Speaker 1: This is Outspoken. The podcast is not afraid to say exactly what you're thinking. Our names are Amy Kate and Sophie Torba.
Speaker 2: We're identical triplets, so.
Speaker 1: We often don't have identical opinions, so sometimes things can get heated. Outspoken covers all things reality TV, influences, entertainment.
Speaker 2: And issues facing women.
Speaker 1: That is so app fetch, thank you, Welcome back to Outspoken Now. It hasn't been a great week for influences in the wild. Two have been caught out this week without their debit cards or purses while trying to buy items. So the first was Molly May and she drove twenty minutes from her house to get McDonald's, only to discover she had forgotten to bring her purse. And to add insult to injury, she had her period and was really craving McDonald's. And she also tried to purchase the meal on her Apple pay and it got rejected. So I always feel so embarrassed when my credit card gets declined, so I think she was just an absolute ball of nerves. She ended up having to ring her manager to ask what to do in the situation, and her manager was like, well, why don't you check your car to see if you've got any coins in it.
Speaker 2: So that's what she did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was able to scrounge five pound twenty so she did manage to get a meal. But the funniest thing was she seemed really self conscious on what the person at McDonald's, the one who was serving her, was thinking. And I just thought the whole time, can you imagine if you were that kid at McDonald's and you recognize Molly May and she's been coppying all this shit for her insensitive twenty four hours in a day comment. The funniest bit is she's in her massive, expensive car and she's obviously filming herself too, So I really wonder what the boy that served her was thinking. If it was me, I'd be like, I'm not giving.
Speaker 2: This woman a meal for free. She can obviously afford it.
Speaker 1: Don't you love how much money you can actually scrounge in your car when you really need to, Like, I'm always shocked when I'm ever in that situation where I need to pay for a parking ticket or something and the amount of extra dollars you have lying around the car.
Speaker 2: Straight, No, I feel like we.
Speaker 1: Need to go to grab from Molly May because her reaction to the whole ordeal was hilarious.
Speaker 3: I left my money at home. I left my money at home.
Speaker 4: I'm so embarrassed. I'm actually so embarrassed.
Speaker 2: That was so embarrassing.
Speaker 3: The poor boy, the poor boy was just staring at me, like, what do you want me to do about a hunt? Like I'm not giving you a frame with donald Oh dude, Jesus, that was embarrassing. Okay, okay, I just got a new card and I just added it to my my phone. But it didn't work. It didn't work.
Speaker 4: Such too fair.
Speaker 3: Some places don't accept this type of card. So now I was like, is this God telling me that maybe I don't need him at Donalds to night?
Speaker 1: Do you think this is how you guys would react, because I have been in that instance. Actually today I forgot my Booper card at the Optic and I was so embarrassed, Like, I thought, do I go back?
Speaker 2: But I feel like when it.
Speaker 1: Comes to a meal and you're really craving it, I would go back and suffer the embarrassment. Well, she did say to the Matt Donald's worker, Oh, can you just put that to the side. I will come back and to be honest, I've done that before at the supermarket where my card hasn't gone through and I've said no, no, I'll come back, and i haven't come back out of pure embarrassment. Well, the other influencer who had a similar situation this week was Sarah's Dye Now. She did a huge shop at chemist Warehouse for essentials to prepare for the birth of her baby, which is coming up in the next few weeks, and she went to the counter and realized that she also had no card. And what I loved was she lied and said she was going to the car to see if her wallet was in the car, But she was just doing that because she wanted to leave the embarrassing situation and did not go back in.
Speaker 3: I've actually forgotten my money. But I've got this. This might work, it might not. Can you can I hold my older because I will actually come back. What time do you shut?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll come back. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Sophiicacia and Mia Plask's latest business venture has hit a hurdle on its first launch. Their gender neutral cosmetic brand of Suru was forced to apologize after the former Mummy bloggers shared a video of herself undertaking quality control in their warehouse. In the video, she has seen maskless and gloveless as she rubs her nose with lipstick in her hand. Before we get into the drama, Cake, can you tell us about Sophie and MIA's new business?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, just for.
