tracking, Like that was just something that was important to me because I knew that, like in my head, no one really wanted to do that. Like, if you've got somebody who wants to do it, fantastic, But like I doubled down and so basically paid her twice so that she could be the celebrant then be the So I remember being like, oh, lots of exper but okay.
Speaker 2: I've done the same thing. Actually, And what I love about my celebrant is if there's any celebrants listening. Best thing that this guy did was he sent me a video of him talking, because you're gonna have to hear celebrate talking through the wedding. And I was like, that sold on you. You've taken this extra step. Let's go.
Speaker 4: How good is that?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: I have more questions. Tell me a bit about this goal for buying a house. So you said that you want to save for a house deposit. What does that look like? Are we buying regionally?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: You live out further.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we are looking to actually move further out regional. We are quite in a regional built up area. I love the country vibe. I love how there is so much nature out here and there's so much space, and the houses are so much cheaper out here compared to where we were living, Like, it's ridiculously so much cheaper. Did you get for your money as well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent you do. It's crazy and like such a good idea. I love this. And what type of time frame do you think that is? Is that like save for a home and buy straight after the wedding or save for a home and buy a couple of years after. I mean, you've got three kids, Like, I feel like that's going to take a little bit of effort in comparison to, like, you know, straight after the wedding.
Speaker 2: Our goal is in five years. We're trying to clear up some debt and obviously improve our credit file as well, so we're not inquiring for any loans or anything like that. We're like, no, everything is getting closed off, don't touch it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we're just going to smash down debt. All right, Well, let's go to a really quick break because on the flip side, I'm going to ask you about the debt that you have, how you got it, what it looks like. We're going to be chatting about investment, and I want to know your best and worst money habits, because I feel like someone who has significantly decreased their income is going to have some good money habits that we can learn from. So don't go anywhere money dirist. We are back, and I want to know have you invested? Will you invest what's the plan around that?
Speaker 2: So I use chair Zy's at the moment, I stopped buying lunch because I've obviously I changed my job, and I put the money that I would have spent getting tadash delivered to work into Chazy's.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, you actually did.
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 4: Their podcast is called lunch Money.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Their podcast is literally called lunch money. And I love the fact that you then are investing on their platform using your actual lunch money.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I use their roundup feature too, where like it rounds up what you spend and that it's invested into what ETF and then I don't have to think about it and they do everything for me.
Speaker 4: I love that. How did you start where you like, I really need to start investing or is this like a plan when you left corporate you were like, all right, I'm going to take this money and redirect it, because that's like genius.
Speaker 2: I believe I got the advice from the podcast about the coffee, like if you don't buy the coffee, a coffee a day or way, how much could you invest?
Speaker 4: It's wild, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. I've got so much in that, I think because like four hundred dollars in their last time I checked.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I love that. And how much were you spending each week? I have to know, like on door dashing lunch. Like don't get me wrong, like lunch at work is already expensive, but like having it delivered every day, girl, you would have been bleeding money.
Speaker 2: I think it was like at least one hundred dollars a week I was spending.
Speaker 4: Oh that's so painful.
Speaker 2: I know it was so bad, but I was just like I just want comfort food. All what Menando's delivered? Please?
Speaker 4: Yeah, look I get it. And if you weren't enjoying your work either, like that would have been like the one thing that you were looking forward to during the day or the one thing that kind of like lifted your spirits on the days that you were like, oh this is not working for me, so like I can see how you do it, but and this is going to bring the mood down. But it is a really slippery slope. Do you know twenty seven dollars fifty a day in spending is ten thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: Isn't that terrifying? No, but you're not doing it anymore. You're investing, Like that's really exciting. But like I feel like for me, it's really easy to spend twenty seven dollars fifty, like a couple of coffees and then a sandwich out. I've already blown it. Like I spent yesterday a sandwich. I've got Subway for lunch yesterday and it was like seventeen dollars because obviously I got the cookie as well, ob yously, like you're not going to Subway and not getting the cookie, That's why I went there in the first place. And two coffees Like I definitely would have blown twenty seven dollars yesterday. Easy. Oh I hate that for us money, Diarist, So you're investing, you're using Chazi's. Do you have a bigger plan for that? Like is the plan to increase that over time or is it what is it for? Is that for your home deposit? Is it for like your retirement.
