Speaker 1: Yeah, at the time it was really hard, I guess yeah, like being bullied a little bit and just losing all self worth going into the depths of depression.
Speaker 2: It was it was like, I'm not going to sugarcoat it.
Speaker 1: It's not it's not a fun place to be and it's not something that I would wish on anyone else. But at the same time, I'm so grateful for it because I know now how important and pivotal that was for me to experience to be able to come out of it into the person that I am today.
Speaker 3: Then finally making hello and welcome back to the Rise and Conquer Podcast. This is the podcast for my girl gain who want to take control of their lives, gain the confidence to live unapologetically, and for those who are ready to make their biggest dreams into their reality. We had a little break last week, but I am so excited to be back in your ears today. In this EPP, I'm joined by Sunshine Lover, photographer, content creator, travel enthusiast, author and yogi Sianna Elise Siana Radio so much joy and positivity and in today's chat, we dive deep into yoga, travel morning routines, overcoming depression, and anxiety, and of course we dive into her new book, You Will Rise. I felt so full of life after my chat with Sianna, and I hope you do too. Let's get straight into the show. Hello Sianna and welcome to the Rise and Conker Podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited for you to be here and to chat about your new book. But before we get into that, a question that I'm asking all my Season three guests is what is a daily, non negotiation, full practice that you do to really step into your power and feel yourself.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: There's so many things that I could say here, but I feel like the biggest one is probably just gratitude.
Speaker 2: And so it's not even something that you have to physically do.
Speaker 1: It's just being open and you're opening up your heart in your mind to being in the present moment and to give thanks back to the universe for all of the beautiful bussings that we're gifted with.
Speaker 3: Ah, that's beautiful. And so do when you kind of practice gratitude, do you write it down or do you just think it? What is the practice for you?
Speaker 1: It's different all the time, So sometimes I'll write it down. I am a list person, and I do love writing in my journal, and there's something about putting pen to paper that's just divine. But sometimes it's more just in the moment, like I will be out in nature and you just take a moment to close your eyes and take a couple of deep belly breaths and to connect within, or when you feel the sunshine on your skin and you can't help but lift the corner edges of your mouth, or.
Speaker 2: Before I eat.
Speaker 1: I don't always do this, but I like to whenever I can or whenever and I remember to, And it works really well when you're making a home cooked meal with really fresh produce, just giving thanks and awareness and gratitude for the things that you're about to eat and knowledge of where it comes from as well, just.
Speaker 2: Giving it some recognition.
Speaker 1: So like all the time that we're spent cultivating it and growing it and all of the hands and the energy that went into putting it in front of you.
Speaker 3: I love that. That's definitely it's definitely a beautiful way of doing that. And I love that it's like really just being really intentional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly perfect.
Speaker 3: So for those who don't know who you are, could you give us a quick snapshot of who Ciana is.
Speaker 2: That's that's like a broad question.
Speaker 1: I feel like I just I feel like I just want to say I am because we are apt, but I guess, for the sake of.
Speaker 2: It, I've I'm Siana.
Speaker 1: I'm from Newcastle, Australia, little beach town, which is amazing in summer and it's well everywhere, it's challenging in winter. For me, I'm a summer bunny. I've been around the sun twenty five times in this lifetime. I am definitely a hugger, and I guess I refer to myself often as like a sunshine seeking, happy being, yoga doing inventure enthusiast.
Speaker 2: And now I'm also a published author.
Speaker 3: That How amazing does that feel like to say that?
Speaker 1: Honestly, I knew i'd be excited, but I didn't understand how excited I would be. It literally feels like a birthday, like but so much better.
Speaker 2: Like I don't like birthday. It's like how I imagine about they should feel.
Speaker 3: Oh, that is amazing, And so we will get into your beautiful, beautiful book. I've got it sitting here right beside me, and I cannot wait to get into that, But before we do, let's kind of really get into your background and basically how this amazing life has come to be. So I know that you talk about this experience of being in school and suffering from bullying and anxiety and depression, and then leaving school at age sixteen and going into university quite early and then really having to go on a journey from a journey, sorry, to recover from that. Can you tell us a little bit about what that experience was like and what that recovery looked like.