Speaker 1: Some background, Sophie Kaisha, as we said, is a former mummy vlogger turned entrepreneur who runs a successful pajama brand called Kasha. And as for me, she is a founder and CEO of Slick Hair Company. Now. They both have had their fair share of controversies, so much so that Sophie Kisha tried to distance herself from Mia Plastic last year after the Slickstick owner shared her anti vax views. Now, despite the little hiccup, the pair have joined forces to launch a new gender neutral cosmetic brand called.
Speaker 2: Is Suru Now.
Speaker 1: The word is Suru is Japanese and translates to mean to love, to care for, to have affection for. Brand's motto is beauty for all humans, and they list their values as inclusivity, visibility, and acceptance in the mainstream market now, the brand says that they're here to disrupt the market and want every human to embrace self expression at any age. On the website, it says one dollar from every sale of a product will be donated to a selected charity, with it alternating every six months. Now. When I took a look at their website, it was very inclusive and featured images of trans women, non binary people, and older women. However, when it comes to their brand, I don't really think it's on point.
Speaker 2: It kind of looks a little bit.
Speaker 1: Like a tech brand, and a member of our Facebook group actually pointed out that the website looks like the big W website and when you do have a look, you cannot unsee it. It just really has big W vibes, which seems odd for a cosmetics company. Yeah, and it really appears that Sophie and Mia are jumping on board this gender neutral beauty trend, which is really big in the market. So brands that are already doing a great job of it so far. Our YouTuber Patrick Stars brand one Size, along with we Are Fluid two Deep Beauty, and also Rhianna's fenty Now. The first launch featured three nude lipsticks which cost thirty four to ninety five each or eighty nine ninety five for a pack of three, and I was really surprised that they went with nude lipsticks to start with because the term nude in the makeup world is considered a light skin color, so for me, the term doesn't really seem on brand, considering they're trying to push inclusivity. And it also did surprise me that their first product was a lipstick, considering we have to wear masks in public now.
Speaker 2: Do you know what?
Speaker 1: Though, it could be a case of Sophie and Me are banking on the lipstick effect. So for those who haven't heard about it, the theory is that consumers are willing to buy less costly luxury goods.
Speaker 2: During an economic crisis.
Speaker 1: So basically, instead of buying a designer handbag, people are more willing to buy an expensive lipstick instead. And during a lot of the economic declines, we have seen that lipstick sales have gone up a lot, so maybe they're banking on this being the case for the pandemic. I would assume though, ellipstick would be a good beauty item to test as well, because it wouldn't be that expensive to have made. And if you look at what Me has done previously with the slickstick that was a white label product, that she just needed to put her branding on. I'm wondering if this lipstick is also a white label product, it's the easiest.
Speaker 2: One to push ower.
Speaker 1: What's interesting you say that, Amy, because they're touting their products as Australian made, cruelty free, vegan and obviously they think by saying that they can put the thirty five dollar price mark, because thirty five dollars.
Speaker 2: Is very expensive for ellipstick.
Speaker 1: But is this their target audience the people that follow them, because they seem to be going for a very woke audience. But I feel like a lot of woke people don't particularly like me A plastic and Sophicacia. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, and when I did a little bit of a research into gender neutral cosmetics, it really seems like it's the up and coming thing and something that a lot of people are jumping on board with, which.
Speaker 2: Is really really great.
Speaker 1: However, I was surprised with the branding because it's very avert that, oh, this is a product for everyone, whereas someone like Fenti, their messaging is more subtle. It's just very inclusive language, and I don't know, I personally thought that more being subtle about it would be better marketing to make it feel like this is just an everyday, every human thing. It seems more genuine, doesn't it the fente branding. But we've seen the likes of James Charles be the face of cosmetic brands, and I think it's a space that has been evolving quite a lot. So it's not something that you need to be so overt with. It's more something that you bring into your marketing and think, hey, we've actually got these two demographics that we can market to. How do we do that while being authentic. What does seem to have overshadowed this launch, though, is an Instagram story that Sophie Keisha shared this week.