Speaker 2: It is for our retirement for and I do want to increase it eventually after the debts that we are paying off slowly have gone. I was going to put that money into Chasis and just increase it more and more so when we retire with got this big, nice portfolio and we can relax.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very cute. She's a genius. I love that. Let's flip the narrative because I know you have debt and I want to know about it. Tell me about your debts. How did you get in them, what do they look like, and what's your plan to get out of them?
Speaker 2: So I have one good debt, which is obviously my hex debt. I love that you always say that's a good debt, goes towards education. Might not be in that field anymore, but you learned something. But with my other debt, we have one really bad debt, this one. If I could go back in time, I would grab my partner and myself and sit on the couch and say, you need car insurance. My partner got the car accident and rode his car and the other person's car off.
Speaker 4: Yeah okay, and.
Speaker 2: Currently left on it. We looked the other day there's about fifteen thousand dollars left.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's not the end of the world. And you know what, that was a very expensive mistake, but also a very expensive learning Are you going to do it again?
Speaker 2: No, I make sure that insurance is paid everyone. I'm like, I make sure.
Speaker 4: Oh that would have been so strong ressful at the time as well. Was your husband.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah he was and we kind of like, I we shouldn't laugh about it, but he was getting my daughter some cookies for a teacher, and he always jokes, now they were the world's most expensive cookies.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, they absolutely were. I don't think I've heard of more expensive cookies. What were they made of? Gold?
Speaker 2: Like? Yeah, pretty much? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh, how stressful. And then the realization that you didn't have insurance. What was that like?
Speaker 2: When he called me, I was like, oh my god, you don't have insurance. He's like, I know, and I was like, okay, so what are we going to do? And we kind of panicked, But then I remembered that most companies will give you a financial hardship agreement. So we just called up and said, look, hey, we can't afford to pay this. All this money now, can we set up a payment plan? And they said, yeah, sure, what can you pay?
Speaker 4: Oh that's so smart that you just tackled it head on, like you called up. So many people wouldn't do that, and they'd just be evasive of it and like ignore it and just wait until people were chase them. Like, I'm glad that you called and that you knew that there was like some type of support available. Fifteen grand? Stressful, but you're going to get out of it? How good? What's the plan? Are we throwing all of our available cash at that? Or are we chipping away? What does that look like?
Speaker 2: So we're chipping away? We have got set up a minimum repayment option with them, and then every time we get a tax return or my partner gets a bonus or something like that, it goes straight into that straight away. We just put it straight in.
Speaker 4: Smart, get rid of it. And you mentioned that you had really bad credit.
Speaker 2: Why made the few mistakes when I was younger, not paying you know, bills and stuff like, haha, you can't get me. What are you going to do? Oh, we're going to put a default on your credit file. That's what we're going to do.
Speaker 4: You're like, oh, about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh whoops.
Speaker 4: Oh no, that's so stressful. And how long have they been on your credit file? And like, have you been working towards or doing anything in particular to help me get it up or are we just waiting until it increases.
Speaker 2: I did end up getting a credit card, like a thousand dollar credit card, so it's and I pay that every month and I make sure that thing is paid every month, and that has improved it slowly. And the defaults when I checked, I think they've got three more years until they've lifted, and then they're gone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then they're completely off. And I mean tin awa Like, as much as that sucks, you told me before that your plan is to buy in five years, so that's not even going to impact it. We're just going to save an invest along the way. And then when it comes time to buy and your broken looks at your credit score, you're gonna be like, what defaults? I don't know what you're talking about. Who are you?
Speaker 2: I know they've never been there.