Speaker 1: It was it was heavy and it was dark. I think everyone's got a story to tell. And that's the beautiful part about our existence is that it does have so many ups and downs that in the moment they're so hard to get through, but in retrospect they're just beautiful curves outlining our entire lifetime. But in the yeah, at the time, it was really hard, I guess, yeah, like being bullied a little bit and just losing all self worth going into the depth of depression. It was it was like, I'm not going to sugarcoat it's it's not a fun place to be and it's not something that I would wish on anyone else, But At the same time, I'm so grateful for it because I know now how important and pivotal that was for me to experience to be able to come out of it into the person that I am today.
Speaker 3: I love that and I always talk about on this podcast, you know, like using using your mess as your message, and I think that's something that you've really done. And I love that you're so open about these topics on your social media. I think it's really important to sort of take the stigma and to boo away from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, transparency is key, I think because you feel so alone when you're going through something like that, and you don't you honestly don't think that anyone can understand and that no one else has ever been that deep into it before, and so you feel so separate and disconnected not only from yourself but from everyone and everything around you, and these start to become really numb. And so I think transparency I've learned from experience help not only me to heal myself, but for others not to feel so alone and then be able to connect without as well as within.
Speaker 3: And I know that you're huge on when you're feeling a certain way, and especially you know a feeling of anxiety or depression. What you do now is you really sit with the emotion and you honor it, and you work through it instead of trying to push it away. And I absolutely love this and it's definitely a process that I have been going through myself in the last year of seeing the psychologists and really sort of digging into that. And I was wondering if you have any tips for the R and C community on what your process is when you are in one of those, you know, ruts or emotions.
Speaker 1: I think it's probably most important to firstly just be self with yourself, be kind and be forgiving, and be understanding and compassion of where you are at this point in your life, and know that everything comes and goes in phases, nothing's permanent, and that everything's temporary, and that within that understanding there's actually so much beauty and comfort to be found the fact that even when you're at your.
Speaker 4: Highest high, that too also won't last.
Speaker 1: Like, it's so beautiful to be able to come back and be like, Okay, I'm just going to enjoy the moment for whatever it is, knowing that I'm learning the lessons that I need to, and then I can then integrate those into my life.
Speaker 3: I love that, and it's kind of like I always think about it when I'm going through a bit of a rough patch and kind of I call it kind of like a growing phase or an evolving phase. Is what helps me, is Yeah, like tapping into that this is a season and it's okay to be uncomfortable. I think a lot of us anytime we get a feeling that is quite uncomfortable, we try and shy way for it or push it down. So really tapping into it and evolving that way, I think is really key to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you've got to feel it to heal it.
Speaker 1: I think if you like the little quotes like your message is your message, I think you'll really like the but you've got to feel it to heal it as well.
Speaker 3: I love that. Okay, So I want to switch gears and talk about your yoga. So I know that you're a huge yogi and I found it quite funny to hear that you tried it at age twelve and you didn't have the best experience, and then you started again at age eighteen. Could you tell us about your journey with yoga and how it's helped you to become the person you are today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I did try yoga when I was twelve. I tried it like once, and I think I just tried the wrong style, So I think I tried bigram. At the time, it was very hot, very intense. It was like a carpeted floor, and yeah, it was not as warm and glowy as like quote unquote I pictured yoga to be.
Speaker 2: But at the time, like I was twelve, I didn't really know any better, and so I just didn't really go back.
Speaker 1: And then going through depression, I found yoga, or rather I like to say that it found me when I needed most, and it really was something that pulled me back into what was important and what really mattered, and it pulled me back into not only my body in the senses, but into something much deeper and more important as well. And so from there I started to just slowly but surely refine myself and rEFInd happiness and love and compassion. And I think that's a big part of it, is being able to be compassionate for everyone and everything and understanding that we all have our own journey. So I know some people think that depression is almost selfish, and having gone through it myself, you don't have the capacity to even comprehend something like that because it is an illness, and I think it's probably very misunderstood in that way. But at the same time, it does feel like, or for me at least, yoga was able to remind me of what it felt like to hold space for other things, others than your own darkness and grief.
Speaker 3: I've never I've never heard someone speaking about it in that way, and it's such an insight an insightful sort of looking at it. And so for you, was this process of you know, having a practice that gave you that capacity and space super key with your mental health. And do you still use it now for that sort of side of things or has it turned into something different now?