Speaker 2: Now. She shared a.
Speaker 1: Video of herself quality testing lipsticks before they were packed and shipped. In the video, she explains that she is individually going through ten thousand lipsticks to ensure there are no duds now. In the vision, Sophie is not wearing a mask, gloves, or hairnet and is seen wiping her nose with a lipstick in her hand.
Speaker 2: I couldn't help but laugh at this video.
Speaker 1: It's pretty ironic because the video is captioned something I learned from my business partner Acacia is the importance of quality control. Now, it doesn't seem like too much quality control is going into place if you are actually wiping your nose with the product, not actually wearing safety equipment, particularly in a pandemic. When I saw that, I just thought, what on earth is she thinking? What possessed her to post this video? Well?
Speaker 2: Where was anybody telling her within her team? Hate? I think this is a really good idea.
Speaker 1: Well. The video has caused a lot of backlash, with many people asking ISUU for a statement on their safety breach, and they did reply to some of the concerns on Instagram. One of their responses read as a small new business, we have definitely taken this on board and reached out to a manufacturers who gave us the best practices to use moving forward. So then on Wednesday, they took it a step further and shared a post on their Instagram story which read, the team at Asuru would like to acknowledge the concerns of our customers regarding a video that was shared this week by one of our company directors. We acknowledge that this wasn't the best practice nor aligned with our policies and procedures. Surrounding the safe handling of products. Working in partnership with our contract manufacturers, we have reinforced the strict processes and protocols to our staff members to ensure mistakes like this aren't made again. It is important to note that the specific batch of lipsticks handled that morning have been disposed of. We thank you for your feedback. Now, do you guys actually think that the lipsticks were disposed of? Well, that's a lot of lipsticks, isn't it If it was ten thousand that Sophie went through, particularly for a startup, Yeah, particularly for someone that in the comments has said we are a new business and we are learning. You don't think that. Like usually with a first drop, you only purchase a small amount of products to see how it goes. So I'm questioning did they actually really dispose of the products or did they dispose of the products? Are only Sophie touched? Meaning did she just put that video up for a bit of a flex saying that she's looking through all the lipsticks, but in fact she's only really quality controlled two of them. So they've just got rid of those lies. I want to see the lipsticks being disposed of. If this actually and if it was ten thousand or I mean, it seems like a real waste, doesn't it, Like surely they could have gifted them to family and friends.
Speaker 2: Well, when they.
Speaker 1: Say disposed of, they probably have just given them to family and friends. You probably hit the nail on the head there. I did think it was also quite embarrassing how they said that in the statement we've had to reinforce the strict process and protocols to our staff members, particularly when the staff member in question is one of the directors of the company who is trying to flex and say she s had so much experience with their pajama brand. Oh, it was also embarrassing and really not a very good first impression for a brand who is trying to position themselves in the market as a luxury cosmetic brand.
Speaker 2: With thirty five dollars.
Speaker 1: Lipsticks, and if we do some quick maths, if they had to get rid of ten thousand of the lipsticks priced at thirty four ninety five, that's three hundred and forty nine, five hundred dollars of lost revenue. I do find this all very ironic that this has come from Sophie Kaisha sharing a post trying to convince consumers about her brand's quality control.
Speaker 2: I will forget each and every one of you almost immediately.
Speaker 4: So if you do find yourself at a loose end next year, I think it might be nice to pop in and see how we're getting on.
Speaker 3: Don't not doing anybody's tea tonight?
Speaker 2: Where Chippy.
Speaker 4: Ill our Fish, Jiptum Monkey beat.