Speaker 4: They can't see further back than that. They won't be part of the credit score. They drop off, which is a.
Speaker 2: Money win exactly.
Speaker 4: I love that for you. So I feel like somebody who has had to move regionally and drop their income significantly is probably gonna have a few good money habits. What are they?
Speaker 2: One of them? This is the mum one. Anythink my babys need Facebook Marketplace one hundred percent is my favorite place.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, me too recently, like baby stuff is so expensive retail be for real. It's actually insane how expensive stuff is and how long they do not use.
Speaker 2: It for exactly right. So, for example, this is my biggest one I did. Obviously, I had two hunder two, so I needed a double pram and the Buggerboo dog Key retails for what two k?
Speaker 4: Not even it's more than that because you then got to buy the seats and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got one for three hundred dollars secondhand on Marketplace.
Speaker 4: Three hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what you're.
Speaker 4: Going to be able to sell it for that at least? Like if you clean that and then put it on marketplace when you're done with that, Like, girl, you are gonna get at least three hundred dollars for that, you just know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said it to our partner. I guess I still think it's particulous. He's like you go get this Pram and I'm like, look at what it does, and now he loves it.
Speaker 4: He'd like this PREMS bed and it's a good quality one as well. Like, don't get me wrong, you can definitely get something you know, Kmart much cheaper, but like the quality of pushing a terrible upper hill, like not for me.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh. We actually upgraded the wheels as well to foam ones and got brand new hoods for an extra hundred dollars. So I've spent like four hundred dollars on this Pram and it's a double, yeah, and it can go down to single and you can use it as a bassinet. It's got so many features.
Speaker 4: Did you then sell the pram that was a single because I'm assuming when you had your your second baby, sorry, your first baby was completely out of prams because she's a bit older. But then your second baby, you would have got a single prem right because you don't often think you're gonna have another baby so close. Did you then sell that on marketplace and like put that towards the second one?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I did. Actually I sold it I think for like fifty dollars, so technically I spent three hundred and fifty on the prem if we take that out.
Speaker 4: See, there you go, there you go. I'm helping you make this make sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The other really good habit I have is when I go to Cohals and stuff and things are on special, I don't look at the main price. I look at the unit price or per leader like and I'm a big Costco shopper as well, but again I look at the unit price and do comparison. I don't just go in there and go, oh, this is cheaper and bulk because sometimes it's not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got myself into trouble before at Costco when I go in with no plan. This is years ago. I don't currently have a membership, but go in with no plan and you're like, oh that looks fun, Oh that looks fun. And then you walk out and you're like, why why I didn't need that? And it adds up because often you're buying volume of something that you might not need, which makes it really expensive.
Speaker 2: Exactly right. It's so bad. It's a deep hole when you're walking to Costco because then when you leave, you have to get the giant pizza slice for three dollars, or you have to get the drinks like you have to. So you're like, oh, I just spend all my money on food as we left.
Speaker 4: Rude, Not too rude, Not to like, You've got to plan it around lunchtime though, or dinner time and be like, all right, if we go after work, that three dollar pizza can be dinner instead of having a little sneaky snack that we then go home and cook too.
Speaker 2: Exactly right. Oh, you go on free sample day. The kids can sit in the trolley and get the free samples as you wheel around trying all the foods.
Speaker 4: She's a genius. I love this. Are there any other good money habits before I ask you for your worst?
Speaker 2: Also very good at point hacking with flybys and Quantus points and Wooly's rewards.
Speaker 4: Oh tell me more, because our community has been asking a lot about like, you know, how do you get the most bang for your bluck out of points?
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 4: How do you do it?
Speaker 2: So for quantus points? I actually be my best friend. We do a step challenge each week and the winner will get fifty points.
Speaker 4: Oh how cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's something I found on TikTok. Some lady was like, this is how I pay for my business class flats doing nothing, And so I do that and I get daily step counts, weekly steps. There's so many things. Even checking your car lights can get you ten quantus points.