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: I definitely still use it for that, but it's more it's just a lifestyle now, so I don't consciously go, Okay, when am I going to do my yoga today. It's like I need to do it almost and I've found a way to integrate and to weave it throughout my day to day movements so that I'm not even necessarily practicing yoga just when I'm on my mat. Like to me, now, yoga is what I learn on my matt and I take with me out into the rest of the world.
Speaker 2: So it's the lessons.
Speaker 1: And it's breathing, and it's taking a moment of clarity and calm, and it's connecting to my food before I eat it, and it's being mindful of what I say before I speak, and which doesn't always happen. I'm human, but it's just the little things. It's Yeah, it's the way that you talk to yourself. It's the subtle language and the stories that we're telling ourselves constantly. Yeah, And so in that way, yoga is definitely in my day, every single day, in every single way as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when I was going through depression, I used it to heal and I started just taking photos on the beach every morning of poses that I thought I might be able to do that I'd seen on Instagram. And I was studying photojournalism at UNI at the time. When I left school, I went straight to university at sixteen and was doing photography, but because it was part of an arts degree and I didn't really know what I wanted to do, so I just had to rock up at UNI. That was my mom's thing. She was like, you just have to go to UNI. I don't care if you were your pajamas, you just have to go.
Speaker 2: So I did.
Speaker 4: Most days, I wore my pajamas and my ugbits and I'd rock up and yes, I'd take photos.
Speaker 2: In the mornings of sunrise beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yoga poses on the beach, or what I thought was yoga. Turns out it probably wasn't. It was a pose, but it wasn't done correctly or in alignment. And I had no idea about the background of yoga or the philosophy and what it's true essence was. So my mom suggested that I do a yoga teacher training course, and so I did. I went to Byron Bay and I did it at the Byron Bay Yoga Center, which was beautiful. I did an intensive one. So you go there and you stay on the premise for I think it was like three or four weeks and you just eat, breathe, sleep yoga, and it's beautiful. And it's such a way to fully grasp and understand exactly what yoga is and how can weave so effortlessly into your.
Speaker 2: Day and throughout the rest of your life.
Speaker 1: And how you can share that so authentically and genuinely with other people whilst honoring their own path at the same time. So yeah, I did that and then started teaching retreats around the world. And I guess here we are today not teaching retreats around the world because of COVID.
Speaker 3: No, yes, of course, And so talk to us about your daily practice with yoga. I know you did mention it's not just on the mat, but what does it look like for you in regards to when you do it and how long and that sort of side of things.
Speaker 1: It honestly just depends on my day and what I have scheduled in. But whether it be I like to meditate in the morning, so I normally get in a twenty minute meditation, sometimes a little bit longer if it takes me twenty minutes to actually warm up and quiet my mind enough.
Speaker 2: To be able to sit there in stillness.
Speaker 1: And other times if I'm short on time, I won't get time to meditate at all sometimes, or maybe it'll just be like a five or ten minute one if I get a chance. But even if you just like add in public, like if I'm on public transport, which I haven't been.
Speaker 2: Since COVID, but last year.
Speaker 1: Like if you're on a train or something like that, I would take that as an opportunity just to find some stillness within. And I think that's a beautiful way to do it as well. You don't even have to do it with your eyes closed, Like a walking meditation can be great sometimes as well. And I think I do that most or most not I was gonna say most days, but a lot of days I'll go for a like a.
Speaker 2: Big long walk around my neighborhood.
Speaker 1: And I love that because I do it alone, and for me, it's me time, and it is a it's a moving meditation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And sometimes I just wake up and I'll just sit in child's pose on my bed for twenty thirty minutes. And other times it's getting on my mat and doing a proper flow, or going into the studio and teaching and or practicing.
Speaker 3: And so for someone who is a complete beginner, probably like myself, who you know loves this idea of yoga and slowing down and being mindful and giving their body space and time, what would you recommend for a place to start you haven't done yoga before, I know, I personally like I totally have, but I am such like a I've got so much pitter energy. I'm like soone to like sweat and like do wag and stuff. But in saying that, I have recently been diagnosed with Poshimoto's, a thioid disease, and my nature path is like, you need to slow down, So I'm like, maybe I should.
Speaker 2: Dry your Definitely give it a go.
Speaker 1: But I would recommend for anyone either like you or completely new to it, to know what you're looking for. So don't expect your yoga practice to be a handstand on a beautiful beach somewhere straight away. Understand that it's a process, and that it's a divine process and an unfolding and an opportunity to look within and to learn so much more about yourself and to me.