Speaker 1: Fresh from selling his Gold Coast mansion, it appears Mitch Orville is now the part owner of a takeaway store. Sophie, what do we know so far about Mitch's new venture. Well, On Wednesday, a photo of Mitch posing outside Shack Takeaway appeared on the store's new Instagram account. The caption read, the Shack Takeaway owners, we are so excited to see you all very soon once we are open. From Reno's keep your eyes peeled now. The store is part of the popular Nobby's Beach Strip near Mermaid Beach on the Gold Coast, and it was quite interesting to take a look at their Instagram account because it shows that Jiglio Construction is actually renovating the inside of the store. Now that name might sound familiar to you because they also renovated the Orvil's house. So many people are wondering how hands on Mitch's role will be in this business, and some have speculated that he may be an investor or financial backer. I mean, I'm assuming he's not going to be making the juices there. No, I don't think we'll see him front of house. And it is interesting when you do take a look at the other three owners pictured in the photo, because two of the part owners are a married couple who already run a successful juice bar and superfood store in the same precinct called Nobby's Shack. Also pictured is the CEO of Jiglio Construction, who, as I mentioned, is doing the renovations on the takeaway store. So it's quite interesting because I feel like the CEO and Mitch must be taking more of a strategic approach towards the takeaway business. I'm really wondering what's going to be on the menu at this takeaway store. I think they should sell an iconic smashed avo and fitter toast. Remember Mitch chanting down on that one of his iconic YouTube video.
Speaker 2: The side of chilled moon water or something like that. Well, I'm guessing it's not going to.
Speaker 1: Be your typical fast food restaurant. It is interesting because if you look at the owners who own Nobby's Shack, they also run a cafe that serves immune boosting juices and also very nourishing food, So I think it will be along the same line of that. Does anyone else feel quite happy for Mitch because I feel like this is a really good move from him. He's gone off social media, He's starting this business. Yeah. I think starting a new business, particularly one in hospitality, isn't an easy task, and I do think it is great that instead of staying in that social media world, which is clearly making him incredibly unhappy, he's going and looking at new opportunities. And I think that he would do a.
Speaker 2: Great job with this restaurant.
Speaker 1: I mean, so this is the big opportunity then that the real estate agent was hinting at, because remember when they sold their house, they said, oh, they're moving on to bigger and better things. It does make me think I wonder if Mitch is going to jump back on social media to promote this or if he's just going to keep it organic, because I suppose it's not like a retail thing where you can get your followers to buy your products. It's very much you have to be on the Gold Coast in the Knobby's precinct area. Well, I think because it is a takeaway store, it doesn't look like at the moment that it's a huge franchise. I think it's probably just something that he wants to take a step back and dip his toe in the water of running a business. Obviously, he loves the lifestyle.
Speaker 2: It's right near the beach.
Speaker 1: If I was his business partners though, I'd be saying get back on social media, let's do a bit of promotion to get people down there.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Since the news broke, there has been some discussion around whether Mitch's vaccination status will affect his role at the cafe because currently in Queensland, rule state that only vaccinated staff and patrons will be allowed to enter hospitality venues such as cafes, restaurants and fast food outlets. However, it does outline that vaccination isn't required for pays entering food courts.
Speaker 2: So I do wonder if.
Speaker 1: There's a little bit of a loophole here for Mitch's venue, because it does outline on the Instagram account that it is a takeaway only store.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would probably be the loophole.
Speaker 1: Well, that being said, the vaccine mandate is currently under review by the Queensland government, so it looks like authorities are set to make a call on whether they will scrap those measures at the end of the month. Yeah, it should be really interesting. But I just want to wish Mitch well because I think this is a really exciting new venture for him and I'd love to see him succeed offline and you know, bring that happiness back because he clearly wasn't happy when he was online earlier.
Speaker 3: Hi, guys, welcome back to my channel. I hope you're all doing wow. So for today's video, I'm coming to you with a Valentine's Day inspired it gets ready with me.
Speaker 1: On Monday, social media was a wash with Valentine's Day posts as influencers shared their loved up moments. Now, have you guys noticed there seems to be three types of couples on Valentine's Day? So firstly you've got the ones that go overboard, then there's the ones that send the obligatory flowers, and then there are those who don't sell braided at all. Where do you guys fit on this scale? I feel like Amy you were incredibly thoughtful this year with Valentine's Day, because I do think as a woman, it is difficult to think of a Valentine's Day gift for a man. But I feel like you nailed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did a chocolate and beer bouquet because I felt bad because Dale always gets me really nice flowers each year, and then I never know what to get him.