Speaker 4: What, Yeah, how good is that you're like staying safe but also like getting your steps up. I feel like I've been obsessed recently with getting my steps up. I feel like, as a mum, you're just like I'm on the cow all the time. I posted on my Instagram story that I've just completely lost my butt. My butt is the shape of the couch that I have been sitting on. So like, getting my steps up is good, but now you're going to motivate me that I get points. I love this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and another one that I didn't know was the best way to do it. You know how Flybys when you go to the Col's Express, you can get like four cents off per leader, or you can actually get eight points per leader for Flybys.
Speaker 4: Oh, I didn't know that. You have done a lot of research, my friend.
Speaker 2: And it's the better option. The lady that served me at Coal's Express was like, you are a genius because you actually get more for your money this way. No one knows that.
Speaker 4: How good? I love that. Well, now everyone know she's on the money, knows that, and we are very grateful to you for that money. Drest, Let's flip the narrative. What do you think your worst money?
Speaker 2: How it is even though I'm not getting it for lunch being a mum, uber eats and daughter. But I'm so tired, and I know it sounds so bad.
Speaker 4: I get it. I get it. I just to make you feel better. I ordered pizza last night for dinner with my husband. It was Monday. That's not even like a Friday night like treat. That was me being like I can't be bother cooking, and they looked at my husband and he's like, don't look at me. I don't want to cook, and he's usually great at cooking. So we did pizza on a Monday night. It happens. It happens to the best of us.
Speaker 2: It happens. And like sometimes I come on the way home from work, I go, I just don't want to cook, and I'm breastfeeding still as well, so I get hungry. So and of course I want to get on the MACS app and breastfeeding.
Speaker 4: Like, there needs to be an entire podcast episode of budgeting for my breastfeeding, spending and eating like I eat so much, I spend so much, Like I'm on my phone at three am because I'm breastfeeding. I don't make the rules. I do deserve that new dress. I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And people say breastfeeding is free, it is not free.
Speaker 4: How much was your breast pump?
Speaker 2: I got that actually secondhand, but if read.
Speaker 4: Her Facebook marketplace, Honestly, I don't know why people aren't buying breast pumps secondhand. You use them for such a short period of time and you probably did the same thing. You can just replace all the valves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a Spectra S one for sixty dollars second hand.
Speaker 4: Sixty dollars. That's a couple of hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, and she only used it for thirty hours, so it was basically brand new.
Speaker 4: That's so perfect. And I mean, how many mums buy a breast pump going this is what I'm going to do, and then go JU know what this isn't for me, and then get rid of their breast pump on marketplace like genius. I feel like everyone should for babies just be looking more on marketplace.
Speaker 2: Don't go get a brand new, don't get a new bascinet just go on marketplace. I love it so.
Speaker 4: I adore it. I want to do more deep dives into like how we can budget have kids but like still get the bougie things that we want because I feel like, you know, when you see their Spectra breast pump, you're like, well, that's really exp but also I could get it for sixty bucks and that's actually cheaper than the one it came.
Speaker 2: Up exactly, and then just buy the parts online. You can get like Amazon knockoffs for the Spectra brand for so much cheaper.
Speaker 4: Yeah I did, don't tell Spectro, but I went and bought all the Amazon parts because I needed like a different millimeter size and all of that fun stuff. But anyway, there's a lot of conversation to be hard about saving money while being a mum. At the start of this episode, you told me you think you're a C minus. Tell me what it's going to take to get to an A plus and what's the plan.
Speaker 2: I think the plan would be obviously be debt free. Get rid of that big debt, which is going to slowly disappear copy slowed down, not completely stuck, because I know one hundred percent there's still going to be that one occasional uber eats and do it ash and I'm not going to hold that against myself.
Speaker 4: We've got to be reasonable. You can't cut things out, especially if you're enjoying them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much. I think to get there obviously, be debt free and have a decent emergency fund because at the moment we only have like a little one and things do happen and you need to have that there for that one moment because what if something has happened and not panic.