Speaker 2: Yoga's connection.
Speaker 1: It's connection to the self, connection to source, connection to others, and to Divinity itself. So yeah, know what you're seeking out of you yoga practice, whether it be like you would originally want to be just hot and sweaty, maybe you prefer a Bickram class or a Nushtunger class, because there's so many different types of yoga, and I think That's one problem that a lot of people encounter when trying yoga is that they try one style and they're either oblivious or unaware of the other styles out there. And then even within each style, you'll resonate differently with different teachers and the way that they integrate their own lessons throughout the classes. And then on top of that, there's also different ways to be taught, so whether you go into a studio or you do it online, and they're all very different experiences. So I guess just being open minded and going into it being like, hey, I'll give this a t and I'm aware that it might not be for me and that's okay, Or maybe I need to try a couple of different classes at different studios with different teachers before you can actually understand what you're looking for and what resonates most with you. But if you're a full beginner, it can be so intimidating to start yoga. People say to me all the time, like, I really want to try yoga, but I'm not flexible enough, And I think to myself, that's so counterintuitive.
Speaker 2: That's the point.
Speaker 1: It's not even flexibility of the body, but flexibility of the mind. To go into it with an open mind and just to just to see it as play, as an opportunity to just connect and have some fun. You don't have to be so serious about it. And I know that yoga in the way it's originally taught or traditionally taught in India is a little bit more serious like that, but it makes it so much more accessible the way that we've integrated it into Western society.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, just have a go, just play around, see what suits you.
Speaker 3: I love that, all right, I'll do it. I'll do it.
Speaker 1: Maybe you do need a y Inn class. Yin's beautiful, but maybe if you like I love y in. But I find that I need to sweat a little bit first, So I'll often do a full vinaca class first and then do a y in class after, and then I find that my mind's actually quiet enough to be able to enjoy sitting in the postures for longer periods of time.
Speaker 3: Interesting. I think it is something like that, Like it's just something about your like getting my sweat on and like moving my body. It just like it's like a bit of a hie for me, if that makes sense. Yeah, So okay, I'm totally gonna do it. You've persuaded me. I'm taking this as.
Speaker 2: A side we went together.
Speaker 3: Yes we should. We're not actually too far. I'm just on the gold co So I guess it is a little bit far.
Speaker 2: At the moment with the borders closed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's put a pin in that.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about you know, COVID and travel, because I know, like you said, you know, you've traveled the world and you've been doing retreats and oh my god, like your photos on Instagram and your experiences must be insane. But tell us a little bit you know about those experiences, but what it looks like currently at the moment with not traveling, and how you're feeling.
Speaker 1: I think, or I feel, that I am so blessed to be able to do what I do and to make a life of it and call it a job.
Speaker 2: And so the opportunities and the experiences.
Speaker 4: That I've had over the past five six years, I've.
Speaker 2: Just been insane.
Speaker 1: It's it's phenomenal the way that I guess, the way that social media has helped to connect so many people around the world, and then the opportunities that creates from that and through that and I think it's probably overlooked, like we wouldn't be able to do retreats as they are now or were last year without social media. So shout out to social media in general, because it's not all bad. I know its it gets a bad rep and I think it can be actually used really healthily.
Speaker 3: This episode is brought to you by Naked Harvest Supplements, the natural supplement company I co founded with my brother. This company was really brought to life because I have been using supplements for such a long time since the start of my fitness journey. But what I really struggled to find was all natural supplements without the crap, that were tailored to women's health and that actually tasted good. And that's how Naked Harvest Supplements was born. Our hero products are a natural pre workout and our vegan Thrive Protein. Our natural pre workout is vegan, gluten free, refine fine, sugar free, and is a natural energy boost without the crash. This is your go to to enhance your workout and to get you in the mood to conquer your day. My favorite flavor is sweet Strawberry, which literally tastes like strawberry clouds, Oh my God, and tropical iced tea, which tastes like that lipped and iced tea drink. It is so refreshing. Our Thrive plant protein is also vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, and it is so smooth for a vegan protein. I know our nhgang loves cooking with it or using it in that post workout smoothie, and so do I. My favorite flavor for the Thrive is definitely our newest pancake batter flavor. It is the real deal and tastes exactly like the name. If you want to enhance your performance and optimize your day, try Naked Harvest now. I've also got a special code for my Rise and Conquer podcast listeners. Just type in Rise and Conquer Podcasts out checkout to receive a sneaky discount that is Rise and Conquer Podcasts and the end is spelt out. It is not the simple. I'll also pop the links in the show notes if you want to check that out. But let's get back into the episode.
Speaker 1: So now, being I guess it does feel a little bit stuck, don't you think We look around and everyone in America is traveling to like Mexico, and everyone in Europe still able to travel between countries, and I think Australia and New Zealand are probably well. I might be wrong, but I think we're two of the only countries that are actually still limited majorly by where we can go. And so it's kind of been nice and humbling in some ways, but very challenging in others.
Speaker 2: Especially through winter.
Speaker 1: I really wanted to travel and get away, but now that summer is approaching, I kind.
Speaker 2: Of like it here.
Speaker 1: So people keep asking me, They're like, where are you going to go when the border is open? Or you can fly wherever you want, and I'm like, to be honest, I love Australia in the summer, like I don't know where I'd rather be.
Speaker 3: That is so true, and I feel the exact same way. Like me and my husband were supposed to go to Europe in the winter, so I was like major like down off for that, but then now that is summer and it's so beautiful, I feel the exact same way. And I'm like, honestly, Australia is so beautiful and we are obviously so lucky to live so close to the beach as well.
Speaker 1: So lucky. And then a couple of my friends have decided to do road trips. They're from Queensland, so they've just kind of gone up north as far as they can and all around Queensland.
Speaker 2: And it's so beautiful here.
Speaker 3: Ah, yes, so true. I've seen a lot of people. I actually have a holiday booked in to go to the WIT Sundays in a couple of weeks and I'm so excited to do that.
Speaker 2: And that's what's pretty envious.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's amazing. And I couldn't agree more in regards to it being humbling and it kind of going, look, I'm going to make you know the best in you know, this sort of situation, if that makes sense, rather than looking at it as such a negative.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think it was always going to happen exactly how it did. And so yeah, just learning from it has been. It's been interesting to witness but beautiful at the same time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. All right, let's switch gears and let's talk about your book, You Will Rise. So I know that I was reading somewhere that you said, I think it was on your Instagram, that this book is seven years in the making. Can you tell us a little bit about that process and why the process has been so long.
Speaker 1: Yes, it has been seven years in the making, which does sound extensive.
Speaker 2: I'm like, in a very long time, I guess because it is.
Speaker 1: But I think at the same time that is why the book is so wholesome and so broad in what it can convey, because it is just a journey or it's a recount. It's a collection of my memories and the experiences that I've been through that are just human experiences. They are things that we all go through, and so there's everything in there, from heartbreak and loss and grief and shame and falling back in love and falling back out of love again, and everything that you can think of what it means to be human is within there. So it is just a journey. And to me, writing is a form of self therapy. I found it when I was healing through depression and I used to just find flow mode or like a state of flow where I would sit in the car after work or UNI and I would just write just in notes on my phone sometimes in a journal for hours, hours and hours and hours, and I would find that I would get home, let's say at like seven pm, and I I would be in the car until one am.
Speaker 2: And I would just lose track of time completely.
Speaker 1: And I knew afterwards that I'd expressed everything, and I'd vented everything that I needed to, and I felt so much calmer and clearer, almost as if I was so separate and distant from the things that I'd embodied so wholesomely only moments before. And then I realized that it was like a hug for my soul to write. And when I began sharing these online, just in captions at first, that's kind of how it started, and captions on Instagram, I began to understand.
Speaker 2: That it had the same effect on the people reading.
Speaker 1: It and consuming it, and I was told by them I would get DMS or emails saying like thank you. I felt so alone and all this is exactly what I've been feeling, but I didn't know how to put words to it. And they felt connected and they felt seen and heard and understood, and that was so important. And so then I kept writing, not because I wanted to, but because my soul needed to.
Speaker 2: And after a while.
Speaker 1: It began to feel like I wasn't the writing the book necessarily, but the book was writing me.
Speaker 3: And so I just want to explain the book to the listeners so they can kind of understand a bit. I've got it in front of me, so I love. So you've got a beautiful sort of passage and it's like some of them are bigger, some of them are smaller. So you've got a beautiful passage and then a photo and it's almost like you said, like these really beautiful short passages of recounts and feelings and just so yeah, beautiful to read. And I also love that it kind of flows in this almost journey with you, and I know from like the contents it's split up into these and I'll read it out if that's okay. So the first chapter it's like unfold and on Earth, love and lust, accept and surrender, growth and gratitude, explore and transcend. Can you explain us a little bit about why you have kind of split it up in these sections and what they mean to you.
Speaker 1: I think it was just the different phases that it felt like my soul had gone through, and different parts that I'd embodied throughout the years, the most memorable ones at least, and all of the poems that are inside the book seem to fit really well, really snug.
Speaker 2: Within each one of these and I want it to be like.
Speaker 1: A journey, a journey not only of the journey that I've been on, but the journey that we will go through. But at the same time, life is so chaotic and so it works just as well. And I love doing this myself. Is just opening up to a random page or setting an intention and then opening up to a page and just trusting that that is what you need to hear that day.
Speaker 3: I love that. I was Actually that was my next question of how would you recommend someone sort of you know, read through this book and go through this book? Do you recommend going from start to finish or is it more like an intuitive pick a page.
Speaker 4: I think you can use it however you want.
Speaker 1: In the introduction I said that I hope that the reader, you, the reader, can.
Speaker 4: Use it as as I do in the ocean.
Speaker 1: So you can go and you can fully submerge, and you can spend hours and hours just enjoying bathing within it, or you can just dip your toe in every now and then whenever you need to.
Speaker 3: I love that. And do you have a favorite section of the book or a favorite passage?
Speaker 1: It honestly changes all the time, literally all the time. Because that's that's what I mean, and like we are such transient beings and where beings of duality and there's so much going on within us that yeah, I think that's why now. I mean, I've obviously read it cover to cover a couple of times, but that's why now I go to it just every day or whenever I feel call too, and just open up to a random page because I know that it will give me whenever I need to hear. And sometimes I'm like, oh, maybe that was yesterday's and I'll do it again.
Speaker 3: I love that I would, actually, and I've been. I've been doing this the last couple of mornings, which I love. I'm a person who, like I love picking like a tarot card. I love picking that sort of side of things. So I have absolutely been loving doing this with your book. And I really wanted to read out the page that I picked today, if that's okay, Yes, please do okay. So this is on page one fifty nine and it says from now on, I'm saying yes yes to the things that I was once afraid of, Yes to the things beyond my comfort zone, and yes to everything I used to say no to. Yes to me yes to you, Yes to liberation, yes to healing, yes to expansion, yes to love. Yeah. I bloody loved that, and I was like, I got yeah, I got all tinkler. I was like, oh, that was for me. I'm hoping that some of the R and C listeners resonate with that too.
Speaker 2: Oh, I hope so as well. That was so sweet. I love hearing you reader.
Speaker 1: Maybe I should get you to do like an audio version and then I'll just like say, every day, do.
Speaker 3: You want me to do the audio book?
Speaker 2: Because I a new place. It's hilarious.
Speaker 3: And I would love to ask you. I'm sure you know as we're talking. It's probably been one of the most amazing experiences writing this book. But has there been any challenges along the way?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's that was like a part of it. I knew that going into it though, because I've never done it, so we're so such unfamiliar territory and it's such exciting territory at the same time, though, because I knew that there was going to be just yeah, things that were out of my control or a lot of little hiccups and things along the way, but they kind of just like lace it really well.
Speaker 4: I suppose kind of like little.
Speaker 2: Gun job buttons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess that the time that went into it was probably something that I had overlooked, so that I submitted a lot more poems that are in there. So I think there's one hundred and fifty in there, but I submitted I think about four hundred. So culling them was really hard because going through and choosing it was impossible for me because I was like, they're all It's like choosing your favorite child, right, I was like, they're all my favorites, and because they all mean so much to me about different things, and every time I read one, I remember exactly where I was, exactly what I was feeling when I wrote it, and who it's about and what I was going through, and so it's really hard to pick.
Speaker 2: And choose between them. So thanks to the publishers for helping me do that.
Speaker 1: The editor is and then but the time into actually making it as well.
Speaker 2: So I finished writing it end of.
Speaker 1: End of last year, and then there was a couple extras that I put in kind of last minute that I was like, Hey, there are more recent ones that I just love and I really.
Speaker 2: Want them in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but most of them were finished end of last year, and so it's been such a process just over the last year of actually creating it into what it is today.
Speaker 4: And I didn't understand that before going through the process.
Speaker 1: I thought it was just like, oh, you write a book and then it's published straight away.
Speaker 2: But no, it's not like that at all.
Speaker 3: Because yeah, I could imagine there would be so much that went into it. And something also that I absolutely love is all the photos that go with it. And I was wondering, are these all photos that you have taken?
Speaker 2: Most of them are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so most of them over the last six years when I've been traveling, So they've been taken all over the world in some of my favorite places. Again, why it's such like a collection of memories to me because it's so I don't know, I get almost like travel sick looking at it because I remember the places so vividly and I just want to be transported back there instantly. And some of them were taken by my brother. I started taking him on trips with me probably about five years ago and introduced him to photography and he was like, this is amazing. You get paid to do.
Speaker 2: This, And I was like, yeah, like you can.
Speaker 1: Too, And so he was a lifeguard at the time, and he started he kept his stage and he stayed as lifeguard for a while, but started doing photography and videography himself.
Speaker 2: So I think there's probably a.
Speaker 1: Handful in there that are taken by him, and then there's another handful that are taken by my ex partner as well.
Speaker 3: Amazing, and I would love as this. We like to give a lot of actionable tips to our audience, So I would love for you to kind of speak on if someone is in the same spot where they you know, they really want to pursue their passions and do something they love, which in society today, I feel like sometimes or most of the time, we're kind of told not to do that and to pursue the safe option and you know, to do what we should do rather than what we want to do. What advice would you have for that person?
Speaker 4: Don't listen to the people who are telling you otherwise.
Speaker 1: No, I just I don't know. I feel like it's almost like your soul's mission. It's our dama to uncover these things that we're intended to do, like that is why we're here. And so I think just following your curiosities and uncovering your passions and the things that you really love doing. And those things will often find you so even if you're not intentionally seeking them out, or maybe they'll just creep up on you when you're least expecting them, or maybe it's something that you've known your entire life that you want to do. I think it's almost like it's not even a choice. It's almost like you need to do those things because if you don't, you will fall into them effortlessly or accidentally anyway. And I feel like that's kind of what it was like for me with the book, is that I knew I loved writing, and.
Speaker 4: I thought, yeah, one day I'd make a book of.
Speaker 1: It, but didn't actually know how that would come about. And I think that once you know who you are and you're firm in that belief and you can stand up for yourself and you know your values and your worth, the universe recognizes that and starts conspiring for you. Everything it does happens for you, not against you.
Speaker 3: Ah, you're literally like reading all my favorite quotes. Oh, I love that so much, and I couldn't agree more. I'm such a big believer in you know, when you have and I say this all the time, it's like when you have a desire put on your heart, like don't ignore it, Like, don't ignore it. It is there for a reason and you're meant to explore it and see what happens. And even if it's you know, not the end goal or you know, what you do for a career, is like, it's put on your heart for a reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're always where you're meant to be.
Speaker 1: I think that's a really softening a softening reminder as well.
Speaker 3: It feels like a bit of a relief.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely part of the process. I love that.
Speaker 3: Okay, Sianna, I want to just finish off the interview with a couple of like questions, So tell us about your morning routine. I'm sure how you know. We already spoke about your gratitude and your yoga, but what does your morning routine look like?
Speaker 2: I love mornings.
Speaker 1: Mornings are sacred and they just prime you for the day and it sets the tone. And so I think it's really important to cultivate a really clear morning routine and something that you not just rely on, but it almost helps to like I don't know, soften you.
Speaker 2: Out or like prep you for the day.
Speaker 1: So there's a couple of things that I like to do every morning or most mornings. Again I'm human. Sometimes I sleep in past twenty five alarms.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: But I think connection to self, connection to source, and connection to others is really important. And I have a couple of things that I do each day or pretty much every day if I can. Every day, I'll make my bed very first thing before I even like walk out of my room, before I even take out my retainer.
Speaker 2: Like literally first thing I.
Speaker 1: Do is make my bed, and so then I've achieved something before I've done anything else, which I love.
Speaker 2: And then I'll meditate for twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: I like to move my body, whether it be going for a walk outside, taking my shoes off on the sand, or going for a swim some how, like just moving, connecting to nature, yoga, whatever it is. Mindfulness and gratitude I love. I'm huge on that. So again, whether it be writing it down or just feeling it and embodying it, and then.
Speaker 4: Connection to mother nature as well.
Speaker 1: And so sometimes on most days it'll be I like to wake up as early as I can. Sometimes I'm exhausted and I sleep in a lot snooth, so many alarms. I'm not actually a morning person. I don't find it easy to get up, but I don't like missing a sunrise if I can. So in winter it's been different because I don't like any up with the cold, so I have been sleeping in but normally, and I'll get a little bit better now that someone's coming back around. I like to wake up just before the sun rise and either meditate beforehand, or wake up and then go down to.
Speaker 2: The beach and meditate on the beach.
Speaker 1: But before I go out, I'll wash my face, I brush my teeth, I tongue scrape, do a face soil, and I have an elixa, whether it just be caging water and lemon, or whether it be some kind of water a body bloom and which is like a digestive thing and some lemon, or I have a medicinal mushroom and cacao and black ginger what I call an adulthole chocolate just because it's it's kind of spicy.
Speaker 2: With the ginger.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, gradu, your parodies go out and move, do some yoga, and then I like to get into my emails and my work after I've been primed the right way.
Speaker 3: I love that, and I couldn't agree more. I'm such a morning person. I need to do like my little morning routine to really feel myself so I can get into my day. Do you have like a no phone rule in your morning routine?
Speaker 1: I guess I do, but not religiously, as in I definitely notice how much better I feel when I don't use my phone straight away. And so yeah, I like to get through the morning routine first, but not exclusively, which I should probably maybe try to do.
Speaker 2: But like I wake up.
Speaker 1: With my alarm on my phone, like I need to just get I don't know, a separate alarm, or get deeper sleep so that I can just wake up naturally a five o'clock.
Speaker 2: I don't know how anyone can do that.
Speaker 1: If anyone is out there and they just naturally wake up at five o'clock, I envy you.
Speaker 2: I'm so jealous of you. It's so hard to get out of bed.
Speaker 3: That is so funny. I'm someone who's like I'm very light sensitive. So if like we have blackout curtains so I don't wake up, but if the curtains were to be open, I would one hundred percent wake up with the sun. It's like, but it's annoying to.
Speaker 2: Me because no, I'm so jealous.
Speaker 1: I sleep with my windows open every single night because I'm like, I need to wake up with the sun, and if I have them closed, I will not wake up until like two pm.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's bad.
Speaker 4: That's such a good sleeper that it's frustrating.
Speaker 3: Oh, that is hilarious. Well, one last question to finish off the interview and then I'll let you go. And this is another question that I've been asking all my guests, and is what advice do you give yourself when you're having moments or self doubt or fear around something new. What is the pep talk you tell yourself?
Speaker 1: I think just have ten seconds of radical, insane courage and vulnerability and just be open to trying something new, because we all know that we regret the things that we didn't try more than the things that you did. Like, I don't even know who wrote that. It's like the most quoted quote ever. I'm pretty sure, but it's honestly, but it's it's that way for a reason because I've never regretted trying something new. Even if I hated it or I didn't enjoy doing it, I learned from it. And I think that's that's why we're here, just to explore an experiment and adventure with curiosity and playful childlike curiosity at that.
Speaker 3: I love that so much. Thank you so much, Sianna. And could you let the audience know where they can find you and where they can find your amazing book.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course you can find me on Instagram, Siana release s j A n A E l I s on YouTube as well and my website, and then the book is available if you want a direct link, just from the link in my Instagram bio.
Speaker 3: Amazing and I'll make sure I put that in the show notes as well, guys, so you can go check that out. Thank you so much, Danna. It has been an absolute pleasure. Sorry, I'm commpletely mumbling my words.
Speaker 1: Don't even worry about it.
Speaker 3: It has been an absolute pleasure to have you on the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. You're a little bubble of sunshine.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you. And that is it for today's episode. Thank you so much for listening. I hope you enjoyed this chat and guys, if you did love this episode, if you love the podcast, please give us a review or make sure you're subscribed. It really helps out the Rising Conker podcast us. And if you do love the podcast and you love the conversations that we have, I think that you would love our Facebook group, So come and join us. It's just Rise and Conquer podcast community. And yeah it's a private group where we chatted all things we do on the podcast. But thank you so much for listening. I'll chat to you in our next step.
Speaker 2: It was for me, there's no there's all the time for dreams and