Speaker 2: So the year before I got him.
Speaker 1: A bottle of wine and it just felt a bit flat.
Speaker 2: So I did make the effort.
Speaker 1: I feel like girls are a bit more thoughtful with some of the stuff they give because you actually made that book. Yeah you've missed that point because you've got a reel on our Instagram account of you putting it together. And I was very impressed because really those type of baskets can cost a lot of money if you buy if you outsource it, but I'm assuming it was a little bit cheaper. Do you know Dale has already eaten all of the chocolates from how many ways. It's so funny because I put it. I put the bouquet outside our room and it sort of sat there for the whole week. And the whole week it's we're recording on a Thursday, Valentine's I was on a Monday four days so to get the chocolates to stand up, I had to hot glue gun skewers onto the back of chocolates.
Speaker 2: And today I looked and there were just.
Speaker 1: All these empty skewers that were still in the bouquet. I reckon.
Speaker 2: I was about.
Speaker 1: Fifteen chocolate bars. They were king size as well. There was a lot of chocolate, and there was fair rashers there.
Speaker 2: I think there's two of those left.
Speaker 1: See for me, I felt a little bit bad at seeing you do that because I didn't really go overboard. I feel like Reese and I more are in that category of the obligatory flowers, because Reees got me a beautiful bunch of roses and a card, and then I got him a rose like standing up rose bush because we really want to put them down the side of our house. What about you, Sophie, I feel like you're you and Brandon fall into the overboard category. Oh I wouldn't say overboard, but okay, hang on. If you don't say overboard, then what did you What have you got? The last two years of Valentine's Days?
Speaker 2: Actually that Yeah, it was a bit over the top last year.
Speaker 1: But it's not over the top in the sense of over the top romantic.
Speaker 2: It's more the we seem to buy each other large.
Speaker 1: Scale gifts as opposed to something expensive gifts as opposed to something that's romantic. So for Valentine's Day last year, Brandon did buy me an expensive lens for my camera. And then this year he bought me some sand shoes and he did do the flame shoes.
Speaker 2: You sound like you're eighty years old. What Nike Nikes?
Speaker 1: And then a bag of chocolates and flowers and stuff bag.
Speaker 2: Of chocolate, well a little a gift bag.
Speaker 1: That had chocolates in it anyway, So it was very, just very And I did buy him a basketball ring last year as.
Speaker 2: Well, so I did, so it was a little bit over the Time's Day.
Speaker 1: Yes I did, because he bought me this expensive lens and I felt bad. So basically, your Valentine's Day is kind of like Christmas.
Speaker 2: And Birthday gifts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So if we were to crown the most over the top Valentine's Day celebration online, sorry, Sophie, you and Brannon don't actually win. It's actually Tommy Fury and Molly may A second year in a row. So Tommy put men around the world to shame by absolutely spoiling Molly May. So he arranged for a car to collect her and took her to a five star hotel in London, And when she arrived, the room was full of love heart balloons and there was a huge bouquet of white roses sitting on the bed. They then went off to a meal to celebrate. Now, this to me sounds like what a perfect Valentine's Day? Would you guys want that? I have always had a dream of someone putting balloons in a room like that. For me, probably from seeing Molly May stories. I always thought if I was to get proposed, which obviously has happened, but I would love someone to fill the room with balloons like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it didn't happen. I didn't throw any hints.
Speaker 1: Of that, but I think it looked spectacular did It just made me think there must be a whole load of young girls who follow Molly on Instagram and also Tommy, and they must think that this is just sort of a typical Valentine's Day, and they're going to be very disappointed when they get older and they get the boyfriend that gets them the servo station roses, Well, we do have to remember there are only twenty two. I do wonder what they'll be doing for one another on Valentine's Day in ten years time. The skeptic in me wonders, though, are they just doing it for social media and for appearances, because there's so much speculation around whether they're together and if they don't post something, people think they've broken up, and it almost seems like they have to put on showy stuff to prove that they are in love. Well, there's a lot more pressure on the boyfriends of Instagram on Valentine's Day, isn't there because everyone's sort of waiting to see what they get. But Molly also spoiled Tommy. She made him a photo album filled with handwritten notes about their relationship, and eagle eyed fans spotted another sign that the pair are serious about having kids. So Molly's message read, one day we will have our own family. It'll be the best day of my life. Bring on, Mum and dad life. So this follows a Q and A where Molly revealed she doesn't use contraception and relies on the Flow app to track her fertility. And in a recent vlog, the vlog we mentioned earlier about McDonald's, she confided that she thought she may have been pregnant after her period was four days late, but a test confirmed she wasn't. Now the Love Island couple that brought us back down to reality was Milly and and they were celebrating their first Valentine's Day together. Now it was in stark contrast to the celebration that we saw Molly and Tommy have. So Milly informed us on Valentine's Day morning that she'd given Liam some after shave, and when she passed that present over, it was quite clear that he had completely forgotten that it was Valentine's Day, and he did a dash to Testo to pick up some flowers, which looked pretty average. Apparently he also picked up some Valentine's Day pens as well to add to it pens and also a little dessert. So he was clearly trying hard. And we you have to remember he is only twenty one, even though he looks about thirty five.
Speaker 2: He is a.
Speaker 1: Twenty one year old boy, and most twenty one year old boys are completely.
Speaker 2: Hopeless, so he clearly didn't think about the gram.
Speaker 1: No, he wasn't thinking about the ground, but he kind of made me love them as a couple more because Milli later shared a post saying, it's not about expensive gifts and you know, gestures the fact that they can spend the day together just chilling out watching TV. That's what's important to them, just spending time together. Girlfriend says, who doesn't receive a big budge her, Yes, I think the most awkward thing with the influence of boyfriends who forget is the fact that all the brands send their girlfriends really.
Speaker 2: Over the top thing.
Speaker 1: So you see all those like smash Box Loollie Cakes and all this really extravagant stuff, and it's just like, oh God, the brand could even remember and new could. So another love islander who made us all feel a little bit better on Valentine's Day was Olivia Attwood. So she shared a screenshot of a text message exchange between her and her soccer player fiance Brad Dak. Olivia's message read, Brad, I'm so angry. I feel like I'm going to pass out. Are you actually joking with that top room? There are holes all over the fucking door. What's wrong with you? She then captured it in case anybody is feeling bad about being single today. Olivia went on to explain that her text message was in response to Brad hanging a dart board on the back of one of their new doors, which cost them a small fortune. She finished off her instant stories by telling her followers, so yeah, being single, it ain't all bad kids. Well, on a local front, Sammy Robinson received the nicest bunch of roses I think I've ever seen so good on Jordan Simmy. He might not be good at power point presentations, but he's good at picking out roses. As for Tammy Hembro, she shared the cutest homemade cards her kids made her and even Chloe Zepp and Mitchell Orval were feeling a little bit romantic on Valentine's Day, he cooked her a steak and potatoes. Now, I do love Valentine's Day because it also increases the speculation around whether some couples are together or not together. Because interestingly, Madison Wooly shared a snap of her and her best friend Olivia Pratt and manager Georgia Knight out for dinner for a Gallantine's Meal. Now this is a big sign that her and on again off again boyfriend Jonathan Sower may finally be done because Madison was also seen holiday and with her best friend Caitlin Rodriguez a couple of weeks ago. The pair are still following each other, but they haven't been liking one another's photos, which is also another side. We've also had some people sending us rumors which I I think are incorrect, that she and Mitch Third have been messaging it. Well, Mitch has been liking a hell of a lot of it photos. Wouldn't know about bunny relationship match. It would, but I remember from past flog days that Madison and Tylia Scanes are friends, so maybe it's just a friendship thing.
Speaker 4: Don't make out like we are forcing each other to be in this, So maybe we don't want monogamy. As much as you value monogamy, we value nor monogamy.
Speaker 1: Abby Chatfield was revealed she isn't an open relationship with boyfriend Conrad bn Stevens. The announcement has been met with mixed reactions, with many applauding Abby for normalizing open relationships, while others can't seem to get their heads around it. So Abby sounded quite nervous to make the announcement. Yeah, that's right, Amy. The night before the episode went live, Abby did an Instagram story lying in bed with Conrad in their pajamas, and she sounded so nervous. She told her followers that Conrad would be appearing on her podcast It's a Lot the next morning to share an announcement about their relationship, and she prefaced it by saying she's scared to talk about it because she doesn't want people abusing her. Now, the next morning, the couple announced that they're in an open relationship. Here's a snippet of what Abby and Conrad said.
Speaker 4: So well, speaking of how much pussy you could get. Now, before we tell you all this, here's a few things we need to explain to you. First of all, we're in love. We aren't breaking up. Everyone coming Daddy, aren't breaking up. We're just having a different structure to our relationship.
Speaker 2: So we're open.
Speaker 4: So we're in like an open relationship, which we love. I mean to be fair, I haven't had anyone yet, which is annoying.
Speaker 2: You fucked someone, which was iconic.
Speaker 1: Now, Abby and Conrad reiterated during the podcast that they had independently decided that they wanted to be in an open relationship before they even met, and it was also something that they discussed before sleeping together. She was also quick to point out that while something that works for them, it doesn't mean that it has to work for everyone else. Now amy, For those who might not have heard about ethical non monogamy before, what is it? Well, it's described as a committed romantic relationship where all partners consent to sexual or romantic encounters with other consenting individuals, and there are various types of ethical non monogamy, including swinging, polyamory and other forms of open relationships. So, depending on the couple, only one partner may act outside the relationship, or both partners may.
Speaker 2: Act outside it.
Speaker 1: It may involve only sexual connections with others or romantic connections, or sometimes both. So in order for these relationships to work, honesty, communication, and negotiation must all be involved, and everyone must consent to the situation without cohersion, deception.
Speaker 2: Or guilt tripping.
Speaker 1: So as for Abby and Conrad's open relationship, they're considered the primary people within it, and they are allowed to go have sexual encounters with others. However, they're not allowed to form emotional connections. And I believe some of the rules were that they can only have sex with that person once, and they can't have sex with someone that they've been in a former relationship with or slept with before. So those are their rules, but people have very different rules in open relationships. That just comes down to communicating with each other what those rules are. Now. Before breaking the news on their podcast, Abby and Conrad said that they have shared the news with other people in their friendship circles, and it seems like they have had quite a bad reaction from some people. Abby said that many people acted with either extreme upset or anger, and she said she was really over having to explain to people how their relationship works. Do you think it's because a lot of people put themselves in Abby and conrade shoes and go I could never do this because I personally could never imagine having an open relationship. It doesn't mean you can't respect no exactly, That's what I mean, And I just think it's so disrespectful of everyone. I mean, the thing is, in your everyday life, if your friend came to you and told you that they were in an open relationship, I can't understand actually going back at them and saying that you didn't agree with it, because at the end of the day, it's everyone's own personal decision. And it seems like Abby and Conrad have had to come out about this because they live in the public eye.
Speaker 2: So if they didn't.
Speaker 1: Come out and tackle this head on and be really open and honest about it, I can just imagine what Abby's dms would have been, like, oh, Conrad's cheated with me, or like the articles in the Daily Mail. So I think that they've really done this in a really positive and open way. And now it's just I just feel bad for them for getting so much backlash over it, because it's their lives.
Speaker 2: Let them live their lives how they want to live them. Well, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: Abby said that she was worried that people would project their own feelings about their own relationship into hers, and she was very f that's definitely happy, yeah, and she was very frustrated over that point. And as you say, Kate, Abbi revealed that because of their high profile status as a couple, they were forced to come out with this news about their relationship because Abby said she was scared of receiving dms from fans saying that their friend had slept with Conrad, and she was also very concerned that The Daily Mail would publish a photo of Conrad out kissing other girls in public and and they would then frame the story that Abby was being cheated on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just was.
Speaker 1: Shocked how surprised everyone was, because having listened to Abby's podcast, it didn't surprise me at all that she and Conrad were in an open relationship, because she's spoken a lot before about how she's previously been in an open relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, Abby did go into it on the podcast episode and said that for her, it is a kink to have her partners sleep with other people.
Speaker 4: Here's what she said, the more like try to like diagnose me, like it's because you've been cheated on so much you think it's all your worth.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, it's my kink.
Speaker 4: And then I'm sitting at a dinner table with strangers saying my kink is wanting him to fuck other people? Do you want me to explain that more? And they go, no, that can't be true.
Speaker 1: I think it's really good that Abby actually referenced that this is her kink, because otherwise a lot of people might have thought being a bit misogynistic. Oh, Conrad must have forced her into this. Conrad just wants to go around and have sex with other women. It's funny you say that, Amy, because it's actually the complete opposite. Abby is being accused of pressuring Conrad into having an open relationship, despite the fact that Conrad is the one that's actually slept with someone else, and Abby said she hasn't yet. And it just seems wild to me because every time Conrad and Abby are in the media, she is being portrayed as the person that's in the wrong all the time and the baddie, and he's portrayed as, oh, he's just being led along by Abby. I think the reason that people jumped to conclusions and thought that Abby was trying to force him is because he admitted that he has never been in an open relationship before. But they then did reiterate that it was a choice they made before they even met. And as you touched on, Kate, Conrad has revealed that he has had sex with someone else, and it was someone who has been involved in an open relationship before. They referred to her as a third Now. Abby said that she's been too busy with her national radio show to have sex with anyone else, and also that she does find it difficult to meet new people, so really doesn't play into this persona that a lot of critics are trying to push that Abby is the one forcing Conrad into this. It's pretty disgusting that the Courier Mail then published off the back of this podcast a story with the headline Abbi Chatfield and Conrad bian Stevens we can cheat on each other. This was shared across their Instagram, clearly for clicks, and the heading was so incredibly misleading and really missed the mark on what could have been a really important discussion about open relationships now. Abbi responded to the Courier Mail on Instagram, writing, Lol, what a wildly misleading, gross title. When we say we can cheat on each other, we mean there are boundaries in our open relationship that can be crossed and would be called cheating. But we are open If we sleep with other people that isn't considered cheating. Jesus Christ, how embarrassing for you. What did you guys think.
Speaker 2: About this article?
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like there are two very different demographics who are commenting on this story online. You've got the boomers who are outraged by the story who can't believe that Abby and Conrad are in an open relationship.
Speaker 2: And then you've got the other side of the.
Speaker 1: Internet, who are the woke gen Zea's who are really outraged at the fact that people are having a say about private relationship. I just think it's so brave of Abby and Conrad to be so public about their relationship because in Australia, the concept of ethical non monogamy is relatively new, and I feel like those interested in actually pursuing having multiple partners and those sort of relationships, they often lack any sort of social support and understanding, so many find it really difficult to broach the topic with family and friends and also co workers. I feel like it's very taboo at the moment, but now that Abby is bringing it out into the mainstream, it's going to open up so many important discussions and help normalize these sorts of relationships. And I think that's why the backlash is so sad, Because these two well known people are in an open relationship. We should be applauding that and actually looking at them to educate others on this type of relationship, except we're now demonizing them and trolling them for coming out and being truthful about the status of their relationship. Well, I think that's all we have time for today. Thank you so much for joining us for today's episode. If you have enjoyed it, could you please make sure you are subscribed on Apple Podcasts and Spotify. And if you want to join in on the conversations, head over to our Facebook group, which is outspoken for the podcast community.