Speaker 4: But it sounds like you're well on the way, Like you are getting rid of this debt, you're channeling all of your free cash flow to it, like you've got this plan, you're paying off your wedding. It sounds like you've been really savvy with your wedding. You've got an epic venue and you're only spending between twenty five and thirty grand, which at the moment the average Australian wedding is about sixty five thousand dollars, so you're already winning there. I just feel like you're on the path to being really financially secure, like not today, Like you feel obviously a little bit like we've got places to be, you know, people to see, things to do. But like it sounds like you're well set up. And the thing I love most about this is you're really happy, like you're enjoying your life. Like I am pretty sure so many of us will swap to your situation where you're like, no, girl, I love going to work. Like I cried on the way home because I was gonna miss going to work for two weeks. Like you're living literally the dream. And then on the flip side, yeah, you've got some debt and you're working through it and you've got a plan. But like I think so many people would swap to that situation instead of being completely debt free and miserable. Like I feel like that's really really positive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely is. And like obviously, like I said, I love my job and everything, but it isn't easy and like, yeah, I don't know, I'm lossful words. I'm thinking about my job now. I'm just like, oh gosh, school holidays is to hurry up and be over soon go back.
Speaker 4: But that's so nice, And I think that it's nice to see a different perspective someone who's been willing to slash it. Like at the start, I was like, oh my gosh, where did you get the balls to cut your income? Like I feel like for so many of us, and you're my age, or I'm a bit older than you, you're thirty one, but I feel like by the time you're thirty, if you're earning six figures, you're like, I've finally made it. Like it feels like in my head, six figures for me was always a goal. I remember writing down my goals when I was like twenty two, twenty three, and I was like, by the time I'm thirty, I want to be earning six figures. And for me, that was such a pivotal moment when I hit that number. I remember thinking, oh, I earned six figures, and I'm very grateful for it. But this is not how I thought it would feel. This is not how I thought it would happen. I thought this was going to mean that I was like, really really doing well financially. I thought that I'd have all my stuff together, you know, and to be in a position where you earn that, it's very hard to step back and go, well, actually, I'm really happy to take less for my mental health, for my happiness of my family, for you know a better work life balance, and you've done it, and you're like, might not on paper look great, but I'm so happy and I'm thriving. And I think that lots of us can learn a bit from that, Like even if it's just stepping back a little bit and going well, actually, I could step back and maybe take a ten k pay cut or a twenty k pay cut for my health, for my happiness, for my lifestyle. Like that's not the end of the world. I feel like you've got it sorted. I feel like you might be smarter than most of us.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. I appreciate that. I think like one of the things is have you seen that video on Instagram? It's like you only have small children for three years and then it's done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, got me in the fields.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That one was my breaking point and I was like, he's so right, it's done. And then another one came. I was like, you only got one life, why not be happy? And I was like, okay, Instagram, you're coming at me from all the directions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do feel like my algorithm personally victimizes me quite consistently, and that's okay. I'm dealing with that. But I do see all of those at the same time as feeling personally victimized by them. I also feel like it's helping me be present, and it's also reminding me to be grateful for the period of time I'm in. Like it's so easy to get to a three am feed where you're like, oh my gosh, I can't think of anything worse, And like then I look at Hovey and I'm like, I'm not going to be able to do this forever, and there's going to come a time in my life where all I wish for is one more time like this. So I hope that I'm enjoying this. And yeah, I think that enjoying the journey is.
Speaker 2: Very very important. Definitely, it definitely is all.
Speaker 4: Right, Money direst It has been an absolute pleasure, but unfortunately we've been talking for forty minutes and that is all we have time for today. It has been an absolute pleasure, and I know that our community has loved all of your pervy details but also understanding that it's proof that chasing passion over paychecks can be incredibly rewarding. So thank you for your time. I have had an absolute blast getting to know you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 4: The if I shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exist purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and Sheese on the Money are authorized representatives of money Shoper Pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine